Dark Souls 1 General

Ok, so Dark Souls 3 is several years, perhaps half a decade of development and fame…lets look at the first game.

How long as it been since you played it? right now i'm playing it from the start.

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1047/?
youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

this game seems so quaint and innocent compared to the rest, doesn't it?

like even the customization options…

as far as the lore goes, look at this.

So is it safe to assume, at least in this age, there are actual LIVING humans?

Yeah, and you meet two. One I can't recall, the other is Siegwards daughter. She isn't cursed and can leave Lordran. I forget her name too.

One thing I found intresting, they seem to refer to Humans as a bit of a problem. A parasite here.

Basically a byproduct of the flame that happened after the age of dragons and trees and shit.

We are. Humanity is a force from the abyss, or darkness. Humanity can also be burned in such a way that even the weakest lamp will never go out.

I just want you all to take a look at how ugly this game looks.
I want you all to realize just how far we've come in 5 years.

Put all your points into the Swimming skill

I just can't like dark souls 1.
too many shitty unfinished and frustrating areas.

It looks fine to me. Though I play tons of old games, you also have DoF really high. So you can't see shit. If you have DSFix I would recommend setting the DoF ceiling a little higher, you'll see more and the game looks a lot better.

Yeah, it's a slog halfway through. Real shame. don't worry about not being able to complete it. It doesn't hurt you.

I'm bad at acronyms
What's DOF?

please elaborate.

Depth of Field. It "mutes" the distance you can possibly view. It has a ceiling in the DSFix. I'm not sure what you're specs for your PC are, but I could tell you to change it to 810 in the fixes .ini.
And I can elaborate what he means as well by unfini9shed areas.
Dark Souls 1 lost a year of development time and had to be hastily finished. This means an item you acquire called the Lord Vessel essentially this is where the game breaks down and you get problems in level design, enemies and many areas. It's obvious it was all patched together and wasn't done very well, concept art will further frustrate you like Seath's Archives were meant to be a huge labyrinthe of books, stairs and magic but it isn't this way in game.

Why not start at Demon's Souls if you want to reexamine the series? Even if set in a separate setting, most of Dark Souls is a big retread of Demon's souls. Biggest differences come from the new in-universe folklore, new spell types in the form of pyromancy, covenants, and the world not being centered around a hub. Most of the menus and systems are nearly identical to Demon's.

By Depth of Field I hope this image suffices. If you compare my image to yours, you'll notice you can see my armor better without it being too muddy looking in texture. DoF mutes things. If you turn this off the game actually looks pretty good.

have you payed dark souls?

of not, you should do it and see for yourself

Alright, I'm gonna post here to say that I fucking hate DaS' lor and that I need answers.

I already have finished the 2 first games.

Why the fuck is the "Flame" so important? Why is fire considered "magic" in the whole serie when it's something completely natural?

How can human be a "parasite" created after the age of dragons n' shit while most of the creatures/gods in game already look human?

How can the NPCs travel safely in game, like the mobs aren't a problem while I get killed at least 10 times per zone? Why can they bypass bosses? How can a 100 yo granny make it form the Forest of the Fallen giants to Majula without a single trouble? Same for the girl who sells the rocks.
Why is the "flame" so important? There's fire everywhere in the game, why is it "fading"?
Why is the world falling apart, where are the people who lived there? How could they live in such a zone?
Where does Dark Souls happen? Why do undeads come to this land?
How can thousand of years go between the games and nothing changes in term of culture and technology?
Why are some human WAY taller than others?
Why is the time of the day different in each zones?
Does it happen on Earth?
Why are humans the only intelligent specie (APART from Ornifex)?
Why are there kings if there is nothing to rule upon?
How can you grab the soul of a foe when it dies?
What is the value of 1 soul?
Why is it their money?
What the fuck is titanite? Why do you need it to upgrade weapons, it's not even metal.
What are the Titanite Demons?
Why do the human enemies never speak?
Why do foes never fight each other and only pursue you?
Why do they even try to kill you?
Why am I cursed/undead and can speak to everyone but whenever a NPC goes undead he attacks everybody?

And many more, I write them as I remember them.

The gameplay is good, but god I can't stand the lack of story in a game like this.

Because DeS isn't on PC, and you can't even play the english version on a bloodbornestation.

DaS is as good of a point to start as any.

I would say the tone of the game shifted and became stronger in Dark Souls, from Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls it feels like parts of it are missing. Though I do like poise being added.

Uhm no. Now I realize there are tons of similarities, the point stands that whatever spark that demons souls had wouldn't ever be followed up on and Dark Souls had to be different enough to not get hit by some fucking shitty lawsuit.

so its dark souls where I start.

maybe he just didn't install the dsfix

I have played DaS 1 on PC
DaS2 on PS2
and recently DaS3 on PC.
DaS3 is the only one I have actually beaten (at least once) and I like to go back to the roots of a series sometimes.

it's a videogame you nigger

I think I did.

Indeed he didn't. Take a look at his screenshots, they look really muddy compared to

Op get dsfix, it is really a must. The game's internal resolution is locked to 1024x720 without it.

I would recommend reading the options and carefully selecting aspects. Like unlocking it to 60 fps, setting the DoF ceiling higher and adding some anti-aliasing if you'd like.

Jesus christ are you fucking retarded?
some of those questions are simple common sense you idiot.

for those wondering.

I think the game just didn't age as well as you remember.

of course it deosn't because motion blur is on you dingus

Yeah. You have your internal resolutions set. For some reason the in-game AA causes hiccups, turn it off. Motion blue is dumb shit too turn that off. The in-game resolution is forced 1024x720, but apparently DSfix works for you just fine.

Check again your dsfix.ini. Be sure everything is set correctly and it's working on your game.

This is how the game should look.

ok
where do I find the dsfix.ini?

It's something you download from Dark Souls nexus. You place it where you installed your game.

Dark souls 3 has more in common with demon's souls than it does dark souls 1. But really they aren't that different, just the same thing viewed through a slightly different lens each time

Google dsfix, first result. Follow the instructions.

Optionally you could also get the high res font mod, because the default ones look like shit.

