Star Ocean 5 - Devs asking for our questions

OK faggots, the Star Ocean twitter account are opening questions to the public for the devs to answer:

twitter.com/StarOcean/status/728600362165403648
archive.is/6PNpP

Now what we need to do is let them know that censorship of any kind is unacceptable.

When people say they’re cancelling their preorders or boycotting etc. over bad localisations, are they also COMMUNICATING TO THE COMPANIES INVOLVED about WHY they’re doing this?

If anyone has the full Torrential Downpour OP, post it, it has some good info.

Don't ask generic questions like "why was it censored?", they'll just fall back on wanting to lower the rating of the game when that is obviously bullshit. Perhaps making comparison to games which have T-ratings and show panties would be better. Remember to be polite when asking questions!!!

Just make a burner account, the more people that message about this, the harder it'll be for them to ignore.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/At8s74ty
twitter.com/ChaoGuy2006/status/729002484648300549
twitter.com/lielianshin/status/728769259409543168
twitter.com/UlfHesh/status/729045518064750593
twitter.com/hashtag/AskSOV?src=hash
twitter.com/hashtag/SOV?src=hash
gamingbolt.com/shuichi-kobayashi-explains-why-star-ocean-5-will-not-come-on-xbox-one-its-a-technical-challenge
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Integrity_and_Faithlessness
businessinsider.com/there-2011-2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So are we going to ask them why Miki is wearing diapers?

sage cause forgot my image

Basically this, but we need lots of people messaging so that the people picking the questions will find it hard to ignore. The fact they changed it in all regions is what's most worrying.

Did my bit

Censorship is the least of this game's problems and if they want ignorant consumers to even buy their shit then they have so much to fix. They should be asking "how do you think we should unfuck our game so it's worth buying?"

And that's just a small amount I've heard from others since I've forgotten most of the other reasons. Even if this game was uncensored no one here would buy it because it's not worth playing one bit. It was so bad not even Checker Tits could save it. She barely even has any fan art. There's a reason why Amazon JP has many reviews with 1 star.

I know the game got a lot of backlash from Japanese players because of the censorship too. It's a shame about the other problems though.

Lets do this.
Its about time we speak against this localization.

don't forget to mention how diaper fanservice is even more disgusting since it fetishishes literal toddlers

Don't forget to follow them or it won't count!
Is it also worth faving/liking/heart button thing all the tweets RE the censorship? That way it shows how many agree with it.

1000 people say X. Whatever.
1000 people say X, and 1000 people show they agree with each comment. Well, some of those might not be the original one thousand! A lot of people could want this. And they put in a lot of effort. Maybe we screwed up.

Maybe even post your tweet here so we can "boost" it (unless Twitter does the same shit as Plebbit and bans people if they think they used external websites to make a tweet more popular "artificially")

Also, link to articles explaining Western MSM/SJW do not speak for gamers.
Using Pastebin for these Japanese articles explaining GG (and I think SJWs), since URLs are fuckhuge.
pastebin.com/At8s74ty

I don't think those look like diapers.

No Ar nosurge on that list really bothers me.

They aren't diapers. It's a forced, unfunny meme that was pushed in an attempt to make Japan notice or some shit like that.
Even the OC is low effort garbage proving how forced and unfunny it is

It's literally just the character pasted on a box of diapers.

Before someone jumps at me: I don't approve of the changes, I just hate forced memes.

Bump. Selfcensorship for bullshit reasons has to go.

Screw it, I'll lead by example:
twitter.com/ChaoGuy2006/status/729002484648300549
twitter.com/lielianshin/status/728769259409543168

Seriously, unless they've been deleting comments, this is all we have.

How fucking stupid would it be if the NA version came out untouched when the Japanese version had short removed?

It's unlikely that anything will actually change. The messages we send now will hopefully enforce that fact that we don't want censorship in our games. So maybe, just maybe, devs will think twice before they pander to a minority of dipshits in the west.

Good job user

Daft question: Are we posting this in GG thread?

Wait till they do a fresh thread and post about it at the start

Ask why all female characters aren't in hijabs. Tell them their game is haram.

