90s Windows and DOS games

So I finally set up a full and proper Windows 98 machine for some old Windows games/DOS games. Gimmie some good shit to play.

This is now a 90s Windows/DOS games thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=177&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xibm thinkpad t42.TRS0&_nkw=ibm thinkpad t42&_sacat=177
games.dirtymind.com/ibmpc-files/ibmpc-adult-games/solitaire-lesbian-scout-picture-request-solitaire-edition-1-2/
github.com/akarnokd/open-ig
pixelships.com/adg/epf024.html
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
archive.org/details/pc_cdrom
archive.org/details/classicpcgames
twitter.com/AnonBabble

having win98 machine is kinda pointless nowadays since almost everything runs on windows7 and dosbox will be more compatible with dos games than your retro pc rig

I hope you got an a3d sound card because if you didn't you're wasting the potential of a retro rig

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry user, but how much of a newfag are you?

Space Federation/Star Reach
A great classic space RTS that used keyboard online controls and supported up to 4 player local co-op.
Street Rods or was it Hot Rods? I can't remember but that game was a sick as racer where you started off buying a cheap second hand car then started racing people, trying to get popular enough to finally race the King Cobra so you could go for pink slips.

Castle of the Storm Shitting Winds

Daggerfall
Mandate of Heaven
Blood
Shogo

Saturn is best girl.

Enjoy your viruses.

this

just try and run a cd game made for 98 in a virtual machine, i dare you to get the audio to work

well i didn't watch them long enough, and since there was like 1 new episode every saturday my interest soon diverted to other chink doodles, so sailor Jupiter for me

Will modern viruses even work

OP, I also run a win98se ubcd laptop for my classic PC games. Blood plays so smooth, it's ridiculous how anyone can tolerate dosbox. Oh well, I guess PC gamers are used to getting fucked in the ass with bad ports.

I personally run an IBM T42. Got it for like 45 bucks on ebay a few years back. Tremendous build quality and runs everything from that era flawlessly. It was designed for WinXP and runs win7, but it was the newest machine IBM made with legacy drivers for win98, so it's pretty much the simplest & best you can get.

its less vulnerable than a win7 machine is today.

shit forgot pic

oh yeah Maui Mallard is a must

Saturn is best girl.

comfiest time in my life

Roller Coaster Tycoon
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

Faggot.

So's Uranus lol

Should get an EAX card to enjoy Thief in all its ear licking beauty.

What kinda hardware are you using? I like the idea but no idea where I'd get older parts. (assuming I can't just use current compatible hardware)

these old parts aren't so common on the internet but a good search in thrift stores and other places where you buy old juink will almost always cough up several old as fuck pentium II - III pcs than may be working

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=177&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xibm thinkpad t42.TRS0&_nkw=ibm thinkpad t42&_sacat=177

save you the trouble of searching for old parts.

games.dirtymind.com/ibmpc-files/ibmpc-adult-games/solitaire-lesbian-scout-picture-request-solitaire-edition-1-2/

Her dwarf planet may be small, but she's the biggest girl in the show.

hipster

whatever OS came in the MacIntosh or the Apple II

I keep trying to tell people Dosbox is nothing like the real thing. Doubly so if you are using it on a LCD monitor, but every time there's just this avalanche of people insisting that it's exactly the same, and nostalgia glasses and etc.

Mah niggah

yeah, the original didn't have dosbox input lag, shit framerate, frame lagging, etc.

have you actually tried to configure dosbox or just installed it and expected it to magically run your games?

yes, have you tried comparing dosbox configured with running a game on its intended hardware taking advantage of hardware specific features?

fyi it's a world's difference.

Using windows 95 in 2016 is extremely hipster shit.

using win95 when 98se exists is a bad idea. NT however is not 9x, so if you want to run 9x software in an ideal environment, you'll use a 9x os.

Hipsters wouldn't even know how to configure autoexec.bat.

A hipstery thing to do would be having a Windows 95 machine you boot up to show off but don't actually use.

98, cock wagon
There's also nothing hipster at all about wanting to play classic games in the best possible way. Emulation is axiomaticlly worse than running software on the environment it was designed to run on. Unless OP couldn't make a good 98 rig, if he couldn't this whole exercise would be worthless.

