Nintendo NX Using Cartridges?

This topic has come up before, but the company that supplies ROM products to Nintendo for the 3DS is expecting a significant order from Nintendo for ROM products.

screencritics.co.uk/2016/05/04/is-the-nintendo-nx-about-ditch-the-disc-drives-for-cartridges/

Other urls found in this thread:

osnews.com/story/18986/Nintendos-ES-Operating-System
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

At least, it isn't a Neofag rumor.

So is this a new handheld or something?

If it has load times then cartridges will be pointless.

If it has an SD card or USB slot it will be pointless.

Load times aren't what they're trying to avoid.

I think carts would be alright if theyre 32 gigs. But considering how devs like to bloat their games past 50 gigs these days i hope wont be the 64 all over again.

Said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a phone (or handheld but likely a phone). It will have a 'console' 'dock' that allows couch play with moar grafix.

Yeah, it might just be cartridges. Solid state storage in general has massively improved since the 90's; so cartridges no longer represent an unreasonably high cost.

I agree. They simply want to remove the disc drive and possibly the HDD from the system. Whether that's for cost reasons or size constraints [i.e. the system is portable or has a portable element to it] who knows.

Theyre still more expensive than disks though

I was suggesting that game cartridges are more difficult to pirate. However, if there is some kind of SD card or USB slot on it people will figure out ways to HD load anyway. You're right too though.

Not for a (semi?) portable system. Optical media necessitates moving parts, and moving parts increase the cost and size of the hardware. So for something the size of a DS cartridge or so, ROM would be the cheaper option by quite a large margin.

They'd have to essentially be running Android then, wouldn't they? Would anyone trust Nintendo to deliver a full-featured OS that could reliably and smoothly deliver the features expected in a modern phone?

I meant individually carts cost nore than disks.

I think Blu-ray discs cost less than a dollar per disc. Obviously removing the moving parts can lower the cost for Nintendo and lower the initial console price for the consumer, but I don't see where ROM cartridges would be less expensive than Blu-ray discs for typical console games on the publisher's end.

Isn't the 3DS cracked wide open?

SO MORE RUMOR GAME

Why does it seem like Nintendos ideas always sound okay yet terrible at the same time on paper lately?

On one hand there may be a big market for traditional consoles cartridges (perhaps the same autistic collectors who bought amiibos)

On the other hand it may come off marketing wise as archaic in the west (unless they do some marketing-magic to make it seem "cutting edge") and they may be expensive to manufacture

With modern technology cartridges could be very impressive. Today, a cartridge the size of an N64 cart could easily hold 100gb+ of data. It could allow some very unique methods of handling data. Things like level streaming could be more easily done through a cartridge.
But I think Nintendo would rather pay the cost of blu-rays. Whatever they'd save on HDD costs with cartridges probably wouldn't be very cost effective in the long run.
With Nintendo being in a tight spot with their finances right now I doubt they'd give up saving that almighty dollar for some extra performance and not having to install HDDs into their system.

Mobile shills get out your OS is cock.

The hole in the 3DS' security was purely through software, not through hardware, it was cracked wide open because people found software exploits, not cartridge exploits. The only reason cartridge dumps are even a thing is because of homebrew

Oh come one now, explain how Android is bloated?

Java? Try again, Android doesn't use a Java VM and most Android games aren't even written in Java, Android has a native C library and the archaic java bits are handled by Android Runtime, and in fact Androids native C library, Bionic, is designed to be lighter than the GNU gclib, the most bloated thing in an Android system is the launcher itself at best

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Macronix makes cheapo Flash ROMs for all kinds of applications.

I'd guess that the internal storage will be a bigass MX chip.

Load times will be a hell of a lot better on a solid-state media, versus a spinning magnetic/optical disc. Probably not perfect (flash is sloooow compared to the rest of the system, versus the old days when the cartridge was single-cycle) though.

Nintendo could be absorb that cost so that publishers don't see a difference. If they save $5 dollars on each unit by not having a disc drive, then they could probably eat the $0.25 difference on each game copy.

Really could depend on how many carts Nintendo is having made, the cost for production drops the more you have manufactured.

Nintendo could also be going through some system where they selling back cartridges to publishers to make revenue, which is pretty fucking stupid unless they are dirt cheap.

It has an SD card slot and as said.

Now take a look at the Vita. Cartridge based, proprietary "Memory Card". Completely unfucked with by pirates.

Completely unfucked with by devs, too

kek

No way Nintendo can compete on the phone market. It's a gaming tablet that has a home mode. It's going to cost similar to the PS4 and underperform the Xbox One.

