Amateur Game Dev General --- /agdg/

We need more high quality waifu games edition

Post progress, critiques, ask questions, and discuss gamedev. Come check us out at Rizon, in #8/agdg/!
You can also check out >>>/agdg/ for basic questions already answered, or make a thread to keep track of your progress.

And of course,
Just Like Make Game

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/patents/US20050176503
google.com/patents/US20050170888
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS
flcl38.artstation.com/
modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=40933
pastebin.com/6Q6NPA7v
poal.me/gac82
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone working in UE4 find the lighting to be really really weak? I mean light intensity is supposed to be in lumens, 1600 being equal to a 100W lightbulb.

However that lights up fucking nothing, it's not even equivalent to a matchstick. I have to bump up the intensity to insane shit like 16k lumens and 12000 attenuation radius. Actually not even that is enough, I have a spotlight set up like that and it can't even light up a wall 5m in front of me. To get anything decent I have to go above 50k lumens, which is just insane.

Did you make sure your models are scaled properly? Maybe everything is scaled to fughuge proportions.

It's all scaled right, still using BSPs to block stuff out so I can set the sizes of stuff directly. Since 1uu = 1cm, it seems a 4100 lumen (with 12000 attenuation radius) spotlight will just barely light up a wall ~5m away.

Needless to say something has to be wrong, because I have way weaker flashlights at home that light up much more.

Yeah same thing here. I wanted spotlights for streetlights but they're too weak to give off the same amount of light I'd expect. I haven't created levels beyond quick test things though as I have no artist.

For me, models were scaled properly. I haven't played with lighting very much however.

Selling my ideas, 15 a pop.

Just to guarantee quality, he's a free one:

Make a game teaching users to navigate a bog-standard Unix shell by simulating a worm that evades your commands. Anyone learning to use the shell for the first time just has to follow the instructions and think a bit. The worm evades basic remove commands by replicating itself and moving, leaving traces of where it's been in some files. By learning basic shell commands and concepts, such as redirection, piping, etcetera, the user is helped to the end. For people still learning, it's an interactive puzzle.

Then there's an advanced user tutorial.

Self-dependance is crossed with more advanced skills every system manager needs. The worm is more crafty.

Nightmare mode:

No help. The worm is a bastard and cannot be truly caught, only captured; its capture must be maintained. If you do not defeat the worm, it will slowly delete your files. Let the worm loose and it will infect other systems. Ordinary system logs will not help you find it. A kill command can be used to stop it, but the true test of strength for any user is to find an alternative method. On windows machines, it cannot be stopped.

Well, while the values still feel off, it seems tweaking the exposure in the post process helped quite a bit.

Lol thinking you can sell any of your ideas and not have them stolen for free.

Snowflake.

I'm selling ideas too.

It's like Minecraft meets EvE meets No Man's Sky. You have an infinite, persistent MMO universe, where each planet if fully destructible (using voxels, and also the same voxels are used to simulate fluid physics for things like the oceans and such). Players can build their own ships with blocks like Space Engineers. I'll stop here because I've already said too much and someone might steal the idea.

I'm selling this one for 250€, it's nothing considering a hit MMO like this could bring in billions. Once I get the money I'll hand over the details and the concept art and (I used ZBrush because I don't know how to model normally). Contact me at [email protected], the price might go up soon though.

I've got half a 250€ for free. thanks, sucker!

I'm pirating this idea hahahaha

better add DRM next time

I'm legit btw

Before I even get started on trying to develop it I want to ask what you think of this, I had an idea for an ARPG based around Roman mythology, with each Roman God being a class.
Should I start working on it or does it sound dumb?

mite b cool

That's more of a story or visual thing rather than important to gameplay. Like I can't imagine how your game would play from that description alone.

Sounds more like the characters / classes would be caricatures like superhero movies involving thor etc rather than true to mythology.

Do you even know how many Roman deities there are?
Like, over a hundred. You wouldn't be able to balance them all.

Question, when it comes to copyright and patents how far can I get with mimicking certain gameplay elements? An example being with Metroid and Samus' morphball?

I don't think there's a copyright on gameplay mechanics, so you could copy it 1:1.

You can't literally call it a morphball though.

Says very little about the mechanics. Also what do you mean by ARPG? It's a very loose term that can apply to a lot of things.

I was asking because I knew Nintendo had a few patents for Metroid Zero-Mission, but they were really specific mechanics for boss fights.

Also, I totally recommend giving these a read if you want a lugh. It's thousands of words trying to describe the simplest shit in really bad engrish, it's hilarious.

google.com/patents/US20050176503

google.com/patents/US20050170888

haha video games?

Oh the plane user is back.

Out of random curiosity: how many polygons are those models using?

from left to right

Yo, looking to make a quick buck by ripping off mobile-phone retards.

What program to use to program a shitty game that will rail in the money?

I like them better the less they look like planes. 1st and 4th pic are amazing, 3rd one is great, 2nd one is "just OK" I'd say.

