SHMUP Thread

SHMUP Thread

Raiden V will be coming to the West (on the Xbone), with translated text, some new weapon variations and possibly even English voice acting, to make the game feel even more like Ace Combat. Which is pretty interesting considering the Japanese version didn't have any VA as far as I'm aware. Will it be shit? Who knows, at least you can turn it off.
nichegamer.com/2016/04/29/japanese-shmup-raiden-v-heads-west-on-xbox-one/

The next CAVE SHMUP to get ported to Steam is Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, which also means the Black Label and Ketsuipachi DLC will no longer be behind region-locks. I hope you like (missing) slowdowns
nichegamer.com/2016/04/28/cave-shmup-dodonpachi-daifukkatsu-comes-west-on-pc-this-fall/

Out of completely nowhere, Dangun Feveron is getting ported to the PS4 by M2 (the Gradius ReBirth guys). Possible new stuff includes online scoreboards, new modes, and perhaps an arranged soundtrack by Manabu Namiki
gematsu.com/2016/04/cave-shoot-em-up-dangun-feveron-coming-ps4

MECHA Ritz: Steel Rondo has been successfully greenlit, and will be coming to Steam soon. New content from the original includes branching stages, more mechas to play as, new/remixed songs, multiple endings, new stages, and an English translation. You can probably still buy a physical copy from the site of the developer, HEY. In case you haven't played MECHA Ritz yet, you can get the original version for free at freem.ne.jp/win/game/8513
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637500472

The next doujin SHMUP to come to Steam is RefRain -prism memories-. I don't really know what it's about, but it looks really cool from the videos I've seen, and the music is pretty fucking awesome. Coming to the pirate coves at May 12
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

So what did you/are trying to 1cc?
Still trying to get past that stage?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/416380/announcements/detail/883080254903889348
wikihouse.com/stg/index.php?���ꥢ�顼�������
store.steampowered.com/app/460630/?snr=1_7_15__13
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56559
mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
dualshockers.com/2016/04/30/ps4-exclusive-touhou-genso-rondo-bullet-ballet-gets-release-dates-for-north-america-and-europe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why does Lightning Strikes from Raiden III sound so cool but the game is so shit?

probably because MOSS was pretty new at the time, and most of the old Seibu Kaihatsu guys who worked there were in a transitional phase from Raiden Fighters to a new 3D Raiden
even the OST starts like classic Raiden and becomes more Fighters-like as it progresses, but I liked Last Fear

replacing the toothpaste beam with that piss-weak green shit was unforgivable, however

I mean it's a stark contrast to Raiden IV, they improved that much?

Has anyone played Hurricane of the Varstray yet? Is it worth a buy or a pirate?

Raiden IV was a 'back to the classic formula' in a lot of ways, including the arranged classic tracks

good luck with that, it took a month after release before I could find a torrent for Eschatos, and I bought it later because of updates improving the framerates on my toaster

on the other hand, Varstray is pretty good, the latest update improved a whole lot, it's a fun caravan shooter if you ask me
be warned, the dialogue might make you OW THE EDGE

What's a good SHMUP for practice only for a beginner?
Or is there a magical game with a practice mode?

Moedan? For bullet hells at least.
Dariusburst Chronicle saviours has infinite lives mode for arcade (your score wont be saved)

progear is pretty easy, but honestly, just find one you enjoy enough to want to learn.

Varstray is worth a buy, especially after the update. No slow bullet nonsense, no slow speed, learn to tap dodge faggot, git gud. Activating Black Hole ship mode and ramming into everything wrecking the shit out of it is really satisfying. The Caravan stage is intense as all fuck, easily my favorite from that sub-genre.

The dialogue is fucking gold, I don't know what you're talking about.

Try the Novice modes of Mushihimesama or Crimzon Clover. If you're looking for a non-bullet hell style game then check out the Star Soldier games for the PC-Engine.

Stage select is a standard feature in most Shmups. If you're playing a game in MAME then use save states for the start of each level.

