Classic Dark Souls Thread

Some of us need a job for and upgrade and other stuff, so, let's talk DaS, I see DaS3 has tons of good fixes but let's do what we can with stuff we have.

Multiplayer is still mostly down right? also, is Bloodbite Ring + Lifehunt Scythe a good combination or you think is a waste of a ring slot? I personally struggle since I am tired of depending of Havel's Ring for mobility.

Original thread posted at the end of the chans, let's see how it goes here until the site dies or something, I'll miss this place.

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/?
nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/446/?
wulf2k.ca/PC/DaS/DSCM.html
mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/armor
gamezone.com/originals/9-games-that-are-the-dark-souls-of-their-genre
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995027467/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bimp…

There is no point in DeS or DS1 anymore, since DS3 is basically an upgraded and enhanced fine mixture of DeS and DS1.

So yeah, upgrade your shit or get one of those Bloodborne machines.

I think just the blood shield and red moss are more than enough to help stave off the bleed effect.
You are not supposed to flail wildly onto something until the bleed hits you anyways.

The problem is the final stability of the Blood Shield, is not exactly the best, also, the Four Kings really eat a lot of hits and I was almost bleeding with the ring.

I think 4Kings are inmune to bleed though, so that would explain the situation.
And isn't the final stability like 65? that sounds good enough for a medium shield, considering the already present bonus.
It also has decent fire reduction.

I know they are immune to bleed, but the damage was still pretty decent, the fight was long regardless, I usually go for shields with a final stability of 70, I would use Balder's but Fashion Souls is my doom, not to mention is heavier.

Just use the shield, then switch to the ring when you're fighting a boss that may actually get the bleed meter that high, like the 4 Kings.

Use the Great Scythe against them instead. It's essentially the same move set but a bit quicker. You can also resin it and use Power Within which deals great damage. Just remember the Kings are resistant or immune to poison, toxin, bleeding and curse. Fire, lightning and Magic work well enough. You can also use Beatrice as an aggro dummy if you used her for the Butterfly and don't want to deal with them. I usually do since they're my least favorite boss after Izaliths.

I've been thinking about using the Lifehunt for Kalameet since I'm on NG+3 and he's giving me some trouble with his insanely high HP. But I don't see anything about his resistances for bleed on the wiki so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to upgrade. I'm a dex build so it should be worth it.

Is this bait? DS3 is probably decent but I doubt it could compare in level/enemy design, lore. It's certainly not an upgrade. Especially if you enjoy playing offline like I do.

Yep, that's what I will use now for certain parts, I also got Queelag's Fury Sword just in case, I got a Silver Knight Spear for Catacombs, now I need to find a decent Lightning trusting weapon for Archives.

If you do dex I'm told the Demon Spear has the highest base lightning damage. It also has the farthest reach of any other weapon.

Though if you're like me and have high faith (>42) Ornsteins Dragonslayer Spear's lightning stacks with faith and deals the most lightning damage. The move set is kind of shit though so you might just be better off with the Demon Spear.

No I genuinely think that gameplay-wise DS3 is superior to both DS1 and DeS in every way.
I enjoy both PvE and PvP hundreds time more in DS3.

As far as lore and visual design go it's all subjective and can't really be argued about.
I personally think that DS1 has beautiful lore and strong characters in bosses and off-screen personas, and DS3 just rides on it without doing anything new.
But I play games for gameplay, not lore or story.

Is a DEX build so I guess it will be demon spear.

It's alive and well for ps3 fags

Why is it down for PC then? I mean, yeah, different services but I still don't get it, tinfoil hat wearers say FromSoft/Bandai is playing dirty to force people to buy DaS3, I would if I could, but I can't anyway.

it's not tho
a lot of PVP

Isn't classic Dark Souls actually Demon Souls?

Also, don't go online in dark souls 3 until From gives a confirmation that the account banning other people trick is fixed.

PS4 bros have nothing to worry about as always.

I want co-op, hell, I missed on helping a lot of friends and people because the thing refused to connect, even while changing download regions and all.

Nope, Demon's Souls is Demon's Souls and DaS1 is classic DaS, that's it, is like calling the Classic Xbox the "Xbox One" and all.

ya need that ini fix my boi
nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/?
couple it with a few basic texture enhancements and this game looks great. takes about 15-20 minutes of manual modding, but its definitely worth.

online for ps3 has always been more active from what I have heard And considering I get non stop invasions every day I can't disagree

I am using DSFix, what are you talking about?

Have you done any tweaking with the .ini file?
Also, this-
nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/446/?
His install video will walk you through what values need to be adjusted.

DSfix allows you to replace textures and tweak graphics settings, like unlocking the fps for starters

DS2-3 fag here

Should I play DS1 ?
What are my odds of finishing the game with no multiplayer ?

Yes. It's the most solid game in the franchise save maybe DeS which I'm not familiar with.

cancer

DeS > all DaS

If you have a PS3, get it and play it. There's still some co-op and invasions, not a lot but it's by far the best in the whole series.

If you're on PC and haven't done so already, get the Dark Souls Connectivity Mod: wulf2k.ca/PC/DaS/DSCM.html

You can use this to connect to SPECIFIC people as long as you know their Steam account.

I genuinely want to get some SL70 Fightclubs going in Painted World because of it, or some form of throwback to the piggu events.

I think he's assuming you aren't using it since the OP image is cropped to 1024x576

Why did you only play the worst two games out of the five?

Well DS1 really annoyed me with it's control scheme and no keyboard keys on menus. I had to guess everything and by the first bonfire I uninstalled it on my first try. It was a pirated version.

A friend pretty much dragged me into playing ds2 and explained some shit for me.

It went on from there.

Don't own any consoles either and at that time demon's souls wasn't emulatable.

Ah yes, I actually replaced some textures and customized my HUD among other things, I unlock the framerate and cap it at 30 so it is consistent everywhere, why?

Done it, coupled with PvPWD I still get zero nodes most of the time, it would be useful if I knew where to find people when I get nodes.

DaS1 is better than DaS2 in most of the stuff.

Nodes aren't location based, there's something interfering with the connection on your end.

Run DS without the connection mod or watchdog, check for blood spots and orange messages (evidence of nodes). Once you've done that, make sure you're running the most updated version of both watchdog and the connection mod.

Personally, I'm not yet playing it because it'll have DLC, and as such I'm waiting for the eventual version with all DLC included. Why buy a game sooner when you can get the same game and more later for the same price?

To be honest my computer almost certainly needs an upgrade to play it at max settings too, but even if it was brand new I still have that all-or-nothing rule about games with DLC.

:^)

From what I hear DeS and DaS are pretty equally rated. A lot of people I talk to usually side with DaS while another group tends to go for DeS. I think most people tend to enjoy the one they played first.

But I wouldn't say that DeS is factually better. Even if I havn't played it I think the fact that there's a schism kind of proves that both have a very dedicated fanbase and that they're both pretty solid games.

The only absolute shitty thing about DaS's control scheme are the kick/jump attack buttons being so fucking annoying to execute. Same with jumping. With practice you can get them down but there was no reason they couldn't have just made it better. I don't know if they fix it in 2 or 3 but it's a pain.

Jump gets relocated to L3, so it does get fixed.

