Bloodborne General

because why the fuck not?

Lets try to pin down the lore of the game and basically everything else going with it.
This isn't a Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls thread.
This is a thread about lore and gameplay.

I'm currently playing it now so I'll be posting screenshots as I get them.

First thing is first:
Who the fuck is the player character and why are they doing what they do in the city?
How long has "The Hunt" been going on and why does it seem like, according to the Hunter's dream, that Hunters are all fucking gone anyway?
What exactly is a Hunter?
And if the ramblings in the Hunter's Dream are to be believed, is it possible no true hunters have been around for a long time?

One thing I will say is that when the little mobs in the beginning of the game come to fight you, they tell you "DIE BEAST" so what is all that about?

Do they see you as a beast while you're normal? Or are you the bad guy, Ender?

You must be mad OP but I wish you luck anyway.

I don't want to guess about the lore too much since I haven't explored every area yet and have only gotten the second ending so far though i'm going for the third one now. From what I can tell so far about the hunt, there are "hunters" and then there are Hunters.
I think that because of the diesease spreading throughout Yharnam turning people into beasts the church would reguarly spend night hunting them down to get rid of them. However church hunters are just normal humans who are hunting beasts while a dream hunter or hunter sustained by the dream like you are more of a supernatural entity. Your still a human physically but you are caught up with Gehrman and the hunters dream which seems to be supernatural in nature and therefore likely related to the great ones in some way. I'm pretty sure the third ending is going to clear most of this up though when I eventually finish it.

I think they are just people who have started to turn into beasts and are going mad, if you look at them you can see them mutating to grow hair and claws. In the first area you can see they have hung up and burnt beasts so I think they were just citizens out with the intention of hunting beasts who have started to turn themselves and see anyone else as a beast.

So basically you're the first fresh blood in a LONG time and so you're the perfect person to come in and fix everything. Or at least so everyone hopes, right?

I get this feeling that in this world, people all eventually got their blood tainted and that while they still went through the motions, they're all beyond fucked. sort of like Bioshock.
And this new fresh blood is basically what is going to come in and save everybody.

But considering there is this transfusion at the beginning, it feels like even you, as the new blood, gets tainted because of all these fucking traditions. They only know how to make new hunters and don't realize why the old ones failed ultimately.

well i dont no much about the lore
but im up to the three stooges and im up to my 15th death cus im unco as shit
ill get there one day

What is the Hunter's Dream?

Is it a real place?
i"ve noticed when you don't have insight the doll isn't up and talking..

The lore of BB isn't that hard, i mean the game doesn't literally give you a guy that explains everything like other RPGs, but it's not as hidden as souls games.
We can easily lay down the events one after the other:

1-In ancient times, a race known as the Pthumerians was tasked by the Great Ones, lovecraftian otherworldy creatures, to guard the huge labiryinths (the Chalice Dungeons) serving as their homes/tombs/wahtever.

2-They started out as just guardians but became corrupt and evil, started using for power and using the old blood of the Great Ones for their own gain, Queen Yharnam was apparently especially cruel during her reign.

3-Master Willem and Laurence find the Chalice Dungeons under Byrgenwerth, and they start sending in people to explore it, they are scholars of the Institute, a group dedicated to learning and research.

4-They find the Great Ones down there, and their blood, the blood of the Great Ones has a number of properties, it can heal wounds and cure diseases and make you stronger and so on.

5-Willem and Laurence both think they're on the verge of unlocking the hidden potential within humanity and evolve to the next stage of human evolution into something greater, but they disagree on what path to take, Laurence wants to use the blood of the Old Ones, while Willem wants to line mankind brain with eyes and explore insight.

6-The two part ways, Willem remains with the Institute, while Laurence starts the Church, a group dedicated to study and use the blood.

6-Willem focuses his research on lining the brain with eyes and insight, on his own, surrounded by loyal students.

7-Laurence focuses his research on using the blood, and the church slowly starts becoming huge because they're an organization that now posseses an all-healing substance that can cure most illnesses.

8-Yharnam, the city, becomes rich and famous because the Church is there, the Church now controls pratically everything and it's huge.

9-Using the blood starts having side effects, people start to become sick after abusing it.

10-People that got sick starts turning into fucking beasts, the Church starts recruiting people to hunt down the beasts, these are called Hunters, one of the first hunters is Gehrman, and his pupil, Maria.

11-Old Yharnam is burnt down to stop the spreading of the sickness.

