Hello Holla Forums I come in peace

Hello Holla Forums I come in peace.

Over on /k/ there has been an interesting idea being chewed over that seems more like your sort of thing than ours.

8ch.net/k/res/355494.html#356400

basically the idea is a game set in the world of 1984 - but as one of the nameless, faceless, conscripts sent to die in one of their planned to fail wars in north africa. I won't ruin it for you, as reading through the basic plan is kind of fun, but as I said it seemed like an interesting idea you'd enjoy.

Have fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_African_Campaign_(World_War_I)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Bush_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the point of this thread? to get us to read a moderately interesting thing on another board?

The idea seemed more Holla Forums related than /k/ related, and it looked like something that could cause an interesting discussion here.

How would you go about making a game along these lines with the aim of it being something that you don't win, where failure is inevitable?

I wouldn't, it sounds like it would turn out like one of those pretentious "art" games. Games should be fun and enjoyable to play, if they aren't then they are failures, no matter what journalist-school dropouts say.

Read the posts, it does look fun.

tbh fam I dont feel like reading an entire thread to see what the game's about.

Im guessing the MC defects from the war at some point. Realizes how pointless the war is, but ends up getting killed off anyway ironically.

Much like the original source material.

The idea isn't a walking simulator through Airstrip One, but effectively you fighting a guerilla war against three hyperpowers who have no problem nuking anything vaguely you-shaped.

A good description of the sort of game they were discussing in the /k/ thread

The idea is to play up the sense of hopelessness and insignificance from the source book.

Sup, /k/? /agdg/ here.

This does sound like a cool setting, but the thread has already fallen into Vidya Development Trap #1, which is conflating an idea for a story with an idea for a game. Unless you've got specific concepts for gameplay mechanics, this is pretty much straight ideas-guy territory. I see games mentioned for comparisons of their tonal similarities, but nothing about gameplay. I'd be interested in seeing it developed further, but without a clear idea of gameplay mechanics or you'd be better off just making a movie or book.

Also, Protip: Cross-board linking is a thing >>>/k/356400
Current /agdg/ thread:

OP here, that sounds pretty accurate, which is why I brought it here as Holla Forums would seem to be a better place for talking about that sort of thing than /k/ (wasn't aware of /agdg/, thanks for mentioning it).

Holla Forums would definitely be a good sounding board for this kind of thing, but would it pose some kind of problem discussing it on /k/? Is this game a "/k/ project" or just a general thought that you (and /k/ in general, for that matter) wanted to get out there? That's a question for your /k/omrades.

How about this part?

Granted, these parts would work better as a VN than a 3D game.

That thread is about a microwave cannon that boils people alive. Someone mentioned 1984, and then my mind wandered away quite a bit. Discussing this idea is very off topic, but it's interesting enough for its own thread. And if we start a new thread, we might start it on Holla Forums.

Honestly this sounds like it would make a better movie than a game, judging by how cinematic the idea seems to be.
If you still want a game though, I think some kind of 3rd person shooter would work.

The best reference point is MGSV. Just with a linear story instead of an open world, so half of its pitfalls are gone.

Honestly, it'd be a better use for MGSV's mechanics/The Fox Engine than anything Konami will do in the next decade.

These do sound like cool ideas. They'd have to be part of a larger game structure, though.
Yeah, I read the thread. I get that it's not directly weapon related, but around here, we generally treat threads focused on making OC (draw threads, etc.) as permissible, even if they're not 100% directly video games, so I wasn't sure if it was like that on /k/, too. No doubt that if you did need to make a long-term thread for it here, it'd be welcome.

Oh, and you could have some Peace Walker tier boss battles, just quite a bit more realistic.

>>>/k/356464

>>>/k/356476

But then again, is these battles aren't the focus of the game, then it's just a random idea. And considering the story bringing down gigantic tanks wouldn't happen too often.

