Amateur Game Dev General --- /agdg/

No-drama llama edition

Post progress, critiques, and ask questions. Come check us out at Rizon, in #8/agdg/!
You can also check out >>>/agdg/ for basic questions already answered, or make a thread to keep track of your progress.

And of course,
Just Like Make Game

Other urls found in this thread:

fallingmodulegames.com/DistantBreakoff/
sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/OpenSoundScape
clop.us/clopsource.zip
kongregate.com/games/Kajenx/the-everloom
blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/
forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-tressfx-portation.231425/
kennux.net/wordpress/
collateralds.com/
gdcvault.com/play/1023586/8-Bit-8-Bitish-Graphics
cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-a-low-poly-ninja-game-character-using-blender-part-1--cg-16132
musictheory.net/
mymusicmasterclass.com/blog/music-theory-and-composition-basics-pt-1/
music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/improvization-basics-the-pentatonic-scale--audio-2908
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the point?

What's the point of making games you enjoy? You'll have a game you'll enjoy. Plus most of us here enjoy making games in the first place.
What's the point of climbing a mountain?

The point is the sharp end of the sword.

Because it's there.

Are game aren't there (yet. OK, ever)

there are already too many games'

we dont fucking need anymore

Honestly, I'd like to see more mods.

too bad ill just like make a game and then shill it on Holla Forums

There are too many games to play. There are not too many games that are good.

How would one find appropriate music for a game one is making? I honestly give no shit about stealing shit.

I need music that's appropriate to a slow, retro-esque game set in a cold war ICBM launch facility.

Look for an aspiring but still inexperienced musician, befriend him and ask him to work with you.

No, you don't understand.

I want to blatantly steal music that already exists and use that.

I just seriously don't know where to look, 's all.

How can I make something in 3D look cute?
Is there even such a thing as cute 3D?

Low-poly chibi is my fetish

But basically the same way you make something 2D look cute; artistic and character design talent.

Are there any tracks that you've heard when playing that you think are fly?

Use a search engine to learn where to download that music.

Well you could see if you like some parts of the musical score of WarGames.

All sense of cuteness is based on real life traits.

If something can look cute in reality, then something can easily look cute in 3D or 2D as well if you know what traits to focus on and as long as you do a decent enough job at creating it.

GOOD VS BAD

I hope you're taking notes

Get a music guy to make it for you then steal it from yourself.

since were on the topic of 3d modeling
is there a guide to gitting gud so i can model hot grills or is it just trying untill i get better?

Not a character designer, but I always read that you should work on both, your 2d (drawing) and 3d (sculpting) skills simultaneously.
Again, I don't do characters, but hard-surface modeling, but I still see how those two skills are the foundation for making your own wank material.

For hot grills you might be better off doing sculpting than classic 3D modelling, that's how the models in were made. A lot of the attractiveness of those pictures comes from how rounded and pliable-looking they are.
But yeah, it's probably mostly just trying until you get better.

There are all sorts of useful guides and it's generally a really good idea to read them because of how many different functions most 3D programs have.

I bought a book which was really damn good and it helped me a lot during a relatively short time. Conventional 3D modelling is a logical activity and benifits from people who can plan and think ahead but it cannot hurt to know a few things about anatomy, especially if you're sculpting.

But experience is definitely an important part since over time you will learn all sorts of tricks to make the modelling process more efficient and faster.

I'm gonna watch that movie for inspiration.

It's been a while since I've watched it.

Since I can't think of which one I want to do, I'll let you guys pick. I'll probably only get started over summer when classes are done though, but at least I'll have something to work towards.

Idea one: your an npc in some shitty indie game made by some hack. The world fucks up because the creator can't code for shit, so the point is to go around fixing the world so it can be in good enough shape to play. The end boss would be the creator himself not wanting you to release the game onto the Internet because he is egotistical and wishes to change it to fit his world view but really just wants cash new game plus would be to actually play the game you went out to fix. I feel this would be a turn based rpg.

Idea two: you are sent to an island for your crimes. On this island is a main town that has big defenses. The problem is this group of female vampires are attacking the town for food and to add women into their group. You are tasked to find out what they are doing before this celestial event and stop them. This could be by killing them all, sneaking in and destroy the source of the problems, or use magic to blend in and get close enough and take over the group so they don't attack. The leader was a crazy chick who got cheated on, so now she is trying to tap into some old goddess power to make the vampires able to walk in the day and finally take the town. You only get a limited amount of days. I don't know what type of gameplay would be for this.

Idea three: the god of the world decides to attack the world. You are a soldier who picks up one of the Holy weapons the god's forces use that didn't seem to break. You then use this weapon to fight your way to the god of the world. Depending on how well you do throughout the game would determine the end fight. It would either be an extremely unfair fight that would end in self sacrifice, killing him and taking over the reigns as god of the planet, or teaming up with the god so you can put back the elder God to sleep. Probably plays like bayonetta or games like that.

Idea 4:there are various kingdoms of harpies in the region. You are trying to Unite them under one rule for some reason I can't really decide. Maybe to save some deity's life or just because you feel you can do it. The various kingdoms are various types of harpy, from crow to hummingbird to Bald eagle. Each one specializes in a different field of fighting, different economy, different morals, and different environments to fight on. There are also different relationships between the kingdoms, so choosing your inital allies will affect the game. Probably play like fire emblem, xcom, or a mixture of both. I mostly had this idea because I wanted to make an overly patriotic Bald eagle harpy.

If you need more detail on some of the ideas I can give it. If the idea was already done, tell me so I don't accidently do it.

I feel like instead of focusing on making a fun dev, you're more focused on talking shit about other devs with this one

Mechanics or bust. You're not writing a book, you're making a game.

This is your first game, right? If so this one is way too ambitious. I like the idea though

This one seems okay, not too ambitious, and at least you have an idea for gameplay.

Whoops, meant to say "instead of focusing on making a fun game"

I'm in the process of designing a bear race for a game I'm making slow progress on. I don't know if I really like the "teddy bear" look or not.

Pick the game with the mechanics you are most capable of implementing, or if you don't yet know your limits, pick the one with the simplest mechanics.

Holy fuck user, you're a godsend. We need more bears in vidya. What's the game about?

That looks really cool.

Yeah the first one was kind of an old idea, around when I got burned by some shitty indie devs, so I thought to make it a bad boss. Maybe I'll make it just some dev who couldn't finish the game and in the end fights you to test whether the game is worth releasing. I had the idea of making it deal with various possible bugs, such as falling through floors, texture errors affecting characters, appearenses, and areas not being completed. I also had the idea that you would visit an old world of a previous game the dev tried to make, like some future theme where you partner up with a cyborg. Enemies would probably be corrupted npcs, bugs in the game, random viruses (not actual viruses, but just a harder enemy that could show up randomly in battle), with the bosses being components of building a game. It would probably have the enemies be on the map instead of random encounters. To access new areas you would have to build parts to reach there with tools you get from the bosses.

For the vampire one, I thought it more to be about getting information in the game to find out about the plans. You would then use that info to determine which approach would be the best to stop the events. I may need to work on this idea later, since it may be too complex for a first timer.

The third idea I knew would be too hard to work on. I just liked the idea of teaming up with some jackass of a god to fight some giant elder god.

The forth one was honestly just thought up a few days ago, but seems the most thought out in terms of gameplay. I don't think story would be too big of a thing, maybe some lore would be added to explain the kingdom relationships, but it is more about gameplay than doing some waifu emblems type of thing. In terms of actual battles and how kingdoms would act I got a good idea for, but the only thing I have an issue on is determining how fights would initiate. Maybe it will be some form of territory system.

For the simplest it would probably be idea one with idea four behind it. Though I find the idea for 4 more fun, so I may go with that. It feels like the one I could put a lot of detail into idea 4 without needing much in terms of writing.

An artificial-life, voxel-based physics sandbox with floating point calculations for 3 body problem :^)

It's barely even started, but I'd like to make an ARPG similar to the 3D Zeldas, but taking a lot of inspiration from the heavily modded versions of Morrowind/Oblivion I enjoyed playing as a teenager. I know the scope will be pretty ridiculous for one person, but if I at least get a working protoype I'd like to see where I can go from there.

Thanks mang.

Btw, which one of these designs do you guys like better?

I actually kind of prefer this one, looks less cartoony. Make him walk on four legs and it'll be perfect.

why fucking live

I like this one more. More bear-like.

