Halo general

Every once in a while I see halo threads here. Since I couldn't find one in the catalog right now I thought I create one.

Other urls found in this thread:

halopedia.org/Terminal/Halo_3
youtube.com/watch?v=4LLcP7pcIWU
halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-the-write-stuff
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So, any news on Halo Wars 2?

Halo Online/Halo 5 forge is the only way to have fun with Halo in 2016

It's gonna be a turd

Halo 1 did it's best to work the fun parts of an FPS into console, and opened the gates for a decade of stagnate gameplay w/ spehs mereens.

FPS belongs with mouse, not joystick

Any Halo after 3 isn't a halo game, because the music is the most significant part of the game.
ODST still had good music tho. Should have been a different IP.

I have only played the first halo and halo 3, and even there didn't pay much attention to the story.

Can someone explain me wtf that weird ring does or what it is?

The Halo rings wipe out all intelligent life within a certain radius from each one. Their purpose is to starve off The Flood, a race of hyper-intelligent parasitic lifeforms which infect entire civilisations. They were built by the Forerunners, who gathered samples of every intelligent species which they knew of before firing the rings, and then cloned them afterwards. There are 7 Halo rings, in keeping with Bungie's motif of the number 7, and they are built at the Ark which you visit in Halo 3.

That's the gist of it.

ISHYGDDT

The rings destroy sentient life in a massive radius so that the flood has nothing left to absorb and thus die out. It was a last resort style weapon against them designed by the forerunners.

Allegorically, they represent God's unmitigated wrath against the sins of humanity which he deals with by flooding the earth with water in book of Genesis, destroying most life save for a small selection.

Yes, the Halo games 1-3 are a gigantic biblical allegory. No this is not accidental, one of the writers had masters in theology.

But isn't master chief himself not walking on that ring too? Wouldn't it kill him too?

And where exactly do these flood things live? On random planets? Are they just kicking planets trough those rings like basketballs?

No the rings were installations. They had to be activated. They also doubled as Flood research stations.

The flood lived in the rings, previously they were a bio weapon run out of control with the forerunners, but this is explained in extra material and outside Halo original trilogy, so fuck it

They were destroyed mostly after the rings were fired the first time.

Fuck I am laughing so hard.

to expand on what this user said, in game it is said the Halo arrays don't actually kill the flood, it kills all sentient life with sufficient biomass. The only way to kill the flood is to starve it to death

Anyone here played Silent Cartographer: Evolved on Noble difficulty? that shit is unsetttling

Still waiting for SPV3 to release. Halo on PC is pretty awesome with it.

I'm also grateful for that one modder that added my beloved-since-e3-2003 Single-Shot Battle Rifle to Halo 2 PC and some other small adjustments such as extra encounters with new unused assets, that sorta thing.

What is unsettling about it? It seems like its just a remake of the map.

THIS SUMMER

SPv3

Play it on Nobel, and then come back

They aren't bio weapons they are the reincarnations of an even older race of ayy lmao's that were basically the forerunners to the forerunners and were older then the universe eldritch elder gods.

It sounds dumb out of context but the books it's covered in are really good hard sci fi that unravel into cosmic horro

Not exactly. It's a little more complicated then that. It will neutralize anything that the flood has infected, so in a sense it does kill flood, only some of it. There's also a agent that is released that does destroy any organic tissue remaining after the array fires

Halo sucked shit, and ruined the fps genre.

Fuck off to half chan or reddit.

Halo 2 and 3 were okay overall, but Halo wars was just plain mediocre as was the first halo game, incredibly mediocre, why would you expect 2 to be good? And if you think it was good game then you have very low standards.

Besides

Who the hell owns either of the systems required to play it in the first place? Nobody takes xbox consoles seriously anymore and only retards upgrade to botnet 10.

No, bad FPS's ruined the genre

Oh good, for a second I wasn't sure if you were going to show up or not

Are you really this retarded?

I bet all you console tards who play this boring shitpile of a game all voted for bernie sanders in the general election.

Enjoy killing millions of people over equality whilst putting dicks in your butts and getting aids.

Did they ever fix the master chef collection? Like a year and a half later?

nope

You do realize that Halo: CE and 2 were on PC too right?

Stay on your meds friend.

Kek why would they do that when they had Halo 5 to shovel out? Wouldn't want people to play fun classics when they had their half-finished microtransaction mess to push.

Speaking of which, daily reminder that Halo 5 sold less than Titanfall.

343 is living up to their name. now they're 3 for 3 shit games

bazinga.jpg

they were ported to pc by gearbox as a throwaway, the series was always intended for consolebabbies.

Kill yourself op
>>>/reddit/
>>>/neogaf/

Halo 1 wasn't bad but I agree it's not as good as other poeple say

So then it's THOSE game's fault for being shit and copying it. Also, i'm sure 99% of the shit you think halo did it didn't even do.

Go back to whatever cesspit you crawled out of.

shit, meant to reply to and

Halo CE was fucking awesome.
343 doesn't exist
Reach was the last game, of which was also shit.

ODST second best game in the series.

nice meme

actually, let me give you more credit then

Why do you think reach and everything 343 has done is shit? Be specific and don't be a wiseass about it.

ODST is shit. But it's fitting it's popular on Holla Forums what with the rampant hipster culture.

please see

My biggest issues with Reach are lorefaggery, to be completely honest. Otherwise, the gameplay was simply dull, I think largely to the invincible squadmates and limited to only covenant forces.
I didn't much care for how the weapons felt, either. Most everything felt rather weak, frankly. Ammo was also a huge bother, and the lot looked stupid most the time.
Ever since 2, to be fair, the DMR/Battlerifle are pretty much required, but in Reach, thanks to mostly long-ranged maps, it felt like you really had no point in using anything else.

