ITT: Shit you don't understand

I DUNOT UDDASTANDO.

Other urls found in this thread:

coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/x-dream-i117/
appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7377
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

NIGGA YOUR CPU IS SHIT YOU FUCKHEAD, YOU HAVE A FUCKING HAMSTER RUNNING ON A WHEEL IN THERE EXCEPT THE HAMSTER FUCKING DIED AND THE WHEEL IS ACTUALLY A BRICK THATS ON FIRE, WHAT IS THERE TO NOT UNDERSTAND RETARD

I feel you OP
The problem is that a lot of PC games are unoptimized as fuck apart from a certain few CPU/GPU instructions that aren't used all the time

Try turning it off and back on.

this is cpu, anything running a lot of entities is going to fucik your shit up. ai in quaKE 3 uses logic, walls moving means redrawing polygons

try playing something like quake 1 with nquake (downloads shareware episode so you can play online for free) and tell me if the problem persists

The Japanese have no business being anywhere near computers.

the magic of free as in free beer

Dude how fucking shitty is your CPU?

Jesus, Japan can't into optimization at all. That's terrifying.

I want to imagine OP is just playing on an Original Xbox in Linux. Because a Pentiun 3 mobile sounds like it would run this bad.

Single core CPU amirite?

Because your shit GPU can process certain shit, it relays on CPU power to do so, while your CPU is already busy doing it's own shit, that's why everything just shits itself.

Close.

AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70 with Xubuntu.

user, please do yourself a favor and get a cheap Intel Atom device, even if you only spend 100 dollars on a tablet, its a lot better than what you're currently using

Jesus christ. It's literally worse than an Xbox.

Chances are you don't have hardware acceleration enabled, also disable all kinds of compositing

I feel you kids. For years my PC was absolute shit. I used to have trouble running RA2, in fucking 2004. I got a "new" laptop in 2005 for college that could barely run CnC Generals and EVE Online. I think I played Guild Wars on it on the lowest graphics settings.

I once had an old fucking Voodoo card that I played Sims 3 on until the fucking thing developed overheating problems due to that game doing something that fucked up the thermal barrier between the heat sink and the gpu. I would play games and after a half hour get artifacts out the fucking ass.

Nowadays I have a full time job and can afford to at least keep my gaming rig middle of the road, but I endured about a decade of the dark ages before this point.

Chin up, kids, you'll make it.

Jesus kid you could get 2007 tech for dirt cheap and have a computer that is immeasurably better than what you're using.

Where from?

Keeping in mind my budget can't exceed £100 because poorfag.

My computer is $100 Dollerydoos which is what 150-200 Euros and is 4 Gig with a Celeron and a half decent Graphics card, I also have an i5 included with that $100 that I want to replace the Celeron with but don't know how

garage sales, craigslist or whatever you have in bongistan, you could probably pick something better out of the trash at this point tbh fam

you need a motherboard with the right socket type. look up the i5 model

Well my Friend had his i5 in a very similar unit to mine
I just don't know how to swap core chips and heard its not easy

check the socket type, look up your motherboard and make sure they match. if it's the right socket swapping cpus is easy as hell.

Not easy? First, ground yourself once to get rid of static electricity.Take notice that one corner is angled on both the CPU and its socket. Match them accordingly. Also apply a drop of thermal paste at the center. That's not magic, ffs!

$100 equals about £70.

£100 is about $150.

How could I make a whole Linux computer for that much?

Well do you know a guy with a sorta old PC that he doesn't use any more or a least parts of one

What did it look like?

Maybe you should be more concerned with getting a job

Jobcannon.png

I dunno, check used goods markets. When my only computer (a laptop) died in 2012 I had to go and buy some computer as cheaply as possible, got some dated but otherwise allright computer for like $100, it even had 128 MB GPU. None of these fuckers ever managed to fix my laptop and 3 months later I had to sell it for scrap, got like $70 for it.

My POS has a 1 GB GPU.

