TALES FROM THE HAUNTED LONGBOX

Gather 'round, Holla Forums. The witching month is upon us, and I have such tales of spine-chilling terror to share with you from my HAUNTED LONGBOX.

Like the sarcophagi of ancient mummies, I pry the lid off of my collection of comics to bring you classic horror this spooky October. Tomb of Terror, Haunt of Fear, House of Mystery, and more.

We start with a terrifying sample of EC's TALE'S FROM THE CRYPT, #33 to be exact.

That concludes Tales from the Crypt #33. Stay tuned until tomorrow when I dig up some new horrors for your screaming pleasure!

I remember when the book stores in the mall had the $2 three packs of comics. There was one rack that was just this comic mixed with random batman and first issues for comics that went nowhere. Thx for the memories OP

Wow. Don't these stories usually end with the villain getting his just desserts?

Thanks user

Thanks for posting these OP, the EC horror comics are my absolute faves. They had some really great artists. They reprinted a bunch of them in the late 80's or early 90's and I used to spend my comic money on these while all the other kids were buying xmen.

I have risen, my dear Holla Forumsfags, with another another story to scare you!

Harvey comics TOMB OF TERROR #3.

I want that portable hot water generator

Tomb of Terror #3 is closed, but don't think the terror is over yet. I still have more horrors to show you soon.

Where did the post-nuclear mutants come from if all life on Earth was wiped out?

Thanks again.

What the hell?

I was expecting the woman to be running the same scam, props to them for not going the obvious route, at least.

Greetings and bienvenue, my coven of Holla Forumsfags. I have returned to bring you more tales of comics terror.

Tonight I bring you Atlas's JOURNEY INTO UNKNOWN WORLDS #15.

Ah yes, the reason I chose this comic for tonight's terror. One of my favorite horror comic stories, They Crawl by Night, by Daniel Keyes and Basil Wolverton.

We need a banner of that last panel, immediately.

Journey Into Unknown Worlds #13 ends, but hold onto that sigh of relief. I will return with more four color horrors to bring the fear out of you.

Can you do a storytime from Twisted Tales?

I know there three main hosts, vault keeper, crypt keeper and the ole witch. Is the crypt keeper from the comics and that old movie the same crypt keeper from the future tv shows? If so, was it ever explained how he died?

No. The 1972 "Tales From The Crypt" movie was an Amicus production, along with the "Vault Of Horror" movie.

They're nice movies, but it's kind of weird seeing Brits adapting American material, especially from trashy old comics.

Does any still make horror anthology comics? I feel like there should still be a market here.

Holy shit. Basil Wolverton art is usually frightening and comical, but this is on a whole other level.

Not that I know of.

There's Haunted Horror, which is reprints of all of the pre-code public domain horror comics. Outside of that, nothing.

How odd. I'm a big fan of horror movies and tv anthologies like "Tales from the Crypt" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and I've been taking in interest in horror comics lately. I wonder if there is an exploitable niche here after the code killed the genre?
Sort of like Nintendo jumping into the western console market after it had been dead for a while and profiting from the lack of competition. Hell, I'd do it myself but I don't think I'm nearly as clever as most of these writers.

Greetings and bienvenue, my dear Holla Forumsfags. I visit you once again to give you four-colored frights.

This evening's sample is Key Publications WERID MYSTERIES #5.

The code didn't kill off horror anthologies. It killed off EC and bunch of other publishers, sure, but the genre managed to stayed alive for a long time, either being published by DC or in magazines. Hell, until last year, Darkhorse was publishing a revival of Creepy.

Unfortunately, today's market is just too narrow and over saturated for the for the genre to survive.

Weird Mysteries #5 concludes. Now I have to get to my graveyard shift, digging up new sequential scares for you, dear Holla Forumsfags.

Greetings Holla Forums! I hope your body, or at least what's left of it, is ready for another tale of blood-curdling horror!

Tonight I bring you Harvey's WITCHES TALES #25!

Witches Tales #25 ends, and I hope you've enjoyed the thrills so far! I have much, much more terrors ready for you!

Greetings and bienvenue, dear readers! Tonight I bring you more sequential scares!

I present to you Harvey's CHAMBER OF CHILLS #19, with it's iconic cover done by Warren Kremer!

This is the end of Chamber of Chills #19. Ah, the fright only pre-comics code horror could provide.

Also, I found some neat sketches Warren Kremer did for the cover of Chamber of Chills #19.

i like it better at that angle instead of the reverse on the cover. But maybe that's just because I'm right-handed

kek

Greetings and bienvenue! I've come back to share more pre-code terrors to delight and horrify you!

Tonight's sampling is from Key Publication's MISTER MYSTERY #10!

Hell yeah, Tales from the Crypt rocks, my grandad's got some oldass collections of the physical books too, good stuff

Mister Mystery #10 closes! What further terrors will I dig up from my HAUNTED LONG BOX?!

Greetings and bienvenue! Like a dreadful nightmare, I appear once again to fill your mind with four color frights!

This evenings scare is from Fawcett's own WORLDS OF FEAR #10

That was Worlds of Fear #10. Please stay tuned, my dear crypt of Holla Forumsfags. There are more terrors that await you in my HAUNTED LONG BOX.

These kind of comics are long over due for a comeback.

2SPOOKY

Greetings and bienvenue, my crypt crawling Holla Forumsfags! It looks like my head's on the chopping block this time, as I failed to deliver the four-colored frights yesterday as promised! Now, before we go losing our heads, to make up for it, we'll have a CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE tonight!