I guess it's made less shit at least.

I played DaS first and ended up liking DeS better, so that's not necessarily true. The people who prefer DaS invariably care about the multiplayer at least equally as much as the singleplayer.

DeS is frequently used to stir up console wars shit.

The actual game had many awful areas full of damage sponge enemies such as most of World 2 with the fatmen and World 5 with its trekking through actual shit. That's not even going into bosses such as the stormruler and dragon god that were close to just being extended cutscenes. There were also quite a few horseshit enemies like the reapers in World 4 and anything black phantom. World tendency was a good idea on paper but unfortunately drop rates on items were Korean MMO tier which meant ephemeral eyes were few and far between unless you did what every single person playing the game did and duped them by abusing a bug. Not even going to go into pure bladestone and having a choice between farming black phantom skeletons or reloading your save for that one crystal lizard 500 times.

The multiplayer in DeS was probably the worst it has ever been with shit like scraping spears, grass chomping and babby nail shittery eclipsing even the worst bullshit going on in DaS3. Meanwhile co-op just degraded the summoner sitting back and grazing on 5 kinds of grass with an adjudicator shield and second chance running.

I think when people say they like Demon's Souls they're talking about World 1, 3 and 4-1 which were great but at least half the game was incredibly tedious and had legit I Wanna be the Guy tier traps.

Like DaS1 it starts out decent and has some really good areas but falls apart towards the end assuming you play the worlds in order excluding the archdemon fog behind the tower knight you can't cross before beating another world. The entire series has ended up as just being rushed games and wasted potential.

Still, no signs, messages, nothing, that's what I meant, when I get connections it is still hard to know where and what kind of players I can encounter, but that's a design flaw on DaS in general.

So a question for optimal fags.

I main light armor and weapon builds (anything that makes my carry load

Maybe Black Leather?

I started and finished the game with the Tattered set. Once around +9/10 it become almost as efficient as Havel's.

For the Thief set?

The set is lighter but offers less protection by around 1 point each article. Though it looks cool

It's sorta the same issue. The Tattered set offers better fire and magic def but less physicle and lightning.

Sorry if I sound like a min/max fag I'm just tired of the wanderer set as I've been using it for every character and NG+ run and I want to use something a bit better to prepare me for NG+4

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/armor
I'll shut up now since I just found this link.

Rate my fashion Holla Forums.

Child Mask
Sage Robe
Wanderers Manchete
Xanthous Waistcloth

It should be the most optimal build for what I'm going for but my secondary goal is to look fabulous so I might look for something to replace the Sage Robe.

Moonlight Robe or Leeroy's robe maybe.

So you're either really, really terrible, or you pirated the game.

noice

The Moonlight Robe might go well with the Gold Xanthous. I might try it right before I head on to the next NG. If I use it I lose out about 6 physical defense points though. Which isn't that bad. Leeroy's armor is to heavy. I might consider boosting my endurance a few points though since it would help quite a bit. It's almost 8 pounds heavier though so it might be a bit more effort than it's worth.

I stopped liking and grew bored of PvP about a year in to the games life. So I just stopped playing online.

Though since I stopped using steam so I also pirated the game. After I already bought it twice

I second this, you can camp in the burg or in the forest if you are lvl 200+ and you will get tons of pvp in ps3 also if you stick to lvl 120 is even better

child mask is ugly, but the wanderers hood might be nice, and witch robe is a lot nicer than that robe

my lvl 102 build gets a lot of action and when it doesn't my lvl 64 build gets non stop action

You're not wrong with the child's mask. But it's also extremely beneficial to my stamina and I don't want to have a build with the fathers head piece. If my focus is more on defense then I wear the Brigand head piece as it offers the best physical defense.

Its absolutely not your letting your $60 cloud your mind.

How is playing single player casual faggot?
You don't get to summon 2+ summons.

yeah, I'm more of a fashion first kind of guy. Even when I beat the game at lvl 4 I prioritized fashion over good armor.

Attention Whoring self-felating post

I made this build a 2-3 years back. High int, no spells, its used for pumping damage into enchanted weapons which both have bleed.

One is for PvE which is the Painting Sword which inflicts bleed and can shit out damage.

For PvP barbed straight sword for phantom range and lightning +5 thorned shield to break poise.

Well when you're a dexterity build It's a bit harder to go for looks over stats I would imagine.

Strength might be better for damage but god damn if I don't love being a glass cannon that can flip all over the place. Though I could be wrong and maybe you're a dex build as well. I run this game on a shitty rig so I have to deal with frame rate drops and lag spike. I can't really afford a fair boss battle when I go from 30FPS to 10 whenever they boss deals a soul crushing attack that can 1hit kill me.

Jesus. I can tell you went for the stacks. I might consider doing the same with a new build except I might use dark magic for PvE purposes since it deals so much damage.

DeS>DaS=BB>DaS3>shit>Lords of the Fallen:^)>DaS2

Because there is zero risk. Singleplayer Souls games are simple pattern recognition. They're fun, but they're not difficult in any way once you've learned your enemies.

Invaders throw a wrench in that and keep it genuinely exciting.

Fags who whine about PVP are always proved to be sour grape pirates, or PVE shitters who can't handle real risk.

DaS>DaS3>BB>>>DeS>>>>>>>>>DaS2

I didn't lvl up that playthrough so I wouldn't call it a dex or strength build, more of a base stats build and I was able to flip as well thanks to the favor ring

If I had the pc version of this I would pvp the shit out of you

See above I've played plenty of PvP to tell your full of shit.
Let me guess you equate yourself worth to accomplishments in videogames?
Guess some kids just never grow up :^)

ajj fucking lmau

If you really want to min and max take a look at the wiki and look at weapons that give good scaling with fth or int.
I never liked grinding as much as I did killing moonlight butterflies with 12 humanity to get a blue slab or chunk.

Please don't piss in my coke Mr.Chinese man.

of those 12 Humanity only 10 make effect, did you use the Gold Serpent Ring?

I was guessing on how much humanity.
Of course, it would of been a nightmare otherwise.

There's not much reason to go past 1 humanity unless you're sure you're not going to lose it any time soon. See pic related for reason why.

the slabs I think have a 2% drop rate so every bit helps.
There was usually no way to die either running there as its easy to roll under the crystal golems.
You can always pick them as well, and there is always rat farming if you need humanity.

Stop being a PvP faggot faggot. DS1 was full of nothing but backstab fishers with shitty netcodes and hackers. The PvP was boring and shit and this is 2 years of playing it successfully talking. I got a decent fight every now and then but it wasn't ever worth it in the end. If you want to whine about it go to the DaS3 thread where it's actually still alive.

Early game depths runs will net you 1 humanity every ~40 seconds on average, and you'll gain more than enough souls to comp a bone each run.

Late-game you can farm a fuckpile of humanity from the little humanity dudes before manus.

Well if you don't own the DLC rat farming was the best way to farm. But the Manus update is the best way to go.

That's still 9 humanity you're betting on a single life. And I've never had as much success as ~40 per second with rats or humanity blobs. In any case it's best not to waste that much when you already have put 50% on one of them. that extra 60 points just doesn't seem worth 9 more humanities when the gold ring already deals an extra 200. It's just not efficient.

counter bsing is pretty easy and the net code is weirdly consistent. The hackers are really annoying though.

