Dark Souls 1 General

The last one is on page 14 and doesn't bump anymore.

Humanity == the ultimate makeup.

Also, found this charming fellow in the shiny brass armor.

Interesting build, You don't see a lot of people who dress up as the enemy

So, what was all that bantering about the choosen undead being actually a choosen special snowflake immune to hollowing? apparently that user didn't like the idea of DaS being kind of meta with its narrative.

The game is really open for interpretation. His interpretation of is that the Chosen Undead is actually immune to hollowing and it's fine, really. I like to go with Fire = Hope and Progress and Darkness = Despair and Conformity.

does the PC version even have online any more? I remember the servers disappeared a month or so ago.

Yes it does, but is been failing lately.

Collated advice for S&O for those stuck so far.
Did I get all that right? Any additions?

I'm using whatever I pick up.

The way I see it, the "Chosen Undead" is something every undead might want to start out to be. Or at least some that believe themselves to be special in some way.
It would seem that some seem to realize they can't get the job done or they get tired of the fight and just give up. Not entirely becoming hollow just yet and that's why you have some NPCs there that you can actually talk to.

I think hollowing is actually more a function of giving up on your humanity, on your life.
Think of it as sort of like that old highschool friend you meet up and suddenly they're 250 pounds, barely groomed, barely employed (if at all) and all around just a big loser pile of shit when they used to be pretty fucking well together and seemed like they had life figured out.
So while the NPCs you meet may not be hollows and may not be chasing after the legend of the "Chosen Undead" they are still trying to live their lives as this undead, and essentially immortal, form in this crazy land.

Any pvp fags tonight? recently there has been an awful healing epidemic, every host seems to heal when you kick their asses these. And I'm not talking hosts trying to get through the levels. I'm talking about hosts specifically trying to get duels

I am a ganker so at least not as far as I know.

I like fighting gankers but the over abundance of bs fishing ganks is drawing people away from the forest. I'm alright at counter bs so I dont mind it but I would prefer more inventive ganks

I do status and greatbow for ganking, basically I like to just become an annoyance.

that sounds easy enough to maneuver through. I just do normal melee builds, I'm thinking about doing an aoe build

I recently became interested in Priscilla's weapons, 500 bleed build up may keep some people stressed.

BTW, are teleport stabs normal or cheats?

Forgot to mention that the rings depend on who you kill last.

If you mean when you get back stabbed from the front, that's a result of the visual latency, once you get used to it it's great for mind games. Priscilla's lifehunt scyth also does 500 bleed by the way, wielding both is pretty deadly

More like getting backstabbed when I successfully hit someone in front of me who is also at least 2 meters away from me (great scythe swing)

that's not normal, either your connection of theirs is fucked, I hear the PC version has more connection issues than the pstriple version

My interpretation of dark souls is that you're wearing a VR set all the time and the bonfire ending is actually the good ending because it's the one that wakes you up from the game.

If you're going to use lightning spears on someone, dump them on Smough. Even when he's super, he's got less lightning resist than Ornstein from my experience.

any advice for beating artorias in the dlc?

yes, git gud

Just keep dodging and blocking. He's got a lot of anime bullshit at his disposal, but he isn't too bad.

GIt gud. I beat him with my Gwyndolin Cosplay and nigger has mad magic and miracle resist.

Hit him with your weapon to damage him
When he attacks, dodge or block as the situation demands
If your health gets too low, use healing items or miracles to restore it

If you follow these steps you're sure to beat him

Learn his attacks, you will get the hang of it after a couple of tries>>9282193

I reached Anor Londo. Surprisingly enough I got through Sen's Fortress with 2-3 deaths total.

Time to farm some souls to get Logan's sorceries.

Nice dress.

I wish I had sandals instead of going barefoot. It's disgusting.

I switched to a dress because it had the most fire resist of my leggings and figured it might help me wade through fire for items. Turns out, no.

I do Co-Op if you want

But I'm still working to my NG+ build so I don't have my best build yet.

I do Co-Op if you want

But I'm still working to my NG+ build so I don't have my best build yet.

I am going to rebuild one of my characters pretty soon. I prefer staying below 65 though, but I can go higher if you need me to

I don't have the pc version, I just was hoping to get some discussion going. I do have a lvl 64 build though

Whoever designed Crystal Cave obviously thought depth perception and player messages were pretty reliable in Dark Souls.

Fucking blue titanite slab…

Eh whatever. The game was a terrible port anyway.