12-At some point, i don't know when exactly so i'm gonna just put it here in the timeline, the Church finds a fishing village, and near that village they find a Great One, they do SOMETHING to that Great One, it's not clear what, something concerning her child, the Church used the earliest hunters to do this, including Maria, and the entire village becomes cursed, so are all the hunters that die after becoming frenzied abusing the blood during their hunts, Maria is disgusted by whatever they had to do back there, and kills herself.

13-Laurence goes missing, either in the dungeon or somewhere else.

14-The Church is now it's own entity completely and it actually starts another branch that thinks Willem was right, about lining your brain with eyes and exploring insight, however they use inhumane methods (and the blood) to research it, apparently Maria herself was either working with the earliest experiments done by this branch, or just acting as a caretaker for these experiments, either way this branch eventually becomes the Choir.

15-The Choir experiments pay off and they manage to transform people into alien looking things, the closest thing to a "next stage of evolution" for mankind.

From this point onwards i can't pinpoint the timeline anymore and i'm just able to feed you random things that happen here and there:

-Yahar'gul has it's own thing going on, with people doing strange rituals to make a new Great One from a bunch of corpses or something.

-At some point certain students from Byrgenwerth manage to explore nightmares to make contact with Great Ones, they live inside the nightmares and create structures there, they continue their research there and shit, they also managed to actually make contact with multiple Great Ones that live in the nightmare.

-Gehrman had a crush on Maria and made a doll in her image, Maria had no idea of any of this.

-"The night of the hunt" seems to be a recurring event where a specific hunter is called by some will (the will of a Great One perhaps?) to hunt specific stuff when shit gets too out of hand, they can't die and find themselves trapped in a nightmare until they serve their purpose, Gehrman acts as a guide and is permanently stuck in the nightmare forever, along with a living version of the doll he made that acts as a caretaker.

-The entire game is probably in a set of layers of nightmares and you never actually visit the real world during the night of the hunt itself, but it's not just a "it was all a dream" scenario because in this universe when shit happens in nightmares, it also affects the real world, and you can obtain and carry out items from nightmares and be affected by them in various ways, they're just as concrete and real as normal reality itself.

I don't think your the only dreaming hunter in a long while. It sounds like plenty of other hunters used to dream but for whatever reason they eventually stop dreaming. Eileen the crow and Djura both used to dream and since I assume this isn't like Dark souls where everyone is undead and doesn't age they must have been dreaming somewhat recently. I'm not sure how old things like Gehrman and the healing church are but I assume they have been around for a couple of generations at least since the church seems pretty well established in Yharnam.

As for the everyone turning into beasts I believe it's because of the healing churchs blood ministration. Everyone shares their blood with each other so any kinda of bloodbourne disease could easily infect the entire population especially with the fact that they seem to not realize it's spreading through blood and keep doing it anyway.

I'm not completely sure about this but given what Alfred tells you about the origin of the healing church it sounds like some Bygernwerth scholars were exploring the catacombs which are filled with relics of the great ones and found some blood or method of altering blood there. Whatever they found it was what started the art of blood ministration but some of Bygernwerth didn't like the idea of this so they left and formed the healing churchand I assume the school of Mensis. I believe blood ministration is somehow related to the great one Oedon since his runes talk about his obession with blood and the fact his name is used for parts of the city like the graveyard and cathedral. I assume they found something related to him in the catacombs and used that to research blood ministration and experiment with new types of blood. Yharnamites accepted this easily due to blood ministration seeming like a miraclee cure all for most dieseases and it became a tradition of Yharnam that they were known for.

The problem arose when some blood started turning people into beasts. The church hunted these down to assumedly stop them from spreading the dieseaseor just eating everyone but it still continued to spread. One of the areas I haven't explored yet is the upper cathedral ward but i'm planning to do that today and that should hopefully shed some light on the relation between the healing church and school of Mensis. I assume they were related but started to drift apart as the school of Mensis lost interest in blood ministration and focused more on trying to contact the great ones.

I think i've got a general idea of what happened for the most part, the only thing i'm not very sure of is how the hunters dream fits into everything. I assume the great one I saw in the second ending after fighting Gehrman is what made the dream but I still don't know why.

This guy has summed it up better than me but i'm glad to see I was mostly right in my assumptions. It's true the lore is a lot more concrete than Dark souls which is kinda nice.

I assume the doll is animated by a great one or some other eldritch power so it would make sense that she is as inanimate as the one in the old workshop when you have no insight.

