NES Thread

So I just got an everdrive N8 for my NES. Anyone recommend me some NES games to play. My first console was the SNES so I missed out on most of the NES catalogue. I've pretty much only played Marios, Zeldas, Mega Man, and the Castlevania games. Also the main reason I bought it was to play the Fire Emblem 2 fan-translation so if anyone has tips on how to play that it would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Breed
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been meaning to put together an NES/Famicom chart sometime. Currently just have a textfile with a list of potential entries (based on games anons have brought up in the past as being worthwhile) though since I don't see NES discussion crop up all that often here. Might be of help to you, but perhaps take stuff with a grain of salt since it could use further refinement. Could certainly use more input on the fan-translated/Japan only end of things too.

Also, I'm not sure if it's of direct interest to you, but a previously moon only dungeon crawler RPG called Shadow Brain just saw a fan translation released a few days ago. Figured it might be worth giving you and possibly others a heads up on it.

Pretty much every good NES game received a better SNES version.

Thanks user

Might also want to see if any have patches that are of potential interest. For example, I seem to recall seeing something about Faxanadu having a patch that uncensors stuff; not sure how much of a difference it makes, but still.

Yeah there's also weird hacks that do stuff like fix Castlevania 2's translation. Or add a map and save function to Metroid. That I've been looking into.

Not any of the Final Fantasies.

Hacks of Super Mario Bros. 3 are worth a look into, I remember one that was absolutely fantastic and added things like the vanish cap from Super Mario 64 as potential powerups you could get later in the game but I can't remember its title for the life of me. There's also a very interesting hack of Super Mario Bros that changes everything into Air Man's stage from MM2 that's worth a look into.

All Mega Man games are worth a look into (Mega Man 1's janky in comparison to later games but it's interesting on its own) as well as Mega Man ROM hacks (Rockman 4 Minus Infinity being the most notable), there's Metroid and its save/map hack that somebody else mentioned, and Kirby's Adventure off the very top of my head.

Is it worth playing the 3 originals. I played the DS version of 3 and the PSP version of 1. I skipped 2 because I've heard nothing but bad stuff.

Those got better GBA/PSP remakes

Just download the NES folder from here:
mega:///#F!cp9jASJD!Zjcmaa_0uL75n08ZDltM9w

You should add Zelda 2, StarTropics 2, Chaos World, Sweet Home, and Final Fantasy III.

Absolute garbage. Play the NES version.

2 has a great story but it's weird as shit to actually play through. PSP remake I remember being touted as the best one.

If you've already played the DS 3 and PSP 1 there's no reason to go back and play the NES ones besides them being the originals.

If you hate difficulty and maintaining the mechanics of the original (particularly the spellcasting), sure, I guess.

This guy has it right.

There was a star tropics 2? What was wrong with the DS version of 3 besides the shit graphics?

I wish square would put out those PSP ports on the vita store.

PPSSPP's an emulator that works on toasters and is plenty to play a sprite-based game.

Will do, thanks. The last three are fan translated, right?

Yeah, called Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II apparently. Odd naming convention that leaves both scattered as far as alphabetizing goes, the way The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link are

Yeah but being able to play it on my nice big Vita screen on the go is way better for me. I mean I could run it on my phone but I hate bringing a controller around with me and it destroys battery making the whole thing pretty useless.

Also, yeah, Square-Enix has been stupid about not putting various games of theirs on the PSN or VC. In particular they seem to have it out for the stuff Enix used to publish for, since there's no Dragon Quest games, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, etc on any of them (here in the west anyhow; not entirely sure about the Japanese VC or PSN.

Yeah Valkyrie Profile has a PSP port I remember being great but not on the vita same with the 2 star ocean remakes. I really want to play a good portable version of DQ 1-3 but there is nothing. Real shame since 4-9 all have or will soon have a portable version playable on the 3DS.

The VP PSP port isn't as good as the original VP though. The QoL changes aren't present so you have to navigate through extra menus to change items on your party members among other things. The English PSX version is the best.

They tried to "modernize" the job system, but just ended up making it worse.

Yes.

Square wouldn't even bring the Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection (containing, if memory serves, Dragon Quest I, II, and III in both the original Famicom and SFC incarnations) for the Wii to the west. Though perhaps that's a blessing since they'd just accent their shit up.

Out of curiosity, is there a working eboot of the English PS1 version for use with a PSP or something? Just asking since I've heard that the PS1 version is prone to being unplayable if the disc is even slightly scratched, or something, and I'm not sure if that would also carry over to ripped versions people have made being unplayable as well if made from a worn disc.

