Recording games

Okay Holla Forums I need your help. I want to record some stuff and I'm tired of Dxtory fucking up videos longer than 1 minute. My videos are only ever like 30 seconds long and it's usually to make a webm or showcase a glitch I found in something. But when I'm waiting for something to happen or the video is like 54 seconds long, I want it to actually record instead of just giving me sound.
what is a free recording software for PC that you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/0jviE#selection-587.1-587.174
stackoverflow.com/questions/8299252/ffmpeg-chroma-key-greenscreen-filter-for-images-video
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OBS. It's practically the only choice

It doesn't just stream, it also records and lets you overlay a bunch of shit on the footage. watch a youtube video on how to use it

If you have a compatible Nvidia graphics card, shadowplay is not too bad.

You can actually take advantage of nVidia's hardware encoder with OBS. Just set the encoder to NVENC. There's no need to install the Bloatware Experience.

Setting up OBS is fucking brutal.

Meanwhile you can pirate FRAPS and be up and running in seconds because it just werks :^).

what

vs

I'll take the elegant, high quality solution every day of the weak.

FRAPS is less resource intensive, easier to use, and provides higher quality raw video at the expense of HDD space which I have in spades.

Bandicam the best :^)

Literally a millennial.

Shadowplay
OBS with hardware encoders

The rest is shit for anything above 1280x720@60fps, either due to disk i/o or CPU reqs.

Oh boy, I sure hope this doesn't turn into a generic insult without context.
I agree that he's a retard though

millennial is the new cuck

I'm sorry user, but that's not an argument :^).

Would you like to try again?

Wouldn't this be anyone under the age of 30?

I haven't used FRAPS in years so I have no idea how it is now. But I went from it to DxTory to OBS.

My old AMD Phenom X2 555 couldn't record at a good framerate/resolution with Fraps while it could with DxTory. I wanted 1920x1080 @ 30 fps or 1280x720 @ 60 fps with the game played at 1920x1080, if it indicates anything.

I ended up using only OBS since it hits those targets and doesn't leave gigantic uncompressed .avi's. I didn't consider multiple settings being a big deal since games have a similar amount too.

FRAPS is deprecated, enjoy your dead software.

Bitch please.

I've considered that since I've wanted to record Bayonetta gameplay, and obviously I can't use OBS to record Xbox games. I've hesitated and decided to ignore it for a while.

Had a friend complain about the input lag on an Avimedia capture card. And a lot of store descriptions advertise resolutions and frame rates below my target, so there's a lot of uncertainty.

Some people use HDMI splitter setups to avoid this, while some capture device manufacturers use passthrough modes where the video is up to speed so long as you haven't summoned a menu or something from the capture device.

He's talking about anyone under 18 in 2016, it gets a bit complicated: 'millennial' actually means his own generation Y, born 1982-1998. But, it also is what gen Y calls the following gen Z, because so many millennials are literally this stupid: "calling people myself is the biggest insult in the world, lol, so I will". They have completely swallowed the baby boomer kool-aid of hating yourself because your parents actually told you to.

Or those people think that "millenial" means "born after the millenium shift", have you thought about that? Or do you always fall back to the Freudian option, ignoring Occam's Razor?

very nice

You're mentally wrong.

The most viable option today is either OBS, Raptr or Shadowplay.
Nothing else.

asswipes

You forgot

It takes an insane amount of time to get obs to record video to a quality that doesn't look like complete ass. If you have already figured that out it's fine, but as you say, Fraps takes the guess work out.

oh yeah use ffmpeg or Blender to edit your videos.

lmao
try harder next time

What about taking screenshots?
I used MSI afterburner a while back, which are similar but work better?

If by "150kb" you mean "3500kb", then sure. OBS is for streaming. If you easily configured it to record great video, cool, but most people aren't going to have that experience straight out of the box. If you are just trying to record lossless video it isn't a great solution.

recording loseless video is already taxing.

Too afraid of big filesize?

