Why did 3D platformers die out?

Why did 3D platformers die out?

Other urls found in this thread:

bf4stats.com/
bf3stats.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Over saturation and fad mentality

they required more work to make good, thus when a simpler alternative, the open world game came around, more devs jumped on that ship. further solidified with the popularity of the first person shooter. It's easier to make those kinds of games, and more profit stands to be made considering the popularity.

Grand Theft Auto 3.

Because nobody can design levels anymore.
We either have a linear corridor or procedural generation.

I can actually elaborate on this.

3D platformers started to die off upon the launch of Mario Galaxy 1.

As we all remember, 64 had a nonlinear layout and levels, even missions that could be completed out of sequence just because you felt like it.

Sunshine followed this as well and in this day, platformers were on the decline. Tomb Raider was shitty, Banjo Kazooie was dead, Spyro was a dead horse getting flogged before thrown in a vat of mutagenics to make skylanders.

After Sunshine, came galaxy and the true death of 3D platforming.

See, the cham of all of OP's games was a non linearity to them; a world to explore and enjoy. It just look around and see what you could find.

Upon Galaxy, however ,despite how "big" it was, everything was linear. Hub world had no secrets, each stage required specific pathways to finish, nothing interesting at all.

Galaxy 2 further streamlined this and made the hub virtually non existent and made it so you just get fling into linear mission after linear mission.

There was no joy of stopping what you were doing to try and get the 8 red coins or finding out what missions was best for getting 100 coins, instead they could only be completed by choosing said mission.

There is a difference between the ability to "free roam" and "sandbox" gameplay.

Sandbox is basically minecraft. GTA is free roam. You have missions, but the missions are flexible, allowing you do all sorts of shit to beat them, but also just dick around and have a lot of fun doing so.

Skip to today. NO ONE is making 3D adventures/collectathons. Mario's latest outing is not only linear as fuck with an isometric view, but now also has a time restraint further hindering the mindset of exploring and instead pushing for "get to the end ASAP".

Mario Galaxy and it's grand standing was the death of 3D platformers.

the same creeping decay that wormed it's way into every other genre, user

However, out of the lot of them, banal cutesy mascot platformers are the kind of game I'm least sad to see disappear. Except for spyro, that shit was great.

One word
cinematic

It had it's turn just like RPG's before. I think FPS's are still popular but that could go toward arena shooters.

the fads kinda went like 2d platformer -> 3d platformer & arena shooters -> open world & action sports -> scripted shooters & open world -> moba, scripted shooters w/ mp focus & open world (rpg element creep started around 06, 07) and here we are today where the biggest genres have an esports focus, mobas, shooters, and as far as single player goes, open world reigns as the most popular. The thing is, you also have the next wave being ushered in, timer-centric team based shooters. Directly inspired by mobas, often integrating their elements.

The examples the OP gave are a terrible idea, they only existed because it was a transitional period.

user by the time Galaxy came out platformers had been dead for a long time.

Sunshine was already one of the last platformers.

also
literally the most retarded statement I've heard all week.

3D platformers died because of the oversaturation of the market, there were too many around and of course only the most famous ones kept going. This until Crash was killed by activision, Spyro and Rayman starred in too much schlock to be good and all the people that just followed the trend stopped making them.

When Mobas die out, some people will look back and ask why did that happen. And the truth is that every genre that gets big has to die sooner or later, we're in the moment where mobas are overfilling the market with shit nobody plays for no reason, and in a few years all this shit will be gone.

Genres die. it's just normal, there's nothing more to it than that.

he's just trying to shallowly blame it on mario galaxy's different design philosophy, which is indeed very different from earlier 3d mario games.

It's a desperate attempt at shilling, in order to persuade people who would otherwise be uncertain about the history of games.

HAHAHAHAHA
you're a funny guy user.

Yeah, I got that after re-reading it
pretty dumb

They died before this, you'd have to be retarded if you think Super Mario Galaxy caused the death of 3d platformers, it's more the swansong of the dying genre. Although the genre isn't really dead. If anything "killed" 3d platformers it's this awkward desire for gaming to "grow up".

