Tl;dr: Goosbumps or Are You Afraid of the Dark?

If you have a problem with reading words on internet forums where words are posted, just pretend the subject was the entire post, reply to that and read no further. For those without autism the long version is as follows, and an additional warning if you're an easily triggered snowflake wizard read no further.

I'm putting together a Halloween movie marathon for my girlfriend, she's terrified of horror movies and hasn't seen many, so I want to ease her into it with lighter stuff first. For the actual movies, I'm starting with Spaced Invaders, Ernest Scared Stupid, Gremlins and The Nightmare Before Christmas before moving on to Signs, It, Noroi, Thing, some anime stuff I won't mention here, The Fly, Nosferatu and a couple dozen other movies. Before all that though I figure I should start with Goosebumps or Are You Afraid of the Dark.

From what I recall, AYAotD is far and away the much better series, but when I mentioned the two to her she said she loved Goosebumps and read the books when she was little. Should I maybe mix and match? What would you say are the best episodes of each?

i only ever saw goosebumps as a kid and it scared me shitless

You should try watching V/H/S.

Are You Afraid of the Dark is scarier in most cases than Goosebumps, but in either case the acting is scarier than most real horror.

Mix and match. Start with a Goosebumps episode, then AYAotD, and keep alternating.

That movie fucking sucks. It's just creepypasta filmed on video cameras.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/4cuck/
>>>/normalfag/

awww poor druppy bupply ids butthurtd beceaus he cant not get an girld freidn
is druppy puppy gon to cryi???

Christ that mosaic is cancer.

Signs is decent in that it shows how retarded you have to be to believe crop circles would be used by an advanced alien species and that such a species would want earth when 70% of it is covered in a liquid (and rains said liquid) that is acidic to their fragile bodies.

Never liked it. In all the sequels there was only one segment I liked, it involved a Mexican guy inventing a portal to an alternate universe. That segment was fucked.

Terminator is more sci-fi/action, but the T1000 is considered a horror icon, and it was pretty terrifying when it came out, stabbing people in the brain with liquid metal finger knives and all.

Aliens is squarely in the horror genre, even if you don't find the movie scary.

Signs is a movie that over the years I've come to accept is more clever than I gave it credit for. I realize this every time I see someone give it shit. You know, they weren't aliens in that film, they were demons. The water that harmed them was blessed.

See the reason this argument is dumb is because we do that all the time. We go into mines full of poison gases that could collapse on us at any moment, we eat things which if prepared wrong are completely poisonous.

Most importantly though, the whole of space exploration disproves this. Why would we go into space when we require oxygen and gravity to survive? Makes me think of that moon scene in Superman 2 where Zod and the other Kryptonians remark "What fragile creatures."

You are exaggerating with the "full" part of your mining example. Mining isn't nearly as deadly as the scenario set up in Signs for those aliens. Also, those aliens weren't after minerals or metal, they were after humans (which funnily enough are mostly water too.)

As for what individuals eat, that's entirely different. Humans as a whole tend to avoid poisonous foods, and more importantly those who do not usually prepare them in such a way as to eliminate the poison before consumtion. Poison is also not the same as flesh desolving acid. Who do you know of that consumes hydrochloric acid as an example?

Your own example disproves your argument. Astronauts presumably wear their suits to protect themselves from the harsh environment of space. Similarly to how people eating poisonous foods remove or minimize the poison before consumption, and how people mining in dangerous conditions reduce the risks with proper equipment such as; protective gear, air pumps, air purity detectors, lighting, escape routes, safety procedures, and medical supplies.

First off you come off as a passive aggressive redditor OP, you should work on that

Way too much shit tbh, that's twenty plus hours of horror. That's a lot even for somebody who likes horror films. Shorten it down to a movie night with 2-3 films. If she likes it you can do more.

You could try some Twilight Zone or Tales of the Unexpected with her, they are rarely actually scary and are basically the goosebumps format for adults. Cronenberg films are good at being unsettling but not really frightening so any of those would be good. Arachnophobia is a great "beginner" horror too, if she hates spiders it's perfect.

Also scrap the cuckime and kiddie flicks for obvious reasons.

Twilight Zone is too dated for most females to enjoy. Substitute it with Tales from the Darkside or the Outer Limits instead.

Maybe, but either of the reboots would be fine.

>>>/reddit/

you have shit taste and should be the one to GTFO ASAP.

The funny thing is that AYAOTD was usually darker and had scarier moments, but Goosebumps had way more bad ends for the characters

Gremlins and Nightmare Before Christmas are Christmas movies, not Halloween movies

>>>/reddit/

Both are good, why oppose the two?

