Why Just Bethesda?!

Every single Bethesda game I've ever tried installing has fucking pulled this shit with me. Same fucking error every single time. Always a different solution. Some of them I could never get to work. Fallout 3 took me hours to get to work. Skyrim took me over a week. Now this and I don't even have a suggestion of what might be the cause.

I pirated Windows 7 and pirate literally every game I play. All of them work flawlessly or with very quick fixes. Except Bethesda games. Every one gives me this error.

Every.

Single.

One.

Am I missing something really obvious; or is my computer trying to tell me to get better taste in video games?

get better taste in games m8

I recommend Mount & Blade: Warband or Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

you have a file in your SYSWOW64 thats x86 and a file in your system32 thats x64
i had the same problem with dark souls 3.
stupidly enough, my pc has xinput_1.3 inverted, so i need to switch xinput_1.3 x86 and put it in SYSWOW and the xinput_1.3 x64 in system32.
i mean, go fucking figure.
go download a thing called "depends" or something like that, that will show you what's wrong with your system32 and syswow64

Yeah, that's part of what I had to mess with to get Skyrim to work. But that means I've already fixed it so it shouldn't be a problem again.

Oh no; this is a DIFFERENT problem. It has to be because I fixed the rest.

I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords. They know what to do.

I also have this problem with the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive Classics and with Alpha Protocol.

It's called Dependency Walker

Gee OP I wonder.

yeah, if your fallout4 is x64 then download the dependency walker x64, if not, then download the x86 version and open fallout4.exe with it.

If you really fixed the problem by turning to your SYSWOW dir instead of flopping a .dll into your game install directory like every other lazy know-nothing PC "gamer," then that'd explain why you have to fix each game instead of having it fixed for all of them.

I hope you pirated that.

user.

These few lines were too much for you, nigger? He said he pirates his games.

I have a solution for you, OP:
STOP PLAYING GARBAGE GAMES MADE BY GARBAGE DEVS

Your computer can detect shit taste and refuses to install/run shit games

I've gotten that error before on other games.
Never a Bethesda one though, and never did I even bother with Fallout 4.

Check your drivers, had similar problems with Arma 3 although it wasn't pirated

Actually that's a legitimate way to use a sword, you can use the pummel as a mace.

I know that.

Sorry, bro. I'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy. Putting together computers is easier than IKEA furniture for me, but I needed a guide to do something as simple as getting the OS to run off an SSD. This shit is ALL over my head.

I'd rather fuck with individual game directories than alter system files, because I'd rather not change something and then not be able to play all the old games that I've managed to wrangle the computer into having backwards compatibility for. Those old games are more valuable to me than something new that I might only get a hundred hours of enjoyment out of and then never play again.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a raccoon.

Thx, user. I'll try this.

Speaking of things that are totally over my head: this program is.

I get that the shit in red is the problem; that's pretty obvious. What I don't understand is what to DO about it. This is just a diagnostic tool meant to be used by a professional. You can tell me the patient needs a heart transplant, but that doesn't give me the ability to know how to perform the operation. Are the files in my computer already and need to be moved into a different directory? Do I need to download them from somewhere? Plz direct me to a site to download .dlls that actually carry trojans so I can blow up my computer and get it over with. It'll happen sooner or later at this rate with me "try everything and see if it works" technique of fixing things.

you know they're all on the exact same engine, right

I could solve this problem with a small selection of linux coreutils commands.

Not that I'd ever have this problem in the first place since package maintainers usually aren't idiots and even if they were I'd get a very informative error message explaining the problem, but still.

Why do you wincucks put up with this shit?

Okay, it seems most of those files belong to something called Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Whatever. It was included in the package installer that I got with the torrent and already installed. But I can't seem to figure out WHERE it installed. I suspect that if it installed to the system files on the SSD, Fallout on the HDD wouldn't be able to access them.

Not sure if I can force it to install on the HDD, shove duplicates of teh .dlls in the fallout folder, or maybe I have to edit the registry. Fuck, it's going to take me all day to get this working, and then I won't have any time to actually play it.

Well, I uninstalled some redundant old versions of MVC++R to see if there were some conflicts, and while that didn't solve the problem with Fallout, it did seem to stop my antivirus from working.

Wonderful!

I suspect I am now slightly closer to bricking my computer. This must be progress.

Well, I gave up.

The indicated files were never installed on the computer, and couldn't be; seems they were never there to begin with because that wasn't what was causing the problem in the first place.

It seemed that the big issue was that Dependency Walker is old as shit and can't function properly on Windows 7, so it was giving false error readings. The indicated .dll files were never the source of the problem. I couldn't find any newer diagnostics tools that would give me insights into what the REAL problem was for such a generalized application error, either. Most help topics point to issues opening any/all applications, not problems with a single one.

So after working on this nonstop for over five fucking hours, I've made zero progress and know nothing that I didn't know to begin with. It seems completely hopeless, so I just uninstalled it.

I don't suppose anyone knows a game that is more-or-less exactly like Fallout except will actually fucking work…?