Is My Neighbor Totoro an example of pure KidsKino?

Is My Neighbor Totoro an example of pure KidsKino?

Current children’s cinema is composed predominately of flashy adventure-comedies (to name some recent hits: The Lego Batman Movie, Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, Zootopia). Structurally and tonally, they feel almost exactly like blockbusters made for adults, minus any potentially offensive content. They aren’t so much made for children as they’re made to be not not for children. Perhaps this is why the genre is generally called “Family,’ rather than “Children’s.” The films are designed to be pleasant enough to a broad, age-diverse audience, but they’re not necessarily made specifically for young hearts and brains.

Therefore is My Neighbor Totoro a genuine children’s film, perfectly attuned to child psychology?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt5311514/awards>2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bmp

I guess so. Seems more like a glimpse into the life of a little girl using her imagination to cope with her dad being gone working long hours.

Would a kid even watch it though? Its kinda slow at parts.

I skipped through it recently as I watched it for the first time and found it really boring.

I love Totoro, and this is how I see the film. To me it's the story of a little girl using her imagination to have fun while her dad is away. A time before video games and handheld electronics where children actually had to play outside.

I agree that it is slow at parts, but a movie doesn't have to be nonstop action or whatever. I enjoy the slow parts because it helps break things up.

I'm finding as I get older I enjoy the film more because it makes me miss the days when I was young and had a wild imagination. Sadly my mind is full and too busy with work shit instead of random stuff.

No. It's an adult movie.

This guy has the right idea. Its also really comfy.

Yeah, unless you try to watch it with your wife's autistic niglet son kids like it.

I really want the anti anime fag to leave

I've watched it twice and I thought it was a little boring.

There is a popular notion that children are easily bored, and I think a horror of boredom has probably driven children’s entertainment further into the realm of the whiz-bang. Weary parents, longing for a moment of peace, want to trust that a movie will be able to fully occupy their children for 90 minutes. And if the goal is merely to stop the motion and chatter for a moment, high-stimulus distraction is a powerful tool. Many children’s films and shows operate on this principle—fast-paced, loud, and colorful, they’re a like a benign thrill ride you can strap into and let go.

But I think some of the common thinking about children’s boredom and attention is inaccurate. Children are bored standing in line at the bank or the post office, certainly—they have no banking of their own to do, no mail of their own to send. But if you were to put a child and an adult in an empty room full of scattered objects, I suspect the adult would grow bored much faster. For children—who lack jobs and smartphones and complex worries about relationships—the days are long. They therefore have to develop ways to be interested in the fact of being alive, for its own sake. Children can stay at parks and playgrounds for hours, inventing games and stories for themselves, finding new challenges for their bodies. They’ll play with rocks and sticks, and they’re happy to play the same games over and over again. Most children have a natural skill for what adults call “mindfulness”—the kind of unselfconscious attention to the present moment that most adults can only achieve by means of exercise or meditation.

To be honsest, it's just nice.

Bump

I remember at times where I had the most enjoyment from inventing my own fun, my mom would always ask "Are you bored?"

grow up & stop watching cartoons kiddo, go get laid instead

Chinks are genetically incapable of understanding human thoughts or senses. Ant people are There for incapable of producing true Kino.

Now take your faggot cuckime shit back to reddipol.

LMAO, tell that to all the mexicans truffp gassed

All me tbh

M8, it's literally about 90 minutes long. It's almost like you have ADHD.

what did they mean by this?

what did they mean by this?

Half of that greentext is wrong. You were probably taught that all stories have to be an arc with a single defined main character, and stupidly enough you believed it.

Anime is for creeps TBQH fam. Honestly this whole forum is a really shitty place, where all these channer assholes harass people like CWC even though their exactly the same. I laugh at people online due to my context and perspective rather than trolling hapless victims. Peace out fam.

watching weebs get flustered on boards where they aren't the majority or on the vol team is always entertaining

lol

Don't worry, the guy who made the film thinks anime sucks too. He's /ourguy/. He also hates weeb pedos more than anyone else because his movie is associated with that garbage just because it's an animated film.

Goon please.

Is this crybaby cuck a weeb?

yah bro i love bashing nerds online to ROFL

Not really proving him wrong tbh.

Yeah, probably - I bet you there are some asshurt weebs out there trying to false flag, start drama & just shit up boards with off-topic shit & spam. It's what they do.

The weeb is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a weeb and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

If that's the case, emmafag must be a weeb even though he hates anime. Same with daisyfag even though he doesn't post anime.

You shut your whore mouth about Emma.

Shut your whore mouth.

