This, the Series of our Regret

You knew it, you loved it. The series of your youth, or even something you recently discovered.

They were the games you loved. Maybe they got you onto a certain developer. you bought the new one every time it came out, and new treasured memories were had.

Then something changed. You heard reports of the latest edition. It seemed off, maybe like the developer might be going in a different direction. "That's fine," you think, "I like to try new things, and I love the stuff they've done."

So you buy the latest one. you install it, put in in your console, turn on your handheld, whatever the case may be.

It's shit. Unmitigated garbage. They took one of your favorite game series' and destroyed it. Themes, art styles, gameplay mechanics, maybe even the damn genre changed. You're not the only one who thinks so, and so the series, at least as you knew it, dies forever.

Share in this thread, Holla Forums. Let out that little hatred you've been holding onto.

These two are mine. I loved these two series', and these games killed them. One took more than 13 years to come out with another entry, and it's a shitty mobile game. The other turned a beloved mecha strategy into an on-rails shooter.

Let it out.

Other urls found in this thread:

p4rgaming.com/square-enix-accidentally-publishes-fanfiction-for-the-final-fantasy-x-2-5-novel/
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daishō~
youtu.be/J9ZMQi_rFb8
youtu.be/J9ZMQi_rFb8?t=19m15s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one has any series regrets?

The anal-fisting of my childhood

What's with all those linebreaks, OP?

I don't think I've ever been heavily vested in a series that's completely changed track. Only thing I can think of that's slightly related would be Star Wars games, in general, going from good to pure shit.

Paradox post-Vicky 2 in general.

At least the original trilogy will always be great. Helps they still hold up pretty damn well too.

Never did play Enter the Dragonfly (thankfully) but I expect that proved to be a real wake up call for a lot of kids about being leery of a favorite game series changing developer hands.

Easy. I'm kinda dumb. I don't want to do a text wall, and I see the lines in the text box and go "DURR, THAT LOOKS LONG ENOUGH". I will attempt to do that less in the future.

inb4 Devil May Cry
inb4 Legacy of Kain
inb4 Tomb Raider
inb4 Starcraft
inb4 Silent Hill
inb4 Ace Combat (though 7 has a chance to be good)

Aside from Paradox and Nintendo I don't have any of this. Rip Paper Mario, Rip Eu4.

For the better?

Paper mario (and to a lesser extent fire emblem), that shit was one of my favorite games, but for whatever reason they decided to gut everything great about them. Fire emblem they just turned into a casual as fuck waifu sim because waifufags don't care about games apparently.

Just hitting enter once suffices for the majority of post lengths.

It still hurts.

At least with Devil May Cry, you could say Donte and DmC at least brought most of Holla Forums together to mock and deride its existence, as well as being a wake up call with the journalists collectively shitting on the fans of the older entries, ignoring legitimate complaints in favor of arguing "fans just don't like Dante's new hair color." Still terrible for that to have happened to the series and its fans.

Was going to post dragon quarter as well.

In addition my pics.

BoF, AC, and MR represent probably my three favorite franchises, all done for it seems.

From what i heard/seen the game was going to be much better than it ended up being, but because the publisher didn't give a single fuck about that game, the pretty much forced the devs to release the game as is.

I don't think any Breath of Fire fan asked for what they've done with Breath of Fire 6.

It was really 4 that murdered the franchise, though. 5 tried to pull it out somewhat, but the changes for the worse that started in 3 went totally off the fucking rails in 4.

You asked for it
It didn't have to be like this

What's so bad about Dragon Quarter?

Daily reminder. SS sold the most in Japan, so this is all we're ever going to get from now on.

Fuck those faggots.

What if the series comes back but as a "modernized" reboot like DmC?

Though I guess the same could be said for most Sierra games after the sellout by Ken and the eventual vivisection of Sierra by faceless corporate butchers and thieves who's only interest in them was in stripping them of every last ounce of value before casting the bones away and moving on.

King's Quest went to shit with VII and VIII forever ruined the series. Space Quest was drug behind the shed and shot in the head after VI. QFG was one of the first sacrifices, until an organized fan petition flooded their offices with letters like that fucking courtroom scene from Miracle on 34th Street. And then they decide to respond to the fans by giving them exactly what they never fucking wanted or asked for - a 3D Action/RPG/Adventure hybrid designed around online multiplayer and DLC - which was cut out at the last minute.

Larry at least ended on a bit of a high note with Love for Sail, until they rebooted with that mini-game shitfest to cash in on that American Pie fad… and then, I don't even fucking know what all was wrong with Box Office Bust because I never played it, but I assume it's bad.

Fire Emblem
Sonic

There used to be a time where you couldn't. Where fan magazines were all of the information you could get beforehand.