I'm going through and liking all the tweets related to censorship. Hopefully they'll get more attention that way. My tweet:

twitter.com/UlfHesh/status/729045518064750593

I hate twitter cause i'm really bad at being concise and tend to waffle

Yeah, the twitter thing goes on till the 11th May, still have time.

>Got any questions about #SOV? Next week we're speaking to the game's producer & giving you the chance to get your questions answered [1/2]
Basically, filtered conversation. It's PR.

>Follow us & tweet your question by May 11 using #AskSOV & we'll pick some of the best & try to get as many questions answered! [2/2]
Marketing. Limited in number and time.

3 important observations:
1: The poster works for PR, the diction is just marketing.
2: twitter.com/hashtag/AskSOV?src=hash [&f=tweets&vertical=default]
twitter.com/hashtag/SOV?src=hash
These have already been used hashtags, they will ignore many posts.
3: Producer made his choices, questions will only work for his image as the game gets published. Anything wrong with his decisions, he will form excuses for, why the time limit. Any good will strengthen his decision.

Better tactic: sabotage the "stream" if any. Call his personal phone, or anyone's during the Q&A. In all likelihood, there won't be any stream, it will be a regular edited Q&A for publicity.

If you don't believe me, use all the search engines you know, and search "Star Ocean 5 localization". He's already debriefed his spiel. Heck, reading articles with "Shuichi Kobayashi" strengthen my view, this guy is an apologist to the core:
gamingbolt.com/shuichi-kobayashi-explains-why-star-ocean-5-will-not-come-on-xbox-one-its-a-technical-challenge

Reading the wiki entry, only enforces my views that they are trying whitewash their attempt at reviving console games:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Integrity_and_Faithlessness

—–
I had formed good diplomatic questions that look innocent enough, but I know the intent of this campaign. I have better chances haunting the Shuichi Kobayashi at night to halt the shitcalization, fire the team, and publish the Japanese version worldwide.

Since we know that's not happening, I'll just post my "pre-order" refund, citing all the articles with his apologies.

—–
Anyways, I rather play Falcom RPGs, since they still care for fans.

Forgot My post image, I guess.

We know this was unlikely to get to the devs.
Just like it was unlikely to get Nintedo to fix Fire Emblem.

We're doing it for everyone looking on. It's not until someone realized they have been lied to or got half of what they wanted that they suddenly take up arms- even if unintentionally ("Hey, did you hear about…")

I wouldn't say try to derail the stream per-say ("SJW get mad and so do gamers, just forget it."), but pretend to be a naive normal-fag asking honest questions.
When they lie, present evidence and feign confusion. "Are you sure? These games got a T rating? Did the ERSB lie to you?"
Because in acting innocent- they can't get angry and tell you to fuck off. As other neutral innocents will then make a PR nightmare.

I still think this is a viable approach, but it will only work if we flood the same type of question e.g. censorship is bad. If they do ignore them, then it'll be easy to call them out on it.

That works too. They're loosing sales/money. However, correct me if I'm wrong, despite the abomination that was FE:Fates, that still sold well. We could see a similar thing with SO5, which will mean they'll continue to censor without hesitation.

This does feel like a loosing battle though. Devs don't give a fuck about us, even if they do, the publishers will probably push them to do things their way for the sake of shekels.

Fates was riding off the success of Awakening, had the nintendrone fanbase behind it and was split into 3 games that's why it sold "well".
It was the Nintendo equivalent to Dragon Age 2.

If you want to see the affects the censorship wait for next year's sales report or see how it affected the European launch

Star Ocean the second story was the pinnacle of the star ocean series.

I know things were fucked as soon as I played the first part of SO3.

so what happened with the tweeter shit?

It came from a comment on the original Nipponese article about it you retard

SO3 wasn't bad, but you're quite right when you say it was the beginning of a sharp decline for the series.

I think, for a multitude of reasons, that the series itself just couldn't survive the shift from 2D to 3D.

You guys realize the number of problems that this game has on top of the censorship right?

Like the game being limited to one continent on one planet, or the combat being Star Ocean 3's skill spamfest?