What armor is that on VN?

You only lose 1 humanity when you die, and since you play in singleplayer there is zero risk of invasion and basically no risk of death unless your batteries die or something.

Farming shit like the swag sword without a full 10 humanity is fucking miserable and takes so much longer than just going and getting another 10 humanity if you somehow majorly fuck up twice and lose it all.

I've ran into maybe 5 hackers in the hundreds upon hundreds of invaders (and hosts) I've killed over the years. Instead of blaming non-existent hackers and backstab fishers for your inadequacies, how about you git gud and learn to play? That way you not only won't worry about carrying 10+ humanity on you at all times because you know you won't fuck up twice, but you'll have fun pvping the scrubs who try to fuck your shit up.

your disbelief doesn't make it any less real, I wish I could get that 30 minutes back

I have heard there is less hacking on the pc version but you are full of shit about the bs fishers. The forest is deserted because they ruined it

I think my point is that if you're farming humanity that the extra 60 points of loot chance isn't worth it in the long run. though I guess that's just the way I play. I'm a bit more safe with my humanity since I hate farming.

I played PvP and got sick of the bullshit from the fanbase. If you're so adamant that it makes the game better or more enjoyable then fine, but I didn't have that experience despite winning most of my battles despite the faggots I had to deal with most of the time. My experience wasn't yours but I find it hard to believe you're not bullshitting your way past the backstab fishing point.

In any case the thread isn't dealing with PvP. It's a tacked on unbalanced addition to the game that I could care less about. The PvE scene is perfectly enjoyable for people who enjoy the NG+ challenges it brings and want to deal with a formidable consistency to the games mechanics. If you think you're such a pro then fuck off to the DS3 thread and brag about your PvP stats there.

Cirians set

I have cheated on PC, not much for PvP except on earlier days where I was basically being "farmed" and other stuff, I usually went for extra items to cut the farming myself but recently I am just going legit since I found out only a bunch of weapons are worth upgrading.

However BS fishers and some suspicious 1HKO players have popped up left and right before the multiplayer went down, mostly BS fishers, I heard the sequels made the backstabs avoidable.

Its avoidable on 1 if you wear thorns or know how to circle bs

When it comes to PvP I prefer to go cheap (no cheating nowadays), for that reason I prefer to be a Forest Hunter and overall a "ganker", poison, bleed, mob training, I hate backstab fishing, I have also cosplayed a few times.

What I mean is, the backstab animation is not final and you can still escape once you get caught.

I know DaS has a ring that blocks a single backstab attempt. So the first thing PvP players did was farm hundreds of that ring so they could negate the fishing faggorty and actually play the game.

DaSII*

I am stuck on Ornstein and Smoug and refuse to resort to summoning. I can get Ornstein down to about 2 full bars every other fight through using the pillar to block Smoug.

Most of the difficulty in this fight feels like its them being able to both stab/swing through each other and not being able to keep both of them in the camera.

Any advice?

beating them at level 4 was a pain in the ass but I learned a valuable lesson, smough takes more damage so go for him and only use jumping attacks

Focusing on Smough is easier, to have them both on camera is just a matter of walking backwards and circling, that way they will line up, Ornstein is still a pain in the ass with his dashing and him being able to hit you through Smough.

Summoning is fun, if you meant Solaire he is cannon fodder, remember, Smough hates lightning/holy and Ornstein hates fire/dark.

I'm genuinely curious as to how you haven't figured out you can cod+bdcr+pw and hit them for ~80% of their hp mid-roll with great combustion when they try to fish you because it has ridiculous active damage frames. Dex/Pyro eats fishers for breakfast. Try playing unlocked for a while, you'll see how easy those shitters really are.

You could just admit that you're bad at pvp and don't enjoy it and that would be the end of it, instead of complaining about how bad it is and making all kinds of excuses.

If someone is bad at the game and can't get by without summons, hey, whatever, that's their deal. When they complain about ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY being the reason they're "forced" to use summons to kill bosses, then I'm obviously going to call them on their shit.

What? Gower's? That shit got nerfed a while ago, and it was never good to begin with. When it was at full power you still had retarded shit like batfogging, grs 1shots and pre-nerf defender greatsword.

Pyromancy. Go farm the phalanx slimes in painted world until you can max out your flame and just destroy one of them from range and then you can wreck the other one with melee (or more pyromancy, I won't judge).

the laggy hitbox for combust feels cheap so I dont use it. As for unlocked bs, I do it all the time pro tip, if you parry before a bs it increases your chances of getting a bs, especially after a kick of stun

I was under the impression Ornstein would be harder to fight after killing Smoug than the other way around.

Smough is just a heavy hitter but very predictable, Ornstein has too many cheap attacks in both forms.

Do you have dark souls for ps3? I have the feeling you're really shitty at pvp or really cheap based off your advice. I would like to wreck your shit

Aye. It's the pair together that gives me the most trouble. It's terribly easy to roll-dodge either of them, but when you roll dodge lightning right into a one-two hit from charging Smoug who was just to the left…

You can use the standard GIANT HUMANOID CASTRATION position on Ornstein once he gets huge and he's easy as fuck.

Smough's empowered "shovel" attack (where he runs with his mace in front of him) has a hitbox that is like ~30 feet in front of the model. It's pure fucking AIDS. Kill Smough first.

I'm not making any excuses. I was good at PvP and got bored because faggots took the easy route and decided to hack and backstab fish because of the developers incompetency.

I usually dealt with it by stacking buffs and optimal strength or dex builds to deal shitloads of damage paired with Dark Magic. It wasn't fun and I stopped playing it. There's not much more to explain. It got boring and you're only keeping up with this bullshit to try to stay relevant in the discussion. DaSI wasn't primarily made for PvP and it was never anything amazing to begin with. Move on or take my advice and take it to where it's actually relevant in the DaSIII thread.

Once again I didn't have whatever experience you did with PvP. Stop instigating discussion over it.

If anything magic is harder to use on Smough when he decides to sweep just as you are done casting a spell, the hammer blocks everything in fron of him, I hate the DnD style mana system in Dark Souls, I heard is gone in DaS3.

It's actually kind of funny how well the area leading up to them is. If you get stuck on O&S, you end up fighting those two giant sentinel assholes in the corridor before a lot, and you end up practicing dodge-rolling and walking between their legs to fuck em up.

Mustard race. My most recent console was purchased 16 years ago :^)

ayy lmao, you're a fucking joke.

Not only do you have a regular mana bar in DaS3, but you can equip an offhand with Simple infusion which allows you to regen your focus points.

Downside, magic is maybe 1/10th as strong as it is in DaS.

Shame all of the bosses in 3 are super easy, and there's no neat level quirks like that.

fine, then post your build

I'm only up to S&O, haven't visited basically any of the optional places yet and I could already write a thousand word essay on good design for Dark Souls and how its constantly teaching you.
And another for the shit design choices

That's a bummer, I like regular combat, but I have always been more fond of magic users.

As for the bosses, I refused to buy DaS2 after seeing how they resorted to just adding multiple enemies and cheap last frame pivots instead of more dynamic enemies, well, that and the horrible graphical downgrade… the world layout… meh, I think the only good thing coming from DaS2 was the cloth physics.

