That's X-Com baby

That's X-Com baby

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardry-8-enhancements-a-call-to-arms.79581/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Although, first aid isn't THAT bad.

Damn, HOMM3 is ugly compared to the first two.

Wisdom, Earth&Air magic are mandatory.

Eagle eye might be alright if it was guaranteed to work 100% of the time and allow you to learn spells that you otherwise would not be able to. In HoMM 5 it was ability under enlightenment so you only had to "waste" one level for it and while it did alwys work you still had to be proficient in that magic school to learn the spell.

Can't keep a black man down, son.

WE

WUZ

user, I…

Herooz

So, fan made HD mods an expansions are good,
Anything by Ubisoft is crap, but especially in the case of HoMM? Right?

Pretty much, yeah.
HoMM V is alright though.

WE WUZ KNAITZ
Does this please you, user?

No.

;_;

Good job user.
Currently playing MM7, started the light path. Starting to feel pretty strong but no idea how I can get to the Pit. Don't want to use any guides, but damn..

Does M&M7 at least let you put markers on the map?
Naw, naw.

Nope. I write them down, which in which city. I still don't remember what map connects to what, but at least flying makes travelling so much better.

Well shit.
Oh well, anyway having beaten 6 there's one thing I'll never, ever have to do EVER again.

WHAT THE FUCK PHANTOM POST

I just noticed, if you rightclick on the minimap on a house it tells you what it is, dunno if that is in MM6 as well, I never knew.

They don't make dungeons like they used to.

Just got MnM 7 from GoG, if only because you get to meet motherfucking Sandro and do quests for him.
I expect grate things.

I aggroed dozens of fireflies and lured them back into the starting village, eradicating the peasants and leaving only the guards standing.
Am I playing it right?

More or less, yeah. Other option is to aggro a few, shoot them with bows / magic, and repeat.

Also, did you get the magic wand of fireballs? Think carefully about that.

I got some stuff out of the dragon caven but I haven't id'd anything yet, was too busy teaching merchant and bow to everyone.

Good idea.
About that dragon..
You can't return to the island when you leave. You gotta be real cheesy to beat it, but looting is a great idea.

You mean the starter island?

MM7 has a diary where you can read skill trainer locations after meeting them once, no markers though

Yeah. So do whatever you want on the island, you can even kill everyone if you'd like.

The pony cursor in 5 was obnoxious. It took a long while to warm up to it at all. Also faggot angels that don't wear no shoes.

I was instantly repulsed by 6, who's city screens looked like they were cobbled together in bryce 3d. Dropped it and never returned.

Did 7 actually come out, I never even kept track of it.

That said, I still love 4. Aside from the chaos campaign.

We did it reddit!
Though after I got used to the news system I restarted with goblin knight, goblin thief, dorf cleric and elf sorceress.
Any artifacts I should be keeping an eye out for?

*new

JUST

Never eve

Not sure, but in any case you have some good high-level stuff.

Castle Darkmoor, Tomb of VARN, and Temple of Baa were god tier.

aw hell yes

Some idiot mod will probably ban me again for "spamming" even though it's the site that's fucked almost as badly as his boypvssy.

Where did you find that thing?

The dragon cave on starter island, killed him, saved before picking up his corpse and loaded until I got something good.

homm 6 is pretty good

But there were no more homm games after 3.

even if you dont like 6 you have to like 5 or else you cant like 3

But there were no more homm games after 3. It was a fantastic trilogy, too bad they stopped being made, but it's best to end on a high note.

whatever provides your bovine with buoyancy

What was that other tbs game someone posted in a tbs thread that they thought was a decent spiritual successor to homm3? I forget the name of it, but it looked decent, it had hexes and came out more recently.

was it age of wonders?