And disable in-game AA. It's just a bad looking blur filter and causes problems with dsfix.

Looks like I didn't install it.
Ok..so going to do that.

BTW, more lore would be nice.
It seems like DS1 lore and whatever lore happened after DS2 and 3 are very different so far.

The maker of DaS1 wasn't involved with DaS2, and didn't take its lore in to consideration when making DaS3, which in the Dark Souls timeline actually takes place *before* DaS2.

And also I prefer Dark Souls 2 over Dark Souls 3

DaS1 is the OoT of the series in that every game borrows from it heavily and relies on it in some way or another

DeS - ALTTP, DaS2 - WW, DaS3 - TP

Better?

Yes. Better, now you can clearly see the game itself. You'll find tons of little niche details you wont find in many other games that make it a staple to look at even simple environments.

at least the story in ds2 tried to do something new instead of being a 100% rehash like ds3

dat volcano on top of a windmill though

It was a rehash story-wise though.
That game bored me to death. I beat Fume knight in the second DLC and quit playing.

That and the mountains out of nowhere "above" Aldia's Keep. Fucking hell From…

DaS was a niche title user. It should have stayed that way. Not everyone is going to like it, so calling it overrated means you're mad at someone else for recommending it to you and you didn't like the gameplay. Stick to stuff you like for fuck sake.

I wouldn't say it's boring, just very laid out. It can be a bit annoying trying to figure it out blindly, especially with the lack of online messages nowadays, but it definitely sets up an atmosphere and builds a unique world, at least compared to what else was out at the time

Atmosphere is what keeps me coming back to Dark Souls. I do also enjoy the combat. Something is satisfying about that simple parry and riposte system.

This is the firelink shrine if the first game.
So its safe to assume that every other game takes place long after this…

or maybe long before?

Started playing last night again and decided to do a little "cosplay" of the blademaster from WC3.

Fun as fuck. I'm also thinking about trying a Roman soldier, but I guess I'll do that one later.

After.

I played it again a few weeks before ds3 came out, and while it's still really fun, there are some TERRIBLY designed areas in that game. Literally nothing in ds3 can compare to how terrible lost izalith, the bed of chaos, and all the other incomplete areas after getting the lord vessel

To simulate the critical strike I'd use the charcoal bundles. Just use them randomly, they normally last one or two attacks.

The implication is that Dark Souls 2 is a few hundred years later
And Dark Souls 3 is most likely an entire millennium later

What the fuck is going on with the multiplayer on PC? I have PvP watchdog and now DSCM, and I got 20 nodes only after 2 hours of playtime. It's much more fun seeing the bloodstains and messages and having the chance to co-op. Is there anything I can do to make the MP smoother? I've heard port forwarding might help but I can't get into my router settings. I'm using LAN Europe as the download region in Steam, is that alright?

And fuck New Londo, I got cursed in the Depths and barely managed to get to this guy. Pyromancy seems to be much better than sorcery at this point, too.

They screwed up something and because of that the game doesn't manage to connect well to other people. Sometimes I only manage to build up nodes by connecting through DSCM.

I've also port fowarded and changed the region, but it didn't seem to help much.

There are DSCM in development with its own separate matchmaking system.

Dark Souls 1 just had shit graphics, Crysis came out in 2007.

Is there any way to play this multiplayer with a pirated copy?

Yes.

Would someone be nice enough and upload their save games? I lost mine when I downgraded to win 7. it can be anything I just don't want to play from the start again.

you can with DS III.

DaS was my first "Souls type game" as they all them these days.

After that I did like Bloodborne since it was more hectic and no defense made you constantly move, but this was nothing new for twohanders and such.

Das3 was better than I expected, it combined the hecticness from BB and the scale of battles from Souls, even if it was too short of an experience and I won't be returning even into NG+, It was good. Really good.

But still it's hard not to miss what DaS got right, the exploration and constant fear of peril, and upgrading possibility at any bonfire.

After DaS any "bonfire" has just felt more like a "chance to warp home" rather than "a slight breather while looking for that shortcut".

Someone decided to make a new thread about the classic? nice.

The main thing that made the game for me was the exploration. Other games have exploration as well but it's usually limited to the area you're supposed to be in with very few branching paths to alternate areas.

None of the shit like going to catacombs early or going down to the Valley of Drakes and ringing the second bell first or getting to Darkroot before Undead Burg.

Enemy placement was also significantly better and with some exceptions like the lava section of Lost Izalith didn't feel unresonable. It rarely introduced a new enemy on its own only to moment later have you fight that same enemy only now there's 10 of them and you have to tediously drag them apart for up to 10 minutes or just risk running past them. Not even going to go into all the fucking ambushes on pickups and how some enemies would straight up not even exist until after an ambush is triggered at which point they phase into reality.

I guess it just felt less cheap because you were more equipped to deal with the challenges you faced, the way there was lots of equipment readily available early on due to many areas being connected also helped. When playing Dark Souls 1 I had fun all the way through except for Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith where it just felt like a horrible tedious trudge, in Dark Souls 3 everything feels like a horrible tedious trudge except for some areas like the Undead Settlement.

Mentioning any of this will make Souls fanboys start yelling about gitting gud because a game being more tedious is means it's better to them.

It's a shame Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls didn't have the password shit though because that would have made co-op with friends a lot less annoying to attempt.

Shame you didn't like Das3, I really enjoyed it, felt like a return to glory after the vomit that was Das2 and it's DLC.

We might not see another type of it's game of high quality in the next 5-10 years, that much has been shown by other developers trying and failing and From not getting naything done without Miyazaki.

But if you happened to try out the Nioh alpha last week, it was shaping up to be a mix of Ninja Gaiden and Souls.

What ports need forwarding for Dark Souls?

I prefer DS, to me i t seems that DSIII is too tuned for pvp, and as such the single player just sucks, there is so many useless armor and weapons or magic that would only matter in stat calculated builds for pvp,
there is a lot of bonfires what the fuck, remember when seeing a bonfire was a relief after clinging to a chunk of healthbar for what seemed like an eternity?, well not anymore, there is a bonfire in some cases even just 2 rooms away from each other, i think this also is due to one reason, instead of taking time to design more interesting enemies they just made the hard enemies just HP sponges, sure DS in general is full of this but you thought they would at least do a little different this time, i mean they included half a dozen of new enemies but the encounters with them are uncommon

They still haven't learned to not make difficult enemies just annoying to fight.

