Vulkan API

So this is the first time I've heard of this, and I'm excited at the idea of an API that doesn't require an upgrade to Windows NSA. What does Holla Forums think? Is this going to be able to beat DirectX? Or will we be forced to play new games on Windows only?

I'm sick of hearing about it to be honest. I just want to start seeing some games, and Vulkan is still far from having games ready.

Why sage?

Well isn't part of the process getting developers interested?

Unproven so far. The Vulkan crew themselves say that it's largely an extension of OpenGL so it won't be universally adopted (like DX9 to DX11/12). They recommend to not use it unless you absolutely need to.

However, if you build for it then you have far better access to the hardware. If you're a AAA developer that needs every last frame and has a team that can crank out the fine details, you can get anything that DirectX can offer you. It's anyone's guess if it will be adopted by industry giants but at least the potential is there.

So far only The Talos Principle has a working version and you already see the performance boosts compared to OpenGL and DirectX. Then again, that may just be CroTeam flexing their advanced engine wizardry/autism.

I just don't want to have to give up Win 7 to play new games. It's not worth the government looking at my shit all the time.

That won't be a worry, W10 has nothing going for it and with the newest DX just being a rebranded Vulkan anything that was built as a W10 exclusive would probably work on Vulkan-compatible systems with a quick and dirty hack or other workaround.

But that would still take time to implement, even more so than cracks on something that has Denuvo. God help us if it was both W10 exclusive AND had the anti-piracy bullshit

Halo 2 was able to be played on XP when it was a Vista exclusive. It just depends on how much people want to play the game.

Since all W10 exclusives are shit, don't expect it soon.

Besides, by the time 7 is dead, can always hop to Linux instead with a VM if a game can't be run any other way.

Proof of performance boosts? As far as I'm aware Talos Principle only uses a wrapper. With that kinda overhead there should be no performance boost at all.

Lots of companies are going against DX12, not only that but Vulkan supports all platforms regardless of Windows branding, including mobiles and the PS4.
Only Squeenix is currently making use of DX12 after all these months, no doubt due to Micro$hafts money.

Vulkan is going to win this race, Windows 7 and PS4 still have the biggest market share, and thats where most devs will release their games.

I hate that the state of affairs makes it so that I actually want M$ to stop producing new OSs & just make 7 better without inserting spyware.

Be careful for what you wish for

That's exactly what I'm saying. I can't ask for M$ to work on 7 without getting the spyware, and I can't upgrade because all their new shit is just NSA shit.

I sincerely hope it destroys propriety Direct Shit but I don't think most "gamers" will be behind it since most are so fucking retarded they still buy DLC

I remember when I still had hope.

i clicked for cyber tits

where are the cyber tits

Go CLANG somewhere else.

Nigger its not about hope.
Vulkan is an API thats as good as DX12 thats avaiable to many more platforms and OSs.
Not only that but big companies have come against DX12.
This is about numbers and facts, it makes sense for Vulkan to be the more successful API.

This is less about the consumer and more about developers.
Right now Vulkan offers a much better deal to them.

It is tho.

It requires more effort and there's zero ecosystem around it. You won't see it widely adopted until it's more palatable for people other than AAA studios writing their engines from scratch.

It's based on Mantle, which is Vulkan is based off of, m9.

Only 2-5% of the flagship android mobile market in the next few years can use Vulkan as it's 64-bit only and limited in processors it can use. Apple has vendor locked their phones to their own API as well and developers are prioritising iOS. Sony has no plans to adopt Vulkan and is committed to using their using their OGL fork, GNMX

Windows 7 will be overtaken by Windows 10 as the largest OS on Steam by next months hardware survey and Vulkan is limited on Windows 7 anyway. You need a Linux Distro or Windows 10 or maximum performance using Vulkan. Sony isn't supporting Vulkan either and has told it's developers it has no plans to do so in the future because why would they need it? They have their own lower level in house API designed around their hardware that goes better than Vulkan.

There's dreams and reality, m8. And reality is that Vulkan has a huge uphill climb, will support nowhere near the amount of devices that the hype has been claiming and has been vastly overyhyped since it's the only alternative to Microjew. You are just setting yourself up for a letdown if you think the industry will switch.

W10 shill, pls go and stay go.

In Talos, I'm getting some15% better performance on Vulkan than OpenGL. It still lags 35% after DX11.

But drivers are not ready, optimizations missing, Vulkan has a few problems they're resolving slowly and Talos' engine isn't optimized yet.

Even if it does overtake W7 isn't that still less than half the user base when you include W8 users?

Developers will offer little more than easily made optional DX12 patches at most, they'll always go for the lowest common denominator.

And Vulkan being 64 bit on ARM is hardly a big deal this early in, they were never interested in having the tablets and phones of today using it. The next version of Android is going to support it though.

It's an uphill battle but everybody is so sick of Microsoft that it's not impossible.

You must be using nVidia. They have utter dogshit implementation of DX12 and Vulkan.

AMD, both processor and graphics card.

I must call bullshit on that, because that game have already been shown to run miles better on Vulkan than any other API, on AMD hardware.

Why should I instead trust some fag on anonymous imageboard that cracked out no proof whatsoever?

Not exactly, they have a slightly worse implementation and way worse hardware, Nvidia has always been ahead due to the drivers, DX12/Vulkan is made to make the drivers much less relevant performance wise so the AMD card which have always had monstrous specs and shit drivers get a lot of improvements from it.

10 will only overtake 7 if it stays free which unless they change their mind, will end next month, or they stop giving it support which will happen in 4 years.

I still see workstations running XP (and not the embedded editions either).

Asshole.

These were done with different settings than in the run I mentioned earlier, so results are different. Maxed everything except supersampling.

I don't know what's right, I just find it funny that from his perspective you'd rather believe what you read on the internet than what he's seeing in front of his eyes.

Are you retarded or just pretending?

You're clearly missing the point.

m8 this shit's old news

upgrade that cpu to fx 8320/8350
double the amount of ram

and your system is modern

Right now there aren't many things that even use it.

There's a couple tech demos, Talos principle, Retroarch (only RA itself not the cores yet), RPCS3 and Xenia

Dolphin and PPSSPP are working on a Vulkan renderer and there's also an experimental fork of the angrylion plugin in the works and it already can run a bunch of games at several times fullspeed, SM64 runs at 200 VI/s currently and it's not even finished yet (angrylion is currently CPU only and can barely run more than a couple of very simple games fullspeed.)

are they going to make a salamanders focused game

I think its time for microsoft to eat a mean dick.
A bag of it.
For real.
Ya really.

Your biological engine is shit