What are your thoughts on TESIV: Oblivion?

Probably the most divisive Elder Scrolls game in the franchise.

On one hand:

But

It's true though that a lot of its positives seemed to have come out with Skyrim's release. People realized how good they had it.

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/maps/obmap/obmap.shtml
srmap.uesp.net/
underworldascendant.com/
github.com/schlangster/skyui/tree/master/src/Enderal
imperial-library.info/content/many-headed-talos
openmw.org
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/26103/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/ajax/moddescription/?id=26103&preview=&pUp=1
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/8273/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/ajax/moddescription/?id=8273&preview=&pUp=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

n'wah

Holla Forums fucked up, didn't mean to include the same image twice.

I thought everyone knew Oblivion>Skyrim in every way?

It has some good quests but the gameplay is awful. Skyrim is just Oblivion with some mediocre mods built in, which makes it marginally better gameplay-wise, but still shit. And far less salvageably so.

nice

I fapped to loli mods bu skyrim has better.

I might be alone here but I think Oblivion is the best game in the series, at least compared to Skyrim and Morrowind. Sure, Oblivion is dumbed down but I feel like some of that was done well. Morrowind has major problems over Oblivion where Oblivion only has minor problems over Morrowind.

Oblivion
Better combat
Bigger world
Better questing
Fast travel
Balanced enchanting (Good or bad depending on how you look at it)

Morrowind
More skills
OP enchanting (Good or bad depending on how you look at it)

You forgot level scaling and a pants on head retarded level system.

Turns the game into irredeemable garbage.

Is good. Perks were understated, they felt like a nice surprise that were meaningful rewards for mastering skills. Perks from fallout 3 onward seem to lack the value of the stuff Oblivion gave.

Oblivion is the worst game Bethesda has ever made. Even Fallout 4 is better than Oblivion.

This is the truth.

Vanilla Oblivion is dogshit.
Just, totally horrible. Unforgivably so. I bought it on consoles when I was a teenager and slogged through it punching everyone to death as an Orc. Everything was so samey and boring and I didn't understand the lore at the time. It was a mess. I am amazed at half of the design decisions in this game.

Modded Oblivion, however, fixes a lot of the glaring flaws and turns it into something salvaged. This is more than I can say for Skyrim, which always felt like a shallow wilderness simulator than an RPG.

Daggerfall=Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim>NuDoom>Fallout4

Oblivion is a shittier version of Morrowind.

The world is slightly bigger, but more empty - it lacks the density and amount to do which Morrowind possessed. There are lots of quests, but they're less interesting - most people only remember the quests in Oblivion over ones in Morrowind because Morrowind used a journal system instead of a quest system, and most of the shit that Oblivion would call a quest Morrowind would call a random event you walked in on.

Shivering Isles is nice, but Bloodmoon did the whole Daedra-themed expansion better, as did Tribunal. The lore for Morrowind was much better, and not corrupted like in Oblivion. Morrowind is more easily modded. Visually, it looks about as shit as Morrowind, except with those horrible faces that have aged terribly.

In every regard, Oblivion is a shittier version of Morrowind.

Skyrim is like Oblivion in some ways, but really, it's nothing at all like Morrowind. The two can barely even be considered to be in the same genre with all of the differences. The combat is more enjoyable, and it can be modded just as easily. It also looks decent to begin with - certainly better now, five years later, than Oblivion did at the time Skyrim was released.

Essentially, if you want to play a game for combat, you shouldn't play TES at all - but Skyrim is your best option, if you want that. If you want to play it for literally any other reason, Morrowind is your go-to, and does it much better.

Oblivion is the shitty

Oblivion combat is shit - shittier than Morrowind, in fact. I'd rather miss high-level enemies as a low-level character than have to hit a Goblin Warlord a thousand times at high-levels to take it down. And Morrowind magic was much better. Also, spears and crossbows.

The Morrowind world, as mentioned before, had a lot more to do. Oblivion was empty. It had better quests, more quests, and more interesting quests, that made the world seem organic rather than seeming like "quests". And fast travel? Oblivion gives you:

Morrowind gives you:

Oblivion is shit. It cannot be defended.

This is the truth.

On a scale of 1.0, with 1.0 being Morrowind:
1.00 - Morrowind
0.89 - Daggerfall
0.59 - Skyrim
0.57 - Redguard
0.55 - Battlespire
0.40 - Arena
0.32 - Oblivion
0.20 - ESO

This is the precise truth. The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Bethesda Game Studios isn't making Doom, you retard. They only do The Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

It's a super comfy, and has the best music in the series. It has a lot of flaws, but I love playing it from time to time. It has something that screams ADVENTURE.

Chill your tits and take your autism pills, nigger.

so:
but I really love Morrowind

I don't think RPGs are the right genre for you, friend.

I like the game, but I just don't like the world. Unfortunately that makes it sort of impossible for me to enjoy the game that might be there. Too generic and not enough variation. Oblivion gates are a change of scenery, yes, but they were also depressing and usually a slog.
And I didn't really like how some spell-effects were removed.

Base is terrible, knights are terrible, isles are good.

well, Elder Scrolls aren't really games for RPG fans

>implying you, as not only a TES fan but a TES elitist, have any space to decide that

Leave right now and never come back, you casual.

No. It's not good. Skyrim is infinitely superior to it despite being casualized even further.

I mean, in Oblivion, the leveling system is broken without mods, in Skyrim it can be broken deliberately and lacks any more detailed stats beyond health/mana/stamina, but you can still create interesting if imbalanced builds/

In Oblivion, you can be either a wizard or a melee warrior, unless you rely on 100% chameleon stealth is absolutely useless, and so are the bows that lack in power. In Skyrim, mages are underpowered and can't brew their own spell, but you can be a ranged warrior or fight in close combat or play stealthily. It simply offers more options despite the simplification of RPG elements.

Here are my rankings, from best to worst:

I genuinely loved Oblivion. When I first got it, it was for the 360 I was a shitty kid at the time. Vanilla it was pretty damn good, but when I finally got a PC, the game became even more amazing.

Combat wasn't so bad if you got to 100 in your chosen combat skills so you can have the varied power attacks, and it definitely improved over Morrowind which truely WAS a mindless click-fest that had an option to turn your best attack to "Always on" and gave a much needed nerf to hand-to-hand where you can essentially stunlock an enemy into incapacitation and kill without any challenge.

Magic and enchanting were amazing in Morrowind, but super easy to break. Suddenly you're an unstoppable juggernaut with immunity to everything.

Enemies were handled a bit better as well, none would spawn on the roads, maybe a bit off the ways from the road, but usually a low level like a skeever or a wolf. Morrowind had the infamous Cliff-Racer and good luck outrunning that, and if you're low level in your skills then you better keep praying your click spamming hits and no other cliff-racer suddenly join in.

NPCs were better. True that cities were "Lifeless" but it beats the still statues and maybe the pacing NPC of Morrowind. But they'd have their routines: Going to shops, traveling to different towns, conversing with other NPC, going home and locking their houses for the night as well as sleeping.

Even though some of the best things from Morrowind did not come over to Oblivion, it was still a solid game. Better than Morrowind in many aspects but also very lacking.

However, Skyrim is pure shit and mods are the only thing making it bearable, and thats when the modding gets super-heavy and everything hardly resembles the base game.

Gameplay is terrible, as usual. The game feels much more comfy than Skyrim though, and the controls are a lot more loose and fluid compared to Skyrim. The only thing Oblivion's really missing are the physics that allow for things like Fus Ro Dah to work properly. Mods for Oblivion seem to be better than mods for Skyrim too.

I loved Morrowind and just could not get into Oblivion, I even liked Skyrim more than it. It's lacking the artistic charm of Morrowind, in addition to not being simple enough to be an enjoyable open world action game. It's got a boring environment, shit aesthetic, shat all over the interesting lore the imperials had, really bad voice acting, zero choice and consequence, combat that's boring, and really awful dungeons.

Quests were pretty good though, beat all the ass off the ones in Skyrim at least. It has nothing as interesting as venturing into a living world of paint to rescue an artist who has a magic brush that was stolen by a thief.

All in all, my least favorite of all the Elder Scrolls. And yes, I know this makes me a niggerfaggot pleb because I enjoyed Skyrim more.

Sue me.

From my own experience I don't know how you guys can say Skyrim is better than Oblivion. Oblivion wasn't nearly as good as Morrowind but I enjoyed it a shitload more than Skyrim. Even with gigs upon gigs of mods Skyrim still had glaring problems and a lack of the same spirit or adventure that Oblivion and Morrowind had. Skyrim to me felt like absolute casualized industrial artificiality not made with passion or with purpose, just to sell to a wide audience. Even Oblivion felt like there was more going on and more care put into it.