Distinct lack of checking my digits in here.

Maybe they don't have to "compete" but compliment it like every other Android handset that isn't make by Samsung

This would of course require they run their shit on Android, which would admittedly be really underwhelming and shitty but I think the reality is Nintendo may not have a choice unfortunately, it could be a heavily modded version of Android with proprietary DRM and cartridge slots to distinguish it from the endless sea of other Chunk units

why would they do that
why not

Imagine a 3ds with a sim card.

That's all this shit would be. And you know retards would buy it, it has the mareos on it.

Because then they'd have to be competing with smartphones again like with 3DS, granted the 3DS wasn't a failure, it wasn't as successful as the DS and competition from smartphones may be the reason

Its just a matter of wither or not Nintendo would be willing to sacrifice their dignity, and I'm afraid they are since they have been trying to into smartphones somehow for awhile

This was one of the most uninformed posts I've ever read

I somehow doubt the ports of GTA and Doom 1-3 had to be rewritten in Java user, there still needs to be some java to interface with Dalvik/Android Runtime but that's it

Does Nintendo have the in-house expertise to develop their own OS? If they really don't like Google and Apple dominating the mobile games distribution market, I could see them making a play.

I think google made the gamecube's os or something

Nintendo already does develop their own OS' dummy, realtime/embedded OS'

Usually the're called rudimentary names like IOS for the Wiis RTOS that ran on its embedded ARM9 CPU (alongside the PPC CPU for everything else) and the 3DS' FIRM

DolphinOS was also in-house m8

Nintendo actually developed their own UNIX-like Operating System for x86 as a research OS called es OS
osnews.com/story/18986/Nintendos-ES-Operating-System

If it's real cartridges and not just flash cartridges tarted up to look like cartridges, then this could be a potentially good design decision. The "shadow hardware upgrading" that cartridges use to do was one of the big benefits of pre-optical consoles. That does bring in to question about any kind digital distribution though. You can't download a cartridge. So if they still use an online store they'll also have to have something like the N64's expansion pack. Which would still be better than what they've been doing with the 3DS (and what Sony is doing with the PS4).

Because having every individual unit of game storage cost significant fraction of overall price is such a great idea, not to mention the whole "it's an its own hardware" thing and that if it fails, you're shit out of luck.

Fucking moron.

It worked back then, it can work now
Nigger
Prices and tech are dragging vidya back, even with all the PC fuckery, which doesn't mean a lot if devs are too lazy

Carts have always been tougher than flash or discs.

I hope your garbled sentence isn't implying that they put additions like the super fx chip on cartridges, carts will have only one advantage, faster loading times over disc based storage, if anything the adoption of carts implies that the device Nintendo will be selling is going to be portable.

You could replicate same ruggedness if you use 90's tier tech. If you're going for 50 nm or less manufactured dies, that shit won't cut it, putting it on a cart is signing it off as waste material because it's gonna fail soon. I mean shit, nigger, do I need to remind you how much heat modern microprocessors dissipate? Just to recap, they produce so much heat they need dedicated active cooling. Remember your NES having a bunch of 60 mm fans installed on it? Nowdays you won't see a console without a fan, unless it's low-powered handheld.

They would be moving into a marketplace with even fiercer competition that moves at a significantly faster pace where older phones that aren't Iphones devalue at a faster rate than consoles, I mean I know Nintendo are really good at making bad decisions but this decision seems far too far fetched, especially with them already making phone games for the phone market.

You sound like you are shitting words and know less than nothing about which you speak.

Reminder that marketing folks have no fucking idea what looks cool and what will sell.
They actually thought that bare optical discs are more "appealing" than pic related, never mind that it looks cooler and fixes most problems with optical media. We could've had cool futuristic shit and said goodbye to scratches but no, fuck you, here's another two decades of frisbees.
You can trust them to fuck up cartridges in the same manner, picking the worst possible format and not taking advantage of all the nice stuff you can do with a cartridge. (such as local storage or onboard expansion hardware)

They went without disk casings because it was cheaper that way and because they could get away with it. Nobody ever fucking cared about customer, they only cared whether or not you gonna eat up their shit.

I have the complete NTSC-U collection of every NES, SNES, Master System, GB/GBC/GBA, Game Gear, Playstation and N64 game sitting on a 1TB external with a few hundred gigs remaining.

Physical media was a msitake.

Those aren't even games.

