Hey Holla Forums, lets talk about the classic Xbox. It's been a little while since there was a thread on it

Hey Holla Forums, lets talk about the classic Xbox. It's been a little while since there was a thread on it.

What are your fondest memories of the Xbox?
Did you never have one until recently?
What's your favorite games on it that you feel no one else played?
Have you modded your Xbox yet? If not, why not?

Of the big hitters people know about today, games like JSRF, Halo 1 & 2, Fable, Metal Wolf Chaos, Phantom Dust, etc. What was your favorite? Are there any old Xbox IPs you'd like to see come back in some way, be it a full game or just a port to a modern platform?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/7800/discussions/0/613941122667722502/
ebay.com/itm/Original-Xbox-Samsung-DVD-Rom-Drive-SDG-605-Vrsn-A-X00603-006-NEEDS-REPAIR-/222039710522?hash=item33b2991b3a:g:9f4AAOSwB4NWz942
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You really love your HUEG OP, I keep seeing your X-OG threads.

Do you have a modded one in which you spend most of your time with?

Yes I do, I've worked on dozens of them at this point, and I regularly buy them when I find them at thrift stores or yard sales.

I have a strong fondness for the era of gaming, while I never had much interest in the Xbox at the time, I've since discovered most of my favorite games are available for the original Xbox and are usually better than their PC, PS2 and GC versions.

Unfortunately I'm busy so often with different projects and my jobs that I don't have too much time to play the thing. It was a golden era for AA and A budget tier games, and those are the ones I love most. Games like Armed & Dangerous stand out for this reason.

My personal Xbox is a limited edition Halo Xbox, I've gutted the interior and replaced it with a 1.1 model, in order to make use of the Conexant video encoder as opposed to the focus chip, in order to get the best support for games.

Nice, any chance you could post a photo of it?

Regarding 7th Gen, I agree, It was like the indieshit of nowadays but with actual budget, marketing and non retro cocksucking.
Lots of garbage, but lots of great gems with nice production values behind it.
Probably my favorite Gen just for the Dreamcast and its faithful arcade ports alone.

A Metal Wolf Chaos port to modern platforms has had a twitter post by Devolver Digital asking From to do something about it with a shitton of retweets and Sega has promised PC ports of their console games with JSRF being one of the rumoured ones.

Theres a chance I would say.

At least the efforts to emulate the console have taken a massive step foward so more people can enjoy these gems they missed.
Especially Yuropoor countries like mine where Playstation was and is the status quo.

Fuck everything.

These were two of the three games I had when I first got my Xbox. Played the hell out of both of them. I actually miss how in later Halo games it doesn't show little icons for each difficulty a level is completed on (only shows highest difficulty cleared now).

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex was another one I enjoyed, since back when I had a PS1 I loved Crash games. Burnout 3 was awesome; I spent most my time just playing the mode where you cause massive pileups. Also, Kung Fu Chaos was the shit.

I can't remember much more honestly. We had so many burned discs and so few legit copies I don't remember what else I owned that I liked.

excuse my dirty rug, I haven't vacuumed today yet, I was trying to feed the Xbox's triscuits and they weren't too happy with that. I'll do you one better, every Xbox in my room right now, plus an Intec portable display. I love the Dreamcast too, but I feel like the Xbox was a natural realization of the Dreamcast's generational-transition in both its games and tech. The Xbox seemed to do everything the DC did, but better, with many of the same games, which is why I prefer it. Of course, both systems are great.

I'm hopeful for Xbox emulation to come in well and good so the lie that it's just a system with Halo and Fable can finally be kicked away. I'm working on an Xbox for a friend and I hit the 60 game mark and realized I still had a ton I wanted to include to show him how great the library is, so I ended up upgrading the HDD. The same people who say that, might clamor over their Dolphin or Gamecube libraries which in my experience, the GC library barely scraped past 20-25 games worth playing. While I'm hitting the 93 mark and still see a few lingering ones I'd like to put on, but chose to omit. Hopefully the sound and performance issues can get fixed, JSRF looked like it was running at about 20FPS when it's supposed to be three times faster than that.

Have you tried Twinsanity? It's a bit short, but is probably the best non-naughty dog crash game.

Picrelated wasn't Xbox exclusive but that's where I played it.

