Film is a dying medium

Hello Holla Forums. I'd like to alert you to the fact that films are declining in revenue and have been for about nine years.
You're not imagining it, there are more flops now than there were in 2007, and there is absolutely nothing Hollywood can do about it.
You see, the average person has been making less in actual value since 2008, wages haven't budged but inflation is still driving the value down. This is leading to the lower and middle classes watching less and less movies, ticket prices keep going up which causes even fewer people to watch movies and so on.
The average ticket price has shifted from about $4.60 in 1997 to $8.90 today, that's an increase of 93.5%. If this trend continues movie tickets will cost an average of $20 by around 2039. I want to clarify, that's an average. If you want to go see a big movie and/or live in a big city it'll likely hit that much sooner, possibly in a mere 12 years.

This dramatic increase in costs combined with the stagnation of wages has seen most movies take a sharp decline in profits in the past several years. Most major blockbuster hits nowadays are by the one company, Disney.

But that's not all, general interest in movies has also decreased; across the board award shows like the Emmys have been receiving record low views in the face of all star lineups. The total viewership of films peaked in the 30's at around 70% of the US population watching films on a weekly basis. It's at lower than 10% currently.
The total pool of famous actors is much smaller than it was in the 70's, a huge portion of famous actors today are people who were also famous 15 years ago and the number of upcoming stars is getting lower each year.
Production and marketing budgets are spiraling out of control.
There are fewer competent directors.
Newer mediums like video games and virtual reality have been become new hobbies not just for kids and teens, but adults who were formerly moviegoers, drawing many people away from film.
The various sex and drug scandals over the past 25 years have made less people interested in pursing a career in Hollywood, creating a massive void of new talent

A large number of factors are currently playing the downfall of film, these are the final few years of relative peace and calm. The 20's will be when the shit really starts hitting the fan.
I predict one of the future Star Wars movies will be a flop, at that point an event horizon will have been passed and Hollywood will no longer be able to stop itself from collapsing. It will shatter the idea of a "must see" movie and many other films will soon follow. The normalfag will perceive movies as having become a boring, repetitive medium and will forgo it in favor of something else.

I don't know what will happen next, but at this point films will ether go the way of video games or comic books: they could become extremely popular once again in a renaissance of quality or fade as the old guards die off and new studios flourish or they could fade into obscurity with the same stubborn studios making the same products with a small niche following and continuously lowering standards.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Free_Productions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*in a renaissance of quality as the old guards die of

For all intents and purposes it is, I know your favorite kino might have been made in Russia but the movies that affect the culture of film on a whole are almost entirely made in Pedowood.

You are a stupid little burger and need to stop talking about subjects your burger mind can't grasp.

I'm English.
Not the Muslim part, mind you.

good, movies have been kike trash for decades

your empire is falling apart

Lets say you are right (which you aren't, but we will come back to that later). That doesn't mean film dies if Hollywood goes, in fact, it would suggest the exact opposite, it would thrive.

But going back to you being wrong, even most recent relevant American movies were not directly made by big hollywood studios. They do get money from them, but most are independent local branches that are not dependant on the incestuous structure from hollywood.

In fact, nothing of any value could ever be produced properly in hollywood's current state, with its current social circle, they only exist because they are outside of it.

One quick example of this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Free_Productions

You can probably watch any of that shit and it will be pretty decent at worst.

Did you not read my entire post? Read the last line, I state clearly it could become popular again after a crash. Mediums have gone through crashes and come back stronger than ever in the past, what's certain is that if Hollywood crashed there would be at least a two or three years of downtime before it picked back up.

Riddle me this, where would they get the movie from if Hollywood croaked?
I'm not trying to paint the upcoming crash as a bad thing, because it's not, what I am saying is it would lead to a short term decline followed by a huge shift in the film industry. The things that will cause film to be less popular are entirely out of the film industry's control, like the rising popularity of independent media which so far is mostly non-film related.

They would either cut the middle-man and become the financers themselves, getting money straight from the banks and obviously from the governments (YOUR TAXES AT WORK), like Luc Besson and James Cameron already do… or other jews would quickly rise up to the task.