Loved the Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines. Some minor quests were quite memorable too:

Yeah it had good side quests here and there.

Shivering Isle is better than the main game though

Morrowind and Oblivion had that sort of whimsical charm about their quests. It was all gone in Skyrim because Todd settled on quantity > quality, and by quantity, he meant the Fetch Quest Generator aka Radiant Quest System.

It was pretty bad. Some quests were actually pretty good, but were good in spite of the core gameplay, which itself was shit. Progression/level-scaling was borked beyond belief and required you to do more min-maxing then necessary in Morrowind or most other RPGs. The combat was also a bore. People blame Morrowind for being a click-fest but truthfully the focus of combat in Morrowind is more about choices in managing your resources (stamina, spells, items, etc.), especially as difficulty progressed. Oblivion is much more guilty of being a first-person click-fest where the most meaningful choices in combat are "regular attack or power attack". I'd go into it more but this horse has been beaten to death already.

I was so God damn disappointed that random quest generation was included in Fallout 4, because that means it's probably going to be in all their games going forward–and that doesn't do much for my (already tiny) hope for TES6.

Lets build on this.
became more and more of a viable option because the monster spawning was all over the place which made enemy descriptions make no sense "Sabrecats inhabit the wilds of Skyrim and prey on unsuspecting adventurers straying too far from the road." Whats that in the middle of a road? Why it's a fucking sabrecat. Is the next part of the quest too far away? Oh well heres this guy who so happens to own a carriage that goes to every town and a few of the towns. You don't have to go there once in order to fast travel.
Dungeons can be summed up in a large circle and almost always look the same and are usually inhabited by the same enemies. No variation outside of "Bandit" "Vampire" and "Drauger" with rare tangents of different enemies. And they always became one big circle. Many being as insulting as "The only thing blocking this door was an old wooden blocking bar latched by ancient rusted iron that looks like it would snap under a good kick"
All horses are the same in Skyrim, no matter the coat, the legendary Shadowmere, none of the horses have differing speeds. In Oblivion, some were tougher but slower, others were faster and weaker.. Skyrim? No you just get different paint jobs, you too Shadowmere.
Oblivion did something different in the story, they decided to not make you "The Chosen One" rather, they put you on the sidelines and let you be the one to place all the pieces into position for the real hero and all started by the mere coincidence of being in a jail cell.

Skyrim… Ugh…
You're about to die, but it's okay! DEUS EX MACHINA! Here you go! You're free and whatever crime you did was absolved and look! you can yell at things! Everyone knows you're the Dragonborn and you've only been free for an hour. STOP SHOUTING AT ME!

While Oblivion's quests were all hand made, Skyrim seemed to rely on the 3D item view gimic only for quests that required the Dragon Claws and then abandoned it soon after for what seemed to be randomly generated quests with the very rare side quests that were unique and the Faction and Daedric quests.

The main questline was the worst of the entire series and the logic can be broken on base choices. For example: After you establish The Blades in Skyrim, you can ignore them completely and complete the main quest. When you return to them, they will say "Yeah, we can't help you because you're in cahoots with a dragon." even though the threat is over and Alduin is dead and you didn't need their help at all in the main quest after the fact they got their little club house back.

However, I have to say The Dark Brotherhood quest of Skyrim is far superior than Oblivion or Daggerfall's, although it was very short.

Equipment variety had become very sparse. Though this game had the best design for Daedric armor, they overly simplified most of the gear and kept to the Oblivion method aside from the onesies, but Skyrim had the option for single piece for multiple armor pieces like Morrowind, but they didn't capitalize on it and clever modders already did things with it like the Gemtastic mod. However, it is incredibly wasted potential on Bethesda's part.

It has become much more aggressive in Skyrim, but at least not as bad as Oblivion where you see common bandits wearing daedric armor. However, where you may have been training smithing and gained a few levels that way, you might find yourself unfairly pressed when you fight the next group of bandits.

I could go on, but my autism is something to be ashamed of.

>Skyrim is infinitely better because they removed things Oblivion did wrong instead of fixing them
The game is boring as fuck, if a TES game doesn't have good quests, dungeons or a varied enough world might as well don't exist, no matter how good the gameplay is. Because let be honest, if you play a TES game for the core gameplay might as well play something else, because they are all below average.

The only one of those three things Oblivion does better than Skyrim is quests. The world is infinitely more varied than Oblivion's and dungeon's come in many more flavors.

I also consider the political backdrop and the time it takes place in much more interesting than Oblivion's as well.

Man i don't even remember the Skyrim's DB questline. And i've replayed that pretty recently.

I do remember though the death of that smug dunmer in the dungeon, that estate with five enter - one leaves rule, purging your entire hideout to find a traitor and a crazyass motherfucker with mommy issues behind it all.

I wouldn't say Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood questline is better than Oblivion's, but it was pretty good, and the best guild quest in that game.

Jesus you're right. That was the superior.

Though I did enjoy the "Kill the Emperor" and cunt-bitch betrayed you and ended up her sanctuary destroyed because she was afraid of your power in Skyrim

Oblivion is leagues better than Skyrim and you know it.

Oblivion may have been more DISAPPOINTING since it was a big step down in complexity from Morrowind but Skyrim was still another step down for the series.

And lets hold up for a fucking second and talk about Daggerall being worse than Daggerfall. It's not.

brain_damage.png

Pro anything versus anti anything is better than literally nothing going on politically.

do you really need politics in your vidya?

Shit list honestly fam, it sounds like you are some kind of Oblivion Apologist

Oblivion has 6 less skills than the previous wheras Skyrim has 3 less and added a perk system while streamlining the stat system, Skyrim removed equipment degradation but added in smithing and weapon improvement, Skyrim removed birthsigns but added in those stones that let you change your birthsign bonus on a whim, Both games shat the bed but at least Skyrim offered more features, Oblivion just plain dumbed down.

Modding Oblivion is pretty moot, it has the least mods of the console TES titles and it has the worst mods of the console TES titles.

Despite having the biggest world of any of the console Beth games it is simultaneously the worst world, it's just forest for fucking miles with Skyrim cities technically only being the worst thanks to shits like Morthal and Falkreath.

The graphics don't hold up today Oblivion is a shitty ugly as all fuck game, the trees look nice at a glance because it is just bill boarded textures that serve a the leaves/smaller branches. For distant trees I'd say this is fine, you aren't going to see the distortion but for trees directly above you you can look up and spin on the spot and watch the leaves spin with you. Rain particles are locked to you, try running around and looking up at rain, it moves with you.

Visually I'd say Oblivion is one of the ugliest games ever made and it's concept artist should have been ejected from the industry, you can notice a sharp change in The Shivering Isles because that's when Adamowicz jumped on board, he's also the reason why Skyrim looks as good as it did.

The dungeons in Oblivion are probably the worst in the series, it's quests certainly aren't though.

There's 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, with a far greater range of voice actors with Nords having the highest diversrity in voice actors, compared to Oblivion's 37,000 lines of dialogue with 1 VA per gender per race.

Did we play the same game at launch, I played Oblvion on a console with no internet connection for 3 months, it was a bug riddled mess, quests would get stuck, NPCs would glitch through walls, Clavicus Vile quest would crash the game upon completion 100% of the time, the only good thing on launch was being able to use paintbrushes. I don't recall Skyrim being as bad except for animation errors.

Oblivion is the worst of all TES titles, It's lore rape is the worst, it's characters are the worst, it's story is the worst, it's voice acting is the worst, it's world is the worst, it's architecture is the worst, it's monsters are the worst, it's dungeons are the worst, it's additional features are the worst, it's best mods are the worst, it's engine is the worst. The only thing Oblivion does best is it's expansions, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, but these are still placed on top of the worst TES title.

I don't like Skyrim, Skyrim is shit.

Political issues can be handled well in video games, as long as they're investigated, rather than preached. Deus Ex and Fallout: New Vegas are political as fuck, and better for it. They just aren't propaganda.

Don't remind me. RIP.

I'd rather remember him as the guy who's concept art was top notch but he ended up working for a company that wasn't.

No, no, his output was great. I'm not saying otherwise. It's just a shame that when Bethesda finally got a damn good artist, who could make more visually interesting worlds, that he died. Maybe the universe hates Todd Howard.

If you're building a fictional world that I need to immerse myself in, that world will need conflict. Political issues that the player can interact with and influence are great ways to go about doing that, and really add a lot to the game.

Skyrim at release was a bug riddled mess but less so than Oblivion, only a few of the major questlines were bugged beyond belief, and the memory issues meant that playing beyond a hundred or so hours on the console versions would result in a game that stuttered and crashed constantly. That's console though, so who gives a fuck?

