MAKING GAME IS HARD HURR

Meanwhile, the guy that makes Demon Souls, Dark Souls series, BloodBorne, Armored Core:Last Raven and Armored Core 4

archive.is/lLRxa

please use archive.is/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

Why haven't you made any video games, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

legendariumgame.tumblr.com/post/143729552915
please
easy-rpg.org/editor/
easy-rpg.org/player/downloads/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

huh

Not all humanities degrees are shit, user.

Are you saying Social Science is one of those degrees that isn't shit? Because you're a slack jawed dumb fuck if you are.

In Finland it's basically just a degree, I got a job in a completely other field with it.

Because I'm unmotivated to learn anything beyond web development shit and Python, and I'm too shy to ask /agdg/ where and how to start

I need to get good first.

I don't have a computer

He got real lucky getting hired by From for having fuckall experience in video games. He didn't even have connections there.

How did Kojima end up in Konami again?

How the fuck do you end up in vidya anyway?

You can do anything you want at any point in your life, you just have to stop being a faggot

At what? Miyazaki can't code for shit, a casual gamer AND a 29 years old when he want to be a game dev

fuck video games tbh i just want to make dosh and retire forever

i majored history
no jobs ahead of me
i will never regret that

Kojima made that penguin run game.

In order to become president so quickly you have to have incredible social and political clout. You need to be well liked by many people, and pick the right battles to reach the top. He probably stepped on many people, especially because he got there so quickly.

Japan has some serious employment differences.
In the west it seems fuckers join and leave shit all the damn time and said fuckers are often a more aged appearance.
Japan is just:
>When you quit we shame you and as is customary, demand you commit seppuku sadoku

So here in this space I rattled off my most easily obtainable idea for a vidya gaem.
Looked for an image to best describe what it would look like.
Just found out someone else already made it.
It is called VA-11 HALL-A.
I am now incredibly demoralized.

Option B is basically the same but fantasy theme.
Honestly I've put more thought into that one anyway.
I just like cyberpunk more.

Japs don't give a shit about majors, user. I got two foreign exchange japs at my college. One is a girl majoring in Women's Gender Studies, the other's a guy with his hair done in twists to look black, majoring in African-American studies.

Get pygame.

I drafted a design document for a game and have some programming experience, but I've no budget for art assets like models and sound at the moment. And it would just look like uninspired bullshit, or not the way I wanted, if I pulled some free assets and other bullshit.

I've done art for games, (only small-time stuff to pay the bills so far,) but I've never made my own game. Art alone can't make a game, and I suck at programming. Not in a no training or effort kind of way, I seriously tried, took two years of classes, and was just awful. Besides, even if I somehow magically became competent at programming overnight, I've done enough art for games already to know that half-decent art alone is already more than enough work. (For that matter, coding a game single-handedly is also easily be a full-time job on its own.) So the only practical way for me to make a game is to find someone else to help with coding, but all coders have their own stuff going on and I can't afford to hire one for the amount of time it'd take to make an actual game.

…And that is why I haven't made my own game. I'd love to, but my skills are art, and art alone does not make a game. So I just work on other people's games, or any other art jobs I can find. And outside of work, I focus on developing my game pipe dreams, or things not meant to be games at all, like books. I absolutely can write a book on my own, and if that works, I'd have the coder money to make my true dream happen.

Meanwhile the people who actually make the game (see: the people who make it, not the people who tell other people to make it) have god-like artistic/programming skills, and are doing some serious wizardly to manage to produce AAA-tier games in ridiculously unreasonable deadlines and indecisive management that has no idea what the fuck they're doing.

I've always wondered where does one start. What's the first goal? To make a black screen with title name on it or something?

Make a simple game with "programmer's graphics." Keep adding to it over time whenever you feel like it.

I made a simple game where you have to keep a ball in the air, every time it touches the paddle, it disappears and takes a random X position. It was shit, but it was my shit.

You pick an existing popular engine and watch youtube tutorials. Don't start from scratch, it will be utter shit unless you have an actual degree in computer science. Nothing wrong about using existing tools.

Starting with the UI like main menu or GUI interactions is a pretty terrible idea, priority wise considering a lot else being more important. The first goal is probably prototyping the design, whether shit like the enemy behavior you thought was cool is actually cool, or the damage calculation you thought was balanced is actually balanced, etc.

The first game(s) I made mostly to get the hang of using the engine, on launch it went straight to the playing scene without a main menu. Because if I wanted to see if shit actually worked the way I wanted to, it's more convenient for testing to go straight to it than click a few times to get to the game.

I don't want to be pointing fingers at people I haven't met but this is all too likely. And if true, then he's probably taking credit for other people's work just like Inafune.
Why even bother learning how to make good games if some faggot is just gonna take all the credit? Why bother doing anything at all? Psychopaths have already won long ago.

Hello friend
I know your pain

I'm working on it MOM stop BOTHERING ME with these AGDG GENERALS and SHIT

This is how tired I am because of this shit.

All I can manage is Game Maker. I do a lot of modding, and I try to make it as unrecognizable from the source material as humanly possible when I do it, but I'm just one guy with no formal training. I get a little better each and every time I take someone's broken code and make it function efficiently, building some of my own on top of theirs, but you can only learn so much that way.

I've been modifying an early copy of Nuclear Throne for a while now. Some bits and pieces of it are broken, but it's really testing what I said above – ALL of the code is broken, so I've subsequently rewritten most of it. The one thing I can't replace is the audio – where Vlambeer had professional sound engineers and voice actors, I have SFXR and Musagi. People never sing words of praise for those magnificent motherfuckers that really make the game soar.

My own personal project is going to come after I complete this one. I've spent too long taking baby steps, gonna make the leap after this.

This what soured me on trying to climb the ladder in the "real" gaming industry. When I was a little game-loving kid, I just figured you worked at a company and made games with other people who love games, sounds awesome! By the time I learned how things really worked, it was clear that even if you put in the time, and worked you way up to the first name in the credits, you still weren't really making the decisions. You're just doing way more work than the people still telling you what to do and getting paid less. Between that garbage and the fact that big gaming quit making what it was that I loved about games in the first place, screw that. It wasn't grey gritty shooters that made me decide I totally want to make games when I grow up.

However, that didn't stop me from wanting to make games, it just stopped me from wanting to do it the traditional way. The one tiny silver lining is that when the main industry became garbage, other options became more practical.

First goal as in absolutely first thing you do, or first goal as in first thing you intend to make?