Dota will never die, the clones already get ignored and die within months. League is the only clone that managed to survive.

Rayman 2 was linear as fuck you nigger and it was still a good game, you just had to go slightly off the beaten track to find some lums.

It will in time, a lot of people that I know that used to play it all day have been playing less and less.

I was a huge fan of it back in 2012, and now it's just absolutely unplayable for me.

I mean it will most likely keep going like TF2 did, but it won't have the massive following it has now.

I feel just like indies resurrected 2D platformers, thanks to engines we'll start having a new wave of 3D platformers in some time. We're already getting a new Rare platformer, lucky's tale is out, there's a bunch of upcoming kickstarters that are actually making games.

They'll come back, at least like a niche genre

people who equate linearity with low or bad quality are the biggest of idiots

if you look at it like that, I hate to say it but you're wrong. sidescrolling platformers never died, they were always being made. 3D platformers are still being made, things just go through phases in the industry. Some things get popular, and some things die down a bit as a result. Genres experience shortages all the time.

They might've never completely died, but there's been an absolute flood of them as soon as the indie scene exploded.

10/10 best controls

because they are very easy to make and very profitable. So more tools were made to help their creation, making them even easier to make, so more people got on it when they saw money was there. It's very simple stuff.

Video games are an art form which only mature adults should be able to enjoy, whereas 3d platformers were baby games for stupid babies who can't understand modern art.

fortunately, video games are not art and I couldn't be happier that this is the case

Nope, that was Nintendo with New Super Mario bros and it's combined 60+ million sales, although then Retro got it the most right anyone has ever done with Tropical Freeze, literally the finest in 2d platforming.

The only thing you will get with easy to use 3d engines is cheap 3d platformers, the only one that looks like it will have any value is Yooka Laylee, but I'm still pretty dubious since they haven't shown anything of value, it just has that Rare techhead who is like the british Carmack. Yooka Laylee will probably end up as a second rate platformer, don't worry though, a lot of people nostalg about the second rates so there's still value in them.

What BS, m8. I don't like the fact 3D world is basically a console version of 3D Land, but it's level/world structure allowed it to focus on making fun gameplay sections instead of tedious bullshit. Same with Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

I agree with and

There's a reason we don't see as many WW2 FPS's, Resi-4 like TPS's, and arcade sports games anymore.

The truth is, the market sees one game that does something different to advance a genre/create a new genre, sees how much money it makes, and then every competitor tries to copy it until the market becomes oversaturated or the "next big thing" comes out, and then rinse and repeat.

It's why a shit ton of open world/survival games exist with Bamham combat, and RPG/crafting elements exist for almost every game now. It's why almost every indie game that gets released is either a pixelshit metroidvania or a blatant Earthbound-inspired RPG.

Trends will change and so too will the games. I have a feeling as Yooka Laylee gets released and 3D games become easier to develop, more people will create N64/PS1 styled 3D platformers as a "nostalgia" thing like a ton of indie devs make a bunch of SNES inspired metroidvania's/RPGs today.

You clearly haven't played Her Story, winner of multiple Game of the Year awards. It makes Citizen Kane look like a children's picture book.

And that's why I said the more 3D engines come out, the more 3D platformers we'll have.

That is a good point, I had forgotten about the Wii's 2D platformers.

Also you'd be surprised how many actually look good and (seem) to play good.. I had a list some time ago, but I can't fucking find it again for the life of me.

tropical freeze is fantastic, but it is a specific type of platformer that follows a rigid rule set in its level design theory. Everything about it is polished to a remarkable shine, but it is pretty derivative due to how controlled the experience is. This isn't a bad thing, but I feel there is a "high" you can achieve from much less controlled platformers that DKCTF never targets. The skill ceiling is something sadly neglected these days, for a very comfortable skill floor and practical challenges. I do see some games on the horizon that are challenging this, thankfully.