I still remember my excitement as I put the disc in the drive for the first time fading as I did the first Oblivion Gate. Within a couple of hours I was overwhelmed with how bland the whole was.

There are some good sidequests, to be fair.

Jesus OP, you are the biggest fucking poser I've ever seen on any Holla Forums. Laugh and get in your digs on me if you want, but I've been with this series since Arena, and Oblivion is not complex, nor is it redeemable through the looking glass of Skyrim.

I will say this about Morrowind: Being the Daggerfall faggot I was, I hated MW when it came out. The tiny dungeons, the easy combat, the smaller word…it wasn't until Oblivion that I went back and thought "ok, this isn't too bad". As I got older, hit my 40s and couldn't stand the tedium of Daggerfall, I even started preferring the simplistic nature of Morrowind over it.

Oblivion must be a thing you young pups are just now accepting the same way the Daggerfall folks finally accepted the watering down present in Morrowind. I shouldn't bitch at you for it, but Jesus Christ, how the fuck can you like Oblivion? It's absolute shit. At least you can mod Skyrim to be a Hexen-esque first person diablo loot fest. But Oblivion? Even with the overhaul it plays like ass.

As for the mod community, the MW mod community is WAY more active than the Oblivion one. Saying Oblivion has an active mod community is horseshit.

I haven't played it, only played skyrim so far and that game was very dull. Pirated it on release back then and I had barely made it into whiterun and stopped at some point afterwards.

But once I saw all those mods I bought it and got like 54 hours out of it before I got tired again.

If oblivion has mods that add rape, forced slavery and all kind of weird sex I could give it a try.

I never implied you didn't think what he did was great, I just like to enjoy his work and remember him because his work is worth it. If the universe hated Todd Howard he would have never gotten his job at Beth despite being under qualified, I think he's just charismatic.

Fair enough.

People like to shit on it with dumb arguments such as "copy pasted terrain" because yahtzee said it, when the world is actually nicely crafted with many beautiful sights that you will see if you don't use fast travel like a casual.

It has many flaws, but it scores very very high on the comfy category.

Music is top tier.

top heh
It's kind of sad how a bunch of german modders made a better game off their engine then bethesda did. Pic related is a scene in which you are chased through mine shaft by a massive skeleton centipede creature that's hiding in the walls and jabbing huge limbs through the walls at you, I'm sure bethsda didn't even think their engine was capable of making something like this.

I stopped playing Nehrim for a few months and tried to pick it up again.
Is there anything to alleviate the health sponge enemies?

You need to walk to non cities before you can fast travel to them, everyone has walked around TESIV Cyrodiil and it's shit, it's about as interesting to explore as the Daggerfalls wilds, even the dungeon exteriors are as interesting and detailed. You can't even compare Skyrim and Oblivion in this regard, Skyrim map smashes Oblivion map into a pile of rubble despite being smaller.

uesp.net/maps/obmap/obmap.shtml

srmap.uesp.net/

Enderal in german in 2 months, I hope they do subs since I want to play with German VA and english subs.

How was the environment boring? How was the aesthetic shit, besides the potato people? How is the voice acting different than Skyrim's? How is zero choice and consequence different than Skyrim? How is the combat different than Skyrim? How can you enjoy endless Draugr crypts to Ayleid ruins?

I see why people bash the fuck out of the game, honestly.

But the modded version of Oblivion was some of the best game time I spent.

Generic European woodland instead of the Chinese/Roman mashup that previous lore described.

Far fewer voice actors, and many of them of worse quality.

It isn't.

Skyrim had dual-wielding, dual-casting, shouts, shield bashes, and kill-cams. Oblivion had custom spells and degradable weapons and armor.

They both got too samey.

You ask too many obvious questions.

I actually really enjoyed oblivion just because I loved breaking into the castles and sneaking around stealing shit. There was also a sewer system under the imperial city you could sneak around in if you where wanted.

Opinion discarded.

I actually liked Oblivion, too, despite its many, many problems. My two biggest issues (the awful faces and the retarded level scaling) are fairly easy to fix with mods.

Kill-cams are fucking shit though

Everything about Cyrodiil was generic European fantasyland.

I'm not saying they were good, just pointing out differences between their combat.

I dropped the game when a heavily scaled opponent performed a kill-cam on me on his second hit.

Ignore that, I thought I was in the main screen

Fucking kill yourself.

It all looks the same and has nothing interesting going on visually. It's all one big green forest, or a green field, or a green forest with some water in it. There's no essence of visual storytelling, nothing interesting to see, and despite some impressive vistas here and there it's a chore to walk around and stare at trees all day.

It's torn straight from the coverart of a DnD rulebook, in that it's generic fantasy to the max and lost a lot of the weird ugly charm that Morrowind and Skyrim have. It didn't look like an Elder Scrolls game, it looked like a bad Lord of the Rings game. Aside from that you have the aforementioned generic worldspace, cities with no consistent sense of time period or architecture, no sense of culture for the various settlements That are also placed around randomly with no reason to exist aside from existing, like Fallout 3's world, it isn't Shandified. And even you noticed the potato people. Having NPCs that are actually physically difficult to look at is pretty bad when you wind up spending a great deal of time staring directly into their gross potato faces to get line after line of dialogue from them.

Skyrim has a much larger cast of VAs who are all of much higher quality. It's not great, mind you, but a definite step up from Oblivion in that regard, where it had one VA for every gender and race who are fucking terrible at their jobs.

Skyrim has combat that feels somewhat more like combat. It's punchier, better animated, smoother, and much more entertaining to take part in. Again, it's not great, but better than Oblivion's generic poorly animated smacking, hitting shit in Oblivion feels like swinging your sword through people due to the shit audio and physical feedback.

Because Ayleid ruins were boring as fuck to look at, whereas Draugr crypts actually had an interesting aesthetic and were often filled with interesting visual stories, notes, etc.

Besides, there's more than endless Draugr crypts. Dungeons, generally speaking, come in three/four flavors. Bandit caves/forts, crypts, dwemer shit, etc. Which is a lot better than Oblivion's 1 dungeon, blue cave.

Skyrim isn't great in this regard but it's better than Oblivion. I recall numerous times where I could turn down a quest in Skyrim or take a slightly different approach to my goal in comparison to Oblivion's incredibly rigid quest design.

Also, Imperial or Stormcloak?

You are literally defending Skyrim.

Thank you. I've been depressed all damn day, and that cheered me right the fuck up.

What? Have you ever played any games other than skyrim and cod/bf?

I was about to say that you were moving the goalposts, but you're actually just memeing now.
For what it's worth, here's my take: Oblivion is better mechanically, and Skyrim has a better setting. Oblivion still has attributes, classes, item condition, etc. But its world is dogshit. Skyrim has good visual design, a unique world, and some interesting additions to the lore. But its systems are casual shit.

You really should have stepped back and reconsidered your post before you sent it through.

It's sad how true this is. Not to mention those people will then go on to defend skyrim.

How dare I have a different opinion from the groupthink.

Did I say it was good in comparison to other videogames? No, I said it was better than Oblivion's combat. That's it. Reading comprehension motherfucker, do you understand the words you read on the screen?

I guarantee I thought about my post more than you've thought about anything in the last ten years.

Your mother should have stepped back, reconsidered her pregnancy, and sent herself to the abortion clinic.

Not really. It's systems, while being more complex, are almost completely broken in spite of being simpler compared to earlier TES games.

Oblivion's level-scaling sucks, sure. But that's its only big mechanical sin. It still has the systems that define an RPG, even if sometimes they end up being borked. Skyrim doesn't have those systems at all.

Agreed. Kill-cams are obnoxious as fuck unless the character models are heavily detailed to show accurate impact damage, which Beth games lack. There's a way to disable it, but I forgot how. Must be an INI or GlobalVariable edit through the console or ESP.

God forbid we see a mainline TES game set in High Rock. It's going to be that x10 going off of TESO's rendition. Make no mistake, they're going to borrow lore from that to cut corners no matter how much people beg.

Skyrim's dungeons are better crafted, no doubt, but Draugr crypts could have gone for more enemy variety. Draugr are the most boring enemy type in a TES game yet. Not only are they generic zombies, but they're not menacing at all. At least the zombies in previous games had an unsettling appearance about them.

How were the environments interesting? it's just a large series of open areas with little environmental detail, Skyrim crushes this on many fronts.

Skyrim uses verticality in it's design, you find yourself in passes and valleys, or on cliffsides, and are constantly treated to views of the beautiful Skyrim environment, further aided by structures actually visible at a distance these types of areas barely exist in Oblivion and nowhere near to the same level.