I really wanted to make a game. I've wanted to make one for some time, but I just don't think I have the personality for it, if that makes sense. It takes a special sort of individual, the type of person who can set reasonable goals for themselves and work to meet those goals while also setting new goals and always improving. It takes a certain type of attitude, the kind of attitude that says, "I may be small and I may be weak, but I have all the tools in front of me and enough time to see my vision through". It also takes a certain type of insight into what makes human beings work, and it takes a certain amount of introspective analysis to understand where your weaknesses are and what needs work. Beyond all of this shit, it takes time, a hell of a lot of time, time that we all have, but which not all of us use effectively, and it takes a natural ability to learn about a great deal of things from all manner of disciplines.

The market is too saturated, too many people want to use games to push their agenda or put themselves on a pedestal. Too many people will overlook your production because it isn't flashy enough or it's too niche. I am disheartened by the state of the industry. Everyone has to have their fucking opinion, even if they don't know what the fuck they're talking about, and this attracts morons who would leech off a successful product by fleecing an audience they can fool into thinking they're important enough to talk about said product.

If your product becomes successful, it isn't necessarily because it's a competent system or story within its own right, but more likely because it ticked enough of the right boxes in the right combinations and at the right time.

I'll probably still try and make a game, but it probably won't ever be noticed and that sort of makes me hesitant to start seriously working on something.

Stop browsing imageboards if you want to accomplish your dreams. This is God talking to you.

I just want to make vidya music, so now I am. I think the key is to keep busy, I do the gym, I work 8 hours (and soon will be on nightshift) and try to finish a song-a-week (either transcription, arranging, or composing) and take a week long break every 2-3 weeks or so.

I guess you have to approach whatever it is you're doing in little baby-step goals and finish whatever it is you're working on, no matter how much you hate what you've created, it takes quite a bit of time before you're pleased with what you've made, there will always be something wrong with it (to you, or maybe others) but you got to finish it so you can improve.

shit, musicians I speak with never seem happy with what they produce, or seem mildly pleased despite it sounding really good (to me) and it's the same way with my stuff.

I've heard programmers I work with feel the same way about their personal projects.

God thats depressing

Oh man, this.

I made a little particle system a few days ago
legendariumgame.tumblr.com/post/143729552915

N I C E

None of you will ever amount to anything

Do you make music for free games or mods?

This is why I don't think that mastering programming is a realistic goal. Just as I know some programmers I doubt could ever be good at art, I don't think I have the sort of head that could ever really do programming well. And really, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, there's a reason people are good at one or the other. Heck, specific aspects of art and programming are careers in themselves.

In the spirit of a realistic appraisal of one's strengths and weaknesses, I've concluded that my game dreams require a coder who isn't me. So now the goal is finding/affording to hire one.

Why is it nearly impossible to find on-model Freya fan art?

This

Right now? For anyone who wants composition done, the projects that I've given to (thus far) have been all amateurish and most likely won't see the light of day.

I'm sitting on my hands at the moment with just random compositions (to keep up the weekly pace) until I get confirmation that their project is leaving the ground.

Not that I'm complaining about their work ethic do, I like having a project to work on.

Because, R A T O

Pffft.. I've still got another 6 months before I'm 29.

I'll follow my dreams then.

Meh, I could design an infinitely better game with all the resource he got. He's just a lucky gook tbh.

As impressive as Miyazaki's vita is, he is the exemption from the rule.

But user I am making a shitty game, the real problem is how do I make it gud and where do I post it afterwards.

Making is easy, having good design, good aesthetics and good advertisment is another thing enterely, and fuck the world if anyone thinks I'm gonna suck up to SJWs to get free ads.

Good luck user, know that somwhere in the world someone is rooting for you.

I know that feel, I am a programmer, throw me a logical problem and I solve it as easily as I breath, but I can't draw for shit, though I haven't given up and have steadly improved, but all I did so far is play catch up with people that seem to have a actual talent. Nonetheless, never give up anons.

>please use

Pretty shocking story.

Social science has got to be some kind of mistranslation. No fucking way.

this does not matter, all you need to do is be satisfied with what you do.

Social science in Japan is different than it is elsewhere.

No, it's the same age of enlightenment philosophy bullshit everywhere.

I feel that throwing whatever turd I could crap out would be rude, because I would be wasting people's time with my horrible decision making, abysmal skills, and shit taste.

So I do not create anything, and thus the world is a better place for it.

Your move.

Don't let other people's views on your creation shackle your artistic freedom. Be a very humble servant for your audience, but don't be so humble that you think your creation has no place in this world.

No, the world doesn't become a better place without your creation. You're making art because you're searching for a harmony that doesn't exist in this world. Try to unleash all your effort on making this harmony that you have always dreamed of.

Because I'm learning how to art to make a pretty game. Then I'm going to go into GameMaker, make some shitty game, and then make the least shittiest game I've ever made.
I know I'm going to be making gestures drawing for a shitload of time but who gives a fuck, I'm 21. Let's go, bitch.

Wow, what a great example for all game devs.

I guess that explains why the souls games are all garbage.

There's a significant difference between Miyazaki and your typical anonymous poster on a chan board. Miyazaki got hired to FromSoftware, which is a small development agency whose growth and popularity exploded with the Souls series, yes, but they were small at the time. They already had talented and budding individuals who could do this shit.

Miyazaki was a designer on the games, he wasn't a programmer/artist/designer/engine maintainer/sound guy/music guy/etc like indies have to be, he didn't try to make all the shit himself. He had a team working under him.

When you liken us to Miyazaki you're really being unfair and moving the goal posts, because video games today are different from video games 10 years ago. You can't walk into an office with no experience whatsoever and go "Hey, I wanna be the guy who runs the show and makes video game, I want to be the guy. I have zero experience, make me lead designer already, what are you waiting for?"

You'd get asked to leave. They expect you to work from the bottom rung up, get BSc or BA, work as junior position (they don't do junior developer positions in Japan, so this right off the bat should cue you into something).

He was 29 when he got a job at FromSoftware as the lead designer. Well I'm 31, I know that Blizzard Entertainment isn't going to tell Chris Metzen to take a hike if I walk in, any already established tech firm already has an established "basis" one of whom will be the designer.

You can't just say "MIYAZAKI DID IT, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU FUCKHEAD? JUST LIKE MAKE GAME!"

Cause it doesn't work that way.

Nigger no, if I wanted to create I would ultimately have to stick to a book. And even then nobody would read it because nobody cares about the story of "special snowflake furnigger I never got to play a lot in D&D". I just have a lot of stupid shit in my head that needs to go away so I can fill the void with something more useful, or at the very least something a lot less retarded.

Plus all I have is vague plot ideas and a retarded setting, which is more for someone writing a book. And I can't write in a way that sounds actually interesting even if there's a gun to my head

There's always building a team with your fellow indie anons, but that's a horrible idea because your time will be filled with shuffling through untalented niggers (you best hope whoever has "firing people" duty isn't a limp wristed faggot), lazy cunts, and people who are only there for THEIR ideas to be taken up as the team's project. Ultimately that shit is draining and more than likely everyone who is actually talented will burn out and quit to the point of just dissolving the group long before you can settle down and make some games.