Anyone know of any rare games that are actually pretty good, though impossible to play on actual hardware since they're so excessively expensive.

Mr. Gimmick and Little Samson are way up on the YEAH FUCK THAT pricing scale, but are goddamn amazing. Mr. Gimmick has the bullshit YOU DIDN'T FIND THE SECRET TREASURES SO YOU GET THE SHIT ENDING thing going with it, though.

Little Samson is fantastic, definitely worth checking out.

Conquest of the Crystal Palace definitely belongs on this list.

Not only was it a great game with an amazing soundtrack, but it had a lot of features that were unusual on the NES at the time it came out (shop system, AI-controlled companion, giant moving bosses, multiple routes through seemingly linear stages.)

Also historically noteworthy, as it seems it's the first game designed by Yasumi Masano (the Vagrant Story/Final Fantasy Tactics guy). Some people even claim it's the same composer he always works with, too, though the music in Crystal Palace is COMPLETELY different from the usual Tactics flavour.

Boku no Battletoads.

Also get pic related, one of the best SMB1 romhacks out there

If you like JRPGs be sure to check out the Dragon Warrior series, as well as Earthbound/Mother which is a great Everdrive game as there is no way in hell you're getting your hands on a legit copy given the English translation never reached the production stage.

Oh and if old JRPGs are too grindy for you then there are a few fan hacks of Earthbound/Mother that reduce the difficulty (which is excessive, but JRPGs were the Dark Souls of the day so I love it) and even improve the graphics (though unless you have an RGB modded NES I'd give the graphic improvements a pass, as it looks pretty shit over composite).

Nazo No Murasamejou
Akumajou Densetsu
Little Samson
Mr. Gimmick
The vast majority of the Kunio Kun games
Pooyan
Battle City
Goonies 1

Nigger the original FF1 and 2 were literally broken

the Mega Mans were great. The first zelda game was a classic. StarTropics and it's sequel.

There was a batman game I remember playing which was tough as shit, but I had a ton of fun. Ill post more if I remember more games.

super mario bros, all entries

What's boku no battletoads I can't seem to find it on emuparadise it is it a romhack of something or just a japanese game with that name?

What's the best video output the NES can achieve? Is there any needed mods for the system nowadays?

Does it match the Genesis for RGB output?

it's pretty rare, you might have to look for a while

Oh so this is just some extension of the old meme I guess.

You need RGB mods for everything except the Sharp Titler. The mods are well worth it, though, lord knows the NES needs it.

I've actually got a top-loading NES the huge hassle it saves you for not having to fiddle with connectors far outweighed the output issues. I'm only using an old generic CRT anyways it doesn't even have component-in on it. I have been looking into getting the RCA mod for it though I haven't really looked into much is there a better mod for the top-loading NES?

Noted. Thank you user. Isn't there an audio mod for it as well?

A stereo mod I think. Also, you can enable the Famicom expansion sounds either through the motherboard and a resistor, or a resistor on a Famicom converter, but I don't know if that includes the FDS sawtooth or not.

A great game with the absolute most unfortunate title in vidya history

Crytalis is a pretty good RPG that's from SNK. It's a lot better than Zelda but few people know about it.

Spelunker is a classic platforming game that's difficult but fair.

Balloon Fight is still great if you have someone else to play with.

Wait is it an action adventure like zelda or an RPG?

It's a bit of both, watch some gameplay footage to get an idea.

I'll look into adding, thanks. Is it in English by any chance, or a Japan only game that's still playable without needing to know moon?

What are some good Romhacks? I remember playing a decent Castlevania 1 romhack. Chorus of Mysteries I think it was called.

And are the Battlekid series worth playing?

Super Mario 3mix and the save&writing fix patches for Castlevania 2, Metroid Map + Saving hacks, Zelda Automap + Link's Awakening graphics… Can't think of many others offhand, because my Everdrive went MIA somewhere in my collection.

It did get an English release (published by Asmik).

Apparently some things were censored from the Japanese version (notably that a later stage set in Hell originally had walls made out of screaming babies), but the game is still amazing.

The story is unchanged, and playing it in English is helpful for the hints (and news reports) Kim gives you in the shop.

The Japanese version was apparently called "Maten Douji".

I'll make note of both versions then.