Skyrim does small details far better than Oblivion, areas have far more wildlife and insects and fish, in Oblivion you just hear insects, the game doesn't actually have insects, in Skyrim you have streams with rushes and fish and defined edges, in Oblivion a stream is just terrain sloping into the water with ingredients dotted around it.

The environments in Skyrim are far more variable than Oblivion. despite Skyrim having a strong winter/cold north theme it manages to have better diversity within it's environments, especially visually with regions having distinct colour palettes, fauna, flora, enemies and architecture.

Many of the points on the map in Oblivion are interior dungeons, in Skyrim you have many points of interest with a lot going on outside, on top of this forts tend to be logically laid out instead of being just a dungeon with loot at the end, some of these places are also detailed so that they feel lived on or that they have a purpose within the world, the gambling den in the Rift, the poachers camp in Whiterun, the Necromancers lair around Morthal, the occasional Dwemer expeditions in and around skyrim as a whole. the. There are also many flavour areas in Skyrim like necromantic altars, monuments to past heroes, witch shacks, Orcish forts, hunter camps that actually look like hunter camps. In oblivion you have like what a camp where an NPC that provides training who walks back and forth all day.

dungeons are dungeons, they are shit in all TES games with Daggerfall at least having massive dungeons that require planning to complete.

You are a special kind of retarded, I guess that explains why you like Oblivion so much.

wut
Its the first game in the series where NPCs have proper schedules and the cities are much more realistically scaled than Morrowind(still not properly scaled as they are too small to be called cities)

Easy to have a large world when its all randomly generated mishmash that is copy pasted together

They really don't. The over use of bloom and the extremely low resolution textures are evident

The game literally has more bugs than Skyrim even after all the patches
Do you not remember how it didn't even work on AMD cards correctly? Or how the game crashed every 30 minutes? Or the whole Radiant AI bullshit?

Oblivion, like all Elder Scrolls games, was bad on release and certainly hasn't gotten any better. The only reason people play this shit series is because it had no proper competition.

I don't disagree with the point concerning Skyrim's lack of enemy variety in the crypts. Oblivion did much better in that regard.

The level scaling pretty much ruins it though.

To be fair, High Rock is supposed to be that classic, generic fantasy country. But I don't think TES6 will be set there. I think it'll be set in Hammerfell, for reasons of scale (keeping in line with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim) and marketability (setting it in a human province with familiar cultural and aesthetic touchstones).

I'll go one step further and tell you that Oblivion is my favourite game of all time and has been since I first played it.

I dunno man, it fits me perfectly. I sunk 600 hours into it.
The actual shit parts of the game is the actual Oblivion gates, though, god damn are those fucking boring.

I'm about ninety five percent certain TES 6 is going to be set in Hammerfell, there's too many hints in Skyrim for it to be anything else. At least that'll be a little more interesting, generic Muslim land hasn't really been in a game in a long time.

DELETE THIS!

I wish it did. If there were another big-budget, open-world, systems-driven, first-person action RPG, it might force Bethesda (and this other hypothetical studio) to actually improve and one-up each other.

Pic related.

Is this what we have become? Is 8/v/ dead already?

And not at least the fun kind of broken in Morrowind that lets you leap across the map in a single bound, or crash the game by dealing too much damage within a single hit, or have negative hp but be kept alive by your equipment, or punch a god to death, or circumvent large parts of the quest with non bug exploits.

Pretty much, I wish we had competition but for some reason we just don't.

Oblivion is the worst in the series by a long shot. Awful character models, terrible colors, and the worst level scaling I've ever encountered.

The only games in recent memory I can think of even kind of trying to compete with Beth in the regards of making big open world RPGs it's Fable and Kingdom's of Amalur. Despite personally enjoying most of the Fable franchise they're just missing something, too rigid in a way that ES isn't.

Amalur was just plain boring, despite solid combat, that was about all it had going for it.

Come to think of it SureAI are going to start making commercial games after Enderal with their first project being "small" so probably not an open world game, but if they make it then we could see some competition, competition with german coders too, expect the engine to not be a fucking joke with all the cool shit not coming from third party software.

More like Bethesda managed to actually make a game so bad that Oblivion looks good compared to it

Yeah, but neither of those are first-person or particularly systems-driven. The Elder Scrolls is basically an Ultima Underworld knockoff, and nobody else is making games like it. There are some series that use a similar design philosophy, like the new Deus Ex games, but they aren't open-world, or as free-form as TES.

That's great! Even if it is a small project. Between that and the new Ultima project assuming it doesn't suck we might actually get some new games that scratch the same itch.

Read the thread, we've already had the argument, you are wrong.

Yeah, but getting another TES game set in High Rock won't be as interesting now that TES4 has stolen that classical fantasy niche for the modern TES games.

Aside from the lack of Bethesda-scale games, devs often try too hard when creating worlds. They come right out the gate in the first game of an intended franchise shoving all sorts of information down your throat without giving you any sense of scale. TES started off as a generic RPG that had its lore slowly build over the course of a decade.

Well what do you know, a skilled team of modders moving on to make their living in the industry due to the skill garnered from their free mods and the reputation that brought.

Just a daily reminder that if your mods are actually good you don't need to sell them to start making money in the industry.

I'm interested, I haven't played Nehrim myself but it looks really good, and the mod they're putting together for Skyrim is really impressive.

new ultima game?

I agree.

Well, it's not technically Ultima, but some of the Ultima Underworld people are getting together and making a game called Underworld Ascendant, which is, for all intents and purposes, Ultima Underworld III.
underworldascendant.com/

Here's a video that seems to indicate that the devs know what they're doing.

Nehrim performs very poorly and has few mods, it does a bunch of things really well though, the main city is quite large, has multiple districts but the thing they got most right was that the areas surrounding it are largely farmland, there are a few other towns too. the main quest is pretty good, I thought it was better than Oblivion but that's really not saying much. Personally I'm very interested in Enderal their upcoming mod because it has a far stronger base game to build off and I recall reading that they were able to jimmy better character development systems with the aid of the SkyUI team.

I've seen that game, I think it's looking shit so far, I thought you were talking about Shroud of the Avatar too, a game I want to try but certainly don't want to buy.

Oblivion has core problems that the others either don't have or mitigated. The loot scaling means there's no sense of reward. The enemy scaling means there's not sense of progress. The entire level scaling system means you need to minmax if you want to survive at higher levels. Even ignoring the lore breakage, the world is boring to explore. It's also still the most unstable game of the series. Of course, it has a ton more problems than just those, but I feel those are the largest.

Alternatively, don't level. Oblivion is at it's best when you don't level at all. Not even fucking kidding.

Skyrim has its problems, of course, but none come close to the fact that Oblivion is a RPG that discourages you from leveling up. Morrowind had problems with combat, as well, but at least leveling up was always a good thing.

Color me interested.

That's why I'm interested in Enderal, I wasn't a fan of Oblivion much to begin with so bothering with modding it to get Nehrim running in a somewhat stable manner wasn't really appealing. I can see that it's pretty damn impressive though, so I'm interested in what they're going to do when they move on and start devving professionally.

Shame they had to work with such massive faggots, but at least it's something.

It's funny because I just started playing Oblivion again a few days ago. Aside from it looking like absolute ass and having all of 6 VAs, my biggest complaints are with how annoying the menus are to traverse (even vanilla Skyrim did their menus better), and how combat feels spastic and unfulfilling.

Shit, forgot my embed.

Why would you show me a spider, user?
I was talking about nice things in the world and then you do this.

It doesn't look great graphically, but that's not something I'm terribly concerned with. Admittedly, I haven't heard much news from them lately, and Kickstarter games are always a gamble, but I think they're in the right place in terms of design philosophy.

It's like you hate everything good and pure in this world.

smh tbh fam

Sloths are cool, but snakes are better.

I don't trust demos like that, I awlays expect it to be something like Peter Molyneux/fable

You many only do this as a part of the story, you can't remove buildings and replace them whenever you want.

Maybe it will be good.

github.com/schlangster/skyui/tree/master/src/Enderal

Here's something that points to what I said, since this is open source I wonder if that means we will see a proper stat system in Skyrim within our lifetime.

I wonder if this means we will see a proper skill system for FO4 and New Vegas ported to the FO4 engine.

I thought it was the guy who took over was a faggot, they've been working with SkyUI for a while.

Oblivion in a nutshell.

Not graphically, I just don't trust the devs, it sounds too good to be true, I expect things to be greatly exaggerated.

It's implementation of those systems were nearly as shallow in practice as Skyrim's despite being more complex. Much of your success in the game, especially in combat, is dictated more by the player skill with the action mechanics (regardless of how shallow those are) rather than player's skill at managing character attributes and resources.