What did he mean by this?

No it isn't. Alien or Alien 3 is. You could argue Aliens has multiple genres, but it's still primarily an action film.

This. Tales from the Darkside is anthology kino (highly recommend "Halloween Candy", "Inside the Closet", and "Cutty Black Sow") and the 80's Twilight Zone reboot is often overlooked and arguably better than the original Serling run. Of course the obvious answer here if your looking for straight horror is Tales from the Crypt. You'll do a hell of a lot better with any of those shows than you will watching old Canadian children's programs.

Which one had the cutest girls?

Goosebumps wins.

Working in a mine is considered one of the deadliest professions. You could hit a gas vein and die right quick, the tunnels could collapse on you, and even if everything goes smoothly those workers have horrible lung damage just from working the job.

Tomatoes used to be considered a deadly poison. Funguses like mushrooms are regularly consumed as toppings or meat alternatives. The blowfish, scorpions, if prepared wrong, but that's the entire point.

Applying human logic and thought processes to an alien species is the worst kind of nonsense.

Didn't know plebians was allowed on Holla Forums.

get back to reddit scum

Was all the water in the world blessed or are you a idiot? Don't answer that it was rhetorical.

We only saw an alien taking damage from blessed water.

Sunlight was never fatal to vampires till Nosferatu (1922), water is basically everywhere on earth, including in the atmosphere.
TL;DR: You are retarded, M. Night, and your film doesn't make sense even if they were daemons or aliens.

So you concede it's been a part of the vampire myth for pretty much a century?

No, not at all. Not only is it a very recent part of vampires in popular culture with no basis in actual folklore, but there are many, many examples of films, books, etc., that disregard this trait. There is no fixed vampire myth, you cumgurgling dunce, and your daemon/aliens still don’t make a lick of sense.

Horror-comedy and action-comedy belong in the trash. Slither was directed by James Gunn who also made Guardians of the Galaxy so it's not hard to see why it was a Cabin in the Woods tier shitty "tribute" to the horror genre.

When will this newfag meme die

You completely failed to overturn any of my points, and laughably you focused on the questioning whether we go into space part like I knew you would. You fell for that trap like a retard.

Yeah, I'm sure you don't just feel incredibly stupid and are trying to deflect. I notice how you're now completely ignoring the example of the coal mine, the fourth example that proves you wrong. You also left out the scorpion, the blowfish, and every other poisonous or potentially dangerous food people regularly consume. The production of moonshine has a risk of death if done wrong.

See we both know you're stuck on repeat, you've already been completely defeated here but in a bizarre attempt to save face you're just going to pretend if you repeat your refuted argument over and over until the thread dies, when I eventually forget to reply or whatever, that somehow makes your retarded theory stop being retarded.

Fact 1: In pursuit of resources, foods, exploration and mere curiosity humans routinely engage in dangerous activities that not only can result in death, but have in fact resulted in untold millions of deaths throughout our history.
Fact 2: Saying "BUT PRECAUTIONS CAN BE TAKEN TO MAKE IT LESS DANGEROUS!" doesn't in any way mitigate the risk taken or cancel out the initial and ongoing risks taken in those pursuits.

Fact 3: The creatures in the film which are clearly demons do not adhere to any of your arbitrary rules for behavior, and you don't know for a fact whether it's water in general that harms them or specifically water that's been blessed. Either way, they're by no means an "advanced alien species" their behavior is rarely anything above animalistic.

We know nothing about how they operate or what the rules are for them. Maybe the portals take them to other planets and every year they harvest from a different one and there are different hazards on each, but it's their only means of feeding themselves so they take the risk. Maybe they go into hibernation between harvests. Maybe they have an incorporeal form and damage taken to their bodies is irrelevant to them, maybe these are just pack animals or mindless drones sent through the portals as probes to bring back the harvest. They could be piloted by another species safely from their home dimension or whatever. There's a million explanations.

But removing all of that, humans take part in a million extremely risky activities in similar pursuits. Your entire argument boils down to "Why would humans ever do something so stupid as go fishing? They can't breathe water, if they fall out of their boats they'll drown! How stupid!" Now you can say in modern times all manner of breathing aparatus and safety harness exist to diminish this risk, but the risk is still there, and for thousands of years mankind went out into the water in tiny boats and rafts and risked drowning anyway for the sake of food and exploration.

tl;dr: lol ur dum

No, you ignored how I blew that the fuck out already.
The rest of your post is tl;dr autism

so little diversity smh
the 90s truly were problematic

>>>/reddit/

All you said was that it wasn't "nearly as deadly" as the scenario in Signs, but as was already established you're not working from sufficient information to ever make that claim. I replied by listing several of the dangers faced by coal miners. In fact there are a great number more ways they can die than the aliens can with water in Signs.