I know that feel. I'm just making a game while using free assets atm, even if it looks dumb.

What would be the best engine for an actual roguelike?
Godot?

Roguelike.

Also the game functions in n spacial dimensions (the exact number is set by the player in the settings).

why fucking live

Why everyone solo, produce a proof of concept and attract an artist from here.

Just like find programmer that you can get along with and make game

if you think you'd be good at designing giant (western) robots doing giant things that'd be real fuckin nito

That's what friends are there for user. Now get some discipline and organize with others.

Practice makes perfect, always use reference, most importantly, never give up, if you don't give up you can sit in pipeline like me.

Now kiss.

i was working with a 3D artist and a sound designer but it fell apart because we couldn't find a concept artist that could draw what we needed

How is the gun placement here? Too big? Too high?

too much right

just like make game

Lads I've bitten off more than I can chew.

My aim was to use stream encryption as a mechanism to simulate potential power generation in a game where your entire computer is turned into a spaceship, i.e. you'd utilize your hardware to encrypt and decrypt pseudo-random strings and the physical capacity of your different system resources - everything on your motherboard - would determine what sort of software you could build for your 'ship' (stronger "shield" generation, more accurate tracking, more complex subsystems, stronger weapons, larger capacitors, whatever you could design).

What I want requires a level of technical knowledge I'm not familiar with to the extent I can't tell where to begin; all I do know is that it involves ncurses in a terminal environment for an interactive graphical front end.

I wanted to design a game where the player has the ability to build a custom ship design from the ground up. All I would do is give a set of shared standards between two players to allow their ships to interact - a game world with its 'physics'. The players would be encouraged to learn everything about their OS to get the most for what their ship does, so that when they blast each other, it's like a living simulation scaled down.

I wish someone would fucking walk me through the thinking part of this so I can get some ground covered and stop going in circles.

use a chainsaw to make smaller pieces.

Better?

Why am I still calling myself an aspiring dev? I can't do anything for shit. I can't even make a bullet look like it comes out of a gun. All I can do is hobble together code I find from tutorials and threads, I feel like a piece of shit.

We're all shit early on.
You should've seen my rpg maker 2000 games 13 years ago.

I could make a game, but no one will tell me a good 3d game engine to base my games off of.

Urho3D
Panda3D
Daemon (modified idTech 3 engine used in Unvanquished)
OpenSceneGraph
Tesseract nightly builds have better performance and neat shit like volumetric lighting
RBDOOM3-BFG
Torque3D

ioquake3 seems like the best bet for me, but documentation is slim to none

is godot any good

yes and no.
Gscript is so easy someone like me who have always struggled with code can program with.
at the same time the 3d parts seems to be underdeveloped right now

Really fucking sucks. It's got a GPL license as well, so you'd think it'd have more interest.

Godot is for 2D.
If you want 3D beyond very basic shit(think Disgaea) you'll be waiting for godot
At least that's what I heard/saw.

Godot can't even import a skinned mesh. That alone should disqualify it.

I'm obviously mediocre at all of them but I feel more satisfied and eventually I'll be jack of all trades, master of some

Pirate indie games.

IMO as long as your "dream game" isn't a big budget 3D game, you should go for it. Reduce the tasks into separate ones, and focus on them one by one. You'll never learn to make your dream game by making pong over and over again.

You need a lot of determination though, it may be depressing if you seem to be moving at snail pace and never seem to get closer to finishing it. You'll also probably have to redo everything multiple times. On second thought maybe it's not the best idea. But that's how I like to work; go straight for my dreams and do the best I can until I get depressed and give up and then repeat later.

thanks

Holy shit are they ever. I'm using it and it's not even possible yet to make a rigidbody character controller. It just doesn't have the same functionality that their kinematicbody class supports.

It also seems to have really underdeveloped 3D collision detection. Some things don't even work at all yet from what I can tell, such as colliding a custom 3D collision shape with another custom 3D collision shape. The engine just acts like it didn't happen, though colliding a custom shape against any supplied primitive works fine (most of the time, though it also has a bad tendency of bodies pushing into other collision shapes- especially noticeable with rigid bodies seemingly sinking into a floor momentarily after falling.

I hope they make some progress on this soon, because god damn. It could be great but it's clearly unfinished.

It absolutely can. What have you been smoking?

From what I've heard Godot can basically summed up as Open Source Unity, but worse.

and this

Looks good my man

Your first projects are gonna be basic bitch shit and you're just gonna have to get over that.
My first projects were a top-down ARPG in GameMaker that was barely functional. No items, no pause screen, start screen or inventory screen. The thing could barely do room transitions. The thing felt like it was held together by duct tape.
then I did the roll-a-ball tutorial from Unity, no biggie there. Simple intro to C#
then the SHMUP tutorial from Unity until I got to the part where the videos were so out of date it was impossible to finish. Even the updated code people left in the comments was no good because those comments were out of date.
And now I've got a professional programmer friend who's gonna teach me C++ once he's done with his finals exams. Hopefully that'll allow me to move to UE4 and continue to make a few more shitshows before I can finally move on to something that I actually want to create.
This is what becoming a dev is like, and unless you're going to college for computer science, it's gonna be an uphill battle until you have a good 2-3 years of making shit under your belt. 2-3 years of mistakes and learning from them. But that's okay, because it's better to take your time and make video games great again, than to push out a shitty version of your dream game and just contribute to the problem.

That would be fun.

But the thing that's keeping me from actually doing anything is college. Shit's about to end tho, so I'll finally be able to get down to it.

Does anybody have a suggestion how the 2nd resource should be gained? The Credits is done by n minute interjection, assuming the player bought it for only 20 credits. Because for some reason Skullshit decides to make the inventory item not working when it is directly given at spawning.

I could do so that some 2nd resource is gained by salvaging enemy wrecks but what if the Player decides to not use muh custom enemies and instead vanilla enemy appears?

All moves fixed, added camera centering and proper mouse support. Moved camera controls to L2/R2, the right stick is free and ready to be used for extra moves. (and so is square)

user, you should tweak the running animation.

It looks like the killzone characters when they run up stairs in multiplayer.

It's not that simple.

All my collaborations were like shitty one-night stands. We were excited at first but then it was short, half-hearted and neither of us could finish.

When you recenter the camera, don't make it happen in an instant but rather interpolate. Ideally an exponential interpolation, because you don't want the player to have to wait for the camera to recenter before he can play normally again.

The easiest way to get exponential interpolations (not only in Unity, but generally) is to abuse the linear ones. It's the line you see in countless wrong tutorials when they teach you how to perform a linear interpolation:
current = Mathf.Lerp(current, final, Time.deltaTime * someFactor); // Not linear but exponential

You'll want to use Quaternion.Slerp() though. Still, the same syntax.

All interpolation is off for now, except for fov.
No need to teach me how to lerp things. Was going to ask for help on something else but I think I already got it, just gotta use a unit vector to represent the angle instead of eulers. Posting the webm anyway.

Some progress:
*Buy Menu is useable now
-This means the Player can get fully restocked, get ammo and repair himself
*Upgrade menu is in the works

Bugs:
When the player has still the Buy Menu open and the map gets switched he cannot move at all due to certain Item freezing him (I.E it is not removed)

I am not a ACS wizard, well I just need to find how ACS behaves when a map is switched and automatically remove the item.

Of course I need to later test my Mod on MP and see if it everything works properly as in the second player doesn't get fucked over due to primitive ACS

Well I have resource, the first one is Credits and the second one is (High-Value) Metal.

Credits should be easy to get and to keep the Player supplied a bit (since I don't replace any map items anymore)

Metal is a bit more grindy but is also used for Higher tier Items.

So nobody got any idea? Well I guess maybe somekind of a Metal converted that makes metals out of nowhere I guess, manually done, while the Credit is automatically to a certain amount (around 5000 units)

I thought I noticed boob jiggle, If I;m wrong then I think I know what you should invest your time towards

Same here.

check

check

That's the tricky part. They either aren't game-focused in the first place, already get enough of that from work, or have their own projects. Finding programmers who want to work on games but aren't already busy is hard, man.

Hey lads, I'm still looking for artists to help me with item and level modeling. I can take care of that, but my time is quite limited, and I'm already doing the programming.

I still don't have anything significant to show, I've only fixed bugs that were really getting in my way, like aim offset not replicating, and bullets not spawning in the weapon's muzzle.