Yeah, Morrowind could get really broken too, but that's mostly a case of the devs never placing a hard limit on potential power, not really a flaw with the system's design.

Turtles are alright, too.

In Arena, you're just a minor noble who had dirty on Jagar Tharn. Thanks to this incredible singular piece of knowledge that you alone possess, rather than any great power, the ghost of his apprentice helps ferry your ass across the continent on a suicide mission.

In Daggerfall, you're a random friend of the Emperor who he sends to put to rest a ghost and get a sensitive letter, only to get led on a wild goose chase that ends with you breaking time and killing yourself.

In Battlespire, you're Doomguy. Nothing special.

In Morrowind, you're a prisoner who just happened to meet the proper conditions for a prophecy, so the Emperor sends you off to see what happens. Everyone starts calling you a reincarnated hero, and if you're retarded, you actually believe them. If you're not, you realize everyone is just lying to your face, and tell them to fuck off so you can punch Dagoth Ur in the face.

Skyrim was the only one with Chosen One bullshit. Oblivion wasn't special.

So you like turtles then?

Oblivion also had it worse in that, despite being an average joe in the other games, you ascend to something greater than that through all your hard work and struggling.

In Oblivion you're always the errand boy. Despite being crowned The Champion at the end of the game, it never really feels like you're more than that.

Skyrim has this problem too. When I beat Morrowind I felt like I had become important. In Skyrim, despite being arguably the single most important, powerful, figure in recent history for the ES universe, it never feels like you get the respect you're due.

I do.
At least some of them. Others can be fucking frightening.

I think the combat is immensely better than Morrowind. It's just the level scaled enemies and crappy dungeon designs that makes the game feel more boring.

Balancing works better in both Oblivion and Skyrim than Morrowind, but it makes the game boring.

Plus, the cities and NPC's felt much more alive than in Morrowind. The radiant AI gives people complex schedule to follow. Yeah, the voice acting might be worse, but the AI is still less dull.

It's obviously not as good as Morrowind, but it still has a lot of heart and charm.

Like seriously, that mod sticky thread is more than enough information on the handful that is Oblivion's buggedd ass setup.

There is no incentive to visit any of them. Because of leveled loot and copypaste caves, the game pretty much screams at you to pick one easy location (ie Rockmilk) and grind it until you had enough shit. Then you would do the Dark Brotherhood questline. Then you would uninstall.

Now hold on. Azura and maybe Almalexia are the only ones who could be most definitely lying about you being the Nerevarine. No one else really benefits from you actually thinking you're Nerevar reborn, and pretty much everyone else is just in the dark about the whole thing as you are. Besides, it's never actually certain whether you are or aren't actually a legendary hero reincarnated, because that's not what's important. You met all the qualifications of the prophecy (unless you go the back route), and you did what you were supposed to. By all meaningful measurements, you're the great Nerevarine.

Whats your favorite turtle?
I'm quite partial to gamera, myself. But then I love most giant monsters.

As most anons have said Oblivion was fucked with all the leveling bullshit, simplification, etc.

But the biggest draw back– The fucking Compass shit. No more did you have to actually listen to quest givers or read your journal or try to figure shit out. Just follow the floating arrows.

Gotta be the JoJo turtle I posted earlier, man.
But I do like the Lion Turtles in Avatar, those guys are rad.

Morrowind can be beaten a lot of ways, user. Some of them quicker than others.

The best way to convince someone of something is if you believe it. That's why Skooma Man sends you off to do all that bullshit early in the game - so you can get the support of the Dissident Priests, then the Ashlanders and Houses, and finally the Temple. Hell, they even send you off to get Corpus just to make sure it sticks.

Yeah, but the speedrun isn't nearly as fun. It always felt like cheating to me.

Oblivion modding community gets recognition either in having people saying you should get some overhaul or lewd mods. Morrowind modding doesn't get the same recognition it deserves.

MODS COULDN'T FIX IT

Eh, I didn't hate it.

Then again I've always been a sucker for generic medieval heartlandish styled games and Oblivion rubbed me the right way.

Not gonna defend it, but I enjoyed it for what it was at least.

I've enjoyed all the games tbh fam.

-Arena was pretty rad.
-Daggerfall gives me a spontaneous erection whenever I hear its name.
-Morrowind is fucking sick, one of the best games I've ever played. Also has the DEEPEST LORE.
-Oblivion was cool, potate people are fun. It's a shame about the scenery change though and how they shoehorned in some lore about Vivec changing from a dense jungle into some boring ass forest.
-Skyrim was good for the loli mods

I think it was Talos, actually. It's bullshit, but at least they tried to explain it instead of ESO's

It was Talos who changed Cyrodiil from jungle to forest.

I thought it was the useless Bethesda writers under pressure from Zenimax Jews.

Kirkbride did some contract work for Bethesda during the development of Skyrim, and he was the one who actually wrote that retcon in. I don't know whether Bethesda needed or wanted it.

Fucking Kirkbride.

???
Kirkbride is the only reason that TES has interesting lore in the first place.

I know, I'm just being overly dramatic, even though he would have written in the reason for the retcon, I know he didn't retcon his own lore, from what I read he only worked on Knights of the Nine in TESIV.

What did he do in Skyrim?

Remember that guy raving about Talos in Whiterun? The speech is referencing Kirkbride's From the Many-Headed Talos, which explained the Cyrodiil retcon.
imperial-library.info/content/many-headed-talos

I was wondering why I couldn't find him in the credits for Skyrim.

Anybody have that comic of Kirkbride coming out of his drug coffin and chucking bottles at Colonel Sanders?

Thanks, my n'wah

Seriously fuck ESO

Same shit they did with Fallout 3 and 4.

Level scaling is Cancer and all that supports it.

I've ultimately been so .disappointed by Oblivion that I haven't even modded it. Morrowind had so many featured and design choices that I prefered. I even enjoyed Skyrim and FO3 and that's saying something. It wasn't that the mechanics aren't there but they feel like a chore. Maybe I can't get immersed due to beung European because the world is generic Western Europe esentially.

Morrowind has some amazing mods. Morrowind Rebirth as a basis for mods and using the construction set to make mods compatible is overly fun.

It's still better than having them eaten on the way.

It would be bearable if it would show only places that you had on the map already, not every point of interest that can be.

Play sidequests from Morrowind, especially Thieves' Guild and Morag Tong questlines. Also

Oh man, the Mages Guild's "Mystery of the Dwarves" was so cash. What are the Thieves Guild and Morag Tong like? I played a spellsword on my playthrough.

oblivion handled vampires better

Oblivion was my introduction to TES and it's also the only TES game I really hate. It stands for everything wrong with the series.

Morrowind is obviously the best. Daggerfall is limited by shitty random generation which makes it little more than a dungeon crawler for hardcore fans of that niche.

Skyrim had good lore and its combat was tolerable which at least opens adventuring and roleplaying possibilities - things Oblivion couldn't manage with its bland world, boring action-y combat and terrible level scaling. Best thing I can say about Oblivion is that it had one and a half good questlines. It also had spell making and that's about it. Skyrim wins everywhere else.

It's easily summed up this way:
Daggerfall was a massive dungeon crawler.
Morrowind was a top tier sandbox RPG.
Skyrim was a casual make your own adventure.
Oblivion was… a shit RPG and a shit adventure game. Right in the middle, with the worst of both worlds.

If you think Skyrim or Fallout 4 were disappointing, you need to check all the lies Bethesda gave fans before Oblivion. You'd be so fucking crushed.

The setting. The setting hurts so much.

Yeah, that's because the script that determines whether or not a kill-cam plays doesn't take damage reduction into account. It just checks if the target's remaining HP is lower than the incoming damage, and if so it has a chance to play the kill-cam. Armor DR isn't respected, it doesn't give you or the enemy the chance to block the hit or move out of the way, it just plays the awesomecoolsupercinimatic and someone instantly dies. It's bullshit and has to be the first thing you mod out if you're futilely trying to make Skyrim's combat actually tolerable.

The best way to use bows meaningfully in Oblivion is to always use poisons and enchanted arrows that combine burden+damage strength+paralysis effects. And that costs a lot.

The most fun part was doing good deeds in the name of Bal Molagmar in order to make good publicity for the Thieves' Guild.
Not only fulfilling assassination contracts, but also collecting all Sanguine items for Mephala.

Only the blood drinking mechanic, nothing more. And it didn't have the awesome quest where you had to convince someone that turning himself into a vampire would be a mistake.

I played it a couple hours of it quite a few years ago, before I played Morrowind, and I didn't think it was too bad. All I remember is going through the first oblivion gate severely under-levelled and getting my ass handed to me every step of the way. That, and climbing rocks to run away from bears.

