I fail to see how basic income is significantly different from regular welfare

I fail to see how basic income is significantly different from regular welfare.

All the explanations I've read about it seem to present it as a more efficient system of welfare, but that's it; it's still welfare.

If you live in the west, there are already government programs that will at least keep you alive (even for cis white male scum), provided you're a functioning adult who can do the bare minimum of contacting welfare services for help. And if you're not, basic income won't do anything for you as it's still a government program you have to contact.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income#Right-wing_views
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare
youtube.com/watch?v=jFti1SbC3pg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor:_Rise_of_the_Middle_Kingdom
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income#Right-wing_views
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare

"Right-wing views[edit]
Support for basic income has been expressed by several people associated with right-wing political views. While adherents of such views generally favor minimization or abolition of the public provision of welfare services, some have cited basic income as a viable strategy to reduce the amount of bureaucratic administration that is prevalent in many contemporary welfare systems. Others have contended that it could also act as a form of compensation for fiat currency inflation."

All you need to know.

Eh no, thats the point of basic income, you get it by default.

Anyway the arguments are as followed:
>Allows people to focus on re-education, self-training, working on projects that are not immediately profitable but might benefit society/make profit later on. It would allow the workers to take more risks and although this is just a liberal pipedream due to other costs and competition allow for easy creation of small businesses because the workers don't have to pay for their own sustenance.

Also some right wingers think that its cheaper than the current wellfare which allows for less muh taxes, but any capitalist (who need low paying labour) with half a brain should realise this will deal a massive blow to his profits due to many workers being given major leverage by not forcing them to work to survive.

It becomes left wing when the income is coming from socialized capital.

Regular welfare is a conditional social safety net for which you have to qualify. Basic income is a guaranteed provision designed to enhance the autonomy of households and individuals.

Guaranteed employment is the answer

Just look at what the Conservatives have done to welfare in the UK. It still technically exists, but they have tightened the restrictions to the point where people are being declared "fit to work" and having their benefits cut mere days before they die of illness.

The point of a UBI is not just to make sure that people aren't forced to jump through Kafkaesque bureaucratic hoops just to prove that they're not able to work, but also to allow people to choose not to work in a pointless, shitty job enriching some fat-cat capitalist just so they can survive. It massively increases the bargaining power of the working class, and sets up a framework for our society's transition into one where very few essential jobs actually exist.

A UBI is an antidote to capitalism's built-in unemployment.

Also, a UBI would allow artists and other hobbyist creators to create culture without the need for any kind of cancerous "intellectual property" (read: theft from the public domain). There would be no excuse for copyright under a UBI.

Not if we don't have enough jobs to go around. Guaranteed work only leads to "job creation" aka doing shit less efficiently than possible to keep people "employed".

Its shit, dont make 10 people dig a ditch with shovels, let one man do it and send the others home for 9 days, rotate them instead or even better, just give people money so they can do shit they feel is usefull to society.

I don't see how that has anything to do with my argument, that basic income is not significantly different from regular welfare.

Yes, you get it by stopping by the welfare office to pick up your check or have it deposited to your account, i.e. be a functional adult with a minimum amount of agency. Point being that even a basic income requires you to put in a teeny bit of effort (show up to get the money), and if you can't even do that then basic income won't do anything for you.

As I've said, this is not a problem in a western country. There are already programs that will at least you keep you alive.

Ok, it's more efficient. I don't dispute this.

What do people on welfare currently do?

Guaranteed employment is grossly inefficient. It is simply cruel to force another human to work, not because the work is necessary, but because you believe in the protestant work ethic spook.

It would be much better to allow people to spend their time contributing to society and their own happiness in the ways they see fit, rather than forcing them into a life of pointless drudgery.

If you think there's a welfare system anywhere on Earth which merely requires someone to ask for money, then you're completely delusional.

No, the point of a UBI is just that, a universal basic income. The government gives you enough money to keep you alive, and I'm saying that the government already does that.

All that political rhetoric you posted is tangent to the main purpose of UBI, and has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

What kind of fucking dumb system do you live under? No, welfare gets deposited into your account that you need for taxes and paying bills anyway. If you are so mentally handicapped you cant manage that then you will be under supervision in the medical system, and you won't be able to live in a house because rent and shit.

Almost 100% of countries in the west require you to actively look for jobs. If you dont apply x amount of times per month you will not get welfare.

Lots of people in shit jobs will quit because they will be able to pursue whatever they want without having to go on 5 interviews each month and all the other shit I already wrote down, if you bothered to read it.

Please, go down to your local job centre (or equivalent government department) and ask them for some of that free money. Tell them you hate your job and want to quit and live on welfare. It will be an enlightening experience for you.

(and you also can't make any money on the side, so starting your own bussiness is a no go)

That sounds very light. In the UK they want you to spend at least 30 hours a week job hunting, and for a while they were forcing people to work as unpaid trainees (read: full-time slaves) in supermarkets.

I'm just going of the top of my head, I dont know the detaisl as ive not been unemployed.

Maybe you shouldn't present yourself as a welfare expert then and an armchair psychologist who can tell us all about what unemployed people are really like

More importantly what is game?

Pathetic.

youtube.com/watch?v=jFti1SbC3pg

Basic income, assuming other out of work benefits are scrapped, means that somebody working will always earn more than somebody who isn't. The system is much simpler and won't result in claw-backs when the government decide they've over paid you.

As others have said, there is criteria for most other welfare payments (job hunt, signing on, taking unpaid work). Under UBI there would be none of this. Simply, every citizen aged 16/18 and over gets the same payment directly into their account every month.

The other benefit of UBI over current welfare is that people working menial jobs that they hate could cut back their hours, potentially splitting their 40 hours into a twenty hour shit, creating a new part time job for somebody else.

There's also a thinking that people would find something productive that they enjoy doing where the pressure to survive is alleviated.

Here

you downplay the amount of bullshit that comes with job seekers allowance (UK). This would be gone with UBI.

The problems with UBI are as follows

kids (under most basic UBI a family with one kid would be recieving twice as much as a single mother with 4 kids)
Disability (a person with say cerebral palsy would get the same as a guy in his 20s in peak physical condition)
Cost.

The biggest issue is cost. The other two can be rectified with minor changes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor:_Rise_of_the_Middle_Kingdom
it is 10/10

Neat thanks. Looks somewhere between Stronghold and Pharaoh. I'll check it out after work.

it is more of pharaoh

I'm alright with this.

They had no other choice, the EU told them to give the same welfare to their citizens and to the Polish people living in the UK. It made 300,000 Polish enter the UK every year. At some point they didn't had enough money and had to cut costs. Then, they had to cut costs more. Then, more. Then, again.

Then, they found another way.

Cost is not an issue since we only take the spendings of the welfare and share it.

What is an issue is the people who have a real medical condition and can't find a job. $400 per month is few.

In America, you don't get benefits unless you have a disability or a kid
Source: have neither and tried to get benefits many times

Also, yes basic income is welfare repackaged and simplified

Wrong. That only applies to in-work benefits. The rules regarding unemployment benefits are much more complex. You can't just cross the border and immediately start claiming benefits.

Pure bullshit. They could still afford to give tax breaks to their friends and pay for completely unnecessary wars of aggression. The idea that austerity is necessary is a ridiculous lie which has sadly been bought by a majority of people. Any government expenditure can be characterised by the expected return in taxes from each pound spent. The first things to be cut under austerity were the services which provided the greatest return in taxes.