Thanks a lot, for personal uses because i love some shumps but i just get destroyed by them (Psikyo, NES Toaplan)
Also for making a thread in the near future, some games have very integral practice modes that make you git gud in its intended genre (Virtual Fighter 4 Practice Mode makes you very competent in any 3D game as it teach you tactics and movements first instead of in-game techniques)

new Raiden V update showing new weapons, english text and voice acting

Rip in piece, Bangai-O…

The same guy who did most of the work behind Ikaruga/RS, Hiroshi Iuchi, is right now working together with M2 on another SHMUP called Ubusuna. Although it has been announced like two years ago and noone has heard anything about it ever since.

As a beginner you picked probably the worst possible choices. Toaplan shooters are brutal (but great) and the later stages of Psikyo shooters are absolute bullshit. Those titles are built for more experienced players and autists who love to memorize the entire game to find safe spots.

Anyone played Stardust Galaxy Warriors on steam yet?

It's breddy fun in my book.

steamcommunity.com/games/416380/announcements/detail/883080254903889348
Varstray got updated to v3.00
A second loop got added?

I'm really liking that shot type customization. That soundtrack is great, way too much talking though, I hope you can disable it. If this ends up being exclusive to windows 10 I will flip my goddamn shit.

I just wanted to sit back and see flashy stuff

you can try newer stuff like Astebreed, Revolver 360, G-Darius on beginner, Einhänder and maybe euroshmups if you really suck

Best SHMUP i've played so far.

Too bad they gave PC players the shaft.

BUMPAAAAAAA

I have the physical copy of the hurricane of varstray. I can't tell you whether or not it's worth a buy because that's mostly subjective based on your financial situation and your love for video games. I can tell you however, that I personally do not particularly regret my own purchase. At the same time, I am not particularly satisfied by it.

The game is no means some kind of masterpiece. The gameplay primarily focuses on blasting away as many enemies as possible and dodging as many bullets as possible. As dodging such a concentration of bullets is impossible, a shield system exists, wherein damage to your ship causes a burst around it which kills enemies, and shooting enemies replenishes said shield. While this allows for the satisfaction of blasting away lots of baddies and facing loads of bullets, the thrill of dodging individual bullets is now much less. Instead, the game is more about using your invisibility time to jump across clusters of bullets and trying to be in the location of the least bullet density. The most fascinating thing about this, is that there is actually a bit of strategy in remembering when clusters of enemies pop up, and thinking about where to shoot first in order to reduce the bullet density in such location… in a way, it's kind of like musou. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I will leave it to you. There's also unlockable stuff in the game, which is always nice.

Before the update there was really not much of a variety of enemies. With 1.3, there is really more enemies and the game finally became something that could be classified as "good" in my opinion. Fullscreen finally works now, which is good.

As for the side things, not much needs to be commented. The artstyle of the girls are absolutely horrid, and the designs of the enemy ships uninspired (I hate using that word. Vidya Journalists say that shit alot, but that is really the best word that I can think of. Just look at the ship designs yourself). The music is not particularly anything special either; it's really forgettable. It's like elevator music that's been made to be a bit more exciting. At least the boss fight music is pretty damn good, which is it's saving grace. The dialogue is probably shit, I don't know. I fucking skip that shit ASAP lest I cringe to death. I accidentally let the protagonist's speech reach my eyes, and I have to warn you, she's quite the fucking edgelord.

Since the arcade mode can be beaten in a short amount of time, there should be enough that you can judge for the quality of the game within Steam's 2 hour refund time limit, at the even that there is no torrent. If you think that you have money to burn, I urge you to get the physical copy.

How did PC players get the shaft?

Oh wow, 3.00 already? Damn. Good for them.

If this game is made by microsoft money, you fucking bet it's going to be a Winblows10 exclusive.

So if you want to play these games, you are going to run these on a virtual machine or something so that you don't get your assed spied on.

wikihouse.com/stg/index.php?���ꥢ�顼�������

I heard that only the PS4 version of Astebreed would get some kind of update which added some content
I don't know what exactly

Pretty much what said, and at the risk of sounding like a thirsty cuck, not only will they not give us the update but won't also at least charge us an upgrade fee or something.