Lucky bastard, idea guy gets a job at a small company and then it explodes in popularity, nobody can replicate that

I second this, if there's a will there's a way

No, the first thing you do is prototype gameplay

The type of person you are describing is someone who learned to be that, not someone who was born this way

Exactly, if you were a person who needs toc reate something and were always satified with it you would never improve, the key to creation is to be displeased enough you want to improve and know when what you are doing is good enough so you don't waste too much time on it.

Just make a video game if you like video games, fam.

That's the harmony you're looking for. You just need to articulate it somehow.

Better die doing something meaningful than live as nothing.

Tell us about your amazing game user

Basically open world action RPG with Gothic style quest fetching and Morrowind world design, skill building, and item management. If I had the programming skill and/or human resource, I'd make the combat feel like Blade of Darkness, but for now I can't move away from Game Maker Studio.

Why is it that all of your examples are and you can't just describe your mechanics and how you want to make a game? If your sense of "this is what my game is" is a design document full of "it's gothic with morrowind and a little blade of darkness" you'll never succeed.

If you have a passion for something, you will learn to describe it in a way that sound both compelling and interesting to others.

what i get from this is that if you're not a gamer, you dont have any programming experience, and you're too old, you will never be a game developer, UNLESS you are japanese.

god bless japan.

Because I don't fucking want to, I'm not interested in making vidya.

It ain't that easy.

Finding a studio or a good team locally is nigh impossible (or at least it is for me here) and working on your own or with strangers online is stupidly hard as well.
I'm just a drawfag anyway, so in my case my projects never go anywhere.

What did he present from with to get hired?

How did he get a job for a foreign IT company with a social science degree?

It's a lot easier to call a rose a rose than describe a green cylinder leading up to a ring of thin, leaf-like forms of varying colors blah blah. In a thread like this, nobody wants to read the long and in-depth nuanced version of your big dream, experience makes that clear.

And don't say there's anything wrong with a game being described relative to other games, plenty of great games could be described that way. I'd say almost every single thing about every single game could be described that way, there's hardly any game that has a specific thing only it did ever.

Well, it's a bit hard to describe it, but it's just a simple game where you're a man with a gun and a main mission who walk around meeting people doing their own businesses and exploring non-interconnected stories and lore.

Sounds to me like he's a mook who bumbled along and got free shit until he landed on a dev team.

The captain of the ship is not shoveling coal user but is still a captain.

This will happen.

And this will be a huge problem too. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just as fair for one person to want to do their thing as any other. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone were happy to work hard on someone else's ideas for free, I wouldn't be. If I'm not doing what I personally want, I sure expect to be paid.

Nonetheless, it will almost certainly destroy any and all teams that aren't united by being paid. There's a tiny chance that you can find people who are truly united by the same interests, but that's nigh-impossible, especially if you're trying to get multiple people together with skills AND the same goals in mind. That's like, lottery winning odds right there.

This too. Some stuff works just fine online, and I'm sure not saying you need everybody in the same room at all times no exceptions to make a game, but there's definitely stuff where it's a huge pain to get the idea across unless you're all looking at the same monitor. If the stars aligned and I found the perfect team, I would still want us to be within driving distance of each other, long distance collaboration sucks when making games.

I think if you wanna make your games nowadays you have to go indie. And you must, MUST put your name above the tittle like Kojima does. That way people know what expect from your games and dont just think about the studio.

FWIW I'm 36. I'm middle management at a major international corporation (traded on three different markets). I do allright for myself, and I'll probably break six figures this year due to a good bonus.

I've been teaching myself development in my spare time as a hobby, and I find it really rewarding. Seriously, if you've got a bit of attention span, park your ass in front of a machine and dedicate a weekend to learning the basics of something like Unreal Engine 4.

I've been doing about 2-3 days a month for about 8-9 months and I've gotten to the point that I can sit down and build out the basics of a third person or twin stick game in a matter of hours. This is scratch-building, and I intentionally force myself to start fresh each time so I can experiment with different ways of achieving the same ends and so I commit the process to memory.

Usually I work out on a satuday morning, get home, grab a shower, throw on some music or a podcast and get to work until its time to cook dinner.

I've actually started work on what is my first 'real' project (intended for eventual release) this past weekend. It feels great, seeing something I built from the ground up taking form and functioning.

Why not make something small with simple graphics , but is polished in gameplay.

other shit i could be doing instead

Is the retarded programmer mentality found in western videogames Industry. Programmers are like crabs in a bucket were they are all a team and no one must rise above. Japs aren't afraid to go full auteur.

As much as everyone loves to rip on the place for being a pile of fur-faggotry, I know two artists who got hired by people who came across their DeviantArt portfolios.

Hell, I've got a short list of artists I plan to contact to do some character portraits for me when I'm ready (I'll be paying of course, probably above market rate as well as I'd like to use them for multiple projects).

I wouldn't mind working over long distance but it simply doesn't work unless you really stick together and exchange daily, otherwise momentum dies extremely quick. Few people are ready for that kind of commitment.

Like I said, I can't code. I've tried for years but I'm even too dense to use Game Maker.
Gamejams have worked out great in my experience, though out of the 4 I've participated in only 1 was remotely finished.

Money doesn't motivate me unfortunately. I've done paid work before but it doesn't drive me.

The problem with building a team with unknown people is that everyone wants to be the director.

This was kind of what was happening on the indie side of things until hipsters realized they could shit out browser-tier games with pixel graphics and cash in on the nostalgia crowd.

I'll put money on PS1 era style low-poly art being the next 'it' style.

Try fusion studio. Is what im gonna start using for that little videogame idea i have. Its much easier than other programs, its even easier than gamemaker.

so basically all you need is the right friends at a company and be an idea guy to make it to the top?

Would kind of suck if the captain didn't know coal could run out though.

You should look at the Blueprint system that Unreal 4 utilizes. It was actually designed with the idea of giving the art staff something they could use to create code without having to code. I have minimal coding experience (again, I'm a corporate manager by trade, I mostly drink coffee and write boring reports) and I picked it up over the course of a couple saturdays.

As for money not being a motivator, I get you, with art it has to be something you are actually passionate about and interested in doing, especially with character art (landscapes are a little more impersonal).

I think I have tried that too, no dice. It might just be lack of interest in figuring out the logic. I'm a visual person and the kind of problem solving you do when coding doesn't make my gears turn.

I'm also not really that good at coming up with original gameplay concepts, rather the visuals and world building, which should come after.

I've sworn to myself not to get into 3D until I have finished at least one 2D game.

You're right on the money though, I'm big on character art.

