Dreamcast Thread

GET YOUR GAMES EDITION

Alright Holla Forums so we get weekly Xbox threads from Xbox user. We get weekly PS2 threads as well, but no Dreamcast threads?

I know quite a shame, so to all you anons that missed out on this great console you're in luck as the Dreamcast is:

Dreamcasts run at about $40 on jewbay but you can surely get it cheaper somewhere else. I know $40 for an old console is kind of wank but you wont have to spend money on games. Get your hands on a Dreamcast that has a 1 on the back. See pic (beside NTSC). Note Dreamcasts with a 2 can still play burned games but there is a slight chance that they might not, don't risk it unless absolutely necessary.

Get your hands on the following:

> theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/update-v13-imgburn-2570-w-dreamcast-drivers/
> CDI's here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0

Much like the OG Xbox, the Dreamcast is an underrated console that due to SEGA's baffling decisions lived a short-life. Still, the dreamcast is the king of the arcade so if you want shmups, beatemups, arcade-ports and multi-player fun then you'll feel right at home. In fact, the Dreamcast is still seeing releases to this day with very interesting and fun games like Volgarr the Viking, Gunlord and Pier Solar.

True. But a necessary evil for the console. But there are some uses to them, check out this website bswirl.kitsunet.org/ to find out how to import game saves and how to modify your VMU's to increase their blocks! Do note the website looks like it was made in the 90s.

Unlike Dolphin or PPSSPP, Dreamcast emulators are really spotty with missing textures, terrible sound, the whole jazz. Emulation on ARM devices using Reicast apparently is really good, yet, there is no stable PC version so you'll have to wait some time for proper DC emulation. In the meantime, get yourself a cheap DC and start playing! No need to hack/modify, just burn n play. It is still a viable option if you're strapped for cash and only want to try a few titles, note you will encounter issues for some games. Sometimes is small things like soundeffects not working on Grandia II or may be bigger problems like flickering textures on Evolution. Notable emulators are Nulldc and Demul

Like everything on earth, dreamcasts die. More specifically, the laser tends to be the first thing to fail (hence why you should use good quality CD-Rs). There is a way to fix the laser yet its a tad complicated and its a short-term solution at best. For those that are tech savvy, have a dead DC, or simply want a project, Dreamshell and GDEMU are for you. The former is software that allows users to play CDI's and GDI's from the serial port using a special USB SD Card reader. Note compatibility is very spotty. The latter has much better compatibility (pretty close to 100%) but requires one to modify their dreamcast. Its a more costly alternative as well costing over 100 euros.

EVERY GAME IN THE CHART IS IN THE PASTEBIN BELOW
pastebin.com/3eyejwPZ
pastebin.com/3eyejwPZ
pastebin.com/3eyejwPZ
Note most games can be found in the link below CD-Rs but here's all the ones in the chart (plus a few not on the chart) for your convenience.
3 eye jew?

Thread theme of the day: GROOVY
jetsetradio.live/

Other urls found in this thread:

doperoms.com/roms/sega_dreamcast/Soul Calibur v1.000 (1999)(Namco)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S T-1401N].zip.html/571509/Soul Calibur v1.000 (1999)(Namco)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S T-1401N].zip.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have one. Wouldn't recommend it.

I also one own and I would, why don't you like it user?

A lot of the best games are on other platforms too.
Samba De Amigo and Seaman are my favorite games on the platform though, so you might find my taste to be shit.

Best homebrew games?
Best homebrew/emulators on the system?
Any of you niggers still playing online?
Will we ever get Chu Chu Rocket back?

Play Chu-Chu on a phone. Game works perfectly in touch.

Sure many are multiplats but the DC still has some of the best version and a lot of exclusives to justify one bying one.

Will we ever get Kalinske's Sega back?

I just tried out the Japanese version of Blue Stinger, its exactly the same but it has better camera angles for some reason. Everything is in english too, just in case anyone wants to play that game get the JPN version.

Where can I get 99-min CD-Rs? I cant find that shit anywhere and playing Soul Calibur in mono is annoying

Dropping by with an update from some stuff I've seen mentioned in prior threads.

Seems odd that it would all be in English even then. I mean, you're not talking about just the menus either, right?

My issue with the Dreamcast is more or less the same issue I have with every Sega console I own. It's amazing as far as arcade type games go, but for people who want more RPGs it's not as good.

That being said, it's perfect for some arcade fun with friends and the controller is awesome.

Nope, everything is in english event the cutscenes, though these do have jap subtitles. Charts lookin good, looks like Ill have to update the pastebin

Pretty much, but each console has ots strengths. You wouldnt buy a Woo to play sandbox games right? Plus, in this day and age where everything is muh plot and muh cinemati having games where you can just play, have fun and relax are hard to come by. The only one that beats the DC is the saturn which is the tits for fighters, shmups and multiplayer fun.

That's true. Man I need to get a VGA to HDMI adapter so I could hook up the ol' Dreamcast to my bigger TV. Maybe have a friend over and run some games.