There are still old viruses and other unpatched vulnerabilities that are just waiting to fuck your shit up. At least set up some kind of lightweight firewall.

the 'modern virus' is hardly a thing.
he's pretty safe, figuring all things that could infect your computer nowadays are rogues or adware that require modern architecture to run.
New malware is boring

Yeah they would.

It's hipster as fuck.
Hipster status guaranteed.

the 'modern virus' is hardly a thing.
he's pretty safe, figuring all things that could infect your computer nowadays are rogues or adware that require modern architecture to run.
New malware is boring

yeah remember when viruses was all ruining your pc and your data because fuck you that's why buy an original copy next time

nowadays they don't even do much other than nagging you to pay them up or using up your resources to attack wealthier people

once the money gets involved, everything instantly goes to shit.

> hurr durr big words I can't be assed to Google fuggin' hipster
This is embarrassing.

As for the thread-o, anyone got any good laptop recs for retro gay men?

It's still pretty retarded to use Internet on Windows 98 machine anyway, especially when you have modern machine.

I have never, in my life, had viruses ruin anything, and I've been on the internet since about 1996-1997.

spotted the edgy 16 year old

Even just game updates can make a world of difference, never mind emulation. Half Life has massive movement difference and missing details in the newest patch. Also Valve/HDE messed up counter strike source with the orange box update, on purpose to make CSGO look like a better game. CSS is basically in a zombified state.

Agreed. Look at your tantrum. You even threw in a hurr durr.

You're a faggot in 2016.

There are actually a few things that will only work on 95. There was some zombie game I installed it for because I never got to play it on my 98 PC back when. The regret of upgrading is nothing new to me.

Edgy how? For thinking it's stupid to use windows 95 for gaming?

As for the second part, just patch it to pre-orangebox and you can still have your bunnyhopping.

Why did they never fix that goddamn misaligned texture in the intro? That has been bothering me for over a goddamn decade.

I win :^)

I've had no performance issues with Daggerfall, to be honest fam

Nice Bush digits, though.

Try Dark Judgement

Why is DOS so comfy? I seriously wish DOS was still the standard.

you wouldn't say the same after having to configure this shit for hours with no source of knowledge to refer to

Plus it's a great learning experience.

What are you going to learn, how to do more of this mundane shit? "Oh look I finally found out that you need to put these few lines in a config by reading it in some obscure magazine borrowed from a friend of a friend, it only took me two weeks to get this working and it turns out the game is shit anyway". WHAT FUN

There's a reason why consoles were much more desirable back then and this right here is one of them.

This. DOS was wonderful, you just had to git gud. Once you knew the IRQs and DMAs for the sound card, setting up games got much easier.

I don't really miss the manual configuration, but I do miss the OS just doing exactly, precisely what I instructed it to.

What are you doing, user?

Now there's your problem. You should have done that over the summer or AFTER school.

And when i say AFTER, i mean after finishing school.

but why wait so long when DOS is so comfy? :^)

Did you actually use DOS at the time, or are you just talking out your ass?

Was trying to post the image of best DOS games, but it's impossible.

I've been getting that everywhere. Anything more than a few hundred KB gets wiped out. Let's see if this 3.2MB file posts.

I would say that she's second-best.

That's horseshit. An intimate understanding of (then) modern computing would form the foundation of mastery later. No, be completely ignorant and wait until you're expected to be working and living alone to buy a computer to figure out, with no network of classmates to get information from in a hurry. That was surely the best way to go in the nineties.

Knowing the ins and outs of DOS has saved the day quite a number of times, and makes me unto some kind of goddamn sorcerer at work, being able to run basic command line shit with appropriate switches.

I've got a USB stick with FreeDOS on it and everything seems to be working fine, besides sound. The Soundblaster 16 is supported out of the box, so I think I'll get the PCI version and keep using my modern machine. Might build a dedicated machine for Windows 95/98 eventually. Gonna look for a good CRT too, right now all I have is a shitty 5:4 LCD.

(damn son)
my number one guilty pleasure

Rainbow Six and Command & Conquer

Chips Challenge.
Jezzball.
Rodents Revenge.
Blood.
Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2.
Claw (also known as Captain Claw).
Crusader - No Remorse.
Dangerous Dave series.
Kings Quest series.