What makes me cry is Manus using dark magic, sometimes is hard to time the pendant correctly, also Sif is useless, I have never seen him deal as much damage as any other summon in the game.

Oh boy, you're in for a real treat with Lost Izaluth :^)

I recommend hitting up the DLC next, it's seriously 10/10.

I'd be able to overlook all of that shit if they hadn't added soul memory and limited respawns, but those two mechanics just kill 2 for me I still bought it twice like a good goy, though.

OnS are hard for several different reasons. It's mainly mental though. Primarily during to second phase when one of them is dead. Prior to that though it's just being able to manage both of them at once and getting a handle on their move sets enough to predict what's coming next. I suggest using Power Within or some sort of buff that one of them is weak against to deal a bit extra damage to them. Orinstein is weak against Occult weapons while Smough is weak against fire I think so consider maybe using fire resin against Smough.

The real challenge comes when you kill one of them and you start to stress about the upcoming battle. But in reality both enemies are more easy to manage and deal with than both of them at once. By that point you just need to keep a level head and deal damage when appropriate.

If you want the easy route kill Ornstein first. Smoughs hammer charge might seem shitty but siderolling it is easy enough if you have the timing down and that move has a lot of frames afterwards where you can deal a lot of damage. I learned to treat him like a slightly less AoE focused Asylum demon and it works for me.

If you kill Smough first then you're in a bit more trouble. the best advice is to just stay close to him though. Most of his moves can't hit you if you're right below him save for a few such as the buttslam and a few others. The wiki explains it better than I do. Just be smart and you should kill him easily enough. The best advice is to just play smart and not overly safe though. The best defense in DaS is offence. Get close and personal and deal enough damage while also abusing the invincibility frames of rolling.

If you have nothing of substance or value to say don't say anything at all.

Fucking Bed of Chaos is the only boss that breaks the pacing completely.

in reality (one enemy is)* more easy to manage and deal with than both of them at once

I'm really tired and a bit drunk.

Can an user give me the picture of article "the souls games of their series"

Don't do this to this thread. Please.

I see what people mean with the term soulsfags now after reading this thread, so much overcomplexation going on in such a simple game.

I just actually want it because I dont have it saved.

I like to compare soulsfags to memers because they're basically equivalent.

FOUND IT

gamezone.com/originals/9-games-that-are-the-dark-souls-of-their-genre

Am I the only one who just thinks the Souls series is just a 3D version of what Castlevania used to be in general? they are just kind of "hard" for today's standards but I am certainly tired of hearing "souls-like" and "the dark souls of X" here and there.

Well dark souls is artificially difficult so there isn't any difficulty at all really. People shouldn't sperg out because of a non-functioning game.

The only "artificial difficulty" in DaS1 at least would be BoC and a few hitboxes (like a Sentinel's shield smash lingering for like 3 seconds), other than that is just timing attacks, defense and patterns.

I don't understand, isn't Dark Souls the Dark Souls of fantasy RPGs?

well I am mostly referring to DaS 2 and DaS 3

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Bloodborne (- mandatory cursed chalice dungeon to 100% the game), DaS1, and DeS.

There's plenty of shit that doesn't make sense that you could easily call artificial difficulty.
I'm sure there's more, but sometimes its hard to pick that stuff from the 'you need a guide to know this or just stumble on it experimenting' for figuring out how to modify weapons. Or was that explained somewhere in game that I never found?

I prefer unreasonable difficulty, since "artificial difficulty" is such a nebulous term.
If you summon a phantom, your attacks do indeed ignore each other, and certain weapons can clip terrain instead of getting bounced, but I understand where you're coming from.

The core issue is that in a 1v1, it's pretty simple to watch your enemy's attacks and find an opening to counter. You also know when and where to roll. Throw in a second enemy, especially one that is particularly aggressive and has long range attacks, and the entire system of methodically finding an opening and countering pretty much goes out the window and your options quickly dwindle to backpedaling and getting in a fast poke, preferably with a spear (or a spell) in one of the tiny openings when both of the enemies aren't constantly attacking.

I would classify that as unreasonable, and that's something all Souls games have a problem with.

That can definitely be annoying if you're fighting two of them.

I would guess that as denizens of Sen's Fortress, they know where the traps are and would normally step over them, but either by developer laziness or technical reasons, they don't animate that. They are harmed by traps, at least.

Problem is, I know where the traps are too and I don't get the option.
I understand where you're coming from on 'artificial difficulty'. It's not like its been clearly defined somewhere and then universally agreed on

Use the red tears stone ring and a weapon with enough poise-break to stun Ornstein. I hope this wembs looks alright and actually gets posted.

That's a pretty risky strategy. But magnificently ballsy

goddamn user

The best thing about having a low level character at ng+whatever is summoning people to help you clear an 'easy' level. funnily enough new players normally did better than the more experienced twinks in their full havels. Probably because they weren't as cock sure and didn't just run in expecting to 1 shot everything. I stopped doing it when the flow of new players started to dry up.

TL;DR: Invading can be fun

Sorry for samefagging but I forgot to ask: How it's possible that the host and a red phantom were down in DarkMoon Tomb without activating the rotating bridge first?

It reminds me, I am a big fan of the Ring of Fog and there is this channeler in Duke's Archives that is on top of a ledge, it sees me even when I am at the bottom of the level, for reference, if I go upstairs one level there is another channeler that doesn't even see me but the earlier one keeps shooting at me.

He might have been hacking and just warped to the tomb bonefire.

I was playing on PSTriple, if ot makes a difference

bump

Doesn't that prevent you from beating the game? I thought that put you stuck in the painted world forever.

also lewd

nevermind…
I should have watched to the end

I haven't tested it but I think you can still be invaded if you do that glitch. so eh might be funny to have an invader walk in on that.

Chaos weapons + Humanity grinding annihilates them

Normally I would agree, but the balance is so fucking terrible. There has never been worse build variety. Magic is dogshit, most of the weapons are trash, and greatshields are SOMEHOW overpowered. And all this would be fixed if they just turned on fucking poise, because it is literally turned off currently for players.

It is so frustrating because if the balance wasn't so god-awful in almost every way then it would easily be the best PVP and PVE experience of the series, and the problems were changes, not reoccuring.

There is no poise anymore? so anything literally staggers you?

poise only works while you're attacking.

You mean it only works to not interrupt my own attacks? that explains the magic nerf which is stupid since I would rather have enough skill to know when to time castings and all.

Remember how heavy weapons used to send you flying in Demon's Souls?
Did they ever bring that back?

in 2

I miss that, that made it comparable to the fast weapons in that game due to zero poise

Some weapons in Bloodborne had a knockdown effect when fully charged.

Too bad they also removed ragdolls in DaS2, did they come back in DaS3?

yes

Universally the best areas in Dark Souls 1 had tons of multiple enemy encounters. The games are ONLY hard with multiple enemies. Once you fight an enemy once, it will basically never be hard again 1v1. Can this fucking meme die once and for all?

getting swarmed sure is great, that's why dark souls 2 was so good

Every game had constant encounters with multiple enemies, Dark Souls II was just the dumbest in the way it set them up.

fixed, and matty even stated that groups are better when they're weak or have zere poise, he just doesn't want something like black knights or darkwraiths ganking you

dark souls 2 is no better or worse than the rest of the series
they're all forgettable 6/10's and i'll keep posting that until dumb fucking memers try to assert otherwise
go ahead and say something about shadman now
memes are all you know, right?

jesus reddit fag, relax. I was just pointing out how you were wrong

It really didn't, and if you think it did you need to replay the other games, you will almost always be fighting more than one enemy at a time.