UE4 finally has some 2D tutorials and basic instruction up for doing stuff like platformers. It's pretty recent, I read through some of it as the game I'm working on is essentially 2D in nature though using 3D models so as to allow a degree of physics.

Not to offend you guys, but as a 20 year old, I can't imagine my 30 year old self cuckposting on this board tbh.

don't worry, you'll know that feel soon enough yourself :)

Nigger I addressed that. That's really hard to fix aside from cementing your position via handing out paychecks.

You can try some kind of retarded setup where everyone has their dream game in a box of to-dos, but then everyone wants THEIR thing to go first, especially since the very real risk of "well we did a game but then half of the people burnt out and the guy who's idea we did first dropped out too" exists.

Who do you think all the fags who moan endlessly about immaturity and how things aren't as good as they remember imageboards being are?

You think we're joking when we say "you're here forever?"

So where are you going to cuckpost when you are 30+? I mean the need to cuckpost is an itch you'll just have to scratch.

20 somethings who were on cuckchan when they were underage cunts.

That was 4chan.

I believe in 10 years, interracial cuckoldry will be more popular than it is now that it becomes socially accepted. Soon I will be able to freely cuckpost in public.

And look where 'leaving' it led us.

I'm seriously considering just using game maker or a similar software instead of trying to do it in some framework that requires actual programming skills, but I'm afraid that if I go this way my skills won't be transferable when it comes to creating something else.

What do, Holla Forums?

Captain can know basics without knowing details. A director doesn't need to be a programmer, most famous directors right now barely come from a tech background. Kojima, Miyazaki, Levine, Kamiya all of those come from an artistic background and dont even know how to code.

std::cout

Well, game maker coding is pretty simple and the structure resembles C# and Java. You can train yourself to make more complex codes with Game Maker.

It must have been hard to post that then.

t. Holla Forums

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think I'll eventually go this route, maybe I should just create something that works instead of worrying about the method used.

I can also recommend reading other people's code and learning about algorithms, since a) many of the problems you encounter are already solved, b) it puts you into into a mindset you'll benefit from. The more you delve deep into this shit the easier it is to learn new things.

The poeple who make games don't have the time to play, what a paradox.

>Why is it that all of your examples are

This so fucking much. I hate going to r/gameideas to steal some simple ideas just to have every thread be "GTA V + Skyrim" or "GTA V but as a sandbox".

As an artist who can't code very well myself, I was hype when I heard about that. Then I looked into it more closely and it's sorta like the game design difference between sculpting a figure out of clay and making it out of legos. It'll cover the basics, and it does what it can do a heck of a lot easier, but it probably won't make exactly what you need. Not unless your original goal was a person made of legos or a super generic game.

In other words, it looked like Blueprint would still ultimately require the exact sort of complex in-depth coding that's what I can't competently do in the first place.

The one solution that reliably keeps teams together. "Why should you do A for me when you want to do B? Because money is why." People with their own dreams who can't do art are where I get my money, so I just gotta get enough to pay a coder to make mine happen. Difficult no doubt, but less unlikely than finding people who'll do it for free.

What is unique about ripping of HP Lovecraft's story, coupled in with some horrible game-mechanics and cover up these weaknesses with decent graphics and overpowered enemies.

I say it was rather genius to mask the faults of the gameplay by making the enemies really hard to beat. Literally created a cult following who actually believes beating this game is an achievement and that makes the game something unique or even brilliant.

It's not.

Ha, ha, I wouldn't know anything about that…

He's an idea guy, though. You don't need to be of a certain age for that, you don't need to know shit about vidya for that. You just need to sit around near people who actually do the work and occasionally say "what if…" or "wouldn't it be cool if…"

That's it.

dont try to say the truth about soulsfags, you'll just get idiotic butthurt replies like

fixed that for you, buddy

literally everything ever made is derivative
what's your point

Yeah but he did a fucking good job, and you can see that not everybody can do it as DaS2 was really badly made.

furthermore, in addition to , you also identified bloodborne in the exact opposite way it's seen by the majority of people
why don't you go ahead and tell us why the gameplay is so bad
let me guess, it's because you don't like it

Every Dark Souls is a 6/10, none of them are better or worse than that at least until 3 stops shitting the bed.
Stop being a memer.

The enemies aren't even hard to beat, they just do massive damage to make the game seem """fair""".

tell us more about how you can't see fire, then put on fire resist

Enemies doing massive damage is how most games should be, though.

Great way to say you didn't play any of them

The only meme worse than "Dark Souls is hard" is "Dark Souls isn't good"

Because I tried programming and sucked absolute shit at it despite trying my best, and i can't into anything art.

can we put this shitty autistic meme to rest already?

random shitty descriptions on items don't make a story, neither do 5 seconds end cutscenes

Fuck that shit, in morrowind you can just enchant your strength to over 300 and beat up literally everything in the game, even god vivec.

When you can save anywhere or not losing experience poitns, yeah

No, if I meant that then I would have said it.
You simpering pussy.

shall i explain AGAIN how all three games in the series have unique incredible strengths and also crippling weaknesses? okay here goes
dark souls 1 has the best first half and the second worst half, also the worst online and covenants all around, but the most memorable setting and characters(we'll see how that goes with 3 but seeing as that whole game is just "HEY REMEMBER THIS THING FROM SOULS?" I doubt it), and you know, the second half of that game is the more important half, and yet there's no hype to it whatsoever and by the time you get to Gwyn you're mad that you've been fighting copypasta'd enemies for like four fucking dungeons now, and here comes the last boss and you just parry him to death
2 has the best PvP, and whether you like it or not that's a huge deal to a big chunk of the player base AND From, and the most fun exploration with how you interacted with things and got new places. The level design isn't anything to write home about and many bosses and NPCs are forgettable, but it has the most fun weapons and play styles, and the best NG+ cycling(again, this may not be a perfect feature, but at least it's fucking SOMETHING unlike the other two games), and everything actually fucking works. It had issues like the hitboxes, they were patched. Anyone telling you this didn't happen is lying.
3 is pretty fucking forgettable. Some of the levels are good. Most of them are bland as hell. Same with the NPCs. Same with the bosses. A lot of shit in 3 as of the time I'm writing this is hilariously unbalanced, like spell damage scaling or how twin weapons do less damage than sword and board, a lot of shit just doesn't fucking work, like poise and darkmoons AGAIN(hey they worked in 2, but then everything worked in 2)

They're all 6/10s, the series is cursed.
Source: Over a thousand and a half hours playing this series that got cucked by Namco.

And yet agdg's attitude seems to be learn to code or die, artists. Your talent set has no place here.

Like it or not, it turned out to be a thing enough people wanted and he gave it to them first or at the right time. Often time, that's what success boils down to.

