Romhacks on Steam

yeah I know

so how long until paid romhacks are a thing?

Whenever you check these dubs

thank kek

You don't pay for romhacks, just the game the romhacks are supposed to be applied to.

You really don't see paid mods coming on a platform designed specifically for paid mods?

SEGA isn't that stupid. I can see them trying to control romhacking so people will buy their inferior emulator packaged with roms, but actually charging for romhacks would be shooting themselves in the foot for something that wouldn't get them much revenue, anyway.

The majority of workshop content I've seen has been free, in fact I've never seen any paid workshop content. Maybe it exists but I haven't seen it so I don't think it's fair for you to say the workshop is

How long until they have an official dreamcast emulator? The ones we have now are shit.

I hope they put up Ninja Gayden first. Then maybe Donner Party.

Your PC is just fucking shit.

If only the romhack community wasn't so dead / centered on the same fucking games i'd be playing on a emulator or an actual Sega Genesis.

What does that have to do with what I said? Can you even buy stuff on the workshop?

the Workshop EULA and the system itself was designed from the ground up as a DRM platform for mods. It the EULA/ToS spells that out on a silver platter and has since Workshop first launched

Okay so if it allows such a thing where are the examples of it, that's what I'm curious about, if the complaint is that Steam has paid mods where are they? I'm not trying to argue I'm trying to understand what the complaint is and if I'm misunderstanding them. I don't see any kind of paid mods in my experience, I'm assuming other people do so I'm asking for insight. Sorry if I'm not being clear.

Nigger, where you not ALIVE when steam had paid mods for a couple of days and the entire pc gaming community REEEEEEEEed at Valve for weeks afterwards?

They will try this shit again, one way or another. Maybe they'll softball it, maybe they'll be blatant about it like "Hello, my name is Gaben and I just slapped your girlfriend's ass, what the fuck u gon do?"

It was with Skyrim in late April, 2015. It only lasted for a few days since there was an overwhelmingly negative reaction.

Paid mods were around for an exceedingly short while with Skyrim being used as a testing ground. Instantaneously the entire Steam workshop was flooded with troll mods offering text-changes for $100 and the Steam forums were flooded with posts calling Gabe and the rest of Valve a bunch of fucking retards, with one or two "th-they deserve to be compensated for their hard work" limpwristed apologists sprinkled in.

The internet basically fucking exploded all over Valve for trying to charge for something that's been free for decades and their official opinion on it after it blowed over a little was basically that they'd try it again later on a less high-profile game than Skyrim.

Alright I know this is probably a faggy thing to say but
Damn, I thought Sega was just sort of senile and lost and, while they still probably are, this is something that old Sega would do. This is that kind of edgy, rule-breaking behavior you'd expect from Sega and what makes it even more Sega is the fact that I can't help but shake off the feeling that this is a slap in the face to Ninty.

I want Sega to come back and be bigger and better than ever. Even if this isn't a thing we can expect often, this one moment gave me a good smile and a hearty chuckle.

Only good thing I can think of for this is that I can glance there if anything new comes out. Outside that, rather use a flash cart.

HOLY FUCK JUST SAY IT
You don't need to put a qualifier or apology in front of everything you say you fucking cuck.

Missed opportunity

Retard

It's because people would get upset and call me a "shill" if I said anything positive about it, probably. No offense man but that sort of anger is generally more suited to 4chan.

No shit, I'm talking about now. I have never seen any on the workshop. Are you all retarded? Nobody has posted any paid workshop content yet, I'm starting to doubt it exists.

Nobody said that there are paid mods on Steam RIGHT NOW. We're saying that there were paid mods for a short period of time before and OP is saying paid romhacks might be a thing in the future. A grimdark future where there is nothing but wa- microtransactions.

The person I was replying to said
Apparently it's designed for this but it's not actually doing that, so what's the worry, how is it designed for it as well?
The workshop started free and remains free, I think it's really stupid to say that an entire platform is designed for something that happened once for a brief period and no longer happens, and again it wasn't even how the workshop was in the beginning or even for a long time. People are so vocal against Steam for stuff that it doesn't even do, it makes me wonder sometimes as to why. I started seeing this shit around the time competitors cropped up.

The emulator the MD Collection uses is a stripped down Gens core so that tells you how much they care.

Sega does what nintendon't, etc etc.

Honestly though, I always thought Sega was 'in favor' of the fan community. Just look at Sonic Retro and the other Sonic fangaming sites - they never gave them any trouble.
As for Streets of Rage Remake, they did C&D the creators, but they did that after it was released, giving an ample window for the Internet to spread it. And this was a project with 5+ years in the making with public progress reports.

So yeah, I think they're cool indeed.

I don't use Steam though, and for romhacks I would simply download the IPS patch/rom and open it on a regular emulator.

I want SEGA to fill the power gap that'll be left in the console market when Xbox dies and Nintendo goes full mobile/Skylanders.

Pretty sure Dota2 is getting paid mods.