The Guardian Legend is great. It's basically, a Zelda / Vertical Scrolling Shoot 'em Up hybrid. You find pits in the overworld that lead to shoot 'em up stages, and collect key items and shit throughout the world traveling back and forth as you unlock more shit. And your character is an animu grill that somehow turns into a spaceship.

Every time I play that game I'm just reminded that I want to take it on with an arcade stick.

I need to build me one.

What game?

I just remembered another game if you're still making a chart.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Breed

I think I saw a box of that when I was searching for something a while back; seemed like the proportions were odd and got me wondering if Japan had a standardized size/proportion for their Famicom boxes (or if I might have to potentially fudge some of them slightly).

How is it? Certainly not one I've seen brought up much.

It's a pretty good strategy RPG. It's kind of like the missing link between Fire Emblem and Langrisser.

The Guardian Legend thanks to the vert shmup sections.

Neat, seem to recall hearing it was fan translated as well. I'll start a section for those games, provided I get more of them to add. Don't tend to see fan translated Famicom games brought up that much though.

That's probably because most NES games can be played without needing to understand the text, aside from things like adventure games and RPGs.

Also, I forgot to mention Famicom Wars. It's where the Advance Wars series started.

Mostly meant that I just don't see much discussion of them anyhow. I mean, for various older systems, threads on them are infrequent enough, but getting input on fan translated games for them tends to be even more difficult, since in many cases the patches come out for them long after the system has ceased to be current, and as such people here generally don't have the same fond memories of playing them growing up, the way they might for what was either western developed or at least did get brought over.

Alright, added

So, as far as fan translated games I've least heard/seen a bit of discussion on in the past, I've got the following as potentials right now:
Figured I'd mention them if people want to add more to/remove from the list.

Casuals go home, it as just right as it was.

Nigger where is Mighty Final Fight, Super Mario Bros 2 (USA version), Zelda II, and Duck Tales 2,

Adding them, thanks for the heads up.

You forgot The Lone Ranger and 3D World Runner.

Duck Hunt is also easily trumped by Hogan's Alley and I'm not sure if you've played Maniac Mansion on NES, but it's got poor controls, a bunch of shit censored and is overall a spit in the face of the EGA IBM PC version that came out two years prior.

Thanks for the heads up. As I don't see much NES discussion usually, some anons said in prior discussions that using some existing Holla Forums lists that people had saved from years back would make for a potentially good starting place, so having people help further refine it (both adding to and removing stuff that really doesn't belong) helps a good bit.

Adventure Island
Bomberman
Bomberman II
Arkanoid
B-Wings
Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers 2
Clu Clu Land (Mostly because it is a Nintendo classic)
Tetris 2 + Bombliss (From Bullet Proof Software)
Twin Bee
Also Little Nemo is misspelled.

Look for games from these companies:
Konami, Jaleco, Namco, Taito, Hudson Soft, HAL Laboratory, Capcom and obviously Nintendo.

Congrats on the Everdrive-N8. I'm poor, so I stick to emulation (Higan/Nestopia UE).

Here are some good ones to keep you going.

Kirby's Adventure
Little Samson
Ninja Gaiden I & II
Metroid
Mega Man I & II (if you haven't already)
River City Ransom
Double Dragon
Crisis Force
Life Force
Contra
Smash TV
R.B.I. Baseball
Bases Loaded
Tecmo Super Bowl

Have fun!

Nazo No Murasamejou is another NES game worth playing. Rather, it's an FDS title, and is The Legend of Zelda if it were a top down arcade hack and slash.

Street Fighter 2010, The Guardian Legend, and Clash at Demonhead are some good ones that aren't well known. The two Star Wars games with the same name are alright too, though the Japanese one is hard as balls. There's also a bootleg of Donkey Kong Country that's actually pretty neat. Then there's romhacks like SMB3Mix and Simon's Quest Redaction.

Do FDS roms work on the everdrive? I never really liked the remake of SMB2 on SNES.

So apparently disk system actually do work on the overdrive. However the sound is kind of borked but I'd bring worked on. Which brings me to an issue that unfortunately might not be fixable. I wanna play the Japanese version of castlevania 3 on the thing unfortunately because of the sound chip the music is all busted, real shame.

So apparently the overdrive does support the sound expansion chips natively the issue is the NES doesn't. So if you have a front loading NES you have to install a simple mod. The top loading NES requires you to mod the console and you also need to bridge 2 connectors on the everdrive itself. Of course I am using a top loading NES.

Added those to the list, thanks.