The shadows of Yharam? Keep an eye on the one that casts fireballs so you can dodge them but focus on killing the melee ones first. The one with a candle will usually keep his distance a bit while the one with just a sword will charge in. Try to use the enviroment as cover to block the ranged ones spells and focus on killing the melee ones first, I usually use hit and run tactics to wear them down. After you have killed two of them the final one powers up, the caster will start using some bullshit spell that calls up giants snakes which is annoying to dodge but doable if you sprint away from them and just hit and run so you can focus on getting away from the snakes. If that doesn't work and you are willing to accept failure and your defeat at their handslike I had to with Ludwig then use the insight bell to call someone in. You get the co-op rune in that area so there are usually people trying to co-op there.

The way I see it, depending on the ending you choose you are caught in a loop.

You are Gerhman, You are trained by Gerhman, You Kill Gerhman, You become Gerhman.

All the graves are alternate versions of you.

The only way to end this cycle is to choose to end the nightmare.

It's worth noting that regardless of what ending you choose, every time you start NG+ there's a little spot on the right where a grave will be added each time.
And the first time you enter the hunter's dream in each NG+ the doll will be found praying there.
I don't know it this means the whole process never actually ends but it's probably best not to read into it too much and just assume it's a little thing put there for the sake of making NG+ feels fancier and it probably doesn't play into the story.

So it's EYE all over again

hey ill give the stooges another go sometime tomorrow or something
gona wind my way into it

There's a trick to the fight.
If you kill the guy with the sword, and the guy that shoots fireballs, and leave the last one alive, he'll try to summon the bullshit snake entities.
However get this: in that phase his AI is actually bugged.
All you have to do is get up in his face immediately and keep hitting him, he'll dodge to the side and try to cast again, and again, you can keep doing this until he's dead, just mash R1.
I always use this method when dealing with them, it makes things much easier because during the fight i only have to deal with 2 of them and the last one might as well not exist.

hmmmmmmmmm
heard about this but havnt tried it
will post results if thread still up tomorrow
cheers mate

Serious question

Who actually gives a fuck about the plot of Souls games?

The games' approach to story is so minimal it might as well not be there at all. If the devs will not invest effort in conveying a coherent plot to the player, why should the player care about the plot at all?

It's not like the story ever matters anyway. It's always "everyone's dead, shit's fucked" except when it's being so vague it's completely incomprehensible, so why care? Just play the game and kill things and wear fashionable clothing, that's all there truly is to it.

Does everyone of you ever bought an account with games?
Bought this shit from plati.ru but i can't fucking find the game nor how to download it.
I'll repay the help with thousands of animu grill

mate
enjoy ur bitcoin mining virus imbeded in ur pc
secondly i have no idea about this, i assume that uv googled and shit so i supose contact sony and pretend to original owner

Scanned with antivirus and Malwarebyes don't seem to have shit,but now i'm paranoid.And yes i tried to google it but most is in russian and i can't speak it.Or probably i fucked up something.Thought i'll ask her,maybe find a russian who can help.

Yes.

Help.

Bro, either pirate or buy legitimate. Don't buy from .ru or anything weird as fuck.

Seriously. Stop being such a fucking hipster.

I feel like i'm being mocked

Ps4 isn't hacked yet.
It's fucking 50 euro for a more than a year old game,But it's what i'll probably do, i thought i'll try it at least once since the price was shit.

greenmangaming

or something

holy fuck. Did you ever think you could buy a PS4 game off of some black market? PC sure, but seriously, PS4?

What kind of idiot are you?

holy fuck not even aus is that cucked
i got mine for like 39ausdol

In my defense it worked before even if the seller was Spanish

Italy is a shitty place with too much taxes.Is the DLC even worthy?

The DLC is a proper expansion and easily the best addition to any of the Souls games.

Sales tax 21% this country's government spends obscene amounts of money.

But at least games have been capped at €60.

Too bad few games are worth that much. No wonder MS wanted to kill used games.

DLC gives you a giant buzzsaw pizza cutter and a hammer that explodes and the Moonlight Greatsword.

wat these anons said

All right,i'll probably pick up the goty and call it a day.Thanks people

If you have trouble with the first DLC boss, just remember that it caused DSP to ragequit Bloodborne indefinitely after ~6 hours of him failing over and over at him.
It will get you through any frustration and surely bring a smile to your face.

DSP is like the Burch of videogame,no matter how shit you are, you can always count on him being shitter than everyone else.

Quad 4s never lie.

you forgot the MGS making arcane builds even viable

First time I fought Ludwig, he kicked my ass and I just rushed to finish the game and said screw the DLC. Second time around, I beat him second try.

Orphan of Kos killed me a lot, but I never got frustrated at it. I think the beast bosses aren't that fun to fight. They move quickly, have large ranges and generally have a lot of shit going on that makes a whole mess of the fight.

And the ability to transform into a beast/broccoli head.