Dragon Quarter is a perfectly servicable game. I'm even willing to say that I may be judging it too harshly because of my own bias. But it is not, aside from the barest allowances, a Breath of Fire game. It also sold so poorly that it killed the series for over a decade. For an example, it sold less than 135,000 copies in America in 2003, when the PS2 was still king. To give an example of how poor this is, The Simpsons: Hit and Run came out the same year and cleared 1.57 million units in the US alone.
Take this image. Each Breath of Fire game has a protagonist/deuteragonist pairing in Ryu and Nina. They're usually either very close friends or romantically inclined (usually only later in the game). Their personalities tend to vary, but there are recurring themes, such as Nina's wings, Ryu's blue hair, views on the concepts of right/wrong, and their roles in the party.
In this image is all of the Ninas/Ryus in the first 5 games. Ryu is of The Brood, a clan of dragons that live as humans. Nina is of the Winged Clan, for obvious reasons. On the far right are the Ryu and Nina from Dragon Quarter. I could delve into the storyline, but that would require a long post I don't feel up to now. The art shift was drastic, and it coincided with a shift to fully 3d characters and environments.
It also changed the gameplay completely. Gone was the turn-based RPG with transformations, skills you could learn from enemies, team formations, skill combos, and multiple playstyles. It became a strange Rougelike. The team was still there, but spamming one skill per character was all you needed for most battles. You can't get about 1/2 of the story unless you play over and over again (parts of the story would only come unlocked after you died and came back multiple times.) To get a character to level 70 it takes about 3 and 1/2 million experience points. Save tokens are limited, but you can make temporary save files that are overwritten when they're used. You're penalized for literally walking through the magic of the d/ratio system. Once it fills you die, period. Using items, fighting, and walking all fill the d/ratio, as does the main concept of the Ryu character from the previous games, turning into a dragon. The guys over at GameFags, it can take 86 retries to get to the best d/ratio, and you can't get the best score if you use a hard save.

tl;dr it changed a lot of what people liked about the first 4 games, and replaced it with stuff that didn't feel like a Breath of Fire game

even though rabbids killed rayman 4, origins and legends were competent and even moreso in first rayman style than the sequels

there are a lot of series brutally raped and killed but your is far from being one even if you don't like the new games

Honestly, Fallout wasn't my favorite game ever or anything, but the rape was EXCEPTIONAL. It's like Satan himself emerged on this earth and carried out a masterpiece of violation. And the icing on the fuckhappy cake? Bethesda literally OUTBID the ORIGINAL CREATORS of the game to make this all happen. You hear people talk about shitty publishers being "evil" a lot, but this is the pinnacle. They didn't just pick up an unused license that no one had any interest in anymore, they took it away from the people who made it.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is easily the best Breath of Fire game. I'm saying that as someone that has never played any other Breath of Fire game and only got like 3 hours in to Dragon Quarter because PCSX2 crashed in the middle of a boss battle and I ragequit.

That's a great picture. Wish the game lived up to it.

You've got what it takes to be a games journalist. I believe in you, user.

But that's exactly what happened, except the game was canned and retooled into a multiplayer deathmatch thing.

I adored to SSX series up until this point. I still don't know how they fucked it up so hard.

I actually kind of liked Dragon Quarter or at least what it represented. It felt so different and risky in comparison to the pretty by the numbers games of the series and I will always give devs props for trying new things. But ya, worst Breath of Fire by far. Having to constantly restart and slog through the same shit time after time was tiring and killed any chance that game had.

Deus Ex: Invisible War. To date, it's the only game that's managed to disappoint me. Everything felt like a knockoff of the first, like it was perfunctory, just there to tick a box. E.g. the two-sentence datacubes etc. compared to entire pages of books in the first just felt like it hampered immersion rather than provide it. Loading screens everywhere didn't help, with their little two-second popup animation, and the tiny level size made the whole game feel like it took place indoors. The universal ammo system meant you were never forced to improvise, you always had ammo for the optimal weapon or none at all (conversely there was no point in ever using subpar weapons to conserve ammo for good ones for later). The writing wasn't horrible, but it wasn't memorable either. I don't remember what the plot was, other than the intro having a city get fucked up by nanomachines in a sequence that felt like it belonged in a final fantasy game.

TL;DR the game felt like buying the sequel to chess, only to find that the box contains only square slips of paper with "white pawn", "black pawn", "white rook" etc. on them and a big one that says "board."
Bah.

There's a sliver of hope, there. Sticker Star did only as well as it did because of the 3DS's absolutely massive userbase and the prior popularity of the Paper Mario games, I remember some user crunched the numbers and found 1 in 10 Gamecube owners had The Thousand Year Door while 1 in 30 3DS owners have Sticker Star.

People also weren't happy that Sticker Star and all of its problems attempted to infect the Mario & Luigi series via Paper Jam and that Color Splash will be Sticker Star 2. I'd expect low sales for Color Splash since we know what we're getting into now.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater.
5 could've been a return to form, but it was made by the same fags behind THPSHD and had bugs all over the place. At least there's still THUGPro.

Ubisoft broke the news about 20 minutes into conviction. I didn't take it well. Nobody would, losing their own favorite game.

And I'd never be the same again.

anything after 3 should not have existed

ow, thanks for dropping an icicle in my stomach.

What do you mean user Bethsoft made it better :^)

tfw people are still falling for bait you made in 2008

Were you the fallout 3/FFVII guy?

Fuck that. 4 and 5 were fun as fuck.

If you're crying about unimportant shit like the story then it should have ended at 2 before everything in the MGS universe started to revolve around 20 people and that terrible excuse for a character DA BAUS

bottom right, I figured people who knew me would know my avatar was from max payne, and features a classic pc game reference and knew I was fucking around. They did, and when they showed me this image had been passing around image boards I was at the time, taking a break from, I died laughing. It still happens to this day.

lel that's pretty good man, now I'm wondering how much of this image is b8

I know the ff7 and the thisistheyear guy are baiting, and myself, of course.

I know, it hurts.

It really was not, it was just a side thing, and it's not actually that bad.
I'm a big Legacy of Kain fan but Nosgoth didn't piss me off, it's not like they stopped the production of a sequel to do it.

Before Nosgoth, there was this.
Ass Creed of Kain with literal FUCK YOU lines.

user, it was a quick, dirty, soulless cash-in that Activision kicked out the door while it was still in active development because they wanted to shit out one last game before their license expired. The game was released on the day their Tony Hawk license finally ran out.

Pic related is something that will always fill me with disgust. Also included is a bonus picture of the culmination of my favorite franchise being raped and murdered.