Between that and Zombie Master there's a lot of good ideas for playing as a Zombie commander that haven't been tried in a more modern game. Hell even generic Necromancers normally suck ass to play.

Ill be waiting for it.
Unfortunately the only time I ever playes an Xbox game was at a rich friends house that moved away.
I only played San Andreas on it unfortunately.

Maybe it was because I sucked ass at the game and wasted special moves and people to regain, midgame bored the fuck out of me.

I should try it again.

resized it so it's 1/10th the file size. Will probably help.

Fuck, I should grab this and Ninja Gaiden Black. Been meaning to play them.

I always have a copy of Soul Calibur 2 on one of my OGs with the fuckhuge texture hack and the one that makes Necrid's moveset become Heihachi's. I wish the tools used to hack it weren't so ancient that they've disappeared off the internet, would've liked mucking about trying to get Link into it as well.

Had one as a kid, but that one broke. I bought a new one at a retro game fair and softmodded it. It's just as good as I remember.
I played Ninja Gaiden Black a lot as a kid. I was halfway through a hard mode nunchaku-only run when the old Xbox broke. I need to try that again someday.
Burnout Revenge is nice. The soundtrack is a bit cheesy but the gameplay is solid. I managed to 100% it as a kid, but getting vertical takedowns is quite hard.
Conker: Live and Reloaded had an interesting multiplayer. It had proper classes and vehicles, and playing against bots was fun. Unfortunately I discovered it well after Xbox Live shut down.
Right now I'm FTPing contents of ISO files to the hard drive to swap games, but I'll eventually get a proper hard drive for it. I've got a backup of the contents of the drive, so if it fails beforehand I have something to work with.

there is a modded SC2 on theisozone that has link and heihachi in it. Link uses mitsurugi's move set, IIRC. It does add linkin park music unfortunately, but that can be changed if you explore the file structure a bit.

out of curiosity, what broke? I've learned a lot of odd fixes for simple issues with the console.

Aww shiet, been playing a bunch of Jade Empire. Shits tight. Now that I've got every console for that gen I feel like I haven't put much use to my modded xbox (no more need to emulate on it) but with exclusives + multiplats its got easily 60 or soish games on it.

Shame the PC version no longer works.

Dropped it while transporting. It never turned on after that. I still have it for spares, but it's cheaper to just buy a new Xbox than it is to find out what went wrong with the old one.

Thats pretty autistic.
I like it.

How much do you pay for one of them vanillas?
They cost 150 minimum a pop from resellers where I live.

What do you mean?
Worked perfectly on my rig with Windblows 7 installed.

I'd never pay more than 25 dollars a box. They are just that common.

Really? I always get an error when i try and play it. I'm on AMD though, if that makes a difference.

could be something as simple as loose plug, I'd crack it open just to see, plus a torx set is pretty necessary for working on these things in general.

Bioware RPGs never appealed to much. But I'd say the range of 60-80 must-play games are on the Xbox. There's really a ton of great games on the system! Even if you're sticking to exclusives or best-on-xbox games like splinter cell chaos theory, you're gonna be getting a killer library.

Yeah, I played it. Almost got to the end before my Xbox stuffed up for good (I'm a completionist so I backtracked to Rockslide Rumble to try and get the gems I missed. Probably would have beaten it if I hadn't). It was good for what it was, and the writing was pretty funny, but you can tell it's incomplete (I know the story behind it, so I don't blame the devs.) and I think it would have benefited from being more open-ended.

Have you tried looking through the normal sources for fixes?

steamcommunity.com/app/7800/discussions/0/613941122667722502/

For example.

Last time I played It 5 years ago, I was using a GTX460 and a dual core Jewtel processor, e6400 if Im not wrong.
Cant remember if used compatility mode or not, you should try it just incase.

Youll have to specify the error.

Holy fuck man, I think travelling to the US and buying hardware in bulk would cost me less than buying hardware sporadically here.
Godamn

Also, freshly patched this for a friend. I think it's the game he's most excited to play, especially after he saw the prices on ebay.

what country are you from? I see them on ebay even for 30 bucks with all the necessary cables and even a controller. I'd avoid the ones that come with games, mostly because the games are kinda useless for me.

MechWarrior fans will shit on me for it but I fucking loved this game and the sequel was pretty great too.

Never did play them online but if there was ever a MechAssault 3 exclusive to XBone I would buy it in an instant.

Portugal
You either hardly find them 100+ or you dont find them at all.