This was my go-to list of comfy games. Excluding obvious ones that I sunk lots of time into because of multiplayer, eg. Doom.

I warn you, some of these games have either tedious controls, or really fucking slow cutscenes. I think most are skippable though.

pretty sure thief also supports a3d

mobygames says I'm right

Rainbow Six and Command & Conquer

Holy shit, I miss playing Super Bomberman 4 and 5 with ZSNES on my Pentium III rig…
Good times when other 4 friends tried to play Battle Mode with the same keyboard (later on, we got a second one to work)…

war wind

The biggest file I posted today was 1.5 Mb.

The Dune game from 1992, PC-CD version.

Platformers
Prince of Persia 1 and 2.
Jazzy Jackrabbit series
Commander Keen series

Scrolling shooters
Raptor
Stargunner
Tyrian

Adventure games
Blade Runner (by Westwood Studios)
Curse of Monkey Island series
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Myst
Sam & Max series

Arcade fighters
One Must Fall: 2097

First-person shooters
DOOM
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake 1-3
Wolfenstein 3D
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Role-playing
Betrayal at Krondor
Darklands
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 2

Real-time strategy
Red Alert series
Dune
Age of Empires 1 & 2

Stealth
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief 2: The Metal Age

Turn-based strategy
Master of Magic
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Age of Wonders I

Tactics
Commandos I
X-Com
Syndicate I

Sims
Dungeon Keeper 1
Sims: Theme Park
Settlers 2
Caesar III

Misc
Lemmings series
Worms series (Worms Armageddon in particular)
Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2

Hack 'n Slash
Diablo 1
Nox

OP here. Heres the machine. Gonna set my main desktop up with a KVM switch later (the monitor shown has 2 inputs regardless but it's unneccesary with my switch.)

This machine also just got back from a LAN. I had to use fuhquake because I'm not running fte on this thing, and this is the first time in forever I've brought something that didn't run GANOO/LINUCKS to a LAN.

I also present other miscellaneous images and a cool alien I drew.

Looks fucking sweet man, I'm jealous.

Alien didn't post. Here he is. Praise Alien Bob.

Here are a few outstanding DOS games have stayed with me for 20 odd years.

First, "Star General" produced by Catware and Strategic Simulations Inc. The game is based on the ubiquitous Panzer General engine, with the added twist of incorporating simultaneous space battles between fleets, and ground battles between armies on contested planets. There are 7 distinct races, with unique race-specific units with specialized abilities. The game really shines when you create a battle scenario, choose the largest possible galactic map, maximum number of random planets, toss in all 7 races, then set conquest mode with no turn limit. You now have a game you can play for days on end, which is a pretty impressive feat for a game that was released in 1997.

Second is Imperium Galactica produced by Digital Reality and GT Interactive. The game is classic 4X but with a captivating storyline that carries through, from start to finish. The tech tree is richly developed, even by current standards, and the game includes 8 races and a diplomacy option when higher ranks are reached. During the early expansion and promotion phases, which usually takes a few days to work through, the progression and chain of events are extremely enjoyable, to the point of being obsessional. The latter phases of empire building and defense against the Dargslan invasion tends to devolve into a grind-fest, but still entirely playable.

The last set of games I remember fondly are the Dark Sun series released by Strategic Simulations Inc. This includes Dark Sun: Shattered Lands in 1993, Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager in 1994, and Dark Sun Online: Crimson Sands in 1996. While less renowned than the Forgotten Realms series, the Dark Sun universe uses the classic 2nd edition AD&D rules, and is set on the scorched, desert world of Athas. The high points of the games are the exceptionally well developed storyline which, in my opinion, has rarely been matched in the past two decades. Where the Dark Sun series surpasses any game I have ever played, before or since, is NPC development and dialog. When I played Dark Sun, I felt a true, visceral affinity towards the NPC's in the game. During the gladiator uprising, I went to great lengths to ensure that as many of the slaves escaped as possible. Loading and reloading saves if one of gladiators was killed, even if my party survived completely intact. I truly despised the captain and his guards, and delighted in slaughtering them wholesale. When I stumbled on the lush, green halfling village after trudging through the arid wastes, it was a real relief. I soon felt compelled to help the halflings deal with Yuan-ti slavers and sort out their food shortage problem. To add context, when playing Fallout, helping NPC's usually employs a reward based model. Help person A, receive item B. Dark Sun was one of the very few games to foster an actual emotional element without going for the carrot-and-stick routine. You help because you honestly feel better after doing so.