I'm not arguing, being called "a millenial" is pretty accurately the shittest thing you might call someone, it's just the self-awareness you lack. The possibility is that gen z turns out less retarded if they ever grow up than gen y, who never did.

Which is exactly why publications started to refer to them as a group and invented a word for it for you to co-opt.

If I was afraid of big filesize, I wouldn't be recording lossless.

lossless is still a compression, i don't see a problem.
OBS still lets you control of a bitrate.

I am not saying that's what the term "millenial" is. I am saying that's how the people who call others "millenial" use it. You're conflating ignorance of a meaning of the term (which is a bad thing on its own) with self-hatred (hurr durr, his parents raised him to hate himself so he calls others millenials as insult and consciously insults himself as well), which is fucking retarded.

That things awesome. I learned that it could losslessly concatenate two videos and do the greenscreen overlays.

Though I really need better batch scripts for getting a webm underneath a file size limit. The one on the /g/ wiki doesn't work sometimes.

i can't go against the generation clash.
i still hate ppl that know less than me and make stupid threads instead of just googling the info or just making the simple observations.

I tried encoding with ffmpeg a few times. Ended up with black video every time. I think I'm too lazy to learn to use it.

The one time I tried to use it to record video instead of just using Fraps to get a raw to encode manually, I set up pretty high bitrates and it was outputting really fucking awful video. Thanks for posting your settings though, that was helpful, I'll give it a shot in the future and see how it fairs.

you can?

or you can look up a recommended settings guide and configure it in 10 minutes for whatever purpose you lazy fuck

I worked in an IT help desk previously for 5 years and OP has triggered me, I want to kill him.

Cant you just use -fs xM to limit the file size to x mb?

I did. I literally used the exact same settings as guides that were posted, it was giving really terrible results.

i couldn't stay in there for a less than a half a year, it had SLA policy
how?

Bandicam is decent if you ask me, but I'm not that big of enthusiast regarding such stuff, so my opinion worth shit on this subject.

I never got a black video as an output before. At first I used it for simple stuff like making quick clips of videos. It's really fast with
-vcodec copy -acodec copy
on the parameters.

Command would look like
ffmpeg -ss -i -to -vcodec copy -acodec copy

Yeah, but lossless concatenation is for mp4 only.
archive.is/0jviE#selection-587.1-587.174

stackoverflow.com/questions/8299252/ffmpeg-chroma-key-greenscreen-filter-for-images-video

Whoa, didn't know about that one. I was using the scripts that /g/ posted when webm's were first announced.

YOU WANT ME TO BE YOUR PAJEET HUH? Fine, join the Holla Forums discord and go into channel Apple Tree. Don't waste me goddamn time.

I couldn't care less user. Fraps + encoding in another program is always fine for me for lossless, and shadowplay or obs for streaming.

sorry I thought you were OP in my rage

if I'm not wrong that will just cut the video once it reaches the filesize limit and whatever is left of the video is lost

Fraps is discontinued since 2013 and inefficient as fuck (150gb files to record 30m at 60fps)
I hate fucking OBS but is the best way to go at the moment

So, what's the story with this webm? Did she get banned or anything, or is it still okay when vagina does it?

Ban for what? Milking thirtsy betas? Fuck it, it beats working for a living.

Twitch has banned even suggestive lewdity some time ago. Shit like cleavages and for men, you can't stream shirtless (not even joking).

she probably got banned

twitch doesn't like whores

I use MSI Afterburner. It's free, it allows you to choose your video format (uncompressed, h264, or source from external plugins like AMD's AMF VCE) and container format (mkv, mp4 etc), and a number of other options including screen capture, GPU overclocking, and monitoring. You can use it to record your desktop, you can use it to record emulations, and basically anything that runs on DirectX.

Kaceytron is still allowed to stream isnt she?

So the other one is better?

the Studio one has better preview system and cool resizing/positioning gui.

OBS can't hardware with AMD and nvidia already have the best own recording