Story was also pretty terrible, otherwise. Didn't much feel any pull for the death scenes of the respective spartans. Robo-hand chick dies to a sniper because she pulled her helmet off like a retard, giant guy blows a ship that didn't really matter in the end up, knife guy gets stabbed far away, another guy crashed a pelican into a scarab that I actually completely missed and didn't realize happened until my third playthrough, let alone that he died.
Oh, and sniper guy just fucks off, for some reason.

Did love the ending, though. The whole survival last man standing bit. Really gave the spartan vibe, in my opinion.

As for 343's shit, just take what was said about reach, turn up to 11.
Lorefaggotry was completely shat on, thrown out a window, and burned.
Story was absolutely abysmal
Guns were terrible, DMR and battlerifle and the like were much more required, thanks to most every enemy being a massive bullet sponge and only weak to headshots, story was fucking retarded and I actually still don't remember what the point was when it comes right down to it, Cortana was incredibly annoying as were literally every other character except that one single guy who wasn't even good himself except that he was the only fellow with any sense and didn't act like a total nigger, the game's enemies in the Covenent felt more spongey than usual, probably due to guns being less powerful outside of a select few, the new weird robit enemies were just absolutely awful bullet sponges most the time that didn't even have the decency to be weak to plasma, and the ending was just terrible. Cortana's "death" apparently didn't mean shit, cause supposedly she's back in the next lot.
Haven't played that, to be fair.

I'll respond to both your posts in a bit, but I just wanna go ahead and say I apperciate you guys not being fags and actually going into details.

These are all fair points, minus maybe forgettable characters.
I loved Romeo and Dutch, and for some reason or another Rookie held a odd little place in my heart. No idea why, though.

Mostly the reasons I like it are atmosphere and story. That and maybe gunplay. Guns felt sweet in that game, really had a solid impact.
Hell, gameplay in general felt heavier. Though, like he said, tragically ruined with the weird not-shield "adrenaline" system.

No she had it on. She just didn't have her shields up. Seems really contrived to be honest.

No problem man. Happy to have a proper discussion.

okay and here

It was tough, yeah, but it wasn't unreasonably so. It fit with the context without being too hard. And if it was for you, you can always play on normal instead. I've also never heard anybody else mention this so i'm tempted to say it's just you

It's also not "new", it's just ce's system.

I really have to heavily disagree with you here. Reach's FF was nowhere near as tense. It was fun in it's own way but the expierence was just different, and if i had to compare then, i'd say not as fun. Having to stay by the base is intentional and is part of the core gameplay cycle of these sorts of horde games and plays into providing trade off's of venturing outward. I agree many levels could use more incentive to travel though

Again, gonna have to disagree. I don''t think the characters are any more forgettable then the ones in 1 2 or 3, and it's a side story, the goals are different. I'd also argue ODST's greatest strength is the character relationships. They felt more like actual people in it together rather then just characters in a plot more then any characters in the main trilogy for the most part.

I don't remember them being that short but i'll take your word for it. I definitely agree it wasn't worth 60$ but that wasn't the game's fault.

I actually never noticed this. It's certainly visually homogeneous but I didn't think it reused geometry that much. Especially compared to CE of all games which for some reason people ignore the problems of when it has reused copy pasted shit out the ass and variety issues.

Overall, I think it just comes down to opinion. You're entitled to not like it but I don't think it's fair to say it's a bad game, you just didn't like it that much. And even if you didn't, or even if what you said was objectively true, I don't think that makes it shit. It'd still be a 7.5/10 at least, no?

will get to you next in a bit

Oh, wow, that's even dumber. I must've got it confused thanks to her constantly taking it off for absolutely no reason.

Shit, wasn't it even a fucking needlegun, come to think of it?
Not even a beamrifle, wasn't it?
Was bloody silly.

While I admire your politeness, we have IDs and it isn't really necessary to tell someone you are in progress of replying to them.

Reach shitting on the lore was pretty shit, especially when they could have easily fit the game into the exisiting battle of Reach without needing to retcon it, I liked the original battle of Reach more too.

I didn't think the story was that great but it was alright and as the last game in the series it wasn't too bad. I'd say the main series ended at 3, ODST was a good spin off and Reach was a meh game but it was the last one and introduced a few neat things like assasination animations and that one human vs covenant gamemode in MP.

Assassinations were interesting, but ultimately a tad silly, considering you could just tap melee and instantly kill the guy without risking yourself.

I guess by modern standards, the story wasn't horrible, but it was rather dull, to me. Mainly, I think, due to the general lack of payoff. It felt more or less like we were just being dragged to various setpieces for the sake of "cool" scenery.

What did we end up accomplishing in the end? Well, we got Master Chief off, I guess. But, that wasn't our mission until the very end. Our mission up to that point was to stop the invasion, or some shit. Good job, everyone.

I'll never be able to finish the fight.

Fugg
At least we have Online, I guess. God bless crazy Russians.

without Russian insanity, what kind of world would it even be.

Not a world anyone would enjoy.

Sorry, i'm a flithy halfchanner, didn't know there were ID's here. As for the latter, just wanted to make sure you wouldn't leave the thread and forget before I responded.

I'll respond to kat (robo arm girl)'s death thing below

If you mean it not following the fall of reach, go read halsey's journal that came with the limited edition, as well as the data drops. Everything is explained without retcons, though for why the battle took so much longer in game has a really shitty contrived explanation, but it's still not really a retcon.

I can't really respond to this with something so vague, but i'll mark this down to opinion. Reach did feel more grounded in pretty much every way, but I liked that about it, it felt like i was playing one of the novels while still playing like traditional halo.