And I forgot contact information. Either email me to the address in this post or get in #8/agdg/ and ask for ShinyRice.

Most projects are gonna fail unless you have genuine passion or money as a motivator behind it. If you're decent you could probably put your skills as an artist out there and find a stable project to work on. No guarantee it'll be a fun project, though.

Money does nothing for me and the other option has never worked out. I feel like I'm shit out of luck.

You noticed right.

Damn. What a shame.

ah c'mon lemme post nigga

Taunts?

More work on my inventory.

I also did some quite aggressive optimization to make sure that the UI produces no more drawcalls than it needs to and doesn't shit all over the heap. Unity certainly doesn't make it easy to achieve that.

You never know with the amount of crap that passes as "Unity tutorial" on the Internet. From what I see on their forums, not a whole lot of people seem to know that using Time.deltaTime as t in the linear interpolation method stops it from being linear and makes it exponential instead. I don't think it's a clean exponential function though (non-constant base) but it gets the job done for short interpolations.

What's that.

Step back, I'll show you how it's done

(Checked)

Nice get.

i've had a vacation this week, it's a miracle i even touched unity

yeah, im struggling to find motivation. We're close…so close..

I like to follow the progress of everything that goes on here but I'm not going to spend half that time kissing ass just to make sure people feel wanted. Do you think nobody cares or finds your work interesting if you don't get a response? Do we have to give you a pat on the ass every time you add a minor feature?

No, but you could tell him what he could do better for example.

Not saying anything or discouraging people from deving is what made cuckchan's AGDG so fucking awful over the years. All the people posting progress left.

That image imitates cereal boxes that promise toy in every box.
"Snex" is a combination of "snacks" and "ex"

I dont need a hugbox, but at least someone telling me what they think or whatever would be nice. What's the point in coming here if I can't get any feedback

I dont need that, I need just a bit of feedback to keep going. I dont need a god damn hugbox.

Ive managed to find a way to put buildable defenses in the game, by making a newunit class called Buildings, and giving them 0 movement, and letting them attack. So you can build (expensive) artillery batteries with logn range etc. or focus on anti-infantry sniper towers. The workaround is great, I managed to get it working in 30 minutes.

I have imported skinned skeletal animations myself. They work 100% fine. Godot is certainly missing some needed functionalities for 3d games but this is not one of them.

That screencap might be referencing version 1 (Godot is on ver2 stable).

I'd really like to post more, but I spend most of my time working on the backend. It's not really stuff I can post here, because it's the kind of stuff that's not really impressive/exciting but still important and needs to get done.

I'd like to showcase my soundscape system, but that would require me to create more audio assets. The problem here is that last month the headphone jack of my case died and the only alternatives I have are a) shitty Logitech speakers and b) the headphone jack of said shitty speakers that have fucking awful constant background noise. I got myself a cheap, Chinese USB DAC that was supposed to be good, but while the internals amazing for the price, they saved on the build quality of the case and the thing died day one. I'm now waiting for the end of the month to get a Schiit Fulla for twice as much.
I cannot work on the audio until then.

I'd like to give you feedback. But before that you'd have to tell me about your work/what I am looking at.

Then you should've specified that you asked for feedback and didn't get any. I figured you were just doing some shit like "I added a menu, aren't I great?" or something. I like to give feedback but some times there's just nothing to say.

I wouldn't say worse. Its 3D and networking capabilites are just unfinished.

Unity's asset handling made me want to tear my dick off with all its god damn little settings files littered about for each resource, its broken fbx importer that flipped shit whenever I modified the bone count of an armature, and of course the fact it's not FOSS and doesn't run natively on Linux all make me despise Unity.

Is this that one AW clone?

it's advance wars 3; electric boogaloo. Essentially me and a team are working to make a new advance wars game for pc with new units, a new story line, new modes, new worldbuilding etcetera. Progress is going fine…but we're just going on. I'm trying to keep morale up. Have to wait untill our programmer finishes multiplayer

I should have, but I didn't make that clear enough. I'll keep it in mind.

that looks better, but slightly a bit too tilted to the right.

give us the rundown of the game idea, free to play?

Which engine is the game using bruh?
I've been wanting to make some SRPGs.

this is Love, 2d version of lua.

3d pipelines are a world of pain, no matter the engine. The whole bullshit that you can either have y or z as up and that you can either use a "right-hand" or "left-hand" based coordinate system are the reasons for that. Their .fbx importer got a lot better though.
Oh, and it does have a native Linux version now. Still in beta, but you can download it.
The small asset files for each asset are a good idea IMO. I just wish that the options for "forced-text" and "always visible" were turned on by default. They allow you to comfortably work with them in git and other VCS'.

Oh Yes. Weed Encased Boolits.

hmmm 25 seconds at 6,4 MiB. This is not good…

Fucking cunts, I will -NEVER- ever install PulseAudio A.K.A. BugAudio fucking useless piece of shit causes my audio to disable by itself.

I was going to suggest Vokoscreen because it does let you pick your ALSA device, but I tried it just now and I don't get sound either.

I agree the Y-Up/Z-Up differences are idiotic. I wish there was an accepted standard, don't care which. But you can hardly say an unfinished product is "worse" than a finished one when it's still being worked on.

I'm not a developer in the slightest, but I've been toying with the idea for a game.

It's satire of a training program for retail new hires. You have to complete all of the lessons (Safety, Customer Service, Duties) but you can choose to fail, sabotage, or generally mess with the system. It's gives you a virtual store to practice in, and throws scenarios at you. If you get them all right, you get a boring ending. If you choose to get some wrong, you may get an alternate ending (Fake Injury, Rob Store, Arson, etc). It'd mostly be for comedy.

Just felt the need to share this somewhere.

Fuck him. I had to do that some months ago and everything turned out fine.

For real? This happens?

I will never get used to this.

Unfortunately. You benefit so much from learning both that they start stacking on top of each other. Because I learned a good deal of 3D I was able to do perspective well, and studying life models helped me with making models.

Kill me

Why not do what I do and make goofing off and making a game one in the same?

Thread died while I was writing, so I'm posting this here just in case the guy making the Urban Champion remake is in this thread too.

Cute idea. My feedback so far:

Guess I could make a mockup on some of my ideas later, or help with the graphic assets if you are still interested on making this grow.

Hey AGDG
any one working on vr games right now

if not

great idea

MAKE FUCKING BLACK & WHITE FOR VR FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY

it is so obvious to me that it would be the perfect game for vr it hurts

the Click & drag movement method is perfect for PC vr i don't know why no one uses it

i got some homework
i have a class with a dynamic array
it needs to be able to add an element to the the end of the array, and to be able to remove the first element
adding elements works
but removing them just gives me some huge number for the first element
void enque(T Element) { //a copy of p T *q = new int[size]; for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) { q[i] = p[i]; } //p becomes a new list, with 1 more element p = new T[size + 1]; //paste all of p's old elements for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) { p[i] = q[i]; } //assign the new element to p p[size] = Element; size++; } void deque() { T *q = new T[size - 1]; //copies list from second element to the last one //this way the first element is excluded for (int i = 1; i < size; i++) { q[i] = p[i]; } p = q; size--; }

oh nevermind, was supposed to do q[i-1]=p[i]

fallingmodulegames.com/DistantBreakoff/

Here's some input on your current solution:
T *q = new T[num]; // Happens on the heap
What this line does, in detail, is allocate enough memory for »num« elements of T and return the pointer to the first.
So when you call
p = new T[size + 1]
you're NOT overwriting p with an array that is bigger by one. p is just a pointer to the first element of the newly created array. By assigning something new to p, you leave the old values untouched, or in other words: You're creating a completely new array somewhere else on the heap and overwrite your pointer to the old one, leaving its data completely inaccessible.
I will give you some solutions at the end of this post, but you should try to figure it out yourself first. Here's one tip though:
The enque() function should only contain one single for-loop.

Bear in mind that malloc/new and free/delete are »extremely« slow. What happens once you reach the limit of your queue, is that you allocate a new array every single time you add something. That's not how you're supposed to do that.

In C/C++ variables have no default value.
// Your headerSomeclass *ptr; // Is NOT NULL! (or nullptr, if you're using C++11 or higher)int num; // is NOT zero!
Variables are just pieces of memory and what they contain »before« you assigned something to them for the first time or »after« you freed the resource, is completely unpredictable. It's can change every time you run your application.

