Roguelikes and Roguelites thread

Been recently playing my DS copy of Shiren the Wanderer. Amazing game, and a bit of a shame that the Pokemon games eclipsed the non-Diablo entries in Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon games, but I suppose it'd rather keep the series to myself than have casuals get the wrong idea of the mainline series.

Any Roguelikes/ Roguelites you've been playing, Holla Forums? Stories of any recent runs?

Other urls found in this thread:

watabou.itch.io/pixel-dungeon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

really wanna try Shiren, how long is it?

Depends. It took me a good 2 months to git gud and beat the main dungeon. And then all the post game ones opened up.

Anyone more used to Mystery Dungeons or roguelikes in general might find Shiren childplay. But it is a damn charming game, as good in it's writing and presentation as any Dragon Quest game

I should play ADOM sometime. few months back got to the 48 level of caverns of chaos. managed to put two of the orbs to their places. then made the tactical error of retreating from emperor lich, because way I retreated, I moved farther and farther from the stairs. and then that fucker summons monsters and I get gangraped by great karmic wyrms and other shit like that. Was my best run so far, never been so close to beating the game.

feels good man

Good old Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a ton of fun.

ToME is pretty great in a lot of ways.

Pixel Dungeon is good on mobile. Simple enough not to be a pain to play and good for a quick fix.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is also quite good, the main mechanical changes being you can create a team to go in to a dungeon (or try it solo and get mad XP because you don't have to share) and you can only build forts on some levels of the dungeon to hold it and prevent it changing next time you enter.

Other than that, ToME and Nethack are my preferred. I like using the Vulture UI for Nethack.

I've been meaning to pick that up.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon i mean.

and I even had guns and ammo at the LMOE but I decided NOT to take it with me since I had a wood axe

bump

BUMPOMAN

Are there any roguelikes that are lengthy and have stories? I guess im just looking for a regular rpg but in roguelike style.

caves of qud

Elona+

Anything i should know before playing?

Obligatory mention of FTL, Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Terraria, and Dwarf Fortress

Cataclysm DDA story time:

>in the fields SPOILER stares at you and you shudder but I seem to make it back home unscathed
>FUCK
>what ammo is left in my shotty is all I have now
>from the west you hear THUMP

This game sometimes.

watabou.itch.io/pixel-dungeon
PC port, as well. Of course, a touch game on a pc is gonna play like hot nasty shit, but hey.

fuck wrong image

ADOM and IVAN, though neither reaches even the plot density of a typical Diablo clone.

I would suggest the non Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Particularly either Shiren or the Torneko/ Taloon games.

Why are rouge likes not even stealth? The fuck is "rouge" like? What about paladin like and Knight like or magician like?

Because it's no fun skulking through a dungeon without a light source.