I guess that just cycles back to the above. I really just don't agree. The AR was really weak, yes, but it was super accurate to trade off and it was actually kinda good. I also think reach has the best art style overall, so I disagree on them looking dumb (other then the plasma repeater which looked too angular for a covenant gun) but I guess that comes down to opinion

See, I feel the opposite. Reach didn't have great balance, but it wasn't complete dogshit like 2 or 3's, and most of the guns managed to be unique even if they have similar roles (the plasma launcher and spartan laser, for example), while still having a large sandbox. CE has very unique guns, but it only had like 10, by contrast. As an example, I point to the AR again. The lack of an SMG, the DMR's higher focus on longer range usage and demphasis on medium range meant the AR had a much larger viable usage range.

Oh, and sniper guy just fucks off, for some reason.

Their deaths are meant to be ironic. Kat, the taticaician, was taken out due to not paying attention to her surrondings. (there's even hints at this if you read some of the marketing materials, it says she can have poor situational awareness) Carter, the leader, took it for the team. Jorge's only wish was to die on reach protecting it, but he died in space and in vain. Emile the close combat expert got impaled on a sword. Noble six, the former lone wolf starting to work on a team died a lone wolf. Jun who was always mysterious and off in the distance's fate is never known away from everybody else.

Also, kat did not forget her helmet, she had it on when she died. The reason the needle rifle killed her in one shot is thought to be because the glassing beam that was fired right outside the building which caused the radiation flare weakened or knocked out their shields.

1/2

As for 343's stuff, i'm assuming you mean halo 4 specifically. I'd like to point out many of the non game stuff they've done is great, but you can address what of their novels and such you've read once you reply

It certainly did break some lore, but "completely shat on etc" is an exaggeration. I still thin 4's story is total garbage due to it, but john and cortana acting out of personality, rampancy being poorly portrayed, and retconing the FuD's size and shape and how smart AI's are made isn't "ruining" the lore, especially when many of those got fixed (more on that later). It's only ruining 4's plo.

See above, I agree, though i think they actually handled a lot of the didact stuff pretty good.

I agree but I don't think it's any worse then 3. Maybe it's between 2 and 3 in terms of how bad the balance is but it's just choosing between shit that's slightly smellier, and 2 and 3 are amazing games in spite of it.

Del rio was a twat but that was his personality and role in the story, and the novels even expand on this. Palmer is an aborted attempt at a new johnson and is terrible, I agree. Again, I agree the story is shit, no debate there.

See, the first time I played halo 4 and stopped mid way through I thought this too, along with the AI being shit, but when I did it again I didn't have an issue with it. Not sure why. The promethians had issues but they weren't that terrible: the flood were frusrating for example, but they had their role. I feel the same about the promethians, and they had cool ideas even if they weren't executed as good as they could have been, which leads me too…

Overall, I think 4 is an 8/10. It's not up to par with most of the other halo games, and has problems, but the problems aren't so severe they make it an actually bad or even an average game. There's a lot of stuff it does fine or well, and i'll be happy to clarify if you want me to.

shit, ran out of space again, 2/3

Yes, she's back, but did you honestly expect otherwise? They are doing the one way to bring her back though that makes it bearable though, IMO, and they have a reason planned out though we don't know the full details yet. Need to know if you've read the forerunner books or not to clarify.

5 is really good, overall. Like, I don't think 4 is all that bad (it's an 8/10, sub par for a halo game, but still a good game and isn't as bad as people say), but 5 legimately is great. It has problems, to be sure: The campaign is short (though the missions are well designed), and the story is eh, but unlike 4, it actually handles the material right. John acts how he should in the situations that happen. Cortana acts like a rampant cortana would, she doesn't even know how fucked up she is, vs having temper tantrums. Blue team is around. The ambient dialog is the best it's ever been. 5's story issues is just the plot goes nowhere and it's a build up to 6.

Whera's 4's story is like a 3/'10, 2's is a 9/10, ce's is a 6/10, 3's is a 7.5/10, 5's is like a 5/10. It's not great, but it's not terrible. it's meh.

You are probably wondering why I am saying 5 is so good by this point.

It's because the multiplayer for 5 is fucking fantastic. it has the best core gameplay the series has had since 2. It feels competitive and tight without being too mlg-fagy, it has more of a focus on vertical and movement which is implemented well. It has the best weapon balance the franchise by fucking eons, it's not even close. Every gun in the game is viable in both SP and MP, and automatics overall are not just viable but useful. The AR is both highly damaging and highly accurate, and can be used to accurately burst and hit targets out to BR ranges in regular combat and if you are in a position to set down, even to plink foes at DMR ranges thank to smart scope (which looks like ADS but is in practice just regular zoom with a new skin and on all guns. Hipfiring with guns is still more accurate then any incarnations of the weapons were in past games, with no bloom on precision weapons at all and automatics being accurate even without zooming), and the guns feel sufficiently unique.

Map design is good with a lot of vertacality, though the themeing is stale with mainly UNSC maps.

5's only real problems MP wise was a severe lack of content on launch. Very few maps and game modes, no forge. But that's been getting better thanks to free monthly updates, and the forge we have now blows out any prior forge. We have time of day settings, sound emitters, visual FX's you can place like fire or electrical arcs, object joining, compels scripting, full color settings for objects (like 100+ colors, and 3 channels per object), along with reflectivity adjustment and preset textures to apply. They even added new control options like deadzone tweaking and added new colors for customization post launch, and the fact it has no local play, which fucking sucks.