Well good, you can keep the GPU then, you only need to get a hold of half-decent CPU and a matching motherboard.

The problem being that this is an age-old laptop I got from a charity shop for £30.

Wat

Yeah there's this reverse Moore's law, improvements in hardware power will be nullified by absolute neglect of performance optimization in software.

I mean what the fuck are you even talking about if the game takes whopping 8 gigabytes of memory, 8 billion fucking bytes, you can store 2 billion different numbers in that space or 1 billion if you go "fuck it" to memory considerations because double precision doesn't freak out until much larger numbers. And memory data fetching takes fucking forever. None of those high profile memory timings mean jack dick in context of CPU performance, they're utter fucking shit. This is why CPU has its own memory where it stores important shit, mostly program stack but sometimes a small "hot" section of heap memory. If CPU doesn't have to reference RAM it can work up to 1000 times faster. But that never fucking going to happen if you have that much shit in your RAM and you grind it all the time. Don't get me even started on automatic memory management, that's pure cancer.

Nigga I was playing Q3A on a 400Mhz Pentium II and a shitty 64MB GPU, how the fuck do you have worse than that?

Silky smooth 5 fps

Whereas I definitely had problems with recent releases. Even say subnautica was pretty jagged. I just have no idea what happened here.

It feels like rolling a die everytime something gets a pc release, all I wanted was to play the last dark souls but I just cant play with this shit FPS. Years ago I had a shit computer and did WoW raids at 3 fps but I cant stomach that anymore

I feel you, OP.

I remember when I was pretty much forced to use my dad's old laptop with subpar specs from 2006. The VIA graphics chip inside couldn't even render 3D graphics from 1999 above 30 FPS at 640x480. Imagine trying to play Quake III or Deus Ex on that. With about 800 MB of RAM (1 GB minus 128 MB for graphics) using a web browser with more than two tabs opened was a death wish. I was hoping to give it a bit of a performance boost with Linux, but it turned out the open source drivers for it were even worse than the ones for Windows.

Even now I'm stuck with a Frankenstein's monster of a desktop PC, with random parts from 2006 and 2009.

The ride never ends, onii-fam.

That makes no sense at all. I'm used to different games using Vsync better or worse, but whether it helps or makes little difference or makes things worse, it does so consistently for that particular game. I have never had a game be as random about it as Darksiders. Still, the really frustrating thing is that I know it can run smoothly without tearing, it did for like an hour and a half, so why can't it do it again?

You people have only yourself to blame. Stop relying on laptops to play games, if you want an overpriced non-upgradable computer to accompany your desktop, get a cellphone or something.

250MHz PPC 603 with 16MB Permedia 3 (slightly below a V2, R128, or TNT on most period games) GPU, never dipped below 30 FPS on Q3 or UT.

I had my excuse, I was moving around a lot at the time. Now that my life is settled on one location, I own fairly nice tower.

I stil feel like I did something wrong putting my shit together because I get sub-optimal fps when I should be getting better.

I had that same problem, turns out having your cpu overheat and throttle itself so it doesn't melt will bottleneck your system

If you're using a prebuilt, you might try swapping the cooler. Even swapping thermal paste alone can drop temps 10°F-30°F, since a lot of factory applications are hideously incompetent.

Also because they use the inferior ceramic type of thermal compound, as opposed to the more effective silver based ones like Arctic Silver 5.

I have a coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/x-dream-i117/ cooler that's really old and kinda burnt on the edge of the fans and i bought a 212 EVO to replace it with, problem is i have to take out the motherboard to set it up and that's a load of work i haven't bothered with.
DS3 was giving me problems but i just said fuck it and kept playing other shit. I might take out the cooler i have just to replace the thermal paste though, that sounds simple enough
Pic related

96 degrees is an unsafw temperature and your computer SHOULD have shut itself down long before you ever reach those temperatures

Overwatch likely uses some new fangled in house engine that requires unnecessarily good hardware to play a game that likely could have been made with the exact same gameplay and more or less identical graphics as something released eight years ago.

