Why are fans remaking games so fucking stupid?

Every fucking time. Yet for some reason no one EVER fucking learns? Why? This has happened countless times over the past decade yet none of these faggots ever learn!

No one actually cares about video games anymore.
The Jew's corruption has morphed their priorities to fame and money instead of quality

I really don't know?

There you go.

It probably is the jerking off of their own ego that kills these projects. And it probably is just to get the attention of studios.

1: The Ego stroking is too tempting and feelings of "pride in their work" outweigh their logic.
2: Projects like this require money. Money these guys normally don't have, so they end up having to beg for it. Due to this, the jews look down and go "oy vey! They are getting shekels that aren't mine! Shut it down!"

Lets not forget how fucking long these fan titles take to come out, and how they never release free versions to the public because they are sitting on their asses, waiting for it to be "just right", instead of getting feedback right away.

The trailer was trash. All it was was graphics whoring and a few shots of models.

If you ask me OP, the main reason these people are so stupid about it (because I absolutely agree that hinting you're working on any owned IP is just asking for a C&D) is because they work their asses off, get something good looking, and desperately want approval for what they've done. Let's face it, you may start working on a fan remake because you love the source, but at some point you're gonna start wanting attention for all your hard work.

It's the classic folly of the artists ego mixed with impatience likely caused by insecurity.

they did it to pad their portfolio.

It's just naivety.

They think that the IP owners will like it similarly to how they might like fan art. Some of them probably expect to get job offers as a result too.

As a less cynical possibility, perhaps on some level they would like some reinforcement that what they're doing is something worthwhile. Building a game from nearly ground up, even with the source material at hand, is still extremely tedious work. I imagine these folks lose steam and start to question whether or not they want to continue doing it.

tfw MSX metal gear remake got shut down

they could just post on an imageboard somewhere with some screenshots, instead of throwing around websites and twitter accounts

Yes.

Well the entire point that someone bothers to work on a project like that is to fuel their own narcissism.

It's to be expected.

either this or releasing a trailer in hopes of attracting kikestarter "investors", patreonbux or even to get the original studios' attention

Your first problem is assuming that most of those projects would have been completed otherwise. Recreating a vertical slice from a popular game is very different from actually remaking the whole thing.

He made a bunch of 3D environments capitalizing on a popular IP for portfolio padding and attention.

I always thought it was either that they were showing it off to look for more help to finish it, or extreme narcissism.

There are two cases:
1. They're fucking stupid,
2. They need help.

If they do #2 publicly, then it's a case of both.

There's different levels of standards. A proper fan made game is impressive because of the experience of the dev, the resources available to them and the amount of people working on it.

When it's a multi-million dollar studio doing the same job, YOU EXPECT SOMETHING FUCKING BETTER FOR ALL THE FUCKING SHEKELS AND TECH THESE FAGGOTS PUT INTO IT.

You're a dumbass goyim sucker for pretending they can be compared so easily.

Funfact: many of these so called "developers" never actually intended to finish their projects, and simply did a shoddy hack job to show off and bask in their 15 minutes while fully aware they would be shut down immediately

They don't want the game they're making out there for the public they want their name to be out there. They can become an established figure in fan community overnight with the right trailer which potentially results in a job involving customer interaction.

This is the new style of community management for brands, if you've ever seen a Halo Dewrito thread on here you ought to know what it looks like.

Having the community create assets for free that go viral under your supervision is the holy grail of modern social media marketing.

Games don't need remakes imo. Go and play the originals or get bent. Only time when it's acceptable is if the original creator is involved and even then it can suck.

Pretty much this. I don't see a lot of a point in remaking games when we should be fucking preserving them. Though I can understand the original creator not feeling proud of the original and wanting to give another stab at it with better tools and tech.

better yet, just release the trailer and the game anonymously behind 7 proxies without putting your real personal info on social media like a retard.

Because you're an idiot, this shit is done for publicity, those faggots who release a few renders of their 3d models were never interested in creating an actual game.

What I want to know is why people give a shit about DMCAs.

Every time I see this, I always ask why was this even conceived.

What is a portfolio ?

it's like a place where you park boats except its got paper

This is the end of every project. People start making shit to get sick internet cred and then stop because they're not getting enough or they get upset because people criticize their shit.

Not bad.

Also, just to be clear, it's a Jeopardy! joke, not an actual question.

What game? It better not be some webshit.

Don't even release it till your done with it, don't even announce it till your done with it

What about beta testing?

I figure he's be all the beta he'd need.

That's the plan. I'm more or less doing it for programming experience so even if the project tanks I get something out of it.

It is weeabshit.

This.

I guess a lot of people are naive on how extremely corrupt almost any sizable company is.

It better be a fucking gundam game, or shadow of the colossus, that's the only acceptable weebshit.

There are few main reasons.

1. Some are really dumb and think it will land them a job (look Kojima Senpai I remake MGS please hire me).

2. Some just outright attention whore, either for e-peen sucking or making their portfolio and name bigger when they look for a job.

