Roguelike Thread

Have been playing Brogue recently and its been kicking my ass, though it's still very fun. First image is where I'm currently at for this playthrough.

I've noticed most of my journeys were ended by krakens, something fire related, or cursed rings.
Also what do you guys think of Noteye? 2nd pic related.
roguetemple.com/z/noteye/

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about
gamesofgrey.com/roguelikeradio/roguelikeradio121.mp3
reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/491xz9/would_you_play_pirate_rogue_become_a_captain_of/
youtube.com/watch?v=QtkKDtkpNjc
yukkurigames.com/pphs/
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/develop/git/quickstart.txt
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt
sourceforge.net/projects/crawl-ref/files/Stone Soup/0.9.2/
a.pomf.cat/jsygqe.ttf
sensi.org/~svo/glasstty/Glass_TTY_VT220.ttf
kreativekorp.com/swdownload/fonts/retro/pr.zip
laemeur.sdf.org/fonts/MorePerfectDOSVGA.ttf
demon.ferretdev.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Brogue is one of my favorite Roguelikes, very pretty for an ASCII game. Followers help a lot, and can be worth it, and you can sacrifice them for in-case things go wrong (and they always will). Usually on the lower levels I tend to start "running" and stop exploring the depths so much. I get less gold, but getting the amulet is always so close. Also watch out for Dragons

Just ended up dying due to greed and not understanding how many things are truly flammable. Also the salamander I was about to save died from a caustic gas trap a centaur set off.

Fuck fire. Fire has most likely my number 1 cause of death. But in this case, I should have never grabbed that key.

How do I get past the intermediate stage of roguelike skill?
I am past dying on D5 every time, or not lasting a day in cata, or whatever, but I still haven't won a game of DCSS, and rarely last a week in cata.
I feel like I have hit a wall.

Because it's a shit RNG game that vaguely uses the roguelike moniker to attract gamers which find it nostalgic but in reality it's just a basic top down action game that copies Legend of Zelda mechanics and has no RPG elements.

I really fucking hate hunger systems in games but I love the depth roguelikes have to offer. Are there any roguelikes that forgo a hunger system but still maintain a semblance of depth?

I can only beat Castle of the Winds so many times and I'm bored as shit of it.

I've learned to stop playing Brogue like your average JRPG. There's no EXP system, so why fight? Only engage when they are in your way or leaving them alive can screw you later. Encountered my first phantom today and the only reason he didn't tear me a new anus was because I just happened to use a potion of telepathy. Don't make risks if you're perfectly fine. I took the risk I did because I was getting my ass kicked and was desperate for new equipment. I think another reason I lost was because I constantly upgraded my partners and they are expendable when it truly comes down to it. I should have upgraded my armor instead.

Another bad habit games like Final Fantasy cause is the mentality that you should save an item until the last minute. I don't know how many people save up a mega elixer, die, and still have it in the inventory. Do you need it? If the answer is a maybe, then use it. Better wasting an item than dying.

Nothing stops you from talking about Issac. How was your last experience with Issac?

ziggurat?

Attention , attention

Court is now in session

Honorable judge user residing

Prosecution may begin with today's subject case #D0277-6

I hearby carry forward the motion that any game title that carries the terms rogue-like or rogue-lite and has been created past the year 2006 should be renamed and refered to henceforth for all intents and purposes to cancer-like due to the insane amounts of cancer it has produced ever since it's popularisation

All in favor say "Aye"

Aye

Nay, roguelikes are roguelikes, "roguelites" or whatever they're called are the actual cancer.

Whoever hired this judge isn't necessarily retarded, but they're getting dangerously close to autist territory.

Twin-Stick-Shooter is not a Roguelike

Shooter inspired by Hexen/Heretic is not a Roguelike

But gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

ORDER IN COURT

the defence shall have it's time after all the evidence have been examed thoroughly and and the subject is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt

one more outburst like this and i shall have the bailiff detain you

nigga come at me, I've got Medieval Swordsmanship

Oh great a brogue thread. I've been playing this game for ages and still haven't managed to beat it. best Ive ever gotten to is depth 24 before getting myself killed. The game is incredibly simple and complex at the same time and I love it cause it something you can pick up or drop at any time.

ok that's it

Bayleef use Razor Leaf

Oh, what's this I see in the trash can?

what is this

Come arrest me for vandalism you lawful punk-ass cracker

FUCK

To avoid all confusion. I suggest these definitions should be added into the OP.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

I like it for the same reason. Much more depth than you would expect.

you have already lost

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

A fork of Cataclysm since the original dev abandoned it. That game is concentrated austim, they recently added the vitamin nutrition to the game, so don't forget to eat your fruits or you'll get scurvy.

make a note of that reporter

Shit I remember playing that 3 years ago but I kept dying of cold

Is it any good?

