Stolen from >>>/liberty/29498

Stolen from >>>/liberty/29498

If morality is objective, we can use it to extrapolate general guidelines of how a society functions.

If morality is subjective, then we must either look at it from subjective or objective reasoning.

If we use subjective reasoning, then I can make the claim that subjectively from my viewpoint, my morality is objectively shown through the populace, therefore I can claim it's objective and justify an objective morality in your subjective world. E.G. I can ignore your subjective morality and treat you as a fault in my objectively moral system.

If we assume the argument for subjective morality comes from objective reasoning, then I can use objective reasoning and observation to come to a pseudo-objective morality that is still objectively true.

Therefore, morality must be objective.

Other urls found in this thread:

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't even figure out what this is supposed to mean

If morality is subjective and we use subjective reasoning to justify it, then I can subjectively say you're full of shit and claim objectivity.

Pretty much justifying a subjective morality with subjective reasoning is a double negative.

what do you mean by "justify"

Just because you can claim to know something doesn't mean I accept that you do. That's dumb.

I didn't claim to know something though. I claimed that it's provable. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

No, absence of evidence is evidence that you're full of shit and you have nothing.

What do you think I mean?

How can you falsify a concept such as morality? What measurements do you use to verify if something is moral or not?

I think the idea that something can be justified is derivative of the belief in objective morality, and as such you are begging the question.

Isn't morality just emotional?

You are going to have to define morality and "objective/subjective thought" otherwise you are just galloping on top of rushed fallacious implications to a conclusion of your choice.

Moral anti-realism is by far the more controversial position among people even remotely well read on the topic.

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

Just over twice as many of surveyed (all published philosophers) accept or lean toward moral realism, compared to anti-realism.

This isn't an argument in favor of realism, it's just to say that just stating
doesn't really cut it.

Read Kant.

That's definitely not true. Moral relativism is an example of a meta-ethical belief that does not entail objectivism, while still clearly being a position that entails that some moral beliefs are unjustified.

Read a book.

Well said. I gotta go take care of a last minute call-in to fix a furnace, so I'll talk to y'all later.

I'm not even arguing anything. You, on the other hand, are. And you don't have any evidence.

Evidence of what?
He provided an argument for his position, somebody (you?) came with a non-sequitor - that OP completely understandably dismissed - and now you're just being insufferable.

you're a retard

Objectivity always relies on subjective criteria.

Only arrogant retards think their political opinions are objectively correct.

I don't know, whatever his argument is. That morality is objective? That morality exist in the first place? Like, I'm only reading it now, but he seems to be saying that because reasoning is objective and we use reason to reach moral decisions, morality must then be objective. That is not even taking into account that all systems of morality are based on subjective values, and reason, being a thing that happens entirely within the confines of the human mind, is likewise subjective. We evaluate reason based on its predictive ability - if one uses reason to reach a conclusion that is not in line with objective material reality, then we say that is faulty reasoning. That does not make reason objective.

What I picked up on and first replied to, however, was this:

Which is shifting the burden of proof. ie bullshit

You're assuming the burden of proof is on objectivity in the first place, and that subjective measurement/reference is used. If subjective reference is used, wouldn't it fall under OP's second point that subjectively they can tell "subjectivists" to fuck off?

Plus I get the impression that OP was avoiding the term burden of proof because he didn't want to turn this into "muh proof" in the first place (which is exactly what you're trying to do).

To quote the Christian from where it was stolen, his proof he's using is ((AvB)->C) where A is objective morality, B is subjective morality, and C is an objectively moral result.

You're trying to claim that ~P^Q when what you're really stating is ~P->Q.

Nothing that you're saying relates to the topic at hand.

And yet you're mad when he doesn't take you seriously?

I'm really not that well versed in meta-ethics (just enough to laugh at people who know even less), but I understand the position of moral realism to be: The position that moral statements are truth-apt. As in, any moral statement can be said to be either true or false.
Important note: Moral realism says nothing about the methodology of determining whether or not any given statement is true. It doesn't even say anything about our ability to do so. One can be a moral realist, and also think it's impossible to prove the truth of any statement.
I probably read this description somewhere, but I can't recall where atm.

That's a pretty fucking strong claim without any reasoning or arguments to back it up.

It does not even remotely follow that something is subjective just because it "happens entirely within the confines of the human mind". That makes no fucking sense at all. Even if we accept that premise, that makes it very easy to argue that absolutely nothing can be said to be objective.

This is demonstrably false. I can make a faulty proof in mathematical subjects that don't relate to any empirical topic. The rules for reasoning might be empirically informed, but that does not make the rules themselves empirical.

Holy shit you are a retard.
He's not shifting the burden of proof. He's saying that even if the guy he's responding to is right, it doesn't have any bearing on his argument, and can therefore be dismissed as a non-sequitor.

It's a lot easier to argue that morals don't exist, than whatever the fuck you're trying to do here.

You're right, that was wrong of me. Sorry.

Why would I be mad at him taking me seriously when I didn't even give a shit about his argument to begin with? I just popped in due to an autistic tic.

It's pretty simply this: any moral argument will come down to the distinction that one state of affairs is better than another from the perspective of the arguer, a subjective value judgment.

Objective morality requires an objective set of fundamental moral values, in other words a determination that so and so is preferable to such and such, which stands independent of any sort of human mind. Since the only way to disprove a moral argument is by reference to a subjective belief, then something couldn't possibly be objectively moral.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact definition of subjectivity. I don't know if the definition is different within whatever discipline you're working in, but that's how it goes in the vernacular. And anyway, that needn't be the case if we can assume that our senses provide use accurate information about the external world. In which case we could say that X is objectively the case if we can see X happening out there.

Damn, that took longer than expected.

Yep.

V I R T U E

Morality and politics aren't the same thing. They might tie together at times, but they're pretty separable most of the time.

ok bud

Ignorants, all of you.

This statement is objectively true.

Who decides what is obviously self-evident? Surely not people, that's why we have a single set of universally accepted axioms… oh wait.

Moral realism just seems like an attempt to conflate morality with ethics to me.

That doesn't make sense. He is saying morality is both subjective and objective.

The very first premise seems kind of iffy. Just because there's a right thing to do, it doesn't mean that people anywhere are actually doing it.