Certainly not, they'd mostly be (invincible, potentially deadly, oppressive) scenery, maybe a few of the late game missions could lead up to sabotaging one as a last triumphant climax before it all goes horribly wrong. If you were knocking them down like they were standard creeps then they'd lose any sort of impact

Do they have template threads on /k/? Do they have dubs, like these?

here's your reply faggot

The larger structure would be about managing your merry band of brainwashed soldiers, who've just learned that they were living a lie, and they literally sent them here only to die.
The end goal is nuking some valuable target (maybe what once was called London). You'd be only in charge of a specific resistance cell, and you aren't even sure if other cells exist in the first place.
Now, the reasoning behind the end goal is this:

>>>/k/356680

>1. Conquer the other two sides, and end this war. It's not a real option.

>2. a. Build up a surplus of military equipment and personnel, so that they will have huge armies sitting in bases, waiting for something to happen. That could be dangerous if the resistance infiltrates them and starts shit.

> b. Let the industry make boots for the population for a change, so their quality of life goes up. They might get angry when things suddenly drop back to the original lever, and it could lead to some civil unrest.

>3. Let a civil war develop, and split up this "country" into two. Then it would turn into a four way game, and it's way harder to manage that. They'd have to eliminate one side, and that could lead to a real war for survival.

>4. (1.+3.) Conquer the other two, waste all those built up military equipment, then let a civil war develop, and bring back the two other sides to life. A whole planet engulfed in civil war would give the resistance a real chance to achieve something big.

The point of those tanks is that they are big and scary, but would be useless in a "real" war. It's just that they completely sabotaged weapon development, so that the infantry has no proper AT weapons. So you could find ways to knock them out, but it would be more along the lines infiltrating the base and blowing them up from the inside while the crew is not on duty. So you'd only have a few in your area of operation, but they would be very well guarded while they aren't used.
On the other hand, they can't actually hunt you with those tanks, so you'd only have to destroy them to weaken one side, thus fuck up the balance of power. You would have to be an extremely annoying band of ghosts for most of the game, not a tacticool oper8ors who wreck whole armies.

Check out these instead.

Now I took a nice bath and sorted out a few thoughts in my head.

So, basic gameplay is similar to Peace Walker and XCOM, you have a map and you choose mission. Except that instead of only a 2D map you have an actual 3D world, where everything is connected. The catch is that there isn't a free roam mode, and during missions you can't just wander around, otherwise bad things will happen o you.
E.g.: if you infiltrate an enemy base, then you must take a whole squad, to replace an enemy unit. If you run out with one of your men on the main gate, then people will think that you are a deserter. even if you survive, political officers will torture the rest of your squad to death to figure out what happened, and will learn everything about you.

Now, you mainly interact with the world through missions, but what else is there? And how would the combat look like? Well, look up two real guerrilla wars set in Africa for inspiration:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_African_Campaign_(World_War_I)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Bush_War

You'd mostly play hide and seek in the front line, between two (or maybe later on three) gigantic armies. Your best bet is that they are too busy with each other to even notice you until it's too late. So you have to micro-manage your men, set up small bases and supply catches everywhere, manage the guard duties and the people in general. You could pretty easily avoid everything in the beginning of the game. But then you will just run out of food, the front line will move over you, or something else happens. Therefore you are forced o actually take risks and confront the enemy, just to take what you need for survival. Now, the game should mostly tell a story, so you shouldn't waste your time with hiding from guards just to steal three cans of tuna.
Here comes the basic difference between this game and MGS: to infiltrate an enemy base, you have to observe it, and then impersonate someone or something to get what you need.
E.g.: you kidnap an officer from a base, dress up one of your men as him, and use him to order a wagon full of cans to be sent to an other base. He will be in charge of that small caravan, you attack them, and then your "officer" gives an order to the people under him to retreat. Then he disappears and you place the corpse of the original officer in the site of the ambush. Now the enemy might find it strange that the officer disappeared and reappeared with orders that make no sense, but if you time around the time of a major enemy attack, then they will be too busy to even notice.
And how do you time it with an enemy attack? By infiltrating the enemy headquarters. Maybe knock out a few guards for an hour during a night, and send in your men to steal some plans. The guards will be either too scared from the political officers to even mention what happened, so nobody notices that a few pages disappeared. Or they notice it, think that the guards were actually enemy spies, and execute them. In either case, nobody will care about you, because they are preparing for a major attack.