Games like embed are really top of their class in this regard. Preservation of momentum, building up speed and mastering control of mechanics that augment movement, while direct, clear challenges are tremendous, and have more than earned their place, the more experimental skill requiring platformers like Umihara Kawase are far more captivating and when you can complete them, far more satisfactory.

To me, it's kind-of like comparing dark souls to DMC4. Both games are fun on a base level, but high level dark souls play is very barely different from low level play. Whereas high level dmc4 may as well be a different game.

oh god damn I meant to reply to

hes fucking around m8

why would someone fuck around while talking about her story

I was trying to refer to the faux pas at the game awards, when the announcer said Witcher 3 won, but it was the chick from Her Story, so we got that pic of the slav dev

Yeah, the people you know. But there will always be younger ones who discover it.

oh, sorry. I didn't follow the award show apart from the game announcements. I don't think game award shows are competent enough at covering the industry at large, which is what interest me most.

They didn't
You just stopped playing them because they weren't as popular as they used to be.

Yes but at some point they'll run out.
Most of the youngsters at this point barely play games anymore.

I don't really consider having high skill ceiling something that makes a game. I think Tropical Freeze is a perfect balance of excellent, intricate, iconic and varied level design with solid mechanics that don't rely on a gimmick like what was shown in Sayonara Umihara which looks like a good game itself. it's a fun game from start to finish that doesn't treat the player like a child. I mean if you wanted a high skill ceiling platformer you'd play Super Meatboy or Cloudberry Kingdom.

Why would someone talk about Her Story at all though, that's the more worrying part.

Dota is the new Counter-Strike, get used to it.

Maybe the white ones, them gooks and hues don't have the luxury of watching others play games.

Isn't Counter Strike the new counter strike?

Also that's not what I mean, Counter Strike still has a lot of players, just like TF2, but the demand for FPSs is really low because we're past that trend.

The same will happen with dota

lol

Just stick with consoles.

nice argument…?

Are you willing to cite sources that show that FPS sales have dropped at a faster rate than game sales as a whole within mainstream games.

>>>/reddit/

I find that hard to believe, given his timeline is all over the place. My neck hurts from the back and forth he went.

Hopefully they will be good :^)

I think we're already running into a communication problem. I don't consider a high skill ceiling a necessity, but I think it adds exponential entertainment value the more intricate and involved player control can be.

I agree with your assessment of tropical freeze's qualities, and feel it is a fantastic game.

Our second miscommunication would come down to your use of the word gimmick. A gimmick is in reference to a one-off implementation of a player interaction, for example how donkey kong country returns handled certain player inputs, relying on motion control waggling to do otherwise simple inputs, which hurt the game in order to show off unnecessary technology. That is a gimmick. In the case of Umihara Kawase, the fishing lure & rubber band physics are essential mechanics. The way this is differentiated, is not only due to the frequency and concentration of their uses, but how closely integrated the features are to the game. understanding of the fishing lure and its physics are crucial to completion of even one of the games easiest endings, and further improvements in player skill is rewarded through more, meaningful content.

That is what I feel a gimmick is best described as in game terms. I think this explanation works best due to how wide the applications can be and how accurately it can describe a variety of games.

Lastly, super meat boy is the opposite of a game with a high skill ceiling, it has a high skill floor, meaning comprehension of the mechanics at a base level is crucial to advancement in the game, but there is little area to improve outside of timing once you have that initial skill floor down.

I don't want to come off as condescending, but I've spent a lot of time working on a good way to talk about games without running head first into descriptive walls. Ways that can encapsulate discussion of all kinds of games and can coherently describe every aspect of games, because I think at the end there is a universal language in game design that can be described this way.

Sales have been dropping, not to mention how many FPSs used to come out back in the day compared to right now.

Why did fun AAA games die out?

Use lifetime sales or go home.

You sound like you're trying to fit in, user

Can't find more, but pic related shows how sales after launch are basically non-existent for these games, especially on consoles.

And you are a god damned clueless console fag who thinks Dota or CS are going to die any day.

I haven't owned a console since the PS2.