Unfortunately some people seem to think they are and would just get a smartphone over a 3DS to save money, this is why they are in competition

And I agree with those people. It won't take long until Smart-whatever vs Handhelds becomes the new PC vs Consoles.
Making closed rigid platforms when you could run software in whatever device you like in whatever way you wish is getting stale by the minute. People shouldn't have to wait for firmware exploits in order to fully utilize the device they bought.

user, every new platform is a walled garden. That's not going to change.

Finish high school then comment

They still eat up sales

I had a mini-disc player back in the day. It was great and I really liked it. Came out a weird time, though, because pretty soon after all the mp3 players started to hit the market.

I don't think you know what an OS really is.

I think it's a smart move, cartridges would be cheap as hell to produce, N64-sized cartridges would be able to hold an ungodly amount of data with today's technology and, most importantly, they could really work the whole nostalgia angle.

Another generation of kids that get to blow into cartridges, we'd be living in the comfiest era possible.

Probably the first real piece of good news I've heard about the NX so far, even if it's only a rumor.

Cartridge tech has gotten pretty good while discs have pretty much stagnated ever since Blu-Ray became a thing (read and seek times of optical media is still dogshit, the only real improvement has been to storage size). Though I'm not entirely sure if they will be able to truly get away with not having a disc drive of some kind, if they want it to be backwards compatible with the Wii U that is.

It was in reference to Nintendo producing a smartphone, or a handheld with smartphone capabilities. As such, the smartphone would be expected to run all of the apps that other smartphones currently do. Would you trust Nintendo to deliver a ground up OS that handles everything modern smartphones do with the same level of intuitiveness as the most widely-used mobile OS? Would you trust Nintendo to have all expected apps available when such a platform launched?

If anything, they'd probably just spin-off their own version of Android or Linux.

A 2TB HDD is $100 at the consumer level, and would be about $60 tops if purchased through a bulk wholesale deal.

You can fit 100 20GB games on a 2TB HDD, and the NX is going to probably be 360/ps3 graphics at 60fps, so the average size is going to be between 10 and 15GB.

There is no reason to use expensive cartridges when they could just ship the console with a big HDD and sell digital downloads at $50 and dvds (that will be installed on the HDD) for $60.

So, the NX is just the Wii U?

Yeah I expected a no games joke.

Same could be said about Wii U though but that's been hacked.

What are the chances that a third party developer would refuse to develop for the NX if it went down the route of cartridges?
Would it even make a significant difference to the development?

codblops 2 on wiiu has frequent drops to

one day, my dreams.

In what world would that ever be a superior business plan to just jewing whales with physical DLC?

Nigger, that would be the same business plan.

You release amiibo for 60 bucks a pop and they are used for digital downloads of games, Think of the virtual console applications alone.
Nintendo doesnt spend much of anything for digital downloads, its why they want people to stop buying physical copies, they also make shittons of cash off amiibo, which is why they want to push that.

So if you take an amiibo, jack up the price for it, then sell it with a digital download, its win win, nintendo makes stupid money and the customer gets the impression that the value of his amiibo + game was higher than what he actually purchased it for.

People who dont actually buy amiibos will start buying amiibos. People who dont want to pay 10 bucks for a digital download of LoZ will suddenly be willing to pay 15 bucks for it because they get an amiibo out of it, so now nintendo sells a more expensive amiibo and it took nothing out of their pocket.

vs

Why would you ever choose the latter when the former is making you more money and is wildly successful to the point that even people who don't own a fucking wii/wiiu are buying them.

Dumbest shit ever. It would not work.

Nintendo only releases Amiibo's in limited quantities. Artificial scarcity keeps up demand and value. They would have to overproduce making the plastic figures themselves fucking worthless.

You already have scammers selling fake Amiibo's regularly. Now they get to charge even more for them. For no fucking reason other than you're a faogg that likes collecting toys.

If you can just scan an amiibo, download the game and then have it on your system people would try to resell amiibo's, which means each amiibo would need to come with a CD-Key. If I have a fucking CD-Key I can just put that into the eShop and download the game that way, once again making the amiibo completely fucking worthless.

Just shut up. Just fucking shut up. Don't ever post again you underaged retarded fuckwit.

Get the fuck out

I really wish they'd just use USB 3.0 or some shit. Then they can design the fuck out of the outside of the USB pen drive.

Some walls are taller than others, at least at the consumer retard level smartphones don't "seem" as restrictive as handhelds.