The game looks fun, but holy shit nutrition management? Are you actually serious?

You guys should try DCSS, it's literally the best roguelike

I love how much a single runic item can change your game. Find a armor of respiration? suddenly all gas traps and potions are insane tools. Have armor of mutuality and a ring of transference? your now immune to physical damage. Its great and can allow for some really fun builds. Though the best strat for success is to ignore potential runics and go for the reliable option, but thats just not as fun.

Why play DCSS when you can literally just go to a random number generator for a more streamlined experience?

how many races is it down to? just humans? fucking reverse feature creep

It's ten times more autistic than it was 3 years ago, they added a realistic mag mechanic late last year, /k/ would shed a tear of happiness with what they did. You can still cheese it though by grinding skill levels 1-3 using the early recipes.

I'm not sure they'll have an opt out option or not, they did with the magazines so it's possible that you can play like it was before the nutrition system. Besides you just need to look out for multivitamins and you'll probably die before summer comes before all the malnutrition debuffs kick in.

ive been playing experimental for ages now. But since some recent builds my upgraded solar panels in my huge death truck have seemingly completely stopped working. Theyre on external tiles and everything. Its not like i have a lot of shit running either. Just one minifridge and a few security cameras. Also what the fuck are you supposed to with the offals. They dont expect you to eat them raw do they? I cant craft anything with them.

most of the better food you find or scavenge from the wild has vitamins. Just dont live solely off of junk food and youll be fine.

I usually play for 1-2 months than take a 1-3 month haitus. Coming back is always like it's a new game with all the new features and shit.

I'm loving the new magazine mechanic and the new mobs and areas. The vitamin system seemed like it would be awful, but really I haven't been paying attention to what I have been eating. I just don't only eat junk food, have been surviving off of cucumber and meat sandwiches and I take a multivitamin every so often.

Have you made sure in the debug mode? If you turn on the debug mode the vehicle construction menu will give you exact numbers of gas and electricity units your vehicle has. Turn off every powerdraining device and see if the number goes up or not.

Honestly I think they do expect you to eat it raw, personally wouldn't touch then until you get a stash of anti-parasite pill or learn tank bark tea, with raw meat giving you parasite and all in this game. I wish that you could use them for bowstring like in that wayward rougelike.

i have eaten loads of offals raw because they give you vitamins and i dont see any other use for them. I haven thad any issues with parasites for some reason. I hope they add some options for food though. This doesnt make sense.

On another note, do you prefer a static or a mobile base? I built a huge truck which is more a house on wheels that a vehicle by now. Pic related for reference and size comparison with a cop car.

i love to hoard shit

Mobile all the way, usually one of my first goals is to find an rv, be it driveable or not with how rare mini fridges are and all. Fuckers need to make welding tanks for acetylene tanks have a recipe, or i'm fucking item wishing them from now on.

I have mixed feeling on malls and that fallout-esque vault being empty of zombies; what's your opinion?

Vaults? Shit mang. Looks like ive not discovered those yet. Unless you mean those 4 room underground evac shelter things you find randomly. Malls are usually chock full of zombies so unless youre well equipped to deal with whatever is gonna come crawling out of the shadows stay right the fuck away from those.

If youre talking about the base thing then id prefer mobile too the only thing that bothers me is the lack of being able to farm shit. Vehicle mountable planter boxes would be ace.

You ever seen one of those towns that's been cratered to shit and has a salon? That's where the vault is, you go in the sewers, with a hacksaw to saw the assload of metal bars and look for ladder thats next to some water and pumps, then your in the vault. Bring some wall destroying equipment to get in. Also do the marshals quests at the refugee center as well since they're some not dead military folks that will be pissed at you for trespassing if you don't.