I gave you the direct parallel of humans going out onto water they'll drown in if they fall into in boats to fish and explore. You're saying their actions were insane and made no sense, but if they didn't do this thing you claim makes no sense the whole of human civilization would stagnate, other continents never would have been explored.

And we come back to the original point, you're really fucking stupid.

No, I said they have equipment, procedures, etc. Learn to read.
Humans can swim, retard. Water isn't acidic to humans, retard.

Sounds like you're getting frustrated. Let's count, how many different ways can the "aliens" die from water in signs? One. How many different ways can people die going into mines? At least four off the top of my head. And as we established, we have no way of knowing if the creatures are actually taking any risk to begin with. They could be like drone ants sent to retrieve food for a queen. You won't even address any of the numerous scenarios mentioned.

Some humans can swim. To this day people drown every year.
Why don't you fill your lungs with it and see what happens, then?

Nice projection
Yeah, by touching it at all, it dissolves their flesh. That's a pretty big difference from "we might hit a pocket of gas" or "we might have a collapse if we are stupid" or "i might die from black lung after YEARS of mining." Retard.
Wow, that's totally the same as having your flesh dissolved.
No, because unlike you or the aliens in signs I'm not retarded.

You're ignoring 90% of the arguments made then responding to snippits with butthurt non-arguments ending with phrases like "learn to read" and "retard". You definitely sound frustrated.

So now you're attributing the deaths of coal miners to stupidity. You sure seem to find anything that makes you feel stupid retarded. It's one method of death, and we haven't even established whether or not it's all water or just blessed water that harms them. Remember when we laid out all the scenarios that you don't have the facts for and you sperged out, pretended it wasn't said and just spammed "retard" over and over in supreme assrage?

You're acting like it killing you one way is different than it killing you another way. The result is the same either way, death. You're just as dead if you drown as if you suffocate or melt, silly. Dead is dead. If a human fell into the ocean they'd be just as dead as one of these creatures, assuming they're not drones or something.

This isn't even an argument. And really? Greentext stuttering? Go take a break, you sound so mad I'm actually concerned for your blood pressure. You're trying to argue that because it doesn't kill you in the same way it's not as bad, which is like saying it would be fine to drown in lava if it didn't burn you. Either way you're dead, silly.

Act retarded, get called a retard, not much of a mystery. Fail to read and get told to learn to read, also not much of a mystery. The only one acting frustrated, is you.
Yes.
Except the part of the movie that clearly says a way of fighting the invaders was discovered on the TV. Perhaps rewatch the "great" movie you claim to know so much about?
Pretty sure the aliens could die from being stabbed, beaten, or shot. That's not something that was brought up as a flaw. Invading a planet that is 70% acidic to your kind while wearing absolutely nothing protective was. If you knew how to read and had more than basic critical thinking skills you would realize this.
I'm far from mad or frustrated. I'm enjoying this.

The thing is here you're filling it in for your lack of a counterargument. You're just restating your already refuted point and adding "….RETARD!" at the end like that strengthens it, when it actually just makes you look angry, desperate, and totally defeated.

Enlighten me, what did they specify? Or was it vague enough that your mentioning of this is pointless?

What's your point? Yes, they can die any number of ways. We've gone over this, they weren't aliens. They were demons, or interdimensional creatures or some shit. There are no space ships in the movie, just crop circles and lights. They don't wear clothes and there's no attempt at communication. All of their abilities are physical adaptations of predatory animals, they have a form of camouflage and poison glands. Nothing to suggest an advanced civilization, so on top of everything else this is as dumb as asking why a lion is dumb enough to charge someone pointing a shotgun at it.

What's sad is that you don't realize how much more pathetic it would be if that were true. Why would you enjoy getting your ass handed to you in some anonymous internet forum? You haven't made a single argument in a dozen posts, and you just keep repeating refuted arguments with the same insults added to them. Your insults don't even make sense, do you even comprehend how stupid you'd be admitting yourself to be by typing messages to someone you didn't think was able to read?

It's like your every post is calculated to make you look dumber than the last. When do we cut to the part where you say you were "just trying to waste your time/get a rise out of you" and you suddenly "have better things to do and will no longer be replying"?