No. It might have started with an E.

eador

That's it. Is Eador: Genesis any good?

everyone whos played it seems to like it but i have no idea, i tried getting in to it but i couldnt get my mouse working properly so i hung myself.

that was months ago, it would flicker a lot or not show up, or just look like a missingno.
well its working now. thanks for spurring me to try it again user

Playing old games makes me want to make a massive dungeon crawl mod in Neverwinter Nights 2. Then I remember no one ever plays it, or will ever play it. Then I go back to old games.

I need to play M&M7 some time. Mandate of Heaven was GOAT tier, and I've heard that arcomage is a really good minigame.

IMO M&M7 is better than M&M6 in the gameplay department. It has much better turn-based mode (you can actually move in turn-based), better skill system (grandmastery), better storyline (it branches, you can choose to be evil or good with different class promotions based on that, like lich vs an archmage) better everything except content. M&M6 is the much bigger game with better dungeons. I always tend to replay M&M7 because I'm a systems and mechanics guy, but I know some people prefer 6 for its size.

I need dungeons like 6 or it will be boring. Castle Darkmoor took me about 5 hours to finish and I fucking hated the evil eyes, but it was such a damn good dungeon that I still loved it.

Also the connected world was fantastic. Enroth was such a great place. I made this by cropping and exploring everymap in my playthrough.

Why do slavs like HoMM3 so much?

Why do americans like burgers so much?

A silly question if you've ever had a good one.

I ate at Five Guys for the first time in my life a few weekends ago, and the burger I had was really really good.

if i had to guess, slavs have always liked board games, which tbs shares a lot of similarity with. or am i mistaken? perhaps their love of strategy is due to how theyre constantly fighting wars.

its just what happens to be around. thats how it usually is, isnt it? cant go 10 feet without bumping in to a fast food joint selling boigas.

Erathia > Enroth

Eking's Bounty?

Its Antagarich you scrub

Fucking hell, I'm way further in the game and only now stat wise I'm coming close, but that Speed +40 holy fuck.

If MM6 taught me anything is that "of darkness" weapons make the best weapons. Life leech + faster attack speed.

Too bad speed and attack speed is hardcapped really early in all the games in the same engine (6-8). Being a melee character with super high DPS was actually possible in 3-5 due to number of attacks scaling, in 6-8 you're kind of just boned and have to treat melee as damage shields.

Both in turn-based and real-time?

Yeah, the mechanics are the same. 6-8 switched to a recovery time system that is really bad for melee scaling. There's a hard cap on how low your attack speed can get–so if you have lots of speed, you want to keep equipping slower and slower weapons to keep getting damage returns from it. I forget the exact cut-offs, but in 8 for example the moment you hit Master daggers you were already wasting recovery speed by using daggers.

The lack of a "number of attacks" stat is just a bummer in general, 3-5 had the perfect system for melee where you could get absurdly high damage as your number of attacks got really high. In 6-8 you have very little growth of melee power due to the recovery speed system.

WELL THAT FUCKING SUCKS

Don't get me wrong, it still has an effect, and you should be chugging a black potion for every stat. It's just something to be aware of. The 6-8 games have a lot of really dumb mechanics if you dig under the hood, the games are meant to be engaged with at a simple, having-fun level. Once you start powergaming them you discover these huge holes you could drive a bus through… both advantageous to the player, and not. The way attack/defense formula works is even more absurd and infuriating than speed, for instance.

sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics

This is a good reference. I think he also mentions where the fixes (which everyone uses) changed some of that, like speed capping being slightly less brutal.

Homm2 is fucking beautiful

Good to know.

Question about HoTA mod for HoMM 3- can I not play the original campaigns of RoE, AB and SoD if I have it installed?

fuck.

Kill yourself.

so you can keep reloading until he drops something good you hypocrite?

Is there someplace I can store my junk? There's reagents and shit everywhere.

That's what NWC gets for Castle Darkmoor and monsters with near 100% chance to break your shit fam

There are two chests in front of the throneroom in your castle, you can store stuff in there.

bump

god i miss these kind of screens

I know that there is Sandro in M&M8 but hes also in 7? Where?

I WAS WRONG FUCK

So I have 4-8 for some random reason I can't remember.
Anyone to play first or should I just go in order?