That's odd, they're always empty for me, I guess it might be my option that i copy and paste for each new build I play that's doing that. If that's true then that vault town should be filled with irradiated wanderers IIRC. Have fun with raditation!

Damn, just got to depth 25 in brogue but had to drink a potion of decent to get away from a tentacle horror and landed right next to a dragon, what bad luck. Never found a good ranged option either and had to rely on a staff of conjuration to do all my work

Give Tales of Maj Eyal a try. No hunger system there. Also, while Dungeon crawl Stone Soup does have hunger, there are several species that don't. Mummies are interesting, and a starving vampire bat of mahkleb is a great challenge

I fucking hate Brogue.

oh wait. I actually remember those. I think i jackhammered into one once because i wanted to know what the fuck was making noise underground.

As soon as a horde of those radiated zombies came for me i knew that was a bad decision.

you are talking about those big multi store things right?

I think i mightve mixed them up with megastores or what those were called. But they were never empty for me. What are you world settings at?

post gear

Feels so good man. The fun police may have abandoned the old DCSS, but I never will.

the one with the red Ms and it is fuckhuge, I remember that it was filled with zombies until about a year ago then they were empty.
Check my settings it states 'static spawn' is false, which is still strange since megastores, the 9x9 blue Ms are filled with zombies yet the vault and the mall are barren.

I don't anything to show since I died to a lab turret in stupidity yesterday. Most of the time i choose light survivor gear to keep my encumbrance low and it stops just about anything but those tank zombies from kicking my ass, which I beat by magdumping at point blank range.

I usually have static spawn as well as hordes on to compensate for playing with mundane zombies. Call me a coward or pleb but i really dislike special zombies. The other monsters are fine though.

If you find a lab card and swipe it at the entrance the turrets wont activate so you might want to wait until then. Unless you mean one of them downstairs. Then tough luck man.

i can fully understand that. But i prefer being this walking wall of armor. The only thing that would actually seriously hurt me would be either guns or fire. and for those cases i have a set of power armor stashed in my car. And i just noticed i have two sets of watches on aswell as two radiation badges. I really need to sort out my shit.

I want to make a roguelike. I don't know how well I can handle interactions so it'd probably have simple combat. Is that still fun? Is it better to have random or designed maps?

It was one of the downstairs one and I had flashlight on, so I couldn't do the lit walls turret trick at that time.

I should note that smg turrets got nerfed since all you have to do these days is just get into its maximum firing range, wait for it to run out of ammo since it's bullets can't reach it's max shooting distance and you got a permanent light source. Fuck military turrets though, you gotta get a car with bullet proof glass for that which will totally kill fucking car if the engine is in front of the glass.

zincland.com/powder/?pagename=about

I've read the RB article several times. But c'mon, Holla Forums is more insightful than a wiki article

Any guides I should read before I start this? I've only ever played Dwarf Fortress and Unreal World before.

I went in blind so i dont know any guides. If you decide to do the same expect to die a lot until you learn the ropes. But when you do, the game opens up a lot and is very fun.

If youre playing experimental builds, id say your best bet are the forums and they are not that informative. The wiki is hell out of date so id not even bother. Theres some general things there that you can check but ive found it lacks most if not all of the recent additions.

Thats pretty much how most Roguelike endgame content ends up being like.

Play a wizard. They usually scale exponentially in power in most roguelikes that exist.

Where do I get this fork?

Are you retarded?

I just checked with debug mode. I turned my fridge off which was the only thing draining power. It stopped my charge from going down but it aint going up either. And i have 24 upgraded panels on exterior tiles on my car. The charge doesnt even start to go up. I even checked if it was sunny. I wonder if my car is somehow fucked.

Speaking of CDDA, any meaningful updates or mods lately? or is it just some minor additions?

A while back I played through ADOM. I did savescum (it being the first time I was absolutely set on finishing it) but I didn't need to rely on it until towards the end. I was playing a priest, heavily reliant on spellcasting. Did fine until I got to the Mana Temple. The boss there is immune (or at least extremely resistant) to magic and fights like a motherfucker in melee, so good luck magic users.

That fight utterly killed my love for ADOM, possibly forever.

My nigga!