It does have a microtransaction system, but it's limited to one mode designed around it (which is sorta like invasion), and you earn enough in game points to buy packs after just 1 MP match, and the one mode you can use the shit in has 2 separate layers of mechanics built in to prevent p2w bullshit. The only problem the system has is that it makes unlocking armor (which is still cosmetic) harder since it's randomized as part of that system, so getting the armor you want is a crapshoot.

Long story short though, 5's MP is fucking stellar. It's the most fun i've had on 4v4 modes since 2004, and it could easily have the best customs the series has ever seen too thanks to forge.

3/3

I'm not saying it was tough, but that it was annoying since it makes you run for cover more often. I did play it on Normal (on my first run). And Heroic for my second.

Well, CE's system if your shield lasts two hits.

That'd be fine and dandy if the base wasn't some tiny hallway. As someone who played enough to get all the High Score achievements on single-player, I can safely say it's just poorly though-out. The reward isn't worth venturing far from your starting area because pretty much nowhere has sufficient cover. Certain weapons are just awful in situations but if you put your weapon down to use a better one it will despawn after a few waves.

It's literally mirrored at the halfway point. Pic related.

Yeah, they acted more like real people. But I didn't see how they were memorable or stood out or anything. They seemed rather meh to me.

CE has copy-paste because Microsoft rushed Bungie; the campaign was finished within five months. And I'd say it makes sense that The Pillar of Autumn and The Truth and Reconciliation would have the same layout when you go back to them. Even still they added new stuff to them (new rooms in The Autumn, damaged rooms with holes and a different canyon area for the latter). There isn't any real reason why a city would have a mirrored layout, and unlike CE I don't think they were in a rush with ODST.

I wouldn't give it higher than 7. It was a different experience and had some nice atmosphere, but there's too many annoyances and short-sightedness. I'd rather just play Halo 3.

Needle Rifle

It's more of a way to finish off with some style. That one where you assassinate someone in the air and throw them to the ground in Reach is always satisfying.

Now, mind you, I haven't read the Reach books in a while. So bear with me.
But for one thing, wasn't it a major manufacturing planet or something?
Why'd it suddenly turn into a rather big empty RnD planet?
Also, why was the Pillar of Autumn there, and for that matter Halsey? Could've sworn she was elsewhere, and I am pretty certain that the Autumn was rushing to Reach's distress call when a fuckall massive army showed up and basically zerged the lot.
Pretty sure they ran off because it looked hopeless and they still had a last-ditch mission to do, not because they were planet-side getting some fancy tech that shouldn't've been there.
I really should read the books again, so I can remember why I hated reach specifically. Something to do with a cloaked ship, too, what took down the generators for the MAC cannons? Don't remember any kind of early single-shiped fleet what had to be taken out by Spartans rather than the literal entirety of nearby UNSC ships assembled on one of the highest importance UNSC planets out there. Certainly don't remember some tossers making some kind of weird planet-gate on a place what shouldn't even have had a baren countryside that was so unpopulated that nobody noticed the GIANT FUCKALL SHIELD with covvies crawling everywhere inside.

Eh. For me, it felt like I was just there. Not in any kind of important role, not doing anything of actual merit. It felt like we went to the story for Joe Dickhead who didn't actually do anything of note the entire time.
Now, ODST, that felt to me what you might call "playing one of the novels", but that's more because you are actually exploring shit, and learning new things as you go. Discovering what happened to your team, where it all leads, what's going on with the city, what these new floaty guys are, and so on. There was a real sense of purpose, and reason going on, rather than just being dragged to setpiece after setpiece.
But, these are more matters of story rather than gameplay. What I mean by gameplay being dull is that, largely, the environments were shit, the enemies, while had brilliant AI probably the top of all of the Halo games, felt largely stupid mainly thanks to the environments meaning they couldn't take advantage of that AI, as well as the gunplay making it feel like you were just plinking around most enemies.
I don't really know what "grounded" means, anyway.
Mate, the AR was an overglorified SMG in that game.
It didn't do shit over any kind of range, since the spread was so large and the damage so piss-poor. Even fucking grunts took a few mags at any kind of range.
Fact was, the only advantage with the AR was the ammo, because for some strange reason, they gave that one single gun a ton of ammo. Not in the magazine, for some reason, though.

Opinion, for this, is largely right, I suppose.
But can you really tell me things like the AR and shotgun looked better with all those random spikey nonsense bits?

Maybe I am a minimalist, but I just don't see the point in adding so many random jagged bits. The other games had them mostly smooth, and pleasant to the eye.
I guess it's more of a tie-over from the 'TACTICOOL' era.

I'd have to disagree. While in the prior ones, the battlerifle was necessary, thanks to the largely closer quarters, it wasn't always necessary. Reach's maps are, for some reason, always huge, which means you are stuck with using that or one of the other scoped weapons.
While I did like the plasma launcher, it was just another heavy weapon to add to the already-tons-of heavy weapons, that really didn't even preform that well. Only reason I ever used it was because there were no other heavy weapons out there. Thing was crap in most situations because of it's large charge time, much like the Spartan Laser. But, at least the Spartan Laser had range, and besides was meant for more vehicle destruction anyway.
Oh, and mind you, the laser was in Halo 3, anyway.

Post too long. Wew.

I have to once again say the AR was nothing more than a overglorified SMG due largely to the massive magazine reduction and piss-poor damage. You can burst fire it. But, thanks to the low damage, it'll take you forever to take out so much as a grunt. You'd be far, far better served with one of the many "battlerifle" type weapons available.

"Ironic" doesn't make it any less shit.
Honestly, only the cqc had a remotely interesting death, and he was miles away. Mostly because he really seemed to put up a fight and I could actually see it from the ground.
Everyone else, meanwhile, just seemed to die for absolutely no reason.
Dear god, how contrived. Should've just taken off her helmet. At least that'd make more sense.

