So guys, lets talk drinking and video games

So guys, lets talk drinking and video games.
Specifically, are you autistic enough to try to pair your games with the perfect drink like I am.
If not, perhaps you should try.

So here are some of the pairings i'm fond of.

MGS 1 and 2 are Vodka games. MGS1 is straight vodka if you can handle it but 2 is definitely mix with orange juice or cranberry juice.
MGS3 and 4 are whiskey games. MGS3 is a scotch whiskey you would sip straight while 4 is something rough and cheap you would shoot or mix with cola.
I'm still not sure what MGS5 should be.

Dark Souls games can be either wine or beer games. Wine if you're a dex or magic build. Beer for all other builds.
Bloodborne is a switch between red wine or some liquor. I feel like the setting shouldn't allow for beer.

Fighting games are beer games.
Brawlers are beer games.

I'm not sure exactly where to place the likes of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta should be. The high energy makes me think that it should be a vodka and redbull mix but i'm not entirely convinced, especially for Bayonetta. The sophistication and complete intentional use of sexuality on the part of the character makes me think that perhaps it should be a wine or maybe even a champagne. maybe i'm missing the point and it should be a really well mixed high-priced cocktail?

Anyway, those are some of mine. What are yours or which ones can you come up with?

I play all games with rum. It's the only way for me to have fun anymore. I swear it seems to make me play better sometimes too, if I'm not totally shitfaced.

More like are you so retarded you cannot even think to go to another board when what you want to discuss isnt video games.

I tend to forget rum. Maybe because rum is that liquor that's like khaki pants. Kind of goes with everything.

Although I will say it was the only pairing for Assassin's creed 4. In fact, probably for any and all high-seas games.
Pair it with Wind Waker too.

I normally pair sake with any and all really japanese games I can't pin down.

How is this not video games?

If you really want/need to drink when playing videogames. Stop playing videogames and find something else to do. You only play videogames out of habit. And your shitposting here is not appreciated.

No. I'll just have a beer.

I'm sorry for you.

You don't feel like the atmosphere of the game lends any sort weight to what you could be drinking?

i usually just like a beer, and i can't get tipsy when gaming cuz i gotta be pretty focused to win in games

although if you're ever in a party situation, tekken is like a primo drunk catchall game its fucking magic, you'll be at some weird party or some shit and some one boots up a tekken and suddenly everyone knows that game, and drunken tekken antics with normalfags is kinda amusing

Same thing with smash bros.
Tekken always struck me as a game that you could button mash and feel like you're doing something good. Same thing with Soul Calibur, but it has an aspect to its mechanics that if you actually know what you're doing you're going to easily rise above button mashers.
Thats why I lump fighters in the beer game category. You can also switch up to shots. Most arena shooters you can switch up to shots or beer too.

As far as the focused thing. Its more about sipping during loading screens or between deaths or what have you.

I found found the more cutscenes in the game the drunker I get. Or the more level pauses.

Video games are not a drinking activity unless you want to give yourself some kind of handicap or play some dumb drinking game.
As I play video games for their original purpose of challenging myself, drinking runs counter to that. There are better things to enjoy a drink with. Like nearly anything else.

this post did inspire me to go crack open a brew as i farm sunlight medals in das3, so you're on to something with the sipping during screens and stuff

Eh, I could respect that.
Personally I treat both as a treat.
I get maybe 2 hours a day if I'm lucky to possibly play a game with no distractions.

Its nice to pair up treats and make a nice big treat, ya know?

There ya go.

I once tried to break it down by genre but even genres can be a bit too complex for that.

Although all MMOs and MOBAs seem the same. What's a good drink for those?
Beer too?

Is Beer the drink of competitive games?

eat a shotgun :^)

actually i'll be 30 this year.

Note the differences. When your in your teens, 21 through 24 you're drinking just to get drunk.

After that, the alcohol tipsyness is a nice side effect but now its more refined. More about taste and mood.
Drinking in your early years is more about doing it just to do it. Also your usually poor as shit so you're just mixing whatever swill you can find with whatever will make it easy to guzzle down.

Evolving tastes in drinking actually mirrors the evolving tastes of video game players rather nicely in those regards. Also when the tastes don't evolve.
An alcoholic is one who's taste doesn't evolve and they continue to drink for the sake of getting drunk.
There are those who have the same addictive nature with video games in which they're no longer playing for fun or challenge but playing just to fill the void that playing games takes in their life.

That's why I never really liked the term of hardcore and casual when it comes to games. When you compare it to drinking, the only time "hardcore" drinking is celebrated is in college frats where you win at contests of chugging and stuff that you all are supposed to grow out of. Those that never do are just sad pieces of shit later in life.
Same thing with games. Games aren't a "hardcore" activity. They are a recreational hobby. One where your tastes can evolve and become refined, much like drinking if done right.
I'm not saying you can't love the non-mainstream shit or the super time-sinks in video games, to me, that's like you trying to fine the most refined aspect of that genre. Like trying to find the perfect maker of a wine or scotch for yourself.
Its when you're playing for the sake of playing, to put hours in, that's when you're fucking up. That's where you're the same as a dude drinking MD 20/20 past the age of 23.

