Why are my mouse controls so laggy and "soft" when I have vync on...

Why are my mouse controls so laggy and "soft" when I have vync on? Especially in TF2 there is a difference like day and night. I also noticed it in Overwatch but I could swear the difference wasn't that big and it was awful either way.

Can someone help? Is it normal? Should I turn vsync off in FPSs?

I see no benefit to having vsync on in vidya in direct comparison

There's really no point to vsync, screen tearing hardly even happens in modern games on modern hardware, most tearing is handled by the card itself nowadays, all vsync does is slow down your shit

vsync is good for movies, bad for vidya

But you see some obvious tearing in almost all games? Overwatch, Crysis, Witcher 3, GTA and it literally makes Sleeping Dogs unplayable.

Also, does someone know if its normal that it makes mouse controls laggy as fuck?

Literally autism tbh fam
Imo when upping graphical settings resolution is priority, then texture/model quality, then AA, then filtering, and finally vsync

I never have had vsync on, the moment I start a game I go into the options and if it has vsync, I just turn it off.

I see no tearing whatsoever in any of my vidya with vsync off

Doesn't sound normal that it makes mouse controls shit but if it's impacting your controls I'd turn it off and keep it off

It feels like input lag but it's not. That effect happens in pretty much any instance where vsync is turned on.

People actually can play without vsync? What the actual fuck?

No difference for me with vsync on or off besides worse performance, strikes me as one of those placebo resource-hog settings you turn on when you've got far more computer than any one man should have

So what is it when it isn't actual lag but feels like lag?

Why would you need 16 GB ram for vsync? I have 200+ FPS either way in TF2 and mouse is just laggy as fuck.

*and TF2 isn't modern at all.

Vsync creates input lag by it's very nature. Just turn it off if you don't want to have gimped aiming.

V sync waits until your monitor is ready to recieve the frames so it doesn't tear.

Which introduces input lag.

None of these games have tearing inherently. It's your monitor. Get a better one. I have a high Hz monitor and practically nothing tears on it as long as there's no FPS cap.

Vsync is mostly useful in two situations:

-You're staring at a flickering light source, such as a torch

-You're staring at a waterfall or something

In these two instances vsync will help visually, a lot.
In any other instance it really doesn't matter, especially compared to how much resources it takes as a trade off, you can just turn it off, don't trust anyone telling you otherwise.

However, what you are experiencing isn't tied to vsync, or rather not just that, ESPECIALLY in Overwatch what you are experiencing is a separate thing called mouse acceleration.
Make sure to always turn mouse acceleration off, editing .inis if so required.

Bump your mouse polling rate up to 1000. You could also get a 120hz or higher monitor as that reduces screen tearing. I keep V-Sync and triple buffering on because without it games stutter due to the framerate changing.

I never noticed or knew what screen tearing was until I played dark souls 2 without it on.

I think for most people like me it just doesn't occur enough to notice, or it only happens at, like, the bottom of the screen.

Are you saying you've played with vsync on your whole life?

I play everything without it. Who wants fucking delayed inputs? Are you watching a movie or playing a game? Non-tearing screen and unlimited FPS = the fucking way gaming is supposed to be.

Seriously. Turn that shit off for a long time and then try going back to it. You'll wonder how you were ever this much cancer.

Mouse acceleration doesn't make a mouse feel "laggy." It simply changes the relationship of the distance moved on the mouse, the speed of that movement, and the resulting movement on the screen.

And yes, vsync does introduce input lag.

Most mice capable of 1000hz are usually set to 1000hz out of the box.

Reading that made my eyes lag.

Really comes down to how fast your card can render. If you have anything above 75fps you won't see it in normal gameplay.

OK, I have a 60 HZ monitor and just capped my framerate at 59 FPS via AMD driver. I think the delay is gone now but I could swear I still sense a little delay with vsnyc on. Just very slight.

Also, for some reason FRAPS still tells me I have 60 FPS in all games tested so far, though.

OK, now tried 30 FPS over the AMD driver and I definitely have more than 30 FPS… So it doesn't seem to work at all. Weird, why does the dely seem less annoying then?

And why does it not work capping FPS to 30 FPS via AMD anyway? I mean I know AMD is shit but wtf?

Just kill me now.

hey, faggot, you can set your frame-rate to match your monitors refresh-rate in overwatch. No lag, no tearing.

Yeah but you have to set it to one digit below your monitor refresh-rate to avoid delay when vsync is on.

And yes the mouse lag is fucking atrocious in Overwatch, IIRC even with vsync off for some reason.

i dont even see tearing.

Holy shit, why are 30 FPS on PC so horrible? I mean it's always bad but on PC it's so much worse. Weird.

Overwatch has mouse acceleration? Haven't seen any option.

The game being intended to run at 60 FPS probably has something to do with that

No.

yes

There are many threads on this on other forums with people going into detail. Look it up. I'm too lazy myself.

Apparently you can also avoid having 30 FPS looking worse on PC than on consoles with some tool.

If it's true what you say games that have consoles as lead platforms and run at 30 FPS on them would look fine at 30 FPS on PC but they look like shit regardless with constant stuttering.

The rendered frame gets buffered to stay in sync with your monitor so you will occasionally get frames rendered in the past giving you the feeling of input lag.

You should turn vsync off always unless you're in the minority of people it still benefits (hint: you aren't). Even if you technically were it isn't worth the hassle.-

Sure, would be a no-brainer but tearing is fucking disgusting in many games, especially with fast moving camera/mouse. Witcher 3, for example, due to many vertical lines and trees.