Hilarious.
It's right near the end, shouldn't be too hard for you to find. Not that it even matters since your "blessed water" bullshit doesn't fly when the water was all unblessed tap water left over because it was "dirty" to the little girl.
So you assert.
Very consistent of you.

I said your argument was refuted, and that rather than address the myriad of circumstances brought up to you, you're just repeating the already refuted argument and adding "retard" at the end. I don't know what you were taught at your group home, but "retard" isn't an argument. You haven't addressed the numerous examples of information you simply don't have on how the creatures work. You haven't addressed humans getting in boats for thousands of years. You didn't address the numerous poisonous food examples. You completely ignored the statistics on how to this day with all our advancements, there are still around 500k drowning deaths a year. You just repeat "Well yeah but melting is a different kind of death than drowning though… retard!" and pretend that's an argument.

So I'm going to take you refusing to provide the information and then saying it "doesn't matter" to mean that it in fact was vague enough that it was stupid of you to even mention it.

The little girl is referred to as an angel and was blessing all of the water.

Tell me, is Mel Gibson's character not a priest who lost his faith after the death of his wife? Is it not specifically mentioned in news casts that "hundreds of thousands of people are flocking to churches, synogogues and temples" and does the very last scene of the film not show Gibson's character putting back on his priest uniform because the events in the film have reaffirmed his belief in god?

It would be pathetic of you to be gaining enjoyment from how thoroughly you're embarrassing yourself in this discussion. It's also pathetic -though somewhat less- that you're so angry you're greentexting stuttering, repeating yourself over and over, and substituting actual arguments with "retard" and "learn to read".

Wow, you are some serious entertainment

Which argument was ignored? No no, don't tell me. "I shouldn't have to tell you, it should be obvious retard!" right? Because you're not even trying to be coherent at this point.
This is as close as you're going to come to conceding you were talking out of your ass and the quote does nothing to help your case, isn't it?
So why didn't she throw it way or put it in the sink?
The point was that he stopped being a priest, faith is repeatedly hammered in as the theme of the movie, and after his experiences he goes back to being a priest in the end. This combined with the lack of space ships and the demonic appearance of the creatures leaves only one logical conclusion.
I told you, we both know what happened here. You've got autism, you lost an argument on the internet and you can't handle this, so you've shifted to "As long as I get the last word… I win!" or "I can justify my actions if I pretend I was just trying to piss you off the whole time!" we both know that's where this is going. You suck at this, man. Predictable as fuck.

Don't forget the part where he replies to both of your posts and says "You're both retarded."

Every long-winded internet sissy fight ends the same way on this board.

You have god awful taste fella

As a kid I watched AYAotD and read Goosebumps. I watched the Goosebumps show a few times and it just wasn't that good.

How about where I listed the differences between mining/space exploration having equipment and procedures to limit the danger vs naked aliens on a mostly acidic world? You directly ignore the mining part, and then tried to downplay the difference later on without directly addressing my points.
I don't care to prove it to you. Pretend that is a victory if you wish.
The movie is stupid. Why is it never directly called "blessed?" Both of us can play this game.
He got his faith back because his wife's dying words actually being significant instead of just being random neurons firing. Not because "teh aliens were demons" or "the water left lying around was somehow blessed by a girl who didn't drink them."
What is it like being such a colossal faggot?

Did not happen, samefag

This was repeatedly and specifically replied to over and over again. The number of deaths from attempts at those activities was repeatedly pointed out. You're trying to suggest that modern humans taking greater precautions when engaging in those activities somehow makes it irrelevant that we still willingly participate in those activities because of the potential rewards.

You give no reason to assume the demons would have this level of sophistication. You just ignore every comparison given and then toss on the word retard. Every piece of information we're given on them suggests no organization beyond that of a pack animal and no technology whatsoever.

Alright, let me dumb this down for you. Hundreds of years ago the earliest reports of alien abduction were all being recorded as demonic visitation. Night terrors, sleep paralysis, incubus and succubus, the stories from that period are virtually identical to those of the alien abductees of the last hundred years. Frozen in place, taken away by strange creatures, probed, violated and in some way sexually assaulted. Now I'm not by any stretch claiming these things were real, I'm just saying an obvious link between the phenomenon has been drawn by many people, and I'd assume that's where whoever wrote the movie got the idea.

We never see any space ships, just crop circles and lights in the sky. The "aliens" have no technology, only abilities found in predatory animals. They don't really seem to have control over the portals either as they can't walk through walls or teleport around once they're here, as we see they're easily trapped by little more than wooden doors.