Atleast CnC 3 is decent, even if it's slow paced
CnC 4 doesn't exist

I miss Monster Rancher.

I was never really into CnC. Someone explain it's downfall to me.

bruh…

Gran Turismo 5
I preordered the collectors edition of this piece of shit and i got GT4 HD, now with a confusing UI and unlockable damage.
It doesnt help that Forza 3 came one year before and blew it out of the water in almost every single aspect except the car count because GT5's car list is inflated with repeats of the same fucking Skylines, Miata's and Civic's
GT6 was the same fucking game with a few more Skyrine repeats and slightly better graphics and from what i've heard about GT Sport (and based on that single clip released as PR for the new Nissan GTR refresh) its a fucking rehashed mess again and Polyphony is behind schedule again.

So much potential…

Jokes aside, the time management mechanic in Dragon Quarter was really interesting and unusual in RPGs. AFAICT the other BoF games are fairly vanilla RPGs, mechanically speaking. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it still seems wrong to blame the game that tried something legitimately interesting for the death of the franchise.

It will always hurt

As much as I would like a new game as good as MR2, at least that game has plenty of replayability.

Tibia

Inspired by Ultima, and released about 9 months before Ultima Online, it started out as the project of two College student and originally considered itself a Multi-User Dungeon, a term that has pretty much gone extinct today.

I first started playing it in 2004, a whopping 8 years after its first release, after a friend told me about it. I only had 56k dial-up then, but the game's requirements were so low you only needed a 28k connection to play it.

The developers were very good about constantly supporting the game, releasing large content updates every six months for it for summer and for Christmas.

Unfortunately, that would eventually become its greatest weakness instead of its greatest strength. They started changing some of the key mechanics of the game in the name of "balance" that pissed off a lot of users, including myself.

First they nerfed the Sorcerers, who were famously known as glass canons and were very useful for completing certain quests. They had (for a while at least) been reduced to a completely useless class.

For a little while they buffed the Knights, which was good for me as I was a Knight. Later though, they stripped the Knights of what little ability they had to use magic runes. A Knight sucked at magic, but with enough training could still manage to use Ultimate Healing, Heavy Magic Missile, or Great Fireball to aide him in battle. With that gone, we were instead forced to carry heavy healing potions with us, because supposedly our ability to carry a lot of stuff was too good.

After I stopped playing, I know they did some buffs for Paladins, Druids, and also worked to make Sorcerer not suck anymore. They also started lowering the famously harsh penalty for death that the game had, in an attempt to appeal to new players more.

Then they ported the game to Flash, so they could promote it on Facebook.

Once in a while I can fill the craving for the old Tibia via private servers, but I'll never really get back what it once was. Also, around 10 years ago, some people were working on a Tibia competitor, but the project seems to be stuck in development hell and their forums are dead. I played on their test server once. It had promise.

Shadow Hearts bled out
Dark Cloud is forever clouded in history
Final Fantasy became mundane
Suikoden didn't get enough stars to secure a good destiny
Breath of Fire lost the spark
Metal Gear's gone rusty without Kojima
Star Ocean ain't so bright
Soulcaliber got offed by the soulless
and Mega Man's kicked the can.

It was bound to happen, nothing lasts forever, but it still hurts, you know?

fable 1 10/10
fable 2 7/10
fable 3 4/10
anything later 0/10
fable legends canceled/10 years

From what I've heard, it just strikes me that Dragon Quarter would have been received better as a spin off or side game with a more standard Breath of Fire V in development alongside it. As it stands, while the western release dropped the numeral from the title, in Japan it was outright called Breath of Fire V, and rather than learning from their mistakes (if you want to call it that) or at least having had another title in development they could fall back on, Capcom tossed the franchise into the back of the freezer until they needed to make some mobile shit out of something.

While I know that From the New World is generally considered rather hit or miss compared to Shadow Hearts and SH: Covenant, that was always meant as a side game. Apparently Nautilus had been planning to have a prequel game starring Yuri's dad, but that never happened since Aruze shut them down and went back to being full pachinko (Shadow Hearts being of of the few, if not only non pachislot related things I know that Aruze had). Some of the former Nautilus employees went to feelplus and helped Mistwalker with Lost Odyssey, and feelplus (along with their parent company AQ Interactive) have merged with Marvelous Entertainment. Not entirely sure how many of the team are still in the industry, but Kato and Machida have said in an interview that they're apparently working on a game they can't discuss much about right now. Uncertain if it's Shadow Hearts related (if they were able to get the series rights from Aruze), a spiritual successor, or a new IP, but hopefully whatever it is turns out good.

From the New World was really good, honestly.

I don't get the hate on it.

Having been playing through the series myself, I certainly like it as well. But then again, I knew what to expect from what I'd heard already. I expect that the change in tone from the prior games (including Koudelka; that shit gets really dark) was a turn off to series fans, given it's much more quirky than the other ones (even Covenant doesn't quite go so far, and is rather balanced between dark and quirky). There's also a fair difference between lovable shapeshifting twenty-four year old asshole thug Yuri and sixteen year old Johnny. Mechanically, it's quite solid, and helps to balance out stuff that was a tad broken in Covenant; I would have liked to have seen some of that applied in the Shadow Hearts III the developers had wanted to make afterward.

Really just strikes me as being a solid, yet love it or hate it entry, and one that those that hate it are pretty vocal about, at least from what I've seen of other anons in the past. Some games are just like that.

Still, I do hope you've played the prior games and didn't just play FtNW (seen that be the case for an user or two here in the past). Otherwise you've missed out.

The thing is that 3 was probably the best game in the series. Gameplay-wise, story-wise, music-wise, you name it.