I actually wish it got more in my face. What's there is cool and all, but most lore is just vague stuff you only get from item descriptions. Whether it was showing or telling, I would have preferred more straight-forward "this is exactly what happened" facts about the plot and world. If you're gonna tell me a story, tell me the whole story.

3 doesn't have replayability, NG+ cycling is nothing and there's only one good play style, dex build.

Nintendo used to be a trading card company, and Miyamoto was a janitor.
You don't need to be a gamer or a wizard to make games, you need to know what the concept of "fun" is.

Learn to code if you want the game to be made the way you want it to, you mean.

Where do I even do after learning to program? What's the very basic thing that I even need to know in programming before giving making a small video game a shot?

5 star post, user.

Game Maker is basically just C, just never NEVER use the "click and create" tools, hell someone made a C64 emulator using it. Also, if its your first time making a game reinventing the wheel and making your own engine is a pretty stupid idea that will waste a lot of your time. To put it in terms, an engine is basically something that handles very VERY low level stuff like rendering, sound processing, and vector calculations.

If 3 gets fixed it'll break the mold. But it also needs more fixing than the other two ever did.

I have finished some extremely difficult games that needs tight precision like Driver: You are The Wheelman, but nothing makes my head boil hotter than playing Souls.

This game is a poorly designed shit.

Don't know what you're expecting. Fromsoftware was always niche low budget fun, only difference being NEXT GEN GRAPHICS and somehow they managed to hit the mainstream from namco's marketing.

"6/10" is a good thing when it drives casuals away.

Perhaps you shouldn't have died in an unreachable place, my friend.

I'd just like to see two new routes opened up: a path between Cathedral of the Deep and Profaned Capital, and a path between Untended Graves and Irithyll that circumvents the barrier/doll mechanic.

Having two alternative high-difficulty paths through the game would make it much less linear.

Did DaS not have homeward bones? It's been years since I've played it, so I forget.

Perhaps I shouldn't die at all in such a buggy and half assed designed game.

Sometimes you're just out of it.

It's just souls, man. Not like you lost anything important.

i expected poise to work and for them not to shit the bed when they were doing infusions and scaling
i expected all the covenants to do something, and work, and not have two covenants that are literally exactly the same fucking thing
i expect to not be teleported by an old woman i killed at the beginning of the game
i expect NG+ to do something like it did in fucking Demon's, the very first god damn one

i want the grand archives to be opened without killing the other 3 lords

I know from repeated personal experience that when programmers want artists to fill in their skill gap, they always want exactly the art they envisioned. Which is totally fine, but it goes both ways. It's as reasonable for artists to need coders to complete their plans as coders to need artists to complete theirs, and I don't believe either come up with inherently better ideas.

I lost 15 hours of my life.

maybe you should go play kingdom hearts bud

M80 you can finish the game in 15 hours, what were you doing?

No you didn't. You as a player still have all the experience you got from fighting enemies.
Unless you just forgot it all or something.

agdg are hipsters user

No, I've been playing Souls for around a week, so yeah it's about 15 hours wasted on a game about neurosis inducing deaths over and over again.

use a greatshield

You deserved to lose them.

This

Do you have severe anxiety issues or something? Take your Xanax before you play or something, yeesh.

No, I just got back from grinding in the library.

And it was actually around 60k btw, not 120 because I have leveled up before it.

You accumulated but never spent any souls for 15 hours of gameplay? Seriously? I was kinda with you before, I hate losing my souls too, and ESPECIALLY Humanity, but I don't think I ever got close to holding on to loose souls nearly that long.

Which is why losing Humanity hurt more, you can never lock that in, as it were.

Eventually, an additional 15 hours of practice might not mean much. Once you have essential character control down, getting better is more about learning where things are and the exact movement patterns of enemies than overall practice. Which is why fighting your way back to the boss tends to be annoying in ALL games, you don't need more practice on the cannon fodder on the way there, but the boss. Re-fighting the enemies in between is just wasting your time.

agdg has that stupid programmer culture shit user, thats why they are elitist but also underachievers.

You shouldn't actually be grinding, you know.

nigga use panda3D if you're making anything beyond a basic 2d game

>losing even less souls than you originally claimed

At some point, there's only really one thing left to say.

No, 15 hours is my total playtime.

Then how did you lose 15 hours of your life?
Do you just consider the whole game a waste of your time because you're bad?

so let me get this right, miyamoto had the luck of being hired as janitor at nintendo, and miyazaki had the luck of being hired by from.

its down to pure luck or actually having programming skill and talent.

Skill and talent helps, but at the end of the day you need some luck too.

You can offset luck needed with skill and talent

You mean because the game is bad. Yeah, I was searching for a recreation but all I got is stress.

Oh yeah? Then why are luck builds always the most overpowered?

Yeah, I get that feeling time and again, it's very disappointing. They don't expect programmers to master art, "programmer art" is fine, but artists better master coding. But where can one talk about making games with reasonably serious people who value other game-relevant skills in addition to down-and-dirty coding? If it knew of such a place I'd go there instead.

Yes, but the more you read the biographies of big successes, the more clear it becomes that luck is what mattered more. The exchange rate is definitely not 1:1.

Go play Putt Putt Goes to the Moon, then.

Did Yoshi's Island give you panic attacks, too?

I don't think you're old enough to post here.

How difficult is a game engine?video really like to start things from scratch.

Take credit for your own fucking work then. AA and Indie can work for this.

If crits or boosted survival chance is involved, then there's your answer.

Learn how to use SDL/SFML/Love2d/Unity/Whatever to display things on screen.

I hope you were expecting a blog post. It's because I'm agoraphobic and it's really hard to make a game yourself, there's plenty of places to reach out and find a team but they're all strangers and I can't manage a team of people I don't know, everyone I do know doesn't want to make video games and I honestly don't think I have the skill to do every part needed by myself, I don't have the money to commission others to either. It's hopeless for me. Every now and then I work towards it anyway but I get really demotivated, even if I do make any progress it's not easy for me which makes me ashamed, it's much easier for everyone else so I must be stupid, why should I work twice as hard to produce something half as good, who would even want to play it. All I can muster is excuses on an anonymous imageboard.

Learn C

oy vey 1 2 3

If that includes skilled programmers, please, tell what those places are.

I don't have any citations, over the years I've lurked a few places that seem to have people who were at least on par with me in terms of programming judging by their posts and knowledge when helping others. I don't really go to places like that anymore so I'd be hard pressed to remember specific names, it's easier for me to remember forum css styles than anything else.
Sorry user, I'm very tired and normally don't blurt things out like this.

Do you often go to game development oriented sites and make requests for programmers and then get disappointed with their lack of skill? If so it's exactly that reason I don't reach out, I don't want to be a nuisance to anyone and say I can do something when I might not be able to.

