Why of all the Hasbro franchises does G.I. Joe have the worst luck in reboots?

Why of all the Hasbro franchises does G.I. Joe have the worst luck in reboots?

Almost all of these renditions just became forgotten over the years while compared to something like Transformers which has had big success in new lines/shows.

I think going along the lines of G.I Joe Renegades could work again. Many of the reasons I see people mention are "The government are not well liked anymore and people do not like the military" however Renegades was mostly about how the Joes were in the wrong and Cobra was basically controlling the government and covering up shit all the time.

All I ask is if they ever make a new G.I. Joe cartoon is stop it with the Snake Eyes circle jerk.

basically this. back during the cold war, being pro-military was pretty much a given unless you were a literal hippie. nowadays, after several decades of pointless wars in the middle east, even a lot of the conservative voter base is starting to dislike the military industrial complex.

Of course the lefties don't want this shit existing.

but it was a multicultural organization with literal commies in it too

I remember how Snake Eyes became the Wolverine of G.I. Joe after awhile, especially in the comics.

Snake Eyes in the 80s was apparently a black belt in like 7 different martial arts,an expert in a multitude of bladed weapons, and had immense knowledge of NATO smalls arms like pistols and SMGs

Anyone got a torrent?

It's all about appearances, dubs. GI Joe might have had just about every race represented, but if it was in support of something vaguely patriotic, they'd hate it.

I really wanted that comic to continue. It had just started getting interesting when they canceled it.

I know. I actually own (in storage somewhere) the story arch issue in that pic. It really was very good. I might poke fun at Marvel's "gijoe starring SNAKE EYES", but for the most part the actual comics were not bad.

Snake Eyes was ridiculous.

He was basically the Joes trump card for any battle. I kinda like how Duke was fleshed out in Renegades. He reminds me of Captain America for some reason.

How would you guys make a GI Joe cartoon?

Requesting a webm

Thanks

This is just beautiful.

Amazing

I have an idea for a GI Joe animated movie. Its a future GI Joe story. So it starts out with the Joes finally defeating Cobra and Cobra Commander tries to transfer his concious into one of the synthoid drones but fails. The Joes check his body but it's dead. So the powers of the world split the Cobra loot and weaponry amongst themselves and use it to their own advantage. Meanwhile, new terrorist groups rise up to fill the vacuum that Cobra left. So to tackle it the UN becomes more powerful and uses the Joes to kill the terrorists. The Joes are becoming weary of this UN power so they retire and the UN recruits some new guys to fill in the blank. Scarlet and Snake eyes settle down and open up a dojo in Colorado but can never shake the feeling that something is off. Duke has gone off the grid and thinks Cobra is still active so he keeps looking. Years later this UN faction has become a supra-national government entity like the EU and is nearly complete in forming a one world government. The leader of this UN is an Indian politician guy named Sharma. The new Joes fight fringe terrorist groups including a new Cobra group but this Cobra is weaker than the old one. Its like the difference between Neo Nazis and the original Nazis. The new Cobra group is lead by a new Commander. The new Joes fight this new Cobra Commander and decimate his forces but he gets away. The Indian guy tells the new Joes to "convince" some holding out nations to become part of this new world order. The new world order has its benefits and people seem better off but there is a darkside to it. Kinda like Demolition Man. Some of the old Joes confront the New Joes and are skeptical of this new government and of the New Joes. This sucks for the leader of the New Joes since she is a fan of the old ones. The New Joes are sent on a mission to force a part of Michigan to join the New World Order. It is held by the new Cobra Commander. The Joes defeat the new Commander and take off his helmet revealing he is this emo looking guy. The new commander spits at the Joes and tells them they are government dogs. The leader of the new Joes is suspicious of the new government and asks some questions to the new Cobra Commander. The new Cobra Commander explains he founded the new Cobra because the New World Order forced his parents and community out of work because it got replaced by Machines and some 3rd world labor. So as a result The new Cobra Commander founded Cobra to stop the New World order. The leader of the new Joes goes to consult the old Joes about the New World order. The old Joes consist of Snake Eyes, Scarlet, Lady Jaye, Flint, Tunnel Rat, Stalker and some others. They agree to help the new Joes uncover what is behind the New World Order but they have to find Duke who went off the grid a long time ago. They find Duke and he is disheveled and bearded. He reveals to them that Cobra Commander is still active and has been manipulating the New World Order. Later the old Joes and the new Joes are captured by some goons from the New World Order. A man walks up to them and it is Sharma who reveals himself to be Cobra Commander. He explains that he succesfully transferred his mind into a synthoid body and has been assuming different identities to manipulate the world into having a one world government where he can rule over it. He plans on killing the old and new Joes but Duke taunts him by saying that he is a pussy because he has to hide who he is rather than rule openly. The Commander bitch slaps Duke and leaves them to be eaten by a giant snake. Both old and new Joes escape and have to prove that Sharma is Cobra Commander. They get some more evidence and take it to the world government. However, since they are fugitives they have to infiltrate the place but meet resistance. They fight until they provide the evidence to the world leaders right as they are about to finalize having a one world government that Sharma is Cobra Commnader. Sharma flips his shit and guns down some of the world leaders and some of the Joes. Sharma forces the world to have a one world government and tries to use drugs to get the people to obey him but the old and new joes stop him. Sharma is sent to prison and the remaining world leaders reconsider on having a one world government. It ends with the leader of the new Joes talking to Duke and overcoming their differences. They ponder about the fate of the future and agree that it is best for mankind to decide on their own rather than have it forced down their throats. They leave optimistic and go about their lives. That is a general overview of this idea I have planned. There are some details I didn't go into as much but I hope you guys like it. Does it sound good to you?

