Art and Revolution

Do you think art can be revolutionary? We've had a lot of artistic and cultural movements in the past (think situationists) aimed at being avant-garde and generally a thorn in the side of capitalism and the spectacle, but to what extent do you think these can have legitimacy when dealing with capitalism? How many people do you think were convinced by the situationist films and books?

Is it useless lifestylism? And even if it is useless lifestylism, can it still be useful for putting meaning back into peoples' lives, where it's been taken away by the modern system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6zufBBtjL-0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Cinema
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would art be lifestylism?

art is inherently bourgeois

Fuck off Hitler.

Explain?

Once art is not elitist it can be used to fuel a revolution as long as you can get that art into the mainstream in the streets
Poetry takes the prize of being the most effective non elitist form of pro revolution art

I don't know if he's considered Situationist, but I'd say Banksy has been pretty influential to modern day society in an anticapitalist sense.

I'd also probably argue to some extent that cartoons and children's shows, starting in the 90s, which only some of us kids will remember, had episodes with anticapitalist themes. The Simpsons definitely did.

So, art inciting revolution by itself? Probably not. Gradually molding young minds over time towards the left, planting radical ideas? Maybe. Cartoons are still made to sell toys, which means they're also always going to try to turn kids into consumers, unfortunately.

a correction :
I don't know how poetry id doing in the west but where i live poetry is the only dominate form of art that is participated by literally everyone

is*

I think you're right on Banksy. Banksy's a pretty great artist as well IMO.

Yes, I very much agree with that. I would say the point of art is to transmute an experience and to inspire people to see themselves as the art eventually

where are you from ?

art is inherently revolutionary

cmon someone mention RATM or Immortal Technique while we're at that edge cutting revolutionary art according to leftypoler's standards

One eye on you one eye on the jazz

Banksy is propped up by the British government.

I don't agree with the traditional marxist view that the state works as a monolith in the favour of one class alone. You can certainly sum up the actions of the government as in favour of the bourgeoisie, but these sorts of "puppet state" models are what make Marxian-economics useless to me.

Whether Banksy is propped up by the government doesn't affect his own personal views, or what effect he and his art have had. It seems a sad thing to try and turn every good thing sour, don't you think?

source

Are you guys serious?

Bansky is the lowest of the low. His work consists of facile, shallow anti-consumerist platitudes. It has no personality or depth whatsoever; it is the kind of "subversive art" edgy soccer moms share over Facebook.

Nashist scum pls go

this

*shrug* I'm no artist

You're an idiot.

If media can be revolutionary in the sense that it fuels the revolution, then art is too because art is media.

Art is reactionary, as it is an expression of individualism. Individualism will be stomped out or there will be no communism.

Smash art.

chinks really can't appreciate individualism, eh?

When art starts to become a deliberate vehicle for "revolutionary" sentiments, I believe it's called propaganda.

youtube.com/watch?v=6zufBBtjL-0
watch this video and learn from it

This

shut up you porky nigger

The situationists were certainly interesting. Art can be pretty subversive and empowering to the individual, more good art can only be a good thing, but it can only do so much.
Obviously, it cant do much to change the objective economic conditions that we are restricted by in the first place.
Athough, I do think art is one of the main places where the market is really failing people. People less and less want to pay for movies, music etc. Piracy is still pretty mainstream and adblockers are widespread. Netflix and such can only alleviate this so much.

pic related, it's banksy level social commentary

this is the only funny tumblr text post ever

Hi Holla Forums!

Give it a rest. He's right. Look at what individualism has brought us in every revolution that brought us down. Fights over individual ideological purity that result in countless dead comrades and most recently idpolers. Our ideology was always about the collective good not fucking admiration of silly aesthetics like some fucking fascist.

"Fights over individual ideological purity" is everything but individualism.

Communism means the destruction of every feudal, bourgeois, "traditional" institution in existence. Communism means wiping out the past entirely to pave way to the future.

Clutching onto decaying traditions of any kind reactionary and needs to be called out and condemned by every serious revolutionary.

Most 20th century art movements were revolutionary; de stijl, constructivism, bauhaus, dada, surrealism.

No, it doesn't.

Trap Images are the defintion of revolutionary art.

How could a trap have such impossibly wide hips?

Brown people

Quality thread. Thanks, Comrade Rebel.

No. art is escapism and bourgeoisie

Obviously Thog kept all the paint's and dyes to himself so only he could paint the cave wall. He got Bok to guard his supplies to make sure Dugg and Rudd couldn't steal them and he set Keet to gather berries that make dies rather than food.

Cave paintings were very bourgeois.

“Third cinema is, in our opinion, the cinema that recognizes in that struggle the most gigantic cultural, scientific, and artistic manifestation of our time, the great possibility of constructing a liberated personality with each people as the starting point – in a word, the decolonization of culture.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Cinema