The fact that they won't listen to a comment like yours and blame any loss of sales on controversy should be even more proof to you that they weren't trying to fix anything and only wanted to generate a PR circus out of this, scapegoating their way out of blaming themselves

well fuck can i have some sauce on that?

Honorable attempt, none which will amount to anything. Square will do what Square does, so will Kobayashi-san.

I doubt they will lie. Deceive, yes, lie no.

But they've wasted too much resources, time, and effort censoring and altering the Western versions. They have little to lose not answering anything at all. Recall, this "opportunity" is not whether censorship is bad or not, but if Shuichi Kobayashi did a good job or good job.

You see, you aren't being presented an opportunity, you are being presented a slight of hand. The only to turn this around, is with a slight of hand.

This was already explained: Any publicity is publicity, even if manufactured.
I sold well, because economic "scarcity" was manufactured. This person gets it:

Because it isn't a battle, it's a show, a circus act. You can't win something that's been already scripted, if you are not the show. Crashing a circus performance and attracting the crowd is what needs to be done:

E.G. Show them how awesome other companies are, their competitors, or thine own.

Both not true for all devs and publishers: Platnium, Marvelous, Falcom, Irem, Bandi-Namco*, SNK*, etc.
*at times.

Here's someone that actually gets it:

Yes, we do:

errata:
line 11: s/did a good job or good job./did a good job or a good job./

line 13: s/The only to turn this around,/The only way to turn this around,/

line17: s/I sold well/It sold well/

more errata:
line 11: s/censoring and altering the Western versions/censoring and altering the game/

I can play SO2 for hours and I enjoy the campy voice acting because in a way it was self aware. SO3 had these cut scenes that actively deterred me from enjoying the story.

The voice acting is just shit. You can do self aware camp without being cringy and SO3 didn't pull this off. The game would have been better served if the cut scenes were not voice acted.

Gameplay wise it was one of the early fully 3D active battle systems so there wasn't exactly a template for how not to fuck up. It was a noble effort but ultimately one I found mediocre. It was too complex where it didn't need complexity and too simple in other regards. It was a recipe for not having fun.

Stylistically it just wasn't as striking as SO2. Overall everything looked muddy texture wise and the characters models seemed fucked up in the facial department.

This game effectively killed the SO series for me. After the fact I found out that they rect-conned the entire series and basically explained that everything was a simulation. What a shit show.

I loved the fuck out of SO3 and still think that they could continue off after it since the Universe became it's own in the end(who in the fuck wanted adray lasbard as a new extra character instead of clair?). But it was my first star ocean and I can't say I have delved deep into the mechanics of SO2 or SO3.

judging by what you said about the story and gameplay you probably found start ocean 4 to be completely irredeemable. That was my point where not even the gameplay could make up the generic anime tier story that was attached to it. Even though I did like the pure edge character, probably because he said little and was part of the story for so little.

Ask the Devs whether diversity is the "KEY COMPONENT" of this game.

it's more important to me that the craft system not be shit like in SO3 but great like in SO2

They completely did away with the skill system from SO2 in SO3.

It allowed certain savvy players to break the game if they knew what skills to plop points into early game but if you wanted a more traditional run you could play without intentionally breaking it.

In SO3 it felt much more…"walled in". I won't say it was linear so much as your tactical choices felt limited. What I loved about SO2 was being able to break the game and play around with different situations that breaking the game presented vs playing vanilla. Often it made the game easier but any true scottsman will tell you a proper gamer makes their own fun.

I feel like in SO3 when I tried to deviate from the script the game didn't care for it.

Haven't played any SO game after 3. Never beat 3 since I borrowed it from a friend. Glad I never paid money for that trash.

Then again one might argue I'd have more of an investment in the game if I had bought it. Buyers bias be damned, I'm confident I haven't missed anything since SO2.

I'd argued this point before and everyone called me SJW.

I've seen multiple games come out and they get all this press from "censoring" content. You can argue how successful they were but I will argue I wouldn't have known anything about overwatch if it wasn't for the tracer's butt fiasco. I wouldn't know about Pillars of Eternia or dragonsphere without their shitty SJW news articles either. I'm not going to buy any of these games because they're shit but many plebs will because they have poor tastes.