———————
———————
———————WARNING SOLUTIONS AHEAD

enque(): After creating a copy of p, you have to delete[] the old one before creating a new array with »size + 1« elements.
deque(): Same story, before assigning a new value to p, you need to delete[] the old data.

What you do:

Why not:

Same thing, just one for-loop.

As said earlier, allocating (and freeing) resources on the heap is slow as fuck. The way every standard library (C, C++, C#, Java, you name it) handles it is by doubling the size of the array every time it grows. It's the space-time trade-off. Your solution doesn't waste any memory but is extremely CPU intensive. Nowadays memory is worth far less than CPU cycles in most cases.

That was the first thing. The other is that you don't address the array physically, but logically. What this means is that rather than saying "The next element in the queue is always at arr[0]", you define the beginning and end of your queue yourself. After returning the element at arr[0], the next element is at arr[1]. This of course means that once you have written an element at arr[last], you don't need to increase the size of the array just yet, because at arr[0] a slot is now free.You make your array cyclic.
In case you haven't done that before: You don't need any ifs/elses for that, just the modulo operator. See if you can figure it out by yourself.
You need to keep track of three values:
Once you do need to increase the capacity of your queue, it makes sense to reset everything. Copy your arrays in a way that readHead is arr[0]. Makes it easier to debug.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, ask away.

Just to prevent confusion.
That means that you're supposed to address the array logically, if you want a good implementation. You're doing it physically right now.

I don't just agree, I've seen it happen. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to hire a programmer, and quite honestly I stay pretty busy as an artist just trying to do art to pay my own bills. So short of getting much less poor quickly, I'd have to not just find a programmer, but a programmer united by passion for the same things I am. (Not that the programmer has to do what I want, but if they don't have similar passion then I'd have no interest in their project either.) And well, I sure haven't found that programmer yet.

I just wanna do colorful, absolutely not gritty game art in roughly the stylistic neighborhood of classic Capcom and old pre-Squeenix Squaresoft, is that so much to ask? It doesn't have to be my own game ideas as long as it's not a genre I hate and the art direction is what I enjoy.

If you want feedback here's my thinking:
Are you sure it's a good idea to implement turrets as a unit? After all, they are buildings. A building that can shoot, sure, but still a building. Class hierarchies are intended to reflect the nature of objects in the world. A cat is an EntityLiving, a hat is an EntityWearable, a nigger is an EntityPrimitive etc. If you start breaking that by having cases where you can't discern the nature of an object by inspecting it's ancestry, you'll enter a painful world of if statements where every little thing needs to be aware of and enumerate all the exceptions from the trivial case.

Consider the case of an isbuilding() function. If you made it simple you'd just have to scan it's class hierarchy and check if building is one of it's ancestors (in Lua I guess you'd have to create a convention whereby an objects metatable stores references to other metatables it inherits from, so you just follow that trail until _mt["ClassName"] == "Building"). But if there's an exception to that rule, as is the case for turrets, you need to first scan the hirerarchy and if that fails check if the unit type is "Turret" (or however you implement it). That might seem like a small addition, but add a dozen or so such exceptions and you've got quite a messy code base. Add another few dozen and it's an unmaintainable pile of spaghetti.

Of course, whatever works works and usually you shouldn't overthink these things unless you have a concrete case of a more robust system being used. If this is really a one time thing and you're almost done with the code anyways it's fine. No nontrivial code is 100% free from dirty hacks. But if you have plans for more stuff that might end up getting hacked in in a similar fashion then do reconsider.

Also, this still apply even if you're not doing explicit OOP. All vidya code is at least a little OOP, in the sense that there are objects with identity and if that's the case my argument stands. Lacking inheritance just means that you should consider creating a dedicated type for the turret, with some code taken from units, some taken from buildings. Though cases like these are the reason OOP was invented. Shared (or rather deferred) behaviour is one of the cornerstones of OOP.

I too want you to showcase your soundscape system. I don't suppose you can 'acquire' some placeholser assets from somewhere? Like say sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/

There is something in her model that is bothering me… maybe the thorax is too tall?

Is it only me that have to fill 9999 captchas to post?
I even fucking had to change browsers

The problem is that I need to edit sounds one way or another. You rarely find sounds that are perfect from the get-go.
I own a pair of AKG K550s which are a) closed back yet b) very detailed and c) easy to drive. I barely fucking use them at the moment, because as soon as I plug them in it's just
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
It's driving me mad.

That being said, the soundscape system is one of my open source Unity assets (MIT license).
gitgud.io/TheSniperFan/OpenSoundScape

When the captcha gives you an error, even if you are absolutely sure that you entered it correctly. Press F5 once. I think it might be a caching issue. It probably displays an old one after the error message, but expects another input.

it's not giving an error, it says success, and still don't let me post

Weird. Never had that.
Say, you don't have that old workaround script from Holla Forums still in your user JS, don't you?
Shouldn't use it anymore.

Pick up an engine and get crackin'

that could be it, but will take a while for me to test

Pretend you're holding a pistol in your hands, aiming straight ahead. Notice how you can see your arms? It looks lot more natural if you pull the camera back a bit more.

You have to be careful though. IRL you have a WAY higher field of view than in front of your monitor. Still, those obnoxiously large guns some games have are ridiculous.

Idea guy here,

How about a VR racing game where it actually feels like you're going 300mph and you're in the cockpit of a podracer.

But here's the catch: YOU engineer the entire hardware of the engines you use through a scripting mechanism that gives you pseudo-assembly-tier access to how your engines work. All you're really doing is modifying the control scheme for the production of a bunch of floating points and doubles. But there's more! Because YOU design the engine, YOU can set up the control responsiveness and scheme how you like. You can plug in two moues - TWO COMPUTER MICE, next level stuff - where the dpi movement of one mouse responds to the thrust level of an engine. The game works with machine-level access to kernel modules and is built atop Unreal Engine 4™, utilizing the raw power of Unreal Engine Technology™.

The game also implements a bitcoin betting system with links to all major wallet providers.

I think I'm EA ready™

To clarify, you script the engines of your racer, not the engine of the game.

If I hold my hand in a pistol shape in a hipfire position I can just barely see my index finger at the bottom of my FoV. If I hold them in an ADS position, my arms cover some of my lower FoV, but it's not really noticeable since I'm focusing into the distance anyway. I'd say it makes sense to have a big model while aiming and a small or no model when not. It depends on how the character is holding the weapon. If he's really holding it at the hip it should be nearly invisible, while if he's got it up against the shoulder but a little to the side it should be fairly big.

In fact, that could even be a mechanic. You choose how you hold it and depending on stance you get various accuracy/vision/ADS delay tradeoffs.

I can't tell if you're posting serious game ideas or just doing some next-level shitposting. Either way, pick up an OSVR, pick up an engine and get crackin'

Both. I had a look at an OSVR, I'm not sure the preliminary support / early production build quality warrants the cheap price. The vive maxes out at 2100+ in resolution, while OSVR comes behind the rift. Any VR tech that utilizes UE4 with frame shifts that exceed a certain speed, I think, will cause players to experience the same issues -90fps VR has (motion sickness ecetera).

That being said, fuck implementing a scripting language. And UE4. You need a +8gb memory system to compile the fucker and at least an i5

This is my rifle's position, and it's based off of seeing how people actually hold rifles. Not just that, but my camera is located right where the character's right eye is. The FOV is 105 degrees.

Stop baiting, fam.

I think you'll need to move it a little to the right. Look at the thumbnail, and you'll see that the bullets would fly too far to the left at that angle.