The black bursty undead faggots you fight are only difficult because they constantly knock you around with very hard to see moves, since they take up so much of the screen with just black.

So people have no reason to fight them normally, they just chuck firebombs or arrow them.

How?

Muh dick though

Exactly, still making the same mistakes and still making new ones.

Like the fucking dogs in DaS2 with the attack that hits before the animation. Or the fucking dogs in 3 that teleport and can strafe through walls.

Their shield bash was gay. It forced you to keep your shield up then punish anything but that attack. Made them the worst enemy in the game. But other than that one Silver Knight attack, that was the worst it got in DS1. It's like they realized the unanimous hate for them, and shared that trait universally through DSII/Bloodbourne.

Which one? the unblockable sword thrust?

It's out now and you can play with friends on steam

nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1047/?

can I use this with pirated version?

You need to install DSFix

disable in-game anti-aliasing, as it will most like cause a visual bug, and instead force anti-aliasing through your graphics card's options

The biggest annoyance for me with the whole Souls series is enemies attacking through walls and through other enemies. I remember it being a problem in Demon's Souls, a massive problem in the Ornstein and Smough fight, and it's still a problem in Dark Souls III. Sometimes it feels like almost deliberate, like with the Irithyll dungeon jailers who you're basically required to kite around a corner out of line of sight, but who will repeatedly stab your straight through that corner.

DSFix has its own builtin anti-aliasing enabled by default. You don't need to force anything.

Well, but by how much?

X2, x4, x8?

When I supersample in my graphics card menu it looks far better than the default

Holy shit I went back to playing this after 80hs in DS3 and this is so slow. I am not sure how I was able to finish playing it.

Well which version?

In any case probably not.

It has 4 levels of SMAA. You can supersample through it too by setting a higher rendering resolution than the display resolution.

THIS

Latest version of the game.

Probably not.

I'll try it out with some buds who have the game on steam to see if it works anyway.

Good to know

That's useful for people who don't have access, or have limited access, to custom settings with their graphics card

I have over 300 hours in DaS1 and they still give me trouble.

I use PW+BDC Ring+Great Combustion/Black Flame.

I mean playing with other pirates. I have a friend with whom I want to play but we both are pirates.

PvPWD didn't warn me so I can only feel horrible for losing to someone who wasn't cheating.

My nig. If only DSfix's unlock of frames didn't break combustion for me I would actually use it. Otherwise I just farm those fucks with Iron Skin instead of PW and use Chaos Storm/Chaos Fireballs while using all this shit you said with the Crown of Dusk.

I'm a faith/dex with maxed pyro fag
I wanted to use Divine and Occult Weapons because they sounded cool

You may have to bight the bullet and just buy a few copies of the game on steam for $12 each. My friend found his for $10. Otherwise the game still holds up strongly without multiplayer. Wish I could help more. But the good news is that a lot of the playerbase is back for 1 because DaS3 came out.

How do you feel about a 170+ SL character?

I unlock the framerate but cap it at 30 so it is always consistent, remember, a chaos weapon does extra damage to demons, also, alternatively, get a divine +10 reinforced club for heavy poise damage.

You need to edit DSFix.ini to unlock the framerate and set the rendering resolution anyway, so you may as well configure all your grafix in just a text file rather than in a text file and your GPU settings

Alternatively, get an absolution, get your miracles and sword, rejoin the covenant (depending on how much you like to get summoned), otherwise is a good pick, I prefer to use the slot for something else, not a fan of using Havel's unless I want heavier armor with fast roll.

I capped it at 30 but no avail. Using combustion make the flame occur inside my hitbox.

That's actually my alternative if I feel like getting the Darkmoon buff actually.

I tried Gravelord Covenant, can't do it since I have to start NG+ again and I'm already on the highest one possible.

That's weird, my combustions go at least 1m in front of me.

Well I force supersampling and upscaling as a global setting in my graphics card so I don't have to go in there to change it but I understand the point you're trying to make

faggots the lot of you. everyone know the best boyz only club is the dark wraiths.

I just wish Kath could eat stuff.

Why are people still playing this game? DaS 2 did the PvP better, and DaS 3 has the better PvE. So why is this game still so full of players on PC? It's dumbfounding why'd you willingly choose to play the inferior PvP.

Who says I am so focused on PvP? I want co-op.

Well co-op is the even more dead than DeS, so that's out of the question.

It's weird how it got even worse after that, like with enemies that do grabs that instead of lunging towards where you faced a moment ago before rolling track around midair as you roll away from their attempts at grabs.

I don't remember a whole lot of attacks that tracked like that in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 and I don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to have so many in Dark Souls 3.

Darkwraiths are decent but offer no decent reward past humanity which is easily farmable and have very little roleplay opportunity.

I just played several co-op matches last night against almost every boss. I don't know what you're on about.

Funny, because I did the same exact thing.

If you want to grasp at straws here and say that the game is alive when it takes 20 minutes to get a summon for co-op, then eat your fucking heart out. Doesn't make my point any less true. The game is dead.

Top 10 bosses in all the souls games.

1 artorias
2 manticore
3 flamelurker
4 abhorrent beast
5 lady maria
6 nameless king
7 ornstein and smough
8 capra demon
9 old hero
10 logarius

I'm not even grasping at straws. I got a summon every 5 or so minutes or so. Even faster in areas such as Anor Lando. I used the waiting time to farm souls in the area while also trying new builds.

Did you even install DSCM and increase your nodes to max?

Otherwise Artorias is pretty solid.

He's sort of the staple boss along with OnS when people say the game is hard. But he's pretty bullshit when you get down to it.

I don't mind him on later playthroughs of course. But that first time essentially was pretty shit.

Did we play the same Demon Souls?False Allant is way better

I smashed him and his puppers in the face with a +5 Great Club I can't one hand with the Magic Weapon spell in about four hits. Admittedly if I was going through stuff blind And without the Master Key I'd probably had to get gud with my +4 Claymore.