The game pretty much says not to trust player messages fully. You could always just look for the sparkling rain to stop falling early on a solid object and go by that. Also Prism Stones.

I was trying to check with my halberd!

looks like it, if my toaster was better it probably still wouldn't run properly

you get 20 prism stones before the crystal caves but I wish useful vendors hung around areas like this like in demon's souls. Getting to blight town and having to deal with toxin and poison was pretty annoying where as in des the filthy woman sold status curing items in convenient areas

You deserved death.

It wouldn't. My friend with a beefed as fuck computer that ran 60FPS on pretty much everything got his shit pushed in when he got to BlightTown. Fuck Texture effects and fuck the devs who don't optimize them.

if it's any consolation I'm running the game on a potato

You can honestly survive the place without getting a single Prism Stone. Unless you want to get the Blue slab anyway.

I did it that way I'm just saying it would have been a nice addition

How do I even know if I'm on the blue slab path? Honestly, I hope this entire section turns out to be optional because even with prism stones its a poorly conceived concept that relies heavily on the games depth perception to be good and the crystals not to fall near an edge.

The blue slab path is pretty bullshit as far as game design goes. But the rest of the crystal paths in the area are pretty straight forward. literally

Fuck I got the slab.
I've been going the optional path the entire time.

Congrats on doing the thing I did once then never again.

I've had my humanity restored for a while and have yet to be invaded. I know Dark Souls has offline AI invaders, so I'm clearly online. Will forwarding ports help? Or are the servers screwed? I mean, I still get messages, bloodstains and see people running past, but sometimes that just looks like memories rather than stuff I'm getting now.

what lvl are you? low levels are unlikely to get invaded

What's the general upgrade paths for weapons? Don't you need +5 or +10 regular or something, then you can branch it into other shit?
Different boss souls can either be used to forge a weapon or upgrade an existing one, yes?

Moonlight Butterfly only exists to give you its soul so you can kill skeletons permanently? (Is there any point to do so until you can get the Lordvessel? I've heard of people going to the catacombs early and getting "stuck")

Finally, what's the easiest way pay the Anor Londo archers? I got past them after many tries last time I played, but it was frustrating.

67 I think?

There's a Divine Ember up after the moonlight butterfly that the blacksmith can use to give +5 weapons divine.
But when I upgraded my weapon to +10 and tried to make it divine there was no option so I can't help you there.

I just ran the archers and used a shield and got lucky I guess, first try killing them.

if you're playing on ps3 I'm down to pvp

You need to be +5 to ascend to divine, so you may need to downgrade.

Sorry, just after typing that I walked into the Tomb of the Giants and was pushed off an edge by an enemy I couldn't see and lost my humanity. I ain't restoring it until I'm out of 'pitfall city of darkness'

Speaking of which, here is something I didn't even know, if you kick Patches off the cliff and then trigger the event where he kicks you… it still happens.

Or, if you jump off from any other place he will be walking to get to his spot again, he can however be killed by enemies on his path.

Na, he's either not using dsfix or really fucked up his dsfix settings.

My 670 and 3570k tear DaS to pieces, only dropping frames during Seath's crystal nova shit, or if I cast White Dragon Breath (really anything with that bugged crystal effect)

This entire place is cancer. Everytime the game wins a favour in my books, it immediately goes out of its way to introduce something stupid like absolute darkness unless you have one of three things, one of which you have to carry in your offhand so you can't two hand or use a shield.

The sunlight maggot is the best option if you are not a sorcerer, if you are then is better to have the light spell.

need any help with that area? I know a route where none of the enemies agro on you

I toughed it out. Figured out I could reliably duke the dog-skellies even in the darkness.

Already got Nito but thanks for the help. I'll probably restore my humanity and go check out what's beyond the sealed door in Darkroot.

I suspect the witch is behind that one door in the Demon Ruins, but I'll explore around first. Don't give up the answer, this is the part of the game I enjoy and I'll come back and ask if I get stuck.

Dog skeletons are the worst, no amount of stamina can help you block their rampages and their hitboxes are like twice their size when they are attacking.

I've been having a fairly good run so far. Not many slow downs. Though I admit I did skip over what looked like a giant skeleton moshpit in the middle of the tomb of the giants.

I had trouble with them when I first played through the game but oddly enough when I played through the tomb on a level 4 playthrough the dog skeletons gave me no trouble

Is this your first time playing?

