Pocket Universe or Never Happened?

Long story short, using psone and recently beat MG:S. Now after seeing both endings it feels like mgs1 is disconnected from the rest of the series. Just a few things that don't add up if following the series that is in mgs1
Even if there are some information given only if a specific route is chosen chosen, key events don't really change in early game. Thus future games contradict mgs1 in those key moments.
For example, Meryl in mgs4 is set her mind to surpass Snake. But in mgs1 Meryl learns about how there is no glory in what she does and obviously wants to live a more normal life at the end.
So for any future games to make sense it would mean that mgs1 as we played it happened in a secluded pocket universe or shadow moses never happened the way we played it and the only key things that were present and were factually recorded to be there are
Anything else is just added in flavor or cover up. What says you faggot? Who was the real favorite lieutenant?

You have to keep in mind each MGS game is planned to be the last, MGS1 just ends, MGS2 ends with a deconstruction of the series, and Kojima letting it go, MGS3 is an apology for MGS2 and a nice seperate prequel finisher, MGS4 is a comment on the series getting old and worn out, and a bit fuck you to everyone who wanted it to continue. I can't comment on PW or MGS5 since I didn't play 5 and didn't like PW so I didn't get far into it. Each one ends up being it's own canon as it retcons stuff for it's own purpose.

Snake died in the tanker mission from mgs2. His brother plissken is actually liquidus snek.

Pls, metal gear is fun series, but taking it seriously is pants on head retarded.

Everything up until MGS3 fits together quite nicely. The huge retcons didn't really start until PO and MGS4.

It's not so much that it's not canon, that later installments in the series don't respect canon. Metal Gear Solid 1 to 2 is solid, while 3 provides some background on the enigmatic Big Boss. 4 is literally just taking a bunch of words from the old series and playing mad libs until it gets a coherent story (and kojimbo is on record admitting that).

Kojima's contract at Konami explicitly stated that he has to retcon at least 25% of the story from the previous game in the series.

Enjoyable, but like many Japanese developers, they go with one-shot themes for each game of the series while never thinking of making everything coherent.

If only MGSV didn't have its budget cut and Kojima was let go, maybe we could have seen more.

This. Anyone that's played MGS2 knows as much.

I agree kojima went wild after mgs1. But there were far more connections between mgs2-5. It kind of felt like mgs1 never happened and if it did not the way we watched it.
Metal Gear solid-Grey Fox is BB most trusted lieutenant. MGS5-Venom Snake most trusted lieutenant. And if other anons are saying Metal Gear big boss was venom snake the entire time than Grey Fox and Venom shared the same space. This is kinda what I mean by mgs being its own thing. Other sequels share information and connect. But if you toss in mgs1 than information and facts don't add up.

PW is where the tech level gets inconsistent as the AI weapons and Peace Walker are introduced here. The mammal pod in Phantom Pain is the primary AI for Peace Walker.

Aside from crazy tech level inconsistencies, PW is mostly about Big Boss coping with the Boss's death and towards the endgame, how fucked his relationship with Zero got.

After Paz hijacks ZEKE and attemps to nuke the east coast to frame the MSF as a terrorist organization, Big Boss commits himself completely to the MSF and the eventual founding of Outer Heaven, as he had interpreted the Boss's will as creating a world where wars would always be fought, and thus, where soldiers would always be needed.

But Colonel, I read about you and Solid Snake in "In the Dark of Shadow Moses"!

Basically, the relationship between Meryl and Snake failed. They both went back to what they knew, which was the battlefield.

The failure relationship was never explained, it just happened. Odd considering how mgs1ended with a deep metaphor for a new life between dave/Meryl. Also Snake being okay with his 5 year retirement before mgs1. Also with Meryl coming to terms that she never really wanted to be a soldier. This was made clear in the bathroom scene. So all of this was thown right out the window post mgs1. Not saying the sequels are dumb and inconsistent. Just that mgs1 itself seems to be its own adventure disconnect from the mgs mythos altogether.

It all makes sense if you pretend MGS4 never happened.

grey fox is venom snake

Op is retarded
Otacon escape is true ending

Kojima wanted to be done with metal Gear after that. You know what happened.

4 being the chronological ending is why every character is summed up as "life doesnt care what you want to do"

Couldn't have summed it up better myself, Kojima shit the bed on TPP's story hardcore, ignoring the 80s equivalent of nano machines, Skullface's plan makes no fucking sense if you actually dissect it

He was. Campbell refers specifically to Metal Gear 2

Snake and Meryl's relationship obviously didn't work out (which may have had something to do with the fact that Snake can't have children) so both went back to the only thing they knew; fighting.

He never said that he wanted to leave robotics. He said he didn't want to be used as a pawn to make nuclear weapons, and he wasn't. None of this is incongruous with him leaving ArmsTech to join an anti-Metal Gear NGO with Snake

That was a mis-translation.

Liquid said something like 'Father always told me I was inferior' when the original Japanese line and the one in Twin Snakes was something like 'He chose me, knowingly, to be the inferior one'. There's no indication that Liquid and Big Boss actually met, Liquid's grudge against Big Boss is based on the idea that Big Boss chose Liquid to have all the recessive genes when in fact Big Boss didn't know anything about Les Enfants Terribles.

I'm pretty sure MGS made it clear that Snake wasn't 'okay' with his retirement.

I think Kojima sorta ran with it in TPP though, at least in the deleted scene with the island, Venom basically told Liquid to eat shit and die

I think i've just come to the conclusion that you don't play as Solid Snake in MGS1, you play as Raiden playing Snake
That means Solid Snake is only the star of one Metal Gear Solid game.
mfw that game is MGS4.