The above games might be found on GOG, but I picked up my copies on eBay. The games are much less enjoyable without their respective music and cut scenes. If you are a true oldfag like me, grab these before they disappear down the memory hole forever. I am not blowing smoke when I say a DOS collection can not be complete without these gems.

Star General is good shit. I wasted too much of my life playing that game upon rediscovering it. (I'm not an oldfag and when I had that game when I was a kid I was way too fucking stupid to play it correctly.)

You mention a lot of Strategic Simulations games, did you ever play this fucking gem? I got spoiled by the Genesis version first because of it's topdown view, but the computer versions have so much more shit in them (races, classes, ect.) They made a few other games in the same engine too which is really cool.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands looks cool as fuck and I'm definately installing that shit tomorrow.

it's called linux you idiot

I could be autistic and tell you the correct terminology is GNU/Linux, but if you want to do some real tinkering in a dark room you should be using one of the BSDs.

Muh fucking nigger.

There's now an open source version of IG:

github.com/akarnokd/open-ig

I know who you are. I know you're posting that keyboard on purpose.

Looks comfy. Even the fucking keyboard.

This.
>Tinkering with a TTY with the text set to your favorite color
The best feel

I know you wish I was joking but this shit's GOAT as fuck.

Really? What's the make/model? Is it mechanical?

(observed)
ZSNES may not be the best emulator, but damn it, I can never get over how comfy that UI is. It's probably the only reason I haven't switched over to something better.

This is why my first Linux distro was Slackware. Good shit. Do it user.

I miss you, Sierra

OP here. Slackware is the best Lunix.

Man I miss when everything was cream/beige

Thre UI pisses me off. The mouse always goes all over the place and it's so finnicky even with the lowest settings on my mouse.

There were lots of black computers back then, they just tended to be corporate machines. IBM loved black. Beige was the go-to color for home computers.

Greetings fellow Lainon.

Cyberdogs and C-dogs
Meteor
Matter Blaster
Major Styker

The funny thing is that my main desktop is in an old ass beige server tower.

Not only does Thief support a3d, it sounds shitloads better than EAX. That's why Creative killed it.

Any vaporware or whatever its called? Shit like Chips adventure?

Just use ZMZ you stupid faggot.

You are fucking retarded fam, congrats on wasting time and money on a Windows 98 machine that you don't need

I don't have one anymore, fam, but if I did, I'd count myself lucky.

How old are you, incidentally? Because I don't understand how someone who lived through that era could legitimately believe there's no difference. It's just wrong.

She doesn't even have any talent.

user's looking for some good 90s games?

Get yourself an old joystick (analog if you can find it) and install Freespace and Freespace 2, they're space fighters and they kick ass.

Also, if you get that joystick you should check out an old game called Hardwar, I think the company that made it is now defunct, you could probably find a copy on amazon for a dollar or something.

Next, you gotta get an old steering wheel and play the old NFS games. They're all pretty good but the ones that I remember the most are the Hot Pursuits, the Undergrounds, and one with all Corvettes, it's pretty sweet.

Also get all the obvious games like the Quakes (I think people still play Quake 3) Half Life (and it's expansions, it has some really good Mods on ModDB)

If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure Halo 1 runs on Windows 98 without much problem.

Diablo 1 and 2 obviously.

Fuck man, the 90s had some great titles that I'm gonna have to go back and revisit.

I have a stick. Was playin some fuckin Deadly Tides earlier, shit was cool. I have a 2hu 6 CD and did you know that game supports joysticks?

I loved the old Need for Speed games when I was a kid, but I need to get a new wheel. No idea what happened to the old one.

I'm one of this biggest Quakefags on this site without being a Deuteronomy worshipping fake lawyer.

We played lots of PC Halo in high school. i was thinking about installing it.since it DOES run on 98.

Diablo 1 and 2 are GOAT.