Now you can see that the idea is about getting a lot of intel in different ways, and making plans based on them. But an other driving force should be the story, and it should unveil as you get intel. E.g. a floating fortress full of nukes will be deployed in the next landing, so you must get there and infiltrate that somehow, then fire the nukes at a major city. It takes several steps, all of them involving ambushes, kidnappings and impersonating people.

Now, as you do your stuff the higher ups will eventually notice that something isn't kosher. So they will send some special response teams who can quickly appear at the sie of your ambush. They also tighten the defences of their bases, e.g. more guards, more passwords.
And last, but not least: they will try to counter-infiltrate your group. So now you even have to be suspicious of new recruits.

How is it so far? Sounds like a game?

I might as well give a bump to this thread after typing all of that out.

It sounds like a game I would lose a worrying amount of my life to. How would you work the idea for a scripted bad end for the player into that? Or is that something that you don't think would be a good addition to the idea?

Why not a game about a soldier that's just too good?

The Player Character is a soldier for Oceania. As they're fighting in Africa they just absolutely obliterate the Eurasians/EastAsians. The PC is an unstoppable menace that chews through enemy troops. The PC is so good that it looks like Oceania might actually win the war.

The inner party doesn't want that so they send the PC on suicide missions: attacking a facility deep behind Eurasian lines, taking on a floating fortress with just a rag-tag group of misfits, destroying an Eastasian arms depot after already informing the Eastasians of the PC’s imminent arrival. The PC wins every engagement he takes on.

There can be scenes where the inner party sends assassins to kill the PC while he’s sleeping, but his squamates have become so enamored with him that they save him at every opportunity.

I’m still thinking about what the final conflict could be. Maybe the inner party could publicly label the PC and his squad as traitors and send in a massive death squad to take them out, sparking a civil war within Oceania.

Sounds a little bit Mary Sue

Sounds neat. Someone should do a >>>/tg/ campaign. Too many cool ideas are abandoned because people don't know how to make video games, when they could have made it into a roleplaying game all along.

Maybe you could play it a little bit like OPM. The story is not about how the MC is a sick cunt that can destroy everything, it's more about everyone else going "Holy shit, he's fucking invincible" and growing alongside him/trying to drag him down/keep up with him/trying to manipulate him/etc

How about a game where you kill people with words?

HOLY FUCK

IT'S REAL!!!

How new/underage are you?

It's called a JOB.

Sounds like you want the original CoD

So which is it, new or underaged?

Or maybe both?

Don't make me get over there, fucboi. I'll 1v1 you hard.

Quit being a faggot.

Quit being a weeb.

Epic meme, bro

Link me to your Reddit, I want to upboat you

Does anime trigger you, normalfag?

Well I will write a few things about the combat, but you should read this first:
>>>/k/356689

There are a few options. Easiest one is that your floating fortress will be destroyed by other floating fortresses, as you don't even have enough men to crew it. Then they get you out of the sea and execute you for what you've done.

I'd like it to be realistic, so that there is some explanation for the events. So a character who can just slaughter his way into heaven and hell for no reason at all would be very out of place.

Well, should I screencap all this stuff and then start a third thread on /tg/?

I need a source on this image you worthless furfag.

I like the idea but like some said, this makes a better movie than a game
But IIRC there has been games where you are thrown into a unwinnable war and die
But most of the times it's a small idea carried at the end, one that comes to mind is Crisis Core, but that isn't much of a game or a war
Red Dead Redemption has a sudden change of pace realted to this, same, it's very sudden
I also remember back in 2009/2010 when /new/ and /k/ video game fans made some threads about the idea of a lone Rhodesian soldier lost and being hunted by a bunch of dindus in several maps like jungle, river crossing, flatland, only to die hopelessly at some point
They didn't know if at the end of the game or in some random procedurally generated map, this to exploit the idea there was no escape and everything was just the same cpypasted mud texture. Dude was only armed with a knife and his FAL. More stealth than a shooter
The idea just disappeared when m00t pulled the plug on Holla Forums, but i always liked that idea, kinda like Chronicles of Riddick, but you are the hunted instead of the hunter

I want to devote my life to modding MGSV and turning it into this.
fucking hell, that sounds amazing.
I would have no idea where to start, but i'd give my left nut to play this

Okay so since he didnt give source, I went to e621 for you (and for me) and typed in "renamon cum_on_face"
then I got reaaaaally distracted, as you might expect, but ive come back with the source.