Since the NX is also the platform for their new handheld this doesn't really surprise, and doesn't necessarily mean much.

cool, imagine all the shit they can fit into a console with cartridges nowadays?

because you retard, people buy things they wouldnt otherwise when they have perceived saving money.

For fucks sake look at twilight princess, that right there proves how wrong you are because people BOUGHT A FUCKING GAMECUBE GAME FOR 60 BUCKS BECAUSE IT CAME WITH A FUCKING AMIIBO

hurr, muh game theory
Funny because any time i walk through the electronics are of the store i see it jam packed with amiibo.

The "artificial scarcity" has only been a thing for a few amiibo, all of which also happen to be from less popular games, so the conspiracy seems awfully stupid when it can be blamed more evidently on NOA being retarded.

oh yea, that reminds me, its only a fucking NOA problem isnt it? you can get a japanese rosalina without issue, cant you? on amazon right the fuck now, kiddo.

This david icke shit has got to go, every fucking thing on the planet is some sort of vidya conspiracy to you nimrods because you feel it adds excitement to your boring ass life, and theres just no fucking way that a company could just be poorly operated, no, youre right dude, amiibos are a scam to make nintendo less money, sjws have taken over the treehouse, konami forced out kojima over pachinko, there is a chapter 3, xbox is spying on you for the CIA, blah blah blah

youre right, in a world where amiibos get recolored, why do we even play video games?

you ever think about just not fucking buying them you retard? I dont, its weird because it seems like people who do buy them do it entirely so they can bitch about it on Holla Forums

and then im thinking of a way to make amiibos worthwhile, and youre going right back to it

You have to go back

Nintenyearolds everyone.

I have no love for the Nintendo fanbase, but why wouldn't Nintendo have the resources?

Stop posting fuckwad.

The point isn't not buying them, the point is Nintendo having the gall to sell reskinned amiibos in the first place. Now you want them to tie games into these cheap-ass figurines? Who the fuck would pay money for something that's more worthless than your average 20 dollar Nendo?

DONT BUMP THREADS I DONT LIKE
fuck off

DONT SAY WORDS I DONT LIKE
you can go with him.

As far as optical media & readers have come, isn't it still faster to just use flash memory?

Not only that, but consoles constantly having to install shit on limited internal space is a fucking hassle.
At least if it's on flash memory then the only need for internal space would be updates.
You wouldn't even have to give it much internal space if you weren't relying on digital download sales.

Might be interesting if the flash memory was writable & the cartridges themselves could be written with updates & such.

What the fuck moonman?

see

That micro sd costs more than a fucking 2tb hdd.

Flash is still super expensive compared to optic.

you act like they just announced a whole new line of amiibos recolored and then sold with exclusive features.

Its fucking two amiibos colored differently for people who would prefer their personal color, And I wont be surprised to see them finish the lineup by introducing another set to make sure you can get either gender with whatever color you use in the game.

Like seriously what are you even complaining about.

Stop posting fuckwad.

You're talking about the Splatoon ones, I'm talking about the Mario/Link/Pikachu recolors that are the exact fucking same, with Ninty knowing that loyal fans will spend boatloads for them anyway. It's scummy

You say that, but the OP is talking about NX using cartridges. Is that happening or not?

If we're speculating in that vein, my idea of writable media which can store updates+DLC data would be very useful if they're making a mobile/home console (as their limited talks about NX have suggested). If there is a mobile device, truly mobile unlike the wii u gamepad which must be tethered to the console, then a physical media which could be plugged into either device AND store updates+DLC would, again, be very useful.

Traditional hard disks are cheapest as says, but the OP is suggesting NX will use cartridges regardless so that's what I'm speculating about.

Not gonna lie, Satan. I'd be okay with this.

The NX launch is supposedly going to coincide along a new handheld, so I think it's safe to say that if there are cartridges involved, it will be for that handheld.

It just doesn't make sense for the primary console.

Mayhaps nintendo is not going to try make 120gb games that also run on digital cameras. Just a thought.

They're not going to have to eat the bullshit piracy subsidies for universal SD cards, and Nintendo quality games fit on affordable cartridges just fine.

Whatever you choose to believe will happen doesn't need a retarded argument to back it up.

Yes and no, it is true the average Smartphone game will sell more copies than the average console game, but the average smartphone game also costs 99 cents vs 40-60 dollars for a console game, so the average console game is much higher grossing

If there's one thing gaming should adopt from Hollywood its net gross nodels instead of sales numbers

You're either a shill or really, really young.

Please leave the board.

If you don't have an argument grounded in reality to back up your shitty opinion, why are you even here?