What they did to this series is unforgivable. Thief: DS wasn't the best, but it wasn't as bad as some people say it is (it retained some of the charm of the original game despite removing features of previous games, and kept true to the story). I was so excited when they first announced Thi4f, but being naive at the time, I didn't pay attention to all of the rape the devs were doing to the game outside of them "fixing" the rewards for killing people at the time. I was not prepared for the horror that was seeing a beloved franchise of mine be desecrated the way it did.

It really did have too much of a different tone. The only characters that really seemed to still fit as shadow hearts characters were Johnny, Ricardo and the Indian chick. The monster designs were still well done and fucked up looking but it seemed like a lot of other stuff was too light-hearted.

Frank was just awful and I heard the main villain guy, Killer or whatever was supposed to be Jack the Ripper as per the usual shadow hearts thing of the villains being famous figures from history.

Easy.
D2: LoD was one of the best games I've ever played. Fucking Blizzard used to be amazing.

At least Dragon Quest is still doing well. We may never see the series on this side of the Pacific but considering SE current localization practices this could be for the best.

Jesus God, why did Sega change all their IPs, burn all their bridges, and fuck themselves up.

Frank is hilarious in just how awful/retarded he is. I'm still playing it, but I keep hoping for a "we trained him wrong as a joke" moment. Still can't believe there's a weeaboo "ninja" as a party member, though it's not as if Covenant didn't have one NPC in France being an otaku for Japanese culture and an NPC in Japan complaining how people in town are turning into westaboos since Yokohama opened to international trade.

But yeah, occasionally the darker aspects show up temporarily (such as Ricardo having to put his girlfriend down when the Malice mutates her into an abomination) but overall the tone's a lot lighter. And while Covenant itself was lighter than SH1 (which in turn was a bit lighter than Koudelka), even it managed to get pretty bleak and depressing between what goes on and the existential crisis Yuri undergoes (due to the mistletoe curse; loss of self being a fate worse than death to a Harmonixer).

I might be wrong, but I think FtNW would take place a bit too late for that, unless the idea was him hiding out for a few decades in America until 1929.

With Conker the latest addition, is there anyone still safe from this?

Would also add Parasite Eve, Wild Arms, and probably Syphon Filter but I have no idea what they did with the PS2 one.

At one time I would have said the Chrono and the Mana series'. But now I feel like pic related.

They're dead but that means they're also safe.

Edge

Maverick

It just seems Frank is way too out of touch with the series even for that game. The talking drunken cat that's friends Capone is a bit much too. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy it but it just doesn't have that semi-horror of the previous titles.

They at least kept the bring people back to life thing always goes horrifically wrong.

>unless the idea was him hiding out for a few decades in America until 1929.

I think that was indeed the idea or even some Occult reason to him living for a long time and committing murders. I found it insulting to the series that they named that thing Roger Bacon and was sad when no historical figure showed up to be a villain.

Fuck you, i love BioShock.

The first two were great.
Then Infinite happened.
Its not utter trash by all means, but it really missed the mark on what made the first two so Enjoyable.

Also

Official tier list

Wild Arms 4 was weak, I'll admit, but I went in expecting to hate it from what others had said and couldn't quite do that. WA5 was all around an improvement, and while I haven't given XF a go yet, I've heard decent things about it as well, though it is a different genre (being a Tactical JRPG than a traditional JRPG).

Apparently Kaneko's working on something this year since it's the 20th anniversary of the series, and has met up with some of the people that worked on the earlier ones, including Naruke. Not sure what exactly it'll be, but with some luck, perhaps a new game.

The series started as gothic horror with RPG elements in Koudelka, with the PS2 games being more traditional JRPGs with horror aspects to the plot and designs, though gradually growing away from that. An interview a while back said that he Japanese playerbase found SH1 too scary, and while the creators took that as a compliment, higher ups told them to cut that shit out and make more normal stuff. Hence the later games being less dark, but if anything even weirder as a middle finger to those higher ups about "making the series more standard."

Roger Bacon's been in the series since Koudelka on the PS1, where he was generally a spooky looking, half desiccated 700+ year old immortal warlock. If you play the games in order SH1 raises a big question to those that played Koudelka of what the fuck happened to Roger for him to just be murdering the fuck out of people on the train when he was so good natured in the prior game, and what had happened in the prior fifteen years to change his temperament and apparently restore his body. Of course, that turns out to be a ruse, and if anything, the PS2 games are a lot nicer on his model when he does show up, as he doesn't look quite as corpsey.

Except that it is pretty clear how it ended

Not everyone :^)

Obligatory mention of Final Fantasy, though I'm sure the consensus has shifted to "it was always shit" due to most of Holla Forums not being old enough to remember anything prior to the 6th console generation except through emulation.

Bioshock exactly started to be the dark ages of Systemshock as soon as Ken Levine called it a spiritual successor, what it wasn't.

When did Crash get gay Maori tattoos? That can still somehow be seen through fur?

FF6 was such a good game. I didn't even mind the PS1 FF titles, as least they were trying something new.

I think the tattoos were literally magic and were part of the Gimmick of the game that added them.

Still shit though.

I did enjoy N&B, but seriously, Not Muh Banjo, it should been a new IP.

He's right though.

p4rgaming.com/square-enix-accidentally-publishes-fanfiction-for-the-final-fantasy-x-2-5-novel/

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5_~Eien_no_Daishō~

Hahahaha

I recently played and finished FFX after first seeing it over ten years ago on a friend's PS2 (Glad that emulation for PS2 works well), damn that was an excellent experience. Really enjoyed it. Haven't been able to bite through X-2 yet though, gotta try that but the first half hour is tremendously confusing.