Try building it on Scheme.

right, turns out my task earlier was supposed to be a stack, not an array
however, after i've slapped the second list onto the first one, the deconstructor gives an error
that's presumably because, the second stack has been deleted first
and the first one (that has elements of the second one in it) starts trying to delete already deleted nodes
that causes an error
and just checking top==nullptr or top==NULL doesn't work
wat do
#includeusing namespace std;template struct Node { T data; Node *next; Node *previous; Node(T _data, Node *_next = nullptr, Node *_previous = nullptr) : data(_data), next(_next), previous(_previous) {}};template class Tail { Node *top; Node *bottom; int size; void clear() { while (!isEmpty()) { cout data next = new Node(currOther->data); curr = curr->next; currOther = currOther->next; } bottom = other.bottom; } }public: Tail() { top = nullptr; bottom = nullptr; size = 0; } Tail(const Tail& other) { copy(other); } Tail& operator=(const Tail& other) { if (this != &other) { clear(); copy(other); } return *this; } ~Tail() { clear(); } int getSize() const { return size; } bool isEmpty() const { return top == nullptr; } T getBottom() const { return bottom->data; } void push(const T element) { Node *temp = new Node(element, nullptr, nullptr); if (isEmpty()) { bottom = temp; top = temp; } else { temp->previous = top; top->next = temp; top = temp; } size++; } void pop() { Node *temp = bottom; if (size > 1) { bottom = bottom->next; } delete temp; size--; } void print() { Node *curr = bottom; while (curr != nullptr) { cout data next; } cout next = other.bottom; top = other.top; size += other.size; }};int main(){ Tail tail; tail.push(5); //tail.push(4); // cout

Just because my ideas are better than yours.

I think she looks pretty good. If there's any issue, it's that she's on the border of really leggy in a good way and just plain too leggy. I might have balanced her total mass out slightly more evenly were it my call.

I'd definitely MUCH RATHER see too little of the gun than too much of it. First person games where your weapons take up too much of your view are very annoying, weirdly enough I just managed to play two in a row.

Is your task specifically creating a stack based on a linked list data-structure or are you just supposed to implement "a stack"?
Stacks are usually done as arrays too. Makes more sense in the most cases.

yeah, they're supposed to be linked
all the stack needs to have is a pointer to the top and bottom

I want to fuck that llama

Progress Report:
I am currently doing some 3D tilemap editor, the catch is that this will be some very easily moddable one (hopefully)
Currently I have finished the prototype for the tileset window, it have all of the minimum necessary functionality that an tileset selector should have. This will possibly morph into the whole thing, rather than making separate windows for each functionality

Unfortunately I have not yet managed to get those tile previews to draw into a image, and then draw the image, currently, they are Editors that are drawn on top of the buttons. And these are very slow to draw (if you are using your motherboard graphics card, like I am)

Current Features:
* Load all assetbundles in the streamingassets folder.
* For each gameobject inside the assetbundle, create a selectable button

Planned Features:
* Decals, Detail Objects
* Material Selection
* Events (RPGmaker Style)

Lad, I've made sure that my weapon positioning is exactly parallel to where the camera's pointing at. As well as actually trying to shoot visible projectiles. They all go from the weapon's muzzle and straight down the middle of the screen. I can't post any videos here, but I will, eventually. Many other FPSs have this sort of shit, where it looks like bullets will go leftward look at battlefield 3/4, some of those weapons' positions look like they will make rounds go to the left quite a bit, it's a perspective thing.

There isn't a battlefield 3/4

Battlefield 3 OR Battlefield 4. Come on, fam. You know what I mean.

Made the Searchlight a tad bit more smoother, based on bullets/puffs instead of projectiles. I hope the 6 puffs it spawns won't cause heavy drags, also the ACS is called very 4 frames or so, well delay(4); .

So when turning around it is not that smooth.

It pisses me off that I need ACS at all for such a fucking simple item…

what if she's just not 2D enough for it?

Much better, it doesn't strain my eyes anymore. Great job user.

I rate your dubs 9/11.

Great, when the Search Light lags behind it doesn't strain your eye either?

It looks a tad weird, but it's not eye straining like it was last thread (or the one before?). I think it was mainly the very obvious flickering that made it hurt my eyes.

Good, so the issue was only the flickering.

It was the one before.

Well for now I am going to leave the ACS part on it as it is, I will need to do anyway later some heavy multiplayer testing to ensure no major bugs are found.

I fixed today 3 bugs that I had which were all multiplayer related, through i did so by hosting a server and connecting to it 2x times and messing around.

2 of the bugs was Buy Menu related,only 1 player could use it and the player is frozen when the map is changed when his buy menu is still open.

The other one was that search light switching affected all players instead of the one who used it.

So I guess the bugs I could find is probably performance/missing packages related.

The thought had crossed my mind. Things not looking as good in 3D as 2D does happen.

ah, the teacher explained it
when i connect the two lists, i'm supposed to copy the elements, not reference them
that way when i'm deconstructing stuff, i don't end up deleting the same element twice, it's different ones with the same data

I tried out sculpting today. I don't think I did too badly for the first try.

And before anyone bothers, I know the proportions are odd and that she's huge. It's intentional.

Only two I'm aware of are Flash and Unity.
I imagine it as a 2D game, which would work better?

T-Rex tier wymyn tbh.

You serious, nigga?
Unity of course. Like all sufficiently complex pieces of software, Unity has its flaws, but Flash is the Chernobyl of modern computing. Somebody fucked up big time many years ago and we still cannot get rid of it.

Haven't put much into the arms yet but I will.

Funnily enough she turned out a bit different than I imagined. I'm starting to think I'm better at sculpting than drawing.

g-gonna post a-an update, e-even if no one c-cares

Yeah you're just really shit at drawing, and character design

Nah, I think I'm ok.

user…

Looks good, but the names not being readable is unfortunate. You could fix this with tooltips.

No, you aren't. She looks too flat and lacks depth, not to mention her skeleton would not make sense.

Eh, that's true.

Don't really care though since the thing is several months old, unfinished and wasn't meant to be shown to anyone anyway.

Design is a somewhat basic but I'm not trying to outdo DMC anyway.

The only language I know is python, but I can't find anything to just like make a game with it.

I'm too worried my game is actually bad to shill it. What if people actually bought it?

Pygame

I mean something with an interface like unity
Or something that I can use to make 3d games

Be honest about shilling it, provide a demo and ask what people think.

Hey, unity has an interface like unity!

what do you mean

I am strongly implying you should use unity

Hey, buddy, your English is shit!

but it doesnt use python

blander game engine you fucking philistine

Just find an engine that lets you use a scripting language. It's not hard to use Lua, and you can pick it up doing Love2D tutorials.

But isn't it just a meme and focused on making shitty animations?

Lads I'll sell you my ideas.

15 a pop.

Both Godot and Panda3D use python.
Panda3D is much more developed in terms of its 3D toolset (hence the name) while Godot has a mature dedicated 2D toolset with a 3D toolset in development. Previously mentioned pygame does exist but it's not quite as beginner friendly as Godot is for 2D.

If you're looking for something easy to at with, I suggest Godot for 2D, but if you're serious about making a 3D game I'd have to suggest Panda3D, at least for now.

Both engines allow using C++ for performance boosts for critical areas of code, though Panda3D's documentation and tutorials are quite bare bones. Godot has a decent number of 2D tutorials for beginners while its 3D documentation is barely even begun, since the 3D portion of the engine isn't finished.

Cheers fag, hope this helped some

I hate to ask this question but I'm asking anyway.
First game, what do I make?
I know a little Game Maker and Unreal 4 but I have no fucking clue what to start with to get better.

You start with basic shit. I started with making a ball roll around and collect coins in Unity(I'm sure it could translate to UE4 just fine).
Or start with some basic shit like pong.
Some devfag once told me "Never start with your dream game in mind. Start with your 3rd or 4th game in mind."
Do tutorials you find on YouTube. And then challenge yourself with increasingly complex games. Go from Pong to Pac-Man to Super Mario Bros to Super Mario World to Super Mario 64. And then go to whatever you want.
Obviously those are just examples but it's a good example of the leaps in complexity you should take.
Take my project for example. I want to make a platform fighter. So I start with learning the engine, then I make a simple platformer, and I just keep redoing it(Starting new projects from scratch as I learn more efficient code) adding more each time until I get to the point where I can make what I actually want. Then I'm free to go do it.

Do you have a project in mind or do you just want to get better? You could follow tutorials and then do some easy-to-program games like a turn-based RPG or platformer.

translating a tutorial from one engine to another is a great way to teach yourself how to help yourself in that engine

Alright, thanks.

I am an aspiring, yet still inexperienced musician (or rather, relatively new to composing complete songs) and I came in here mainly to shill.

I work for free and have a pretty good work ethic.

Thanks, I know to start with basic shit but I didn't know what shit to start with. I'll probably try a make a simple coin collecting game in game maker since I'm more familiar with it.

Anyone want to run a nation-sim browser game in PHP/SQL? I've released the source code to mine. Do what you want.
clop.us/clopsource.zip

Fuck off you piece of shit.

How to do this pseudo 3d?
Everything i found is about isometric view.
Im using game maker studio.