I've played a couple of times before, but I never got very far for different reasons. This is the furthest I've played. A lot of people have been very helpful so far, and if wasn't for their advice I probably would have just set the game aside for another three months and started the cycle all over again.

Lautrecs a pleb

Note to self.
Don't announce where you plan to go or you get invaded twice in a row.

My condolences to my first opponent, overcome by my Australian latency. My congratulations to my second, tubby opponent.

those fucking gargoyles are pushing my shit in. Why would they make you fight two enemies with massive range on a god damn narrow area that you can fall off on?

Are you on the Belltower above the Undead Parish?

I guess? Its the fight where you get that axe tail. trying to launch fireballs at these things is so fucking slow and now i'm out of humanity to summon solaire.
Guess I have to sword and board it because its impossible to get into a real position.

They are manageable, very much actually.

It's really about learning the timing and spacing of the attacks. Once you can reliably dodge the first (and theoretically beat it as a result) it becomes a challenge of keeping one gargoyle away so you can find openings in the other.

Stab the tails off. They don't grow back between fights. Gives them one less tool to use against you. Also upgrade your weapons and if you think its dodging that's your problem, try to push your weight under 50% of your max.

What level are you? I might be able to help, I am about level 30

Having already gotten through the whole game once in offline mode, seeing as I pirated it due to not wanting to give Steam my shekels, I have a retarded and likely obvious question that I can't find a straight answer for by myself:

Is there any way to play a pirated version online, such as some kind of newer connectivity mod that isn't just faster friend-summoning, and instead replaces the GFWL/Steam connectivity? I'm assuming the answer by default is "no", which is just fine, but I could've sworn I saw something in that vein at some point only to forget it later.

If it's possible, going through this again with the opportunity to get my shit pushed in at random by non-NPCs/"help" by being a useless twat while somebody else gets their shit pushed in sounds like fun, especially since I had far less trouble with the game's difficulty than I expected. Of course, I say that aside from specific moments like botching the Sen's Fortress/Anor Londo "platforming", being a dumbfuck and not noticing Seath's primordial crystal in the background, letting Artorias power up while staring like a retard, or failing basic pattern prediction with the Bed of Chaos.

NG++
Can't kill Hellkite Drake, he even glitches off my range with certain pyromancies (not like those do a lot)

20. But I just don't have humanity so I may as well farm or just keep trying until I fluke it.

BTW, does INT actually make fireball/pyromancy hit harder or is it not regulated by anything? The stat descriptions aren't very descriptive.

you have to upgrade your pyromancy flame before it starts scaling with your stats.

At the blacksmith?

best armor set in any souls game yet, and the description is suitably badass

I'm thoroughly convinced now that the only people still playing this game are too poor to afford DaS 2 or 3. There is no other explanation.

wut

Also the notched whip or the reinforced club can destroy both of them in no time at all.

Well i'm playing it again because I just beat my first run through 3 and never got around to beating 1, 2, or bloodborne.

I'm thinking trying a magic user in this game was a fucking mistake.
So god damn slow. Range is so god damn limited.

he means occult.

Ah, I see.

magic is ez mode for dark souls, melee is a lot more challenging and rewarding

theres a pyromancer trapped at the beginning of the depths, and if you free him he'll sell you pyromancies and upgrade your flame.

I was able to play the cracked version online. anyone wanna pvp or coop. ? I'm only lvl 63 because when I fromated my pc all what was left is an old backup save game.

What are the white circles I sometimes see floating.

I seriously do not understand the fuss over the Souls series. I only have Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, but playing that is such a fucking chore that I don't want to touch the others.
I've spent more time reading about how to play the game than actually playing it. I've even watched the videos mathewmatosis, the retard that did the 6hr video of it, put out about it. The game is just tedious as fuck.

If gone home/dear esther etc are walking simulators, than this game should be in that category as well.

I've been wrestling with this issue for a while. It's really something to be said when I equal parts enjoy and hate a game.

I can only say this;
In terms of fantasy, I have found Dark Souls to be one of the more fulfilling games. Everything about the world feels ancient and lived in. Even many of the creatures feel like they have as much right to exist as you. And without a word of story told to you, other than what is found in item descriptions and scattered NPC's, you are left to interpret the world.

As a game, it is equal parts well-designed and absolutely horrid. The game gives the player no direction and doesn't properly inform them of things almost mandatory to play, such as how to modify a weapon and how to make your rolls longer or shorter. Many areas are incredibly frustrating in design, especially those dealing with pitfalls, and it is discouraging to get stuck or to die and lose a bunch of souls and humanity.