The only thing that hurts about the setting is that someone could read those lines and think "Yeah, nah, just make it a four-district city the size of Balmora."

Oblivions had a better overarching plot. The DB questline was easily the best in Oblivion. Other than shivering Isles. Skyrims DB was alright but it doesnt compare plotwise to Oblivions, tho it was good. Seems like Bethesda does well with Assassin plotlines.

I will, I have gone on and off with Morrowind, it didn't really appeal to me, but I'm looking to go deeper into it sometime.

The only problem I ever had with the journal system was "Go find that orc between a tree and a rock" every once-in-a-while, otherwise I loved the landmark system.

Oh for fuck's sake, they can't possibly get away with shit like this. How is it possible that a few NEET's haven't pooled their neetbux together and hire a hitman to set some of those guys on fire?
I remember seeing a video showing how the radiant AI worked and none of that shit was in the final game.

An RPG open world where NPCs actually do their thing instead of just being services and quest givers is kinda the thing I'd love to play and it seems they had that. Why did they do this? Why is there not a single version of the code pre-dumbification?

Only worth your time with mods, vanilla is pretty terrible

I'm probably going to get shit for it, but I liked two things about Oblivion:

Everything else was sort of rushed and flimsy feeling, especially the dialogue.

I might reinstall just to see how Morrowblivion is.

Read the thread, I think most people would agree that the action was better than Morrowind (though still a bit shit) and that Oblivion's DB quest line was great.

The last time I played even vaguely vanilla, by the time I reached level 15 each single goblin took me over 5 minutes to kill. Each single one. I was a sneak god so none of them noticed me, I just emptied an entire inventory of arrows into each one, went to buy more, went back to the cave, and killed another one.

I have never before or since witnessed a game that fucking tedious. Other games with bags of HP at least threaten you with death by attrition. Neither of us could really hurt each other. At least in Morrowind COMBAT ENDED IN A REASONABLE TIME SPAN.

Did you not min-max hard enough?

No need to pretend you're a hardcore dude. Oblivion's combat was what user described - large health pools. It was the most monotone thing ever - attack, backpedal, block/evade, run to enemy, attack again. It took forever and suffered from health inflation. No amount of min/maxing can change that. And if you need to min/max for the game to be playable, it a terrible game.

it was 99% empty

You really do need to minmax in order for Oblivion to be decent, though. That's probably its biggest design flaw.

D A G G E R F A L L
A
G
G
E
R
F
A
L
L

Beth really have no idea how to build or even balance a passing combat system.

Daggerfall had a reason to be empty, it was running on DOS. and it was amazing they got away with such a large world.

I find it difficult and annoying to mod compared to new vegas and morrowind. Does anyone here know how to use OMM or Wyrebash when loading mods?

They went with a different aproach.
If you have a combat where you cause 10 points of damage with every hit, every second and 50% odds of missing, that's 30 damage per minute.
If you instead hit 100% of the time but cause 5 points of damage every second, that's still 30 damage per minute.

Instead of applying a hit chance flatly, they modded the damage according to what would be your hit chance.
Why? Because Morrowind sucked at telling you why you missed. It could be because of low stamina, low skill on you, higher skill on your oponent, sanctuary on your oponent or just plain old "you aren't close enough to hit him". And all of these gave the same feedback to the player, so you never knew why you missed.

This could have been solved easily by audioqueues, with a different sound for each type of "defense". Simply having a whoosh sound everytime your oponent dodged would already solve the problem of knowing if you were close enough and aimed properly to even trigger the check, for instance.

Why were you trying to kill them? Seriously?
My brother make a sneak character with illusionism as support and he spent a lot of the game not fighting anything. He'd just run through the whole dungeon either sneaking or plain running, grab all the loot from the boxes and then cast Invisibility to disappear. He was constantly filthy reach and everytime he was forced into a fight, Command Humanoid Magnitude 25 was more than enough to ensure he'd only have to face one oponent at a time.

If you didn't made a character to fight, why are you upset he is bad at fighting?

Probably because he would be sneak attacking on every hit, which does bonus damage? The supposed trade-off to being a flimsy stealth guy is being able to finish opponents quickly by dealing huge damage in one blow, as long as you aren't detected beforehand.

And what does the bonus damage tell you it does? Double Damage? Double of nothing is still nothing.
Characters that use stealth for combat use it for an upper hand at the start but they gotta have decent skills to fight as well. Did you had Blade\Blunt\Hand2Hand as a major skilled and practiced that? Or Marksman? What level were those skills compared to your Sneak skill?

Alright lets do this.
Mandatory mods
Optional, but good, mods
>your favorite nude body replacer, skimpy armour sets, and boob enlargers and jigglers but don't bother with the sex mods
and for the love of god use the patches

agreed. its the first one in the series that i tried and i played it all the way through several times. the combat is shit, it takes 1000 hits to kill enemies even with very high strength. the magic is nearly useless. the game is a fucking disaster.
morrowind has shittier graphics sure but everything else about it is better.
and skyrim may be dumbed down but at least it has a good story and cool spells that are actually useful.

did you try the morroblivion mod?
i was interested in it for a bit but setting it up seems really complicated. and tbh i really hope skywind actually gets finished

Why are you asking me? I didn't make the character.

Nope. Nehrim (sp?) is next on my list of mods to try. Still working through regular oblivion at the moment.

Doesn't Daggerfall have it too? So it wasn't even original.

Why? It's just going to be a weaker but somewhat prettier Morrowind. OpenMW is a lot more exciting.

Yeah, but all the Todd Howard games (Morrowind onward) have been very, very similar, so a feature being present in two consecutive games is a pretty good indicator that it's going to stick around. And I don't want it to. For a large-scale world like Daggerfall, I'm OK with procedural generation and randomized quests. For a hand-crafted world like all the subsequent games (a model that I prefer), it just produces quests that feel obviously lifeless by comparison.

never heard of it…links?

Jesus Christ, here.
openmw.org

the baka is you, user.

Also Tamriel Rebuilt never ever.

Wew lad

It's one thing to ask for specific info on a mod. It's another to ask for a link to something you have the name of when one quick google search would have given everything you needed.

notimpressed/10
its just a new engine to run the same old game
skywind looks a lot better and also promises new content.

that looks horrible

Just stop.

Also,
was right, I shouldn't have bothered.

Confirmed for not understanding shit about OpenMW.

How the hell do you install Deadly Reflex?

Troll.

It's a troll, user.

no its just my opinion.

Contrarian detected

Mods are not executable, you mongoloid.

I actually find it weird that there isn't more of the ramdomly generated quests in Skyrim, even as requirements for progressing in a guild.

I find it very odd that you join a guild to enjoy the benefits of training and discounts in shops of your class or support in some other way, but it never feels like you are really part of a guild doing "guild duties". And by this I don't mean some hand-made quest, I mean something like going to a public board and picking a job that needs to be done, something menial like "get me 20 vampire dust" or "go clear this cave near this town" or "go rob this high value item" that you could do anytime for some cash and reputation in the guild.

I know it sounds boring, but that's the point of busy work, just being an oportunity for some neat cash and adventure. Do enough of this to be noted by the guild and someone will contact you about a special job that awards more than usual (the one that's related to the guild story). Advance in ranks and you get better jobs that are harder but pay better available to you.

No, it's not.

Have you tried reading the instructions?

so me saying i think it doesnt look any better than skywind means im fucking trolling!?

Beautiful views.

Not everything needs to be alien world to be interesting.

You're digging your own grave deeper and deeper. By this point, I think you should just leave to make things less awkward.

Skyrim did have stuff like that, though. If you wanted to complete the Thieves Guild quest line, you had to do loads of radiant quests. The Companions had a few, mostly rescue/intimidation quests. The other guilds had them, but I don't think they were ever mandatory.
The thing was, they never really felt menial, like you're talking about. I think the point of them was just to be an endless source of filler, so they couldn't really be closely tied to your current rank in the guild.

Obviously that was an opinion. Just a silly one.
OpenMW is a big deal because it's open source, so it will run on any platform. And it can integrate fixes that, before, were only possible in executable patches like the Morrowind Code Patch. This also means that it has a lot of room for potential growth, both graphically and mechanically, and it will be more readily able to serve as a base for future total-conversion mods.

i would definately be into it if people were producing content for it. when do you think that will happen?

Well, development will speed up once OpenCS ever gets finished.

New content? I don't know. Technically all (or at least most) Morrowind mods will be compatible with OpenMW when it's complete. But any future OpenMW-specific mods are still probably a ways off, likely a few years.

I read the best argument recently.

Everything Oblivion does better than Skyrim, Morrowind does it even better.

Everything Oblivion does better than Morrowind, Skyrim does it even better.