I think I know what the real problem is: Not enough niggers.

I want to see all my favorite movies remade with niggers. And for the movies that already had niggers, there should be at least a 37% increase in the amount of niggitude. I want to see Robrocop. I want to see Rambro. Honey I Shrunk the Keeids. Lawd dem Rangz. African-American History X. Dr. Monkeylove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Crack. Harry Jackson Jr. III and the Halfbreed Prince.

How hard can it be?

Cinema would be fine if they started making 10x 20 million dollar drive-in schlock features rather than 1x 200 million flopbusters.

is it really that popular? i only know one autist who cares about that shit.

Exactly. Shut up OP.

I dont think it dying.
I think its becoming cutscenes in interactive experience, like uhh games for example

if hollywood dies, then so does the den of debauchery it created.

Good riddance

Russian capeshits are far more superior than Americans.
Fact

Stop talking out of your arse, Russian capeshit just tries to monkey American capeshit. It's trash

Being this afraid.

Bollywood capeshit is full of wholesome family friendly programming.

RUSSIAN CAPESHIT THREAD??

the animated x-men series opening theme is so iconic, it makes these guys look legit

Where is the rest of the episode?

Americans. They can turn you into whatever they want, you just believe anything they tell you.

Good. I have over 1000 movies to watch.

No.

Like what?

Blade Runner

This is my 'looking forward to' list. Bolded stuff is pretty much guaranteed to be good because it comes from a good director. Everything else is a gamble but could be good. This also doesn't include recent releases like Brigsby Bear and The Square that are nigh impossible to watch right now due to no blu-ray release.

October

Suburbicon (27th October)
Novitiate (27th October)

November

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (3rd November)
Last Flag Flying (3rd November)
Lady Bird (3rd November)
Thelma (10th November)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (10th November)
Murder on the Orient Express (10th November)

December

Wonder Wheel (1st December)
All the Money in the World (8th December)
Phantom Thread (25th December 2017)
Downsizing (22nd December 2017)

TBA / In Production

Radegund (2017)
Mute (2017)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2017)
Billionaire Boys Club (2017)
Where Life is Born (2017)
The Irishman (2018)
The House That Jack Built (2018)
The Beach Bum (2018)
The Modern Ocean (2018)
Under the Silver Lake (2018)
Possessor (2018)
Lucid (2018)
Dragon (2019)
The Avenging Silence (TBA)
Wasp Network (TBA)
New Johnathan Glazer Film (TBA)

But i do commend you in your list making

Film is not dying. There's only so much white guilt propaganda that you can create that the movie goers will tolerate.

Interstellar is attacked for it's plot but it's worth going to the theaters for movies like it, and movies In the Heart of the Sea & the lord of the rings films.

Suburbicon (Coen Brothers)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Yorgos Lanthimos)
Last Flag Flying (Richard Linklater)
Phantom Thread (P.T.A)
Radegund (Terrence Malick)
Where Life Is Born (Carlos Reygados)
The Beach Bum (Harmony Korine)
The Modern Ocean (Shane Carruth)
Posessor (Brandon Cronenberg)
Lucid (Brandon Cronenberg)
Dragon (Brandon Cronenberg)
The Avenging Silence (Nicholas Winding Refn)
Wasp Network (Olivier Assayas)
Thelma (Joachim Trier)
The Irishman (Martin Scorsese)
The House that Jack Built (Lars Von Trier)
Wonder Wheel (Woody Allen)
Downsizing (Alexander Payne)

Just for you user. Rest is a series of literally who's or first time directors.

A lot of jews.

I appreciate it, hence why i will abstain from shitting it because i see many scumbags, but indeed there's 3 there that look interesting
Still wondering about Scorcese's paddy boner

I'm curious what your list was in 2016

Reminder that Scorsese, both Cronenbergs, the Coen Brothers and more have made more contribution to film than you because you have directed zero films and written zero screenplays. Get mad.

Many are acquired tastes I will concede. I would urge you to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer if nothing else, Lanthimos is the best contemporary director hands down, I actually considered driving three hours and buying a festival pass just to see it, but patience won over.

