What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Disgusting to look at, which is a shame because the actual game is hella fun. Instead of butt ugly 3D and a narrow camera, it should've been isometric sprites. You know, like Shadowruns.

Combat is boring, we had to wait few months for aimed shots and even with them it's shallow.
Locations are basically dungeons filled with mobs to kill. Close to no exploration.
Skills are typically divided into super useful ones and thrash.
Weapons are, like skills tier based - pistols are useless, assault rifles are ridiculously powerful. Also, I fail to see how shot from laser weapon does little damage to living targets. That's some SS2 bullshit.
Uninteresting story, constructed to be dramatic, grimdark or something. Even Fallout Tactics set up its main enemy better.

I never liked the grid of modern strategy games, like this and xcom. it looked so fucking messy.

combat was sort of tedious after awhile

Powered by Unity

Okay, Fallout Tactics didn't do it THAT badly. You at least had the Barnaky situation, which is a better villain-defining moment than most video games these days get.

Absolutely boring. Overly wordy dialogue that basically goes nowhere and has no real bite in any way. Basically the inverse of Memelands but to a dry dead extreme.

Oh, I didn't mean to say Tactics was terrible, but it supposed to be more tactical and less plot focused game than Wasteland 2 which supposed to be RPG. Like I said, the build up was much better, you had some sort of mystery threat going on. Wasteland 2 just tells you straight ahead that yeah, robots going rampage.

Looked like shit, buggy as fuck beyond the first area (which was beta tested/demo'd), fucked up balance, no actual roleplaying.

It went with the "video games shouldnt be fun" philosophy

3D was a mistake, both in real life and video games.

Aren't you thinking of pillars of eternity?

Both

I'm going to say boring lore and subpar story caused by making a sequel to a game that didn't already have either.

Compared to Fallout, Wasteland is just boring. It's just post apocalypse without a twist to it to make it original. And you know that was fine for when the first one came out, but right now it really shows.

All the mechanics were enjoyable and the game works great. But it just lacks that kick that Fallout has thanks to its massive lore and really cool premise.

Everything, there was less RPG and more tacti-cool shit that the game gave me the impression that it was trying to be XCOM while not being enjoyable with the combat being shit, can't even explore every 1 meter till a goddamn giant mutant rat rodent appears.

No need to cry over that game when we have UnderRail.

You know, this is a pattern I noticed, the old legends of vidya take to crowdfunding promising the glory of old, but they instead end up making shitty or disappointing games, meanwhile a nobody with a budget of shit comes out of nowhere and ends up releasing vidya that surpasses the old dev's shitty game.

What's up with that?

The developers had to be told, on multiple occasions, that "arrow to the knee" memes didn't belong in the game, weren't funny and nobody asked for them.

Ah, okay. In that case, I definitely agree. Wasteland 2 blew the load way too early with that android in the cave.

The have-beens are have-beens for good reasons.

And don't forget about this stupid initial choice of 'saving place x or y' then listening how place you ignored is murdered horribly. What was that all about? Writers wanted player to feel bad? It was stated at the beginning that you can help only one place so why the needed to underline it with some half ass grimdark crap?

The Fallout series hadn't had that 50s style gimmick since 2.

Having to make a choice is fine in theory but when one place produces WATER, it's not exactly a choice at all from a logical perspective.

Especially when game will look down on you regardless of the choice:
wtf rangers, you should help us, scientists!
then you get shouted by last remaining npc who dies
fuck you rangers, you just don't care about ordinary people! and you get shouted by last living npc in the area

I get that game wanted to show the concept of no perfect scenario, but its seems executed poorly, following the same pattern. Also, your team is a part of larger organization, which can, I don't know, send more teams? You even see one chilling out by the Citadel exit!