What are some games that require you to take notes?

What are some games that require you to take notes?
So far I've got

Feel free to yell at me for saying this, but a couple of quest mods for Fallout 3 and NV

Dungeon Crawlers that require you to draw maps
Yume Nikki

Her Story

Every dungeon-crawling RPG before automapping.

the first mega man battle network. Fuck elecman

Super Metroid

Shin meg games from time to time, notes for quests or mapping up dungeons the auto mapper wont do and notes on demons from time to time.

Buggerfall.

The Might and Magic series, since the quest log is so-so at times.

CC2. It's harder when your viewport is a measly 9x9 tiles.

Darkfall

Good taste my friend

Any adventure game with decent puzzles.

Did someone say RULES OF NATURE?

Original Phantasy star games.

How interesting. SubTerra had a puzzle with a similar layout called Rooms of Confusion.

Underrail.

There are no quest logs or markers, and you can't ask the NPC's to repeat what they wanted seriously fuck that. So the game gives you a notepad to write your notes in.

Not notes per se, but Autismcraft with a fuckton of mods requires you to do actual fucking math, so I needed to get some paper out.

What kind of math?

super mario RPG and that fucking tadpole pond.

simple shit like estimation, when you get into the autistic shit like autocrafting you really have to start taking notes

no wonder the game flopped like the average Holla Forums-tard when he's supposed to have a boner for sex.

that's actually pretty neat

OFF has a few, but some of them are in French.

Virtues Last Reward on 3DS gives you a notepad to help you out with some puzzles.

TIS-100. It's good to do detailed descriptions of "programs"

Legend of Grimrock II. Some maps are complicated and can take time

I was amazed that Bethesda could do such a thing. Maybe I should actually play the game some more.

If you really like the kind of stuff where you have to write things down, head over to /tg/ and see about getting into a game.

Damn, casuals must hate that game.

I have a dirty secret: I had about 2 pages of notes on fallout 4, decided to play it without ever fast traveling, using map, or enabling compass/quest markers. It was okay but gold old so I dropped it after 30 hours

I did the same and that's the reason I kept playing for another 20 hours, but I never came across anything similar. My roomate is a bethesdacuck and when I asked her how she came across it she just said that a character explicitly told her to look for the letters/numbers then line them up, and the voiced protagonist spelled it out when she got to the end.

the worst part is that even though that's how she experienced it, she thought it was really cool and was really confused when I said how I just randomly came across it without the quest.

Like, really? You expect me to harvest 200 plants of six different varieties and then remember how many of which types of seeds I need to buy, without having a shopping list to consult?

Those coordinates when building nether portals between points of interest aren't going to remember themselves.

Fuck NOTES; I used to make entire SPREADSHEETS for the resource-intensive products like processors and modules.

Fuck NOTES; before Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb, you couldn't even make orbit without a nomogram and/or a cheat-sheet with orbital mechanics equations plus a calculator and stopwatch.

Fuck NOTES; I made custom CHECKLISTS for my favorite aircraft along with emergency procedures and airspeed specifications, and kept paper versions handy when I flew. Every flight was also done following a list of VOR radio stations and compass headings, of course.

Just the ones I can think off of the top of my head.

With or without Bobmod?
Because vanilla Factorio is almost too simple.

I've really got to start playing it sometime. Last week, I just started a properly-serious-for-the-first-time playthrough of Morrowind roleplaying as Nerevar reborn ( Skills and behavior he probably did). I've beaten the game once before, but I was 12 and didn't take it seriously over a decade ago.

Ultima series games

I wish more games had the ability to annotate maps in the way that Ultima Underworld did.

Legend of Mana

grimrock

system shock 1

elminage gothic

Masters of Orion

like other anons have said just look for old games that were rpgs or adventures.

Fucking Morrowind. Half the time you need to write down directions for easy access or some code or passphrase. I still remember getting lost looking for some burial tomb for 2 hrs cause I wrote it down wrong.

azura's shrine where you get the ring?

Yea, that was following some real fucking instructions there, not guide points or even in-game signs. Just the notes on the terrain and finding this little cave.

well there's no markers but there sure as shit is a quest log. dumbass

undertale

Had to do a few notes for Hotel Dusk. Thankfully it had a built in notepad. Which I used to draw Louie playing an electric guitar.

I used to think taking notes in games was cool too but it just became a fucking chore. if it let you take notes ingame cool but i hate having to find a pencil and paper.

Does EvE count when you crawl the market and do math to find out what specific ore is currently the most efficient to mine and sell?

Myst is doable if you just have a decent memory, but if you don't break out the notepad for the sequel, Riven, you're gonna be up shit creek without a paddle. Somewhere around here I still have pages and pages of notes I took when first playing that game. The amount of minute details you need to take note of in that game is absolutely staggering, even down to having to translate a fictitious number language in order to be able to read a critical code. I implore every user in this thread to play Riven, it's still one of the most comfy games in existence.

The Neverhood, certain puzzles require drawing a map or code.

Every old game where the save system was dependent on a password.

I played Mountain Blade as a jew merchant and kept notes of prices of goods in different places.

I don't know why I did it, I could have just made that money by fucking up bandits.

Too bad vanilla mb made trade practically worthless

FUCK THAT

the first one had huge-ass map sized puzzles too

I used to take the notes in loading screens

Bioshock Infinite. Couldn't do the bells without some notes.