Spiderweb's Exile series.

It doesn't play on 64-bit OSes. They're pretty great RPGs for their time, and I fondly remember finding the secret demon portal in the starting area and causing all sorts of havoc.

And all my character builds were shit, too.

Remember the good ol' times?

MUH FUCKIN NIGGA

I totally forgot about that game but I played the SHIT out of it when I was 10~ish. Fuck I'm gonna have to replay it now

The season where she was introduced was where I lost the will to keep watching mahou shoujo. It was the same shit every episode again and again and again for hundreds of episodes with no relief in sight.

neat. did the same and played full throttle, original day of the tentacle, oh and also
ARMY MEN TOYS IN SPACE
ARMY MEN AIR TACTICS
shit I miss army men series.

Definitely Castle of the Winds.
pixelships.com/adg/epf024.html
I remember collecting treasure chests in the castle and filling them up with gold and magic items. Good times.

You are now a cool man to me.

If you're feeling saucy you can use your joystick for NFS games.

Here's my list, if you like RPGs:

Wizards & Warriors: Underrated CRPG. Very similar to Wizardry or the later Might & Magic games

Revenant: Diablo, but with prettier graphics and a seamless overworld.

Lands of Lore 1-3: My favorite is 2, though many would pick 1. 2 is a very fun first person CRPG that bravely attempted to do what Daggerfall did, but on a smaller, tighter scale. It kinda worked, for the most part. Very funny game with some good dialog work.

Oni: The 3rd person shooter Bungie made before shitting themselves up with Halo. Female protagonist too. Hot chick, kicks ass. Great game that Windows 7 can't play, sadly. Lucky you will have no problem with 98, though.

These are just some random games for DOS and early Windows that I personally enjoy and I think you should check out:

Dune (CD-ROM)
Megarace
Lost Eden
3-D Cyperpuck
Bioforge
Terminal Velocity
Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.0 (CD-ROM)
Adventures of Willy Beamish (CD-ROM)
Das Boot
Skyroads
Sim Ant
SimCity Classic
Descent
Hocus Pocus
Space Quest Chapter 1 (Text Parser Version)
Ninja Nanny & Sherrloch Sheltie (Ironically)
ZZT
Aces of the Pacific
Darkseed
Darkseed II
Monkey Island
Maniac Mansion (Enhanced Version)

There's obviously more good games than these, but I just can't think of them at the top of my head at the moment.

Play Legend of Kyrandia 2, it's a great game.
You can play the 1st if you want to as well, but the 3rd in my opinion is not worth playing.

Neptune is best girl. Fuck Toei for those copy/paste transformations we got.

It sucks that the creator of this series wasted such neat concepts and character designs into a shitty story. The video games gave these girls better attacks.

slut

you sir, are a man of relative good taste

add warcraft2 to that list

too bad starsiege completely overshadowed these games. they aren't bad at all

First thing I would install on a legacy system would be Metal Fatigue. Impossible to get working flawlessly on modern hardware and OS. The game badly needs a GoG release or for the source code to surface so it can use something other than 3dfx.

Get on that Heavy Gear 2

try it with linux through wine. better compatibility with older windows games than windows without having to use older operating systems

try Fragile Alliance

time to start drinking

SailorMoon is shit for girls and gays.

Get the fuck out of here.

Quake had such good music.

I always preferred Rayearth.

The shit are you talking about?

I still have the GameStar cover disc with that somewhere

also, knock yourselves out:
archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
archive.org/details/pc_cdrom
archive.org/details/classicpcgames

I didn't have access to a computer beyond a crippled IBM PS/2 386 until 1999, and I had to buy that over the course of three months' paychecks. I missed everything in the eighties and practically all of the nineties due to poverty. Yay!

I just downloaded this glorious piece of thing
Is there any way to disable the forward/backward movement with the mouse?
Is there a way to set the mouse to turn while having A/D to strafe left/right at the same time?

Get a god damn trackball, that shit's fucking fun, like god damn wizard fun.

Dunno but have you tried running it with ECWolf?

I don't want to go outside and search for someone that sells me a trackball

Nah, I'm running it with DOSBox. Does ECWolf have that option?

I tried to play Heavy Gear once. Had no clue what I was doing