I really want to learn how to make this effect on the trees like this game does:

kongregate.com/games/Kajenx/the-everloom

That's just parallaxing. There's guides all over the internet for pretty much every engine, and I'm sure there's one for Game Maker. The basic idea is that the higher the layer is (and thus the closer to the camera it is), the faster it moves.

how to make roguelike gaem?

Hey, I have been out out of the loop for more then a few years and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what is the go to modeling software? I left the video game industry to make more money elsewhere but I have had a desire to start making games on side. Back when I made games 3ds Max was the go to software however I imagine that might of changed and I figure I would ask before I shell out a few thousand.

A lot of indie devs use Blender.

Zbrush is the de-facto high resolution sculpting program.

I'm pretty sure Maya is the current industry standard, but most amateur devs use Blender since it's free as in freedom. I'd say you should at least give Blender a whirl before thinking about shelling out any money.

Programmers always need art too, so tit for tat. Just takes more work/sacrafice.

update, although it only works for the Y axis for now

so snap map advanced? :^)

Make more prototypes we can art for then. I don't see enough games that I'd want to work on.

it will be an 3D tilemap editor, sure you could make tilemaps by just snapping shit together at 1x intervals, but fuck that, gonna make an editor

I am trying to make some sort of megaman legends spiritual successor, if you want to make android waifus, I will need a lot of them

i'm learning how to draw, if you guys want model sheets or character concept drawn, feel free to ask

Well, I only have rough ideas for some of the characters of my game at the moment, so maybe in future, if you don't give up.
Have some feedback instead.

The fedora-tipper on the left is the one I like most of all the ones you've drawn. His right leg is a bit weird and his right foot/shoe is cheap, but it's solid otherwise (barring the right shoulder where your lines aren't "clean"). (Always talking from their perspective FYI)
The guy on the right seems to have a) a perfectly flat, little skewed head and b) two arms of differing length. The way the sleeves are shaped (applies to both) is off.

When looking at pic 2 it becomes clear that you should look into anatomy a little bit more (Hips/Legs in particular).

tl;dr

Hope this helps you somehow.

Small tip regarding the workflow:
You really should make the tiles independent of their orientation. Right now it looks like you have each shape 4 times; Once facing every direction. Don't do that.
Having to click back and forth between the menu and the scene view to make a room is inefficient and takes way more time than just selecting a wall, placing it x times, hitting the rotate hotkey and just keep placing them. Besides that it litters the tile selection with 4 times as many tiles as necessary so it will make it harder to find what you're searching.

That fractal text.
It's beautiful.
Can it be automated?

I am fresh out of ideas for clothing for my game, so it'd be fantastic if you could draw some. My game is set in 2060, and I'm not asking for anything in particular, just clothing that would be worn casually in that year.

Or, if you want to try your hand at something more exotic, I've also planned for the inclusion of an isolation (probably able to withstand vacuum, and other shit) and a ghillie suit. As I said, I haven't thought of anything to define them visually yet, so go wild.

Creator here.
Probably, if you're into programming those kinds of things. I created it by hand with InkScape.

I've been thinking about the pros and cons of that.

When I decided to replicate all of the 4 rotations, I was considering the previous json-based editor using tiled. Now that this is an in-unity-editor editor, I can properly rotate them. Gonna do that when I get the time

And right now, I've been considering these, but 3D:
blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

Looking for someone proffeshonal.

do you want anyone who doesn't use nvidia to hate you?

I don't think I've ever seen a game that uses cloth instead of rigidbody chains or baked animation.

that looks like barbed wire

Different person, but does it work well with 3DS Max? Because that's what I have currently.

Regardless, I really gotta get on board the sculpting train, it's basically required these days. But first I need some sculpting software. Preferably for free, money's very tight right now. And man, would a basic tutorial aimed at people already experienced with the pre-sculpting pipeline be nice. Box modeling, unwrapping, texturing, rigging, animating, I've done it all time and again, I don't need it all explained from scratch. I'd just like to know where sculpting fits in with the previous routine, how it changes the other steps, that sort of thing.

Someone started porting TressFX (AMD's version of Hairworks that doesn't happen to run shit on cards of the other vendor) to Unity. It's free and open source.
Might want to look into it.

Applies to you (>>9276006) too. TressFX looks just as good as Hairworks and performs good on ALL platforms, not just Nvidia ones.

Links:
forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-tressfx-portation.231425/
kennux.net/wordpress/

Haven't tried it myself though.

Fucking link broke.

And that's how you get weapon ideas.

are there any videos of that? i can't tell much from just images

For TressFX in general? Lots of it.
For this particular port? You'd have to email the developer.

i want to fuck robo waifu

So apparently DES encryption is actually quite a symbol arrangement of key and plaintext permutations stacked into a system of substitutions and a transposition, repeated X times with round keys.

I'm breaking it into pieces, lads.

Ah.

How many chain links is her hair? I have to make hair that reaches all the way down to her fucking knees.

Also, glad to see you got the important things covered.

Posting this one weird ass bug before I fix it.
For some reason, a boundary between two brushes is treated like a stair. But only every other frame. And only with some brushes.

Cool, but it's infected with GPL. And not in a "let's protect the user's freedoms" way, but literally in a "pay with your own code" way.

It's just two joints.

So you want one with BSD Licenses? :^⁾

Absolutely disgusting.

I wonder just how much our definitions of "reasonable" will diverge.

I don't have much money so a purchase needs to be really worth it for me to consider. Substance was one; Couldn't work without it.

If you manage to fix it, please tell me what happened and how you did. I have a issue that might be related.
When I walk over the boundaries of meshes, my character's camera sometimes "falls" down a little bit. It's really subtle because I'm making a first person game, but I haven't been able to fix it yet.
IIRC the last time I checked it had something to do with the normals just at the boundaries.

The bug is related to my own grounding code that uses a cone sweep to treat stairs as if they were slopes. The fix probably won't be of any use to you.

I suppose your problem might be an edge returning a normal different than the face, and your movement doing something with that normal. (such as projecting velocity on the ground plane)

Another possible cause would be a gap caused by vertices that don't line up. Floats have only so much precision, so a T-junction like pic related might create a tiny crack because the vertex can't lay perfectly on the line it's supposed to touch. In that case you'd either have to account for gaps in the code, or make sure your geometry is always airtight.

Damn.
I treat stairs as slopes too, but do it on a lower level.
I wrote an Unity plugin that takes a GameObject and generates an optimal collider from it using the name. Using a predefined naming convention it detects that an object is a box and then puts a BoxCollider on it, rather than a MeshCollider (which are really fucking slow). So my approach is to have the visible and the physics geometry be two completely separate entities.
Using the meshes you use for rendering to do physics is a really, really bad idea more often than not. It's not only very inefficient, but also prone to glitches due to the discrete nature of physics engines.

I'll go with a (mostly) airtight geometry solution. The bug is »really« subtle and doesn't happen all the time. So long I don't make my floors consist of a bazillion small pieces, I'll be fine.

I really haven't checked that closely into what's going on with 3D software piracy for a good while, but in the past that stuff always took keygens to get things going and running those always seemed sketchy to me. Who knows what they're doing while giving you a key.

But hey, if someone knows of a good reliable source for Zbrush, preferably without need for a keygen, I'd be all over that action.

I am not sure of this since I'm not a graphics guy, but I always hear artists talking about cgpeers, a private tracker that is closed off from registration most of the time. I know they have a lot of tutorial shit, but I'd wager they also carry software.There's a thread on >>>/agdg/15813 where they keep track of when it's open for registration, might be the 15th of every month.

The GPL isn't compatible with Unity's license anyways, so technically no one can use it.

Yeah, I remember that there was something like this.
If you told him, he'd probably use some other bullshit license though. Gotta make that money off AMD's work.

i dont know what the consequences of being caught are if you get caught selling something that you made with pirated software.

That's my reason. I don't want to find out tbh. Of all the people in the world, those fucking lawyers are the last ones I want to have to deal with.

Well, the other is that I've been fine with free alternatives so far. Blender get's the job done (for me) and so do GIMP and Paint.net, although I'll need GIMP 2.10 sooner or later. Things will get difficult, if I cannot edit my 16 bit normal maps by hand. Currently saving them in GIMP destroys them.
So far the only things I have bought for my game were an HRTF library for Unity, which I cannot implement myself because I'm not a fucking expert on physics and acoustics and Substance Live which is really worth it and has a great license model for poorfags like myself.