The story isn't the focus of the games but they usually build up a decently interesting world and it can be fun figuring everything out. If your not interested then you can just ignore it and enjoy the rest of the game because as I said it isn't the focus. I still like it though, the story is usually pretty vague, takes a while to figure out and like you said is nearly always "everyones dead, everything is fucked** but I usually like the world they make.

Don't buy it at that price, just wait for it to go on sale or something. I got mine shortly after buying my PS4 from the PS store because the GOTY edition was on sale.

I struggled more with Ludwig than any other boss and felt like I must have died almost as much as DSP. His beast form was a tough enough fight on it's own but the transformation mid fight always through me off and I couldn't adjust to his new moveset. Then after I die to his second form I need to go through the first form again which got me used to the beast moveset. I just couldn't get his second forms moveset down due to needing to fight through his first form and I was desperate to get through him so I could get the MGS for my arcane character.

In the end I gave up and had to summon Valtr to get past him. Next time I play through on a new character i'm hoping to solo him like I have most other bosses.

The DLC is by far the best part of the game.
Its only real flaw is that once you beat it the rest of the game feels like babies.

Wasn't he dragged down into the Hunter's Nightmare where he was cursed to find his own skull or something?

yeah he turns into the a cleric beast reskin.

I wish it were just a reskin. The second phase was a pain in the ass.

The second phase has like one attack how the hell are you having trouble with it. Literally the only boss in the game killed on my first attempt when I was playing through the first time

The second phase is just some mo' bullshit, at least NG+ and beyond. Stupid damage, stupid tracking, and nearly 360 degree area denial.

"Dragged" isn't the right word.
From my understanding, if you die, and you're a hunter, and you died while frenzied by bloodlust, then you end up in the nightmare.
So that means he died, and now he's there.
Just like Maria after she killed herself.
Also it's interesting to think if Maria was the exception to the "frenzied" rule because she didn't even use her blood in the first place when she was alive, so perhaps she was cursed because she was directly involved in the defilement of the Great One.

Mistakes were made on my end and I played it on NG+. I had never played a From game before, wasted a full hour on Ludwig as well.

Yes, Ludwig, the first hunter for the church, thought it was a good idea to use the populace as amateur hunters to kill them faster. He's basically the reason why your enemies have weapons.

"A hunter who goes drunk with blood is said to be taken by the Nightmare, destined to wander forever, engaged in an endless hunt. It is a fate that no Hunter can escape"

-Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter

I think it means that they began killing and just couldn't stop, blood drunk as in they loved killing and just couldn't stop.

If Eileen turns hostile she says: ""Few hunters can resist the intoxication of the hunt. Look at you, just the same as all the rest…"

Which I assume is her assuming we've also gone mad and are just mindless killers. Maybe because we used all the blood to level up on the doll?

God fucking damn it I always forget something. I say dragged because they're pulled into it, not sure if you have to die to get sent there.

That rule is precisely why Maria doesn't fit the profile.

Maria doesn't seem like the type to go full blood frenzied, and while she possesses in her veins the ability to use her own blood as a weapon, typical of Cainhurst nobles, in various descriptions it's stated that she didn't like using it, and that the Rakuyo was her favorite weapon specifically because it didn't use her blood to deal damage.

Also we know she became disgusted in the Church and hunters in general and threw the weapon away.

So i think the game is strongly hinting that she was directly involved first hand in doing whatever the Church did to that pregnant Great One.

Her patients say they can "hear the sea", did she and the Church use this as a clue to find the Great One, or was it the other way around, where they found the Great One, did the thing, and then used whatever they extracted from it to start experimenting with the patients and later those experiments lead to the creation of Celestial Emissaries?

Either way it seems like there's a very good reason why she was cursed, and it doesn't necessarily has anything to do with her becoming blood drunk or insane.

BB's lore interested me so much that I've read plenty about it, but I still don't understand who or what the Moon Presence is supposed to be.

Is it Mergo or a baby Great One/ayy or something?

That, i have no idea.
That entire part of the game is incredibly ambiguous.
I think it's reasonable to say it's a Great One, but i have no clue what it's role actually is.
There's all kinds of wild theories, from it being the one controlling Gherman, the doll and the dream (sorta makes sense, you turn into the new Gherman if you let it embrace you) to the doll being actually a Great One in disguise and the Moon Presence being some kind of disturbance/unwanted element that needs to be destroyed or perhaps killing it is part of the ritual that allows you to become a Great One yourself and essentially evolve past humanity.

It's just a very vague ending part that is open to all kinds of interpretations.