Artist is sindoll

oh yea and the image series is "digital sex life"

user there was no war, it was fake.

Well, maybe they've just sent all that military equipment to the sea floor. But still, it's a lot easier to manage the population if you kill of lots of young males every year.

I think that's a bit of a fallacy. Games don't necessarily need to be fun, they just need to be engaging in some way. That being said, the idea sounds kinda neat in concept, but I can't really see how this would make for an engaging game, tbh.

Well, here is this post:

Oh, I've nearly forgot this thread. So, combat.

Your ragtag group has lighter and more varied equipment than the troops of the 3 powers, so they look mostly like pic related (short shorts are obligatory). As most of your enemy will be barely trained and weighted down by useless equipment, you'll be able to move through most grounds rather easily compared to them. And you will have a smaller chain of command, as they will try to solve all problems by sending in a human wave. So you can actually hide from them pretty easily.

But if you do have to kill, then you have some extra options compared to them:

You can take their shitty SMGs and cut off unnecessary parts, make boobytraps out of grenades and mortar shells, or just use them as it is. And if you can get some fuel, then you can manufacture Molotov-cocktails. Imagine lighting up some bushes full of enemy soldiers.

Bows and pits with pointy sticks in the floor. You have no chance to manufacture a silencer, but you might find some old tribesman who teaches you how to make bows, or which plants are poisonous. So you can go sneaky Rambo, and the enemy will have no idea what is going on, as bows are basically a forgotten technology. And then there are javelins too.

I imagine that Africa wasn't part of this whole revolution thing, and maybe some form of resistance was formed there. That could've been the original reason for sending armies to Africa. So, even some old bolt-action rifles could give you an edge, if you use the environment for your advantage. You could snipe people out of their weapons' effective firing range.

But after the first half of the game quick-response teams should appear. They should use equipment that is meant to work, so they've dusted off some plans from before the revolution, and field those. Initially they'd have similar bolt action rifles, but then they'd start to use more and more experimental stuff. so in the end game you could get some FALs in .280 British. Look up that calibre to know why it would be funny.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.

God damn son, I've seen some perverted shit on the internet, but that is just fucking disgusting.

Nice link, faggot.

ow that you mention it, Oceania is more likely to adapt the EM2, as their closest bases will be in Air Strip One.
But I also want that sweet Rhodesian feeling… But Eurasia should use something like second pic related, so there is no one to adapt the FAL.

Still, if your taste is so good, then tell me: what should East Asian special forces use?

Sure.

Your image didn't upload. It's been happening for a while.

I'd feel slightly bad using one of Korobovs more beautiful designs for this sort of thing, maybe something closer to the TKB-059 if you are set on using a Korobov - it fits in with the whole 'wasting resources' thing as well (an infantry rifle with 3 fucking barrels, a higher rate of fire than the MG42, wasting ammunition all day erry day, and it doesn't look all that reliable).

As for eastasia, that gets trickier, as post WW2 China was mostly using bootlegged soviet designs and the Japanese did similar things with American gear to a more limited extent as the JSDF doesn't get all that much budget or use).

It's not a design from the far east IRL, but the best idea I can come up with at the moment for Eastasian soldiers is something along the lines of the British Farquhar-hill experimental semi-auto rifle from WW1, maybe with a Dao shaped bayonet for a bit more eastern flare and added uselessness (shifting the weight that far forwards would make the rifle all but unusable for anyone who didn't have a steroids tier upper body)

A little bit more thought lead to this. It's an SMG rather than a rifle, but aesthetically at least it seems to fit in. Also meant to add the pic of the dao to that last post as well no, bad katanaweeb, no

Do you know how meme arrows work?

Remember, the special forces are meant to actually destroy you, so their equipment should work.
But that three-barreled Koborov rifle chambered in Tokarev would be the perfect smg for this game. Do we know anything about its internal design?