He's right, which is why I said Dark Souls II was the dumbest in the way it set them up, because they threw you against mobs of hollows carrying shields with high stability right from the get go. And it's why he's right to say that but wrong when his fans come and say that the combat is just built for 1v1.

maybe you should learn how IDs work before you call other people reddit

:^)

Matosis wasn't entirely against multiple enemies. He mainly said that to prove his point in the DaS2 review that getting swarmed usually led to tedious and boring encounters that were "hard". Usually placed right before the boss rooms.

His main reasoning for why adding multiple enemies was hard anyway was because the lock on mechanic wasn't dependable enough to juggle the enemies. This is what NG+ is for anyway. The combat works BEST for 1v1 but multiple enemies are fine if implemented correctly.

dark souls was built for more than just 1v1's that's apparent just by mere fact that there are 2v2's and more in the game but it works best for 1v1s which is why they're a focus

"I enjoy it so it is objectively superior"

Kill yourself shill. Magic is shit, armor is pointless, weapons are unbalanced, enemy design is shit-tier, and level design never improved beyond the first three areas.

true
objectively wrong

Yep. we've tested it: the poise stat, despite being in the game, does NOTHING.

Prove it faggot.

Do I have to do this AGAIN? I should make a copypasta of this shit.
1 has the best first half, which means a lot. It also has a lot of more memorable NPCs and bosses and locations. The online is the worst in the series, and half the covenants don't fucking work, or do nothing. And, you know, the second half of the game, the more important half, is a shit sandwich, and then you get to the last boss and oops guess what he sucked balls not hard or satisfying whatsoever.
2 has the least memorable(maybe, we'll see) single player. The level design is average, maybe a little below that, the bosses are eh, and so are the NPCs. With that said, everything works. Any build you want to make, or covenant you want to join, you just go for it and you won't have any problems. It has the most weapons and play styles that are fun and unique. It has the best PvP which whether you like it or not is a huge deal to both From and most of the player base. And anyone complaining about hitboxes is a fucking retard, all that shit was fixed long ago.
3 is the middle of the road, or worse, everywhere. The story is bland nostalgia grabbing bullshit, the NPCs are mostly forgettable with a couple exceptions like Karla and Greirat and Yorshka, the bosses are too easy, online is a mother fucking complete joke. Besides that, two of the covenants are exactly the fucking same, poise does nothing, magic is shit, armor is shit, everything is poorly scaled for builds(lightning and crystal are the best infusions 85% of the time, soul arrow does more damage than homing crystal soulmass, twin weapons do less damage than sword and board), and there are sections of the game that are fucking begging for DLC like the weird dragons outside Grand Archives and whatever the fuck was up with Oceiros.

If they fix 3 it'll break the mold but you're a fucking faggot for thinking a game you like is any better than Dark Souls 2 because guess what it fucking isn't.

I forgot to mention, 2 has the best environment interaction, meaning how you explore and find new areas, or what kind of neat things there are.
No other Souls game does something when you light all the lamps in an area. No other Souls game has that ladder guy(yeah he sucks balls but it's a super unique exploration style).

Also 2 has the best NG+ cycling. "Ohh abloobloobloo, enemy placement" Yeah at least it's fucking SOMETHING unlike the other two games where NG+ is either a fucking joke or nothing changes at all.

you are completely wrong about that, I haven't played dark souls 3 but if the pvp is as bad as it looks then dark souls remains dominant in online

wew lad.

jesus christ you couldn't be more wrong, you can be infinitely stunlocked in that and the bs and parry are worse than ever

You could be infinitely stunlocked in 1 and 3 as well, that's invalid, and you're right about parries but the difference is, 2 isn't populated 100% with gank squads so the parry being different isn't an issue.

1 was nothing but gank clubs and unbalanced forest fights.

both poise and toggling negate stunlock in, gank squads are only a bitch if they're bs fishers and even then you can just put on a hornet and easily beat them at their own game. That is if you can even find them, 1 in 20 matches are gankers these days and that is being generous

joseph is that you?

See how ridiculous that sounds?

a ring isn't a build user

My name isn't Joseph, but thank you for asking.

and now it is

with zero poise you can just toggle and with at least 31 poise you can tank a katana, sword or curved sword for the first hit then parry the second hit. You don't need a hornet ring to kill bs fishers its just faster

Dude. You know all these things you're saying are only pointing out to everyone how unbalanced 1's PvP was, right?
Let's ignore BS fishers and gank squads.
What about giant dads and dark magic spammers?
Now you say "Oh all you have to do is never get hit by Dark Bead or Black Flame once or you're fucking dead"

jesus christ you're bad, dads are easy, you could toggle or poise tank and they can be stunned with wog or great clubs. Great magic barrier or roll bs can easily kill bead spammers. Or you could just wait till they exhaust their spells. I brought up issues with 2's pvp, you said they're in one, I said they're easy to bypass and you presumably still think 2 has better pvp, what do you want from me?

the difference being, "not have 0 poise" is something you need prior knowledge to do, once the fight starts, if the opponent decides to stunlock you, there's nothing you can do, no matter how good you are, on the other hand, when dealing with dark magic spammers and giantdads, you have to be good at the game.
tl;dr if the the appropriate response is some form of "you just have to play better" it's good, if it is some form of "well you shouldn't have got into a fight with that setup" then it's bad

forgot pic

you're right, but I never asserted which was worse between 1 or 3(as of now 3 is definitely the worst), I just said 2 was best. Because it is. It's the most balanced, and all the covenants work. So it's got the best online play.

You shouldn't have to do that.
That's some peeve peeverson max tryhard bullshit.

Also, the toggle parry shit is hilarious to me.
The fact that you legitimately rely on an EXPLOIT to beat shit that's so stupid overpowered only bugs and very specific builds can beat it, meanwhile you're trying to step to Dark Souls 2 where that doesn't exist because no one has to do it.

Oh gee pressing left on the D-pad sure is for tryhards. Remember, this is something you can just do in the fight. If their build is that broken that you simply can't parry their attacks, you can always git gud and have your ring on standby just incase.

Have you played the game?

this

its pretty damn easy

they left it in from demons souls so its clear they saw the value in it. It's actually a great tactic, most people dont expect it so it its great for mind games, People who know about it stop spamming and it can be used to convert spam into a bs, a parry, or use it as an escape option, you seriously just sound bad. Dark souls 2 has no escape to spam, at least dark souls 1 has options in that regard, spam and bs is objectively worse in dark souls 2

user. I don't know how to tell you this, but From aren't brilliant tacticians. That shit is an accident, just like Dark Bead and Chaos Zweihander and Scraping Spear and the infinite dagger combos and grass munching and darkmoon not working and etc I could literally continue this list for hours.

forgot to mention that flip ring can escape any stunlock

Did you also forget to mention the rest of how stupid overpowered that ring is? It's the only thing I can think of that they actually nerfed in 1.

yeah, ok fag

Nigger, it takes literally all of 5 seconds to switch rings. Unless you're some fag running with two rings of favor, this is never an issue. You said switching equipment is tryhard bullshit, so switching with the d-pad is the same shit.