It isn't so much that it broke bits of lore, but that it broke entire founding principles of Halo.

It was long hinted at Humans either being the Forerunners, or having a seriously close relationship. I mean, the Covenenet declared a Holy War against humanity immediately after finding them because our existence itself was heretical.
Not to mention, of course, all forerunner tech works fine for us, and 343 and similar monitors calls us "reclaimer" or such.
Which would in itself, suggest we are reclaiming the lot. As in, we had claimed it once before, and now are, once again, claiming it.
These are two of the primary characters of the whole series. In fact, besides Johnson, they're the only ones on their level. Even he died after 3.
Suffice to say, them acting massively out of character is a pretty big deal.

Then there's a lot of other shit that I am sure you already know about that are, at least for the most part, fairly minor. Though, I did dislike how Rampancy was portrayed as well, given that instead of basically thinking to death, Cortana instead just goes completely ass-tilting bonkers. The proper lot should've been her either going full coma or becoming increasingly decayed as she forgets to conduct maintenance procedures. But that falls into the "minor lot" category, for me.
There was also the matter of the way elites looked, that made the, basically indistinguishable from brutes.
Even Reach, which went a little radical with the armor design, didn't make them a bunch of skin-diseased albinos.
With weird massive legs and flatter faces, too.

See, I'd agree thanks to the AR actually having some use again, but thanks to the new headshot-only enemies with the robot dogs, and yet more still ammo constraints, on top of the already existing mostly-headshot-only enemies like Grunts and Jackals, it was something you couldn't leave without, lest you run into the lot.

Mate, I only read the early novels, and for good reason. A lot of the later stuff is just, flatly, shit. Nobody should read those.
Regardless, he acted like a massive tool for what seemed to be from a player's perspective, considering your massive role in saving the ENTIRE GODDAMN UNIVERSE NO LESS THAN THREE TIMES, to be completely illogical.
Flood were easy as hell to kill, never felt grindy, assuming you used the right weapons or aimed in the right place.
Lot of folk complain they're bullet sponges, but those folk always end up either aiming in the wrong place, or using the wrong gun. Even with the AR, at least in Halo CE don't really remember in halo 3 or 2, it preformed pretty well, since you could easily rip off their arms with the thing. Best gun was the shotgun, followed by plasma rifle.

Big promethians were fucking stupid, though.

Considering how big a deal they made out of the lot? Yeah. I figured they'd try to force in someone else.
Needless to say, it made her already cheap as hell death even more cheap.

I haven't played 5, so I can't comment on too much, but…
Mate, get cancer.
Now, maybe it's because I always had shit internet, but there ain't nothing worse to me than evaluating a shit game to be good purely for the multiplayer.
Multiplayer is, at best, a side bonus. Maybe worth a few points, but never does it sell the entire game.
Especially when you tell me that the multiplayer somehow sells the game despite having only a few maps, a few game modes, and no forge.
I am just assuming they weren't free, of course, so if they are, I guess that's a plus. In this day and age especially.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm out
I can't sit here and hear this shit any more
They've destroyed everything I've cared about.
I don't care how much 343 is paying you. Had my doubts since the '4 is 8/10' lot.
I'm just going to go back to my '343 doesn't exist' philosophy.
Can't deal with this shit.

I was in the process of replying but your last post killed my movitiation to do so.

You should at least read what I said about the microtransaction system. You can totally ignore the buying stuff with real money when playing 5 if you want and be none the worse for it. It doesn't give you an advantage at all outside of a certain mode and even then barely at all.

The updates are free.

Actually, one more thing, Regarding the human forerunner stuff, there's a whole triology of books going into that and they are quite good.

Also, the terminals in halo 3 clearly stated that humans were not forerunnjers.

I'm still willing to write up the book guide. Many of the newswe novels are good, especially the ones that came out the past 2 years.

I'd not, I am going to sleep anyway. It's 4am after all. I am guessing by the time I wake up tomorrow, it'll be deleted anyway.

For what little it is worth, halo 5 not having DLC mappacks does make it much better than the majority of games come out. But, still, I can't really abide by it.
Especially with the microtransactions.
Really don't see how you could give halo 4 a 8/10 besides, but eh.

I don't remember terminals in Halo 3. I do remember them showing up in Halo CE remastered, but I didn't ever really consider that 'cannon' as it were.
Regardless, it was seriously heavily implied up to that point. I just don't see how they could toss the whole lot for humanity, apparently, being the Forerunner's enemy.
Just flatly silly.
I mean, hell, everything they've got automatically works for you, fits you, and so on.
At least let them be close cousins. That would, at least, make some sense.

I used to have a recommended books for Halo. There was one author you were to always avoid, I recall. Said to avoid one particular author, I want to say it was Karen given that I am pretty sure it was female.
Really should read the lot again. Haven't read in ages.

They were there in the original game:

halopedia.org/Terminal/Halo_3

The part where it's said they are different is in terminal 6, by the librarain:

The "we knew this place was special because of them" can't possibly be interpreted to mean anything but that humanity and the earth were seperate.
'
Really should read the lot again. Haven't read in ages.

Karen Travis. I didn't think her first two books were that bad (most of the issues people raise with them aren't things to complain about), third I agree was trash though. You have the first two in your shelf, actually: Glasslands and Thursday war. You also have the first two forerunner novels: Cryptum and Primordium (which starts a very dense hard sci fi story that over the course of the triology turns into cosmic horror. I really like them and I think they are some of the best ones, but they ruin a lot of the mystery of the universe, such as who the forerunners really were and where the flood came from, so they are polarizing.)