Might want to angle the sides of the wings more on all of them so they look more like they provide lift, too. Like pic related, but with less polygons.

do something similar to terry pratchett's small gods
play a forgotten god (or new one) and your goal being to get more and more followers so that you can beat the living shit out of the current gods
although it's pretty much been done with black and white/asura's wrath, you can still make it fun by making it a generic 3rd person rpg, ala morrowind/gothic

Most engines require you to pay for an exporter before you can do that.

or you could just use unity

I thought they did too? I don't use it though so I dunno.

the second "game" in vid related worked when i put it on my phone

some user requested futuristic clothing in the last thread.
ignore the shitty inking, i forgot to consider line weight in a hurry.
mandatory biosuits because environment is fucked, use accessories to distinguish between characters.

QUALITY waifu games. Das rite!

GRORIOUS pantsu in UE4.

Tried ragdoll physics on hair. It was shit.

it has a dick, doesn't it

Does it matter?

Yes

Faggots.

literally gay

Fuck you punk ass bitch.

Added more detail to my first sculpting attempt.

Face is kinda ugly and hands and hair are missing but I'll devote more time into them later.

OH GOD HER HAAAANDS

You're falling into the same trap a lot of artists do. You're trying to create your ideal traits without understanding the basics.

Ghandi got back

You clearly know how to use the program but that shit is absolutely fucking disgusting and/or creepy.

I mean shit nigger cmon

Also does anybody know how to connect a curvetube to a mesh in Zbrush?

The tutorials I've been following say that I should ctrl click outside of the mesh but that ain't doing shit

On a more serious note.
The body seems very similar to some vaporware furry game, which was less of a game and more just a collection of scenes/poses/animations to play with.
All the female bodies looked very much the same, large hooters and a bit of a distended belly with jungle fever booty.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this happens.

I'll just keep it here so that future generations might learn from it.

I'm not going to change it.

Whoops, didn't mean to spoiler that.

That's the face I make when I wake up and feel like shit and then open the curtains in the morning

That girl doesn't have a dick.

LOL

Don't ever become this pls.

Negro please. If we had a nickle everytime someone called the game we're working on "furshit" "Banjo ripoff" or "NEVER EVER" I think we'd have enough money to pay our teammembers.

Fuck off Dorkly.

that's what he gets for actually liking video games

When will we be getting another A&C update btw?

Eventually. We'd like to finish a certain thing before we do another update.

The problem isn't too many people hating your game, it's not enough people liking it. Unless those bad Steam reviews are the only reviews, he's overreacting. Better to be loved and hated than simply ignored. Because that way at least some people bought it.

>implying I'll even get far enough to have a finished game

At least I can draw, as opposed to that dorkly fag.

kk, just thought I'd ask

Good job buddy, you're retarded!

Which label looks better?

Don't worry, man. I will never be a nigger.

And we'll see if I ever finish my game.

Top. Bottom looks like there's too much shit pushed into the white section and the yellow ends up looking empty by comparison.

Bottom one. Separate price tags like that should always only have the price, never seen otherwise.

Top. Bottom one is too cluttered. You could try changing the bottom one to make the yellow label smaller and the white one larger.

The bottom is actually how Walmart does them, but the yellow part has a bit more information like the per unit price so it ended up looking more balanced. I think I do prefer the top one though, since it looks legitimate, but doesn't have too much clutter.

The labels need to be the same size because reasons

The 3rd one, with the expiration date bellow the bar code.

What the ever-loving fuck is up with her hair?

First.

well, i got the saveload thing to work with a new save button, as well as overwriting the older saves (haven't bothered with a warning message)
it's not perfect but it works
next time i'm gonna fix minor things with it (like actually loading the health of the boxers, the animations they were in, the next challenger for the player, disabling the saveload menu once you've loaded, etc)
and there goes all of my progress for the entire week, gonna be lazy after that and do shit

Save auto-naming would be neat. A date-time thing or just ordered naming "Save file X".

i could do that, but i thought people would appreciate being able to name their file
guess i can just automatically set it to the date time when you open up the save menu, and then you can change the name of the file

I like the top one better, on the bottom one, the whitespace feels too cluttered.

You could have it so that if they didn't enter a name it would autoname the file.

I'm not sure about naming your saves. It's usually kinda pointless if not for RPGs

that's partly the idea

How do you go from learning a language to actually applying it to make games? I can't wrap my around going from making a simple program like a temperature converted to knowing how to randomly generate tiles for a roguelike world. It is mind boggling.

Dicking around with "critical hits" AKA fully charged weapon strikes.

They're all dependent on the weapon you're using.

What I've been doing is taking stuff I learned from the Unity tutorials and applying it to what I'm making. Then if I need something else I try to work it out myself, and if I can't I look online or ask someone more knowledgeable.

I'm probably going to get a lot of shit for this, but imitation is the best way to learn something

oh shit nigga I remember your game
looks cool

Are you planning to add more particles?

I love your pixel art, it's so early pokemon

Yeah, working on them now. I don't really know what to do for like. "Armor Break" or "Cripple" or most of them for that matter.

I'd say a bunch of small chunks for armor break would be good. You might want to look how FF Tactics did most of its icons for statuses.

hahahaha "video games?"

what's this for?

fun

I haven't worked on my dungeon-crawler for over a month, but I'm getting back into it.
Added a menu and some color to the walls to make it a bit easier on the eyes.