I like Capra because Skull helmets are my favorite

His design is good, but the fight is nothing but some gank dogs and a small room compensating for a shit boss with a weak moveset.

I forgot about false allant for some reason. He should be up there too.

I'm at Ornstein and Smough right now

Any tips?

I know about the fire/lightning weaknesses

Use the columns to seperate them. Even the stumps help.

I pirated DS3 finally to try it out.
I think I get 15-20 fps on my GT545. I guess I'll play DS3 in a year or two when I upgrade.

Kill Ornstein first. And they both gain resistance to lightning after you kill one. Smough is weak to bleed if you can do it right and Ornstein is weak to Occult as well.

Try not locking on and see if that helps.

This.

It's a wise choice to wait and buy the goty edition with all the DLC. The game feels like it had tons of content cut, and there's not enough armors and crazy weapons.

Good one. I'll be waiting to pirate the goty edition once I get a new gpu.

If you do lock-on just try to align them both.

red tear stone ring. always red tear stone ring. its the best ring in the game by far.

Nice to see this thread still kicking.

You dumb nigger there's a fuckton of DaS2 lore in DaS3. If not then Where the fuck did the giant tree outside of Firelink come from? Or the Mirrah set? or the Hollowslayer Greatsword which specifically states that it "was given to a Mirrah knight long ago" ?

nigger

I've been finally getting around to finishing up Dark Souls 2 after buying SotFS because DS3 came out and I wanted something fresh in my mind to compare it to when I start it. I really have to say that I think DS2 is a huge improvement over the original.

I'm not sure how much of the issues that people complained about were patched but the combat just feels better in general and everything seems considerably more polished. The areas also seem much more elaborate and visually interesting. The bosses for the most part are disappointing design and difficulty wise, but a greater number are quite fun.

I'm currently at Eleum Loyce as it's the last thing I can do before I consider the game completed. It's probably my favorite area, but I also love winter themes.

But what you've listed is pretty much point for point all of the Dark Souls 2 references, which are just shitty indirect references to the previous game, unlike Dark Souls 1 which has numerous visual areas and locations referenced. Nearly everything else is a "it's like poetry, it rhymes" variant of Dark Souls 1. And replaying Dark Souls 1 after beating Dark Souls 3 makes it more and more apparent.

I mean, Christ, just look at Boreal Valley. Miyazaki decided to rename Painted World and give it a corporeal place in the world's geography.

Boy do I suck at this game, died to the gargoyles like ten times, haven't killed capra demon in the first dungeon. Is it normal for the first time or am I especially bad?

Just because they look human doesn't mean they are. The game implies consistently that the gods (such as Gwyn and the Witch of Izalith) and their most powerful subjects (tall humanoids like Artorias) are NOT human, and consider themselves above humans.

Because vidya. I can't think of any examples of that from the first game, except Rhea of Thorolund. Either way the answer is because vidya.

The flame is only important to the gods. Through the curse that keeps humans undead and the bonfires that compel humans to give them humanity, the gods are able to manipulate humans to keep the fire burning. It makes no difference to man whether the fire keeps burning, humans are being used. Furthermore, the sun and the bonfires are part of the fire; if the fire goes out the sun and bonfires go with it.

1. Because the fire is fading. 2. They're everywhere in the form of hollows and NPCs. 3. They couldn't, that's why everyone you meet in Dark Souls is some kind of powerful warrior, they're the only ones who can survive with their wits intact, at least for a while.

The intro says the undead are corraled into Lordran, and the first segments refer to the legend of the chosen undead which compels people to come to Lordran after death. There are also the people who lived there before shit hit the fan.

I'm only focusing on the first game because it's more consistent than the second, but I know that in DSII it's implied that the cycle of the fire going out and being re-ignited has repeated endlessly from the first game, presumably leading to stagnation.

They're not humans, smartass.

Only in the second game, and indeed there's no excuse for it.

Stupid question; you may just as well ask if Dragon Age takes place on Earth.

They're not, but I already elaborated on this.

Stupid question; the world wasn't always like this.

How can you shoot someone with a gun? The rules of the game world are different from ours. At any rate anyone can do it, so we assume that it's a commonality in that world.

What is the value of 1 piece of paper with some words and a picture on it?

1. The fucking world's ending. 2. In a world where people can take others' souls and use them to gain power, they are obviously more valuable than currency.

Stupid question; you may as well ask why people in LotR eat lembas since it's not real. Obviously they're some kind of magical stones that can be forged into weapons to imbue them with more power.

Demons created from titanite, presumably when the Witch of Izalith's dumb ass created demons. Similar to how the statues at her temple became demons at the same time. For the record she's not human either.

Most of them are hollowed and insane, and as for the others, how much have you to say to someone with whom you are engaged in mortal combat?

Because vidya.

Hollows are insane and crave souls, animals are wild and want to eat you and possibly consume your souls. There are other examples like Quelaag who kills people so she can take their humanity and feed it to her sister to strengthen her.

Being hollow and being Hollow are two different things. If you have the will left to seek out humanity and return yourself to life, you aren't completely Hollow. If the endless cycle of traumatic death and struggle for rebirth has overcome you (as in the NPCs when they have lost their purpose), you lose your mind and become fully Hollow. DSII attempted to simulate this process better, but in gameplay terms the only way to go full Hollow is to give up and quit playing the game.

Are you the sort of person who believes your first assumption is always correct? Perhaps your interpretation is wrong. Maybe everybody is acting like the fire is magical because it is. Maybe they're worried about it going out because it's different from the fire in a torch or even the fire in the Demon Ruins.

I've got the same opinion. I think it was mostly all the hype preceding DS II that made anons think that it was going to be as amazing as the first time they played DS I. I also love bonfire ascetics and how you can fight an improved version of a boss, or get two items that normally you'd get only once per run.
Fuck soul memory though

How do I get more uses out of my magic here?
Is there any way to replenish in the field without having to go to a bonfire?

Sadly not.

So the name of the game is to just get more spells and rotate through then?

Yes, eventually adding more attunement slots and getting multiple copies of the best ones is what works best, Great Combustion and Great Fireball are some.