Following what's there on your shelf: Fall of reach is as you probably remember the first one, and is good. The Flood is a direct sequel and novelization of CE, it's ehhhhhhhhh. First Strike is the direct sequel to that and bridges the gap between CE and 2. It's not as good as CE but it's still definitely worth a read. Ghosts of onyx is the sequel to that, and takes place concurrently with halo 2 in a different location. It's one of the best novels, glasslands continues that plotline, before brancing off into another one in thrusday war. and a newer book called last light continues the main one from GoO that glasslands continues. Last light is pretty great. It's not ghosts of onyx/Contact harvest material, but it's close.

Speaking of contact harvest, it's IMO the best one. It's written by the lead writer for buingie when the halo games where made and continues a lot of the worldbuilding he hinted at and had in mind as early as ce and halo 2. It covers the start of the human covenant war. Evolutions was 343's first work and it's damn good. It's an anthology of short stories. There are animated versions of many of them in motion comic form that 343 produced later. They range from a sort of survival horror story about a team of UNSC soliders exporing a prison compound that was overrun by the flood, to what happened to cortana when the gravemind had her. The cole protocol, the last book you have up there is meh. It covers some early history with both captain keyes and the arbiter.

1/2

As far as books not there: Silentium is the last forerunner novel and is when it goes full out cosmic horror instead of just fever dream psychological horror or post apocalyptic like the second one. There's basically a sci fi war of creation with stars being flung around as weapons and it's pretty rad. Mortal dictata is the third travis one, and it just con tinues the new plotline glasslands and thursday war set up. It's bad.

Last light as mentioned continues the original plot line that the main books set up that glasslands eventually put on hold. It's sort of am murder mystery where SPARTAns are suspects by the innie friendly goverment of the planet it takes place on. Pretty good.

Broken circle covers the start of the covenant a few thousand years ago and then the story of a prophet, who was a descdenert of one of the characters from then, who allied with the elites against the rest of the prophets once the covenant civil war broke out. probably my favorite novel after contact harvest, Ghosts of Onyx, and the forerunner triology.

Hunters in the dark follows the two elites that players 3 and 4 played as in halo 3 and a joint UNSC/elite mission back to the ark. It's pretty good but not amazing. I'd say on par with fall of reach.

Saints testimoney, New Blood, and Shadow of intent are novella's. I haven't read any of them yet, but saints testimoney follows an AI trying to get rights for itself, new blood follows the squad from ODST after the eventa of halo 3, and Shadow of intent does the same but with the elite spec ops commander (half jaw), and is written by staten like contact harvest. I've heard nothing about the 1st, bad things about the second, but i'm skeptcal, and nothing but good things about the third.

My recommended reading order is:

Fall or reach > The flood (or just play ce ) > First strike > (halo 2, ODST) > Ghosts of Onyx > (halo 3) > Contact harvest > (halo wars) > Cole protocol > Evolutions > Glasslands or cryptum in any order > (halo 4) > last two books of each triology > everything else in any order > (Halo 5)

But you can really read contact harvest, cole protocole, and evolutions in any order, but cole protocle is the next thing in the timeline after contact harvest anyways novel wise (halo wars take place between them), so you might as well do it that way.

Anyways, even though you and I disagree on a lot of stuff, it was nice talking to somebody over the details rather then just going "lalala reach and 343 are shit" and not clarifying while it lasted.

2/2

Eh, I could see that easily being interpreted as a literal "garden of eden", in the "start point of mankind" sense.
As in, Forerunners came from there, or more likely, forerunners were very close cousins of humanity.
I mean, "We knew this was a special place because of them" implies that this is different than other places that we know they've encountered alien life on.
What, is humanity special just because?
Well, I think that may've been the point of 4, so I digress.
Thats not mine unfortunately.
I only have a couple. Namely, Cole Protocol, Contact Harvest, Fall of Reach, and I believe First Strike, or possibly The Flood. I can't remember which one. Will have to dig around to find them…
Could also be that those two I merely rented. I know I read at least one of them, though.

Nope, forerunner novels cover that.

i'd explain but it sounds dumb out of context and involves massive spoilers.

Nope halo did all of those things please fuck off to reddit.

Reminder that, Marathon sucked as well and that bungie is shit at making games.

Tell me you're not talking about that shit remake on Xbone? Tell me you didn't fucking buy that?

SPv3 is a mod done by CMT which remakes the Halo 1 campaign

for SPv3 they removed Easy and made a new difficulty called "Noble"

nother "trailer"

Most FPS's don't have generating shields, they just have renegerating health. A dual shield/health system works fine, and that's what halo has.

None of the halo games are super cinematic.

The multiplayer for halo's 1 and 2 were both thrown in as a afterthought. It was almost not even included in 1. So no, that's just factually incorrect.

How the fuck would you rather control aiming on a controller in first person but the sticks?

Aim assist only exists on console shooters where they are needed you idiot, the PC ports of the halo games don't have it.

Fuck off retard.

Learn to quote properly you lazy nigger.

Oh shit, that looks fucking cool. The only Halo Mod I've played is Lumoria, which was fucking badass.

I've been looking for an excuse to play Halo CE again, and this is probably it. I just need to figure out how to get surround sound working - my sound card never shows up in the audio options cause it's too new I guess.