Shit, if I had any artistic talent whatsoever, a petgirl pet sim would make bank.

cool shit fam
is that in an engine or did you make that yourself?

raycasting?

Made it myself in SFML with some OpenGL.

I'm learning Zbrush, and I have some concept art to work from to make a character.

What's the best way to start from here?

Should I do the whole body in one go? Should I separate body and head?

I'm having trouble making the head since I can't zoom in and get the art behind the model to zoom in too.

All my Box2D items travel straight through if I throw them too fast at other dynamic objects. Is raytracing my only solution other than slowing them down or making my objects bigger?

You know how the universe is made of tiny particle shit and what you see and feel is just an interpretation of your brain? It's like that. Sure you keep track of objects and data, but you only use this to decide the next state of reality and interpret it into something on the screen, else it isn't a game. Some form of output is the first thing you need for videogames, then input, and then you can worry about stuff like entty systems and design patterns to keep your code comprehendable yet doing a ton of stuff every frame.

protip

Thanks, I kinda forgot that stuff exists.

Aggy daggy, pls tell me. What graphics magic is barely used and will not make my game look like the same shit as every other game?

well you could go back to the days of the saturn and amiga and just do voodoo inside the framebuffer. like don't even bother properly modeling anything just loosely approximate it and then composite on the fly, but that's not beginner stuff and you'll invariably get lost.

there's a reason every game is like that.

What do you mean by that? Got any games as examples?

I'm the eternal engine dev. I face any challenge.

where is that top quality waifu from?

alright, the name is automatically set to the date when you open the save menu, if you want to change it, just click the input field and type the desired name
had to remove the '.' ':' '/' since they obviously don't work in filenames

Nice start.
Could use more polygons

fuck I meant
for

Anyone got some good blender tutorials?

I tried to step into it with no experience trying to make a rifle for shits and giggles but it looks like something from a 2 deep 4 u indie game.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS

I was sorta looking for something abridged but I guess I'll finally take a look at that, thanks.

if he knows java he could go with libgdx. Is a pain in the ass to work with, but you can export to android for free. I believe you have to pay for iOS though. Or he could pirate Game Maker Studio.

I dunno, but I have some nudes.

On a different computer.

Update to the map making thingy, right now I am trying to figure out the mysteries of auto tile in 3D.
It seems that I have uncovered all possible tile pieces, but I am not sure

This was all made by hand, just to see if I have all the pieces I need to start making it automated

Is a two-connection piece possible? (A corner that connects to two red pieces?)

alright, the saveload feature works fine now
i disabled the "character creation" scene, since it was only there for the name, the stats hardly affect things, and i'm thinking it would be better if they just start at 0
i'm also not sure if i should bother saving/loading the last animation the characters were doing, since they're not relevant outside of fights, and you can't save/load during fights (since that would just be savescumming)
health gets saved/loaded
menu gets disabled once you've loaded
framerate tends to suddenly drop but i think it's because of fraps, works fine when i turn it off

never really cared for excessive greebles, but things like turrets will be added of course

How the hell do I rig interchangeable clothing for characters without spending 12+ hours on each one making sure it doesn't clip through the base body?

Do I just swap out the mesh entirely for one that has clothing on it? Or just part of the mesh that is clothed?

This is giving me nightmares.

Yes, usually what's done (iirc) is just the head being swapped amongst several bodies.

how are you currently putting the new clothing onto the character? what engine?
if you're just making the new clothing do the same animations as the main body, you're gonna have to mess with the weight painting a lot
otherwise, if you're parenting cloth bones to main body bones, you could just mess with the scale of the cloth bones, that could fix things
i haven't tried actually changing the mesh and just using the same bones, since in unity that almost never works right for me

you are with a team or alone?
if you are alone, don't do clothing, you will spent time better spent making game.

either you get some crazy clothing lib for that shit, or get a team, or give up on silly details

For now I'm just trying to get it working in blender, but I plan to import it to my project in godot.

it's not that hard (if you can model them), but we need a bit more info on what exactly he wants to do

wew, i've got no experience there
the way you should do it, as far as i understand, is just to model the clothing on top of your character, apply the character's rig onto it, then delete the character mesh
after that you do one of these:
a) put the clothing on the same position as your character, and make the clothing mimic the animations of your character
b) directly replace the mesh of a bodypart of your character with some clothing, like the torso or head, etc
c) parent the bones of the clothing to the bones of the main body. this one usually works best for me since it's precise, but you need to have references to all the bones for this, not sure how that would affect ram. this method also depends on the engine's way of handling skeletons, in unreal engine, you COULD do this but it's trickier

Hey, thanks. A bit too spandexy skin tight for my taste, though.

you guys like my loli?

Her face is a bit fucked up.

>:^(

she's meant to be angry she's a loli with attitude

As far as I can tell, it was made purely for practice and for the guy's resume.
flcl38.artstation.com/
I'm fairly sure we can all agree there should be more games that look like that though, right?

One user in the previous thread said Godot doesn't even have skeletal animation support, I know that much. So if you wind up needing to use entirely baked animations, you can just make sure there's no clipping when you export. Drawing as little of the body underneath your clothing is always a good idea though.

is she also meant to be ugly?