Red orchestra 2 used Unreal 3, which even cell phones can use at this point.

Quantum break was the only exception

how else am I supposed to play the game.

Stay salty, fags.

I think he was trying to get the point across that you installed a garbage OS to play a garbage game. Could just be me, I don't know.

Oh you

no wonder youre a virgin loser

Jesus. What the shit did you expect?

GW1 is optimized as fuck.
I've played it on many a toaster, only failed to work on one due to bad internet.
For all it's faults GW2 is also pretty optimized.

If you're willing to go over your budget a bit get a Thinkpad T420 off Ebay. They're all office surplus, and shouldn't cost you more than £180 at most. They're not powerhouses but they're much better than what you have, and you'll get some Holla Forums cred. They have great Linux support as well.

The i5-2500K is a desktop processor.
That user has a desktop.

Will I be able to play STALKER in WINE?

Never played it, sorry.
According to WineHQ it seems to run OK appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7377

What mod? I feel the urge to try it

You have no idea how happy you've made me user
Sage because no toaster

That's an overheat of your GPU.
Run your computer open and see if your GPU fan is actually working.

Both fans are working and speccy says it never gets over 70 centigrade.

Retards. I have a desktop computer, hence the 2500k.

Man I'm glad we don't have to use those anymore. The G4 is a fucking champ in comparison. I want to upgrade my PowerMac but now the parts are super rare and it's almost not worth it.

Not much. If you can find free spare parts from friends, you can at least get an AMD APU of decent variety, motherboard, and RAM, and then you just need a case, Power supply, and hard drive, since I assume you'll install everything via USB or over the internet. Shame you're in the UK, Microcenter in the US has pretty decent deals for getting an AMD APU + Mobo.

Then again, I just remembered something.

I have a PC with 4 GBs of RAM and a 550 Ti hidden somewhere in my house, but it got a fucking virus and the power supply went kaput.

Know where I can get a decent power supply for cheap?

Don't get a cheap one because they go kaput and fuck everything up with them. I use a Corsair one but apparently they're hit and miss.

Don't go cheap on a power supply, man. It could fry your everything. I'm personally using some refurb'd EVGA stuff, which goes on sale from time to time on their B-stock site. Otherwise, Newegg/Amazon are the places to look.

Find yourself a Fortron Hexa, they're the cheapest not absolutely shit PSU.

I would still recommend you go with a Seasonic.

do americans have council chuck-out days?

Roll back your drivers if Nvidia. For the past year Nvidia has released nothing but garbage drivers that crash consistently.

I wonder what the 550 Ti drivers are like for Linux.

When I had it before, both Warband and STALKER would constantly crash, though that was likely due to the fucking thing being 32-bit.

>game runs better at higher settings

This is what really breaks my brain. Also

This has happened with three games now. For what possible reason does the conflict only count the first time the game runs?

It's an AMD, son. R9 270X.

What's the thing you're turning off, maybe the game can't create the configs and such for the first time you run them because they're being blocked by it and afterwards it runs fine.

AMD has a bad rep for a reason.

AMD why

AMD has a bad rep for a reason.

Half-Life 2 is massively overrated as a groundbreaking technical achievement. Most games run better on new hardware, but HL2 seems to only get worse.

And the loading screens, don't get me started on loading screens. The problem of seamlessly streaming assets during gameplay had already been solved as early as Jak and Daxter, GTA 3 or even fucking Crash Bandicoot, and yet HL2 managed to remain in the loading screen stone ages. They seem to unload all memory and then load everything again on every map change. Even by the time Episode 2 came around Source was and still is to this day still utterly incapable of loading new assets or map geometry on the fly.

Loading assets on the fly would hurt modability of the engine or creating new maps for it. Source engine has been used in games of other studios so I don't see where there is a fundamental problem. You're bitching out of your own experience on running a game on a toaster.

That's false. There's a special command that unloads content, but if you don't use that, loading to another map will be faster.

