Old-ish exploration platformers

I'm looking for more games like pics related. Not "metroidvanias" or anything retarded like that. I want exploration platform games like these two, with little names for every room, catchy music or none at all, simple as fuck backgrounds and colors, that kind of stuff. I know that there may be some on Commodore 64 but I honestly know jack and shit about C64 because I never had one.

I'm open to suggestions.

The Goonies (1 and 2) for the NES. I think there might be a freeware version of the MSX game too.

You might be interested in Soul Brother, OP.

MSX one looks like more of what I'm looking for. The NES one is just too pretty looking.

Taking a look. You mean the browser one right?

La Mulana sounds like the thing for you.
I gave it a serious try but it was too hardcore for me, I'm more of an AtariXL/NES guy, not an MSX one.

I really liked VVVVVV.
I wish they made a new map.
No need to add anything new at all, just a new map with new zones. Mapping the game was the best part.

Kinda reminded me of Metroid 2 for some reason.

There's this old fucking game I played on the Amiga called Axel's Magic Hammer.

It looks like shit of course, but is brutally hardcore and super deep, complete with breaking walls for secrets and later levels being tastefully dungeon-like.

Easy to find but again, venture with caution because this can be punishing and is not for the kids. At least it's fair and not wilfully obtuse like La Mulana.

Seconding La Mulana, it's really good.

Already played the fuck out of it. Loved it. Waiting for 2.

i own a game called sorcerian which sounds a lot like what you're looking for. its more of an rpg but in-game it plays out as a side scroller once you have your party all equipped out. as i remember it has some really complex 2d dungeons with traps and secrets and difficult monster encounters.

cant take screenshots sadly because i dont have a floppy drive to install it, but i used to and it works in dosbox just fine.

There was a Dreamcast version of Sorcerian. I haven't played it, will do. Thanks.

The dizzy series invented names for rooms.

A Boy and His Blob has some good exploration.

Abbaye Des Morts might be something you're interested in.

Not a single mention of Exile, huh? It's got a bunch of different versions, but to my knowledge, the Amiga has the best one graphically.

Checking those out as well.

But user, "metroidvania" is just a convenient umbrella term for exploration platformers. I'm surprised this meme of hating the term has stuck around so long. People probably still hate "roguelite" even though it's a perfectly serviceable way of saying "casual shit game that borrows the barest fragments of an actually worthwhile genre".
Labels are useful for the sake of brevity if nothing else.

I recommend the Wonder Boy series, and the DraSle series - particularly Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard.
The latter two will really push your shit in and make your brain hurt unless you're the kind of faggot that uses guides and looks up solutions on the internet.

Also Little Nemo the Dream Master, since it hasn't been mentioned.

Pathetic.

Would Mayhem in Monsterland count?

a bit newer, but Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus

Is spelunker like Rick Dangerous? Because I'd throw that in as well.

That's more of a "cinematic" platformer though, not so much exploration. Already played them.

Still monitoring this thread.

WonderBoy III/WonderBoy IV

Metroidvania implies the ability to acquire upgrades, though, and doesn't necessarily have names for each room.

I liked the original version of YHtWtG much more than the steam version, purely because of the puzzle to get the true ending. The steam version's is a pain.

I suppose, though I'd argue that it's less acquiring upgrades and more unlocking new paths via gameplay. That can mean upgrades, or it can simply mean completing a difficult section to unlock a shortcut path or something of the kind.

terraria lol

It's also pretty Metroidvania-y, but at least the maps have names too.

i have heard that super metroid has some nice exploration levels.

Maybe the Blaster Master games, they always had a sense of exploration to me.

Nifflas' Within a Deep Forest and Knytt/Knytt Stories are breddy nice as far as exploration games go. Freeware.

Indie stuff before indie stuff was exclusively trash.

I'm not sure about the newer Knytt game. Something about the presentation is just wrong.

Exile
Cauldron 2
Impossible Mission 1, 2
Head Over Heels

Fuck, that looks good.