Enter the Gungeon

This released recently and is making a mild buzz. I have 15 bucks to kill - is it worth the buy? I really enjoyed the binding of isaac, so I'm not put off by the genre, so does this hold up to TBOI?

If you're gonna ask if it's worth buying, it's worth pirating first in order to find out.

It's a shittier Nuclear Throne/Isaac hybrid

Either pirate Nuclear Throne or Isaac (Afterbirth is up2u since Cuckmund supposedly nerfed a bunch of shit pointlessly), but give this a miss I say.

And I do mean pirate. Never ever pay more than 5 dollars (or equivalent) for a pixel-art indie game. They charge you a cent more and it's insta-pirate.

There are better games in the same genre as it, like The Binding of Issac and or Rogue Legacy.

Worse than TBoI but better than Nuclear Throne.

While we're on the subject of generic pixel shit rogue-lites, how's Dungeon Souls?

Janky mechanics. It's supposed to be a "gun game" but it doesn't really play as such. Feels like there was a lot of idea guys behind it without an actual core designer.

This. It has Borderlands syndrome. There are a million different guns, but which ones you have rarely matter because 999,990 of them are all the same.

Actually, the main problem with Borderlands is power creep.
A lot of the guns are pretty different, but most of them are absolutely useless.

not worth it bruh

There are a lot of comparisons to BoI and RoR, but the truth is Gungeon doesn't have nearly as much variety and synergy between shit you can pick up.
You just hope to get a better gun and keep rolling.
It's more of an crimsonland/alien shooter experience, rather than BoI.

Correct

And also correct. All the cool guns you see in the trailer seem to be one in a million. To be fair they seemed to do it for balance reasons and there are some cool trinkets that kind of make up for it.

More like Enter the Dubsgeon

It's an inferior clone of every other roguelite indie game on Steam.

>Enter the Gungeon has zero (0) Yung Venuz cameos
it's worthless

I didn't enjoy Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne as much as this game, I'm haivng lots of fun with this.

But maybe that's because I fucking love actual bullet hell that leaves you a chance to squeeze through bullets like in proper shmups. BoI or NT never gave me the rush micrododging.

Something that always bothered me about BoI was how you can just restart until you get a really overpowered item, and then you proceed to steamroll anything with no need to dodge anymore. NT left me disappointed because every playthrough felt the same, there just wasn't very much content in this game. And while the floors were randomized they always felt the same because it doesn't work with randomly generated rooms you have to clear like in BoI or ETG

Overall I'd say ETG is the better game

It's pretty good.

People compare this game to nuclear throne, i like both games but enter the gungeon is more polished and tightly designed, and immediately fun right off the bat, while nuclear throne is sort of a buildup towards a point where you're actually having fun, like BOI.

Anyone who's shitting on either game straight up probably hasn't really played both, or hasn't played them in depth.

They're both good games that have similiar goals but their approach to reach that goal is pretty different and the experience you will have playing either game will be very different overall.

I suggest both but i think ETG has a small edge right now because the developers are supporting it more with patches and content on all platforms, while the NT developer is sort of a fuckup that is very slow at adding and fixing shit.

The grafix are shit

Even anime has moved on to proper 3d imagery, why hasn't this shitty game?

It has one, at least that I know of.

there's better alternatives fam

can you name 3 ?

there are some solid ass torrents to test, they are just now ramping up the content cycle

wonderful game, but thats merely one mans opinion
i actually kinda disliked it until i had slain the first floors a few times
rescued a few of the hub area npcs
then the game opens up, you get to control your item pool ala NecroDancer.
you get balance patches and new shit for free too

pic related, its the game that made me buy gungeon

You sound like the kind of person who would say "I got this for free and it still cost too much"

such cancerous logic

i normally dont agree but yeah you really shouldn't support artists who put no work toward their game getting paid the same as AAA developers spending literally millions of dollars on development. you should get what you put out and five dollars is still a bit unreasonable

do you want EVERY game to look like enter the gungeon?

because if you can make the same amount of money shitting that out, why bother making visually appealing games at all? thats the conclusion big developers will come to eventually and then ushers in a new age of AAA "indie" games

Get fucked. Observe them.

there are three games in this genre
how poor is user at large that we cannot enjoy them ALL?
do we allow vlambeer to survive with their budget shit? do we MERCIFULLY let isaac to continue with its triple rerelease of a pixelshit flash game?
do we have the NAKED AUDACITY to allow a 3 year effort by a small team with crazy effort, high values, running better than either a chance to exist?

man we dont have many options, if you wanna choose elitism in this underserviced clientel, go ahead. I own SUCK AT and love all three

To be fair, Vlambeer are total faggots, and I lost a lot of respect for Edmund over Afterbirth.

But I have 800+ hours in BoI, and the two games with add-ons didn't cost me more 40 bucks total.

So I guess you'll have to separate the good game from the faggot devs and enjoy it for what it is.

They're raging SJWs so no.

my point was, everyone has a go on gungeon over pixelshit blahblahblah
this entire genre is pixelshit

No.

The one good thing to come out of Nuclear Throne being a complete cock-up is that Rami and JW got a really rude awakening after the official release (that which they had to rush due to Sony contracts). They might be able to pop out a decent game in the future because of this experience, but when you even have those circlejerking bootlickers on phlebbit calling you out for your shit, you know that you've fucked up.

Pic unrelated

"Clever" shills doing their best Holla Forums impersonation. The content of these threads don't matter to them. They just want to keep bumping it and get that high post count to give the illusion that people are actually discussing this game.
Since before the game came out, shills have been posting these threads, daily, with every strategy from: lol wut is this follow this steam link, to lol this game is great if you hate it ur a commie, to lol this game is shit but let's keep talking about it every day. It's Fallout 4 all over again only not as aggressive because their budget isn't as bloated.

If you want a roguelite sure, if you want a top down shooter nope.

You'll be bored by your third run and quit before even trying the 4th character.