I'm tempted to come back and play CDDA, but I haven't touched it since… fuck, since forever. I think latest one I played was 0.8 or 0.9 just when forums went full SJW
How much did change? Anything good?
I can't stop playing IVAN though

I'm terribly sorry

Depends how long ago you dropped it. The 'More survival tools' was added about a year ago I think, gives you some more long term survival tools. the vehicle mods adds tanks to the game, including their cannons. Just recently they overhauled how the magazines work for firearms. Basically if the gun reloaded one round at a time, it remains unchanged. If the gun uses an external magazine, like a glock for example, it needs a magazine to load rounds into it and loading rounds into a magazine is sslllllllooooow, so bring a couple of spares before you go into a firefight. Also not all firearms you find are going to have magazines in them, like ones you find on a zombie or in a bank van. But if you don't want to deal with that shit there's a mod that brings guns to their older state.

Taking items out your inventory to wield is much slower compared to stuff that you're wearing, so make some scabbards and holsters if you like to alternate between weapons.

gotta go north now and hope that the riot bots finally fucked off

my anus was entirely not ready for that kind of beating
I think I even lost my wood axe somewhere there during the fight

Well, that was unexpected

wow

A friend gifted me the complete version of Tales of maj eyal, looks cool, it has orks with steampunk shit

what is a good class to start with?

Oh yeah, I have some memories on police bots and riot bots. The latter one I got off easily, but the former:

It's been some time when I last played it, but

Bulwarks are pretty solid start, try focus on stunning attacks, they'll help a lot, especially against caster types

Alchemists are also pretty good too, since you get buddy to whack shit for you and at if you play cards well, you get pretty tough bomber around level 15 or so

and at around level 12 or so, try stockpile some good items that have good blight resistance

yeah I got into a shitflinging fest with them but since I had a gas mask and a blacksmiths apron they couldnt do shit but blind me

I had to ditch the axe in favor of a simple 2x4 and always carry a quarterstaff everywhere I go since then SPECIFICALLY for these fuckers

No user, you are the cancer

Man, you guys are making me wan to play again. My best character was a girl names Jen. Took out a fungal tower with her then spend like two real time days building a mobile base I made from a semi truck.

I was so proud. I loaded her up and and set off for a FEMA camp of the very edge of the map, only to turn the corner to get one shotted by a tank drone.

I have a character here and there but not as far as I got with her.

Also what settings do you use for map gen? I haven;t liked the last few I got.

Also

Is there any other roguelike like Elona? Or elona is just an JRPG dressed as roguelike?

someone's making a pirate rl

If they can pull off Sid Meier's Pirates: The Roguelike, I'll cum buckets.

I suppose the redness is cannonball height
Feels weird seeing it broke into big chunky tiles, while the graphics are smaller megapixels

I havent seen a single tank drone or chicken walker ever and ive played my character for a whole ingame year.
do they get turned off when you turn off special zombies?

I also found out that i basicly have to rebuild my entire mobile base from scratch. Its fucking 50 tons of shit that i have to rebuild. Its gonna take a while. Good i have enough shit stockpiled.

gamesofgrey.com/roguelikeradio/roguelikeradio121.mp3
Goddamn it.

any more info on this?

Will do
"Autists ruin thread in record time by bringing up the worst definition since plato, subsequently laughed out of every other group aside from their own"

Nice I haven't played for a long time and those should be pretty fun to see how long I can go with

Nobody else matters, especially not some kikes putting out low effort trash on Steam.

I use the bandit mod along with artyoms gun emporium and various mods that add buildings.

The bandits make the world feel more "alive" I guess. Makes the cities look like fucking war zones. Also they drop glock mags, 9mm, and shotgun ammo so I'm not complaining.

Goddamit TOME

also should I play the experimental CDDA bulids or the stable ones? last time (and this was a long time ago) I couldnt find anything else besides zombies and giant ants

MY NIGGER@!

experimental most definitely, they are usually pretty stable.

I wish you could turn off calcium deficiency because it makes no sense and you end up with it constantly.

Where can I find this mod? The NPCs in the game now are pretty boring.

On the modding section of the forums. Should be on the first or second page.

reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/491xz9/would_you_play_pirate_rogue_become_a_captain_of/

fancy that

aw shucks

youtube.com/watch?v=QtkKDtkpNjc

aaaand they lost me.