So anyway, we've come to the end of me caring about this and I'll concede that you're right, 1 doesn't have the worst PvP. 3 does.

But still, all Dark Souls games are 6/10. No more, no less. If you like them, that's fine. I enjoy them for their strengths and have to try my damn hardest to grit through their weaknesses because personally I enjoy the storytelling style and setting and gameplay. That doesn't make them better than they are, though.

Its really not so bad and you still haven't told me how 2's pvp is better

Now I KNOW you haven't played the game, how the fuck do you think you have five seconds to switch rings between a parry and riposte?

Everything works, as a result of this there are no gank squads because red works GOOD and there's no dried finger 3rd white or gold bullshit.
Everything is well balanced, increasing the amount of build variety you see.
That's really it. Everything works and everything has the best balance. There's no real need to go into it beyond that,

you absolutely do, in fact it takes far less that

That's what I'm saying, faggot.
That's some plinking level bullshit that shouldn't be necessary but is because of the nature of the game.

Git gud faggot.

dried finger is a good thing. There are still ganks in 2 and everybody spams fast weapons and there is no poise. Now I know you're just a shill

its not necessary, just flashy and fun

Yeah dude I'm a shill for Dark Souls 2, you sure fucking got me. Are you fucking serious? Do you even know what that word means?

Look at and tell me that's five seconds. Tell me that you honestly believe that's five seconds, or that you knew that shooting Kalameet's middle eye caused a unique pain animation, and would cause him to attack twice as frequently for the rest of the fight.
Go ahead and tell me you knew that Ingward goes to Firelink to become a merchant.

and I was just talking about backing up.

GIT
GUD
FAGGOT

Can you even read?

whats your point, I doubt you can ring swap. Clearly you suck dick at pvp

I haven't seen ganking in a long time in 2 but whatever. But seriously? Only fast weapons and no poise? Why are you even pretending you know what you're talking about? The thing I hear the most hitching about in 2 is the dreaded double chicken wing. And poise works or else none of the tryhards would use Havels and Smelters. Stop regurgitating what you see and form your own thoughts for once.

???

A company would actively market and astroturf against their new game for an old one? Kill yourself. This is what I fucking hate about the video game community, especially the Souls fan base. Pure recital of popular opinions. And in doing so they actually think they're 'patrician' and intelligent for it. And yeah I know I'm going against the group think (that I proved exists just now) but Dark Souls 2 is not a bad game by any means. It just became a meme to say it's horrible in the most memetic and cult like video game community.

I probably do. My PvP build in 1 was a Dex/Faith build with great scythe and balder side sword, and I used shit like emit force and wrath of gods, and I also had a composite bow with darkmoon arrows. In all honesty, not that minmaxed, but I had lots of fun. I know perfectly well how to parry swap, toggle parry, the bottomless box glitch, all that shit. It's really easy to dismiss someone the way you do so I'm not telling people they're bad at the game, I'm choosing to make this debate harder on myself by only stating facts about the games. What about you? You gonna keep doing this ad hominem shit, or are you gonna accept that your gay little forest party wasn't as fun as the ridiculous variety that 2 provided.

Started playing DaS1 a little while ago. Rolled a few characters until I kinda got the hang of things. This is my current character that I plan to stick with, since I'm tired of rerunning the early parts of the game without a full understanding of the later parts and what routes you can take and whatnot.

Any build advice? I kinda feel like I fucked up by not going elemental for my first character so I could dump all my souls into vitality and endurance and enjoy ez modo, but it's too late for that now.

My advice is don't wear one solid armor set, find some fashion that you like. It'll make the game much more fun for you.
Also the only element that makes the game easy mode is chaos.

Did I use the word fun objectively? No, I think that's you putting words in my mouth.
I'm pretty sure I used the word variety.

It's too late for me, I've already succumbed to the curse of the minmaxer.

Then you should DEFINITELY find some fashion.
Have you played the series before? If not, I don't wanna just hammer you with spoilers, but I think you'll find as you play that various pieces of certain sets are the best. As I recall, the elite knight gauntlets are kinda bad, Havel's leggings are pretty much always good, so on and so forth. Just mix and match, and try to remember that until you're PvPing, your defense doesn't matter anywhere near as much as your damage does.

I would recommend at least one attunement slot for PW, since you are using a katana maybe some mobility would be good, maybe the Shadow Set, an alternative shield would be Spider since it reaches stability 70 while still light, or Caduceus/Tower which goes to 72 (Balder's is heavier and reaches 75)

The caduceus knight shield is fucking god tier.

Someone needs to kick that guy in the cunt.

Actually the thread was imported FROM this one, the site was almost unresponsive so I tried my luck there, I needed my Holla Forums discussion fix.

That's called hyper armor, and it's been in every souls game. Poise doesn't effect it whatsoever.

This man is correct, poise does NOTHING. Hyper armor is a weapon-based property, you can get hyper armor with 0 poise because of the size and power of the weapon you're using.

FromSoftware fucked up, and being FromSoftware, they're doing nothing to fix it, even though it negatively affects Xboner and PS4 players too.

I'll try messing around with lower weight armor later.

I loved the Grass Crest Shield's stamina regeneration but I just learned what stability does and now I think using it might be counterproductive for my playstyle.
I picked up a Black Knight Shield earlier. If only it didn't weigh twice as much as the kite shields.

What about the Uchigatana? Is it worth sticking with or could I feasibly change to a better DEX weapon at this point?

Between Uchi and Iaito I prefer Iaito's moveset, other than that I prefer scythes, even though I built for lifehunt I used the regular one on this video (nothing special) just showing a bit of damage output, as for fashion I followed someone else's trend and went Bloodborne (and that's the closest I will be from playing it right now), sorry for the shit quality, if anything you can always try other weapons as long as you don't use your slabs.

Forgot video, sorry for the shit quality.

I fucking knew it. Christ. You should just dodge more attacks instead of blocking, and 2h your weapon.

So do I need a mod to run PvP, or can I run it just fine?
I've finished the game enough times I can solo it all. So eh. Anyways I got a few level 100's.

He's using the Chloranty Ring, lel wut

I gave up eventually. It's not worth it.

With grass crest shield, and chloranthy ring in DS3 it takes ten years to regen stamina, even if you don't use it entirely. When you need it, stamina is gone. in DS1 I could rely on timings. DS3 everything has so much god damn hitpoints it's fucking impossible to do anything interesting in combat PvE, or PvP.

Pop a green leaf if you're going into a boss battle, farm some green leaf if you want a stock of them. Also there's a +2 and maybe even a +3 version of the Chloranty Ring, you don't just get awesome powers right off the bat, you gotta work for them man.

I am not playing the boring ass DS3 game a THIRD time just to get a measly upgrade. Look, I've used all boosts. Stamina regeneration is fucking bullshit in DS3. I couldn't stand it. The game was a boring piece of shit. End of story.

Stupid video cut before the end and now the converter refuses to do the full version.