Says every fat fucking fedora autist. Why do you have such a hard time admitting you only do it to get fucked up?

I don't.

To me alcohol is alcohol, I drink anything I have available around at the moment. I don't discriminate but I can always taste the difference in beer when I drink from different brands, but after a few sips I the taste goes back to normal. I prefer whiskey to everything though.

Such is the life of an alcoholic.

there are millions of varieties of alcohol, thousands of different breweries, hundreds of different methods, and you think taste isn't a factor?

you're a god damn imbecile

The only thing I drink is either water or some fruit juice. I never really put much thought into this.

Tend to drink water when I'm playing fast paced video games (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta) to keep the reaction times low. But that's about it. I don't think too much on the taste and a vague way to connect it to a game.

I used to drink a lot of wine and play Street fighter alpha and gem fighter with some chick all night

was good shit

games should be fun without the drink though OP

If taste was the primary factor, you'd drink non-alcoholic varieties.

The fact that you're sitting here trying to justify to a total stranger that you love intoxicants for the taste, not the effect, is pretty fucking sad.

Go play some videogames you fucking drunk.

No, drinking isn't just for the taste. However, there is a point where you should go from choking down any available and cheap swill to actually really trying to find some taste and moods for the right types of drinks.
There is also a point where you should go from trying to get blind stinking drunk to only wanting to farm a light buzz as an end to an evening or during a nice dinner.

Basically what one must separate is the difference between party drunk and social or private drunk. That's the first thing. If you can't do that..then you may be an alcoholic.

I liken it to eating puffer fish (Fugu) sushi. If done right, it should leave your lips and tongue with a little tingle and/or numbness. If done wrong you fucking die.

Yes, taste can go but if your goal is to just get drunk by any means necessary you might need to seek help. It seems like you've come to terms with it though so you know that such an attitude is something that should only be done every so often, right?

I'm not saying they're not fun without the drink. Far from it. However, consider a game like a dinner meal. There is a long standing tradition in pairing the right wine or any other drink with the right dinner food.
I attempt to do the same with video games.
Yes, you can enjoy it all with water or whatever, but there is something special when you can pair the perfect wine with the way a steak is cooked.

I have a general question for the nay-sayers though. are you just straight-edge fags or what's the deal here?

When I play I try to only smoke sativa-dominant cannabis

Not for any reasons regarding flavor or aesthetic, but simply because sativa dominant marijuana produces the head high you want for playing games, where as indicas are more for watching TV and thinking as little as possible

When it comes to specific strains, right now my favorites for gaming fuel are:

1. Jamaican Dream
2. Blue Dream(actually a sativa/indica hybrid)
3.Agent Orange
4.Girl Scout Cookies (another hybrid)

you're sitting here trying to justify to a total stranger your own thin beliefs

no non alcoholic beverage tastes anything like an IPA or a whisky, and there are millions of people who can have single beer and call it done

and although yes inebriation is a big factor, if it was the only factor there wouldn't be so many varieties of alcohol in the first place

you go play some video games you little dweeb rather than act like some punk who just walked out of a D.A.R.E session

I want underage to leave, summer hasn't even started, I want to savor these remaining days

I actually don't think about this too much. The only good game I feel needs a little drink to play is stalker, and it's just because of that slavic depression

I aint straight edged, i'm open to all things, but pairing drink with games seems largely redundant.

However i cannot deny that playing Final Fantasy X and having a shot for every cringey cutscene was a very enjoyable experience.

also stop avatarfagging with the hyrule warriors lady come on now

Do they still even do DARE?
All DARE ever did was get me interested in drugs because I was smart enough to know (and exposed to enough media) to see that people that were very successful were doing drugs. So it obviously didn't ruin your life at first hit.

On another note, I find every IPA I come across just repulsive. I'm beginning to think its just a hipster meme.

That's great but I'd like to keep the discussion to drinks. Not everybody lives in a state that tells the federal government to go fuck itself on its stupid substance laws.

Its one of the first things that is popping up in my picture's folder.

Ok, that's something I've only touched on for things like fighting games and competitive/arena shooters. Where you turn it into a game of shots.
I wouldn't do that for any single-player experiences though.
And honestly, for all the cringe in the cutscenes, FFX wasn't that bad. Even the cringe factors because it came off as more as a huge fish out of water thing for me.
Think of it, Tidus had his problems but he was a super star. most people didn't get past the super-star aspect so anything and everything he did was automatically accepted.
He gets to a place where he isn't a superstar. he's just a weirdo. has to deal with nothing he knows about and nobody gives him any leeway other than "lol he's not from around here".

it's pretty hoppy, i like them but some just try too damn hard with the hops

try red betty brand, i love that shit

I've never had a good IPA, and my beer fanatic friend is always having what are supposed to be the best IPAs.