Looks like a crossdresser.

no

That hardly ever turns out well for them ;^)

Don't bother.

I think it looks pretty decent. Colours are simple but have some variety. I particularly like the folds on the skirt.

Face is alright but static. It bothers me that the legs aren't moving. The animation itself is pretty basic and short but I suppose you're still new to it. That's understandable.

Who is she and what are you trying to invoke through her appearance?

If you want your loli to actually look cute, then you shouldn't make her look so fucking determined.

Being really serious/focused on something is a trait of adults, not children.

Unless your loli is actually a ten thousand year old goddess in a child's body but let's just not.

yea, having the body split up for clothing purposes is kind of mandatory
just disable the bodyparts that aren't visible
no idea how he's gonna handle skeletons in godot though, i didn't think it was that lacking when it comes to 3d
you can always use unity/unreal though, as shit as they might be, they still have the basics working

Well she is flat as a table

pls no she is pure

I'm gonna make her blink at some point

Me too, I'm gonna fix them eventually

Story is still in the works, but she is a loli with really basic magic powers that's trying to save her sister from an evil sect.

She isn't, but I want her too look determined, though noted, thanks.

meant to also quote

I would actually say it's the fucking nose

I see.

I suggest trying to make her look more cute. You can still give her the angry eyebrows but think about making the eyes bigger, changing the proportions on the head or giving her thick eyebrows.

I'd also suggest making her eyes rounder and adding a second set of reflections, like that shit that they used to do in anime. Then again it's your decision.

That looks like shit.

I am no artist, so that's a given

The question is, more shit or less shit than the original?

she looks like a skeleton now user what have you done

I kinda like the angry eyebrows, but everything else you said could work, thanks a lot user, I'm still absolutely new on this but I try my best.

I'd say the original had more character.

This is a generic animu nose and mouth. It's overused and just looks like a generic moe-blob. It doesn't fit with the rest of the design.

Glad I could help user.

eating with a fork is also overused, not a reason to stop doing so

Less shit by far. Call it "generic" but prominent noses clash with the style.

Shit taste detected

I noticed something that might be crucial, but I can't edit it fast to test the theory.
The hips seem to be in the wrong position

holy fug I haven't noticed at all user, thanks a lot user, this is something I definetly have to fix

maybe next game

Getting back into art after a year of hiatus, feels hard man. Seriously looking for good motivation and/or some online resource to drive and challenge me, preferably for practical stuff that's going to be used at some point.

I really like your cook user, you have to put that talent to good use.

Your style looks familiar. Did you do anything around AGDG before?

Not saying you can't do what you want user, but if you want cute get rid of the calvin and hobbes style elongated torso.

Also pic attached before anyone points it out.

Yup, I used to hang out in the halfchan AGDG with pixel arts and shit. Hoping to get back into creating stuff, maybe on here.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
that's just so much cute, goddamn user. I mean fuck.

Care to post some of your past stuff? It's always good to see old faces.

I'm looking for that motivation myself right now. Wish I could say I had a project I'm sinking my teeth into, but I don't.

This is an example, though I'll need to struggle to get back to that level.

Fix'd

I'm working alone, but interchangeable clothes are necessary for different armours/outfits.

No kidding about it being in godot. I don't think anyone had tried it before because its 3D features are still unfinished (you can't even make a character controller using rigid bodies yet, though rigid bodies exist). For now though I'm mostly worrying about how the workflow will look in blender.

That's definitely wrong. I've imported fully animated/rigged characters into godot myself.

fighting for ur freedoms and being kawaii while doing it

Oh shit, I remember you. Your stuff's dope, man.

I think I can make it even better.

kek

I recall someone saying that it was implemented with skeletons treated as transform matrices, but I could be wrong.

Her hair is still too big on top but otherwise these are much better proportions

Nice.

The guys who make Dragonball games are famous for holding the patent on minigames during loading screens, IIRC.
Might be EA instead though.

I might be wrong but I remember hearing that patent expired recently. Or is going to expire soon.

That's Namco, and the patent expired in 2012 or something. Get with the times, old man.

WE MUST GO CHIBIER

Cmon buddy.

Nintendo has a patent on insanity effects affecting gameplay, won't expire until 2022.

My bad.
Yeah, it was Namco, and I was wondering why some DB games had minigames in loading. Probably around 2012.

FUCK.
Does that even screw over independents?
Then again, you can still do 4th wall shit. Just don't over-do it like all the indies will mimicing Memetale.

OH MY GOD user STOP YOU ARE HURTING HER

The patent for Eternal Darkness' insanity does include a few details such as enemies looking at you causing insanity,which might be why those Amnesia games don't get sued to hell and back, or maybe it's because they only have visual effects. I'm not a lawyer, I don't know how patent evasion works.
4th wall shit should always be fine if not tied to an insanity meter, though.

I think it's her head's weight hurting her, not user.

Ok
After this one

OH GOD WHY
SHE GOT CRUSHED UNDER HER OWN HEAD
NOTHING WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE THIS CHIBI
YOU MONSTER

well at least is not porn

I will say that last one looks a shitton easier to animate.

So I asked in a previous thread what to do if I want to make an RPG.