What the fuck did they do to tailoring? I had 2 tailoring and I couldnt fucking do anything worth shit

I had a bad case of fungus infection once. creeping right up the buildings and my base i had. I tried burning the floor with a molotov and the entire thing caught on fire. Maybe try that. Time to purge. A matchbook might not be enough so do try to get your hands on a molotov or something similar.Fungal shit is horrible. Do the world a favour.

YOU INCOMPETENT IDIOTS

The only positive effect of fungus that I experienced until now is that Fungaloids are neutral and constantly wipe zambies everywhere I go

time for a little forest fire I guess

posting best soundtrack for CDDA

What's "Roguelike"?

like Rogue.

OH MY LORD!

SERIOUSLY?!

You're the one who asked.

And how is "Rogue"?

Go play it.

This tbh

You're the @, good luck
yukkurigames.com/pphs/

So what's a good way to get into ADOM? It's one of the big roguelikes I haven't spent a lot of time playing. Also I've been playing Javelin lately. It's no NWN, but it definitely gives me a good fix for muh 3.5 parties.

theres also the fact that you can farm fungaloids for their fluid sacs. But theres other better alternatives for nourishment. Ontop of that you dont want your limbs exploding off because you breathed in spore shit. Removing the shrooms is in my opinion always the best option. Also purging the world with fire feels good.

ADOM's not too difficult. Play a straightforward class like a Dwarf Paladin or a Troll or an Orc. Elf Archer or Wizard is also good. Stop in at the first town, buy some rations, memorize any spells from books you might have, put any rings you might have (one of them is probably cursed), and then go to one of the dungeons in the local area.

To this day I've only not started with cursed shit once

I think only hurthlings start a game with a (quaranteed) cursed ring. tho' I think I once with non-hurthling character started with ring of fish and found out that autocursing is a thing in this game.

Two questions:
What's the best version to play DCSS?
One where the devs hadn't removed half the content yet.
And second:
What's the best brogue tiletset/graphics pack out there?

Fungaloids are good to have around somewhere nearby because you can turn their fluid sacks into cooking oil, tainted veggie also works as fuel, and the plant fibres can be used to repair stuff.

Just don't live close enough to their tower so that they spawn in your reality bubble and lag you to death.

The thing that sucks about ADOM is that archers are so absurdly overpowered. I beat it the first time with an archer and I essentially breezed through it.

0.9 was the last version before they started chopping stuff out. If you can put up with compiling a fork, I recommend Extra Hearty Edition, a custom build of 0.14 that adds back most of what was removed from intervening versions.

Somebody needs to make a serious, up to date fork.

What character builds do you guys play on C:DDA?

i usually play with the 'Really bad day' option on because i like scavenging for every little thing

can you put that in hebrew please

this isn't even remotely roguelike, nigger

If anyone is going to play ToME you cna get the complete game and it's DLC from piratebay as a GOG thing.

Also, to update it, simply run the patcher from the installation file.

Additionally, for mods, you want the Bazaar mod which is great, Zombinus addons, NPC Forgiveness, Playable Vampire race (It's decent bu tthe level curve is fast as fuck, like you'd expect in similar tabletop situations) Revised staves, logical Alchemists and Escorts Enhanced.

Berserker is best choice, especially if you only level Technique: Combat veteran, Bloodthirst, Conditioning, and armour training as weapons mastery, gettign full plate early, and combat veteran maxxed out ASAP.

By the time you're level 10 or so, you'll basically be able to take on eneies that are up to level 21 or more dependign on the type, especially if you're spellcasters.

You're main choices for infusions are wild, Regeneration and healing ones, and you're basically Khorne if you join up with Zigur at that point, where no mage can ever hope to stop your endless rampage.

Big fan of CDDA here. Playing experimental without NPC's, but I see you guys playing with them. Are they okay? Do they work?

I usually roleplay a little bit No minmaxing or clothes that make no sense will the NPC's break muh inmmersion?

Also, a little story:
Too easy right now. I left the character behind because it was simply too much for the cataclysm to handle.

Will get back to him some day. For now, he is just chilling besides his car packed to the top of ammo and weapons. The town is clear.

Just eat like a normal person. You will only suffer malnutrition if you are a heavy drug user or eat only junk food.

post magnet link

It's literally a search away, no mixed results, one result only.

*YOU FUCKING TRASH

They work. There aren't any major game breaking bugs with them like there used to be. You at least want to turn on static NPCs because there are some missions and stuff to do.