I think you're confused. Nobody here is trying to shill for Android. When we say "it'll probably run on Android", we're saying it like

The age of Nintendo is over. At this point its just a race to see how hard this piece of shit will fail. Running on Android is basically the worst thing you could imagine. Android and Amiibo, wew.

This is exactly the shithole that needs to learn how to fucking use google instead of me educating you over your dead dad and cunt of a mother.

Bumb for quality thread.

Holla Forums is getting really bad lately. You're so hip repeating the two most boring, paranoid and self congratulatory gamergate threads memes on Holla Forums in recent memory.

You've been in this thread for 5 hours. I just stumbled across it and read through a bunch of niggers bragging about whose price tag adorned sneakers are more pimping.

Which one is being paid to spread opinions?

Source on running on Android? Or are you just trying to develop your newfound sense of self?

Value comes from peoples personal perception of things. Currently, the software value of amiibo is nearly zero. How is nintendo conning people into buying them?

At least Gravity Rush is really good

I know the whole Nintedoomed thing has been floating along for years but we seriously look like we may see an end to Nintendo soon
I doubt that this will out sell anything

This wouldn't have happened if they'd gone about the Wii U a different way.

They should've waited a bit and not rushed to jump to the next console.

I think that if they didn't go full Tumblr Nintendo would be doing a lot better
Ever since Iwata died and the floodgates opened Nintendo sections have been ghost towns

We got full circle
Cartridges were shit and low capacity, can't ram all those final fantasy FMVs on it, so we gotta have 4 disks
Now disks are shit, can't handle all those full LD 720x24 fps movies and shit, and we need SD cards or something like that

What a time to be alive

Also, is Brazil blocked? no matter how many times I do the captcha, I always need to do another one, unless I am using my USA proxy

Yeah but that's me you and other anons.
I don't pick up censored games but the average consumer probably doesn't even know.

I mean financially, the reason why the Wii U didn't sell that well and now they're all rushing to abandon ship while leaving us in it.

Wtf are you on about?

No I'd say that the Wii U was holding up before then and I'd say that the "4chan" was what was holding up the Wii U

He's a Hue, Hues never make sense

that's a physical media though

NO

The only reason NES cartridges got so unreliable, and thus we blew into them, was the connection to the hastily added on extra part that authenticated them as real cartridges. Everything else was fine, that was the one part that failed, and triggered the "piracy protection" of resetting over and over. However, Nintendo had that all ironed out by the SNES, thus nobody ever had any need to blow on their SNES or N64 cartridges.

So even if they went with cartridges again, the days of blowing on them should be behind us.

As far as I'm concerned, the only right way to buy games is to buy the game once and that's it, you have the whole thing forever. But I guess that as long as you buy the amiibo and that's it, you have the whole game and all additional/optional content it will ever have, than that's the less bad option than the current amiibo physical DLC garbage. But even then, I don't like having to download the game even after buying a physical object at a store. Not needing to download is the entire justification of going shopping for a physical unit.

The WiiU was basically stillborn. They tried to launch a console to succeed the massively popular Wii, and they FUCKED IT UP.

And this is just a personal thing because Monster Hunter wasn't a big franchise yet:

Unbelievably bad. The only console this gen that did worse was the PS Vita.

The Vita did better
It sold At least 12M units
But really the Wii U looked like it could of gained ground and outsold the XB1 if they played their cards right but they just spilled there spagetti everywhere

By that logic so is every HDD.

I largely quit following video game news closely because it seems like all it did was make me angry and depressed, and if Nintendo's stepped up the censoring, looks like I saved myself some grief alright. I'm also morbidly curious what they're censoring now though.

Maybe what he's trying to say is that cartridges fell out of popularity due to their low data capacity not being able to hold all the bells and whistles devs wanted to add. But now the graphical race has hit the point where discs are holding the bells and whistles back because they can't load all dem GRAPHIX fast enough, meanwhile cartridges caught up on storage and maintain the speed advantage.

In other words, the graphical race killed the cart and then needed it again.

Not really. Even if cartridges are nice solid state flash memory, they're still going to cheap the fuck out on it. Not all flash memory is created equal.

When I play the 3DS get shorter load times from digitally downloaded pirated games on my nice Class 10 microSD card than I get from the same game on a cartridge.

I realize that not all solid state memory is equal, but you're saying that current cheap cartridge load times could seriously be worse than current cheap disc drive load times? That's the comparison I'm making.

Angry Bird Go! flunked
EA was dissapointed at PvZGF mobile sales