I posted stuff with the basic concept of the game being either a "traditional" turn-based battles with a 3/4 characters on the field and 5/7 in the party in total, or something closer to FF Tactics.

Originally I thought making my own engine was better than using someone else's. I was told this was a bit far for what I am aiming for (and the mechanics on the side).

Any ideas on the engine to use? I've heard RPGMaker is pleb tier (both in the graphics other people use, and with how basic the games are- save for a few gems).

You can always grow more

you call that chibi

does your mother know you're a limpdicked coward who doesn't have the guts to go whole hog

RPG Maker is intended for very specific kind of games. I think it's harmful to learn it because you won't be able to do anything else if you ever want to, and because it's so easy to do that kind of thing with general 2D engines like gamemaker anyway.

That's a very exposed loli, gnomsayan?

oh god user I'm dying here

If you mean "traditional turn-based battles", RPG maker should suffice, but if you want tactical RPG a la FFT, I wouldn't go with it. I'm currently using Game Maker and I'm loving it.

Game maker by Yoyo games? I'll look into it, thanks!

As for what I'm planning, it's nothing abnormal, just things applied in other places.

Now her legs are fucking weird though.

Yes, that one

That doesn't seem like anything to out of RPG Maker's reach, as long as the combat is classic RPG and not tactics like. You should check it out first. if you do feel restrained though, Gamemaker will give you much more freedom.

What's the best engine for a choose your own adventure title?

I'm torn between Choicescript (especially with the potential for Choice of Games to market your game for you if you use it) or Twine (kekworthy, but it's got some good functionality beneath the surface). Any good recommendations?

Quest?

Looking into Game Maker, it seems like the "Pro" edition just lets you sell your stuff on Yoyo's own Steam thing (Yoyo Player) and export to smartphones and Win8.

I'm kinda worried since some of the games look like iphone stuff. Is this a limitation of the engine (can't do complex lighting/effects, even in 2D), or is this more that the people who have made those games can't find decent artists?

a majority of the unity games are for phones, yet it works just fine not really for pc

not as far as I know, I mean, Hotline Miami and Hyper Light Drifter are done in game maker, the thing is, porting things from gamemaker to android is amazingly easy, so making shit moblie stuff is easy.

Hmmm. Not keen on the phone market, but its an avenue.

Ah fuck, Gamemaker is Unity?!

Pirate the pro version and give it a try user to see if it's of your liking, GML is based in C so it's pretty easy to grasp

No?

Alrighty.

The patent expired but it was never valid due to old tape-cassete computers having load-in games.

Protip for Gamemaker, never EVER use the click and create tools. It's a bad habit starting out and most of GS's power comes from writing code from scratch without having to worry about low-level bullshit.

Also, try to learn about importing and exporting files and make your own level editor.

Will do. Game Maker has it's own language, but I assume it's close to an existing language.

Oh no help pathfinding is hard

It's just C with a few of its own keywords and operators.

tbh just use bfs

It does need to be A* though, the path costs will be important for my lighting system eventually.

Trying to texture some Dorfs I modeled. Also trying to experiment with LOD models.

Going to try screwing around with actual animation now.

Awsome. One last question:
Am I better doing C tutorials first, or Game Maker tutorials?

Christ, just worry about GM

Oh there we go, got it working.
My heuristic was fucking.

I was Math.Abs() on the sum of X and Y, instead of applying it to each axis separately. I always do that.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

Think whatever you want to do, look up "doing X in gamemaker" on google, go learning step by step.

This looks sweet as fuck user

Neither do I yet I'm still making game.

That's the beauty of making game.

The Great Dorf War?

Placeholder graphics. Placeholder graphics for everything.

Almost a little embarrassing how much placeholder everything I'm using, but I like coding. I guess I can replace them later.

That looks really nice user, it's doom mod/clone I assume?

I really want to see more of this

…squarepusher?

Nothing wrong with placeholder/programmer art user. Only fools laugh at people who polish before the core is done.

Will I get shat on if I make a game that's really just a clone of something else?
Also, unrelated but which one would be better for a Roguelike, Godot or Unit?(Or T-Engine, although from what I read it's too limited)

By whom? Nobody in these threads should.

Godot is fine for 2D, although the documentation is kind of shit.

I thought Godot's documentation was only shit for 3D now.

Last I looked, very little of the api was documented apart from the class hierarchy and function signatures. There a tutorial, though.

When did you last check?

6ish months, maybe?

I'll add that they dumped their old forum about that time too, so there was a TON of dead links on google. Maybe that's changed since, but it was annoying at the time.

Sort of.
I'm using the engine to make a full game, like Harmony/Nocturne in Yellow/Adventures of Square/Nido Force/Heretic did.
I'm using Freedoom as placeholder stuff, but I'll replace stuff down the line.

Oh, thank you. Here's another webm.
Sorry about the framedrop, I was watching a friend stream while recording.

modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=40933
It's Drummaz by The Deviant.

Thanks, user.

Godot's 2D systems are documented pretty well iirc

You call what I put excessive?

