GANBARE SO GANBARE

GANBARE SO GANBARE

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichirou_Mizuki
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I rented this shit from a video store back in 2000 or something and that was the last I ever saw it. I didn't really like it at the time but it was alright. Is there some sort of MEME about this game I missed?

Don't think there's any specific meme, but the game has a lot of memorable stuff like the giant robot Impact

PUH-LAZ-A-MA

Not really Newfag. Rarely talked about around here.

That scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

mystical ninja was pretty easy, but a great game. It's interesting how it thought of so many of the conventions of the genre that went on to be included as staples of the genre in ocarina of time. Fantastic game tho.

Goemon's Great Adventure however is my favorite Ganbare Goemon game and occasionally pushes me over the edge to be my favorite platformer of all time. The level design is just so good, and the mechanics don't waste time bullshitting with buffers and slow falls and over-generous jump heights. One of my favorite levels has to be frog mountain which has this excellent point where you can, while exploring a side path, preform a careful jump to phase through one platform onto another and find yourself back on the main path. It's a little moment of brilliance that accidental or not that makes the game stand out above every other platformer I've seen, and even to this date with how it makes use of 3D environment design. I've never really seen a game do that again in a way that feels so natural.

Yeah, MNsG came out in early 97 in Japan, it came out before both Ocarina of Time and Megaman Legends, and managed to be a pretty awesome 3D action/platformer game. Personally it's one of my favorites.

And I agree about Goemon's Great Adventure, that game was the culmination of the series for me, it had every element that made the 2D Goemon games so good and made it all bigger.
Is also a contender for my favorite platformer of all time, too.

The most fucked up thing about these games is that they apparently make perfect sense to Japanese people. All the weird shit. The peach aliens that want to act. The giant robots… It's just insanely Japanese.

IMPACT is still my favorite giant robot ever

←-this gangsta remade the intro

it's delightful, even though I don't get a lot of the cultural nuances, I do have some understanding on it. I think that's part of what makes them so enjoyable, it's a clear look into another culture, full force and unashamed of itself. I love it.

Ask the world beater of most times beaten this game anything

what's the best song and why is it that funky bass-line driven kappa road

also why is it the only game on the n64 with particularly great music

Well, it has a lot to do with Goemon being a Japanese Folk Hero. He's their version of Robin Hood, from what I understand.. Only his legend got more insane over time.

ore wa FUNNNNKY
aaaahhhh IMPACTO
DASH DASH DASH

generally, although ebisu-san's interpretation of the legend is tremendously funny. I'm happy the guy ended up nailing a job at Nintendo after Konami burnt everything goemon related to the ground and defiled the corpse some time ago. I won't lie though, I'd love to see a game in the style they used for the pachislot machines. Sad fate.

He ended up directing the excellent wario ware shake-it, the comfy kirby's epic yarn, and the excellent yoshi's woolly world. Unsurprisingly, all sidescrolling platformers that show off his skill at working on these kinds of games. Maybe in the future he can work on a nintendo IP about edo-period Japan. Oh well, it's not like Nintendo has something like that in their archive…

It makes more sense to japanese people because the game is based on a lot of different japanese folk culture and history, starting from Goemon's character himself.

But other than all the cultural references, Goemon is still an insane nonsense humor series even for Japan.

Fuck scalpers and fuck whoever coded every goddamn N64 emulator. Fuck them all to hell.

40 bucks and 30 bucks seem a lot more affordable than 400 bucks for a console and 60 for a game.

n64 + everdrive is as good as you're gonna get. These games emulate pathetically.

Come on mate, still, just because its cheaper by comparison its not justifiable to price these games like that.

Well, most of the N64 titles that are great have had releases through VC or as injects, so stuff like Mario Party 2, Starfox64, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, G-E, Wave Race, etc
Its just the rare titles that can't be emulated or haven't had a virtual release that I want to have, so stuff like Perfect Dark, Goemon, Hybrid Heaven, DK64, both Banjos etc. But those amount to like 10 or so titles, I'm not going to buy an everdrive for that obviously.

This is how the Japanese fucking shot themselves in the god damn foot.

They make everything a bullshit fucking game where you just pull a lever to do anything.

30 bucks seems reasonable to me.
But still if you don't want to waste time hunting for N64 games (and sometimes paying more than 30, I know some of them are very expensive), the everdrive then is a good option.

No, they don't. And It's not a Japan-wide issue, it's groups like Konami making overly safe-investments and failing to secure a future for their IP by effectively targeting audiences.

I hope that wasn't a defensive argument for them.

it is an honest assertion that is in-line with the logic depicted in the industry, and doesn't judge an entire nation based off of what some studios are doing.

Everyone talks about the N64 games when there's like 3 great Goemon games on the SNES.
Seriously, go play them.
I realize they have no translation, but 2 is pretty straightforward

>average PS2 game average PS3 game average DC game average OG-Xbox game

Fun fact the man who sings Impact's theme is Ichiro Mizuki, rather famous

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichirou_Mizuki

Just wait until the kids who grew up with PS2 start having strong nostalgia and the prices for PS2 games will rise up.
N64 games were also cheaper 10 years ago.

It still doesn't come close to how expensive SNES or Sega Saturn games are.
Anyway, I think for you the everdrive is the best option. You can even play games that would be otherwise impossible to play without one, like the english translation of Wonder project J2 that doesn't work on emulators, and if you buy the game it's in japanese.