>muh off-topic drama/spam/etc is bad unless it's off-topic drama/spam/etc I personally like

*I

you called?

Posting Emma is drama or spam. It's a service to the board.

Literally who? Am I supposed to know this skank?

*isn't

the Goddess of WWE

also, extremely rude

She looks like a garden variety instagram skank.

You mean this guy?

can a garden variety instagram skank do this?

No, the other guy who made the exact same post as in the image. Were you dropped on the head as a child?

rekt

Join the church of Emma the Saivor today or burn in maisie hellfire.

Isn't this the one with the bathing scene that triggers amerilards?

The fact that you think only one person is telling you to fuck off is amazing. Your narcissism. Nobody likes weebs.

t. the one angry goon

I saw Zootopia and it was thinly veiled Judaic cancer.

It is just the one person though, you should know that better than anyone.

actually I shit on weebs pretty often too ever since that extremely autistic anime snob kept sperging out

hey, if it was just one person, I wouldnt go into an anime thread full of anons telling weebs to fuck off, I would be the one doing it all.
that isn't how this is working though.
seems like Holla Forums is where people go to get away from nu/pol/ and Holla Forums, both boards that love this weebshit.

Thanks for ruining trucking thread you artists.

*Fucking
*Autists

i do think of shitposting as an art tbh

He hasn't been here in months though. I think he quit for good.

makes you think

Jej

Why would it have an explanation like that? It's not Fight Club, and Ghibli made several movies that combine fantasy with everyday life.

Ponyo>Totoro

Whisper of the Heart is better than both.

Ponyo is only good because of how fun the animation is, that's enough to carry it, but deer ghrist what a waste it is

more like retardkino

So… it's a film about nothing?

No, I have never seen a film before where which every element of it is designed too convey a single emotion. That being happiness. Ponyo is deeply emotionally pure.

I just changed my vector and became this. Once people stop responding to that I will come up with something new.

I will find a way to make this board worse with every shitpost until it dies or the current owner/mods quit/are removed and we can have properly structured discussions about film and television.

Only redditors unironically want to discuss movies/tv.

Then maybe Holla Forums needs some more Redditors.

Or you can go to reddit.

Stay mad, goon. Anime is here forever.

No I don't think I will. You cucks are the ones that wanted no rules nostop shitposting so you will get it.

You could at least be honest and admit that you just want anime gone because it triggers you. It isn't mutually exclusive with "properly structured discussions about film and television."

I don't mind that. It's
that I'm against.

Anime goes on /a/.

We're not on 4chan, where this argument would make some small measure of sense.

top kek

There are several anime films that have been critically acclaimed and/or influential (outside of animation circles). Totoro won Kinema Junpo's film of the year award in 1989.

Satoshi Kon in general had some influence on Nolan

None of them are recent. Anime is dead.

In This Corner of the World was also Kinema Junpo's film of the year, and it came out last year. Your Name came out last year too (best screenplay, nominated for best direction). Whether or not anime is dead is not measured by the amount of critical acclaim that films get.

Cuckime isn't art, will never be art, and is already dead. You are somehow seeing the miscarried fetus of Japanese animation zombified and rolling around in the rotted off pieces of its own body.

cuckime has zero aetistic merit and will never develop any. chinks are soulless ant people and produce nothing of value.

It isn't art or has no aesthetic merit or value then it means art and aesthetic merit and value do not exist, and it's hardly dead when there are hundreds of shows coming out every year, profits keep climbing up, and an anime film became Japan's fourth highest grossing of all time last year.

When you have to attack anime by inventing factually false statements the problem is clearly not with anime, but with you.

Lol

*if it isn't

What? It did come out last year, and it did win best screenplay and a best direction nomination.

imdb.com/title/tt5311514/awards>2

It's comforting in a way to know that if ever comes a day when all bait has withered on the vine that retards will still grasp the humble fuck anime with both hands and no hesitation. Never shall any bored faggot go baitless for unlike the potato famine of Ireland this bait shall never know blight.

>>>/a/

Sage negated!

Maybe if you hadn't said anything (two and a half hours later) the thread could have faded away.

I was molested when I watched it.

Watching cuckime is like being molested by your uncle. There's something off about him, but everyone regards him very highly, so you trust him, and then on a family camping trip out at Montauk Point he takes advantage of you. Years later, you accept and acknowledge what happened, but you still refuse to believe that he's scarred you, because that would put him in control, not you, and the last thing you want is a molester in control of your life – but your denial doesn't make it the truth. You want to believe that deep down inside, cuckime is a could be kino, and you see that cuckime has very redeeming qualities, but you sit down to try and watch and all you can think of is an anime girl's smug, haunting smile.