An0n, this the the most optimized result I managed to make, minimal greeble with paneling on places that make sense.

you have no idea how much pointless greeble people usually put on their models.

someone help me out
i've got a base class Person, that has 2 strings for names
and i've got a sub class Teacher that also has a string for his subject
but when i assign the teacher, i get an error about failing to read the strings
class Person{ string name; string family;public: Person(string _name = "", string _family = "") :name(_name), family(_family) {} //error is right in this line Person(const Person &other) :name(other.name), family(other.family){}}
class Teacher :public Person{ string subject;public: Teacher(string _name = "", string _family = "", string _subject = "") :Person(_name, _family), subject(_subject) {} Teacher(Teacher &other) { Person(other.Name(), other.Family()); subject = other.subject; }

i forgot to mention how i assign them
it breaks right on the first one
int main(){ Teacher *teachers = new Teacher[5]; teachers[0] = Teacher("Joeseph", "Goebbels", "History"); teachers[1] = Teacher("Anne", "Frank", "Literature"); teachers[2] = Teacher("Heinrich", "Himmler", "Physical Education"); teachers[3] = Teacher("Hermann", "Fegelein", "Math"); teachers[4] = Teacher("Eva", "Braun", "Music");

Nice fluid.

Nah. I'm cloning a game myself so I can't really judge, but I've never seen anyone here shit on clones. Roguelikes are popular enough, and no one throws a fit over those.

You're feeding it three strings but it takes only two arguments.

Wait nm I read that wrong. What is the exact error?

nevermind, fixed it

the first two strings go into Person, the last one goes in Teacher
but the actual issue was something in my copy constructor/assign operator
i just changed the argument of them to be a const, and did some other minor stuff, now it works
pastebin.com/6Q6NPA7v

Bro your teacher class has a student destructor. That's ominous man.

in geometry we "kill" any numbers that get divided and turn to 1 or just get combined with something and result in 0

well i've been productive today
aside from finishing two IT related homeworks, i did this:
added an audio clip to Switch/Output nodes, rather than keeping it as a separate function. a lot easier to put sound effects/dialogue in here as audio
hitting the boxing bags increases your strength by 1
changed the animator controller, so that now when you start moving, your legs get overwritten, not your arms (basicly this means there's no chance that your attack will suddenly stop if you start moving, since now the arms are always playing and never change the weight of their layer)
also fixed a memory leak when creating dialogue (i removed nodes from the list, but they technically still existed in the memory, i just forgot to delete them)
problem now is that i've got some performance issues with the AI. basicly once he reaches 30% health, he's supposed to just start dodging and blocking, but all the time. and all the Path checking for the dash kills the framerate
i tried changing it from using the NavMesh.CalculatePath to just using a Raycast but it still drops to 8-20 fps while recording, 20-40 while not recording
any easier way to check if there's a nearby wall?
will make video later

Also you should probably make those destructors virtual.

Kek.

Make more extreme key poses and give a longer frame hold to the frames you want

holy shiet i didn't know Holla Forums has a /agdg/ community thats really nice.

where can i find the old threads?

In hell, where it belongs.
There's an /agdg/ board here too. If you need anything else, go look into some archives.

I like the art style

so how many of you guys make games or yesdev ?

i'm making a souls-like

I'm currently in an artfag phase so I haven't made any progress in a few months(?)

Being an artfag+dev is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, I don't need an artist to make game, but on the other hand sometimes I just want to paint shit and not program anything.

>making games

ahahahaha

Crazy. The way a patent agent/writer spews out paragraphs is unknown levels of autism, and they get paid plenty of money for it.

So what is the patent for? All those words to indicate what thing? Just provide a video of the action happening.

Video's don't work on paper, unfortunately.

If there were no archiving at all, that'd be great. As long as it exists, however, all things not archived will be supplanted with the slowly simplified, ever corrupted and degenerated garbage that'll stick around forever as archetypical units of imageboard culture.

You know how amusing pieces of heritage were defined in terms of themselves, each thing being somewhat unique? How some things didn't really even get described, just known, recognized and used? Now everything's covered by the blanket term "meme". Everything's boiled down to just being an X-flavored meme. Meme is a meme. "X is a meme" and "X is a meme Y" are memes.

Now everything is defined in terms of memes, a language ill-suited for anything but incomplete paintings of the most overarching and superficial of concepts, and taken at face value to be complete and, well, definitive.

Or, you know, everything's already ruined forever, archiving won't make a difference anymore unless you manage to go underground and segregate completely from any already-developed internet culture. Pissing in an ocean of piss.

Slowly but surely making progress.

looks fast

how did you anons learn to code?

really want to stop having ideas and actually do something with them.

how the fuck does this happen

I learned from the Javascript tutorial in Codecademy. That isn't necessarily a good language for game dev though, mind you.

some guy on youtube called brackeys had unity tutorials using javascript
i only use c# now, but for an introduction to unity and gamedev they were pretty good tutorials

New smug acquired.

Found a C book at my library. Got a compiler through a friend that had an internet connection (back then they'd fit on floppy disks.)
TBH the best way to learn is to just experiment with what you can make the computer do, worry about making it into a game later.

I started coding by mucking around with scripting game logic for Clonk Rage. It was a really fun way to learn since it directly applied to a visual environment, and how datatypes and math functions are used. Now the only language I know is python, so maybe it wasn't the greatest idea.