That smg looks horrible, and I have no idea how would that sword fit into a gun. So I like it. But again, it would be better for the regular gook infantry, who are meant to die by the dozens. So the special forces should go with something like that Japanese Garand copy.

The best I can find is that is uses some kind of combination of gas and recoil operation - and that apparently some of the design principles used on the TKB-059 were used in the AN-9k Abakan.

Just picture a relatively basic bayonet mount, probably slightly bigger to cope with the swords thicker grip through.

I thought about that but it just seems kind of boring for them, when you've got Oceania troops using some kind of ridiculously overbuilt sten/thompson and the special forces equipped with something similar to the EM2. Eurasian forces carrying a 3 barrel abomination with the SF using one of Korobovs sexier designs, Eastasian designs don't jump out that easily.

It's a stupid idea, but what about eastasian troops being equipped with an array of melee weapons, with their political officers never shutting up about 'HONRAR!'

Well, I guess they have even more people, so they have to waste even more lives. But giving them only melee weapons would be too much in my opinion.
But I've got an idea: there is that funky Japaneses machine gun, the one which has 5 Arisaka clips in it's magazine. Making a smg out of that would be very retarded and complex, especially if it uses 5 pistol magazines. Could that work somehow?

And an idea for the Eastasians: they try to enforce simplified Mandarin Chinese everywhere, but they have a hard time, so all of their officers carry signs with simplified Chinese characters on them. They command their troops by waving them. The higher ranking the officer, the higher the handle of the sign. So generals have aides with half a dozen very long poles. Meanwhile NCOs only have two signs with very short handles, one of them says "forward", the other one is "stop".

That was the 'Maxim Experimental SMG' >>9247280
that huge box magazine you can see there is a loading mechanism that holds 8 ten round 9mm clips. You're right though, the melee only weapons was kind of retarded.

The signs idea is interesting, and sounds beautifully clunky.

My bad, thought it was only a very ugly Mauser.

And imagine what happens if you combine Newspeak with Chinese: one year they completely ban one of the tones and now millions will be executed for not speaking properly. Meanwhile everyday communication completely breaks down as people can't express themselves. Meanwhile a great part of the population doesn't even know spoken Chinese, only their characters.

And one more thing for the 3-barreled smg: the middle barrel should be a lot longer, so that they can mount the bayonet there.

The language idea might be going a bit far there - when you look at how newspeak was introduced in the book it wasn't decreed overnight, they introduced it slowly to allow people to get used to it, even the most totalitarian state still has to function after all. Eastasia and Eurasia would have to take similar plans with language slower, as they wouldn't already have most of their population being native English (or Russian/Cantonese in the other two cases) speakers.

by the way agent /k/
>>>/k/356400
thats how you cross board link

It might be a bit too much, but then remember what Mao done. The Great Leap was already incredibly retarded, and then he topped it with the Cultural Revolution.

And I think Eurasia should use Russian because of the USSR, but it shouldn't be Russian majority. I think all of Europe is part of it, and Russia's population is surprisingly tiny compared to its size. Germany and France together outdo them in raw numbers, and then you have to add all the other states, not to mention all the other countries.

And China has a population of less than 60 million before the 50s. So they might be in majority. But they are concentrated in the plains of China. And even after half a century they still haven't standardized Chinese to a sufficient degree. I mean, there is a thing they teach in school, but most people speak a local variation.

I suppose so, would that apply to the other nations equivalent of the 'proles', in Airstrip One at least they seem to be left alone with their mindless labour, alcohol, and machine generated porn (so long as they stay drunk/wanking/working presumably).

I mean, all the other countries.

Forgot a zero, it's less than 60 million.

Yeah, I think proles are the rank and file the army, and that can cause problems with language and customs. But back at home they are just, well, proles.

Less than 600, I mean.

A last bump. This topic would have a better place at /tg/, as it would really work well as an RPG, so I will screencap the important stuff either in a few hours, or tomorrow, and I don't want this thread to fall out of existence until that happens.

Bamping just to be safe and buy you a few more hours.

Thanks, and now I will really do it.