If you're a newfag, play 6-8. In that order.

6 can be hard to get into if you like turn-based… you can't move in the turn-based mode of 6, which is shitty. That's why I almost never play it, and prefer 7. 8 is a footnote, but not as bad as people say, it just gets a bad rap because the others are significantly better.

3-5 are VERY good games and offer a lot of features and a style of gameplay that 6-8 don't, but you will have to be okay with the Dosbox jank. If you can play them on an actual DOS machine with real hardware I would say they are the best games of the series, but most people do not have that opportunity.

How DosBox jank we talking here.
We talking full on Magic shit like features flat out not working?

NWN2 is easier to find all the mods for than NWN1 though, the community has been fantastic in preserving all the stuff ign had on their nwn vault when they closed it down.

You never played the dungeon crawly expac for it? There were a lot of good mods for that, I just wish the game were based on a better ruleset. Warlocks in 3.5 just feel cheaty, like "oh look I have 4.0 mechanics but you guys dont!"

It's funny you say that, but most people consider them a very bad class. Sure the first few levels are maybe a little easier than for sorcerors/wizards, but everything after that sucks balls.

Are you still talking about NWN2 and not 1? I don't recall a dungeon-crawly expac for 2. You had Mask of the Betrayer which was a full-on Avellone-ish storyfag expansion, and Zehir, which had a huge focus on open world travelling and party mechanics. I didn't much like Zehir despite loving all its ideas on paper, but Mask was great. I never really got into the NWN2 community sadly, despite playing it a lot over the years. The first time I played it the community wasn't there yet because it had just come out, and when I tried it again later the community was dead because… uh… the community was dead? I dunno, it's sad, I really like the toolset but it's never had enough people playing it to justify releasing content for it, at least as far as my logic goes.

Just operating off my personal experience trying to get it running properly in Dosbox, I could never get it to a level of performance that feels "right"–that's probably just my personal distaste for Dosbox compromises rearing its head though. 3-5 are very traditional dungeon-crawling blobbers, so you want it to feel very smooth and precise as you zoom across the map a dozen tiles at a time. I was never able to get a cpu cycles setting that made it run smoothly while at the same time not having fucked-up animations (everything super fast), not to mention the sound issues where the default soundfont in Windows will make what is supposed to be a door opening sound turn into a horrendously loud ringing telpehone. And this sound effect plays in almost every room as you move through doors.

None of this prevents you from playing, but it may make the experience not very enjoyable (as it did for me, I never played them much in Dosbox as a result). It's a pity, in some ways 3-5 have vastly superior mechanics to 6-8. If I still had my old native Dos machine I'd play them every year probably.

So you think I would notice it if I never played 3-5 before?
I mean I'm no stranger to old ass RPGs so I won't be turned off by less approachable features.
Unless the entire game from start to finish is getting the true ending to Wizardry 4

You will definitely notice the game blowing out your eardrums with a BRING BRING telephone noise whenever you open the door. I guess if you are playing with the sound off it might all work out well.

3-5 are also from an era when you can't really play without reading the manual first. So if you have to ask, you should probably play 6 & 7 first, since those games have an unusually modern UI complete with right-click tooltips and all that jazz. If you finish 6 & 7 and are hungry for more, or want some better, turn-based combat with melee characters who don't suck, try 3-5.

If you are used to early Wizardry games you will probably feel right at home in 3-5. You might even find them too easy. Might & Magic series was never super extreme. It's just a question of whether you get turned off by the first hour or so. Most people who cannot into old games of that sort are really just struggling with the UI or Dosbox compatibility, after all.