Funny thing, I actually archived the last thread, had the link in the OP when I started making this one, then decided against using it because I know people like (checked) don't like it, and to be fair it should be agreed upon if we archive threads or not before we do it, so people who don't want to be archived can refrain from posting.

I still have the archive in case everyone aside from that one user suddenly unanimously decides they want archiving. Have a poll:
poal.me/gac82

Why should you care about what people on the internet think?

I smashed my head against the wall again and again and wrote things and rewrote things until they worked.

It's not a very elegant method.

I started scripting in Warcraft 3 customs.
Warcraft 3's world editor has this GUI thing you can use to start making really simple scripts, and then you can just click edit -> convert to custom scripts to translate everything you clicked together into a normal script that you can edit. Combine that with all the tools and tutorials people made for scripting and it's very easy to get started.
And it being in Warcraft 3 means getting pretty much instant results.

Looks fun, I like it

Basically just screwed around with a Java Borland textbook as a kid. Then I built programming knowledge onto that gradually, through Computer Science classes in school and attempts to make game.
I don't really have any games to show for it, but I've gotten pretty decent at programming.

Fucked around with "Rpg Toolkit" as a kid. Got to high school, learned Turing, top of class. Got to college, became lazy and almost bottom of class. Graduated barely, focused on C#. Now I know a ton of formal design shit, but too picky about class names to make game

take all those values and double them

while you're at it please kill me

Behold, the first game shared in an imageboard:

body{margin:0}window.onload = function() { document.body.addEventListener('keydown', keyDown, false); document.body.addEventListener('keyup', keyUp, false); can = {}; can.html = document.body.appendChild(document.createElement("canvas")); can.ctx = can.html.getContext("2d"); can.html.width = 600; can.html.height = 600; key = {}; player = { x:300, y:500, w:20, h:20, hp:10, reload:400, color:"#0ff", vel:0, shotvel:4, kill:false, shotTime:0 }; enemy = { x:300, y:100, w:20, h:20, hp:10, reload:350, color:"#ff0", vel:0, shotvel:4, kill:false, shotTime:0 }; gamestate = "Game on!"; bullets = []; update();}function collision(a, b) { if (b.kill || (a.origin === b) || ((a.y + a.h) = (b.y + b.h)) || ((a.x + a.w) = (b.x + b.w))) { return false; }}function drawMe(target){ can.ctx.fillStyle = target.color; can.ctx.fillRect(target.x, target.y, target.w, target.h); can.ctx.fillText(target.hp, target.x+target.w+5, target.y);}function update() { can.ctx.font = "14px Arial"; can.ctx.fillStyle = "#111"; can.ctx.fillRect(0, 0, 600, 600); if (!player.kill){ if (key.A) {player.vel = -4;} else if (key.D) {player.vel = 4;} else {player.vel = 0;} player.x = Math.min(570, Math.max(10, player.x+player.vel)); if (key.space && player.shotTime < Date.now()-player.reload) { bullets.push({x:player.x, y:player.y, w:10, h:10, vel:-player.shotvel, origin:player}); player.shotTime = Date.now(); } drawMe(player); } if (!enemy.kill){ enemy.vel += Math.min(3, Math.max(-3, Math.random()-0.5)); enemy.x += Math.min(1, Math.max(-1, enemy.vel))*2; if (enemy.x < 10) {enemy.vel = 2;} if (enemy.x > 570) {enemy.vel = -2;} if (enemy.shotTime < Date.now()-enemy.reload) { bullets.push({x:enemy.x, y:enemy.y, w:10, h:10, vel:enemy.shotvel, origin:enemy}); enemy.shotTime = Date.now(); } drawMe(enemy); } for (var b in bullets) { bullets[b].y += bullets[b].vel; can.ctx.fillStyle = bullets[b].origin.color; can.ctx.fillRect(bullets[b].x, bullets[b].y, 10, 10); if (collision(bullets[b], player) !== false) { player.hp --; bullets.splice(b, 1); if (player.hp < 1){ gamestate = "You suck, faggot."; player.kill = true; } } if (collision(bullets[b], enemy) !== false) { enemy.hp --; bullets.splice(b, 1); if (enemy.hp < 1){ gamestate = "You are the win!"; enemy.kill = true; } } if (collision(bullets[b], {x:0,y:0,w:600,h:600}) === false) { bullets.splice(b, 1); } } can.ctx.fillStyle = "#fff"; can.ctx.fillText("Bullets: " + bullets.length, 20, 60); can.ctx.font = "20px Arial"; can.ctx.fillText(gamestate, 20, 30); requestAnimationFrame(update);}function shoot(){ }function keyDown(e) { switch(e.keyCode) { case 32: key.space = true; break; case 65: key.A = true; break; case 68: key.D = true; break; case 83: key.S = true; break; case 87: key.W = true; break; default: break; }}function keyUp(e) { switch(e.keyCode) { case 32: key.space = false; break; case 65: key.A = false; break; case 68: key.D = false; break; case 83: key.S = false; break; case 87: key.W = false; break; default: break; }}

1. Copy paste into notepad
2. save as game.html
3. open in your browser

enjoy your virus ;)

Feel free to point out the harmful piece of code in that. :^)

I DONT LIKE YOUR GAME

Oops, noticed 2 minor problems already

There's an empty function I forgot to delete; shoot()
Also the bullet draw size is hardcoded instead of using the dimensions of the object. Initially I hardcoded everything because I didn't know how many characters the game would end up being.