But if you hoard them like you do everything else, then yeah it breaks immersion because they don't do anything but stand in one spot forever. It starts to get kind of creepy if you're in there.

"Work" is supremely relative.

Static NPCs are little more than quest-puppets, and honestly I'm not even sure if it's static or random NPCs that open up places like the large EVAC shelters as towns.

HOWEVER! With the recent changes to how sound works both random NPCs and wandering hordes are more fun, less !FUN!.

I'd suggest trying an world with both static/random enabled but the spawn rate turned down to something like .10~.15 if you don't want to be swimming in them.

Oh, and of course you'll still get the occasional auto-hostile asshole with a massive energy cannon and 12 DEX, but hey, that's a roguelike for you.

A "fork" is a computer program whose codebase was created by splintering from that of another actively developed program, sort of like and in many cases because of religions or political parties splitting during an ideological schism.

Compilation is necessary when the only form in which a program is distributed is source code, instead of precompiled executable binaries.

If you feel technologically self-confident enough to compile software, Extra Hearty Edition can be found here, with instructions on Git and compilation (note that I vaguely recall needing to fix some sort of small bug to make it compile, but I was using msysGit under 32-bit Windows XP, so who knows):
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/develop/git/quickstart.txt
github.com/tmhedberg/dcss-ehe/blob/master/crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt

How does NPC interact with vehicles and how they act as sidekicks? Do they eat?

They can be a bit of fresh air to my apocalypse, but each time I enable them I end up regretting it.

I should probably just try them out and see for myself.

Also, some tips:

First days are very important. You must get melee to 1 (from 3 on you are actually skilled) before taking any risk. Even if you don't plan to be a melee character. Do not get hurt, pick your first fights carefully.
Getting a sidearm is a great backup plan. It will get you out of some trouble and help you deal with brutes and shocker zombies. Be mindful of the noise. If you can get a handgun with a supressor you are golden.
If your focus is too low, retreat. Fighting with low focus is not a good idea. You will not improve your skills.
If instead your focus is very high, grind some skills. You don't need enemies for this: Shooting to the air, throwing shit around or foraging are good ways to sped those extra points.

I've never really been a fan of the game, why are they trying to make it worse? For balance?

Leave it to an autistic roguelike developer to do this kind of backwards shit.

The whole game is balanced around the speedrun community, yes a fucking roguelike balanced around speedrun.
I'm not kidding.

They can get in cars if you have them in your party(green), but will just explode when you drive if they are not.

You can heal them and give them *superior* (based on price I think) equipment to wear, order them around as you could before with the combat. They don't eat or anything like that. Usually they are more of a burden then they are worth so I just put them all in a random room in my base. You can learn stuff from them though, that's their main use.

Today I learned something

eric
simply
eric

You realize Elona was based on ADOM right? There are a few references to it like the Puppy cave.

Elona was based on a bunch of stuff.

This.

As I wor kon a complete reqorked PCC sprite sheet for it i fidn otu more and more stuff by browsing spriters reosurce and the like.

A good chunk of the NPCs are reworkd RPG maker sprites, and the killer ants are from a different game entirely, amogst other things like it being set in one of the universes linked to good old Yog-sothoth, and that all the gods in the game save for one are essentially fucking crazy evil fucks.

The god of magic is literally an eldritch fuck out to turn everybody back to raw particles.

What stuff did they remove? Is it that bad?

To give you an idea, I'll give you the changelog of a mod that restores removed content(keep in mind that this mod is for the 0.14, and they're at 0.18 now so much more was removed)
Restore mountain dwarves
Restore stalkers
Restore potions of water
Restore evaporate & fulsome distillation spells
Restore the book of Stalking
Restore Zot:5 orb chamber vaults
Restore staves
Increase Elf back to its original 5 levels
Increase Vaults back to its original 8 levels
Restore monster fleeing behavior
Restore bumblebees
Restore miscellanous removed vaults
Remove pre-identification of unrandarts
Enable the officially unfinished but functional Enchanted Forest and Dwarven Hall branches (experimental)
Restore Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Restore spell memorization failure
Slightly increase difficulty of orb run monster spawns
Restore claws effect from beastly appendage
Enable Crypt entrance to spawn in Vault:2-5
Restore "bad" potions appearing in Cigotuvi's wizlab
Restore blessed toes
Let alarm traps trigger multiple times
Revert revealing of teleport traps in some vaults
Revert removal of Xom's hostile animated weapon effect
Restore toadstools growing on corpses
Keep Dig silent
Restore earth-themed ziggurat levels
Restore rock trolls
Restore wood golems
Restore ant larvae
Various minor vault tweaks
Re-enable chaos butterfly spawns
Restore Cigotuvi's Degeneration
Restore Book of Morphology
Retain stabbing skill
Retain splint mail
Retain sludge elves
Retain priests (of Zin)
Retain laboratory rats and some removed bat species
Retain Pan in the Forest
Retain player clinging (Gargoyles, Spider Form, etc.)
Retain Traps skill