However, with all that being said, many of the areas subtly teach you the skills you need to face oncoming challenges so well that players may not even realize they are learning, and it does it without being too obvious. The game rewards exploration incredibly well and gives you the freedom to customize your character how you feel like. And even more so, once you have all the knowledge gained from trucking through the game the first time, you are freed from the burden of learning it and are allowed to truly journey and play how you like.

I can provide at least one great example of the teaching if you would like.

Sure user, i'd appreciate it.

Previous rant aside, I've continually attempted to get into the game because, as you said, as an RPG it's fantastic. I love it.
The gameplay gives me stage 4 cancer.

The room before Smoug and Ornstein is a great room. There are three enemies in the chamber; two Royal Sentinels and a silver knight with a greatbow. You are able to kill the silver knight alone and then engage the sentinels separately, or you can run down and fight the sentinels at your own pace while the silver knight shoots at you.

Each sentinels attack patterns mirror Smoug's. They have a downward swing and a shield slam, the latter of which has a large aoe which is like Smoug's downward swing of his hammer. They have a two-swing normal combo which is best dodge-rolled as it will likely break your shield. Again, Smoug as the same sort of attack. Lastly, they have this 'Wrath of God' pulse spell that explodes in an AoE after a small charge and cannot be blocked, which is like Smoug's butt-slam. If you try to engage these sentinels when heavy, it is hard to evade that pulse, which is important because if you kill Ornstein first, Smougs attack becomes lightning charged and is basically impossible to dodge. While you fight, the silver knight can shoot at you, like Ornstein can sometimes fire bolts of electricity. Lastly, there are pillars in the room that you can maneuver around to block these projectiles, or screw with enemy pathing. So the things it teaches you;

Now its funny that Ornstein hasn't been mentioned, and that's because he's not particularly hard to deal with individually. His attacks can almost all be blocked or rolled without trouble in any armour and he doesn't pose a significant threat unless you kill Smoug first. Most new players will struggle most with Smoug and I think the developers knew that, so they left you a room before reaching this boss where you can practice on fighting easy-Smoug's. Similarly, Smoug is weak to Lightning (which the Giant can enchant nearby) and Divine (which Andre can enchant much earlier), the two elements you are most likely to have as a new player on your first run. However, all that being said, the developers still left at least one attack in there for players to learn to overcome and that's Smoug's big charge where he can get 2 or even 3 hits on you if you don't dodge/position right.

One final note, there are two bonfires near this place. One where you meet Solaire (reminding players they can summon him) and one at the entrance to Anor Londo which comes with a free 10-charge of flask. If you choose to go from the former, you have to get past two silver knights, but if you go from the latter you have to get past two ordinary sentinels, who can again prepare you for the sentinels inside.

What I personally learned to overcome the boss was to do away with my crutches which were;

There are more examples, but I'd say that is the absolute biggest I've encountered personally.

I think they have something to do with miracles
Or maybe it was gravelording
I'm pretty sure it's miracles though

they boost the power of miracles when near them

Hollowing results in you losing hope. We saw that with sigmeir, he gave up, lost hope and hollowed. You hollow if you don't finish the game.

pvp is great. get gud

pvp seems pretty easy with 40 poise and up, I even have a dual wielding knife build that is pretty successful in pvp

I haven't played this since 2013, and only got to the last boss room.

Let's give it a try.

No, no it is not. It's the worst of the series. Wanna know how I know you've only just started playing DaS recently? Because you think roll BS, Lockstabs, Lagstabs, and Pivot BS is "great."

Oh, so you're just a meme spouting retard. Nevermind then.

Are you supposed to not heal when you get invaded? As far as I know the edits still works during invasions.

Estus even.

Some people are pretty anal about some weird set of rules and "etiquette" regarding invasions, like gankers out of Darkroot Garden and the like, that includes healing, using humanity to heal, not bowing before attacking, dueling 1on1, etc.

HonorFags have been a blight upon this series since day fucking one.

The fact of the matter is that if some fairy dancing faggot invades someone when they're trying to progress and demands "etiquette", he can go fuck himself because it's not gonna happen. This is the same argument going on in DaS 3 right now. You invade someone, be prepared for them to heal and use every trick in the book to get you the fuck out of their world.

You want an "honorable duel", then put your sign down and engage in a fight club, but don't invade other people demanding they play a certain way.