Dota will not die, I never claimed it will, I said the trend of Mobas is going to die, just like it happened with platformers and FPSs.

The game will still be there, but there won't be a massive flood of them like right now.

You're a retard.

You can't fucking lie after you just said those very things a few posts back.

Please go ahead and point them out

There are two groups that enjoyed these old platform adventures. The youth that grew up and stopped playing games or became casual gamers and those that didn't grow up (you) and can't move on.
It sucks but that's how it is.

i was ready to agree with you until i noticed you were talking about platform games and not adventure games

A Hat in Time is made by an even more Beta Phil Phish wannabe, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger was never a good game in the first place, you can enjoy it , honestly go ahead.

I guess when I said gimmick I mean something that strays too far from the simple platforming systems of jump on platforms and grab stuff, I used it pretty poorly

No I didn't think you meant a high skill ceiling is a necessity but then I just wrote it as if you did, I'm not even sure why, either way I much prefer intricate level design and solid yet relatively simple platforming mechanics, it's probably a nostalgia issue playing Super Mario Bros on the nes/snes.

I guess you are right about the Super Meat boy, it just comes down to perfecting timings which really isn't that fun.

Please go go and go a go go.

In the case that they are dying what is filling their void, if it's nothing then good.

Call of duty is by far the most famous mainstream FPS right after Counter Strike.

Showing the sales of this mainstream series dropping can directly be connected to a lowering of the general interest for the genre. This, coupled with less FPSs coming out can be logically connected to the fact that the genre is dying.

Of course some games will always keep doing it, but that's not the point I'm making here.

When Cod 4 sold like crazy, the market was flooded with clones, which have now almost completely disappeared.

Ratchet and Clank turned into a third person shooter and took the genre with it.

ratchet and clank was never that good of a platformer and was better off being a shooter with light platforming elements

In your opinion, what makes Ty the Tasmanian Tiger a bad game?

Dark souls is the new call of duty m8

Thank you justicar Putin, I was thinking on how to pinpoint the main cluster of fail in all of that. It's because it's all irrelevant shit hyperfocused on Super Mario, aside from
This here is a point. The rest is just autopsy of the thought process leading to it.

is A&CP dead?

I don't think so, they just seldomly post progress here. I think /agdg/ has a thread up about them.

They're still going, albeit as slowly as ever. I'm hoping they post something either this month or next though.

Platformers are too gamey and childish, come on OP, it's the current year, shooters are the fad now.

Were the 3D croc games really good, i thought they felt generic and liked the gameboy ones more.

Bubsy 3D is the best platformer of all time.

I want to molest Bubsy with a rusty knife.

The whole series was a complete mess. The only good thing to come out of it was Uli.

Why are shooters still saturating the market then fam?

Are they?

Battlefield Hardline failed hard.
Battlefront Reboot is dead after months from release.
Battlefield 4 is pretty dead too compared to 3.
Destiny only gets players with updates, despite being an MMO.

And I think that's it as far as FPS go in the past years

But what they did to Spyro…
Activision went too far.

Battleborn is expected to do well.

Battleborn isn't an FPS, it's a spinoff of the moba craze.

Hardline was so shitty and mismarketed considering the BF fanbase and was destined to fail.

Battlefront died out after a few months because there's no content and a shit ton of push back.

This is an outright fucking lie and you should be ashamed.
bf4stats.com/
bf3stats.com/

Destiny isn't an MMO, it uses "MMO elements" such as having like 12 random mother fuckers running around in the same area at the same time.
It's a RNG infested gambling-tier time sink of a shitty game with decent/ok gunplay. They literally tried to jew their install base at every opportunity, and even normalfags either wont or don't have the time to put up with this shit, and just jumped to Destiny 2.0 known as The Division.

All of your examples are of shitty AAA flops, while ignoring that the vast majority of the titles of these nature are still FPS games, usually with an open world forced in now that corridors are dead.