They don't care about the permavirgin, body pillow grasping, dried cum sock audience. They want to reach normalfags. For them there's no such thing as bad press. All things considered the pantsu debacle isn't even that egregious in my book so much as it's desperate attention grabbing. The game is in development so no one even knew of the censorship. Why even mention it?

Free press.

What other reason is there?

Normalfags don't play JRPGs. Some will go after shit like Final Fantasy but they aren't going to suddenly buy a JRPG because some pantyshots were removed. It's an even dumber move in Japan, otaku are the people that buy these games. Squeenix fucked over their own audience at home to cater to an even smaller foreign audience.

The best part is the Japanese games that actually DO sell better in the west are uncut and full of lewd content and cute girls, such as Senran Kagura and Neptunia. Squeenix is oblivious as usual, so instead of looking into what fans care about they are taking Kotaku and Polygon articles at face value.

And this is what pandering to offendatron normal fags got them, a heavy discounted game in the first few weeks and shit ratings for a shit game that hardly sold near what they wanted it to. It's bullshit rationalization like this to push forward creeping censorship, 'if you like X you must be a creeping permavirgin'. Fuck off back to the sub reddit that is cuckchan.

Not all of them. They're casting their rod into a big pond. The prior entries into the series after SO2 were shit so there's no one lining up for SO5. I know I wasn't.

At this point they'll take what they'll get. They probably hoped the sour taste still in people's mouths from SO4 had been gone long enough to allow them to pump out another shitter.

I only hear about Senran kagura and neptunia on the chan boards. Ask a pleb about them and more than likely they've never heard of it. You have to have press or a strong community that love your game to act as advertisement for you. In this case Squeenix used the press. To save money they mentioned the SMALLEST change to the panties and they got articles everywhere. They knew what they were doing.

How well would SO5 had sold with no press? We won't know now but I don't think it would have done any better. I know the community wasn't hyped for it like they were for SO3 (before we knew it was shit)

And then there's this faggot.

They knew their game was shit, that's why they wanted to get the articles out. If you want to save money you can make a nontraversy and the kikes at kotaku will give you your own adver-err…article.

Also you're talking to a cum sock brandishing body pillowed fellow here. I lost my wizard status but I'm a virgin at heart, you're definitely a faggot though.

If somebody is interested, there was an expanded version of this image.

Also, here's more examples of T rated games that included some mild nudity.

I didn't claim the press paid off idiot. The game sold like shit because it is shit.

Even plebs can read review scores. If they can count to 10 they can tell if a game is shit which SO5 is.

A polished turd is just shiny shit.

Is this b8?

You aren't even consistent in your own logic.

So the game sold like shit in japan? Is it because its shit or because "muh pantyshots"? And yes, there is a difference between the two

Both, reviews talk about, very boring combat, poorly designed maps, stupid story, and granny panties

Getting the game's name out into the public will sell the game simply by random chance. Still if the game is shit…

It has a very niché audience to begin with who lost interest after the series went to shit. At best fans were cautiously optimistic prior the initial release.

If sales numbers are any indication it did horribly. The pantsu debacle didn't help but that might have been forgiven if the game wasn't garbage.

You can pre-order the game in the states for 59 dollary doos but I can't see anyone rationalizing that purchase.

SO3 was fun, although flawed. You're right SO2 was not only the pinnacle of the series but the pinnacle of RPG gaming in general. It's on my short list of greatest RPGs ever made and if I had to take one game on a desert island, it would probably be that one just do to the sheer amount of things you can find an do. You could play that game for 50 years and not find everything if you're not using a guide.

They did this shit in Last hope too, probably the worst game mechanic I've ever seen in an rpg. Bosses would spam it too.

Well, this is Tri Ace we're talking about. As much as I like them, the stories in their games usually turn out to be trash.

I guess if I could point out a flaw in SO2 was some aspects of the game were very cryptic. Specifically which skills to invest in first to get the best performance in battle. Once I got my hands on internet I used Game Faqs quite a bit for this game.