I don't know the specifics but I doubt it's a baby great one. It's pretty apparent from 2/3 of the endings that it's facilitating the hunt, or at least the hunter's dream, what with it's attempt to, at least I'm assuming, turn you into another Gehrman after the fight

I think it was more about guilt than anything. Maybe she stayed there because the felt bad of what they did to the patients and what happened to the villagers?

If I remember correctly (and my memory is shit, so, correct me if I'm wrong) didn't the patients like Maria because she treated them kindly and took care of them?
I think since she felt so disgusted by what happened to the village and the experiments on the Research Hall she chose to stay in the Nightmare after she killed herself so she wouldn't forget what she had done.

But also remember what she says when you get touchy with her: "A corpse… should be left well alone.
Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly.
Only an honest death will cure you now.
Liberate you, from your wild curiosity."
She could have also been there to keep what they had done secret.

Wasn't this the Choir? Didn't the church began only after they found Ebrieta's blood and Laurence decided to start the Healing Church?

Also on another note, I keep forgetting that Maria was a Cainhurst descendant. Kinda sad we couldn't use blood on Rakuyo.

Hey guys I beat the game with a str build and used axe and pizza cutter.

What kind of build should I use for my next playthrough?

Yeah, I do like the ambiguity they gave to the endings. It's neat hearing different theories as to who the Moon Man could be.

Reminds me a bit of Demon's Souls and the Old One in a way, with how he's implied to be the voice of God that St. Urbain's been hearing but it's never explicitly stated either way (to my knowledge, anyway).

The lore of the other games in the Souls series never gripped me as much as BB and DeS did. I can't really put my finger on why.

The beast talisman pretty much directly states that The Old One and their god is one in the same. Some of Sage Freke's dialog hints it as well.

The weeks after I finished the game I downloaded the entire works of Lovecraft, had never read them before. Something about old gods, secret cults, something greater than us existing out there in other reality plans made me just love it.

No, the Choir is relatively recent.

Well, yes, the hunters only popped out after the Church was founded.
The Church started using the blood on everyone and they turned into beasts and thus, in turn, hunters were born to hunt them, Gehrman and Maria were among the first.

Whatever happened in the village, it happened after the Church was founded because it directly involves hunters and hunters are a result of the Church, but before the Choir, as the Choir popped up later and perfected the Celestial Emissaries (that might, or might not be related to whatever the Church did to that Great One in the village back then, perhaps that was the breaktrough that allowed the Choir later on to finish their work).

I remember that actually, my bad. I started another playthrough of DeS a few months ago but I haven't found time to play it much recently.

I did the same with At the Mountains of Madness after I beat it, yeah.

I think part of why BB/Lovecraftian lore interests me so much is because you normally only see stuff to do with space or aliens in sci-fi and futuristic settings, whereas they blend those normally futuristic things with settings styled after the past.

I've been reading up on Roman history and culture recently and the part in book 2 of the Aeneid where a comet appears in the sky, as a reference to the comet that appeared in the sky during Caesar's funeral, really sticks out to me. I dunno, I just find stuff like that really cool.

Heavy spoiler theory :

The doll being animated is a gift from the moon presence, it wants to get rid of the "blessings" of Odeon so it trade power for it : that what the blood echoes are, Odeon is formless it's made of Blood and Voice. Since the moon presence was summoned to help get rid of the beast blight it provides hunters with limited imortality as you can one day stop dreaming like Eileen and the other old Hunters, and means to get stronger faster and better at hunting through the doll.

Hence why you'd need insight to be able to interact with her.

Oh and I forgot to put my actual question in the post, why is depth 3 onward Undead Giant such a fucking pain in the ass ? Is there a way to cheese the fucker reliably other than getting into the rythm and cracking the old Hunter Bone ? I got less trouble on the blood letting beast than i do on the chain and balls giant.

You haven't even gotten to the """fun""" chalice dungeons where your max HP is halved and almost every boss one shots you! Not to mention bosses have way bloated HP down there.
Seriously chalice dungeons are probably the third worst thing in the game.
First being nightmare plains
second being how they ruined PvP

It's theorized Gehrman founded the workshop and assisted Byrgenwerth. If you trigger his dialogue where he's in his sleep begging Master Willem or Laurence for help which means he knew them both personally.
If they began with the Church I doubt he'd have ties with Willem who remained Byrgenwerth and opposed Laurence (I meant Byrgen when I said Choir, my bad)

"Ludwig was the first of many Healing Church hunters to come, many of Whom were clerics."
-Sword Hunter Badge

"A trick weapon typically used by Healing Church hunters. It is said that the silver sword was employed by Ludwig, the first hunter of the church. When transformed, it combines with its sheath to form a greatsword. The Healing Church workshop began with Ludwig, and departed from old Gehrman's techniques to provide hunters with the means to hunt more terrifying beasts, and perhaps things still worse.
-Ludwig’s Holy Blade

oh an I forgot to answer your question.
Not really no there isn't.
BB is very set in how it wants you to play

Fucking fuck, sorry.