Just remember SPv3 needs Open Sauce to run as it's making use of it

OS is free (obviously) just need to install it to your HCE directory

Halo killed the FPS genre and you should all kill yourselves for liking it

Shit. I gotta find a halo CE torrent - I've been using a "portable" version that isn't actually installed on my system for what feels like a decade. I liked it because I could drag and drop that shit onto an mp3 player, or a phone, or whatever, take it over to a friend's house or school and play it straight from the device storage over a USB connection.

should work with the pocket version, there's a 1.10 ready version of Custom edition on >>>/fs/ that comes with some maps already, just need the Universal UI from Halomaps to play SPv3 properly

For me I like all the Bungie games. 343 just started modernizing and adding a lot more CoD elements like perks, supply drops (killstreaks), sprinting, and newer things that Titanfall did (then CoD) with the dashing, mantling, and ground pounding. Removed a lot of the simplicity and skill of the first game for MUH CUSTOMIZE AND LOWER SKILL GAPS. Halo 5 MP feels like CoD Advanced Warfighter/Titanfall mix and not Halo 1-3 goodness.

This.

I can see why you would say 5 has some AW/titanfall movement mechanics, because it does, but the gunplay and map design and all the important stuff still feels halo and plays like halo.

I think it's a good way to change stuff up and added complexity (the amount of skilljumps and movement stuff you can do is pretty impressive) without making it too different or not halo

Also, Halo 5' has thew biggest skillgap the series has had in a long time.

doesn't help the story is written like ass and their cutscenes are pre-rendered horse shit

Shit taste confirmed.

Literally nothing wrong. Git gud at management scrub.

The post I was responding to didn't even mention the campaign though, which I completely agree was underwhelming.

No, they aren't, they are in engine.

Also the music isn't marty but it's still good, come on now: youtube.com/watch?v=4LLcP7pcIWU

You have to go back.

I've always liked Halo

However none can deny it has gone downhill since Bungie deserted their post Reach.

Reach was ok, the bitching about armor abilities tended to come from the people looking to abuse sprint's ability to double melee.

Playing in the beta, if you so much as looked in the general direction of armor lock, you'd be EMPed, being exposed to beta EMP then seeing how hard the nerf bat struck it in retail made me confused when people cried it was "too strong". The whole "frosting" thing baffles me because the fact one would have to hold EMP till it ran out to get that effect, meaning the people dumb enough to be around it when it happened deserved to die

When did halo die?

The moment they took the first person shooter meme seriously and turned the game from TPS tactical game into the game known as Halo.

Yeah I remember usin armor lock alot and really it was only called cheap by the very same asshole who would try to run you down wit ha ghost only to get fucked up because he can't use a gun and has to resort to vehicular manslaughter to get his kills.

On another note I enjoy very much the Holla Forums weekend PC Halo custom games we sometimes have. Real nostalgia trip amplified by voice chat shitposting memes.

3 was rather lame and rushed story-wise. Also, the gameplay really didn't feel as fun for some reason.

You are the one that has to go back. We left cuckchan because of rulecucks that wanted to control you for thought crimes of what you could talk about.

only Halo games on PC are H:O, HPC, HCE, and H2V

and since the only two Halo games I've seen Holla Forums game night are HCE and H:O that brings the pack down, and then to further bring that down only H:O has voice

But Halo never was that, it was a TPS at maybe ONE point in development before macworld 99, according to dev commentary.

Halo started as a RTS in the vein of myth

I guess you forgot Marathon existed as well as counting pathways into darkness

Learn to follow context you gook.
Also, he was wrong, Halo had only a shield-health system early on. Got tragically removed later.

I remember when we made jokes that one day there would be unironic halo general threads praising the games and being nostalgic for them.

I thought they were just jokes.

You got anymore of that?

Was this when reddit came to Holla Forums in 2010?

because Halo threads used to crop up on Holla Forums back on halfchan, stop deluding yourself there was always a universal hate

Thanks for the bump retard

H2 and H3 still have health, you just don't see it, I remember there is a vid floating around out there that showed how H2 still has a health system, the highlight being them shooting a guy in the foot in MP with the sniper rifle, letting the shields recharge and doing it again, the player being shot died after I think the 2nd or 3rd round hit his foot

Sure.

No they do, the guns themselves are aim assisted, the crosshair on the pistol does not represent spread it represents where you can fire your gun and still land a shot.

Rather than needing to be in the center of the crosshairs the enemies just need to be in them and they are rather large.

You obviously never played the pc versions of halo ce or 2 or halo online. There is no way to properly remove all of the aim assist in the halo games without additional changes to the game since the amount of aim assist different guns have is a huge part of how the game is balanced.

No. No it is not.

Yeah because it was so fun being pigeonholed into using the plasma pistol and pistol combo for 90% of the first game's single player.

The system was shitty and didn't play well with the two gun limit nor did it even make sense.

Plasma hot enough to burn though energy sheilds is somehow helpless against flesh even though that should be far more delicate than energy shields are. Bungie could have just used emp weapons or other kinds of energy weapons instead but they were too stupid to understand how common sense works to implement that.

Sorry but i'd rather have the freedom to use more weapon combos than what I was often pigeonholed into using than have a dual sheild system so that I can attempt to delude myself into thinking that having a secondary health bar that regenerates is somehow different that having regnerating health.

Especially considering in halo 2 and 3 health packs were gone and the health you had left once your shields were taken down did regenerate in those games as well.

Well, the multilplayer crapped on their single player and its what the games are remembered for not to mention both games single player campagins are pretty short and can be beaten in a single sitting.

I thought it would be harder to do but than this but it looks like you have officially proved that bungie sucks at making games.

how about not aiming? Lock on >>>>>>>>>>>>>> shitty thumbstick controls.

Or what about no free aim at all? Make them all play like doom.

Or how about console fps games just never existing in the first place. Gas every developer at bungie and whoever the fuck developed turok and goldeneye.

Well no shit nothing is when you compare it to uncharted.