Trouble Witches coming to Steam:

store.steampowered.com/app/460630/?snr=1_7_15__13

By the same guys who did Varstray.

Did they just run that through Google translate or something?

It's all in chinaman runes, what is this

It's on Xbone in the East just as well.

So, will it kill them? Unless MS funded the game. Otherwise I doubt that even Windows 10 release could save them. I wonder how do they feel about this situation.

They don't even speak about it.

That's because Sony has bullshit clauses and exclusivity deals if you don't want to pay a fortune to get your game on PSN..

So is Sony behind this jewry? The existence of Astebreed was well ackmowledged on PC thanks to many reviewers and even Total Assquit making a video about it, plus it probably should have sold plenty on Steam, which is not something you can say for every SHMUP released in the West.

Why the fuck would they do that?
Also, try playing Sine Mora.

Pretty much, I'm not sure of how much money we're talking here since the AAC devs choose to not do that and they aren't exactly rich.

With a bit of luck we might get some news a year after the PS4 release since that's generally how long their exclusivity deal is.

No.

Is there a shmup info pic? All I've played is touhou and I'm always hearing how it is considered entry tier and there are much better shmups to play but I don't know which ones those are, let alone the must plays.

shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56559

mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Microsoft money for a genre on life support. Use your brains for once, will you? No wonder why you like Sine Mora.

Thank you so much, but I posted the one lap only chart since I thought that would help user more.

If you like bullet hells with moeshit, you can try the CAVE games post 2000. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, Dodonpachi saidaioujou, espagaruda, deathsmiles, Akai Katana, etc.

I'd recommend the Tale of Alltynex for a beginner. They're all pretty forgiving but lots of fun.

Nice, thank you.

I honestly don't care about that, I just like the genre and want to get a bit deeper into it.

That looks cool as fuck, I'll give it a try.

Wait, so is this a prequel to Trouble Witches NEO on the Xbox 360 Arcade? Or is it like the deluxe version of the same game? because if it's the same game, the sprite art looks like ass compared to the 360 version looks like shit

I love Engrish so much.

I bet my money that's the case. For example, MS did something similar with Crimsonland devs. They had to make new exclusive chapter for quest mode to release their game on Xbone, otherwise MS wouldn't allow Crimsonland on their shitty console.

We're getting close at this point since PS4 version was released on June 25th in 2015.

Raiden V getting an English release on May 11th

>tfw >>>/stg/ is kill

[INTENSE LAUGHTER]

dualshockers.com/2016/04/30/ps4-exclusive-touhou-genso-rondo-bullet-ballet-gets-release-dates-for-north-america-and-europe/

Anyone here getting this?

nope.
Even discounting the fact that it's just a 2hu fan game, I would sooner buy Dariusburst CS on all three platforms five times each than give NISA a red cent.

I played it for three stages and dropped it because I found it pretty shitty.
I don't get the praise Edelweiss games get around here. Must be the pretty graphics.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates Astebreed. The encounter design is an absolute mess, people never shutting the fuck up during gameplay and way too much cinematic bullshit.

Speaking of which, where do you guys draw the line for 'cinematic bullshit'? Like constant shifts in the camera angle, in-game cutscenes, stage transitions, and other fancy 3D camera work?
I thought Eschatos and Strania did it just right. In Raiden V the stage transitions match up with the music, so that's cool as shit too.

stage transitions are fine. It worked well in Rayforce, in RefleX, in Sora… they are for balancing action and non-action.

Cutscenes are alright when skippable.

But constant camera shifts can fuck off.

I'm happy you decided to refer to this atrocity as a Steam port as it should be OP instead of a "PC port" like the retards at nichegamer say it is.

Is G-Darius the End of Evangelion of video games?

dodonpachi is one of those series that really adapted to time
it started with cheesy 90's military action, transitioned to grimdark creepy lolis in the early 00's, and to KAWAII UGUU~ in 2012
at least CAVE knew their audience