Now I think you're just full of shit. There's about 3 areas that are obvious throwbacks to the first game and that's about it. No actual enemies from DS1 are in 3, except the black/silver knights. Every single other enemy is new. Oh no! There's some weapons, items and seven covenants from the first game! What the hell FromSoft! It's almost as if this was a sequel or something!
I honestly don't understand the mentality, more so when the game itself plays so differently and the areas are completely different and generally bigger than the average size of ds1's. The only area copied from the first game was anor Londo and it had some small changes made to it.
Also what is "hype", even supposed to mean here? How do you measure this " hype"? What actual faults do you find in any of these areas that you are trying to just write off as lacking hype?

At least you played the game right? You couldn't possibly come here talking about a stream you watched like you had played yourself, parroting opinions you heard around this place like it was the truth right?

It is as simple as 'no code, no game'. No-arts can make do with placeholders.
Everyone has a dream game and you need someone to put theirs on hold to work on yours.
That is a tough sell no matter how you slice it.

Outside of the avenues you already pursued (learn coding, save up) you might find someone with a dream game close enough to yours to work out a compromise. Depends on how ambitious/flexible your idea is compared to the art you have to offer.

no, DaS1 is the best by a longshot

I enjoy 3 but at literally every turn there is a reference to Dark Souls 1, because they were too afraid not to put the epic memes in it. I dont know if you're playing another game or just blind.

Nigger that's why when you teambuild, you don't jump straight into the big shit. You get something smaller done, together, before you even touch the big box of design docs.

It helps everyone get a feel for the skill level of everyone else. If the programmer is doing shittily, you don't jump to the box after finishing "shitty adventure platformer #1" or whatever, you move on to number two to get them some more real world practice and/or cut the programmer loose. Same for the rest of the team.

Once you have your smaller games out, people will play them because hey, it's a game and it's out. It builds morale, pumping energy into the team, and then you can finally take your RNG or vote on what thing from the big box of design docs you all are gonna start on.

Basically you don't learn to code games, you learn to code in general then you work on games later by coding what you need. However if possible you should observe the source code and graphical tricks the old games used and use that as a basis for your games, because the code is optimized and simple unliked all the worthless clutter of modern games.

The hardest part of game development is it can and usually will kill the joy of playing games for many people for an indeterminate amount of time.

I tried reading source code before but I don't know how to find out where to start, so I just end up plopping into the middle where something is interacting with other things but I don't know what any of it is trying to do.

I don't feel like starting gamemaker.

First you have to be good at writing.

Maybe it's one of the reasons he likes the West so much. The souls series has a lot of Western influence. He might be a history major.

I made Pong in SmileBASIC/ Petit Computer. Am I my on my way to Just Like, Making Game?

And here we are with retards dismissing "Idea guys" which by the way is pretty much what people call a director when they're not being retarded. The idea guy I mean not that user, because there's a WORLD of difference working under someone who goes "wouldn't it be nice if…" "Make it like X meets Y but with more PIZZAZ"… "How about you make that sword go more… Swoosh ? Know what I mean ?"

And a guy doing actual director stuff, you get precise and accurate description of what it should look/feel/perform finished, complete with an estimated timeline, a complete set of the required skills to finish this part of the project with the name of who you should look for in the other department, as well as a guy who understand what you, little code monkey, actually do.

The idea guy is the egg for the director, many many bad games are plagued by idea guys, some manage to be good with one of them, all great games are the work of a director, not an idea guy.

I know there are references but nothing major, certainly not to justify the the autistic shitfit some people in here throw about.
Like I said people forget it IS a sequel to Dark Souls.

Don't oversell it, but yeah, they help a fuckload.

I worked under the two examples, I guess that the overwhelming joy of getting rid of first guy made the second one seems like the second coming.

Pretty much, but you have to understand that to be a project director, you need to have some experience with projects. How else are you going to make reasonable timelines and milestones for the team? I would never make a good project lead because guesstimation is a major weakness of mine A good indie project lead is simultaneously the glue that holds the team together, and the oil that gets the individual sections of the team working in good order.

On an imageboard, 99.9% of anyone pitching an idea will have none of said experience, and most of those either have no interest in getting said experience either or are autistic fuckers who must have their vision exactly as they imagine it (and also refuse to participate in working themselves as much as possible), so if you come with ideas you're just going to get mocked.

Hes a director. He didn't say "hey lets make an action game with Lovecraft elements, k thanks bye". He wrote down the script, he walked the team to make his vision come true he thought up how the monsters would behave and look and wrote all of their backstory.

The game would not be what it was without him. Director have the constant vision.

A director is a director, they are always there driving the vision. A simple "idea guy" is never gonna get anywhere because those aren't needed.

This, lots of this. Unfortunately AGDG has slowly morphed from "people throwing out ideas and ganging up" to "people talking about projects they're already working on" or more cynically "unity helpdesk".
The game jams could be a decent place to start, but I don't know how many people actually participate.

hello

I didn't even know printscreen captured the mouse cursor.

bachellor at social sciences reporting in

It's what you do when neither arts nor economics intrest you and you're too lazy to do a technicature

The irony was subtle, but not lost on me OP 10/10

The shitty thing about modern game development is that something like 80% of it is art and graphics related. Modelers, texture guys, animators, map designers, motion-capture guys…there's painfully little in terms of programming now. If you look at most job positions advertised by video game developers now, only about 1 in 10 is coding-related.

Another things is that the job market has changed. My dad used to constantly ask me why it was so difficult for my generation to get a job, when most of his generation could get a decent one fresh out of school. Nowadays you need like a billion certificates, transcripts and degrees to even get your resume looked at.

Well that's because dev tools are getting better and better. I'll wager that companies which make their own engines (eg, most strategy game developers) still employ a lot of programmers.

Your still going to need programmers to make the game blue prints are only good for prototyping

Because instead you make excuses on an image board?

I'm sorry but I don't know what you're saying, I was asking that user if they put out request and often get disappointed by the people who respond, as in "is such a thing common?".

Well, no. If you're using an existing engine with its own tools, eg UE4, you don't need a whole lot of programming.

What the fuck is wrong with you ledditor?

Meanwhile

Miyamoto was an employee of a company trying to break into videogames after the crash. None of those requirements apply to anyone posting here.
Not to mention, your own quote includes the fact that Miyamoto's idea was rejected. See my earlier post

1-Miyamoto was one of the fouders of the company, so of course he didn't need to be a codemonkey(although he most likely coded a fair bit back in the days, pretty much everyone in Nintendo did their part)
2-Coders were still needed to make the game work.

3- he went a lot further than just shitting out half baked ideas.

are you fucking retarded?

Again, are you fucking retarded?