That sounds accurate.

the only thing i hate about morrowind is the hit/miss dice roll.

Yeah, it's confusing.

Pretty much all of those mods require omm and that script editor one (earlier version, I think v5?). Both are mentioned on the DR6 mod page.
I tried doing everything manually for a while and god it's a pain in the ass. Just use omm for everything.

Morrowind was a lot more cRPG and Skyrim was more aRPG.

I've got OMM, and it looks nothing like what you've got. I thought Deadly Reflex didn't work without an omod?

Maybe you're just retarded, user. The instructions are pretty simple. You don't even have to unpack the zipped folder.

Last time I felt like trying Oblivion again (several years ago) I used OMODs for once, promptly fucked the entire thing up and ended up never playing the game. If I have the autism to be modding Oblivion I'm going to have the autism to manage my own files.

That's how you sound.
OpenMW could be a huge thing, huge enough to revitalize morrowind's modding community and make it almost as incombustible as doom's community.
People could even make TCs and be able to sell them if they don't use any morrowind asset.

Maybe I downloaded the wrong mod. Where'd you download deadly reflex?

From the nexus where everything else is.
Pretty sure the halfchan /tesg/ has its own site too but it's mostly just links to the nexus.

Where the hell were you looking anyway?

Do people still do FCOM? That shit is mandatory for me. A few others I can't play without:

ok i see your point. hope it does become a success man. it would be nice to see some new content made for the game.

T-this nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/26103/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/ajax/moddescription/?id=26103&preview=&pUp=1

Try to find the original upload. Your link has how to find it in the description otherwise google
I know you can do it, user.

Oblivion was far more interesting than skyrim. Although skyrim had better locations especially the dwrarven ruins. But cmon oblivion turned EVERYTHING into a cool quest, skill training, paintings,thieving whores,and everything in between. I like both but I prefer oblivion. Skyrim smithing was cool though.

Well I had to do a clean re-install of everything it seems, I couldn't even get oblivion to start up unmodded. I'll see if I can figure this shit out this time around.

nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/8273/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/ajax/moddescription/?id=8273&preview=&pUp=1

This one, right?

Yeah.
Don't worry about getting the extra hud bars though and turn off the screen splatter shit. I've found the 150% damage bonus timed block is better than the 250% one but come late game you might want to switch it up to 250% come late game when everything is a damage sponge.

It had two faction lines, a good number of misc quests, and a few Daedra quests that were great. Then you had shit like the Nirnroot quest and the main quest line.

When does that Enderal one come.out? or whatever. will we get german with ennglish text options?

What the fuck were they thinking when they did the main quest?
It got to the point where I made a full set of 25% chameleon gear for 100% invisibility all the time and just ran through without fighting anything. How the hell could they make the rest of the game so interesting but the main quest so shit?

Cause you weren't the main character.

so you're saying martin was?

Except you were. You were there when Septim died. You were the one to find Martin. You solved the riddle of the Commentaries, infiltrated the cult lair, and stole their special book. You gathered the Daedra artifact and special armor. You won the military support of all the cities and shut down the massive Oblivion gate. You invaded Camoran's paradise and killed him. You even drove back the final boss for Martin to get into the temple. All Martin really did was sit around Cloud Ruler Temple for a while then turn into a dragon. He wasn't the main character; he was the mcguffin.

Right now if the engine had support for the content I've been making for it, even as it is I can't get new architecture into it because I can't precision place objects or even rotate them in the CS, there may be functionality for this but the documentation is non-existent, It has potential well beyond anything for Skyrim, especially when you can extend the engine to do things more efficiently than scripts can, on top of making it easier to integrate certain mods thanks to less redundancy. Additionally you can do things that scripts can't achieve with custom code, Within the first year of a full release if the engine supports you should key content replacers and new content systems starting to appear.

Some mods will need to be changed to work with Open-MW, there aren't any plans to integrate MWSE as much as extend the current scripting system to add support for these features, personally I think they should keep legacy MW script support and move to lua or python, there are actually forks that do this but I'm not sure if they are still supported and either way that isn't the standard download so if you wanted to script all your mods in lua you would be reaching a small part of the small open-mw population.

He was probably referring to the alternate main quest where you start by killing Vivec. Or that you can skip Nerevarine & Hortator by having enough fame.

Also yes, the speedrun route is boring.

Only because in Morrowind, vampirism is so crippling, most quests are stalled until you get fixed.

Damage poisons work nicely too. Posions in general are one of the few improvements in Oblivion.

Stealing things, helping fellow thieves. Also a series of optional quests where you play Morrowind Robin Hood.

Executing people, dealing with enemies in the Dark Brotherhood, and an optional quest to find a collection of items.

I prefer the one where you have to kill some uppity vampire hunter in the sun.

I would've liked some repeatable quests for the major guilds instead of just the same old story over and over again like Oblivion. Especially for the Mages Guild where most of it is solving random problems by any means, or dealing with Necromancers.

Except that's wrong. Quake III based games for example, or even just stuff like OBSE.

They're probably just using the regular CS so that's not the problem. It's just hard to find dedicated modders.

Don't recommend installing DR. Causes a shitload of bloating and save game issues, scripting errors and corruptions, and has such janky animations and badly-textured gore that it's not even worth the payoff.

Setting it in the Imperial City was a really bad design flaw for sure, in hindsight. Even today's technology can't even come close to producing a city the size of it alongside a full open world. Especially back in 2006 they should've known this. What's supposed to be a gigantic, majestic city and the heart of the Empire is a loosely connected set of districts with 2-5 buildings in each and a whopping population of about 10 people and guards.

I think an open world RPG that takes place in a giant city would be awesome if the setting was good enough to generate intrigue, like Ravnica or Waterdeep.

The Imperial City itself, and the island about it, would have been the perfect setting for an actual game with a greater degree of density. Since the game wasn't going to have levitation anyways, just using the island itself as the border would have been fine, and having the bridges barricaded off.

But that might have made for an interesting game, and Bethesda couldn't have gone ahead and allowed that, could they?

Yeah, just imagine that. Oblivion, except instead of going around closing Oblivion Gates like a retard, you'd be dealing with the plot of the Mythic Dawn within the city. The Blades could have stayed as they were in Daggerfall and Morrowind - a covert group - and you would help them out. They could have had all sorts of cool encounters as you wandered outside the gates, like an insane river dragon causing trouble.

The game could have ditched the instanced areas of the city, and instead gone with a single open world. Just the insides of buildings would have been instanced, and those interior cells would make up the greater part of shit. But within the exterior, you would be able to level Alteration up and use Jump, or your high Acrobatics, to spring across rooftops for missions in the Thieves Guild and the like.

The Arcane University was already there, so the Mages Guild could have dealt with more stuff that actually regarded studying. You could take advantage of the weak liminal barriers to open an Oblivion Gate of your own and enter for a quest.

For the Daedric Princes, some would have hidden shrines all about. But you could always summon them on their summoning day by working with either the Temple or the Mages Guild, and acquire artifacts by handling affairs for them within the sprawling city.

The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood go without saying - none of the great quests featured within would have been impossible with this. In fact, the Thieves Guild quests would be much better. I imagine the Fighters Guild would be as well, in this setting, as you deal with troubles within and without of the walls - the rampaging river dragon, as mentioned.

Yeah, Oblivion could have been absolutely amazing. We could have had the Imperial City, and it could have been one of the most memorable set-pieces in all of gaming history.

Instead we got Oblivion.

The saddest thing is they might do that at some point, since Assassin's Creed's been doing similar things and has been extremely popular. However, I don't think Bethesda has it in them to make a great game anymore. Morrowind was a fluke. Oblivion was a big step down. Skyrim just fell flat on its face. They'll make a massive city world with no depth and no intricacies populated by the same three B-Movie voice actors and expect modders to step in to fix everything, as usual.

I'll chime in with disliking the elder scrolls universe, it's lore, it's races even the font but I do like the music and the exploring and finding unique situations and gear. That's why I just wait for the GOTY releases with all the dlc and wait for that to go on sale.

Morrowind was the most enjoyable for my exploration itch, Oblivion did some questing right but the gear was bland and uninteresting. I can't get into Skyrim because it just seems like an empty mountainous area, but I don't think I've giving it a proper chance yet.

Oblivions map is probably the best to explore in terms of world detail and environment design.

Lel, I mean Skyrim, Skyrim's map is the best to explore.

Fine: ELDER SCROLLS mods (.esp and .esm files) are not executable, you mongoloid.
I don't count stuff like OBSE as mods, since they don't add new content.

Pic related.

If I remember correctly, they've literally said they're waiting for OpenCS, as it comes with features that the regular CS doesn't.

But he responded to my post detailing the back route, so he obviously meant the speedrun.