Well thanks, I guess I'll try to get 4 in working order and then see if I can get through that.
Worse comes to worse I can always jury-rig a special DoSbox for it.
I've done it before for Wizardry 3

Thanks for responding

Just a small sidenote

Of the 3-5 series, people generally consider Xeen (5) the best by far. You should play through 3 and 4 first if you absolutely want the whole "story" (veteran M&M fans laugh here at the notion you're playing these games for the story), but most people just skip straight to 5, because it's a huge, fun game with a solid 100+ hours of gameplay. Some people even claim 200+. It's two games in one (Darkside and Lightside) now packaged as one complete game with some bonus quests for going between the worlds.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Clouds & Darkside are 4 & 5 retrospectively, it's just that most places you download "Xeen" or 5, you actually get 4 & 5 packaged together as one Xeen game.

Ok, I have a party of knight, thief, cleric and sorceress in MM7. Does this mean I won't ever be able to get black potions from alchemy?

Pretty much, unless you buy them.

son of a bitch, should've made a druid I guess but I wanted 2 casters who can train dark/light spells.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Still, it's a very solid party and you will have enough dosh to buy enough potions when you encounter them. Just don't forget to get Merchant.

Did you figure out how stealing works? Is it even worth to train?

Hold control and click. Higher skill, higher chances. I usually have way too much gold, but sometimes there's some nice stuff in stock. If you have skillpoints to spare, I guess? Haven't done much with it personally.

I guess if you feed your thief horseshoes then you can save on spellbooks.

But then again my thief has to train his disarm trap because traps are absolutely brutal. In MM6 you could get disarm to 4, get expert and that'd solve a lot of problems but in 7 they rape.

Yeah, that's what I use my thief the most for. Disarming traps and ID'ing items. The few times I accidentally didn't use the right person it blew up in my face. Literally.

last bump

Comfiest games in existence: the thread

To this day I'm looking for more info on this setup.

this seems kinda unplayable to me.. you'd have to physically move instead of scrolling the screen

fucking russians

Vocal commands brah.

anyone /wizardry/ here?

I was a Might & Magic guy growing up, but enjoyed Wizardry 8. I've honestly played more Wizardry clones than actual Wizardry games. The japs sure love to churn them out.

(Not that I mind. I wish the west still did.)

doesn't japan own the license for wizardry games nowadays?

Actually that appears to be Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Yeah, but the point is that used to be an entire genre. Now only the japs bother to make games in that style, because they loved Wizardry. Kickstarter nostalgia projects gave us a few blobbers, but it's still basically a dead genre in the west, development wise.

Well… Dark Spire… was kind of close?
That's the most recent western game I can think of that I'd describe as Wizardry like.
At least I think that was western

Ultimas, Wizardries and M&Ms made crpgs.

WE WUZ

This. Fuck the casual shits that think baldurs gate was some great gift to crpgs.

I have an aversion to isometric cRPGs, the only ones I loved were Fallout 1 and Planescape Torment. Baldur and others threw me off after about 3 hours of gameplay

pls

It's normal, bladder's gates are shit.

we wuz lordz

In vanilla wiz 8 valkyries >>> lords as hybrid priests anyway.

ik, i just did that for the meem

my party looks like this

Vi and Myles are earned later as you may know

Shamefully I never finished wiz 8 . I've played it for a while, then dropped it for whatever reason and reinstalled it today with hopes of finally going trough the rest of the game.

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardry-8-enhancements-a-call-to-arms.79581/

I suggest you create a graph…
You'll find that they rarely overlap.

It always felt like I was playing a bunch of retard chavs… 8 guys gank one lvl2 lizard and.
Didn't feel heroic. I could get 4 psychopaths getting together, but 8?

I could try replaying it as a drunken brawl roleplay

that + nostalgia gaming is incredibly strong here
You have a lot of players here aged 25-40 that only obsessively play classics such as m&m games, gothic series, majesty, knights and merchants and others

i'm polish for reference

sweet, I might try it
I've already fixed the combat speed by using wiz8fast.exe but the other things in this seem quite nice too

Well you could make a graph
and see if they overlap

Please don't. Holla Forums graphs are ALWAYS fucking cancer

Do you have a graph to back that up?

There could also be the thing that there was a limited amount of games. People shared with floppies so if a game got in the "flow of floppy sharing", then everyone got it. And if you have only 2 games, you know them good.

