Joining the Armed Forces

Calling any and all Holla Forumsack vets/active duty: I need your advice.

I'm in my mid 20s, got a degree in Finance, and I've been working a couple of years in the corporate world doing data analytics. I'm tired of working with 80% women, and white collar work is nihilistic as fuck.

I'm feeling drawn to the armed services. At least to take a shot at getting into OCS. I'm already /fit/, and have no kids or S/O, no house, nothing to tie me down.

Am I fucking stupid for even thinking about this?

Money pit? I'm afraid I don't follow
I should've mentioned in the OP that I also don't have any debt, but I'm getting close to a down payment for a house. Before I tie myself to a mortgage I'd like to at least consider Uncle Sam

Either way I'd be fucking owned to an extent.

You're not. I'm in a similar boat and just submitted my paperwork. I dont mind talking in private though. Post an email.

Here's my plan.

You have a degree making you eligible to become an officer. As a former enlisted sailor in the Navy, I can say in my experience being an officer is much better.
Since Trump is President I think it is a good time to join. I can see the military being unpozzed under his reign. Lots of damage to undo from 8 obongo years though

Not worth it at the moment give it a year and check back in to see if the poz has died down

lurk moar and you will get your answer
this is not a seldom discussed topic on Holla Forums

/thread

Good plan man

that's what I've heard from a few of the guys I know who've been in.

With my background in tech and analysis I'd love to do some intelligence work, but I hear they generally stick you where they need you

download
The Wisdom of Psychopaths

I don't know how it is for officers, but I was able to pick my job based on what I qualified for from my ASVAB and physical, and probably other factors.
I'm assuming you can do tech/analysis/intelligence job based on your education. I have a friend who got a meteorology degree, then became an officer specializing in that.

It's all about your priorities man. You're still young and you have no dependents, so there really is no better time to serve if that's really what you want to do.
Just finished my 4 years as enlisted air force and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Lot of valuable life experience, gave me the perspective I needed to find a meaningful career on the civilian side.

For me I felt I had to serve to prove something to myself, you know? Just to know that I could do it and be successful at it. Not to mention there are a lot of tangible and intangible benefits for being known as a "veteran".

That's all I'll say unless you had some kind of specific question; if you're interested in the air force I'm quite familiar with it.

Air Force is my top choice, I think if I chose to make it a career they'd be best suited for that.

I'm motivated by a lot of the same things that got you it sounds like. Living a purely civilian life makes me feel like a moral coward

Pretty much this. Othetwise some 20 y/o asshole who joined at 17 like myself is just going to cuck you into taking the trash out and scrubing the truck-stop shit nightmare that is a head on an aircraft carrier for your first few years. Ensigns get paid as much asmost senior enlisted. You have to be an idiot not to commision.

Chair force faggots

You're not really a coward, but I know the feeling. Being enlisted in the AF is fucking easy if you're not retarded, can't speak for the officer side but as I understand it's also cake up until you make O-3. The difference is as an officer you have a longer mandatory commitment AFAIK (6 to 8 years). I would speak to a recruiter if that's a big deal for you. Personally I never wanted to make it a career; it's easy to become complacent and lazy in the military. Not to mention your skills may not transfer at all into a civilian career once you get out, so time you could have spent becoming more experienced on the outside you're kind of shitting away.

Unlike enlisted there is no guaranteed job stability, they can and will kick you out at the end of your contract if they don't need you anymore. Just the nature of the beast. Seeing as how you already have experience on the outside I don't think that'd be as big of a deal for you.

Say what you will man, the AF treats their enlisted the best of any branch. The only time I had to share a room was in training.

You're right about the longer commitment, though you have an option to do your remainder in the reserves after you've done 4, at least that's what I gathered from google.

However 8 years is something to think about, I'd be hitting mid 30s by then.

"Palace chase" we call it, didn't realize officers had that option but I suppose it makes sense.
If that's true then I might consider it more, I'm turned off by the 8 year commitment as well. That said serving in the reserves is stupid easy in more ways than one. Unlike the active duty side the reserves is willing to let you go if you find that it interferes with your life. Sounds kind of counter-intuitive but it's true. For instance as a reservist if I decide that it's interfering with my work or causing me undue stress I can just request to be let go and 9 times out of 10 your commander will wave you goodbye.

If you're interested in doing half active, half reserve, I would suggest speaking with a reserve recruiter so you have an idea of what's expected of you as a reservist officer and whether or not that's even something you'd want to consider.

If you just want to get out of your comfort zone so you don't feel like a "coward", do some intense training. Ironman competitions, shooting schools, push yourself to your limits. You don't need to be in the military to do that and you'd get much of the same benefits of having military discipline.

To give a similar story, one of the best SF dudes I've ever met (frmer Marine here) was basically the exact same as you. He was former wall street automaton, got bored with shit, decided to do OCS for the Army with the explicit intention of going the Green Beret route. Since there is no "baby SF" option (enlisted men can enlist and go straight to SF indoc/selection tryouts outta boot/basic — those that make it are called "SF babies", or 'Special Forces since birth) for officers (that I know of), keeping your eye on the ball to get an 18A slot option would require extreme discipline as it's really REALLY easy to get off track as your career progresses.

In all, if this is something you REALLY want, and this isn't some 'slump busting' idea that'll wear itself out the first year after you get out of OCS/OBC/Jump/etc schools, then go for it. If you choose to do .mil then at least get a combat arms MOS.

No point in doing the mil unless you plan on actually doing mil shit. Being an admin POG do-nothing is probably the worst of both worlds.

No conjecture. No meme spouting. Only Honesty.

I was active duty, army, enlisted, for just under four years. Very good option for a young man from a working class background. I now have a car and a house. Didn't really use the GI bill to it's fullest potential on account of being a shithead. You see when you only make 20k a year but have zero expenses, the money really accumulates if you're conscious of saving up. Think about it. No housing, food or clothing expenses. It's deducted from your check automatically. I didn't even get deployed and I joined in 09'. I don't know… I'd do it again. I'll tell you this though, when my time was up I ran out of there. A soldier's life isn't supposed to be comfortable.

WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO Holla Forums?

Yes, go join the army, you retarded faggot, and fight for israel. You fucking retard.

Oh wait, go join some other branch of the military and fight for israel, because that option is so much better.

Holy fuck, Holla Forums, how the times have changed. I didn't think I'd see the day where Holla Forums gave up the redpill on the military in favor of becoming retarded alt-right faggots. Fuck this election cycle and the children it has brought. Lurk moar, faggots, or go die for israel.

OP post some contact info (like a throwaway email from cock.li) if you really want to join the AF. I can help you out.

What was your MOS? If I was younger dude without any business world qualifications I'd just go enlist.

I've thought about going all in like this, was thinking more about USMC though than SF. I'll read up on some of the options there

what'd you think of the Marines?