I just can't do it. The initial sip is ok but its the aftertaste that gets me.
that us the big thing for me, after taste.

same way with games really. I think games have an after taste you either love or hate.

oh for sure, you defintiely don't know if you love or hate a game until you've let it set in for a bit

cuz i can play almost any game to completion and enjoy it, but then once i'm done and reflect for a moment i'll know why it sucks and why i don't wanna play it again

Anyway, can anybody think of any concrete game pairings?
Do it by title or genre at this point.
I'm starting to feel like the only one that's ever bothered to try to give some thought to this.

port with boat games

coconut rum for beachey killy games

ASSFAGGOTS and gasoline

I've only recently started enjoying port drinks..

MAYBE PORT FOR PORTS OF GAMES LOLOLOLOL

no but seriously…boat games? why not rum for all sea and beach games?

You know, I actually have no idea what ASSFAGGOTS is supposed to refer to.

MOBAS are ASSFAGGOTS

a genre for real bottom feeders

you shoulda hopped on the port long ago, it's a very enjoyable drink

god i fucking hate beer

Scotch rum or vodka is what i have if i'm playing vidya. usually rum it goes well.

First time I tried a port it was too sweet for my pallet and I puked everywhere. A nice bright red puke.

I think it'd be a bit silly for me to make the same thread about pot
just so I can post

But don't worry; I don't think there's enough tokers on Holla Forums to disrupt your thread

i imagined you sitting at a bar in some club at 1am, with a bunch of empty cocktail glasses on the bar in front, everyone around you dancing and you're just staring intently at the screen above the bar, playing bayonetta after somehow managing to convince the barkeeper to let you hook up your wiiu to it.

Fair enough. I was trying to keep this as well rounded as possible.

That's just weird. Not only for the fact that some people would inevitably join in but any body that isn't a complete social retard would understand that going out to a bar with a bunch of friends would mean you're not giving a shit about video games.

If anybody is going to a bar with an intent to play video games I would hope their goal is to play into what the bar already encourages.

In short, what the fuck are you talking about?

MGS 1: cum
MGS 2: cum
MGS 3: cum
MGS 4: piss
MGS 5: cum

well, you paired expensive cocktails with bayonetta so that's the first scenario that popped up in my head. i don't mean this in an offensive manner but are you actually autistic?

Only faggots drink.
Real men keep their mind clear and straight.

Can't believe there are cucks who need drinks to relax or talk to girls.

No. at least nothing has pointed to that.
But when you start to try to seriously pair these things…
My inspirations go with game tone and the main character tone/feel.

Bayonetta strikes me as someone who would take some expensive fruity cocktail at a bar. Nothing straight on the rocks like a man and nothing cheap like some college slut.

So if I'm trying to emulate that mood, i might try to make something that is more than a mix of jack & coke or redbull & vodka. Something that takes at least a bit of craft. You get me?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but this has nothing to do with "talking to girls".
This is pairing treats. Pairing personal pleasures.

There is nothing here about trying to gain the opposite (or same) sex.

This is for people who enjoy these things alone, honestly.

don't fall for bait in yo own thread

Not sure what you mean.

With every game I play it's prolly just gonna be water.

Alcohol and gaming almost always gives me motion sickness if it's 3d. If it's 2d usually my timing gets too bad to play.

I also drink like twice a year now at most.

sage for sad life

I find that I get better as well. I have a feeling that even though alcohol slows your reactions down, it allows you to relax and let your reflexes do their job. Although, I'd say there is other stuff that is better than alcohol.

Alcohol < Weed < LSD

On acid, I can almost always "see" sound in the form of waves bouncing off the walls. It's pretty much a wallhack.

apple juice

Cheap games and cheap booze. Used to call this my practice runs for closing down the bar.

mostly I just drink when playing online games to manage my crippling social anxiety

no no no

Jager shots for hack n slash games
Beer for fightan
Whiskey and a cigar for jrpgs
Kraken for everything else

Holy shit dude, me too

checked

I don't drink alcohol.

MGS5 would be like Blue Margarita, It's not quite finished :^)

Holy shit what's with these people being aggresively healthy in this thread.

Did the waterfags came back?

There are mostly three kinds of people I can think of that engage in this:
that's how I see it. I would be in the third camp but I learned the hard way that helping others out of goodwill never goes unpunished. I would have just reported the thread if it went to shit.

sage for blogpost.

STALKER = vodka
JRPGs = sugary shit
Everything else = water/tea

I've been wondering… What if you did a playthrough of Mount & Blade: Warband where you had to eat the same things that your soldiers did? Fruit salad, beef jerky, dried fish, cheese, honey, olives, bread, etc… Wine and ale too, so it's related to this thread.

If you don't drink booze from a Sea Raider's skull while pillaging Vaegir villages then you don't know SHIT about video games

So much butter

i get you, buddy

I've had like two IPAs I actually liked and one was a friend's homebrew. I still try a new one every so often, but most of them are awful. Hipster bullshit.

Autism is no virtue