First game wasn't perfect, but I had hope for asscreed. It was like a natural evolution from Prince of Persia, in which you could run and jump and vault over and around shit in any direction as opposed to specific obstacle courses. I should've seen this shit coming, because the games after Sands of Time progressively got worse as the series went on.

It's not a huge loss, but it's still something you can look at and shake your head at. Asscreed becoming a cash cow is tantamount to watching a nice, shy, cute girl turn into a massive slut.

The Tony Hawk games.

Back in 2003, I was with my Dad, and we went into a Babbages one day during the summer. They had an entire table full of used N64 carts, and I wanted to try a new series. I ended up picking Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. My Dad bought it for me, and it changed my life, introducing me to both skateboarding and punk rock.

I ended up renting, borrowing, and buying all the games in the series during the past few months, until Christmas came around and I asked for the new Tony Hawk's Underground. I got it, loved it, ended up loving the series and buying each game as it came out every holiday season. I liked how the gameplay expanded from each previous game. I even loved the separate games in the series, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam for the Wii, and Tony Hawk games for Game Boy.

It all changed when I moved away in 2007, and ended up not having much money for new games and ended up playing old shit. I never got around to playing Project 8 onward.

Eventually in 2009 I started earning some money again, trying and liking Tony Hawk's Project 8. I didn't want to spend a bunch of time and money on the Tony Hawk games with the real skateboard, but I ended up getting Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, and being massively disappointed that they tried to imitate the original Tony Hawk games instead of making them like the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox games, with the advanced tricks, gameplay, level size, story, and pedestrians. It was a lazy cash grab. I ended up getting Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, and it was the same shit.

Boy am I fucking disappointed in Activision. I wish somebody would buy back the license, and make the Tony Hawk games like the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox style of games because I fucking loved them.

I had no idea Bethesda stole the game from the original creators. That fucking hurts.

System Shock fans feel this way about Bioshock.

I never followed the hype for Fable 1, and it originally didn't run on my computer thanks to DRM, but I eventually got it to run and I enjoyed it.

C&C ~ any chance of buying the ip just to give it a viking funeral?

Diablo3..ugh. StarCraft2 as well. Heck RIP Blizzard of my youth.

Metroid
The worst part is that because it's a women in modern times everyone on Holla Forums will call me an SJW. but when Dante got fucked everyone on Holla Forums got pissed. I'm truly alone here.

I enjoyed the later ones, but they in no way lived up to the hype.

Dude wtf no-one who likes Metroid likes the direction it has gone.

fixed
Most of the "fans" today just want to get off to their waifu. We don't get a badass in the armor anymore, now we have to appease to waifufags by having a zero suit in stupid situations.
I can't complain much though, hopefully after Nintendo's done fucking the corpse it'll finally be put to rest unlike Fire emblem. They have it worse right now.

I'd say it depends on what exactly it is you've come to dislike about the series. If it has to do with Other M you'd likely find yourself in good company here in despising what Sakamoto did with that game.

Other M is shit but think about it. We've gone almost 10 years since a good metroid game has released. The latest is a mini mech game about the federation.

why does he look like Leon Kennedy on that last one?

Metroid is dead because Nintendo can't handle the idea of having an adult IP

I liked the expansion as well as the games itself. Balance issues aside, 3 and Kane's Wrath were a ton of fun.

Too bad they never made a fourth, hopefully they will! Expanding on the core mechanics and concluding the story would be great, instead of just ending on a terrible note and ruining everything fun about the game.

That genre of shooter is gone. Weep not for what was, gentle Holla Forums.

Wait, you didn't like the series' penultimate entry?

user. Though the combat of Wild Arms 2 was slow I liked the overall game. Except for that bitch of a female love interest, Ashley childhood sweetheart. I have yet to play another RPG with the love interest being that much of a manipulative bitch.

This.

My disappointment started with Project 8 and I thought Proving Ground was a bit better but I never got anything past that.

Underground was definitely my favourite in the series and I still play it every now and then even today.

Rinoa from FF8 was kind of a cunt.

HOW

ABOUT

WE

STOP

POSTING

THIS

IT

IS

ANNOYING

TO

READ

YOU

DAMN

COCK

SUCKER

?

Pic related is my addition

see

You tremendous faggot.

Turok

I know star Ocean 4 is shit, but is there anything redeemable about 3?
Currently playing SO2, and I love it so far, holy shit why did they dumb it down so much on 3?

would have been better if you could get with quistis

Yes.

And if Squall didn't suffer from autism, and if the combat and attribute system wasn't ass.

All my favorite series are dead, maybe I should be dead too

I gave up part way because I hated the crafting system

it's super dumbed down and if an NPC makes a kind of item first, and they fucking will, they can patent it locking you out of those sweet sweet patent money

oh and you can't jsut craft a bunch of cool shit right away and anywhere, you gotta do it at a crafting station

also the entire game slowed down so much since going to 3d and crafting is insufferably slow

vids related

youtu.be/J9ZMQi_rFb8

my brother

wrong on 3 counts bucko

FUCK

youtu.be/J9ZMQi_rFb8?t=19m15s

Squall didn't deserve Quistis.

well yeah, he chose that skank Rinoa, dumbshits with shit taste don't deserve good women

I'm fine with franchises going to shit. It's the natural evolution of them. The farthest they usually get with solid games is 3 then they almost always go to hell. most games only get 2 and the 3rd is shit though.

The basic formula is that the first game is amazing. It's a bit rough around the corners and might be a bit shorter or less fleshed out than you would like but it's still extremely well made and fresh.

Then the second game comes out and it's either shit or the staple of the series. It smoothed out the corners the original had and since it had a bigger budget it has more to it than the original did as well as some more.