Yeah, as far as JRPGs and the like go, Nintendo used to be the more popular for them during the NES and SNES eras, with Sony becoming the go-to during fifth and sixth gen. I mean, Sega systems still saw a smattering of them (Phantasy Star series, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Langrisser, Sakura Wars series, Shining series, some more or less stand alone ones here and there, etc), but as far as their systems went they weren't exactly JRPG powerhouses, and a fair amount of those have seen ports of varying quality to other systems down the line. Though Sakura Wars still remains Japan only aside from Sakura Wars V on the PS2 and Wii.

Seems strange, considering the Japanese version saw a release date prior to the US one and thus wouldn't have a direct need for English as a language within the Japanese version, especially if it's not just the menus.

Thanks. With the right tools it's easy to manipulate, especially with having an actual ruler tool to tell just how much you need to shift things (for example, that update required a vertical extension of 245 pixels for a new row to fit ten new tabs) as well as guides for alignment to keep things straight.

Come on, you need some standards, man. Are we just going to put every Dreamcast game there and pretend none of them are shit?

Is that a customized Dreamcast or is it a special edition?

I disagree. I wish Chu Chu was on PC, or Vita/3DS instead. Playing with a touchscreen instead of a D-pad or an analog stick is a pain.

How do DC games look on HD TVs anyways? I remember some games there having some sort of AA, which made it and OG Xbox games nicer to look at than some PS2/GC games.

Getting back on track, Phantasy Star Online has an insanely groovy soundtrack. Classic SEGA OST right there. Toy Commander was fun as well, I have a soft spot for games that have settings like those.

Today was the Saturn's US release day but you made a Dreamcast thread!

Wish it was as good here was it was in Japan.

DEmul emulates soulcalibur flawlessly. here's a redump verified GDI of it without the gimped audio:

doperoms.com/roms/sega_dreamcast/Soul Calibur v1.000 (1999)(Namco)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S T-1401N].zip.html/571509/Soul Calibur v1.000 (1999)(Namco)(NTSC)(US)[!][1S T-1401N].zip.html

sometimes emulating the dreamcast gives better results than burning games to CDs and playing on a real dreamcast.

kek, I mean its no Mario Party 2 but its a decent party game. I wouldn't playing it alone though, those AI are cheaters.

I've got mine on an HDTV through a VGA box, shit looks great for most games since a lot of the rippers have added VGA support to games that otherwise wouldn't have it. For example, both Sonic Adventures have better textures yet shittier controls on the DC than the GC version. Soul Calibur looks godlike too. Siegfried is broken

This is more of the exception not the norm. Except for maybe a handful of problematic games like Soul Calibur or D2, most games have been ripped without downsampling any audio or cutting things whatsoever. VGA support added where there wasn't any, some even have better loading times.

I'm having fun playing it with friends

Lying faggot, it's the GC version with shit controls and broken physics. SA was practically made for the DC's no dead zone analog stick.

And Shuffle was fucking ass. When an entire mode in the game is broken, the game is bad. Just because Shuffle was mildly entertaining in multiplayer doesn't make it good.

Its a decent party game with friends, otherwise yes its unenjoybable.
Sure, because the camera on the DC Adventures was top of the line shit wasn't it?

Just in case anyone wants to make use of their fightpads they have for other systems or simply want a cheaper alternative to the DC ones these easily cost over +50 just for one check out pics related. The first one is for saturn owners and goes for about $30 on ebay. The second one is for playstation owners which goes for around the same price too. They even have VMU support! These are great for those 3D and 2D fighters on the DC.

I was going to say the same thing, who would play that when there's Chu Chu Rocket and Powerstone available?

And Blue Stinger is on the list but Resident Evil Code Veronica isn't? Confidential Mission is worth a mention also.

I'd rearrange it based by category rather than alphabetically. And an SD card to serial adaptor costs only $15, well worth it as improves loading times and cuts down on noise.

The compatibility is shit mate it really isn't worth it for the handful of games that work. Anything that has FMVs is a no go.

Besides not having the perfect precision of the DC's analog stick, the GC version was almost perfect.

Thats like saying, why should I get Mario Party if I have Mario Kart. I know its a subpar board game but the DC doesn't have any others and its actually enjoyable with friends, though its AI are broken. I can't think of a single mini-game I didn't enjoy, my lack of enjoyment always came from the AI fucking the game over not from the minigames themselves.

I'm sure chartanon will add it in the next update.

deathbump

bumpity

So I just picked up a dreamcast + SD/Dreamshell, "backed up" my copy of power stone 2 to cdi, how do I get it to iso?

Is there any free programs that will convert it? Does anyone have a copy of power stone 2 in iso format?

Yeah its possible, you can use a program called Ultra ISO its behind a paywall so pirate away. Why do you want it on ISO format? Also, Dreamshell's compatibility is very spotty so don't think you can just dispose/not use CD-Rs.