Is that first pic Dagoth Ur or Nerevar? It looks like the Tribunal arguing outside.

Nerevar.

You can tell it's Nerevar because of the sick ass mohawk.

Is openmw complete enough that I can reliably use it instead of regular morrowind?

Yes, but it lacks distant land. For some that's a deal breaker.

good thing I don't use that then. I guess I'll do my next playthrough on it, since from what I can see the save file converter is missing a bunch of stuff.

Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim

Modded Oblivion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Modded Skyrim>>>>Skyrim>>>Oblivion

Morrowind deserves its own category because it's a strong independent RPG that don't need no mods.

It's terrible that Bethesda sabotaged the modding capabilities of Skyrim because if it had the same freedom they gave Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim would have EVERYTHING Oblivion had and more. This is why it's not only lagging behind Oblivion nearly five years later but it's pretty much dead. The most you can get out of Skyrim is really nice screenshots but with Oblivion almost everything is fixable and if it's not fixable it's replaceable. You have to really consider what that means. The first things that get replaced and fixed are the most glaring problems but with Oblivion those not only got fixed but there were competing alternatives for fixes and upgraded-replacements, i.e. you don't just have the option of patching the problem you can tear out and replace it with something better. You don't have that option with Skyrim and you never will. Bethesda made sure and the mod community figured this out before November 2011 was over.

Notice I didn't say anything about their Vanilla counterparts? Vanilla is a joke for both games. It's not worth discussing. Modded, Oblivion is like ascending to higher planes of existence while Skyrim gets a mellow acid trip. If you want enlightenment you have it and its yours, the mods made it possible and exceeded beyond their expectations. With Skyrim, "mods will fix it" became a meme and then it became a sad joke but it wasn't finished, it became a delusion. The choice is yours.

Yeah, until Oblivion crashes because even with all the fixes it's still unstable as fuck and a complete pain in the ass to get working, unless you barely mod it.

Hmm. What about Moon-and-Star? Wasn't its curse supposed to kill anyone that wasn't the reincarnation of Nerevar?

Depends on the spider.

According to legend. It could simply be that Azura can say who it kills or not, or it may not have that sort of curse at all. It's not like you can test it.

Are you saying that among all Ashlander ghosts of failed Nerevarines like those in the Cavern of the Incarnate there wasn't anyone killed by the ring? It wouldn't be difficult to test, if you could "persuade" some convict awaiting execution to wear it instead of being hanged.

I haven't been following what's been going on with ESO but apparently the lore got raped really hard? Does anyone have more info on the subject? Pic unrelated.

I meant ingame. You can't, say, pickpocket a person, put the ring in their inventory, and see if they wear it and die. Also, I'm pretty sure each ghost tells you how they failed, and none of them said they were killed by the ring.

If the ring doesn't actually have that effect, the first person you put it on is going to claim that they're the Nerevarine. And you start out as a convict, so it's not like that can rule anyone out.

Oblivion is better than skyrim because you can make goofy ass characters like these and actually have more than 3 stats (HP/MP/EG).

You must do a poor job modding to not know how to mitigate crash issues. First off, it's a Bethesda game, it will crash. It's just a matter of when but it shouldn't be is a matter of how. If you are pleb enough to blame it on a heavily modded installation then you don't know what the fuck you're doing and should stick to consoles.

Oblivion crashes on consoles, too.

I mod Skyrim a ton. I mod Morrowind a ton. I've modded Oblivion, too, and it is the most unstable game of the three by far. I know how to mod these games. Oblivion is just that shit.

Then you put it on two.

Weird as fuck. No idea what caused it either.

is that ted cruz?

Going to guess some enhanced stealth mod or something. Maybe it's aggressively recalculating your sneaking stat based on light or something?

The resemblance is startling.

The whole "level up stats as you go along!" system is so retardedly flawed that it makes simply playing through the game a god damn chore. Oh no I better not jump now because it will raise this useless ass stat and make all the enemies stronger! Yeah because that's a fantastic game mechanic. At least Skyrim didn't have this dumb as fuck dynamic difficulty system.

I don't have any mods like that. Besides, it's not even always in the dark, it's just near forts' exteriors. Inside the forts (in the dark) the framerate is fine. I thought it was the grass but it's fine in fields with grass.
I did use that unique landscapes mod but the lag persists without it.

OpenCS will work a lot different to vanilla, so maybe they want it for that. I'd be surprised if it's something they actually can't do with the vanilla CS.

For vanilla yes, but some mods don't work.

Plus you're stuck with the atrocious unmodded experience.

My mistake.

Not an Imperial, each time. Only they have the racial bonus to Mercantile.

Todd Howard hates Greco Romans, but Altmers are the actual Jews of Elder Scrolls.

Never mind, I decided not to be a faggot and look it up myself. Holy shit I didn't expect things to be so bad.

This is literally the only fun thing to do in the game, here's mine.

its aged like shit

it has a lot of good stuff, but some glaring bad

aesthetics are shit compared to Skyrim

voice acting is done by like 3 people

dungeons/caves were terribly repetitive

Skyrim is better

Bretons make the best tanky spell swords and looters.
Fuck mercantile.

I like Skyrim, but come on, mate.

I bet you don't even kill all the Argonians you see for being abominations.

Make sure you don't have an ambient light mod or something like that. It's probably trying to calculate a fuckton of 'ambient' shadows as soon as a main light source disappears.

Why wasted good labor? Who else are you going to get to clean your sewers?

Anything is better than an Argonian. I'd rather have a goblin do it.
Khajiit and Bosmer aren't abominations, but they are unworthy of life, since they're just primal spirits masquerading as mer. I won't exterminate every one I come across, but I'll happily kill them whenever an easy opportunity presents itself.

But all beings, with the exception of Argonians, originated from the primal spirits that initially inhabited Nirn after its creation.

Khajiit and Bosmer are different. Mer and men gradually, naturally descended from the Ehlnofey. Bosmer did not develop into the form they have now, it's only a thin disguise given to them by Y'ffre. The Khajiit aren't quite as bad, since their disguise is more stable, but they're still fundamentally unnatural, wrong, and false. But overall, they probably have the most accurate understanding of the world's metaphysics.

I've been playing this too. Yesterday I spent 5 hours installing mods. I tried unneccessary violence 3, I wouldn't recommend it. It adds a really annoying head bob that wasn't compatable with the boob physics mod I was using and it made the first person camera go crazy. I ended up using vanilla combat enhanced, which I think will go well with realistic leveling.

Basically:
Argonians < Bosmer < Khajiit < Orsimer < Dunmer < The other races.
Orsimer and Dunmer are lower on that list because they're both cursed (by Boethiah and Azura, respectively).

But what makes the gradual, slow development any more right than what Bosmer and Khajiit went through? I mean, if you're going to use "natural" as an argument, then technically, all of Nirn and mortal existence is "unnatural" and "false". You're using arbitrary qualifications with only the inherit value that you personally assign to it.

Ironically, you have an Orc rebuild his shrine in Morrowind.

It's like an ape being dressed up in clothes. It's not a person, no matter how much it looks like one. They're hiding their true form in order to blend in with the society of Tamriel. It's dishonest and deceptive. The Khajiit are at least open about it, though–and you could try to make the argument that their transition was permanent and stable. The Bosmer, on the other hand, are incredibly secretive and self-conscious about the fact that they're not really mer, to the point that they won't even acknowledge the Wild Hunt or their cannibalism (which is fucked up in its own right).

But that depends on how you define what a person is. Bosmer are just as intelligent as the other races. They're capable of all the same things and act within society just as effectively as any other race. Your only reason is seriously just "they're a different form of life," with no real justification as to why that's objectively inferior to any other form of life.

You're splitting hairs. If we were friends, and I revealed to you that I was actually secretly a shoggoth, would that deception not strike you as a shitty thing?

Never said that, 0/10.

Sure, but you said Khajiit fell within category of "unworthy of life," which you've said aren't dishonest about their nature, so obviously it isn't that dishonesty that makes Bosmer "unworthy."

But if you have no objective qualifier as to why they shouldn't live, then you are just using arbitrary standards based upon your own personal biases.

Confirmed for being Bosmer.

Never said I liked the squeakers, but if you aren't going to have a logical reason for your behavior, then don't act like you're in the right.

All the vanilla women are rude cunts in Skyrim tbh, kind of like the children, except you're allowed to murder them. Ysolda and Skallfu are the only exceptions I remember.

Actual Ashkenazim are a mix of Hebrew and Mediterranean (mostly Italian and Iberian).

That graph obviously doesn't factor in graphical mods.

Great game. Great Elder Scrolls game? Maybe not. I sure enjoyed sinking loads of hours into it in any case