It's usually by the 3rd game it goes to shit because producers try to hamfist what they think is selling in to the game. The best example of this sort of thing is Dead Space.

The formula isn't perfect and sometimes a franchise can stay good for more than 2 games but it's not really common.

I think my overall statement I'm trying to make here is to not buy the hype and to look up reviews for shit before you buy them and to be happy with what you have. I don't understand why so many fags are clamoring for a new Conkers Bad Furday or a new Dark Souls when we could be actually asking for new shit with more original ideas. I'm seeing the same faggots who say the industry is stagnating are often the same people who want a continuation to their favorite franchise that stopped producing anything really original after the 2nd game.

Oh man, I quit right when your about to recruit that red haired girl because it just got so uninteresting.
But those crafting animations are kinda neat though.

yeah, except when you want to craft a bunch it slows everything the fuck down

Yep this guy is IGN material

My nigger in arms

Fellow niggers, we're suffering together.
pic related, another tragic victim

Fucking why

Mate, No one likes Other M on here unless they are clinically retarded.

Ah yes Thief 4 is when I first truly understood this industry is Hollywood now.

It isn't about making good games anymore that you believe in and WANT to make. You're not an artist who wants to make something creative that hopefully others relate to.

Jagged Alliance Back in Ass, I didn't even play the fucking game, this picture is all I needed to know. For fuck's sake on release a guy with a melee weapon like a fireaxe could run up to your dudes and not only would the victim be unable to fire until he or she died, but the other fucks in your team would just look at the bloodshed without firing a single round.

Oh god, burnout died for me with paradise. Didnt know they kept raping it further

Both the C&C and Red Alert series were created by a company called Westwood Studios, One of the biggest RTS devs in history. They were one of the many devs that EA drove into the ground in the early-mid 00s, but both series were arguably at their peak when this happened (as opposed to most of EA's victims, who peaked several years prior). Both series quickly crashed and burned afterwards because EA didn't know what to do with them, and aside from an abortive attempt at getting Bioware to revive C&C, EA hasn't touched either one since.

I'm so sorry you had to find out this way, user.
Burnout is now dead. And it will never return.

I hate what has become of Fatal Frame /v.

They are now marginalised on that shit console because Nintendo bought the IP.

What's worse is that the games are no longer mind fucking horror ghost stories. Nope it's about costumes and waifu bait now.

Fuck it I remember crimson butterfly. Played this in the middle of the night with a autumn rainstorm outside the window.

Thief 4 was godawful even by modern industry standards.

Silent Hill

Yeah it was literally made to cash in on the nostalgia £$¥€. Thief was a powerful IP up for grabs.

Now it's forever tainted.

Imagine an amazingly fun game you love dearly and have put hundreds of days into. Imagine a terrible sequel was released, and somehow all copies of that amazing first game simultaneously ceased to exist. The original left a hole in your heart that nothing can fill, and as the years go by you find yourself trying the sequel once again, searching in vain for a little bit of that original feeling, but it doesn't last. You're doomed to be filled with nostalgia for something you can never get back. That's what it's like to be a fan of classic WoW.

Private servers are always in various stages of broken, and are liable to suddenly disappear either due to dev drama or through cease and desist like with the late Nostalrius. I'm too jaded to believe this talk of official classic servers. Blizzard are insanely stubborn. WoW has been getting worse in every way for years now but they keep doubling down and digging another foot of their grave rather than admit they fucked it big time and need to revert a shitload of the increasingly daft changes they've made over the years.

At least they did such a shit job that it will take a very long time for anyone to attempt to anally ravage the franchise once again.

FUCK THIS GAME AND FUCK NINTENDO FOR MAKING ANOTHER ONE

Imagine if the series had continued heading in the direction it seemed to be, the barricading mechanics from Outbreak, the ability to drop items like in 0, while maintaining actual survival horror gameplay. Instead it flipped its lid with RE4 and got exponentially worse from there.

It hurts.

Drakenguard 3

With number 2 they tried to make it more like the annie-mays the spastic teenage chibun fagstines love so much.
With 3 they cranked that garbage to 11 to the point it isn't anything even mildly close to the original.
3 is one big fucking joke.

Anno 2205

People hated 2070.
I loved it.
Most hours played.
With 2205 they made it into babies first simbuilder/RTS.
Casualization doesn't begin to describe it.
It was as if someone at Ubisoft saw Sim City 2013 and said
I'm just glad I pirated so I didn't waste $80 on a piece of shit that tries to make up for its lack of factions and the like with with the crosspollination shit games like Cities XL had.

there will be classic servers as soon as they can design them in a way that feeds more of the users into the current stuff.

Yes it is.

I would easily rank the first FEAR up there with top FPS dogs like Doom, Blood, Quake and so on. As far as the gun "feel" I would even say it's the best, not to mention the AI (sure a lot of it was scripting but it was still effective).

Sequels were a case study in how making a traditionally PC only FPS for consoles can irredeemably fuck it up.

It's funny because when they used to make console only fpses they were perfectly fine, pretty great even with Turok, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye. It was only when they started making FPS for PC and console at the same time that they became awful.

The Japanese and European names for Fatal Frame are fucking retarded.

Fatal Frame is literally the perfect name.

I didn't find Marina to be really manipulative (unless the translation quality made it out to be that way; been a while since I played, but the game does have issues with how the English script flows), more her just being extremely worried about what Ashley had been getting himself into, ranging from fighting terrorists with the rest of the rather small ARMS unit all the way to trying to prevent the destruction of the universe, and not wanting him to be a hero if it meant he'd just come home in a body bag. Admittedly her freak out over Ashley's transformation (with her life being in danger being what actually shifts him from just KnightBlazer to OverKnightBlazer) was a bit harsh, but I don't think he had ever even explained what had happened with him to her, and I can't blame her for not exactly taking her boyfriend being able to turn into a demonic warrior in stride at first. At least she realizes she was in the wrong a while later.