The Mechassault games are tremendous, but when it comes to mech games on the Xbox, there's one that stands 150 feet above the rest.

Fuck my life

Heres your reply

what did she date a black guy?

How's DOSBox for it?
How's xlink still? Busy?
Best dashboard outside XBMC?

DOSBox is fine, can run most things you throw at it apart from super late dos-windows games. Once you pass that 16MB ram requirement, you're gonna get some nasty issues. Don't expect to run something like Blood.

Unleash X or Dragon for general power usage, CoinOPS for classic games if you aren't interested in Xbox titles so much.

Xlink is good, but not insanely popular. Recent breakthroughs in emulation could make it possible to restore Xbox Live service through emulation on servers, hosted by users. There's a few groups out there that are open to arranging matches that aren't Halo 2.

white guys around her were probably betamax manvaginas, and women always lean towards alpha

Fuckoff

Thank you user.

Best SNES emulator? ZSNES shits itself with MMX1, and xSNES9x or so crashes the entire Xbox if you change resolution.
Will MMZ ever be playable on the GBA emulator?

Because she's not from Holla Forums?

Ill be right happy to

Almost a good picture, too.

How many women have they raped today?

I think you mean too late

Too Holla Forums
Now fuckoff

So how do you upgrade the hard drive in an Xbox? Does anyone have that image with the instructions? Is there an easier way that doesn't involve fucking around with a Y splitter cable?

Back to France he goes.

too /cuteboys/?

Here

Here

burningrubbers' site is still fucked.

MMZ is very playable with whatever coinops uses. I played through the first two levels of MMZ2 with it, ran perfectly.

You will need to power both hard drives, you don't need a molex y-splitter, but it is the most economical. I use a molex to wall power supply and it runs superbly.

Which version of Coinops is worth getting? Got the 65GB or so one on Isozone.

depends on how much shit you want. I personally have a 340GB coinops backup I install on some of my customer's xbox's, provided they pay for the HDD costs. That version has 12,600 games on it. The 65GB release is I think 4000 something games.

Coinops requires a decent amount of work to make it look amazing, but it really pays off when it does.

Is there a Magatama english patch?

No, only metal wolf chaos has been translated as far as I know.

Even though it was at its best during multiplayer, it's at least worth the experience. Sucks that no one's ripped it off yet.

Remember being bored to tears by the DoA beach volleyball game, though DoA 3, Gunvalkyrie, Ninja gaiden and oddworld were pretty fucking neato. Too bad xbox live was a thing, having to pay for multiplayer is a huge fucking turn off.

Fuck me why is the xbox version so expensive, it's like the one xbox game i can't find for a decent price.

I had the same feeling back in August and Fall, it was like discovering a treasure trove of games when the world told me all there was, was halo and fable.

Everyone was lied to about the classic xbox, but I think these threads are a good opportunity to set it straight.

Back then, XBL was a real service, and you got tons of free DLC.

brand new day, lets do a bump before the topic expries.

Hooked it up to my HDTV and I'm kind of disappointed. Plus not that many games support 720p.

Back to the 'ol CRT.

There were a few other games I played on it that I had a blast on in its heyday, including XIII and Red Dead Revolver.

Do OG Xboxs had a tendecy to have weak disk drives? Mine finally broke down after I got it as a gift, so I'm tempted to either learn how to fix it or play whatever games that will run on 360, like Shenmue 2, Max Payne 2, CoD Big Red One, Ninja Gaiden Vanilla Black version seems harder to come by, and the rest

what do you mean by broke down? If it's stuck, there's a manual eject hole next to the eject button on the front end of the system. If it's still stick, firmly knock on the top of the system as you press the eject button. Look into modding the system so you no longer have to worry about faulty parts.

The dvd drives from earlier (01/02) are definitely weaker than the later(04) models, but the great thing about xbox is incredibly easy to replace that shit if you need to.

Basically, if you pop open your xbox and the dvd drive looks like this;
ebay.com/itm/Original-Xbox-Samsung-DVD-Rom-Drive-SDG-605-Vrsn-A-X00603-006-NEEDS-REPAIR-/222039710522?hash=item33b2991b3a:g:9f4AAOSwB4NWz942

It's shit.

Development of the program is picking up again. There's already been numerous updates released to both the engine and the UI this year after a lengthy inactivity.