I've also gotten a supersampling asset when it was on sale for 5 bucks I think. I might be a poorfag, but paying 5 bucks for a feature like this is perfectly reasonable since I'm not a graphics programmer and doing it myself would cost me more due to the sheer overhead in time.

Have you tried Krita?

I know Krita, but haven't used it for that purpose yet. That's actually a very good idea.

that design actually looks japanese made
who made the illustration/design? and how much does it cost?

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that.

I've done freelance work in the past for clients who made me sign paperwork legally stating that all the software I'm using in my work for them was legit. Based on the fine print in that stuff alone, it could get ugly.

On the other hand, most clients never ask at all, and I've never once had anybody actually check into the matter and challenge me on it, so I have no idea how anybody would ever find out. I'm pretty much certain you're safe as long as you aren't selling anything, and only slightly less certain you're safe with pirated software as long you're independently contracting for someone else who's doing the publishing/selling/whatever actual business.

Still, if I ever made a game independently and managed to sell it, I'd make sure to get legit versions of anything I was already pirating before I got too far in, just to be safe. Which is currently nothing, unless I found a good source for Zbrush.

Also, I'd imagine makers of high-end graphics software gotta realize that you probably won't have the money to buy it until you're actually making money with it, and that won't happen until you get good with it first. So I'd guess that they don't mind pirating too much as long as you buy it for realz once you get serious. Otherwise it's a bit of rock and a hard place situation.

Screen space dithered alpha.
Had to punch in the lookup texture in a hex editor.

Finally managed to understand arrays, I think I am actually having fun programming.

Oh hey that's what Dragon's Dogma uses

Tomorrow gonna start making that auto-tiling thingy like in rpgmaker but 3D

does anybody have resources on making music for vidya? i've made plenty of songs at this point, but the large majority are just ~2 minute ditties or 23 minute jam sessions

You seem to know about this kinda stuff.
Is there any way to make ANY object transparent in Unity?

I could just use Uber's transparency shader, but that would then force all modders to use Uber's shader too.

Or maybe I could set some transparent material, and fuck the material/details on the tiles I want transparent..

That's actually really cool

So me, a 3D/Art/Level Design/Music-fag and a programmer are working on an FPS.
The game is sort of an FPS/Metroidvania hybrid where you wander around an endless city (Think Blame!) finding cuhrazee weapons and purging dirty cyborg scum.
What engines do you guys recommend? We've been trying to use source but it takes literal hours just to render a single map due to its BSP design.
We're thinking of going with Unreal next since EYE devs apparently prefer it and god damn Spacehulk proves that it is not shit.

Singaporeans

collateralds.com/

Three hundred and eighty buckaroos, my good friend. But she's my waifu with a lifetime license to exploit her.

i get deeply nostalgic of old games

the time when being online was sacred

sorry i'm drunk, i won't ramble…

But can you understand a binary tree? Can you sort one on a whiteboard?

I'm in the process of making a cyberpunk FPS (among other things) in UE4 which is quite nice to use. I'd recommend that. If you wanted to use source it'd probably be better to just wait for the next version which should be out within a few years.

not bad.
a very reasonable price if they made the design too.

I think they want to use source because that is what the EYE devs used

Look at new retro wave, there are some songs that should be slow enough for you, and the genre is getting pretty nice.

Maybe, but I take more inspiration from EYE than any other shooter and I'm still making it in unreal. I've never been particularly fond of source however.

I haven't gotten anything to actually post but, Me and two other guys are making a SRPG. sadly i'm the only one with coding experience in C++ (pretty basic mind you)
Along with DOS file routing (basic as well, I played with dos box alot)
we WERE going to get work while all of us were on skype. I'd screen share and give them a hand with what ever. SADLY SKYPE DECIDED TO BE A NIGGER AND SAID FUCK YOU AND FUCKED OVER SCREEN SHARING WHILE IN A MIDDLE OF A CALL.

We havent given up. were all very determined.

Your character design reminds me of pic related.

now you just increased my urge to make a fucking "nuke japan" simulator. Fucking weebcucks.

True enough. The reason we initially considered it is because my background is in source modding.
Sadly it seems Source does not handle fuckhuge amounts of complicated architecture well.
What's the plot/idea behind your game?

gdcvault.com/play/1023586/8-Bit-8-Bitish-Graphics

In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is the guy that made those crazy palette-cycling landscapes

You mean "stipple".

That's a built-in feature of GL, by the way.

Stripped down to bare bones, it's about being in a dystopic cyberpunk nightmare, and you're given the choice to stay human and try to rise above it and destroy the system entirely to create something better, or to take up cyberaugs and become a degenerate inhuman monster. Not sure yet if I'm going to have a linear story like EYE or if there will be a choice between several factions, but gameplay will be somewhat similar to EYE, but with better AI allowing for more stealth and whatnot.

What is in-order search? Also protip: binary trees are already sorted. Low to left high to right.

lurk moar

Unreal engine can handle some ridiculous stuff. If you know what you are doing in c++ go for it.

A form of sorting.

Thank you I will check them out. I am sure they can all do what I need them to do.

Like I said I am a bit of an old man and I assumed things have changed since I made games. Also I make enough to want to buy a license and avoid getting sued.

Thanks for the help.

godspeed user

Not quite sure on the binary tree, but I am working on a sorting method.

Also checked

Wow, that sounds like it'd be exactly my sort of thing, both in terms of art direction and game type. However, I have a job in progress right now, and due to money being extra tight, probably can't dedicate much free work any time particularly soon. Otherwise though, that sounds like almost the ideal project scenario alright. And would be if you were paying.

it was a jeopardy answer dumbass
nah man, we are using post order search

Skype is broken. Irreparably broken. Find an alternative. I don't know any myself, since if I did I'd have dropped skype myself since long ago, but if you depend on it for collaboration you need to drop that shit. It will kill your project.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I think that effect looks like shit and I hate it when games use it. Between object/texture pop-in and this kind of fade-in, I prefer thing just popping in. If something appears out of nowhere I'll notice, but it's just a single-frame event. When things fade into existence like this, the effect creates a false sense of motion that draws my attention to it like a pink UFO hovering outside my window while blaring 80's pop music.
If the intent is to hide object loading, that effect sucks. If it's to improve the visuals (like the second gif) it still sucks. Look at it. You've got magic floating pixels buzzing around like white flies. It's the same problem as aliasing. It's visual noise that distracts you from the rest of the scene. It might look passable with supersampling or if I take my glasses off and lean back a bit, but imo you're better off just leaving the effect out. Or expose it in a config file so people like me can disable it, along with motion blur and other such effects.

Didn't /g/ make some alternative at one point?

Wow, that pic brings back memories, haven't seen that baby in years. You have indeed been at it a while.

Anyway, I'm not as sure as that guy that Max is out of the question. Maya has gained ground, and stuff like Blender has closed the gap, but I think it's still safe to say that Maya and Max are the big two. I'd recommend just getting whichever you personally like better, they can both play nicely with most other major tools.

From what I gathered Max is for effects and modelling, while most animators swear by Maya.

I might be talking out of my ass though, haven't kept up.

You could always use ekiga, also
good joke.

That squares with my knowledge too. Being mostly focused on modelling myself, my preference for modelling in Max is the reason I went with it. But I know for sure there are people who like to model in Maya and I can think of at least one animation-focused person who animates in Max. It's worked for my animating needs as well, for that matter. In other words, they can both cover the bases. …Aside from filling in for Zbrush sculpting stuff. If one of them had that functionality built-in and/or included with a standard license, that'd be a tie breaker for me at least.

So I still think there isn't really a wrong answer in the Max or Maya question, just go with what you like. Or alternately, if you're working with others, go with what they already have. Collaborating with people who are using the one you aren't just adds another layer of mild inconvenience.

Rate my tech tree

Tox failed. Most of the people involved are insane in a bad way and what funding they managed to raise was stolen by one of the devs. They have no idea how to do proper security beside "let's use a bunch of random crypto libraries and everything will be good rite? Also hurr DHT, hurr NaCl, hurr C89 because durr". Because they just throw whatever meme tech of the month at it, it has more security holes than win95 on top of feature creep more rampant than blender.

Have you used it yourself? Is it good? Does it have basic features like making calls in a reliable manner?

I rate it colors out of colors.
In seriousness, looks pretty good. what gaem?