I'm pretty sure what killed it was a large focus on realism and cinematic games. During the PS2 era platformers were still a thing but when we hit the PS3/360 era and shooters became the new thing and there was a larger focus on making games look more real came a sharp decline in making platformers. Also didn't help that devs wanted to make games more like movies.

Are you trying to tell me survival games are FPS just because you play in the first person?
wut

I never mentioned survival games, just ones with a large emphasis on shootan.

BACK TO REDDIT FAGGOTS

Oh they did? I wasn't aware of that. Try Deadcore too.

Unless you mean collectathons and not speedrunners, in that case I don't really know what to recommend.

I've always assumed 3d platformers were a thing simply because platformers were the dominant 2d genre and devs were struggling to adapt to the change.

I'm sure some of them were good, but fps+2 joystick control format is dominant with 3d games for a reason, it simply works better. We are going to see something similar with VR, devs will initially try to make games and port them to VR, but after 5 years or so will learn what actually works well.

Focus groups said they should.

because the industry wanted the cod audience.

But user, fishes don't have video games.

carlos stop

Goldfish love cod.

Stop it. Stop fishposting just for the halibut. These bad puns and fish jokes making me eel.

I think its just people forgot how to make them.

You need cool characters, easter eggs, memorable bosses, and some kind of nightmare fuel for the underwater level.

I think the reason it died out was because people wanted a 3d platformer, but developers only know how to make 3d collectathons

the whole point of platformers are the platforms not the hub world and secrets

Because the internet was commericalised so kids became full on edgelords who wanted to yell at people over xbox live. Kids were the main target audience for these games.
Plus they are games and games aren't allowed. Only glorified movies.

Fuck you. Fuck you and your fish puns. You think you're so fucking clever posting like that fucking spic kid from that children's show.

Shut the fuck up you faggot. I bet you laugh at Dorkly comics and reddit-tier webcomics that regurgitate the same shitty video games themed humor. It's fucking disgraceful to cod fish for even relating them to that horrid franchise that's been the cancer that's been killing gaming you fucking shitposting faggot. I hope your dog gets shot, your grandmother dies of a heart attack and your mother gets raped you fucking shitposting spic.

lol

I never got this. Why did people suddenly feel the need to make "mature" games instead of games that are fun?

They were dying off before Galaxy and you know it. I'd even go as far to say that the death of 3D Platformers came with the end of the 64 era. Because after that, only Sega and Nintendo were really bothering anymore. It came because everyone wanted to jump on the next bandwagon. The next fad. 3D Platformers died because it was a fad, just like linear cover based shooters seem to be, just like horror games used to be, just like rhythm games used to be, and just like 2D Platformers used to be. It died because people moved on, not because you have a Galaxy hate boner.

I will agree with you that it was a shame the Galaxy games were so linear.

3D platformers died because other genres sold more and instead of respecting the niche of people who still liked 3D platformers(a few million people) the industry for the most part decided to abandon it.
And now there's an untapped market filled with thirsty customers just waiting for the next big thing.

But that's wrong, you retard. Croc was very linear. Rayman 2 was very linear. Crash Bandicoot was linear as fuck and was one of the best.

Banjo is a collectathon with anthropomorphic animal characters, but involves very little platforming. Spyro too, for that matter. These are not the same as platformers.

Also, 3D platformers were fucking dead long before Galaxy.

If you want to see what killed it, ask old Naughty Dog. Jak II was supposed to be an actual platformer, in the vein of Jak I, (which was pretty much linear like Crash but with towns as hubs instead of Warp Rooms) but focus groups said they wanted more "mature" stuff like GTA III. Fags don't want challenges of agility and dexterity, they wanna shoot shit.

I know of Ratchet & Clank this year. Arguably Tearaway a few years ago, and Sly 4 in like 2012. (Wait was Tearaway also 2012)? Then of course there's the one Mario game per gen, and 3D World might be my favorite 3D platformer ever (and they're my favorite genre), but that's still barely any. It's like one per year.

Ratchet & Clank was never the most popular, and Deadlocked and other spinoffs are the only ones that are more TPS than platformer. Up Your Arsenal drifted in that direction too (leading to Deadlocked), but the Future series stuck much more of a balance, and the new game does that too (though at the end of the new game it does begin to emphasize shooting more).