I got a pro-tip from a buddy of mine

That dude's quest line is a bunch of bullshit not particularly worth the reward you get for doing it

Plus he will fuck over Firelink Shrine at some point, which can be very frustrating and confusing for a new player

When he gets back to FS I recommend kicking him off the ledge

Quit and reload your game and his ring will be where he was at

Not necessary, but it saves you the hassle and nets you a decent ring

I presume you have the connectivity mod?

IMO, it reminds me A LOT of Castlevania when that first came out

90% of the complaints that I hear (other than net-play, obviously) are the same complaints I heard from the typical console owner back when Castlevania came out

It can be frustrating, but the reward for doing even the simplest things is increased so much by figuring it out yourself

In an era of games where hand-holding is usually forced upon us, I'll gladly take a game that has little to none

That's just my take on it though

Yes.

Well shit I'm stumped.
There's only two places I know I haven't gone to and one place I haven't yet thoroughly explored.
I don't know how to get into the painted world or how to access the door in the Demon Ruins (off the side before you face Abyssal Demons firey brother).
I haven't explored the valley of drakes much so I guess that's my next journey, maybe try to kill that big 'ol drake guarding the items.

Valley of drakes is a connecting area between New Londo, Blighttown, Darkroot Basin and the undead Burg
the door in the Demon Ruins is a shortcut that you can access by giving the Fair Lady 30 humanity, the normal path is down after the demon firesage
to get to the painted world go back to your cell in the asylum

You know that elevator that takes you from Firelink to the Belltower in front of Sen's? You might want to check around there.

Is it something to do with that spiral staircase on the outside of the tower in Firelink Shrine? I always see it when going up and down those elevators but wasn't sure how to reach it.

Try jumping.

First play-though here

Just beat O & S

Killed Smough and then Giant Ornstein got himself fucked by attacking too close to a wall and ending up on the other side

Fell into the void I suppose since I got a victory

Thanks user, got the doll.

Did you collect the Leo Ring?

Am I meant to find a path after the centipede? There's a large doorway all stoned up and otherwise there's just lava. I poked around before the Demon Ruins and didn't find anywhere to go there either, except for some items.

yes there's a tunnel in the centipede demon room, a lot of people miss it.

There is a path leading up around the secret bonfire in Demon Ruins, you will need to keep wearing the orange ring for a while.

BTW people, if you use DSCM what channel you use?

This, though you don't see many lategame for some reason

Spoilered for blog post.
I beat the game, which is probably a good thing, though I have to say after overcoming Smoug and Ornstein the game seemed way too easy afterwards. Most bosses from then on took 1-3 attempts (Bed of Chaos taking about 6 or 7). Killed Gwyn third try. The game ran out of fantasy and wonder after I killed the Hydra in the Ashen Lake. I had killed the wolf guarding the grave before that, and that had damaged my fighting spirit as I really didn't feel like the hero, then after killing the hydra I think the melancholy of the world finally got to me. In the end, I don't feel like Lord Gwyn even knew who or what I was, just that I was here to fight him. Not to say I felt insignificant, as by this point I had killed most of the significant things in the world at that point. I just felt the oppressive nature of the world finally baring down on my shoulders and I could see how anyone could lose spirit. Everyone I empathized with either died, was no better off by the ending or had lost my empathy. Siegmeyer of Catarina died in Lost Izalith. The Crestfallen guy went Hollow. I came to dislike Gwynevere simply for being in a bed of comfort compared to the outside world.

I had a lot of fun with this game in the end.

Did you go to the DLC areas?

Wow

Have you no soul?

he's right though
creatively, gears is much more unique than babby's first berserk

Well, I'm not a fan of cover-based shooters but I do like Unreal

I couldn't get to it since he died outside the map

Is it important?

I'll cheat engine it in if I have to

anybody know what happened to ZWEI HARD? he uploaded a couple videos then his channel just disappeared

pretty sure that guy was just invincible

No need to do that, maybe the ring is still in the room, when you push certain enemies off with guaranteed drops in certain areas the treasure appears where they used to spawn.

The ring is not important, although is quite good for spears and rapiers, or the lucerne.

are the dark souls pc servers down again? I'm getting no connections to any nodes right now

I got 20 nodes two days ago, I got zero nodes yesterday, that's why I was asking what channel you used, just in case.

channel? is there a way to change it in watchdog?

DSCM in this case.