You also forgot that even Yokoi idea to solve the problem was just as bad, and he's the top engineer at Nintendo. It was Miyamoto that came up with a solution.

Because if I am the one dictating what will or not be in the game, it grows into a fucking monstrosity that can't be finished in a single life.

I have finished plenty of games, but none of them I was the one dictating what goes and what does not

Kinda in the same boat as you, I don't bother programmers in the first place because I know some and they all are busy people with their own stuff going on. So I assume this goes for most any coders and the odds of finding ones who are talented and want to work on somebody else's idea is low. I mean, I'm not volunteering to do free art for random programmers either, fair's fair and all. I wouldn't do that unless I found one who's making a project that coincidentally is really close to what I want to do already, and would prefer the same art direction I want to create. Which would be great, but unreasonable.

But, if by some crazy miracle there is some site dedicated to programmers just looking for anybody with art skills and ideas for them to code, that sure would be great. Like, dream come true material.

Anyway, I figure the best option is to use my art skills to make mock-up screenshots and fake gameplay and maybe there'll be a programmer who thinks it looks cool and wants to make the actual code to make it real.

To be fair, you can't blame people for not being psyched to work hard on other people's ideas for free. I can see why it's only people on their own getting things done, of course you're into your own idea. A second person with close enough goals that you're working together instead of against each other? Much harder to find.

I just wish they weren't so focused on discussing coding only. Talking about ideas, the art end of things, the difficulties of building teams, that should be relevant too, because it's all part of amateur game design work. Otherwise, at least change the name to "amateur game coding general" and call it what it is.

Making a game is easy, the issue is making everything else presentable.
Or finding artists who can supply for you.
Dev textures and models are fuggly, and trying to convince an artist to work with a really tiny polycount is nightmarish.

Seems like people's ideas of what low polycounts are is all over the place, so be more specific. I'm a happy camper as long as we're talking at least 2,000 triangles. I can and have gone much lower, but I don't like to. I don't think a typical character can look truly good at lower counts, and it sucks the fun out of art when I don't like what I'm making.

Well, he did work in a team and was the director. Not trying to discredit his work but I think that a lot of people would have a good chance at making games as directors when they have a team of programmers, artists and composers to back them up. I like those mangaka stories the most, they inspire the shit out of me.

They sleep for 2 hours and get in the hospital and still draw just so they create something good by themselves.

Itt:assblasted programmers who are slowly realizing they are only code monkeys.

I'm not. But it's easier to hash something out when you're both in the idea phase. If one dude has locked on to an idea, even if he hasn't written a single line of code yet, he's going to be harder to sway.

You could always try posting a thread for that on /agdg/. It's not the most active place, but it's a start.

Protip: All major manga that have a publisher were made by a group of peoples

Holy shit are you me?

I mostly lurk.

Why would you say that? Everyone knows mangakas usually work on the story, storyboard and then draw and ink the art themselves. And they go and speak with the editor for feedback then repeat before release.

If they do have help it's mostly the grunt work such as additional members for inking.

yep, thats all you do

and thats why 90% of all ue shooters look and feel the same

actually he was just an idea guy and his team did all the work. plus bb has no backstory.

Jokes on you user, there's actually a 60 year old man printing out threads and selling them as "art"

I wish I can blow the dust off my GameMaker Pro and get to work.
I don't have the discipline. I've been trying to get in the habit of working on my art every morning before I do something else but damn, it's hard.

The mangaka draw sketches as best and the rest was done by his team and its more than just inking. You think the characters and background was done by the same peoples?

Without an idea, there nothing for the team to code

Most of you don't even have a job, he was working at a respectable world-wide known company for years before and at 29, you are still young, maybe not the prime physically, but probably your prime mentally.

Jesus christ, user, are you me, minus the artistic talent? I've been practicing my music skills, hoping maybe I could subsist off of making vidya music videos on Jewtube while trying to pursue a degree in something I like that actually hires people.

I have, and id like to continue but programmers are giant crybabies who demand more money than god makes in a year to get anything done.

Programmers lack vision, so they dont take risks, because of that there are plenty of talented creators who cant get their work done or end up working for EA. I think the real question to Holla Forums is, Why are programmers so scared to fail?

I'm shit at math too, yet programming is something that I learned fucking fast and steady. It's how you learn it user, that an important factor.

to be good at math*

Damn.

please understand.

He may mean it in a dyscalculia way, for people with dyscalculia programming, musical notation, even learning other languages, to an extent, anything that involves rigidity of rules, programming is incredibly difficult.

I know that I cant get a few lines into programming before i start feeling claustrophobic, If programming was like writing a book, then it would come naturally, but programming instead is like writing a manual for complex machinery in another language using a 4th grade reading level and being barred from using half the words you normally would.

Once I have mock-ups to show, I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm working on stuff for other people as usual, gotta pay the bills. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought /agdg/ was the right place for that otherwise. Seems pretty… programmers only.

This right here. I got through all of everything else in college fine except for two things: Programming and chemistry. Once programming classes got past "declare a variable" level simple, I literally got dizzy trying to work it all out. It felt like looking down the edge of a cliff, seriously. I could map the basic concepts and plans out in my head, but the actual, real code, just wasn't happening.

On the up side though, in actual situations where I had a programmer to work with, I've found that I was able to come up with programming solutions they couldn't, but only at a broad, vague level, if that makes any sense. I couldn't code the specifics necessary to save my life, but once I gave them the gist of it, they finally had a plan they could code. I had the idea but couldn't implement it, they had the implementation skills but not the idea, together we prevailed.

Yes I think the characters and background is done by the same "peoples". As well as the sketches. Fixing art and inking is probably done by other "peoples". It's the life of a mangaka that comes from all the interviews, what do you have to prove that a manga artist doesn't do his own story and art usually?

you guys should start programming in python, it's got like every other programming paradigm rolled into one.

forgot to mention, learn python to get into programming, not to make games, making games with python just isn't worth it.

You still have a lot of life ahead of you man, that's better than what some of us have.

How old are you? I doubt anyone over 28 or 30 browses chans anymore

You won't if you aren't a supreme optimist. The simple truth is that most people can't do it because they can't see themselves as successful. Effectively killing their dreams in the crib.
I haven't seen any good idea guys around.
The reason people on /agdg/ are so hostile to the notion of not making the game yourself is that they've seen many a shit team crash and burn because there were people who didn't do anything and the project fell apart.
See I think if you wanted to be in that position you'd have to prove you have a detailed plan and provide for the project in other ways(testing, making test assets, coordinating people, ect.)
A programmer who's made a complete game carries alot of clout because that's a monumental effort and it speaks for itself.
Idea guys though? I rarely see anyone with actual management skills try to get a team together. It's sad because working with a good team can make work more enjoyable and allows you greater focus.

sounds like ass, I'll stick to demons souls

So basically as a game director I assume he did all the concept art for every monster and location, all the weapon and item descriptions, all the story and characters and level design?