Forgot to add: Ludwig always seemed to be the first hunter of the Church. Wouldn't they also point out Gehrman? Even when they talk about the weapons in the Holy Badge, they say they began making weapons for worse creatures and straied from old Gerhman's techniques for bigger beasts which seems to imply that the scourge has occurred for some time now and that Gehrman has been there to deal with it.

What we know about the Moon Presence is it

1) is certainly the source of the beastly scourge, or at least the moon's proximity is what causes the beasthood in the tainted blood to manifest.

2) resembles both a kin and a beast.

3) only confronts you or Gehrman after Mergo and the Wet Nurse have been slaughtered.

4) is described as "nameless" several times, and the term Paleblood seems to be a name given to it. Or given to the moon during the hunt anyway, even if the people aren't aware of what the Moon Presence really looks like.

Based on this I think it's reasonable to say that it's a rogue Great One. The game describes the other Great Ones as ultimately sympathetic and desirous of a surrogate child, but neither of these really apply to the Presence.

Some of the Cainhurst descriptions say that they had servants quietly deal with the beastly scourge while the nobles were using the tainted blood, presumably Pthumeria and Loran had people fulfill similar roles. Gehrman is probably just the first man to go out and attempt to take on the beasts, but was unaffiliated with the Church at first. Based on the events at the Fishing Hamlet it's likely he was a student of Byrgenwerth, but wasn't working with Laurence's sect at first.

Got the game,should i go in blind or i need some tips?
This is the first "dark soul" type of game i play.

Expect to die a lot. The mechanics can take a while to get into for some and I found BB harder and less forgiving than Dark souls.

When you have the maximum amount of items, for example 20 blood vials, any others you pick up will not be wasted but will instead go into storage. When you die or return to the hunters dream your blood vials will be refilled to max using those from your storage, if your storage runs out then they don't get refilled.

When you take damage you have 5 seconds to regain that health by hitting an enemy, if you get hit again it resets. You can also usually get one or two hits in on the enemies body right after they die that also heal you.

Ringing the co-op bell costs insight which you usually gain by first encountering a boss, beating a boss or by using Madman's knowledge. Once you have 1 insight you can level up at the doll in the hunters dream but you lose this ability if you drop back down to 0 insight. I'd recommend using the first madmans knowledge you find straight away so you can level up before the first boss fight.

be sure to explore and don't be afraid of grinding if you have trouble. Raw grinding isn't as effective as Dark souls since the game relies more on dodging but it can help.

The game relies on dodging, the shield you can find is a joke weapon and shouldn't actually be used at all.

Guns don't deal much damage but can be used to parry. Shoot an enemy right as their attack is about to start and you will stun them, walk up to the front or back of a stunned enemy and press R1 to do a visceral attack that deals high damage and instantly refills any health you can rally back. You can also stun them by hitting them in the back with a fully charged R2 attack.

Yes enemy hunter NPCs with guns are complete bullshit and you should hate them with the burning fury of a thousand undying suns.

If you have trouble with a bit that has multiple enemies at once then try to lure them out if possible. The bit near the start with two werewolves is probably the hardest part of that area because they both aggro easily.

Try and avoid reading the wiki if possible. I used it for a couple of things but the game is best played as blind as possible, just look at the wiki's weapon list to pick what weapons look interesting to you so you know what stats you want to level up. I assume this thread has spoiled lots of the game for you but going in blind is a wild ride.

Post more

I didn't really read the thread so much so i'm pretty blind right now.
And thanks for the help.

Keep it that way. I only played it recently and had heard plenty of discussion about it already so I regretted not going into it blind. I'm not talking about anything specific but just general themes and twists that make the first blind playthrough a wild ride.

Who is this beautiful violet haired oppai goddess?

I'll keep it like that then

Shidare Hotaru from Dagashi Kashi

More than anything in the thread this is the best advice

FROM made the note system in Demon's Souls because they wanted to go back to a time before players could easily access a large amount of information about any game, so that people playing the game would have to cooperate and try to help others and put their trust in the community, like when you'd hear crazy rumors about certain secrets and hidden areas in games from your friends way back when you were a kid. So it's completely antithetical to the spirit of these games that most people recommend using the wiki for everything. You shouldn't be looking up the best weapons or the hidden areas or the locations of upgrade materials, you should be learning on your own.