This is true for Resident Evil too. Anyone who seriously thinks the generic "Biohzard" is a better title is a maroon.

Project 8 was the last one I bothered to play

THPS1, Underground, and American Wasteland are my favorites.
Underground has one of the best alt endings iv ever seen. still makes me smile to this day

At least Turok 1 got an updated PC port and 2's port is in the works is the works.

BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Why? That was one of the worst ones.

I thought wasteland was cool too

The only part I even liked about that game was the reference to this.

the story of AW was the one i got the most into.
being able to barrel rolls and front flips.
and it had my personal favorite character creation

I can't say it's the best TH game
but I don't see whats so bad about it

Guild Wars. All the talent jumped ship after Eye of the North and got replaced by SJWs that just wanted to make another WoW clone (even though the original devs were trying to make something that was the EXACT OPPOSITE of WoW).

Worst part is I spent at least $60 on the sequel. I didn't even buy the expansion, at least a third of that $60 was in MTX funny money

D-fens did nothing wrong

Mah nigga. Shit was so comfy. And the music. If only devs weren't so anal about online "competition" shit… Everything was nice about it. The looks, the music, the setting, the gameplay.
And 2205 was terrible. This was a perfect opportunity for them to sell the same dish in different colors, but nope! As if 2070 wasn't casual enough… Glad I didn't fall for it, what a waste hdd resource

The 2013 reboot was pretty good, user

the last games on the PS2 (Dark Mirror port, Omega Strain (nvm, Omega Strain blew dicks), Logan's Shadow) were "fine", but "fine" wasn't apparently enough for Sony, thus leaving it in the corner of abandoned series', never to be touched again before the inevitable "anniversary remake remaster"

Played WA2 the other day. Well finished it. Ashley came back during every break to not only need to console Marina through convo but through hug to let her know how much these breaks mean to him.
Sure in the beginning Marina worries about the job but every consecutive break visit it gets clearer that the job is not what bugs her. It's that he isn't there for her every waking second. No convos about his dangers for her to worry. No convos about lilka being with him more. Just every bresk ashley coming back and marina laying it thick on him that every second he is not around her that she feels he will grow to be another person. For a guy fighting terrorists on a daily basis he does not need his lover to bitch about how he isn't giving her enough attention even though he visits her every fucking break he gets.

It was actually the game that woke me up. Crash: The Wrath of Cortex wasn't as good as the Naughty Dog games but good enough for me. But Enter the Dragonfly, while I honestly still enjoyed what was there, was so short and obviously half assed that it made me realize the series was good because of Insomniac. I mean, I was already following Insomniac and incredibly hyped for Ratchet & Clank, but I figured Spyro could still be good regardless. I was wrong.

Still bought A Hero's Tail, though. Huge fucking mistake. As much flak as Enter the Dragonfly gets, at least they played the old games enough to know the control scheme.

At the very least, Hero's Tail wasn't a buggy and rushed piece of shit. That said, I played it on the Gamecube, which had a much different layout for the face buttons in general, so even with the PS2 version not having flame or charge in the same spot as the prior entries, I was going to have to be learning a different set of controls anyhow (I honestly hadn't known the PS2 version inverted flame and charge before I heard so from other anons).

Hero's Tail wasn't nearly as good as the prior ones, but I will say I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

I don't know if someone already posted this, but I feel like Jade Cocoon 2 killed any hope for a series.

I suppose it might need to be worth saying I meant the PS1 entries with that.

+++An unshakeable faith in the Immortal Emperor of Man can overcome any barriers+++

I think in some cases people want to see new iterations on underutilized ideas. I'd like to see people try more cool shit with Arena Shooters and Tribes-style games, or even with some of the ideas/mechanics of Monster Rancher. Unfortunately new shooters are required by law to be slow, boring and loadout-based, and games that dont fit neatly into a genre aren't allowed

The only instances I can think of where money was spent on a shit sequel were Star Ocean 3 and 4, and Unlimited SaGa. I also wasn't a huge fan of Dark Cloud 2 but will probably give it another chance at some point. Otherwise, shit got ruined but at least I didn't end up spending time or money on it

What's painful now is discovering more ruined franchises. I don't want to want more SMT when all they're going to be waifu garbage.
That and franchises that are only going to sporadically show up in the west, like SaGa and Yakuza

That's EYE 2, not Quake/Doom. I'm looking forward to it, but for entirely different reasons

Fair enough.

Though for fast combat we're getting a Shadow Warrior 2 this year I think.

This could actually be a year with several good FPS in it.

Just not Doom…

The worst thing is Activision owning all these IPs and not doing shit with them

Fuck Electronic Arts. They bought Origin, then rushed U7:P2 - with plenty of plot bugs never fixed.
I refuse to play games that charge me every month, so fuck UO.

I've only seen one video about the series but this single
picture makes me feel sorry for every Breath of Fire fan in existence.

I didn't even like Fire Emblem that much but Awakening and Fates were all that I needed to convince me that the series is dead.

I'm disgusted to say that I had to sit here for a while before I finally remembered.

Shake It felt like a slower sonic game. The most appealing thing about the game was Syrup's rack.
It's a shame that Wario Land had to be dragged back out of it's half-open grave just to be covered in anime shit, and then be immediately shoved back in and forgotten.
I'm still glad that it didn't live on to become that shit though.