From there, we have dozens of possible explanations. Maybe they're little more than animals dropped onto a random other planet through no volition of their own. Seeing as it's suggested this happens every so many years more likely it's a cycle and they're sent to other planets and have no control over what hazards may be found in the latest planet they have to gather food from.

They could be drones manufactured in vats, remote controlled bodies, a physical manifestation of incorporeal beings who don't care if their bodies are damaged, worker drones in the equivelant of an insect colony. They could literally be traditional demons, or merely the basis of the demon myth and actually just from another dimension.

Everything we see of them implies they're not even on the level of mental development of jungle tribesman, yet your brain quite ironically can't wrap itself around the notion that creatures not of Earth being something other than super geniuses with advanced technology. You may as well be asking why gorillas don't use guns, or why lions don't domesticate their prey and keep them as cattle. That's how insanely idiotic your entire whinging about acidic water is.

You went back and checked, it was exactly like I said, so now you want to drop it.

notanargument.jpg
Depending on your perspective, you could either say they overestimate the audience intelligence or didn't sufficiently clobber them over the head with the religious significance, but it's established her father is an ordained minister and that they say grace before they eat. The fact is, this is the only creature we actually see harmed by the water, and there's a throwaway line that other survivors were gathered at religious buildings.

It was every single different factor suggesting everything that happened was planned. His son having asthma, his brother being a baseball player, his wife's dying words, the daughter leaving the water everywhere. The creatures were clearly meant to be demons.

I wouldn't know, is becoming one your ultimate endgoal?

Pathetic. I don't ignore your comparisons, I laugh at them, because they are retarded.
No, I didn't waste my time. I know that line is in the movie. You are the one who hasn't bothered to check, and is pathetic enough to demand proof instead of destroying my argument. My not caring to prove it to you is not an admission of being wrong on that point. It is simply not caring.
This does not bless water. In fact "holy water" is a strictly catholic thing in "christianity" and the ritual for blessing it isn't saying grace nor is it indiscriminate about the water being "blessed."
You are right on this, but…
..that doesn't lead to this conclusion. This is a gargantuan leap of reasoning.
You are a goldmine.

Says the fag who's into plain 5's.

child models aren't real girls

btw, the fbi will at your door shortly

Did they bless all the water in the world or are you an idiot?

As you repeatedly fail to address the arguments, your responses get more desperate, angry and irrational. Saying "I laugh at them because they are retarded" is not an argument, you're completely dismissing the examples because you're completely unable to come up with a counter which in essence is you admitting defeat.

Which line? What specific line do you "know" is in the movie?

Within the rules of the film, the conclusion suggests otherwise.

There. Were. No. Space.Ships. The entire theme of the film was faith, they look demonic,their actions are exactly the same as classic depictions of medieval demon abductions.

Sunlight did weaken Dracula though.

user, take your medication.

I'm willing to give the demon theory a go but hopefully someone less retarded than you will present it in the future.

Okay, you're completely defeated now. You may as well be whimpering and shaking your ass in the air, it's sad. You didn't make a single argument here. It's just greentext insult after greentext insult concluding with another insult. You're so completely and totally utterly defeated all you have to reply with is insults.

Yep, you have lost and are left with nothing more than hollow proclamations of victory.

-You haven't addressed the lack of any ships or use of technology by the creatures, just asserting they "must be invisible" but apparently not able to in any way "beam" trapped creatures out of closets? At the bare minimum this means they're technologically beneath us since we have smart phones. They use no technology and don't wear clothes.
-You ignored the number of human deaths from drowning annually, and how much higher they would be in years passed with less technology. You ignored the comparison to tribesman fishing. You've repeatedly ignored this point entirely because you have no way to address it. Humans for thousands of years made tiny boats and rafts and went out over water that they would drown if they fell into to gather food and explore.
-You completely backed down when called out on the "quote" not saying what you want it to, and your inability to say which quote or where it was said as you evidently imagined it or remembered it wrong, and won't even specify what the quote was.
-You ignore totally the number of variables and information left a mystery that perfectly explain all of your issues because you have no response to a single one of them.
-You dismiss and handwave every example of humans doing something lifethreatening for food or resources by asserting "it's safer now" as if that mitigates the initial risk at all, or would have anything to do at all with the behavior of predatory pack animals from another freaking dimension.
-In place of an argument, you just screech "retard" make various ad hominem attacks on intelligence, and greentext things which weren't actually said because what was actually said completely and utterly owns you.

Still ascribing human thought processes and actions to non human intelligent life. Opinions forever dismissed tbh.

Wew
embed related
Did you take your medication yet, user? This can't be healthy for you.