Dragon Quest 1/2/3/4* t-thanks for no party chat, localization team, at least we got accents

Some of the MegaTen games. In Digital Devil Saga there were too many enemies for me to remember weaknesses so I had to write that down and consult it frequently. Also it auto maps dungeons but not where teleporters take you so I had to draw a few maps.

Depends on what kinds of notes I guess. I have the memory of a goldfish so I write stuff down a lot so I don't forget it. Collectibles in RPGs for example.

Right off the top of my head:

-Tales of Symphonia if you want to keep track of the hidden affection levels of all your comrades (to better manipulate the results)
-The sequel, Dawn of the New World required you to draw maps for its secret dungeon.
-Virtue's Last Reward has a couple passwords that you have to memorize for the end game.
-Persona Q requires you to draw out the dungeon maps (but gives you the means to do so) and some of the puzzles require gathering information

I understand this reference

I know that feel.

I blew through dq1-3 recently, but 4 on the ds has been kind of a non-starter, I always forget where I left off, if it was a normal save or field save, where as with the other one I always felt like I remembered clearly what I wanted to do next and where I was. I just don't care as much about it even though the characters have much more "character".

ARMA, if you aren't writing down grids you are doing it wrong.

I remember getting through it without marking down anything at all, but it's been a hell of a long time.

What exactly was there to keep notes on?

The only thing I personally wrote down are passwords for bank accounts with lodsemone, but that was cut short because I just bought the best fucking rig with best CPUs and cracked passwords faster than slavs crack games.

It's very dependent on when you played it, if you have to take notes or not.

XenobladeX dosent tell you jack shit.

I had to google everything on my phone next to me for the monster/item locations/abilities/etc while i played.

This.

Am I being trolled? It's pretty obvious that the Freedom Trail code is "RAILROAD". Right?
Because I just entered that in and the door simply opened for me. It was Bioshock Infinite easy.

I guess you're trying to say that you're better and smarter than us.

okay

No, I just don't think it's something worth writing in a notebook if you have some common sense.
Seems kind of dumb making your faction name also a secret password to your hideout, no?

No, I just don't think it's something worth writing in a notebook if you have some common sense. Seems kind of dumb making your faction name also a secret password to your hideout, no?

Some of the Secret World's investigation-missions were great.

My notebook started to look like Necronomicon-lite at some point, also using the websites they created for the game was a blast.

I wish there was more games like that, I really caren't that much of the combat or other multiplayer parts of the game. The atmosphere and the story (or at least the world) were the interesting parts for me.

Thief 2 does that.

Not that surprising, since it's written by some of the same guys.

Morrowind for some of its puzzles and questlines.

I was about to post this game.

Writing down bank IPs, bank account numbers. I'm fairly sure that hacking LANs also had IPs you needed to write down to connect to, but it's been a while since I last played Uplink.

Legacy of the Wizard requires either a guide book or graph paper.

For me, it's pretty much any Mon game where you can pass on skills to other monsters through breeding/fusion. I always make big charts detailing what skills I want on what monster and where I can get said skills. Now, if the stat-modifications are also passed on to the monster in question, the lists grow even longer.

Riven. FUCKING Riven, man.

Grimrock 2, sort of. Not really.

Grimrock 1 and 2 actually have a mode that disables automapping so you need to make your own maps

i still have three or four journals sitting around in storage full of nothing but maps on graph paper for dungeon master, eye of the beholder etc

Realmz
Exile I, II & III (The Avernum games are shitty reboots of this godlike trilogy. Play the originals.)

I don't know if it's because I grew up playing dungeon crawlers and MUDs with massive sprawling worlds or what, but my sense of vidya direction is almost infallible. I've never had to make a map, because I just keep the whole thing in my memory.

I've been wanting to make a true dungeon crawler myself for a while, but I'm wondering if younger generations can even find themselves on a map anymore without Siri or Google Maps telling them where they are and where they should go.

I feel that self-mapping hit peak in Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry, and other DS roguelikes. It's a natural extension of the touchscreen without pandering to it, and keeps the information contained within the game. The second part is what makes me okay with automapping on other platforms; needing to hunt down an old scrap of paper to simply play a game I haven't touched in a while is too much effort to start playing again.

If manual mapping were more than a convenience goal, I could see it being valuable again. Needing to correctly map a floor before getting access to the next one in some kind of 'attuning' requirement, one-off floors similar to Disgaea's Item World where you get more rewards for more accurate mapping, etc.

I dont know if its just me but a lot of people are referring to pen and paper, unless you had to map some things out couldnt you just open up notepad and save the issue of finding the pad and paper, because back in the day i just used notepad and saved those files, it was a lot easier to keep track of everything

Beat me to it.

DF
If you're trying to create new mechanics or shit.

There is a quest log. And I'm not sure what you mean about this not repeating things NPCs, they repeat things to me. Sure you don't just have a bug.

phantom hour glass.

pretty good use of the touch screen and DS features.there is an island where you have to draw its, yourself.

I still remember using DocMaker to format tip sheets, and gave ones for each scenario a different custom tome icon.

"Back in the day" often meant back before a lot of games could be backgrounded without them flipping out, or even before multitasking OSs could run games at all. I sometimes used a second computer just to keep notes.