Also the materials system is like something straight out of IVAN.

I guess the point is that you wont find a game exactly like Elona, but you might find roguelikes that it got some of its mechanics from.

are there any roguelikes with co-op online?
i don't mean the online elona has, but player1, player2 and enemies all on one display moving properly in order?

What the fuck did they remove now?

Closest I can think of is Mangband and PWMangband I think it was.

Nothing, everything was minor and the changes that actually adds to the game is small. But then again, what do you expect from goons?

Good because you will not want to meet one once you see them. Unless you have that hacking laptop thingy or endgame gear and skills, it'll almost always turn into a run for your life situation.

wewsmh

Those are just from the lastest update by the way.

You better believe im happy about that.

Dont want webm related happening to my year old character.

bump.
Post good rogues

WHAT THE FUCK. I NEVER USED RANGED BEFORE BUT NOW I HAVE EVEN LESS USES.
WHY ARE WE NOT ALLOWED TO BENEFIT FROM DUMB MONSTERS DOING DUMB THINGS.

I mad.

This is a speedrunning only game user :^)

Don't tell me there are people that actually say that. I actually hung around the community for a bit on webtiles a while back and haven't found a single person playing that liked all the shit being removed. On another note, it was after .09 that they started removing stuff? What did I miss since I began on .12?

Thank fuck I found a gas mask early on so the fungus shit does shit all to me.

FUCK

I barely ever have to deal with riot bots because i dont smash the vending machines and i barely cause alarms otherwise. Zombies drop loads of cash anyways so theres no real need to smash the machines. And even if the fuckpolice is out to rape me i have a fucking small army's worth of guns and ammo in my truck. I think i have like 40 landmines and 8 LAWs or something like that. Amids a billion bullets for all kinds of guns. Im decked out, yo.

Dang man, RIPIP.
Better luck next time.

Maybe you need something like my baby right here.

Ive been building this thing for ages. Started as a Swat Truck i nicked and i upgraded and restructured it. Now its a fortress and i love it.

i can barely get into cities

now literally

He was made of pepperoni

Holy shit.
How did that happen?

Is there anything vehicle wise that can crush buildings without damage?
What about enemies?

Yeah, a lot of older binaries are missing from the official server, but you can find them offsite with a quick search:
sourceforge.net/projects/crawl-ref/files/Stone Soup/0.9.2/

also, my name is Eric. 2sp00ky

Not that ive found so far. Which is a shame. I can blow through a small group of zombies no problem but buildings are a big no no. They wreck your shit even if you have a death fortress decked out in military composite armor. Zombies trying to claw their way in is fine though. Ive had a zombie bash on my hull an entire night and i didnt even have to repair that part. On that note, i there armor that better than military composite?

Does someone have list of more roguelikes? It feels like I have almost every fucking game on my HD.

Just dig through roguebasin, particularly by genre, theme, and developmental influence. It's also fun to see the devs shit talking each other.

I found Prospector early in its development, and it has been the 3rd hardest thing to watch in all of roguelikes, behind the declines of DCSS and Cataclysm DDA. The game has so much amazing potential and the concept is something I've always wanted but the developer barely does anything.

Can't they fucking finally get it right? Just gonna shill linux terminal fonts: a.pomf.cat/jsygqe.ttf
btw can I use graphic tileset with my fonts or I gotta stick to default/tileset ones?