My god you are a delusional faggot

And I don't think i've even mentioned the shit movement values, almost no air control, and shit gravity in halo 1.

Gravity was so bad in that game that 2 fact that halo 2 didn't have fall damage in multiplayer is enough to make it a better game than one on its own.

So you had regenerating health and non-regenerating health?

And one was more resistant to bullets while the other was more resistant to plasma?

That's still the same thing as having regenerating health. Just becuase it has some health that dosen't regenerate dosen't mean that the health that does regenerate dosen't regenerate.

Claiming otherwise is just retarded

Besides it was in practice the same fucking thing in the single player except for when you got pigeonholed into using the pistol and the plasma pistol both of which were crappy unsatisfying to use guns, since all the enemies in the single player used the exact same weapons.

Did you ever encounter flood enemies using plasma weapons or covanant using shotguns?

In practice it was no different except that some of the health didn't regenerate.

Your shields go down so you fight as long as you can without dying with what little damage you can still take and then hide behind cover like a little bitch while the dumbass ai refuses to pursue you in many cases.

no it didn't you just didn't have health packs which were bullshit in the first place.

having regenerating health and non-regenerating health at the same time is just schizophrenic and I'm glad they removed it.

If halo 6's SP and MP are at least as good as 5's MP it might even be the best halo game yet.

That honestly makes the weapon sandbox a bit more dynamic, plasma does less to meaty targets but more to shielded and bullets are vice versa

Except they weren't and there is damage bleed over in H1, that's why 1 needler shard can end your game if you have low shield and it smacks into you

You mean how you use only like 1-2 weapons and when a meaty guy comes up you take out the rocket and shoot them and then go back to using the same 1-2 weapons?

We both know the typical system with more than 2 weapons is "hoard everything till a boss, or the end"

But that's wrong

tfw no halo games ever again.

Maybe now that another incompetent developer has stopped making mediocre games the industry will see better days.

Oh wait never mind, because COD and shitty clones of it still exist.

How is that a reply to my post and what the fuck makes you think there won't be a halo 6?

Its the second one right?

Becuase you never used the grenade launchers ability to fire in an arc and hit enemies from a relatively safe position that would otherwise be able to fire back much more easily in quake?
Because you never swtiched to super shotgun on enemies who got really close?
Because you never used the revolved in half life to headshot distant enemies?
Becuase you never used the crossbow while underwater in halfe life?
Because you never used the rocket launcher to take out tanks in half life or to take out airborne vehicles in half-life 2?

I could go on but you're clearly full of shit. As is anyone who defends 2 gun limits in single player games or arena shooters.

Because Microsoft is a dick and nobody cared about 4 or 5 even though the previous halo games were almost as bad as them.

the minute the nigger studio known as bungie got bought out by the kikes at microcuck.

halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-the-write-stuff

New halo novel announced

you mean the weapon you used in Doom 2 outright unless you ran low on ammo?

Did you miss the point of "primarily using 1-2 weapons" and missed the point that even in DOOM and half life

you're going for single time situations

To be fair the E3 2000 build of Halo which is the closest to the final product was changed in 5 months

Confirmed for never having played anythying accept trashy modern shooters

to be fair I played marathon as well and bungie has always been shit at making games

I stopped caring about Halo 3. ODST is a nice spin-off title, but Halo 3 was really the end of the series for me. Anything after that is just shit.

halo 3 was better than 1 and 2 because master chief was a shit character.

Shut your whore mouth it's non-ringworlds that are weird and unholy abominations fuck this earth fuck this point in time and every point of time where people can't live on a ringworld

so the flood are metroids?

so you're telling me you use the rocket launcher or the gluon gun every time because there is TOTALLY loads of ammo for those guns every square inch of the level.

No in Hal-Life you'd typically use the SMG/Rifle with the pistol and SOMETIMES use another weapon if the situation called for it (be reasonable how often did you even use those trip mines?)

Or how about Doom, sure used that BFG alot didn't you? just mindlessly spamming it because ammo dropped by the bucket ful like a bountiful harvest, totally not saving every scrap of it for a fight with a Cyber Demon, right?

I don't think anyone cares about post Bungie Halo user

The flood before the forerunner books came out and made them stupid origins, were a alien life form from OUTSIDE our galaxy

so you're telling me that situations in which I used situational weapons only came up once per game in every single classical shooter ever made?

And also telling me that ammo management is a bad thing because its "hoarding"

Confirmed retard

>cumming inside with a pleased sigh of wortwortwort

you're desperately at this point trying to convince yourself having 80 weapons at any given time despite only using 1-2 is better than being restricted to 2 weapons

I think the confirmed retard here is you

just defeated your own argument a few posts back when you started swinging like the retard you were screaming loudly, I suggest you get the sand out of your vagina and blog about it on tumblr to feel better

I don't like the Halo games a ton but it's my favorite sci fi universe, even ahead of Star Wars.

They do have excellent weapon/vehicle variety, enemy variety, and it's a fun sandbox shooter. That said the regenerating health is completely retarded and ruins the flow of an otherwise great shooter.

who the fuck would want to play this garbage?

You clearly never played classic shooters properly and don't know what you are talking about.

Some of the guns were situational and the games trusted you to be smart enough to switch to thewm when the situations called for them, this didn't mean that they happened all the time but they still happened and made the gunplay more dynamic and more exiting.

The fact that you didn't bother to switch to the guns that were best suited to the situations you were in while playing those kinds of games just proves that you don't understand the fundamentals of fps games and honestly I can't blame you.

Halo fans are pretty much all delusional faggots aged 12-20 who think that goldeneye was a good game and that muh cartridges is better than muh disks.