TLDR version;
GI Joes defeat Cobra. New World order government rises up. Old Joes leave it but New Joes get recruited. Turns out leader of New World Order is Cobra Commander and old joes and new joes team up to stop him.

Every episode would be Lady Jaye in a compromising situation.

You forgot the best one.

What episode is that from?

Here, have that in better quality.

The episode where she gets turned into a little girl and loses her pants providing the only panty shots in GI Joe.

"Grey Hairs and Growing Pains" she and mainframe and some one else get turned to kids while three others get turned to old people. At some point jaye loses her pants, they were too small and fall off while she is dodging some robots and goes the rest of the ep without them. when she gets turned back to normal she is as she says "a little to big for her britches"

Thanks guys.

Zarana still got it bad giving Mainframe the eye in that one too.

I doubt GI Joe will be a productive franchise again. The 80's were a very peaceful time for Americans. I think we were open to the sillyness of GI Joe cartoon because of that. America has been at war for the entire life of kids under 16. Muslim terrorism is constant across the globe and in America. Kids today have a better understanding of the reality of war and fighting terrorism. 80's style GI Joe might work for the 5-8 year olds but after that Call of Duty and similar games will take over. I don't think you'll ever get the necessary amount of violence in a cartoon to attract anyone over the age of nine. I remember being bothered by the lack of violence in GI Joe as child. Transformers and TMNT get away with more violence because it's nonhuman violence.

I think the toys could sell again. The toys might sell if they're attached to a decent PG-13 movie that can reinvent the franchise. The other option is to compete with the budget priced generic military figures and vehicles that are found in toys r us. Abandon supporting media and put the basic story premise and bios on the box. Hasbro would have to make the prices competitive with the generic stuff. People might pay a slight premium for GI Joe brand.

The other option is we stop being pussys and give boys what they actually want.

What a weird episode that was.

It was one of the episodes i really wanted to see again when i bought the dvd set. It was the only episode that was fucked up in the entire dvd set. I knew it was going to happen before i got to the episode because the rest played fine I was getting close to the end of the set and it was the ep i wanted to see again.

Same thing happened with the "old snake" transformers episode.

Old Snake was a cool guy.

It was the most exciting thing that ever happened in the show for me. There were other great eps but it was a lot of fun seeing him in a transformers episode. I think Gi joe had the great tv show while transformers had the great movie. Gi joe had a great intro for their movie though.

Paragraphs, motherfucker. They are a thing.

Not a fan of Duke going into a coma.

Making cobra commander second banana then hiding him and then turning him in to a snake and the ugly cobra la bug stuff were pretty weak too. Had all of those joes eaten by plants then released for most of the movie too.