I know it's not DS1 but I'm trying to play Demon's but can't connect and the servers should still be up. Playing on PS3

normal

The week Dark Souls III came out in Japan I did a quick playthrough of all the games (including III) that week. My problem with 1 however is that I never actually finish it anymore. I get up to the point where I'm supposed to do Bed of Chaos and stop because I'd rather do anything else in the world than fucking BoC.

Definitely. Soul memory is unforgiveable and ruins the multiplayer aspect of the game. I was invaded once in my current playthrough inside of shulva right after I missed a ledge and died, summoned all of two players one of which lagged out and the other just instantly died, and didn't get summoned even once after about 80 hrs of playing. Of course that all might be partially explained by the fact that DS2 is probably mostly dead, but I'll blame SM since I'm at like 4mil but only SL 160

meeting and old meme for the first time.

Yeah I bet you're mad, shill. You didn't get a sale out of me, go tell your employers.

Another question about the magic in this game.
Is there a way to increase range or speed of throwing a fireball?

Because right now the range fucking sucks and it takes forever to throw so by the time you throw it the enemy is right on top of you.

Improve your dex. Also helps to have melee weapon to compliment your magic. And a nice catalyst scales with it.

wjolnir's crown refers to the DLCs and the shield of want trash talks vendrick.

did you even play the game, nigger?

Just gotta git guud with free throwing fireballs. It's definitely a skill to have that can be employed throughout all three darksoul games.

As well; if you're playing a mage you can actually aim your shots if you use the binoculars. Works in all darksoulsgames and pretty much is the only thing that makes magic bearable imo.

Oh right. Dex increases cast speed but I wouldn't recommend it generally. INT or Faith + high dex is a formula for a trashy build usually.

You know. I loved how you're meeting the LEGENDS in the flesh in darksouls 1.

Like these guys are the fucking bizz man. Fucking neato, the witches of izalith, solair big hat logan, gwyn and so on. Sure they're all dying husks more or less but damn.

Then darksouls 2&3 just feel like too much of a wankfest about the previous games and how epic things were.

reminder that every dark souls game is 6/10 and no more or less

Reminder that opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and all they do is spew a lot of shit.

shall i defend it? because i don't give two shits what your faggot wrong opinion is

That makes a good point. You know, if I lost my memory I'd definitely play the games in regressing order, I bet it would be pretty fun.

so no? you're not ready to get your asshole blown out?

okay so like i was saying every dark souls game is a 6/10 and if you think the one you like is the best you're a fucking retard

Oh come on, Dark Souls 1 is at least a 7/10

it has a shit tier second half and half of the covenants don't do anything and the consumable items are fucking worthless and the boss balance is terrible and pvp is arguably the worst in the series
there are builds that are objectively correct or incorrect
if you think that makes it better than a 6 then you get to defend it now

Feels like they came out yesterday.
Where does the time go?

Down your asshole, Dark Souls is mediocre and Demon's and Bloodborne are only halfway good because they escaped Namco's jewery.

Sorry you didn't have fun user. I'd take you seriously if you came in here without sounding like a buttangry faggot.

Ehh, Depths, Catacombs and Archive (but not crystal caves) are alright. It has its flaws but the positives outweigh the negatives to a 7/10 level, most certainly.

DEX past 35 begins to increase casting speed for offensive spells, not recommended for anything other than DEX and INT/FAI+DEX hybrids if you ask me.

Speaking of catalysts, going out of your way on a sorcerer's build you can kick ass at INT 14 more or less if you decide to take on the hydra, the yellow golem and buy an Oolacile Ivory Catalyst that has fixed adjust but is pretty much the best until you level up enough to get the most of other catalysts.

I hate how the swords of Artorias and other trinkets require 20 INT + 20 FAI, is stupid.

defend your position instead of being even more upset than you perceive me to be

fuck off faggot, a level where enemies respawn infinitely or you get to the boss in less than a minute is shit tier level design, no one enjoys that, they just take the shortcut because what the fuck why would you not

pleb tier
Strength still gets the job done for PvE and is buckets of fun, but I can't really speak of PvP because I only ever played the game on Xbox.
I think dogshit is a bit of an overstatement.
You are entitled to your opinion, but considering all the game does right, I think you're being far too harsh.

Nothing's better than going human and realizing you've been dressing like a complete slut this whole time.

nigger i beat dark souls 1 naked with a dragon greatsword because i didn't know any better
all three games do shit right
all three games also do shit laughably wrong

However, it kills the boner when you like legs and you are hollow.

Goddamn shame that most of the online PvP for this game is dead. I just tried to invade at all the popular PvP spots, including the forest, and got nothing.

I wanted to 1shot people with my parry build, too ;_;

why do you want to play the worst pvp in the series
play dark souls 2 if you want good pvp

Does anyone wanna play DS3 with me? I've done about all there is to do and other than run through with a co op buddy im out of ideas.

Post your steam id and i'll shoot you a thingie.

I'd like poise to work thanks

soul memory is a million times better than half the shit in the game being worthless

Parry on PvP? good luck, you will get backstabbed before you begin the riposte animation.

The dueling covenant ignores soul memory and you can be matched with anyone in the same NG.

Fucking hell.

Fucking heaven.

Has enemies ignoring world geometry been fixed in any of the games?

it's worse in 3 than ever

Why would you play a DS1 when DS2 is superior in almost every way? (other than muh atmosphere, thanks fallout3fags)

Is this a serious post?

probably because all 3 are equally slightly above average, depending on what you're looking for

you're a fucking faggot memer if you think 1 is actually better than 2
2 is better in every way but lore

youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

please fuck off and die

formulate your own thoughts, cocksucker

try being less obvious next time, retard. filtered :^)

I mean, that video is nice and all, but it doesn't change the fact that Dark Souls 2's gameplay is far superior to Dark Souls 1's. And that's why you play games. For the gameplay. Not because the text in the item descriptions is better (Lmao)

It isn't even worse. That one fucking faggot just says it is so all the retards around here started parroting him.