I've played pic related and can't stop. But a proper pirate game would let me get a bucket of cum

I prefer the classics:
sensi.org/~svo/glasstty/Glass_TTY_VT220.ttf
kreativekorp.com/swdownload/fonts/retro/pr.zip
laemeur.sdf.org/fonts/MorePerfectDOSVGA.ttf

Jesus user, do you really need a vehicle that big?

Well i hoard a whole fucking lot so i need loads of space. And i love constantly upgrading the shit i have. Im halfways thinking about making a lightweight foldable vehicle that ill use for inner city shit and ill just keep that thing around the outskirts. Because manuevering through cities is kind of a nightmare when youre driving around a vehicle the size of a small building.

I have loads of guns in the storage. Including Howitzers. Should i strap them on?

How do you get through the bridges? My deathwagens size of 5 was the maximum that could get through by hugging the railing. Or do you just ram every fucking car on the bridge on your monstrosity?

Pretty much that. I ram them until they roll off the bridge into the water, check for damage, repair if there is any, rinse, repeat.

Its a slow process. I really wish it was more like gif related.

If I wanted to build a wooden cart in cataclysm for moving cargo, how would I make it able to turn?

A wooden cart that you ride on or one you drag around? If its the latter it always turns the direction youre dragging it to. If its the former, you just need a seat and controls like in a car.

No, it will start spinning and fly out of your grasp.

activate the vehicle direction indicator thing in the options. That will show you where the front side of the vehicle is. Maybe you put it together the wrong way.

Silly anons, the REAL roguelike is NetHack!

Fight me.

what the shit? why was this even removed?

If you really want to get depressed just take a look at Incursion.

Oh fuck I forgot about Incursion.
Yeah that one hurts a lot too.

Passé

Devs hate things. The less things there are the better. Soon only humans will remain.

Nigga, I once took 7000+ damage in one go.
My fucking leg got torn away by a tank's 120mm shell through my car's armor.

Holy shit.

Good thing tank drones and the likes were seemingly never invented in my world then.

Fucking tank drones

Other than dynamic NPCs who constantly attack (Can they be disabled midway through a game?), this mansion is safe.
It also doesn't have a kitchen, and I have almost no food left.
As I see it my options are thus; go south hoping for a bridge
Read the swimming book I found in one of the three [3] libraries the mansion had and cross the river at its thinnest
or craft a fishing rod, and continue reading after I learn to fish.
Which should I do?

I can't even find sheet metal to make a makeshift pot, so I can't cook most things.

EZ I found a tube in a military truck wreckage

also

Fish. You said you have no food left so you should secure a food source first before heading out.

Do I have to have a rod?
I have never fished before.

you get sheet metal if you take apart the boards and quarterpanels of cars. Just find a hacksaw and/or wrench and you can take apart entire vehicles safe for the wheels which you need other shit for.

go smash some windows for strings.

I'm in a mansion surrounded by woods.
There is no road, there are no cars, there are no windows with strings.
As you can see by the IDs I posted a map.

the mansion ought to have windows, right?

Have you never been in a mansion?

Its been a while.

I live in a hunk of metal, remember?

is there a cheap way to deal with turrets that I dont know of?

in other news, my next world apparentely had no labs to generate so I got a broken lab cyborg setup with 14 in every attribute without the downside of actually spawning in the lab

…or not

so can anyone tell my why the latest nightly of CDDA has such insane propabilities of biting?

I found this one the other day.
demon.ferretdev.org/
Haven't had time to try it out yet. Is it any good?

Are there any normal pillows(not down-pillows) or wool/felt clothing like sweaters or blazers? If the former rip the pillows up to get cotton balls then make a distaff so you can make thread; if the latter just cut wool clothes up and butcher the felt patches so you can get wool. Once you have thread/wool make it into small strings then in to large strings. Shit's just gonna be a lot more tedious than smashing windows of normal houses but it will work.

They got 200 rounds of 9mm, and once they run out they become glorified nightlights. Here's another hint, smg turrets the distance turrets start shooting at you is longer than their maximum range.

I haven't played DDA in a long time, but the last time I did you could just turn your flashlight off and they won't be able to see you. You'll still be able to see them because they generate a 1 tile radius of light.

I'm so damn mad that I died to something so stupid and that it's all my fault.

They now produce a large field of light so they can shoot you from across the room.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Roguelikes in a nutshell.

blob cans and vivisectors sure work well together

Best way to move without rain fucking you up with no access to duct tape?