Wonder how that Hasbro cinematic universe is coming along

If "The Rock" could not make it good with all of his diverse friends including the blackening of hard master then clearly there is no market for it. Everyone knows "the Rock" tm is box office gold. like when he was in doom or the mummy 8 scorpion we was kangz and everything since.

They should have made Rock still be the wrestler rock like for Sgt.Slaughter

I have an idea for a GI Joe animated movie. Its a future GI Joe story. So it starts out with the Joes finally defeating Cobra and Cobra Commander tries to transfer his concious into one of the synthoid drones but fails. The Joes check his body but it's dead. So the powers of the world split the Cobra loot and weaponry amongst themselves and use it to their own advantage. Meanwhile, new terrorist groups rise up to fill the vacuum that Cobra left. So to tackle it the UN becomes more powerful and uses the Joes to kill the terrorists. The Joes are becoming weary of this UN power so they retire and the UN recruits some new guys to fill in the blank. Scarlet and Snake eyes settle down and open up a dojo in Colorado but can never shake the feeling that something is off. Duke has gone off the grid and thinks Cobra is still active so he keeps looking.

Years later this UN faction has become a supra-national government entity like the EU and is nearly complete in forming a one world government. The leader of this UN is an Indian politician guy named Sharma. The new Joes fight fringe terrorist groups including a new Cobra group but this Cobra is weaker than the old one. Its like the difference between Neo Nazis and the original Nazis. The new Cobra group is lead by a new Commander. The new Joes fight this new Cobra Commander and decimate his forces but he gets away. The Indian guy tells the new Joes to "convince" some holding out nations to become part of this new world order. The new world order has its benefits and people seem better off but there is a darkside to it. Kinda like Demolition Man. Some of the old Joes confront the New Joes and are skeptical of this new government and of the New Joes. This sucks for the leader of the New Joes since she is a fan of the old ones.

Years later this UN faction has become a supra-national government entity like the EU and is nearly complete in forming a one world government. The leader of this UN is an Indian politician guy named Sharma. The new Joes fight fringe terrorist groups including a new Cobra group but this Cobra is weaker than the old one. Its like the difference between Neo Nazis and the original Nazis. The new Cobra group is lead by a new Commander. The new Joes fight this new Cobra Commander and decimate his forces but he gets away. The Indian guy tells the new Joes to "convince" some holding out nations to become part of this new world order. The new world order has its benefits and people seem better off but there is a darkside to it. Kinda like Demolition Man. Some of the old Joes confront the New Joes and are skeptical of this new government and of the New Joes. This sucks for the leader of the New Joes since she is a fan of the old ones.

The New Joes are sent on a mission to force a part of Michigan to join the New World Order. It is held by the new Cobra Commander. The Joes defeat the new Commander and take off his helmet revealing he is this emo looking guy. The new commander spits at the Joes and tells them they are government dogs. The leader of the new Joes is suspicious of the new government and asks some questions to the new Cobra Commander. The new Cobra Commander explains he founded the new Cobra because the New World Order forced his parents and community out of work because it got replaced by Machines and some 3rd world labor. So as a result The new Cobra Commander founded Cobra to stop the New World order.

The leader of the new Joes goes to consult the old Joes about the New World order. The old Joes consist of Snake Eyes, Scarlet, Lady Jaye, Flint, Tunnel Rat, Stalker and some others. They agree to help the new Joes uncover what is behind the New World Order but they have to find Duke who went off the grid a long time ago. They find Duke and he is disheveled and bearded. He reveals to them that Cobra Commander is still active and has been manipulating the New World Order. Later the old Joes and the new Joes are captured by some goons from the New World Order. A man walks up to them and it is Sharma who reveals himself to be Cobra Commander. He explains that he succesfully transferred his mind into a synthoid body and has been assuming different identities to manipulate the world into having a one world government where he can rule over it. He plans on killing the old and new Joes but Duke taunts him by saying that he is a pussy because he has to hide who he is rather than rule openly. The Commander bitch slaps Duke and leaves them to be eaten by a giant snake.