Wow excellent rebuttal let's all applaud this master of debate

How are you meant to dodge Smoug's charge attack.
I don't get it.
Every time I roll he still hits me with one or both hits. I can't exactly block it either.
Is there some trick here

dodge towards him

How many of those semi-giant enemies can be parried?

Walk backwards and dodge to the opposite side of his attack.

I'll wait for someone else's advice thanks.

okay lol good luck getting better advice than someone who played 2000 hours of shit tier pvp and wasted a year of their life doing it
dodge away the faggot, like you were doing
enjoy losing

Oh my apologies mister xXDarkMLGSoulsXx, I didn't realize I was talking to a PvP pro. I shall learn to be humble now that you have flaunted your playtime as credibility.

But I think Dark Souls need someone of your experience! Go at once! I'll stay behind and shitpost for you!

keep playing how you were since that was working so great for you
you just asked for advice to be a dickhead, right?
go on, keep losing

how can someone be so mad over someone else's game preference?

are you American?

I would show you with a video if I had one, but you could stop the banter and read other posts.

my favorite part about you saying that is that i'm assuming both myself, and him are american, and i actually tried to help him, and he'll blindly ignore the best advice in the thread because he's a fucking souls faggot
the funniest part is that i'm a way bigger souls faggot than anyone else in this thread, but i'm not a fucking sheep who thinks 1 did no wrong
he should dodge into the attack but he won't because i've played the series too much
and now even if he does dodge into the attack and succeed because of it he'll know it's only because a person he hates for no reason told him to

user, he came in here to troll. How is that not obvious?

I read your post nigga. I haven't got a chance to try it yet. Maybe in an hour or so I'll get the chance. But I have a feeling I'm going to have to switch out to lighter gear for the rolling regardless, which is something I felt like the entire time but didn't really want to do.

It's counter-intuitive, but it's better to dodge into most attacks in general. Lots of shit will follow you long enough to still take the hit, particularly in 2 with the crazy ass agility.

Ok so what i'm gathering from this and trying to piece all this shit together is that there are living people and only a certain amount of them become undead. Once undead you get tossed into that undead asylum. I presume by other living people or maybe you just wander there, who knows?

Also while in that land the time shifts and goes crazy because everything is fucked and the fabric of reality is crumbling.

Who gives a fuck, it's a five year old game, there's nothing new to discuss.

100% correct
so many attacks in the series have stupid amounts of autocorrect and the way to defeat that is to get point blank
but he'll say i'm wrong because muh soul memory
i bet that niggertit hasn't even played dark souls 2

The way I dodge Smough is viable with medium roll, you just need more accuracy due to the frames.

I could recommend VaatiVidya's Prepare to Cry videos.

dude if you want to learn lore you need to read every item description yourself and not talk to other people about it
the story heavily relies on your own inferrence and you shouldn't let other people color your beliefs about the story
once you think you know what's up, defend yourself online

I'm wearing black knight armour and a shield. I'm heavy as fuck.
Do any stats counter-act weight?

Endurance increases your max load, are you using Havel's ring?

I'd rather get the mass opinions about the lore here. See, my biggest problem has always trying to figure out the motives for all this shit or just exactly where the undead come from.

Because in 1 it seems like you're dumped there.
in 2 its implied that you were some dude that became undead and thus wandered your way to Lorthric or whatever because when you're undead I guess you just get called there.
in 3 you are awoken because shit is getting shittier.

See, in one and 2 the world being populated by the undead seems to make more sense. Why the majority is "Hollow" because you presumably have a land where the undead have been there kicking around for a long long time.

But in 3, what? Why? Because you're clearly called to rise out of your grave…did that happen to all the other undead?
But then come to think of it, a good amount of the enemies don't seem to exactly be human.

One of the stats, endurance I think, gives you more equip weight, otherwise ditch a ring and stick havel's ring in it's spot.

In DaS1 you are one of many, you are not special, you just decide to do what others have failed to do.

this is false
no one else has a darksign

Every undead has a darksign.

Don't have havel's ring.
I know endurance allows you to equip more, but does that make it so other equipment is 'lighter' to equip. I mean, your rolls get longer, your runspeed gets better etc.

Yeah, I thought that was the point. That people who are to become undead get the darksign on them.

I was under the impression that not every human that dies becomes undead.

not all humans are undead

however any other undead can hollow
you never can ever no matter what
your character is special

Your movement speed and rolls are better up to 25% of your total load, it becomes slower at 50% and clunkier at 75%, at full load you can't even roll.

This hobby is suffering.

I always interpreted hollowing as the player putting down the game and "giving up". :^)

Nothing changes what any one piece costs to equip, but there are thresholds in your equip percentage that make it so you run faster, roll longer, etc.

I think in one, the thresholds are are 0, 25, and 50 percent, but I could be remembering wrong.

So it could be that taking off your gloves will put you under 50 percent, and you can roll better. You'll need to play around and see what you can wear and still roll well.

probably because dark souls 3 is exactly as good as the other 2 but more expensive
maybe you should've learned your lesson about buying early years ago

cool story bro
tell it to vaati

The only non-undead character in 1 so far seems to be Sieglinde of Catarina, the rest of the "sane" NPCs are undead as far as we know, apparently no other human would go to Lordran under any circumstances.

Alright thanks. Maybe I have to grind or something. Is there any sort of rough measurement for what level I should be going in level-wise for S&O?

what is rage quitting, alex.

That's the official way of your character going hollow actually.

Well why the fuck would they?

Depends on your builds, unfortunately, but anywhere around 40 or 50 should be fine.

That said, if you did something like level resistance, you may find 60 to be more appropriate, but really, your equipment is more important than your stats.

They're a fairly easy boss once you get the hang of it, even at a lower level.

Exactly.

And that's also a character that doesn't hollow.

Show me where the plot even infers that. I'm not one of these faggots that's gonna argue that no one explicitly says that, but also, I played fucking plenty of Dark Souls 1 and I can assert that the story never, ever infers anything about the main character hollowing under any circumstance, because he has a darksign and is immune to it.

I put 2 points into attunement because I'm a retard and am allowed to make first-time mistakes but otherwise have stuck to Strength, Dexterity, Endurance and Vitality.

