So what happened to modding?

Aside from a few franchises still getting love, I'm not seeing much in the way of mods nowadays.

Whatever happened to the modding community? Are they all just on Steam workshop?

A small group of goons ruined it by suggesting they should be paid for modding.

Go look for them you stupid fucks

Full conversion mods? You can blame the rise of free to use game engines like Unity. Shit like reskins or character swaps are still common.

It also depends on how popular the game is and how easy it is to mod though there are exceptions. Good example would be GTA; it's a pain in the ass to mod, but people found a way.

That reminds me, I should work on my shitty """game"""

modding is dead. gaming community went to shit.

Some e-celeb modders got greedy and thought getting pity shekels from companies was worth the clusterfuck of ownership issues they'd leave in their wake. This was the death blow of trust between modders, especially in the Bethesda games community.

Communities filled with plebbitors who are new to PC gaming want you to wipe their ass for them when the littlest incompatibility comes up and will go apeshit if they don't get their way.

It's over. The old guard has retreated and are either devoting their time to indie games that will blend in with the sea or they've left modding altogether and are no longer doing it for free.

This has always been the case, though.

What's wrong with demanding compatability? It's my game and I should be able to mod it any way I want to.

It's not "your" game. Every game purchase whether physical or digital has included a clause in the EULA that states you've only purchased a "license" to play the game. It just so happens you have the data laying around and can modify it.

This is to protect them from other companies from reverse engineering products to gain a competitive edge, but some companies are more malicious about it and punish/ban players are they are able to.

Another problem is the drive for "games as a narrative device". How dare you deface Bethesda's masterwork tale with things I don't approve of!

You mean modding sites are sometimes corrupt assfucks who sometimes fuck over a guy who can prove he owns a mod that was hosted on their site without credits? Or maybe how celeb modders are now demanding cash on their leet modding skills, and are now working closely with companies selling their mods in the hopes of getting a job as a developer.

I know a few got industry jobs or simply busy with life. I have no idea if there will be another generation competent enough to get it kicking again.

I think he means people who have no idea what they are doing try to mod and if any problems come up they screech at the mod maker to fix it because "your mod broke my game". I appreciate it when modders provide advice and help on how to troubleshoot or fix issues with their mod but I don't expect them to do everything for me when I have other mods installed. If some dumb shit wants to play Skyrim he expects modders to have served everything up on a silver platter and will go apeshit on them if all 200 of his mods don't work perfectly together. God help them if they only provide instructions on how to fix likely problems that involve things like manually editing files or using console commands.

and now whenever a game comes out if it mods are totally comprised of 1 or 2 e-celeb modders trying to hit the big time it's a whole boat load of faggots going "I can't wait too see what mods will be made" and not one of them saying "I can't wait to make mods for this"

It's a thankless job, bro. Well, you don't even get paid so it's not even a job, let's called a thankless work then.
And as games become more complex and intricate on the inside that is, modding them also takes more and more effort.

So yeah, fuck it. Want mods? Try to make one yourself.

A hobby isn't "thankless work" user. You thank yourself simply by doing it. That's why modders mod - for the fun of it, to satisfy their own desires for their favorite games. That modders release their mods to other people at all is what makes modding communities a wonderful thing.

Yeah that kind of behavior is garbage.
Paid Mods, however, would necessarily change all that.

If you spend money on a product, you have a reasonable expectation as a customer that the product will work as advertised. If it breaks down on you, the creator of that product is responsible for troubleshooting, replacing or reimbursing you within a reasonable time frame.

Thank fuck paid mods never got off the ground - and probably never will - but if they ever did, there would be so many secondary shitstorms it would be like dropping a lantern in a fireworks factory.

I may be projecting, but you sound like somebody that never worked on some serious project.
But I may just be cynical and you should not listen to me.

I think modding became less pervalent because of how games are tied to multiplayer these days, which limits their moddability.

Multiplayer games, rise of mod popularity and the resulting flood of stupid texture hacks (always been a thing but never to this sheer prevalence), games not being designed around being easily modded unless they're Bethesda games (which is accomplished through not using any engine more recent than Morrowind's), free game engines.

Sometimes I want to do some minor graphical mods, but usually it only comes up regarding games that don't really have much of a mod community or official mod support at all. In which case, while I know my way around Photoshop and 3D modelling software, extracting stuff/figuring out that particular game's exact formatting/etc on my own is simply not gonna happen. So I end up doing nothing.

Beyond that, as others have noted, with indie gaming being more of a thing now and full-fledged engines like Unity accessible to all, why do one of those huge overhaul mods when you could make your own game with a similar amount of work? I know that's sure how I look at it, so I'd imagine plenty of other people see it that way too. Mods used to be the only hope of us starry eyed dreamers to basically do a game the way we thought it should have been done, but now, not so much.

why would anyone waste time making mods when it's so easy to make your own games these days and actually make money? after indie games like minecraft and goat simulator started making easy millions people stopped making mods.

It's a real shame; I think the only recent major release to have full mod support is XCOM 2.

mark thread?

Modding turned from something that you do to add to the game into something that you do to improve aspects of a game into something that you do to make a game enjoyable in the first place.

And they still can't fix the game.

Like the rest of western society, it's been corrupted by jews

People in general stopped caring about modding so no more amateur modders creating scenes for more recent games, and old school veteran modders stay on whatever game they're most familiar with. There are still new mods released for games like Doom, DN3D or HL despite the availability of more modern and deeper modding platforms. It can be down to many things, like the global feel of the engine or nostalgia, but in the end there's a lack of modding knowledge on more recent games which result in less modding altogether.

Nowadays video games is a big enough field to keep you entertained with new releases all year long, especially if you go indie. Most people just jump to a new game when they get bored. A pirate or someone who bought shitload of games during Steam sales has enough games on standby to be able to afford just dropping any game when it stops being fun.

This is, IMO, the biggest difference with 20 years ago. You don't need to extend the life of the game you currently have because you won't get a new one for months. Games have become disposable entertainment pieces in a world flooded with such things thanks to the internet.
There's also the technical aspect but this is more an issue with how much knowledge the modding scene has.

Paid mods are the only thing that could reinvigorate the scene.

Based Gaben.

Nobody mods for fun anymore. They all want to use it as a get rich quick scheme, so everyone focuses on the few games where you get paid for your mods and games that don't have a system in place for that get ignored.

We said the same thing about DLC ten years ago. It's only a matter of time.

This happened.

The Total Conversion died. I haven't heard of any recent Total Conversions outside of the classic fps (Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Douk, etc.). Honestly, I could pay for a standalone Total Conversion.

No it isnt you fucking retard, plenty of modders have gotten donations for making a mod people enjoy

There's a lot of people currently getting gud at source 2 by making Dota 2 maps

Wouldn't surprise me if most of these guys went to make actual games or full mods once source 2 is fully released.

One can only hope we'll have another sourcemods resurgence