So you're the faggot who keeps telling Insomniac to ruin the series.

I liked them back in the day, but going back to play them now, the controls take a hell of a lot of getting used to. Though 10 year old me played the game just fine, so it's probably just that I've been more programmed over the years.

Rare only knew how to make 3D collectathons. Naughty Dog knew how to make 3D platformers, and they made Jak I. Audiences said it was too kiddy, so Naughty Dog tried to "mature" it up. By Jak 3 they were hiring idiots to cater to this, and now those idiots have pushed out the devs who actually knew how to make games, and cutting alt costumes that let you be fat because it triggers them.

This is the future somebody chose. But I don't know who, because it certainly wasn't me.

RTS had the shortest turn…

user Banjo-kazooie was pretty good, but Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur day were horrible games. Donkey Kong 64 was almost entirely pointless mini-games, and Conker was full of shock humor that is now no longer even shocking

I didn't say anything about their quality. I was just saying that they're not actually platformers. You do little to no platforming in any of them.

I also disagree with you. But that's another matter.

Gex and Jersey Devil

May I suggest to buy a mixer, kill your parents saw their limbs off, head off, torso off, put them into the mixer and drink it.

Hello, get out of your basements. 3D Platformer didn't die out really.

Disney Infinity
Skylanders
Lego Dimension

Yes they are the current fucking populars. Yes, the fucking Toy-to-Life games.

Especially Disney Infinity which finally stopped the license crap and yes pirate this if you don't want to buy their figures.

I'm glad they are dead.
Biggest lesson from Ocarina of Time was that 3D was meant for just for a representation of a real breathing world (unlike the first Resident Evil games) and not meant to become an excuse to complicate jumping platformers.
Nintendo is always an exception for these kind of things.

Catering to the hardcore frat bros, they don't want to play anything that looks like a cartoon or has characters with huge eyes because they think its SHIT FOR FAGS YO.

Which is exactly what call of duty and halo is. These are the same frat bros that feed each other cheetos while they play.

To put it positively, they perfected the 3D platformer, and so there was no room for growth.

i have several guesses
because they tend to be cartoony which isnt as easy to market in the day of edge. even if it tries to be edgy, itd be silly as hell to see notimportant running around collecting floating coins and jumping on peoples heads
another reason is because the main draw of 3d platformers is level design, its not as easy as just making a city set in afghanistan and having bad guys to shoot at taking cover behind camels and food carts

Too many meaningless collectables. You have to make the player excited to collect that stuff.

This is why I never really liked 3d platformers.

Collectables suck, I would rather have more challenging platforming segments and combat.

even in banjo kazooie you could enjoy the game without autistically combing every inch of the world to get all the things

Because they have been done to death, I assume. Crash and Spyro both had great first two titles, but the third was gimmick city. Its a solid line of thinking; they have to do something new to justify the price tag. I'd agree with it. Unfortunately, their best ideas were already implemented so the average and mediocre had to take stage.

There was also a jack-of-all trades situation. 3D platformers started to incorporate racing, vehicles, shooting, combat. The things what made them great in the first place were lost within the average mix of other genres.

That's the main reason.

We should not overlook the change of attitude as well though. Late 90s/early 00s was all about the edge. Kids and teens no longer wanted bright, colourful and goofy. They wanted extreme, blood, T'n'A, swears, badasses and nu-metal.

Skylanders is NOT a platformer. I'm not even being elitist, it seriously isn't. There is no platforming in that game. It doesn't even have a dedicated jump button.

oh man, care to elaborate?

they died because dumb people can't into spatial reasoning.

source: half life raising the bar on Xen

i guess it doesnt matter, i dont even know what that game is like. i just want to talk about video games

Like, you can't jump. There is no button that makes you jump.

Because you can do it in real life

dumb post, image isn't even related
aight

OoTfags truly are the worst people in the world.

You're thinking of collectathons. Those are not necessarily platformers.