My gargoyles halberd was +10 before I turned it into lightning, and now its +4.
My various black iron pieces are between 1+ to +4.

my friend I don't think saying that you should roll into an enemy is trolling

if his ds2>ds1 posts were trolling, so what? why would you respond differently to someone based on their post history? that's reddit talk

every character should get enough attunement slots for power within and black flame
you have no reason not to

You can always post your build faggot.

i was exaggerating before, i don't think 2 is better than 1
all three are very slightly above average because development got ultracucked in some way

Then why do we have ID's? :^)

Gargoyle halberd is a great choice for a weapon, If I were you, I'd put it back to +10, then eventually +15, but it will work either way.

You should be fine as far as equipment goes, try to get yourself down to at least a mid-roll and keep at it, you'll get better at judging their attacks.

Because she isn't undead of course, as for hollowing by rage quitting, that's meta, like the stuff Hideo Kojima does but less stupid.

Not to mention even Crestfallen mentions that you are not the first one to try, in the end at least within DaS1 context, the Choosen Undead just happens to be the one with the will to not give up (that is, the player that finishes the game despite dying over and over again)

because the admin is a redditor

you're the chosen undead because you're the undead that was chosen by the giant crow to be taken to firelink
gosh i wonder why the giant crow would just pick some random asshole
it couldn't be because of their immunity to hollowing or anything

I just assume it's so we can have coherent conversations in each thread. I don't mind it so long as it doesn't lead to namefagging.

Also sage for meta-posting.

Why do people praise Demon Souls so fucking much?I played it quite a bit and while I liked it, the bad parts sucked really hard
Now, it does some really good things though, although not as many as the bad
Overall, the only reason why I'd rank it above DS2 is because DS2 is forgettable as fuck(only bosses I remember are the 3 sentinels thing, giant dragon of bullshit and the flaming armor guy)

yes and a coherent conversation doesn't involve shitting the thread because the person responding to you is a poopy head

I fell in love with stupidly impractical looking weapons and currently have my eyes set on the Black Knight Axe, but its too fucking heavy.

Anyway, onto attempt 8 for the day. 1 attempt killed Smoug, 2 attempts killed Ornstein so far.

But all three of them are free.

demon's souls was the best because the community was different then and everyone wasn't a fuckingMLGpro fagmouth about everything
you could post about how you struggled with something, and people would empathize, rather than be sandy vaginas about everything
when you found something new it was a big deal because streamers didn't have the game two months early and LOL their way through everything
demon's was good because it was a different environment
if you read about the tropes of the series and are aware of the hostile community, it won't have nearly the weight it should

I used the BKGA for a playthrough when I managed to get it to drop really early, it's fairly fast for such a heavy weapon and also quite fun to clobber things with. Another good choice.

the circumstances of character's hollowing tends to cause by a loss of drive or hope, whether from failure to achieve their goal or achieving it only to find it worthless.
basically whether you get walled by a boss or find out sorcery is utter shit in DS3.

I don't give a flying fuck about anything that's not gameplay my man.
I don't care about the community, since I don't have to interact with them besides in fights or coop which have no dialogue anyways, and I don't care about people who spoiled themselves on their first playthrough because I didn't.

Speaking of builds, mine here, NG+ going past Lv120 because fuck PvP.

Because you happened to be the one who got out of the Asylum, you are not immune to hollowing, you are just strong-willed, remember, you go hollow when you lose the will to keep going.

they say that about regular undead
you lose all your souls hundreds of times daily and don't give a single shit
the fact that some fuckboys give up is irrelevant to the plot
YOU are special, the serpents tell you as much

And I don't give a flying fuck about what you care about, cumbreath.
You asked why people like Demon's Souls, and I told you. The community made it even better than what it was, because the game felt like a group effort.

You are not the only one who happened to get out of the asylum, what the fuck do you think every other undead character did?

That's exactly what I have been trying to tell you, the only different is how far you get.

The serpents are manipulative… sounds meta but it looks like you fell for their lies.

But this is fucking retarded you faggot.
Are you gonna say that the PC port ruined Dark Souls too?

"good goy" is all i have for you.

A serpent also told Dusk of Oolacile to go down there and mess with the Abyss, go figure.

Cainhurst is more like Ariamas.

It seems like the gods in Lordran basically used the Painted World to dump whatever threatened them.

if what i saw leaked from DS3 development was true apparently they're all heads of a single hydratic monster.

yeah that, the nose, and their modernishremember time is so fucked reality is collapsing religious significance and its not even subtle that they're a reference to the jews.

then again this is the company that made patches and micolash who look like sundowner's twin brothers.
and all of them do that fucking smile that perfectly expresses smug arrogance.

Then just ignore the posts. And ignore the shitposter a well.

Seriously self moderation is best moderation. Ignoring shitposters is the only winning move since they would just bitch if we banned them. If anything the ID's help because we can tell it's just 1 fuckwit who's making a clear attempt to shit up the thread.

If you trail that guys posts, you'll notice its probably more like two

I only came here to post this

Christ I nearly forgot about this. It just reminds me of how late I was to the DaS hype and how shit DaS2 was honestly.

It's a great song. Not sure if it being connected to Dark Souls makes it better or not. Probably wouldn't carry the air of getting ready to smash a beast

Dark souls didn't get much advertisement, but the stuff it did have was great.

Alright, new question.
What the fuck do you do about Smoug's lightning slam? Whenever I hit he immediately follows up with that. I've tried blocking, rolling and running, but nothing gets me far enough away that it stops do 1/2-1/3 of my HP in a single hit.

get good and stop asking advice for every little thing you fucking bitch

But that won't help anybody.

Butt slam?
I've no idea man, that thing just has enormous range, you can't really escape unless you get lucky or use your iframes just right.
My suggestion is to kill Smoug first.

Again, you're just listing item lore descriptions. There's nothing on the scale of references that Dark Souls 1 got in the game.

Those things seem like a drop compared to the enormous tidal wave of "HEY, REMEMBER THIS?!" by having to obtain a small doll to enter a snowy world located right next to Anor Londo.

Equip light armor and fast roll. I evade it all the time.

I love videos like this

That.