To begin the evening, I present Fawcett's THIS MAGAZINE IS HAUNTED #14!

This Magazine is Haunted #14 is laid to rest, but I haven't! Stay tuned, my cobweb covered Holla Forumsfags, for more terror from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Our next sampling of scares is from Farrel's STRANGE FANTASY #4!

Strange Fantasy #4 ends, but stay tuned for more creepy comics from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my creepy Holla Forumsfags! I come baring more scares from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

At long last, EC returns as I present VAULT OF HORROR #32!

Vault of Horror #32 renumbered as #21 for the reprinting ends. But remember, boils and ghouls, to stay tuned! Who knows what horrors I'll dig up from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my crypt crawling Holla Forumsfags! Like a reoccurring nightmare, I return to bring you more terrors from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Tonight I bring you Harvey's TOMB OF TERROR #11!

Tomb of Terror #11 draws to a close, but this month of horror has not! Stay tuned for more four-colored frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my crypt crawling Holla Forumsfags! After being dead tired all weekend, I've returned with more four-colored frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Tonight's tales comes from Harvey's BLACK CAT MYSTERY!

Black Cat Mystery #51 comes to a close, but stay tuned, my creepy Holla Forumsfags! I still have more sequential scares for you from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Thanks OP

Great storytime

Greetings and bienvenue, my coven of cackling Holla Forumsfags! I once again arrive to terrorize you with pre-code panics!

Tonight I bring you another tale from the horrifying Harvey Comics, CHAMBER OF CHILLS #23!

Chamber of Chills #23 ends, but stay tuned, my Holla Forumsfag creeps! I still have more four colored frights for you from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my creepy Holla Forumsfags! I return to subject you to more four-color frights!

Tonight, I present for your screaming pleasure, EC's TALES FROM THE CRYPT #32!

Ah, "Cutting Cards", one of my favorite EC horror stories!

Tales from the Crypt #32 concludes, but stay tuned! I have more sequential scares ready for you from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

I just found my new motto

That was turned into an episode of Tales from the Crypt.

Greetings and bienvenue, my creepy, crypt-crawling Holla Forumsfags! I've come back to share more four colored frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

For tonight, I present Harvey's CHAMBER OF CHILLS #20!

Chamber of Chills #20 comes to a close, but stay tuned my cadaverous Holla Forumsfags! I still have more fifties fear to share from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Same – I remember picking up one of the reprints here in Norway back in the ’90s – these reprints were in pocketbook format, and in black & white. I prefer the b&w to the colours actually – the pocketbook format was pretty neat as well, with 128 pages worth of stories from the EC Comics’ three horror titles. The small size made the drawings even more effective, ’cause you couldn’t make out all the details, leaving more to the imagination.

The first story I read (‘The New Arrival’) was drawn ‘Ghastly’ Graham Ingels, and it had me hooked from the first page. No one could draw horror comics like Ingels. Later on I started collecting the ’80s reprints – still in b&w, but in the standard comic book format, and the covers weren’t as ‘cluttered’ as the US ones, showing off more of the artwork instead. Now I’ve got the complete set of the reprints in my collection, both the pocketbook and comic book reprints.

Seconded. I always preferred horror comics growing up, as well as Tintin, Largo Winch, etc. - the only superhero comics I read were Lee Falk’s ‘The Phantom’.
I’ve been toying with the idea of a horror comic anthology as well – similar to the EC Comics of the ’50s. You could have adaptations of public domain stories by H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe & M.R. James, &c., as well.

Also, if OP doesn’t mind, I could contribute to this thread with some of my favourite EC Comics’ stories drawn by ‘Ghastly’, both scans from the original comics, the reprints, and the more recent b&w hardcover collections by Fantagraphics Books.

Thanks man.

Greetings and bienvenue, my cadaverous Holla Forumsfags! I've returned to bring you more four-colored frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Tonight's feature is Quality Comic's WEB OF EVIL #11!

Maybe you can post one or two of the scans. I'm trying to keep EC comics from monopolizing the thread since there are so many pre-code horror comics out there. I want to give my fellow Holla Forumsfags a wide sampling of the horror genre pre-1955, from the common to the obscure.

In my opinion though, it's a crime that only EC is remembered when people talk about horror comics.Harvey outclassed EC when it came to horror in every conceivable way.

Web of Evil #11 closes, but stay tuned my creepy Holla Forumsfags! I have more sequential scares in store for you from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my crypt creeping Holla Forumsfags! I've returned to give you more four-colored frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Tonight's feature is Ajax-Farrell's VOODOO #14!

Voodoo #14 ends, but I have not! I still have many more sequential scares for you from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my coven of Holla Forumsfags! After an absence where I was dead tired, I've risen to give you some grave scares!

For tonight's screaming pleasure, I present Harvey's BLACK CAT MYSTERY #49!

Black Cat Mystery closes it's creepy casket, but I haven't! Stay tuned for more four color frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Greetings and bienvenue, my Holla Forums crawling comic-book creeps! I've come back to give you more sequential scares from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

For tonight's screaming pleasure, another of Harvey's BLACK CAT MYSTERY! This time issue 45!

I really enjoy how they played with the four color printing process for this story. That's really pushing the boundaries of the medium.

Black Cat Mystery #45 closes, but my coffin remains open! I will return with more four color frights from my HAUNTED LONG BOX!

Is this wish-fulfillment?