Okay, but you're still wrong about what you're saying. If you let your stam run out, you wind yourself, then yeah it takes a while to regen it. But if you do what everyone else does and make sure to stop just shy of winding yourself then your stam regen doesn't take as long.

I had zero problems with stam regen ever.

I just said I didn't use up all my stamina. It really depended on situation. In PvE I never used it all up.

Stamina regen takes too long in Dark souls 3 to make combat fun. I guess that must be the flaw I could never quite name.

Really ruins all the new movesets/arts and magic since they cost stamina too.

It's a game balance thing, though, it's too easy to just stand there and spam the uchigatana unsheathe attack and overwhelm anyone who tries to attack you because katana weapons are OP as fuck as usual in a souls game.

I find them easy to parry. I actually struggled against running lunge attacks. Normal attacks easy easy to topple.

I've never had much of a problem with it and I use a greatsword?
Maybe try and grab the grass crest shield and the Chloranthy Ring

I still had issues with it even with those.

I'n not sure then dude, I use neither of those things and I'm fine but then again I have 33 points in stanima

It's still stupidly restrictive. It's bad design when most enemies are focused on relentless attacks and turns it from a game of skill to a game of grinding down enemy health.

Katanas weren't op in 1. If the problem is in the weapon, nerf the weapon, don't ruin the game you fucking retard.

All bleed weapons were OP, hello? A weapon that can shave off 300 bonus hp at a time every 4 swings that you can apply resin or an elemental reinforcement to… Yeah, not OP at all.

I absolutely destroyed Orenstein & Smough in 30 seconds using the Notched Whip because of how ridiculously strong bleed weapons are.

it's even worse in DS3.

Those two can bleed? sometimes I think almost no enemy and no bosses in DaS1 bleed, so far only the Asylum demons and their cousin.

Every boss except for Iron Golem (made of metal), Pinwheel (made of magic) and Nito (made of bones) can bleed.

I still don't know what to think of that boss. A man just tried to reunite himself with his family. Am I a murderer?

Can you not dodge you fucking nigger?

It's PVE. If you're exploiting shit it's like blaming the devs for not making their game cheat-proof.
Also, most bosses don't take ANY bleed damage. Smough is one of the ones that does, ornstein isn't, you fucking liar.

If you didn't kill him, he'd kill you. So you tell me, is self-defence really such a crime?

It doesn't make me feeling any guiltier than killing half the things I do in this game. The best scene is Si. She knows you, doesn't want to fight you, but as her only friend she has to stop you from your own insanity. This is the tone of this game. It's the dark aspect of the title. Just what are you doing? In the end you were used and that's it. having no real ability to help NPC's helps too. In reality this world simply does not revolve around you. You are simply powerful enough to fight back. DeS did this, DS2, and DS3 do not.

What, is Sif actually a female? What? No fucking way, this is astounding me.

Yeah. According to the in game lore Sif was female. I could be wrong as it's been a little while since I read the description. I forget what I even read that said that.
I mean, if the game got its fullest development time it honestly would have been titular. Dark, and kind of depressing when you come down to it. Most fights were simple survival. A creature lost its mind down to barest instincts trying to get something out of you. I mean Artorias had this dialogue. Which I would assume he would say over time as you begin killing him. He even says you're better than evil. It's a thing about humanity. Superior etcetera but it does go deep in the hole

there is a lot of variety in dark souls 1, the game also has a lot more options and mind games. I already talked about the 3 options toggling provided but the use of poise in 1 makes a lot more options for your arsenal, unlike dark souls 2 where the only difference weapons types make is damage, the poise damage is a big factor for 1's pvp. There are several different options for each poise tier and even sometimes the best strategy for super high poise player is to use a fast weapon rather than high poise damage one. This on top of the fact that bs can be easily countered, stunlocking can be escaped, poise offered more depth with 31 poise being enough to take on any foe and even viable zero poise builds with the flip ring and it's easy to see why dark souls 1 has vastly superior pvp to 2. Not only that, but you claim that dark souls 1 has a stun locking and bsing problem and I say that is more because of your skill level since there is plenty of options around poise tanking (fast weapons and greatclub bieng some) magic spam (rolling flip especially or great magic barrier being some) ganks (1 against 2 is cheap in any game but for the sake of argument lets assume its just dark souls where this is bad, 1 shot builds, Leroy talismans, flip ring, or just a nice stun weapon will do most in) and that There is no options out of stun in dark souls 2 should it happen, connection is just as bad and in some cases worse, gankers still exist and the lack of poise takes a way a lot of depth. With the 4 slots for rings and weapons the layer of decision making for rings goes away and options for making a ridiculous build go up, weapon /ring swaping wasn't hard in 1 but at least it took some skill and could somewhat separate skill levels, dark souls 2 is just cheap and bad in every aspect, especially pvp, bsing and parrying were also a lot worse because of the sheer damage they dealt in 2

The magic nerf is also in that everyone fast rolls. Basically magic attacks would have to be unfairly quick to hit anyone who wasn't comatose. Everyone has DKS1 fast roll and it's pretty god-damn awful. On top of that we have percentage damage reduction which takes place AFTER flat scaling reduction (Like DKS2 and 1). So basically split damage has never been worse, and as if that wasn't bad enough, all the weapons with innate magic/fire/whatever the fuck can't be buffed except for a very tiny few. I honestly have no fucking idea what they were thinking.

*That boss was easy. I'm unsure why anyone found it hard.**

Wow user, you're really salty, aren't you?
Complaining about stamina? Right direction, but no one said you should stop and pitch a fucking tent.
The issue is poise is doesn't exist (aside from attacking) and that bosses adhere to Bloodborne's philosophy of wild flailing monster. Granted, the humanoid bosses (not counting deacons) are top notch in this one.

The problem is they want you to dodge, more so than block *
And that ain't very dark soulsy.

He succeed.

Do any of you anons know how to fix this?
I tried launching it today and I keep getting this screen.

Nvm, reinstalled it and it works nicely.
Also post yfw you can see duke's archives from the dragon bridge

Probably the best immersive aspect to this game is just being able to see a bunch of shit that you can only get to much later in the game. My favorite is seeing Lost Izalith and ash lake in Cave of the Giants.

This, and one of those things I didn't like about DaS2.

I am sad that magic is shit in DaS3, rolling an anti-mage was the funniest shit in DaS.

I had trouble my first time, but after that it's no problem

Good joke m8.

The princes were a slog and the giant is a giant, not a humanoid.
Tell me those fights were not worthy of Dark Souls.

Abyss Watchers IS top notch.
Pontiff IS top notch.
Gundyr is a combo king, and fun to fight, but not quit 10/10.
The princes are fucking top notch.
The giant is a more fun version of that Demon's Souls fight.
You're a retard.

This will be the 5th time you've made this post and you've become extremely autistic at it.

Let's also not forget just how fucking great the Nameless King fight is.

Noob of Dark Souls here, I need some help about PvP

Can someone tell me how to invade?

I basically finished the game, but I'm finishing Oolacile before killing Gwyn, and I want to try PvP.