HL2 uses BSP maps which are good for medium sized arenas, but not so much for open giant maps

making truly open areas or megatextures is a whole different philosophy than BSP maps. you'll probably have to sacrifice about half of the HL2's graphics fidelity to have seamless maps running on the hardware of that time due to the fact BSP was made for putting out as many triangles of the level on screen as possible without processor bothering with resources that will never be currently visible. if you introduce seamless traversing it now needs to consider new triangles being streamed from media. crash badicoot could deal with it since you only move in one direction. in HL2 you would have to rebuild BSP or scratch, or just put everything inside one single level and ask players to buy 32gb of ram.

BSP worked great back when GPUs were slow. Today GPUs render so fast that trying to cut down on rendering as aggressively as BSP does actually tanks performance by doing too much shit. Hell, in Hammer editor there's those subdivided surfaces, if you use one big ass subdivided surface for terrain instead of shitload of normal flat surfaces that would make up exactly the same geometry, it runs fuckton times faster with single subdivided surface than multiple normal surfaces because it only has to calculate rendering path for one item and not many.

BSP outlived itself already. It's time to put it on the shelf of history next with idTech1 and the like where it belongs.

we're talking about HL2 though, and why HL2 doesn't have seamless terrain

actually there was a problem with Rise of the Triad levels because they made levels with tons of different small parts instead of cooking up the level which caused huge performance loses until they BSP'd that shit in later patches

If you're talking about Half life 2 and such, don't forget that the orange box updates vastly reduced the performance for those games. So it ain't good for toasters anymore.

it plays ok

Doesn't the Turion X2 not even have an integrated GPU? If that is the case, no wonder everything runs like crap.

Try the cheapest on logicalincrements.com, you probably don't have to buy a case nor power supply or even hard disk since you would might already have those, and if not, you should really be able to get case + powersupply for dirty cheap/free from second hand.

And really, just look around on online second hand sites, I have seen much better pcs for much less.

This is all I had circa 2000.

Yeah, I played a lot of Quakeworld MegaTF.

Also Descent:Freespace

Basically stuck on ca. 1993 hardware until 1999, then I got a Voodoo2 and it unlocked a lot of games. but mostly just allowed me to play 640x480 in Quake at good framerates

320x200 software mode to GLquakeworld was a YUUUUGE jump.

Since I had a 33.6 US Robotics hardware modem, my ping times were a pretty consistent 230ms on Biscuit East.

Then I got a Pentium III 700 with a Geforce 2 GTS. That's right about when games started to get shitty though.

I just missed the golden age of Pentium II 450, TNT and dual Voodoo2, by the time I got to those ca 1999-2000 games in 2001, no one was playing them online anymore.

I have something with even lower specs than this, don't test me.

>on the fucking title screen
>while minimized
How the fuck is it even possible to be this shit at optimization

Do you have like 7 Trojan bitcoin miners on your PC or something?

jesus christ user

If the plan of using my old gaming PC works, I could be in the clear.

Fox Engine
MT Framework

Proven wrong.

Adobe Creative Cloud. How that would get in the way of the game making its initial configs I have no idea.

Besides, the specific problem is always the same: The game starts, goes to fullscreen, and just sits there completely black for a few second then auto-minimizes. If I try to go back to it again, same thing. If the game has a launcher or pre-start configuration tool of some sort, that works fine, it's only starting the game itself where the problem occurs.

I wonder if this is a good, or bad time to remind you that the Source Code Project for Freespace (2) exists? It's amazing stuff but you're gonna want some good hardware to use everything.

My Turion x2 RM-72 I think it was, ran Mass Effect 2 well enough with the inbuilt Radeon HD3200, user. (Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens SA3650, a fairly unique laptop for external graphics with a HD3870, too bad it suffered microstuttering).

I'm gonna look at the wattage tomorrow, when I do I will take a look at my options.

Just keep reading that over and over until you understand. It's really not that difficult of a concept. Get a better computer, shithead.