Platformer Discussion

What did you guys think of this game? I just started playing it and I feel like it's just gonna be a button masher. Something about the characters and the environments just aren't doing it for me. Should I play Guacamelee instead? What are some good platformers that were made within the last 10 years?

I really liked Ori and the Blind Forest, also Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends come to mind. The new Rayman games are just great and you should really check them out if you like platformers. I'm just trying to survive withdrawal ;_;

play Guacamelee
Fap to Fidget

I want to fug fidget :3

furfag game
combat is ok
skip it
play Guacamelee

It's good, the weakpoint of the game is character art however.

Guacamelee is ok, I don't know why people here suggest it so heavily when it is the cream of memes in games. Oh, people would claim Undertale has memes or is a meme game, but that just means they clearly didn't play Guacamelee.

it was an ok game. decent combat with some good combos but it was really fucking easy. just play Guacamelee, that game actually has challenge

Rayman Legends is good, but it's highly automated (hold R2+Left to win) and kind of mind-numbing for long play sessions. The princesses are cute though.

I don't understand how Dust managed to make all the side characters look generic and samey when that's the ONE THING furry art is good for.

Anyway OP is absolutely right about button mash/spam combat. There is absolutely no skill necessary to it.

Anyone else find that getting the achievements for this game was extremely easy?

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse if you have any intention of playing all three, play this last. It is very hard to go back to Risky's Revenge after this
Shovel Knight
Freedom Planet personal favorite
Gunman Clive
Bionic Commando ReArmed
Downwell
'Splosion Man
Contra 4
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Kirby's Epic Yarn 10/10 cozy co-op
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Tropical Freeze

I have high hopes for Freedom Planet 2 and am cautiously optimistic for 1/2 Genie Hero. Also I didn't back Mighty No. 9

This is reddit 3.0. Reddit fucking loves Quacamelee and it's maymay bullshit.

It's OK if you can get past the furshit. It's a decent 2D quasi-brawler. I had my fun with it.

It's ok gameplay with some of the most cringe dialog and plot ever. Also the dev is a faggot.

Play it if you want to get a better understanding of what 1 single dev with a lot of time can do. But pirate it because of the previous paragraph. It's nothing special.

It also has fun gameplay so I don't give a fuck if reddit likes it. Even with the memes in the background art. Stacking combos and bouncing enemies off walks while keeping the variety high was fun. Definitely worth a pirate

deviantart tier story and graphics, mash-to-win gameplay, and faggots jacking off over the one-dimensional characters

what's to like

The first play through and never again.

The dev isn't a faggot, he's a family man that put a lot of effort into something and got successful of it, finally.

But he definitely has some degree of the assburgers.

I played it, It was okay. the humor reminded me of cute cartoons I watched in my childhood.

I would play it again if I was really itching for a platformer but otherwise nah, so it sounds like its for you.

also not a lot of replay value

Dustforce and Stealth Bastard Deluxe come to mind for speed runners and just general fun

I've heard N++ is good, based on the original freeware N. N++ came out on PS4 first, but I think it's on PC now.
Haven't played it, but I still love the old version. I still have a copy of v1.4 on my flash drive from when I played it on the high school computers during class.

Dust is a decent game. Don't listen to the faggots who call everything with talking animals "furry". The story is dumb and the combat feels pretty loose, but overall it's still an enjoyable game. What I like is that it gets you started quickly instead of having you walk through town talking to random people. I got bored of Guacamelee for that reason before the game even properly began.

I have absolutely no problem with how the characters in Dust are all furries. The only problem is how bad they looked. Well-drawn furries are fine, but they are NOT well-drawn. Which even then wouldn't be such a problem if not for cut scenes and character dialog putting up huge character illustrations to make sure you have to take in how bad they look in all their anti-glory. It's all got a specifically early Internet furry vibe that I loathe.

One guy? There's more than one name in the credits. Even if you filter out the publisher management stuff, still seems like there's at least three names with serious game duties.

The majority of the work and effort to almost everything was him. At least I'm told that's the case from everybody that reviewed it. I could be wrong but I don't feel like doing more research on the game.

Some of my favorites

Do you guys prefer more action heavy platformers or ones about puzzles?

I have a game in my backlog called Valdis Story: Abyssal City, I've only played it a little bit to test it out and it seems pretty sweet, it came highly recommended from a similar thread here on Holla Forums a while back. Maybe you should try it.

I'd play the shit out of a Rayman game of nothing but musical stages.

Guacamelee can go fuck itself because despite being an indie dev they pulled the typical
bullshit that AAA devs love to do, and for that they are on my eternal boycott list

My wish list for platformer games:
Full on mobility while attacking.Just like when you run & gun, change it to run & slash.
Multiple types of jumps. low. medium, high jump, long jump, damage knockback trick.

Interactive player actions(mostly for third person view platformer adventures): Roll, slide, duck running, angle jump, pin-point platform accuracy, climbing, hiding, stealth mode, crouching, crawling on you chest, squeezing through crevices, terrain climbing, tree climbing, terrain & object manipulation.

Casual detected.

Yeah, I got 27 out of 30 achievements on my first play through. I could have gotten 28 but I had trouble with the Blue Bomber achievement.

Get out.

Well apparently he's a fan of An American Tail and Fivel Goes West.

I think the problem is the big animu eyes. Dust's design looks fine until he takes off his hat.