I've seen there are between 6000 and 3000 people on DaS everyday, yet when I try to invade using the Cracked Red Eye Orb it doesn't find anyone. Also I can't remember if I belong to a covenant. Is this important to play PvP?

git gud scrub

true, like any Souls game

and here's the shitposter stigma: DS3 has the best level design and some of the best enemy design in the entire souls series.
Actually, the level design is the best ever, the areas are consistently great while DS1 second half has some serious hiccups here and there.

Not sure if invasions work right now. You have to be really lucky to invade someone. Alternatively wait until they fully finish MPfix. But good news is that MPfix is updating every other day now.

try the undead burg, dark root garden, or darkroot forest, they're pretty popular. They may be above your skill level though so you may want something more fair like the dukes archives which is surprisingly active

TIER LIST FOR OFFENSIVE MAGIC

* Miracles - Lightning Stake, Dorhys' Gnawing
* Pyromancies - Great Chaos Fire Orb, Chaos Bed Vestiges
* Sorceries - Homing Crystal Soulmass, Farron Flashsword

* Miracles - Sunlight Spear, Wrath of the Gods, Lightning Storm
* Pyromancies - Great Combustion, Sacred Flame, Boulder Heave, Black Serpent
* Sorceries - Farron Hail, Homing Soulmass, Crystal Hail, Soul Spear, Crystal Soul Spear, Great Deep Soul

* Miracles - Great Lightning Spear, Gnaw
* Pyromancies - Fire Orb, Fire Whip, Firestorm, Chaos Storm, Black Flame
* Sorceries - Great Soul Arrow, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Soul Greatsword, Deep Soul

* Miracles - Emit Force, Lightning Spear, Divine Pillars of Light
* Pyromancies - Fireball, Profaned Flame, Black Fire Orb
* Sorceries - Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Farron Dart, Dark Edge

* Miracles - Dead Again, Lifehunt Scythe
* Pyromancies - Bursting Fireball, Fire Surge
* Sorceries - Farron Dart, White Dragon Breath, Soul Stream, Pestilent Mercury, Affinity

Source: I've got about 150 hours of PvE and PvP time on each character dedicated solely to casting. If anyone needs a guide on how to play a spellcaster in duel scenarios let me know.

I like the Gargoyle Halberd.
Am I scrub?

It has a weird moveset.

How the fuck was I supposed to know? I figured you complete the Burg and then move on to wherever else, but apparently you just had to figure out to go back to the shrine and go another way? I get the idea there's no handholding and you need to "git gud" but throw me a bone or some shit.

I can't be arsed to farm souls and buy sorceries either, I'm already sick of the game and I don't want to be. Didn't help that the friend in question dumped a shitload of info about the game in one sitting and now I feel spoiled.

It's not optional. Keep trying. This is obvious advice, but try avoiding the Capra demon and kill the dogs first; the fight is trivial after that.
Protip: use the stairs

This will sound stupid but hear me out, go through the fog and DON'T move forward, dodge his attack sideways, the dogs don't notice you right away, one of them is in the stairs, the other is behind Capra Demon, once you dodged the attack lure the dog from upstairs, and try to climb, then the dogs will follow you but you will have an easier time.

If RNG hates you Capra Demon will do a slam and will hit you, if not he will fall down the stairs giving you some time to recover.

I get what you need to do, but there's two things that are the problem: the camera and the lock-on. The camera gets caught in some shrubbery up above and the lock on randomly decides to pick either the demon or one of the dogs at times. Always get stuck in a corner no matter what I do. It feels like a really shitty fight compared to the rest of the game I've seen.

That's what I've been doing, but then I get stuck in the columns to the right, or the dogs double-team me instantly anyway. I'm either retarded or there's something very wrong. And it seems multiplayer is down so I can't summon help. Not that I have humanity anyway at this point.

Try stairs

it's only optional if you have the master key gift, i believe

Oh also: If the dogs are giving you trouble try and stack up on some poise, it helps a lot. After disposing of the dogs Capra is very predictable and easy to kill as long as you're not a fucking scrub

I might be the only one to say it, but you don't want to skip him. The run through the two areas after that to the lower bell, without skips, is one of my favorite segments of the game, a truly grueling dungeon crawl. It's a while before you see the light again. Bring a repairbox and a smithbox, it's great.

I would help you if I could, but the multiplayer hates me.

I swear I'll probably still be a scrub.

I really like the overall design and atmosphere so I'm looking forward to it.

Is the mp always this technically bad? I have this pvp watchdog mod but it shows 0 nodes.

Is has been recently, coupled with the way steamworks handled it (you get nodes corresponding to your steam download region), as I said before, rumor says FromSoft sabotaged DaS1's mp to force people to buy DaS3.

Is DaS still alive on PC? I don't feel like invading in 3 anymore.

Sometimes it works… sometimes…

They kinda made it like BB, where invasions steer towards people with summons. Its pretty rare to find a host by himself. Use the fucking red stone if you want 1v1

Pc version here, steam. Tried playing online with friend, no dice. He was seeing summon signs and messages and bloodstains pop up but I havent seen anything. I reversed hallow and waited AN HOUR just to see anything, and then put my ow

touchscreen phones are a mistake

Anyways i put my sign down then waited yet another hour and neither of us could summon one another. What do i do? do i need to forward ports or something? He was able to join games so i know it wasnt dark souls service turned off

Different download regions?

try DSCM, not sure if it works right now, select the same channel and reconnect using it, then try again.

probably

We will give this a shot thanks you

Oh, you're THAT guy.

Abyss Watchers were alright but the gimmick was stupid and the second phase gives him way too much reach.

Pontiff is shit and his entire thing is made irrelevant by one shield.

I'm honestly surprised it doesn't get bonus backstab damage or something. You thrust an entire axe-blade through their body!

I think every polearm is like that, kind of lazy for halberds and scythes.

PORTS

FORWARD THEM

wait, there is port forwarding for Dark Souls? what ports exactly?

Does anyone want to try some coop in DaS1? I've got a level 1 character at a high ish ng+. I though it might be entertaining for a couple of anons to coop a game low level.

sure, I'm not doing anything right now

Bimp, DaS1 still needs more olev.

Sorry user. I tried but the multiplayer seems fucked. Didn't see a single sign or message for an hour. If someone makes another thread I'll try again in there.

I got invaded at Anor Londo yesterday, BUT every summon I tried failed, feels pretty unfair when only PvP works properly.

yeah its so stupid. I actually miss gfwl at least then you could use dsc fix for coop.

alright I'm trying again before the thread dies. I can summon sl1~10. Lan event Europe is the download region. put your sign by the merchant in the berg so that I know its not a random.
;_;

I'm gonna try

thanks user. I'll keep an eye out.

wait I forgot to set the download region, I'll try again

This thread may fall of the catalog before we connect. but I'll still be there even if this thread isn't.

I might have been a little too overpowered that time, I'm after the rats, right outside the sunlight altar bonfire.

what level are/were you?

SL1.
wait, you're not the dude who summoned me?

No that must have been someone else. Im not by the sunlight alter im in the berg by the undead merchant. this guy my id changed because i rest my online so i could get nodes.

oh, ok, someone summoned me there and I thought it was you, I'll go back to the burg.

well at least we know the online works

got summoned again
was it you?
if not, just tell me your steam name so I know when to teleport back.

I'm losing hope

You got summon again? That's pretty funny.
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995027467/ that's me.