Star Ocean 1 was the only good Star Ocean.

Star Ocean 2, perhaps if you played the PSX version in comparison to the SNES version, might be passable - but on PSP, it's just more of the exact same game as Star Ocean 1 except with worse character and shittier storyline.

Star Ocean 3 was dumbed down as fuck, but the story and characters were ok up until the 4D bullshit.

Star Ocean 4 was irredeemable trash on pretty much every account, except maybe the art design. I did like the look of it.

Star Ocean 5 is looking to be even worse than Star Ocean 4 is the nip reviews are anything to go by.

TriAce also managed to fuck up Phantasy Star Nova on a level that hasn't been witnessed since PSIII:Generations of Doom, despite having a wealth of existing content to draw on from PSO2 and two prime examples of how to do a handheld Phantasy Star game right in AlfaSystems PSP & PSP2/Infinity.

I haven't played Valkyrie Profile on the PSX/PSP yet, and Resonance of Fate was passable, but aside from maybe those two examples - I'd write off TriAce altogether as a shovelware company.

Warioware taking over Wario's identity just makes me numb.

Shake It wasn't that bad but the removal of most transformations made a lot of the levels bland in design.

I've accepted every series I love in this industry will turn to complete shit. Just hoping that Persona and Yakuza continue to keep me satisfied. Because every other series I know has basically died or turn to shit.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Deus Ex and Shadow Warrior. And Nioh seems pretty fun.
But other than that, not a whole lot compared to back when I was still in high school.
I would love to see a sequel to E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy and Dead Island 2, even with the previous flaws within those games.

And surprisingly, Dying Light was really fun.

has no one mentioned rollercoaster tycoon?

give me a third and dont fuck it up, sega

dont sonic boom it

Got around to playing both again and I'll concede that I enjoyed 5(having an overprotective redheaded cowgirl helped), though I would have liked the characters from previous games having more involvement than just cameos.

that can't be real…

>the story literally has you kill off the protag of the first game because he's so sick of living that he's willing to end the world

It was enjoyable but I found it near impossible to go back to.

Seriously, I was playing on ps1, but this "next gen ps2" was slogging through loading that i thought was only possible in wrestling games. hardly got anywhere due to the loading being so jarringly long.

As for my series.

Spellforce
1 was great. Sure it had issues like your healers running to the front because melee, underpowered MC because you can't be arsed to find the npc selling the spell or eq you'd need, or the part where you build a gazillion towers and just leave the game running for a day to collect tons of items to sell.
But the asynchronous races that still would work together greatly (like elves swimming in wood and archers and having shitty food production and melee, where drawfs and humans help), aswell as just how great it was to build a huge ass base and walk through it in 3rd person (unless elves, where you just see a bunch of trees).
Then they made 2 and goddamm did they throw all that away.
Sure, the magical staffs now actually autocasting a weak but free spell instead of being bad melee weapons is great, but just throwing all light and dark races into two headquarters, the light one looking like a fucking Disney castle, was sooo boring.
Also muh oppressed dark elv wimin being superior spellcasters and the one to tell you that is an assassin with twin blades

Liked that one orc chief praising the sun though.

Yes it can.

It wasn't enough to deform him. No, they had to deform him and humiliate him by taking away his spinoff series and then leaving him on the curb to die.

Rebel Strike was fucking trash. Fucking on foot segments with literally, not figuratively, the worst fucking lock on and shooting controls ever. These stupid segments ruined all of the game.

Han Solo was never competent. Watch Empire again for fucksake.

Never Forget, Holla Forums.

It's like they forgot they already made one for DS.

I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. The control scheme is just the tip of the iceburg. Of course it is important anyway, because I want to be able to charge practically all the time and jump easily while charging. Charge is much more important than flame, and the original control scheme worked for that. The fact that they changed it is evidence they didn't even get it. Just shows how little they played the original games. other things, like the way Gems work, also make me think they just watched some videos of the original games or something. They missed the whole point. Just not as bad as the games that came after them. At least Enter the Dragonfly played like Spyro, just a short, rushed Spyro.

With WA5 being an anniversary title, I was happy enough that they had cameos of the prior games party members for sidequests, and seeing everyone from prior games again was fun in itself. I can understand if Media.Vision wanted the plot to still remain standalone though, rather than requiring people to play WA1-4 first to understand it. Though I will say that if they had chosen to do it the other way, At least with Wild Arms every single game in the series came west, at least to the US (PAL got shafted on WA2 and ACF), so it wouldn't be as annoying as a franchise where the west might have missed half the games or so.

I can't beat Warioland II without crying during the credits.

Goddamn that's a good game.

Considering how the autistic BoF fanbase shat on BoF:DQ, I was extremely happy to see Capcom response to the community with BoF6.

Congratulation.

The list of game series that hasn't turned to shit would be shorter than this thread.

Everything from my childhood has been corrupted. I guess Kirby is still alright.
pretty much this.

Fire Emblem got really shit really fast.

Even the dead didn't obtain peace from this evil. Fuck Square.

Just Gearbox. Brothers in Arms is still my favorite shooter, then Gearbox did everything they could to destroy their reputation.
At least I was never a Bioware fan.
Needless to say, Konami fucked us hard, worse than normal.

You know honestly? The second one was pretty great on its own right - as a spinoff. Well, I did like harkening back to Levant but…

Man, the first one is short when you know how to swing through but all dem childhood memories…

I remember having the playstation magazine that had the walk through long before I even got the game. I had played that demo so much…

I have been looking for that magazine ever since. I loved it, loved the maps for resident evil, silent hill…

Fuck articles, was all about that shit and cheat codes.

IT BURRRRRNS