MGS4 has VR missions, and those can be even more realistic than 2.

on top of that one of Snake's death animations is him being strung up on psycho mantis' string

DEEPEST

LORE
O
R
E

Snake died on the tanker user, you're playing as old Pliskin in MGS4

Does it? I only remember a weapons training or something. Don't know how i missed that there was something substantial.

Really i meant that he had access to them in MGS1 specifically. Was he running through them on the ship after Campbell picked him up?

Like a Fournicus Snake? Fuck me i'm willing to believe it

No it doesn't. All it has is a Virtual Range.

That in the Japanese version, user? Doubting my sanity so rewatched opening sequence of north american and line aint there, least not after the others. Snake says something similar to Naomi in response to her 'anti-freezing peptide' shit.

If you do the VR missions and start a new file, you get that line.

Clears that up. gracias.

See, each game has just enough links and familiar shit to link with the rest and be called MGS but they're really all their own games. Furthermore, Kojima is notorious for trying to give some meta message to the player and other such things and to achieve those ends it seems like he molds the story around that regardless if it makes sense or not. That's why you get retcons and off the wall sort of bullshit. Sometimes it works out alright though.

MGS1: These are rather simple here. War is ugly. Killing is not glorious and just because you're the "good guy" killing "bad guys" doesn't make it any better. Finally, that legends do not exactly equate to the real deal. There is Snake rejecting the idea that he's legendary when Meryl meets him. There is the idea of a legend of Big Boss that if you played the MG games you would realize is crazy because Big Boss is essentially just a mad man and an all around asshole.

MGS2: Themes of repetition and the roles of identity. Despite what the story says, the S3 plan is still to make another solid snake. The idea here is that you can take a person and mold them through their experiences and if that is true then if you set up similar experiences to one person you should be able to make a sort of copy of that person. That is the excuse for the meta theme of sequels just being the same as the previous one but with prettier shit and maybe a few changes here and there. Kojima must have been watching Ghostbusters 2 and Terminator 2 a whole bunch. The identity theme comes in pretty much at the end where its posited that you can't actually make a clone of a person through experiences alone and that the true identity will shine through. Raiden won't be another Solid Snake but he is not necessarily lesser to him.

MGS3: You get back to the war is ugly theme and I think a theme about letting go of something. The overall theme here is you get Big Boss being made to let go of his old life, perhaps his innocence or naive notions of how the world worked. You fight the enemies of Pain, Fear, End, Fury, Sorrow, Joy. Generally emotions through the stages of grief and/or loss. There is also a slight poke at the roles of legends and such as while the Cobra Unit does have some people doing some super-powered looking things, the very normal Naked Snake can defeat their highly specialized craziness with normal weaponry. There also seems to be theme running where defeating each boss requires the defeat of the emotion/feeling they represent. To defeat The Pain you have to overcome the pain of bees constantly fucking with you. To defeat the Fear you just have to stop fearing his crazy bullshit, etc. That last theme seems to be carrying over into the molding of who Big Boss is to be, as well.

MGS4: Another theme of legends aint shit but hoes and tricks. Also the general themes of being old and worn out and themes of how young people can get caught up and screwed over by the wars of old men who don't know when to just retire and be forgotten. Old grudges causing new bloodshed. Also, perhaps surpassing or realizing you have a different place in the world than the icons you idolized and finally one of ultimately regret and forgiveness. There is also a convo here that helps explain retcons. Basically its saying that the events of MGS3 were recently released to the public and now everybody thinks Big Boss is a hero. Snake sees Big Boss as still a traitor and generally a piece of shit and says that if people knew the REAL story they wouldn't be praising Big Boss. This basically lends itself to the idea, again, that legends aren't what you think they are and gives a convenient in-universe excuse for retcons and wholly new and weirder things.

MGS5: This goes on to themes of how legends can be spun out of control and used. How anybody can wear the mantle of a legendary person and how a name and face can carry a person much farther than their actual actions. It also pushes the idea that no man can accomplish great things alone. You have the retcon of MGS3 where XOF was supposedly going in and cleaning up after Big Boss. You also have the fact that the Big Boss you play isn't the actual Big Boss. Everything you do is spreading his legend in his name but he's not really DOING anything. Some other guy with his name and face are.
There is also the bigger meta theme that because we are playing the games, taking on this role of Big Boss, that each one of us can be Big Boss. It is actually a more uplifting theme/story than the rest, I think. It ends basically saying that anybody can be that legendary figure and that's backed up by you being able to take your avatar creation into the missions and still be called "Boss".

Well Gray Fox disappeared post mg1 so obviously GF been around BB for awhile. Now for them breaking up, that was never made clear. Meryl bathroom scene made it clear she didn't want to be a soldier. So her gunho attitude is contradicting in mgs4. Which makes it even more odd. Did Meryl leave because David didnt want to leave fighting it makes mgs4 Meryl a hypocrite.
Otacon is stretching if you don't take his ending into account. From which he says the experience makes him open to people now and he decides to take psychology.

What's to make clear? They were together, then they weren't.

They didn't go into what happened to Meryl specifically in MGS2 because they wanted it to be ambiguous which ending was canonical, hence the oblique reference to Snake being done with tomboys.

The same scene also indicated that being soldier is the only thing she actually knows how to do, she spent most of her life at that point planning on being a soldier.

Snake's conversation with Otacon after they meet Rat Patrol indicates that some of that is probably down to nanomachines

What?

So, basically it's just the concept of Mantling from Elder Scrolls lore, grafted on to Metal Gear as a central plot point.

Well.
Ok then.