Also, when you have depression, you want to play games. It was something you enjoyed to do, you know it theoretically brings you joy. But you don't have the energy to learn anything new and you just don't want to get disappointed again, so you usually just play old games over and over again. I'm not saying, but I am.

Yeah, my first copy of Heroes 3 was a CD that I copied from my friend who copied it from a friend etc

All pirated HoMM 3 copies in Pollackland could probably be traced to that one rich kid.

Probably. And before the CDs all floppies with non-polish games could be traced to that one bazaar guy who mass-bought games from germany and UK and copied them onto his own floppies.

good times

Um, you can't post anime pics on Holla Forums.

Do you want a thread full of smug anime girls? Because those kind of comments are exactly how you get a thread full of smug anime girls.

They wouldn't be so smug if they knew they're actually a Korean creation, not Japanese!

Fool you have opened the box of Pandora.

Armorer spce is OP as shit

More MM7 stuff
JUST

last bmp

It was made by a jap company, last I checked. So par for the course.

Town Portal's wack as fuck in MM8 too. The map is so weird for it.

Good thing is it's not that hard to get to GM in the MM games that had it, you will max out your mastery bonuses before you're even in the mid-game if you're obsessive enough.

Literally monkeypaw.jpeg

bump

HAHA TIME TO FAP

Hory sheet.

Okay I think I played enough to decide- the best addition to 7 after 6 is the Invisibility spell.
All that loot.
All those barrels.

Weird, huh

Raise Dead

That's not how you spell arcomage.

I cast invisibility and then play arcomage.

all your cheap drawing crews belong to us

bump

Bump

I like how everyone in fantasyland turns into Saudis firing their AK-47's in the air when they get their hands on the lasers.

Guilty of that as of MM6.
But come the fuck on, they're pew pew pew blasters.

Thank you based Clanker's Laboratory.

I'M NOT EVEN FINISHED YET

Awwww sheeit nigga I was just playing Wizardry 8.

Is Wiz 8 inclusive enough for current year?

I wanted to get into the original might and magic series and the original wizardry games, but I was wondering which ones are the best ones out of all of them and you would recommend. I remember some of them not being to popular or liked. Could someone describe the gameplay?

Have you played Legend of Grimrock?

I have played both of them.

Good, so MMs and Wizardries are like LoGs except much less puzzle heavy, with bigger and open-er world. Oh, and obviously more characters, quests etc. And latter titles don't have tile-based movement.

Alright. Sounds fun. Are there particularly any good or bad ones like with ultima? Are any of them similar to Daggerfall? I have been in a mood to play games similar to that lately for the longest time.

I think most would agree that Might n Magic peaked with 5-8, though 5 is a bit dated, most people like 6 or 7 the best.
With Wizardry people like The Dark Savant saga the best, which is 6-8. I personally like 8 the best.
What similarities to Daggerfall are you looking for?

I suppose the open ended gameplay in character development and exploration.

My Felpurr Samurai shouldn't have to conform to your oppressive social constructs of gender.

Agree with Wizardry 6-8 being the best. You can import your party from 6 into 7 and from 7 into 8. 8 is the absolute best, and depending on what happened in the past, you can actually start on different corners of the planet in 8 if you import your party, as opposed to the standard start.

If you only have time for one Wizardry game, it's Wizardry 8. Otherwise, play those from 6 and on. The older Wizardry games aren't bad, they're just not as good, and completing these games without resorting to a guide like a casual is going to take long enough as is.

They're pretty open and there are very few areas that are locked. Generally if you want to go somewhere and can deal with monsters/traps etc one way or another (running, invisibility, combat) you can.

Also this guy seems legit

anyone /landsoflore/ here?

Never really played 1 much, but Lands of Lore 2 & 3 I really liked.