If they honestly wanted just feedback they could just use accounts that aren't traceable to them and not give a fuck about DMCAs.

3. Lastly there are the fucking scum out for money.

"Hey goy…. guys look what I'm making a remake of a beloved classic all for FREE. Now here is my TOTALLY UNRELATED (wink wink) patreon page and link to my merchandise and buy my T-Shirts or I'll get too depressed to do anything.

Wait a minute, I know those tits. That's best girl.

Nothing wrong with getting money user, ill congratulate whoever gets some profit out of this failed projects.

Sometimes it's done not so much to jerk himself off, but as a means of recruiting talented developers so that the whole project isn't shitcanned when one autistic (but vital) team member spergs out and holds their assets for ransom/arson.

It's also a lot of fucking work for a small team to do for free in their spare time, and most of them barely get off the ground before everyone gets burnt out or reach the limits of their skill and just fuck off to the four winds to do their own thing.

they most likely didn't have the intention or have the ability to make the full game

so just when they are about to give up they post it online to let the internet jerk their cocks off

Really annoys me how many good remakes go down the shitter while companies just sit on the IP and do nothing with it.

Some people see what happened with Black Mesa and think "Oh wow! I might be able to sell this with permission from the IP owner". not realising that Valve has a long history of being lax with modders and most other companies are fucking brutal.

If you want to get your ego stroked why not just come to a chan and reveal some stuff? It'd be a lot harder for a company to DMCA some random user from some small chan.

Although at that point why not just make your own fucking game and call it a spiritual successor

But they do. Sometimes.

Better graphics, better UI, more optimizations, additional quality of life things.

The problem is when the remakes spit on the original, instead of following it faithfully.

because

I don't think so.

Most games don't even need sequels. They are what they are, and should be appreciated for what they are, and then move on. Sequels, at best, should refine gameplay without streamlining it and offer pretty much more of the same as the original. Despite what people say, nobody wants change. They want something different that's exactly the same as the thing they already know and love.

Yes, this means franchises will burn out and die quickly without innovation. That's fine. Let them die on a high note and with dignity rather than lose their identity by trying to morph and blend and pander to ever-changing modern tastes. Save the innovation for fresh and new IPs. Publishers would never go for it, because it trades a proven cash cow for a roll of the dice, but that that would also put the onus on them to hire better and more consistent devs - rather than just relying on rehashing trash with a disposable team of contracted nobodies.

A lot of the old PC monsters have MAJOR problems with user interface. I love Alpha Centauri, but I can't stand playing it because the UI is such a clusterfuck.

They do it for the attention, so they can scroll through all those youtube comments jerking them off.
If I were remaking a game, I'd just drop the finished thing under a pseudonym because there's nothing they can do at that point.

What bugs you in particular?

It's the controls and the screens. They're difficult to navigate and you have to click multiple commands if you don't remember the hotkeys.

Every Dos game that isn't a FPS has similar issues and half of the games released before 2000 have the same issues. Just about the only vintage PC game that isn't a shooter without those problems is King of Dragon Pass.

There's a reason PC gaming didn't take off until the mid 2000s and it has nothing to do with the fat man.

because the people who make these games are retarded redditors.

didn't the Streets of Rage remake get a public release out before they got C&D?

even the non ego stroking devs get shut down OP. Look at what happened to the devs who made a battle.net emulator. The best bet at the moment for projects like this would be running a source repository behind a hidden onion service, but it's pretty hard to do that and still remain anonymous.

because if you don't comply you'll be taken to court and fined an obscene amount of money every day until you do?

what kinda gets me is if someone's releasing even a shitty, unfinished alpha build of something, they're so over-protective of it that they'll only host it from their one site, or one of the larger hosting services, so when the inevitable DMCA comes they're boned

i mean, i've been kinda entertaining the idea of remaking TIE Fighter with a perfect 1:1 replica of its flight model in a more modern engine, and if I ever got around to it I'd want every single motherfucker who downloaded it to save and share it wherever and would say so in the readme

that snake model is disgusting

I too asked myself the same question for the longest time.

One day i was taking a shit and my mind wandered on this subject and suddently it hit me, i had a realization.

The devs involved in these projects become bored with them and want to quit, but don't want to look like losers abandoning the project completely, so INSTEAD what they do is go public, get DMCA'd, but the work they made is now officially tied to their names, as opposed to a full remake that is fully playable but the names are often absent from it or under thorwaway aliases, so they can put the work in their portfolio to get hired.
1/4 or the effort required, all the credit, and all they lost is the faith of the fans, something they clearly didn't give a shit in the first place and were only doing for their own benefit.
It makes perfect sense.

That's fine though. I don't like isometric perspective in most games, and I probably never would have played Fallout 3/New Vegas if they were in isometric view point. I can barely tolerate it in FO2, and gave up on FO1 half-way through.