I add to it in real time, i'm constantly finding films I missed. I haven't had time to sift through all of 2016 to find gems so it's pretty short in comparison. Bolded are ones I have seen but I plan to watch them all eventually. The Neon Demon was my favourite by far.

The Nice Guys (2016)
Elle (2016)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
Personal Shopper (2016)
Arrival (2016)
Manchester By The Sea (2016)
The Neon Demon (2016)
Hippopotamus (2016)
Hail, Caesar! (2016)
The Accountant (2016)
The Ornithologist (2016) (still hasn't come out wtf Brazil sort your shit)
Endless Poetry (2016)
Silence (2016)
Frantz (2016)
The Handmaiden (2016)

Triple 9

Hell or High Water

Nocturnal Animals

The Girl on the Train

Toni Erdmann

Don't Breathe

The Neon Demon

Morgan

Criminal

Midnight Special

I know Lanthimos thanks to Dogtooth, i still have a weak point for Park Chan Gook but i agree he's quality guaranteed
I will watch it as i didn't know he had a meal in table, from my part i have to say Loveless from Zvyagintsev looks interesting, Andrey already provided literal kino before

Thankyou for these recs, I have Nocturnal Animals taped on the TV but the rest are new on me, will put them on the list.

Yeah, it's on my already released list since Leviathan was stellar. Still haven't seen most of these since the time to get an international blu-ray release of an independent film is pathetically long, it's like they actually want people to watch illegally:

Okja (2017)
The Circle (2017)
Donald Cried (2017)
After the Storm (2017)
Collossal (2017)
A Ghost Story (2017)
Deidre and Laney Rob a Train (2017)
Dunkirk (2017)
The Loveless (2017)
The Beguiled (2017)
Raw (2017)
The Dinner (2017)
Prevenge (2017)
Free Fire (2017)
First They Killed my Father (2017)
Mother! (2017)
Loveless (2017)
The Florida Project (2017)
Claire's Camera (2017)
Good Time (2017)
Marjorie Prime (2017)
Brigsby Bear (2017)
The Square (2017)

Scorcese isn't a jew

user, audience attendance is going down and movies (outside of the 3-5 big hits each year) are making less money on average.

Theaters need to push to change the licensing so they don't make more by selling junk food than they do off the movies.

what numbers are those?
box office earnings per year are up compared to ten years ago, how many billion dollar films have come out in the last five years?

Are you taking inflation into account?

Seems like people want it to die and so will find any excuse to say that's so, everything has to be in constant collapse to match their own individual instability

It's like people saying books or radio would go the way of the dodo, they might not be the go to entertainment format but it's still around

TV and film is just catching up to how people now want to consume media - instantly on demand and for less money

yes, compared to when there was a recession, more people are watching movies and subscribing to online services. the industry isnt dying, its evolving. just like the music industry has

Well to be fair TV is actually simmering down, even streaming services like Netflix aren't as nearly popular as independent media. It probably won't die but it will lose a lot of popularity.

Good

bamp

>he thinks "films" will ever stop being made, even if the (((film industry))) collapses.

Movies and movie making will probably never die. The issue is with market saturation and it's been that way since copycats and remakes have been a thing. People will pay to watch if there's a compelling reason, and right now it isn't capeshit.

motherfucker, capeshit lives in your head rent free.

Movies are doing bad because the only thing I can think of that comes out is capeshit and reboots. Reboots tend to be propaganda pieces and capeshit is capeshit. There isn't anything to watch anymore. Movies aren't doing anything to make them worth while to watch, they are bland and then tend to be 1.5 to 2 hours of "FEEL BAD FOR BEING WHITE OKAY YOU STUPID WHITE PERSON?"

Movies won't die, but we are moving away from them being the main place for culturally significant story telling.

Instead of movies like the Godfather being the popular story in pop culture, it's TV shows like Breaking Bad which get referenced.

There were several Star Trek movies made in the past decade, yet I can't recall anyone ever referring to the stories within them. They may have commented on how the movies were made, but no one cared about the stories. They were just fun rides. That's where movies are at now, they're the fun rides you get on for a couple hours then move on. Whereas TV shows are those stories you become engrossed in and talk about with friends.