Crash 3 is by far the best, with the best platforming. Getting all the platinum relics is one of the best platforming challenges there is.

you can commit incest and have inbred children in real life

Nigger don't you dare call Bad Fur Day shit.

My statement of "started to die off" was pretty stupid.

Indeed, as one of you mentioned, it was mostly with the death of the 64 that they stopped showing up and began the decline.

oh, well, if that's the argument, then platformers are still plentiful, though most are indie games.

As for the "reason" for the lack of high brow platformers?

also
kill yourself

obviously you've never met a 12 year old

Yet 12 year olds run around in minecraft, "exploring", "Running around figuring shit out"

Oh shit, right… uhhh, 12-year-olds circa 2005.

Dropped

Few are the ones that play minecraft for exploring and learn new stuff about it.
It's mostly PVP servers, building giant sprites, hunger games or autist stuff like that.

I can't think of any examples besides LISA and Undertale

Don't know about that, but if true that's kind of sad.

Citizens of Earth, as well.

I completely forgot about that game, wow. Haven't heard it mentioned since last year.

Heard the same thing about WoW :^)

Found the casual

Then again, WoW by now is an undying lich that feeds off the life of other MMOs, chinese gold farmers and uber autist NEETs to keep going forever, so there's that.

Also, what I truly miss are games where the true focus is going through levels as quickly as possible. With the current state that Sanic is now in, I wish there were more new gaems with that kind of main focus out there for me to play, since I so badly want that itch scratched of just going fast and getting gud in the process of doing so..

Was it any good?

I dunno, I haven't played it.

You didn't like Generations?

I loved Generations so much. I'm more-so talking about Sanic Boom and so forth.

Really? Care to show me any of these 3D platforming indie games? Because if they were plentiful, I don't think as many people would be getting hyped for things like Yooka Laylee or Anton & Coolpecker.

Generations was five years ago, and Boom, although being a spinoff alt continuity tie in by a different dev team, still bombed so hard that Sonic's 25th anniversary game still hasn't been announced yet, if it's gonna happen at all.

All skylanders games on 3DS and home consoles after swap force they added a jump button and platforming.

There are also the Pac-man Ghostly Adventures games, which they play like the Pac-man World games. And keep the cringe voice volume off.

I am sorry user, but it's true. Replay it and see, and by that I mean pirate it, I have only ever seen copies selling for around 90 dollars

No user, that still requires someone who wants to fuck you

Ironically they're putting out Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice this fall for the 3DS.

Because the only decent 3D platformers are Mario and Rayman,

I think its actually because Raymans devs said they didn't like Mario, so both games are able to have a good contrast with strengths and weaknesses while literally every other platformer is a copy of the two

cuz kids want would rather play medal of duty instead.

the reason 3d platformers died is because retards started to forget games are just toys and wanted it to be "art"

The only good Pac-Man World game was World 1

Delayed heavily to ensure quality, surprisingly.

It might stand a chance of actually being decent, though it'll have a horrible reputation preceding it out of the gate regardless of its quality since the cartoon's the only decent thing that's come out of it so far.

No it won't. Look at Sega's track record

Generations and that recent addition of rom hacks to Steam Workshop?

Rom hacks on steam? You jesting?

That Sega Genesis & Mega Drives Classics glorified emulator available on Steam has rom hacks up for download on the Steam Workshop, though I think the stipulation is you have to have purchased or otherwise claimed the "base" game (ie Sonic 2 to play Sonic 2 hacks). I haven't tooled with it at all since my internet's slow as balls and I haven't bothered letting it update yet.

It's an interesting move, all things considered.

Rayman is more similar to Mario than either of those games. Europoors go home.

Shit, Generations came out four & a half years ago and Sonic '06 is almost a decade old. Fire & Ice is a 2.5D game by Sanzaru games like its predecessor, Shattered Crystal.

Real question is what is the actual Sonic Team up to. Are they going to tweak the formula introduced Lost World, combine it with past gameplay styles, or scrap it altogether again?