OMG Hacker reported!

this was actually pretty cool user

bot is so stupid :/
make it smart.

What do you want it to do? I couldn't think of anything very simple other than making it move around randomly.

no it should follow you.

I'm pretty sure that would just make you do a zig-zag around his bullets until he's dead. Now you kinda have to try to chase him.

Anyway there's like 1500 characters (a third) of Holla Forums character limit available, so I could expand the game if I wanted. I was thinking about adding trig functions and making the enemy shoot bullets in your general direction, but I was too lazy.

You totally should.
Maybe add a score system or a new faster or stronger enemy each time you defeat the previous one

Damn, Now I wann a give it a try too, but I havent touched this stuff iin years.

it should follow you but be able to escape bullets.

You could probably fit in a lot more stuff by obfuscating the code (e.g. changing variables to single characters and removing spaces), but then it would become hard for other people to read which I was deliberately trying to avoid. I figured it would be more fun if everyone could inspect the code and maybe even learn from it if they haven't done any game dev before.

I didn't add delta timing for example because I thought it might be confusing, and it wouldn't be important for something like this anyway.

It might be interesting to experiment how fancy of a game you can fit into 5000 characters.

I know it defeats the purpose, but I enjoy the idea of tossing it onto pastebin. Don't forget you have to code tag shit here which affects the limit, plus if its too long, it could get spammy.

Ooh! Or another workaround could be to just embed it inside an image file. You'd just download it and rename it and then it works

Those are still really nice tri-counts user.

Page 12 bump.

eh, code tags are only 13 characters. The instructions take a bit I guess.

That would negate the whole challenge though. My largest html5 project including images is

We're in the final 3-ish months and have loads more to do. Core combat is fun but progression/exploration etc is weak. There's so much damn art left. Every day we're fearful we won't even be able to finish.

Please wish me luck anons.

Good luck user.

pic related.

Is that the file for a 3D printable gun?

yes.

m1911 i guess.

Would be cool if it was a fully printed bolt-action gun.

1 bullet is just a bit lame, to be honest.

What's the best choice for an in-browser game like slither.io?

holy shit
this looks rad as fuck user, I love the colors and the designs, what's your game like?

HTML5 and Javascript is what those games work with. Google for "html5 game" related stuff if you want to do research.

Game Maker can export to htm5 I think?

If you want a more programming based approach, there's graphics libraries like pixi.js, making games with pure javascript is surprisingly easy. See for example, that's a html5 game at it's simplest.

If you want to make multiplayer web games, Node.js with socket.io are a very easy to use. They're for the server.

If you want to put it online, you just need to host the .html file. html5 games are technically website pages.

Hey /agdg/, would you buy a 2d fighter set in the filthy frank universe? Im probably gonna make it in love2d cause lua is easy and id like at least light physics in it for throwing garbage cans and lemons and shit.

On a side note, is there money in appealing to internet cancer?

NO

Probably, there's a lot of idiots on the internet

Frank might be funny, but the premise in general will only attract the teens. And I'm kinda like an adult so no, I would only buy sophisticated videogames like grand strategies and hentai sims.

yeah that's fair.

what about a hentai grand strategy game set in the filthy frank universe?

Actually why has no one mixed hentai and grand strategy? Rance is the closest I can even think of. Grand strategy players could literally base their conquests on what their waifu/husbando.

Why are you so obsessed with Filthy Frank.

Yeah, that'd be great. A lewd roguelike would be nice too.

remove the gay e-celeb and you got me sold

where do I preorder

Also, since everyone is enjoying my generic but nonthless empty niche ideas, what about an RTS where you get to build a faction from scratch?

I'm mostly just bored and shitposting bad ideas while trying to come up with good ones. I watched some vids of his earlier and it was the first thing that came to mind. I then responded to your post with another bad idea based on it.

To expand on the lewd grand strategy, you play as a general under either a tsundere expansionist princess or a whatever the fuck prince who are at odds with one another and vying for the same throne. The end game involves a more total war like gameplay where the king has died and both are trying to win the throne.

That's nice of you to say user. I'm still mad I goofed up and had to rethink some stuff

will there be weaponized male genitalia so I can faithfully recreate the events gaymergate?

First foray into Spine with no idea about vector OR 3D shit, wish me luck guys.

make your own luck pal

I was so fixated on finishing my inventory, that I didn't think about what to do afterwards. I really had a great flow over the course of the last weeks and ended it by not thinking forward.

"I ain't sloppy, floppy."

hurgle blurgh 10/10

wurgle nurgle

Dragon's Crown levels of sophistication achieved, good enough for today.

I like it.

What's it for?

For learning Spine/skeletal animation.

I'm digging the neon colors.

New thread, get in here nerds

that shit is making me uncomfortable
save your stuff faggot

I recommend phaser.js

also, if you want that game on mobile devices there's cordova. but of course, I'm not saying everything will go fast. chances are it might go slow without optimizations.