Where's the fun in that? SO2 is all about the wonders of discovery (as long as you're playing superior Claude-side) and the gameplay mirrors that. It's like you're trapped playing an alien game while Claude is trapped on an alien world. Tons of fun to work it out yourself.
Using a guide that explains it all must just remove a big chunk of the mystique and fun. I imagine using a guide for The Last Remnant also destroys most of the charm of that game.

Nah. SO3 is actually the only game I have ever regretted buying so much that I attempted to sell it. I never did though, since I'd rather keep a shit game for my collection than take whatever Gamestop was offering.

I know that. It was one comment with a joke and then people tried to push it which is just cringy.

I seriously admire the quiet way Japanese customers manage to steamroll a product if they hate it. It's never an coordinated action, either. They just all collectively regard a corp as full of shit for a blase product.

Me too. I'm actually pretty envious of them for it.

I want a strong, small, tightknit and nationalistic community that can easily rain fury over faggots as well.

They work quickly, too. If I recall correctly, the game had fallen to that price in less than two weeks after it came out, as a very fast result of the game being panned.

Well for my vanilla run I didn't use a guide but naturally for subsequent runs I needed a bit of help to pick out all the PA side parts, crafting the uber weapons & other assorted gear, and delving into that fucking mystery dungeon.

I did quite a few runs sans Celine thinking I had to ditch her for Opera when in fact I had to leave Ashton. This was a time before I had internet so I was literally flying blind in terms of figuring things out.

My litmus test for the SO series is this. How many times have you replayed the game? For me, I've played SO2 multiple times all the way through to the mystery dungeon. All of that was prior to emulator speed boosting. Watching every drawn out magic caster's spell. Every battle at 1x speed.

That's paitence.

I never got into pick pocketing until I got into the emulator side of quick saving and quick loading because fuck that cryptic RNG bullshit.

Checker tits thread?

Yeah, I totally buy a game because I saw the name mentioned in a random article, regardless of my interest in it.
You're fucking retarded.

Otaku are nothing to fuck with. They immediately punish anyone that fucks with something they love by reminding them their money is what keeps their companies running. Westerners won't do this, they're willing to lap up a puddle of piss and beg for more if that puddle of piss reminded them of something they once enjoyed.
This is why normalfags always whine about "otaku pandering" in anime and JRPGs. Nips have held the line and kept casual retards out of their hobbies for decades.

Oh, please. It's same shit, different asshole with Japanese otaku faggots.
They're the ones who have allowed DLC to go not just to the extents found in the west, but to absolutely goddamn ridiculous bullshit.

Here's two more images from Ar noSurge. Rated T for Teen.

Not if there's skidmarks on the panties. There is a difference, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

Spoken like a ignorant fucking moron.

businessinsider.com/there-2011-2

Why did they censor Dungeon Travelers 2 again?

The japanese version wasn't censored.

They changed Miki's panties for all regions

Yep American SJWs are contaminating the rest of the world.

Your comment makes no sense. Who do you think buys those dlc? Yep otaku.

It is the fans that bring in the money. Not casuals or normalfags and DEFINITELY not SJWs.

Censoring jrpgs is the stupidest thing a publisher can do.

But SJWism started in yurope.

Yes it was retard.

Oh sure but after age ratings there hasn't been any talk about censorship.

The problem is that publishers want a teen rating from the American rating board.

GTA games are rated 18 in the EU and nobody cares. In fact Rockstar WANTS their games to get that rating because it improves sales. Sadly Walmart in the US refuses to carry adult only stuff.

That's not the issue. The ESRB is not at fault, so don't scapegoat them.

The real problem is that publishers are lazy and greedy pieces of shit. They don't want to even attempt to do an official back and forth with the ESRB, since it costs them money. If they did, chances are incredibly high that they would easily make it to their vaunted T rating with no cuts.

But they don't. It's much easier and "better" to just (self)censor beforehand, so that it's all but guaranteed they get the T-rating on the first pass. This saves them money and time.

I just want another Till the End of Time from Square.