Both old and new Joes escape and have to prove that Sharma is Cobra Commander. They get some more evidence and take it to the world government. However, since they are fugitives they have to infiltrate the place but meet resistance. They fight until they provide the evidence to the world leaders right as they are about to finalize having a one world government that Sharma is Cobra Commander. Sharma flips his shit and guns down some of the world leaders and some of the Joes. Sharma forces the world to have a one world government and tries to use drugs to get the people to obey him but the old and new joes stop him.

Sharma is sent to prison and the remaining world leaders reconsider on having a one world government. It ends with the leader of the new Joes talking to Duke and overcoming their differences. They ponder about the fate of the future and agree that it is best for mankind to decide on their own rather than have it forced down their throats. They leave optimistic and go about their lives. That is a general overview of this idea I have planned. There are some details I didn't go into as much but I hope you guys like it. Does it sound good to you?

TLDR version;
GI Joes defeat Cobra. New World order government rises up. Old Joes leave it but New Joes get recruited. Turns out leader of New World Order is Cobra Commander and old joes and new joes team up to stop him.

"That's too cheesy for a live-action GI Joe movie"

G.I. Joe is fucked as a franchise. To begin with, it's oriented at kids and is innately violent. Mothers are usually gatekeepers of the television, typically they'll be the final authority on what shows a kid can or can't watch. They also tend to hold naturally overbearing and conflict averse views that owe to their sheltered existence, so they have a significantly lower threshold of violence in programming that they can tolerate than even the point at which it would be entertaining to most boys these days.

Worse yet, it is innately political. Because it depicts humans representing servicemen of (mostly) the US military fighting a fictional terrorist organization, it has to glorify whatever cause they depict the Joes as fighting for and vilify whatever they want Cobra to be. If the show were to be realistic in this, Cobra really could only be Wahabist/Jihadist Islamic militants like ISIS. It's a sad state of affairs when opposing enemies of civilization itself should be considered controversial, but the reality of what kind of people compose groups like ISIS (impoverished brown people with a religion that there is a serious mainstream push to normalize) having Joes crush them with superior firepower and be morally correct for doing so could only cause a shitstorm. The safer alternative is to keep Cobra as it has historically been, but in the face of actual life-and-death conflicts that go on for decades, it's more than a little tone-deaf to have the core conflict of the show be about nothing.

Doing a G.I. Joe cartoon effectively is a task requiring balancing the theme of the show and the level of violence depicted against the Zeitgeist in which it is created and the (overly sensitive) sensibilities of the viewing audience. Even if they get lucky and make a good show for a time, in a few years time the status quo can change so severely that it can become unfitting in hindsight.

Kids in the past probably had better imaginations than today, while having less distractions to worry about.

After typing that out, I'm starting to think the solution might be just to make GI Joe style FPS military game with a bunch of the different playable characters with unique skills fighting Cobra, and then sell the merch based off it (like CoD/Halo/Destiny does with Mega Blocks/Mega Construct toy sets but with action figures instead of toy bricks). While also having cartoon style spin off story episodes in that same game universe for internet viewing (like Halo did with that live action series Forward Unitl Dawn, I think it was called?)
In summary, does spending well $100 million movie that has to deal with Hollywood movie production system?

Additional.
It's not the solution you want to hear, but in this current year it might be the solution needed to get the franchise popular again. The biggest issue making a fun military FPS game with GI Joe that is somehow sellable to people that want an FPS that isn't CoD while not being desperate and audience pandering like Overwatch. Because everyone knows there's no point in making a game for the CoD audience because they are only playing CoD, it's DLC and repeat with next years CoD.

Problem with that is FPS are getting worn out already. Shame since that would be awesome to have a GI Joe FPS or 3rd PS. Maybe gameplay could be like Star Wars Battlefront 2 (original not the new one.)

Isant there already a popular FPS on the market about a bunch of soldiers from different countries teaming up?

Rainbow 6 Siege?

Fuck the FPS. Give me an RTS. I want to build a grand Cobra army. Although I suppose with my luck it would just end up being a shitty moba.

if you crossed over many Hasbro toys frachises you could get an interesting RTS

Nice digits user.
So a Hasbro RTS with armies being:
>My Little Pony
>Those communist/equality ponies from MLP

user I like you're Ideas. It seems like from 9 to adult people are much more interested in video game merchandise than cartoons and movies merchandise. Cartoon and movie merchandise seems to be more a hit with the 3-8 year old kids. I don't care what ages the manufacturers put on the box, that's just what I'm seeing now as a parent.