The only hard part about O&S (if you aren't just gaping their shitpussies with pyromancy) is when they're both up, and Ornsteinburg is constantly dashing through Smough and poking you.

Are there really people who play DaS with anything other than a fast-roll setup?

I can kill Smough, no problem

However I have issues doing enough damage to Ornstein after

"Fuckton" was hyperbolic I admit, but the point was that this definitely doesn't take place chronologically between 1 and 2; and saying otherwise is misleading.

smough has less health than ornstien so most beat him first, super ornstien is better for tanks if that's what build you're rocking

Farm up an SKS and use the standard GIANT HUMANOID CASTRATION STRATEGY of just sitting directly under him and poking him in the dick, and 2x roll away when he leaps up for the lightning stab.

Tank builds work well if you can keep it under 50% weight load and mid roll. It's certainly not viable for a lot of bosses though.

Smough is easier to kill during the first Phase but Ornstein is by far harder than Smoughs second phase. It's up to you to decide I guess.

what's that pic from?

Also the key to fucking every boss in Dark Souls is Stability. Stack that you'll be good.

System update?

one note is the BKGA got nerfed a bit in one of the patches i remember, its a little weak for the weight and stats but it still has a pretty good moveset and range. I remember swapping to the BKUGS after the nerf, but I love both weapons.

BKH is the only good BK weapon, fight me nigger :^)

I forgot to mention the BKH. I've done entire runs using that weapon by taking a new character and fighting the halberd BK there, remaking till I get it. Oh the memories…

It got a bit of a damage nerf in 3 though, but I also think it had its weight reduced. Too lazy to check.

I also loved the stupid swag from the R2s on the weapons, and the knockback/knockdown/up they do if you land with them, even if they are impractical as hell sometimes. Glad they were made better in 3.

Holy shit. You are retarded and no nothing about dark souls. Every undead has the dark sign. Hollowing happens when you give up or lose purpose. The meta explanation for when you quit the game is your character goes hollow.

Considering it has 15% more AR over a straight sword at 40/40 and poise doesn't even work, I'd say it got sledgehammered.

Yeah it only really has the range advantage, and the R1 into L2 combo for pvp only, and… that's about it. More a problem with straight swords AR than anything though. Heavy weapons don't do enough compared to some of the faster stuff, or the faster stuff does too much.

If only they realized that 2 did SOME things right, and just mixed the good of 1 and 2, but oh well.

Forgot to sage and get dubs famerino. :^)

I never get dubs :(

Because Dark Souls 2 is trash, and makes no sense anyway. All the characters in the first game move about the place realistically.

The “world” is falling apart because Lordran was hit hardest by the undead curse, compared to Astora or Berenike. If you’re talking about Drangleic, no-one ever lived there because the place was designed by retards.

Because in Dark Souls 2, the B-team decided to go for the “muh cycles” trope and shit on the whole of the lore from the first game.

areyouseriousnigger.png

Dark Souls 2, that’s why.

What? Why the fuck does this matter?

Who the fuck do you think built Anor Londo? Does that look like a human civilisation to you?

Because what they ruled is gone, dickhead.

Why the fuck does it matter? Do you bitch that Doom Guy can carry an arsenal on him at all times, too?

What’s the intrinsic value of a bank note?

Because souls can be used to make yourself stronger, and keep you from going hollow.

A magical material born of the unnamed blacksmith god’s passing away.

Demons born of the titanite slabs that belonged to the unnamed blacksmith god.
Because they’re either hollow, insane, or not actually human.

Because if they inhabit the same place, chances are they’re fine with each other.

Because they’re either guarding something, insane, greedy, beasts, or hollow.

It has a tricky timing. What i did was once i see the fucker going for it, de-lock the camera and run away as far as i can, and when he slams, jump and roll.

But seriously, that fucking attack is bullshit.

I've taken some anons advice, found Havel's Ring (Havel had it!) and now am rocking half-weight mobility so I should be able to get away from it a lot better now.

If that fails, I'll kill Smoug first and switch from a Lightning Halberd +3 to a Halberd +10. Or should I also be doing that against super-Smoug?

DS3 happens way after DS2 events. There are countless proofs of that, do your research.

While I don't think that DS1 turns to shit in the second half (there's what, demon ruins and lost izalith that suck balls? And this is it, everything else is great or good at least), DS3 brings some terrific level design all around the entire game. Lothric Castle is just as awesome as the Cathedral of deep, Irithyll and Archdragon peak are stunning and the Grand Archives definitely shit on the Dukes Archives of DS1. The verticality of those levels and the design overall is simply the best in the entire souls series. Even Smouldering lake rock caves are pretty cool to explore and the catacombs of DS3 feel much better than the catacombs of DS1.
I know, farron keep is mediocre but it's not that terrible with a dagger to navigate.

I played several times through DS1, it's one of those rare games that feels good to play again. Ds2 was nothing like that but with DS3, the first thing I did after finishing was jumping to NG+

HEY DID YOU KNOW THAT DARK SOULS IS ABOUT FUCKING YOUR MOTHER?

(2/4)

(3/4)

I can't finish watching this.

(4/4)

How fucked up do you have to be that you play Dark Souls and you literally can't stop thinking about dicks, vaginas and birth? Someone tell this faggot to get a therapist

I take it back, don't get him a therapist. This guy is hilarious.

Just stand between his legs and poke him until he stops moving.

The moment the 4 kings notice you are slow they will spam life drain to no end.

Inb4 he refuses to accept meta explanations when the game clearly goes meta a lot of the time (Hawkeye Gough's dialogue about dragons)

Vaati more or less made sense of DaS2, but still by his analysis it is pretty much separated from DaS1 in terms of purpose.

Mid rolling is enough to get away from Lifedrain when you notice it. And if you're build is tankey enough you can live through it and just estus up and keep hitting them. I've never had them use Lifedrain on me more than 4 times in a single fight.

Lets see if this still bumps.

I met this fellow.

He gives me a bad feeling.

Aww shit nigger, that's your best friend right there. He kills bitches and doesn't give a fuck about anything.

he laughs. He's a jolly guy!

So uhm…one thing. This thread won't bump anymore. I guess new general?

I guess, post the link.