And yeah "scalpers" are the worst but it just works that way because there's demand. Other people other than you want the same games, it sucks but that's how it works.

Yeah, that's fucking awesome.
And the guy who sings the opening theme is Hironobu Kageyama.

It's my dream to find a live performance of Mizuki Ichiro performing Ore wa Impact.

PS2 modding is a very viable solution, fortunately.

suck my dick, nigger

someone's hurt

oh if you like those two then get a load of this

True, but people will always want to own the games they love, especially if they owned them as a kid/wanted to own them.
I know some of them are already expensive, like Yakuza 2.

The SNES games are all awesome as well, there's also some Goemon games for PS1, most of them suck (especially the 3D one), but there's a traditional 2D platformer that's pretty good, on par with the SNES titles.
Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Famicom is also pretty awesome and it has an english patch.

No translations for any of them? That can't be right, I know I rented one SNES Goemon game as a kid.

It's a game where you fight against the EU to stop it from taking away Japan's sovereignty.

Man, I fucking love this rendition of that song. Have another Kageyama/Ichiro teamup.

That's right, Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES got localized and was the first Goemon game to get an english release.
There's other 3 Goemon games for SNES in Japan though.

Kinda, but the enemies are never stated to be European, they are called the "Peach Shoguns" (as their UFO is peach-shaped) and they want to make Japan "beautiful", which means making it more similar to aristocratic France or something. My theory is that the game is poking fun at the visual kei scene boom (that was at its splendor when the game was released in Japan in 1997), as well as maybe takarazuka revue.
The ending on the game with the rabid fangirls had me laughing my ass off.

I miss when game soundtracks had to rely on actual talent because of the shit technology

As a kid i hated the robot fight. I got my ass handed to me a fucking bunch

It happened to me at first, too, it gets a while to get used, but once you do it feels pretty cool.
Did you know how to perform special attacks?

Man, i never even knew about them until YEARS later.

So where does the translated one fit in with the rest of the SNES entries? Is it the first, or second, or what?

1st

DASH DASH DASH

Can someone explain why people always talk about the original N64 game? The successor is a million times better, especially in coop.

Actually all Ganbarion games are kinda shit EXCEPT for 2 which is a masterpiece.

BEST OST EVER, I SWEAR

Fuck NeoGAF age.

When I heard this part I couldn't help but think of Great Mazinger's Theme song

Ichiro is amazing

Haven't loved many games like that in years. Still remember renting it before I had a memory card and trying to leave it on until I burned through it over a sleepless weekend.

Why is this the only game that doesn't emulate properly?

I've tried for years every plugin, every emulator, every version, but still its unplayably slow or crashes randomly.

It's not the only one. Body Harvest was a shit to emulate, not sure if that's been fixed, either.

Probably because it's the more wide known one, Great Adventure came out later and I think it wasn't as common to see at rental places.
Also, the opening and Impact theme songs were removed from the US version of GGA for whatever retarded reason.

I agree that, from a pure gameplay-stand point, I like GGA more. It's a classic side-scroller, maybe one of the best ever made, but MNsG is also a great 3D adventure game. Different games, really, you can't compare them as equals because they go for different things. I love playing GGA co-op, but I also love to go on a huge adventure all across Japan in MNsG.
GGA has more replay value, but I still play through MNsG every couple years, it doesn't get old.

What other Goemon games have you played? The first SNES one (aka Legend of MN) is really good. Pretty much all the Goemon games that are sidescrollers are amazing. Have you played Goemon 4 on SNES?

It's hilarious how much better Goemon seems compared to Ocarina of Time. I miss renting games.

I really wanna play through these games starting with SNES, but 2-4 don't have English patches and I feel like half the fun is in the zany script.

I love this series. Fucking insane Japs.

This game is crazy when you're tripping

What games? I downloaded what I think is supposed to be the entire N64 library from Underground gaming before it shut down.

I can try and see if they work or not.

user, I can emulate it damn near perfectly, with some minor slow downs and sometimes a bit of audio crackle.

I just tried booting it up and it works, although not with the Glide64 plugin that I was using before for some reason.

Point is I could probably get it running even better if I fiddled around with the various plugin and settings. Hell, it'll probably work better with a more up to date version of the emulator.

If you want I can give you the rom.

The fucking music in this game, man

You mean 4.

This one is better.

I love that they start moving faster when you select continue.
I think they also do something funny when you select good bye.

Admittedly it's the weakest part of the game gameplay wise but there's nothing like it to get you in the mood.

ghost tits

The pre-boss part is just a little bonus, the more enemies/buildings you smash, the more coins/ammo you get for the boss fight, I think.

Also the enemies that appear there are weird as fuck.

am I the only one who was surprised to find that Goemon was not Konamis Mascot?

then I thought SImon Belmont was, but apparently it was Snake, or somthing?

I don't think Snake or Simon are Konami's mascots either. Konami has a lot of popular characters but I don't know if one can be considered the definitive mascot.

I actually think Goemon fits the mascot spot better than Simon or Snake, but Goemon was only really popular in Japan (as opposed to Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man or Bomberman who are famous worldwide).
In Japan, probably the 2 most famous Konami characters are Goemon and the baseball kid from the Pro Yakyu series, they are on the front of the konami krazy racers game for GBA at least.

Otherwise, maybe Konami Man (from Wai Wai World) could also be considered the official Konami mascot.

Jesus, that Goemon and Simon Belmont on the Right.

That Reminds me; Dracula makes a Cameo in the second game for the Snes