I have this problem with everything I do except music, but I feel like that's because I'm at the point where improving boils down to grinding out metronome practice for an hour, then learning some nasty solos. With something like programming, painting or even just my calculus classes, I would understand concepts as they were presented to me but never took the initiative to go through the necessary motions for retention. I've got sickass ideas for games, and even realistic goals for them, but I have chronic issues that have so far kept me from realizing those goals.
So that's why I haven't made a game, I guess.
/blogpost

What I'm trying to say is you need a group of peoples to make a high quality product. And yes, manga artist dont draw everything themself, They ususally skimp the background details and leave it to the background artist. Yes, manga artist create their own story and character but the end product was done by multiple individual to meet the standard quality of a published manga. This of course doesn't apply to manga that have simplistic art style but for manga like Gantz and One Punch Man (published version) you need more than 1 person to do it.

Nigger are you kidding? There are wizards on this very forum. You're talking to one.

Believe me, I get that. I've been exactly there once on a project. One guy had ideas and some minimal 3D CG talent, we gave him some lesser art tasks and had him help with planning and management. He ended up doing very little of anything, even when he did do stuff he'd take way too long and hold up the whole pipeline. And even then, what he did do was not done very well before he just mostly vanished. Aside from the art that was my job all along, I ended up not just doing the stuff he never finished, but redoing what he had done, and also officially kicking him off the team. I didn't enjoy it, but nobody else would do it and he was dragging everything down. Once we got rid of him, things went way smoother, it was easier to do his part myself than deal with such an unreliable and not very good teammate. The rest were fine, guess we were lucky to only have one dead weight out of the group.

So I get being hostile to straight-up idea guys, I've seen that problem happen. I know how much damage an ostensibly well-meaning person without any real skills can do. My problem with the /agdg/ gang is that they seem to treat everyone but coders as idea guys. Doesn't apparently matter if you can do all the art, it's learn to code or find a coder to swear fealty to. But art's an important part of making a game too, and I believe an artist can have good ideas too. Especially if you're an artists that's arted across multiple projects already. Even if it doesn't involve straight coding, the art end of things can still get pretty technical and design-oriented. I've spent lots of time hashing out design hurdles with programmers, I understand the design process and the difference between an idea that seems simple on paper but is infinitely harder to actually implement.

I have nothing against a hard-working programmer programming their idea and wanting an artist to add the visuals, but a hard-working artist wanting a programmer to code their idea should be just as valid. Any game-related skill and hard work should be all it takes to be accepted there.

Only coder is essential to make game. It might play like shit, look like shit and sound like shit, but you will have game.

Jokes on you I make games. Startup development just happens to be tricky business, so you just gotta find office for cheap.

HAHA Fuck you. People are surprised if you are successful at an age of 25. Unless you live in some shithole.

I guess those programmers you talk about aren't "gamers".
I have worked with many inspired people for free.

The joy of playing them may or may not die, but the joy of making them replaces it. Of course, I'm kinda just fucking around with this project.

I'll consider that advise. I always try to make things as efficient as I can, but I'm admittedly not that great at the task, as I am still learning. Regular conversations with demo-sceners and people in the IT field really helps since they know their shit.

I didn't know it was the programmer that oversee the whole project :^)

/agdg/ Programmer:

/agdg/ Artist:

Art makes a good game great. Art is not a basis for the game. I have yet to meet a single ideaguy who could present me with a written GDD that contains more than a single page of vague like-X-but-with-Y descriptions and maybe a story idea. The GDD I work with in a relatively small team project has 46 pages and still misses a bunch of details.

I'm a programmer who doesn't exactly have a lot of ideas himself. If anything I'd love for there to be artists with good game design skills online. There aren't. Feel free to prove me wrong, I'd be happy.

You're probably thinking of Gunpei Yokoi.

To be fair, it's not practical to make ALL the art for a game before any coding is done no matter how intricate your plan is. The art has to conform to the game's ultimate limitations and capabilities, and you can't be sure of those ahead of time. You can design characters and do background concepts and all that, but actual in-game content can't come before the game. Well, I guess it could, but odds are you'll end up having to change or completely redo a lot of it.

On a similar note, even if it's non art-related stuff, you can't write a set in stone detailed GDD and assume that's what'll exactly happen for sure whether you're a programmer or artist. Even people who've made the best games ever end up throwing away plans before all is said and done, nobody can predict things that well. I'm not saying you don't need a plan, but you can only get so specific right upfront. Otherwise it's like precisely planning your exact route through completely unexplored terrain. Have you ever seen a game that ended up doing PRECISELY what was planned at the beginning? I haven't. And I know I'm not the only person who's argued against starting with ultra-precise GDDs.

Meanwhile, a dude that when to art school

Making games in a nutshell.

That was the closest I was to being good with game making. I even had fun battle system ideas and whatnot. Fucking hell. I've tried learning actual languages such as c#(unrelated i know), but it just didn't stick with me since i'm terrible at self teaching. It's a damn shame too since programming is easily the type of job that compliments the stay at home person.

forgot to get rid of flag

EasyRPG Editor seems like something you'd be interested in. It's a FOSS remake of RM 2k(3) with additional bells and whistles.
But you'll have to wait till it gets to a usable state. Unless you feel like learning C++ and finishing it yourself.

easy-rpg.org/editor/

holy shit

A lot of things.

w-when was this last updated?

AAA? Cronyism, and nepotism.

Indie? Make game, become irrelevant, unless you use Cronyism and nepotism to get noticed. Also suck cock.

Last commit for the Qt build was 6 days ago.
In the meantime you test the Player (RPG_RT replacement). It's been getting a lot more love that the editor and can already play a good chunk of games. Just use the continuous build instead of the "stable" one (the last release was kinda buggy).
There are even a builds for Android and 3DS in case you feel like playing some Yume Nikki on the go.

easy-rpg.org/player/downloads/

Underrated post.

What are even trash Japs so good at technology?
Obviously he was doing shit on the side, but they fuck would Oracle hire someone with no tech accreditation.

Probably why Java was so shit

Aspiring to be a successful game dev is sort of like aspiring to be a rock star. The chances of it actually happening are very slim, and all the talent in the world won't guarantee of success.

Just get a job in STEM so you can afford all the vidya you want. Game dev on the side as a hobby, but if you try to make a career out of it you will probably get discouraged and quit and/or lose a lot of money

It's pretty fucking hard when life keeps shoveling random ass shit on my plate nonstop.

Do you have any interest in making stuff for a small futuristic FPS?
If so, can you make synth-y action tracks?