Unfortunately post-Dark Souls the notes are mostly used by memelords looking for upvotes, but the point still stands.

After getting bored very quickly with a game which I won't name, I'm back to Bloodborne on my NG+5 character. I originally didn't intend to push it beyond level 120, but fuck it why not?

Now at level 201. God I missed this game, I feel like I woke up from a really bad dream. The combat is so much more refined and methodical even while being fast. Fucking Lost MLGS has a 719 attack rating because of all that scaling and bloodgems. The only level 20 bloodgem I have is a damn abyssal bolt gem, which isn't particularly useful unless I whip out my Lost weapons.

I was thinking about fooling around with the beast claw and kos parasite because I never really wanted to abandon my Hunter Caryll. Anyone got protips?

Played for a bit today:got my ass kicked a lot of times,lost one time 3k blood echoes, and now 6k while trying to kill Cleric Beast.The doll awakened but i lost my blood echoes so i can't do shit.Fucking cunt.

I have two NG+ or +2 files ready for Beast Claw and Kos Parasite runs but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm replaying and going for a Str/Arc build for the MLGS.

Seems like with the rapid attack speed, using Dirty Damp blood gems would be a viable strategy.

This game will eventually drown you in blood echoes, it only really matters to lose them at the very beginning.

Tip, all beasts are weak to fire and the head is the weak point for the Cleric Beast. Pro tip, the Cleric Beast is an optional boss, it's essentially just a tutorial.

Keep at it user, the moment you start worrying about blood echoes is the moment your enjoyment of the game plummets. Accept that they're a transitory thing and that death isn't so much failure as it is just another facet of the game and you'll hit your stride before you know it.

I'd tell you to try Ni-Oh too, very rough and unfunished but incredibly fun, but unfortunately the demo period is over and you'll have to wait for the finished product now.

Btw this is an advice for not only BB but any souls game: stop giving a shit about souls/blood.

It's meaningless, the game will shower you with them, you'll build up the amount again as you progress and if you aren't leveling because you keep losing them, enemies later on will give you more that you will then translate in turn in more levels so it works itself out, these games are very balanced progression wise.

One of the biggest differences between a new souls player and a seasoned one is that the seasoned player doesn't care about losing "resources" anymore.
Stop caring and you'll find yourself getting way more gud because you're less stressed and more focused.

This is just my guess but Gherman, Maria, and several other hunters were the first hunters that existed to secretly hunt down people turning into beasts from blood use. After a good portion of the town was burned down Ludwig and the church openly proclaimed hunting season and the old secretive workshop and hidden trick weapons became unnecessary.

Some of the weapon and armor descriptions do support your theory, for example even Simon disguised as a beggar, it all suggests that initially hunters used stealth and had to take out specific individuals in populated areas.
As people got more and more familiar with the side effects of using blood it became more of a militia sort of thing, i suppose.
And then as the creatures got weirder and weirder the weapons themselves became bigger and more bizzarre.

I tried Ni-oh and it was boring trash. To each their own, I suppose.

I've heard a theory that revolves around the Moon Presence being some kind of unknown being that hunts Great Ones, although whether it is a Great One itself or some entirely new species that is outside the realm of Bloodborne entirely is hard to guess.

I honestly thought it was so weak that maybe it wasn't really anything notable, but then someone told me that most of its power could be spread across the Hunter's Dream and its various tools and uses, alongside the fact that your player character is transforming into a Great One when you fight it. Maybe the whole point is that it's too weak to fight Great Ones on its own without backup in the form of hunters.

No, you fucking retard, Divine Cybermancy is much deeper than this.

>tfw no ps4
ください

Possibly. Some item descriptions and notes in the game seem to imply that finding the Third of an Umbilical Cord, summoning the Moon Presence, unleashing the beastly scourge on the town, and burning down Old Yharnam all happened in a single night. I don't know how well the Church could have hidden the rising beasthood or the hunt beyond that point.

There are so many references to it throughout the entire game that it can't be true.

I just came in to say I love this game but fuck Ludwig.

It's such a great boss in every way that there's just no way to get upset at it.

Fextralife actually has an incredible comprehensive guide on Ludwig's boss fight that helped me out by miles.

One of the biggest mistakes people make on Ludwig is when he jumps on the ceiling and tracks you before falling down. Most people have the instinct to run away as far as they can to avoid the drop, but this only drains your stamina and doesn't always save you. See, this attack has a tell: Just before Ludwig falls down, he'll make a lower-pitched scream; all you have to do when he does this attack is just chill for a moment, wait for the scream, then roll immediately. When you do this, you will be in a great position to punish him for his attack and you won't wasted any stamina.