Doesn't mean FO1 and FO2 need remakes to bring them onto the modern engines, especially not with Bethesda pulling the strings and wanting to streamline shit to make it more palletable to modern gamers. Because it's not just the perspective they're going to fuck with, but they'll probably write a full player character script and remove skills from that too. Where do you draw the line between necessary refinements and just throwing in modern bullshit game design elements because that's what's selling now? Sure, you could just stop at updating the graphics a bit, cleaning up the UI, adding a useful feature that wasn't/couldn't be implemented in the original. It's just that I don't trust any publishers that I can think of off the top of my head to make those kinds of calls without gutting and casualizing the games they're trying to update.

These games are what they are, and if I can't get into FO1 & 2 as much as I otherwise could due to some hangup with my shit taste or how I approach games, that doesn't mean that they need to be bastardized with all the other shit that will inevitably, intractably, go with updating them.

Just… let them be.

It's not just ego stroking it's a desire to share with other gamers. Working a fuck ton on a project you want to share.

If they didn't care about sharing why not just make the game, finish it, and then never publish it - never reveal it to the world?

I learned about it AFTER it got C&D'd, basically being

So yeah this is one instance of guys being smart about their work.

Fucking liberal faggots.

Whoa there buddy, all of those remakes fall under "parody" category. You an need in-depth analysis in each case to see if shit breaks any laws at all.

Even if they rip assets straight form the original game?

Dont be a dumbass OP. Its Konami's fault for being retarded greedy jews, not the devs for wanting to draw interest in their project instead of just releasing it without any sort of media following

But they aren't selling it right?
Also what if term of use will state that you may download said parody only if you own the source material, in this situation a game?

I'm still pissed about this being killed off.

And nothing of value was lost.

Just like I own every rom or iso I've downloaded.

DO PEOPLE HAVE NO CREATIVITY AND ORIGINALITY ANYMORE THESE DAYS

OR ARE THEY JUST AUTISTIC NOSTALGHIA CUCKS

I did learn. That's why I own a board on 8ch, instead of a website.

Why doesn't sega shut down all those rom hosting sites then? They are running for decade now.

close the thread, its over.

Unfortunately people will eat it up.

RIP Project Vaulderie, you will never be forgotten

but its a beta, they'll fix it

No, they won't. It's like they saw Doom 3 Classic, and thought "Hey, this is shit because it's using Doom 3 assets, lets import doom assets, and make the levels 100% accurate to the originals!" without ever giving a thought as to why that wouldn't work in Doom 3. They're both nostalgic and fucking stupid.

I can't believe these people put all that effort in just to do something that's already been done. Have they no creativity? Imagine if they applied themselves to their own creations.

I thought they straight up ignored it.

I have lots of original things that I want to do, but don't have the skill to do properly yet, and recreating old games is a means to practice.

I remember when War for the Overworld started as a direct Dungeon Keeper remake, and then they got slapped by EA, and remade all assets to be their own.

Too bad it was shit.

It's not, actually. It was released unpolished, but they've since improved it quite a bit.

I guess I haven't played it since a bug that caused one of the levels to crash upon being selected but it felt like it completely lacked in the charm of the earlier titles, and the levels weren't as good.

But I do agree with you on the "quit while you're on top, rather than be milked until you're but an empty husk."

That doesn't look bad at all…

Has there ever been a fan remake of a game that came out before it was DMCA'd?

Black Mesa?

There was a minor case where valve forbid them from titling it "Black Mesa: Source".

You kidding me? The hud, the texturing, that over the top weapon sway, Doom 3 weapon design.

To be honest, one such project that got DCMA'd seems to have turned out better so far, at least in terms of mechanics and originality.

it also helps the creators are working their asses off to try and get a working version of the game out ASAP and continue to keep making updates and streams of it.

Reddit karma.

I'm not kidding.

There are sluts who violate themselves and post images of it to get karma.
I don't get why ledditors are so obsessed with a number on their profile that they'll quite literally whore themselves out to increase it.

They don't do it to finish the game. They do it because they are 3d artists or game developers who want to make a name for themselves. They're basically riding off the success of the game they're remaking and using the backlash from the publisher sending a C&D to bring attention to themselves.

I suppose this was before the DMCA became common knowledge, but it still hurts

They do it for the attention and the sexual gratification that comes with it. Some people are exhibitionists dumbfuck.

Is like they want to get shut down

Well compared to what 99.99% of the people do on the internet every day it is worthwhile

Not necessarily, they can't C&D you if they don't know who you are

called it upon the first trailer

let this be a lesson to anyone attempting fan remakes.

that looks like shit, but it's still leagues above Bethesda's nuDOOM which is hilaruous

That Time Splitters Rewind is still alive and kicking, hell they even get support from the devs of Cryengine.

Didnt the creator of mlp design the characters herself?

you can sell reddit accounts with high karma to people who use them for marketing purposes.

How much and where?
This might be worth my time.

yes but are people going to like it or give a shit? not necessarily.

Friendly reminder that you'll end up like this embittered buttravaged sucker if you live your life expecting any sort of altruistic goodness out of anyone or anything.
You're a naive retard if you believe FREE is actually FREE word by word.
Someone always gains and someone else always loses out of any sort of deeds or events.

No.

Yeah, but they're stuck in developmental hell.

Timesplitters Rewind never ever