Well, it's a tree alright. What do the colors signify? Also, are you sure you want a tree and not a more general graph? With the later you can have nodes depend on multiple techs directly, instead of enforcing the "each node has exactly one parent" relationship that's one of the properties of trees. Alpha Centauri and such uses a graph.

Have you printed your logo and hung it up on your door yet?

It's scientifically proven™ to improve productivity.

I have never had a reason to use video/voice conferencing software, so I have no idea of the reliability of it.
I know it exists and that is all, wont cost you anything to try it though, so what have you got to lose?

LISA the Joyful is about Naval Battles during Napoleon times?

I want to do 3D prerendered sprites for my game, given that it would drastically cut down on work doing animation since I only have to make the model once. The thing is, I can't draw for shit and I don't want to pay someone to draw for me. Is it possible to do it without being able to draw or getting someone to do it for me?

As in texturing/uv-mapping the models?

You need a drawing of what you're trying to model to go off of, right?

Like in this tut: cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-a-low-poly-ninja-game-character-using-blender-part-1--cg-16132

programer art

Yeah, tbh most of my models is done without any drawing because I cant into perspective drawing for shit.

I only used Images/Blueprints as reference.

Also happen to be working on a cyberpunk fps…

TL;DR you won't be making a bad choice by picking Unreal, but it's up to you and your team to figure out if it is a good choice.

Unreal is good, especially for an FPS. As for the programming environment, blueprints is damn easy but C++ just is more powerfull. It's like the difference between a Mac and Linux. Both can be used for programming, but one trusts the user enough to give them more power. C++ is faster and has more access to things in the engine. Blueprints is easier to use (someone who doesn't know any programming languages could use it so long as they can think like a programmer) and in many cases faster to prototype with. Luckily they aren't strictly separated and C++ code can be extended into Blueprints.

It has source control built in, but I haven't used it (probably should) so I can't say anything other than "it exists".

It is middle of the road with how technically impressive it is and how much support exists for it, right between CryEngine (very impressive, shit support(but maybe that's changed?)) and Unity (fine engine, great support).

Taking models from Blender to Unreal is 'relatively' painless, however because Unreal deals with .fbx files and .fbx support for Blender is not great I have experienced some problems with a bone in a rig occasionally being out of place. This is fixed with some fiddling around with the key frames of the animation. I don't know if it's just me or actually a problem with Unreal, and it's easy enough to fix by messing around with they key frames. .fbx to Blender just straight up doesn't work for animation. Don't expect it to work. Save all of your animations as .blend files so you can edit them later rather than expecting that you can just re-import the .fbx files later. If you are desperate you can convert from .fbx to .dae, then import into blender. Epic has said that they plan on working with the blender community to improve .fbx support but I'm not holding my breath.

Managing animations is less imminently intuitive (at least for me) than in Unity, but once I actually learned how to use the tools it provided I can do more with it than in Unity.

I can't really say much about level design in blender because that's not my job, and as far as sound design goes I haven't gone in depth enough to really be able to say anything about it other than "yeah, you can play sound files and shit".

At the end of the day pick what you and your team are comfortable with. An engine is the foundation and toolbox you use to build the game, so you all better be happy with what you give yourselves.

Man, why is everyone working on cyberpunk FPSs these days around here? I am, too…

There isn't much to add to what you said, except perhaps that even though Blueprints are limited and slower than C++, if you manage your scripts cleverly, you can end up making games solely on BP. Hell, that's why I chose UE4, because it's not just that I can't code for shit, but I also don't have time to learn. The difference in speed is negligble if you don't get tick events going on. Not just that, but there's also a BP to C++ conversion tool in the works.

And watch out for networking. It took me ages to figure out certain stuff, and I might put that in tutorials sometime in the future, or if somebody asks, I can tell them. Things like animation replication, aim offset done through other means, things like that.

Maybe because we don't have enough of those.

Personally, I am not working on anything cyberpunk, but one idea I had - for something I should try in the future - is a steampunk RTS. I don't think such a thing exists and there's a lot you can do with this setting.
But that's something for the future. I want to try out a lot of things.

Okay, but what about for human characters though.

I dont know.

Define resources. Like instruments? Styles?

I assume you're already a musician of some kind, based on the "23 minute jam sessions" bit.

I mean, all I can say is usually, I do some noodling on my guitar with a backing track, and write down what I like, or record the sessions.

Then I usually take what I like, and try to build a song from it in a DAW, either laying out the notes by hand, or per-step with a controller.

I've bought monitor speakers to help with mixing, and been using my p95 as a controller for a while now though (the speakers aren't needed, especially with a good pair of headphones though)

It's really just about proper mixing, a good, complete song, and the correct instruments being used.

I'd look more into FM synthesis though, it comes in handy in creating the instruments you want to use.

Seems pretty obvious to me that user is asking for good sources to learn musical theory. Presumably to not have to noodle and see what sticks, but think of what goes well together and try those options immediately.

Don't have any really good resources myself though, only think I know is OneyNG's basic music theory videos.

I didn't really read your post, but can i just give my appreciation to that piece of gondola?

For theory, the place places are
musictheory.net/
and
mymusicmasterclass.com/blog/music-theory-and-composition-basics-pt-1/
==
music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/improvization-basics-the-pentatonic-scale--audio-2908
==
Essentially understanding things like scales and chord voices, as well as the importance of understanding degrees.

A good practice I usually do is just play a scale within a specific key, or a specific progression in a specific key and play the appropriate scale over it (or relative scale)

Even with theory though, noodling helps, but I guess direction with the noodling is a good start.

Oh, and Transcription and ear training, those are very, very useful skills to learn.

You start to hear what patterns or scale progressions are being used, and can manipulate them however you want when you're composing or playing.

Please be good please be good please be good please be good.

I felt like taking another shot at writing mods for minetest, and realized I have absolutely no idea what direction to take, or what end goal there should be. All I can think of is imitating factorio.

Then to it faggot.

Also, you're fucking based for making minetest mods. May the light of lord Stallman shine upon thee as thy walk though the valley of free software spaghetti.

My workflow plan is basically:
My hope is to not have anything use pattern crafting towards the end.

Is there even any way for people to tell that you used pirate software? Will models have some sort of sooper seekrit code that says HOL UP, THIS NIGGA DONE MADE THIS OUTTA JACKED SOFTWURR YA HEAR hidden in them or what? Do people come and check or what? I don't imagine some neckbeard will sell his fucking meme-filled walking simulator with assets made in a nonlegit Maya and have the Autodeskstaffel come searching through all of his loli folders and shit looking to see if he bought it like a good goy.

If I recall, OneyNG makes his music from a pirated program

Sounds great.

How minimalist is too minimalist for an over world map?

Looks like shit, m8.

Honestly if you're going to go that route maybe consider doing it fully top-down?

I added animations and a new part of the test map.

That's hard to look at. The design isn't the problem: it just looks like vomit. Did you use Paint?

Honestly, you'd be better off hand drawing your, then properly coloring and shading it in GIMP.

Good luck, user.

How's this look so far?

I know for sure Autodesk has the Student License versions which mark your scene files so you can't sell them. But they're nice to have for the occasional thing you want to test – I prefer Blender anyway hands-down.

Not minimalist enough. Have the same level of detail everywhere, i.e. either no big flat colored areas, or mostly empty with symbols for mountains, cities etc.

I don't want to reveal much because i don't want to make promises if i'm not sure i can keep them.

But there's something i want to say, notice how CA and CB are requirements for BA and BD? thats because, balance-wise, they make for a unique tech path on their own if researched together.

Colors are there just for convenience (notice each color starts with the same letter), this tech tree can't be a graph because of reasons i won't explain until later in the development, i will probably show some gameplay later this month if i make significant progress.

Even photoshop has identifiers in every image you export, much like every single printer in the wetern world is identifiable through stuff it printed. And that's just the embedded identifiers, there's probably simple shit like MADE WITH ACCOUNT [name pirate inserted for fun] somewhere in the files you export.

Probably hidden in the least significant bits of coordinates somewhere, which would probably make it survive conversion between most formats. Do you really think they check that sort of shit though, for every model in every game they see?

Every model? No. But they probably probe anything that becomes popular enough for using their software, then request an audit of at least some files. These companies have a legal department, and those guys have to do something to not sit around eating boogers most of the day right?

Also, new thread

Is the floor made of ice?