I wish i could play bloodborne.

He's really not that bad.
Only the first phase is kinda bullshit because of his cieling drop and huge hitbox swipes, if you get him to the second phase and hug him close none of his attacks will hit you.
Dodge well, stay out of the front cone when he plunges his sword down, watch out for the occasional AOE, and he's not that tough.

Sometimes i forget that people didn't actually finish the chalice dungeons.
After beating them on more than 6 characters, when the DLC came out all the bosses felt like a breeze.
The dungeon have shit like xbox huge bosses with bugged hitboxes and autotracking attacks that will, at best, twoshot you, and at worst oneshot you straight up.
The later cursed dungeons in BB are some of the most difficult shit you will ever face in any souls game, anyone saying that BB is the easiest souls game never faced them, for sure.

I have completed the Chalice, and still hate Ludwig the most.

The chalice dungeons are about as easy as NG+ as a low vit character.
You get one shot by every boss' attacks and the hitboxes get worse the more you die on a given boss.
Also Lady Yarham is a complete joke of a boss once you get the crying mechanic down

Did people seriously not know that? There's a visual tell too, he'll dribble blood before he drops.

I will never git gud, will I?

Are you playing with headphones? The PS4 lets you redirect all game audio to the headphone jack in the controller and I highly recommend you do so for Bloodborne. The sound design is really commendable and will give you a better sense of where enemies are and what they're doing. That's how this game pulled off mobs so well, they'll never truly sneak up on you because you can hear where they're coming from and how close they are.

It also gives you the benefit of listening to the soundtrack more closely.

You will never be as bad as Phil.

He's like my ray of ironic hope. Ludwig took me 31 consecutive tries.

I'm almost certain the Orphan of Kos took me that many tries the first time too, you just have to take the losses like a man.

Why? Nobody wants to hear shitty audio from a nigger turd tier source as the gayass4 controller

Never beat Oprhan solo But I've come close many times.

Does summoning not make it harder? I can't imagine you'd want to deal with that thing with higher HP.

PC port when?
As much as I want to play this I simply can't justify buying a PS4 for one game, and there aren't any other games for it that I want.

Never. Sony owns the IP.

Funny thing about that. At the last second before I entered the fight I got a second person to join. With three people attacking aggressively we managed to aggro it into using it's leap away counter attack so much that it never changed to it's second phase. When we won, it just stood there and didn't vanish until I left the area. Beat it on NG+2

A question:if i get killed and lose the blood echoes, start again near the lamp,can i go back to the hunter's dream and then try to get back the echoes or they get lost?

It's definitely not worth it.

Please tell me there's a ringu anime where sadako is a shy girl wanting love.

If there is, i don't know the name.I can't help you user, maybe try /rec/.

Thanks anyway user, you've given me hope that it may exist and that picture of her is fucking adorable

This game was alright, but I can't help but admit the fact that it would have been better if it was just a reskin of Dark Souls. The new mechanics were pretty shitty, and the weapon selection was garbo.

Please respond

Strength again. Stake Driver. Manliest weapon in any From game.

Yes you can, the blood echoes don't disappear until the next time you die.

Nice thank you user

Wait for real? I thought he was required for one reason or another as THE first boss. Whatever I guess. It's not like optional bosses are a bad thing. Cleric Boss is piss easy anyway if you have Father Gascoigne distracting it the whole time

Like the Blood-Starved Beast. THAT was kind of a pain, but I wound up enjoying the struggle

Also, would you the doll?

That image

There are only seven bosses you actually have to fight to get to the end of the game.

The one exception here is that the two routes to fighting Amelia are blocked off by boss fights. You either need to take the back route through the right door in the Cathedral Ward, which unlocks after killing the Blood-starved Beast, or you need the Hunter Chief Emblem to unlock the gate, which becomes available for purchase after killing the Cleric Beast. But otherwise, yeah, any other boss fight is purely optional.

I'd rather Maria.

wow, I had no idea.

I DO know the Witch fight is totally optional, but I want dem Caryll Runes especially since I've already picked up 3 or 4.
And I actually defeated the Blood STarved Beast and wound up buying that Emblem, since I wasn't sure which way to go after killing it.

Nice. I'd go for Eileen too. Bloodborne has some good waifus even an /ara/

Yeah, Cleric Beast just serves to give the hunter the insight necessary to wake up the doll but if you go to the sewers you can get Madman's Knowledge.

Ehh as long as she kept the Crow outfit on. Isn't she supposed to be like sixty years old?

I thought she was only around 35 or 40.