I seem to be the only person who liked 3. I get that it had the problem of early and shitty 3D, but I enjoyed it despite its faults. 2 was hilarious, though–one of my favorite games not because it's particularly good as a game, but because the developers understood the best thing about FMV acting in a vidya is the reactions when the players start trolling. I still have yet to see a game with as many hilarious animations for butchering random civilians. The fact you could even do it to certain shopkeepers was gold.

And the moment in the Draracle's lair where you walk into that time-trap mirror and see your character start to age visibly and turn into an old man… fucking golden. Old Westwood was the best.

that elf in the middle is pretty hot tho.

Go away, diversity police.

Personally, I always liked the modern re-implementation of HoMM.

I wish they still made games like this, there's still value in grid based dungeon crawlers.

I tried playing Homm3 once, tried the three possible first battles around and lost completely on all of them.

Should I maybe look up some beginner's guide or something.

You could try a beginner map or something, picking up homm 3 isn't hard at all.

Knowing what fights to pick is a huge part of the game. Baiting the battle AI is easy, so once you know how to do that it's all about avoiding attrition.

you see, there are different tiers of units. the higher tier the stronger units well, there are exceptions, like gryphs and swordsman . you generally want to fight units of the lowest tier possible at the start

It's pretty impressive how little this game was developed /improved since its first version, king's bounty.

It's pretty impressive how badly it's declined too.

dont you 404

Heroes III was the last game though, it ended on a high note. ;_;

i like 4 as much as 3

HoMM 4 had so many good ideas but was fucked beyond redemption, not finished, barely any AI, no balance (lol death town).

I kinda liked the way 4 handled heroes, but it was so damn ugly.

Just look at that city screen.

And those models, dose animations.
Fucking leprechauns or behemoths, they still haunt me.

Again, see
I wasn't kidding, the Mage Knight board game is directly inspired by HoMM, and while it's not exactly the same, it really captures the feeling.

Each player controls a hero, who explores a semi-random map, fighting monsters to level up, gaining the ability to lead a bigger army and gaining new skills (it even has the pick-one-of-two thing), finding items, taking control of keeps, burning monasteries for loot, beating up mages and taking their spells, and ultimately assaulting well-defended cities as the ultimate goal.

To hell with where the series went, play what the series inspired.

are these pics yours? you need to put wash on your figs. also highlights on gloves and boots would be good

Hell no, they're google's. It's also because everything is prepainted, most people including myself probably don't want to be bothered with it. There's just not enough detail there to begin with.

So, boardgame moba?

No that exists already, its called Rum & Bones.

Does necromancy auto-activate in HoMM3?
I've never resurrected any corpses in any of the games I've played with a necromancer hero.

It's a passive, yes. You need empty slots, ofc.

If you look in the bottom-right corner after a battle it'll briefly show you how many skellies you raised.

bump

Jesus fucking christ no. Were you not paying attention or something? It's a tabletop HoMM.

The mix of science and fantasy is just done poorly in M&M.
You have caveman flying spaceships.

40K did it sorta right.

Alright fams, finished MM7 today and generally the experience was better than MM6. Shorter and smaller but better. Maybe not having an early way to cheese it like NWC HQ had something to do with it. Also equipment breaks less often than in 6 and that's a big improvement.
Went with light route because I thought how can you beat day of gods, day of protection and power hour but dark has magic shotgun, dragon breath, infinite vampiric weapon and such.
Choices.

Oh, and Pain Reflection or whatever that was called. Nasty as hell.

sauce?

>filters

Sup satana

Started again, this time going with the dark side.
Party is thief/monk/cleric/sorceress.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the HQ filter as it makes everything fuzzy and blurry, but I absolutely love the way normal filter looks like.
I need to figure out how to get Normal6x working in dosbox

one last bump

daily reminder that the M&M franchise is owned by ubisoft

how awful was M&M X? i never got around to play it

me too. mainly because

M&M X is mediocre
is more in style of 1-5 than 6-8

Like it's needed.
Ubisoft owns (Ho)MM
Bethesda owns Fallout
Jap juice own Wizardry
EA owns Ultima