I would do the game as third person shooter. It's constant advertising for the different heroes the game would presumably have. Make sure you can regularly drive the vehicles like halo. The GI Joe name will attract people, you just need to make it as good as COD, Halo, Gears, Destiny. The only problem is hasbro would never have the balls to do it.

Well, my 2 cents is in the lack of the new shows being patriotic. Say what you want about the old cartoons, the one thing they were not was pro-government. There was no bureaucracy in those cartoons. Where ever terrorist activities happened in the USA, the Joes stopped it. Once the newer cartoons talked more about ebil shadow government over just lending a hand was how it became stale. GI Joe was far more pro America than pro government.

wasnt there some sort of toys RTS being made?
with soldier, fntasy, cute/fairy and robots factions?

>>>/pone/

It ended with the autobots and decepticons uniting to fight a greater threat, too. That shit was cash.

She reminds me of somebody, not sure who

so aging up magically gives you makeup? interesting

also I wouldn't be so sure about the "only" statement, stuff like that is often well hidden

After the decepticons killed bludgeon and took over the war world I seem to recall Starscream screwing over Megatron again by becoming the warworld unicron. Could have been unicron 2.0 with starscreams mind

The episode with Mara was fun. Blue cobra wet suit was nice.

(nice digits)
I agree with the 3rd person shooter idea, if you going to play as you favorite character you may as well be able to see them (and also be able to visually stand out from other shooters). I think Hasbro has gotta reach a point of desperation eventually to fund a hardcore video game.

For fucks sake, I strikethroughed the joke pony options. How else was I supposed to acknowledge their Hasbro affiliation? If that IDW hasbro comic crossover Revolution is any indication they are never going to bring them over with any "Earth" and/or "human" involving Hasbro existing series.

I made so many gi joe skins in mspaint for q2. Feels good searching for gi joe skins and seeing not only the pcx file but the silly text file i made for them i still around. Even my scuba punisher is still around.

bump

Should I post lewd pics of GI Joe and Cobra chicks?

sure

Really though, Duke in a coma was due to the reaction they got from Optimus Prime being dead in the 1986 movie. Or else, Duke would've croaked too..

Ok then.

Yup..Autobots and Decepticons teaming up to fight the Cybertronian Empire. Someone did make a pseudo remake to G2 in the Collector's Magazine thingie..though it's a mish mash of G2 and Machine Wars (like all of the G2 version of known characters are clones created by Jhiaxus..oh and a Decepticon Serpentor ended the Machine War. Bio on him have Serpent. O. R being an idea to bring back Serpentor using Old Snake's tech…but instead it scanned the brain of Hawk instead so it created a Con with EDC sympathies)

I liked Renegades, was there anything wrong with it? I couldn't watch the entire thing because of cable jews and then it went off air.

The only negative thin I can say about Renegades was the artstyle. I don't think the artstyle lends itself well to animation. That and it makes all the characters look all asian. That and I guess the reveal about Storm Shadow inadvertently killing the Hard Master seemed to contradict his own motivation and makes him look like an idiot. I know some fans were complaining about a love triangle between Duke, Scarlet and Snake Eyes based on a scene in one episode.

Damn didn't know the show could get that dark.

That whole story was fucked.

I thought this quote from Larry Hama about what GI Joe is was fascinating. Heard from a D&C video.

Superhero comics are a power fantasy. GI Joe is a loyalty fantasy, it's about being on a team of people who will do anything for you. You will do anything for them and there always got your back.

So how a series focused on having loyalty and trustworthy bunch of good guys with freedom vs evil guys/government who have none and are willing to stab anyone in the back for any slight gain and who want to control everyone?

If they don't guns firing blue/red lasers, maybe we need something stupider like crossbow like weapons firing "energy beam bolts"

lol
that is so monumentally fucked up
holy shit

So like Scarlets crossbow in Renegades?

Considering what Transformers had to become to be successful, do you really want G.I. Joe to be?

At least it is gold backed.