Monster Hunter Thread

MHX is HERE if you have a hacked 3DS:

CIAs: pastebin.com/kp6YLnqn Key Quest list: pastebin.com/BgbeLLjd/

-GUILD
Can equip 2 Hunter Arts, charge by dealing damage.
Closest style to how weapons play in previous games.
-STRIKER
Can equip 3 Hunter Arts, charge by dealing and taking damage
-AERIAL
Can equip 1 Hunter Art, charge by dealing damage and jumping off monsters/etc.
Can do a short forward hop onto monster/bomb/etc. to make you jump high & perform aerial actions
-BUSHIDO/ADEPT
Can equip 1 Hunter Art, charge by dealing damage and with successful Bushido Evades/Guards
Roll or Guard (L, GL, CB only) right before you are hit by an attack to take no damage and perform special follow-up actions.

-Greatsword: pastebin.com/4KqJGuT6
-Long Sword: pastebin.com/nRPzs5H8
-Sword & Shield: pastebin.com/9Gaeb587
-Dual Blades: pastebin.com/342Dtcg9
-Hammer: pastebin.com/FUSKZbcq
-Hunting Horn: pastebin.com/3Tr83f5d
-Lance: pastebin.com/dyWsKNsm
-Gunlance: pastebin.com/1JnGcFcb
-Switch Axe: pastebin.com/9HCTsjRy
-Charge Blade: pastebin.com/xz2DnUs9
-Insect Glaive: pastebin.com/MvQ1Zvej
-Light Bowgun: pastebin.com/Szb8NSB2
-Heavy Bowgun: pastebin.com/LeSWhGUc
-Bow: pastebin.com/EXqGNPYD

>MHX Reload/Recoil Guide: pastebin.com/AQXJjvep

>Hunter Arts Descriptions: mhapi.info/translate/hunterarts.html

>Gaijin Hunter's MHX videos: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDR3ta7VqKrwNwPt9oCXER96N1JzcprUY

>Ping's MHX Dex: sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmhxdex

>Athena's ASS: mediafire.com/download/8my4iirtzgw2i48/Athena's Armor Set Search MHX v0.80a.zip

>MH Wiki: monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki

>Kiranico: kiranico.com/en/mhx

>Steam Group: steamcommunity.com/groups/8chmohun

>Hunting Music: monhun.corgiorgy.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA/videos
kiranico.com/en/mh4u
monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
i.imgur.com/KJezI7p.png
i.imgur.com/qwPzsnw.png
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-oyh86FG6V4-T5zegGIZuX0b-_tyy7_TIe8Wv8jkfZE/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#gid=1520165799
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Km915kzKU-_LyyQlbF1rV_PtGALYhAFZ8_UJ6SPuYMU/edit#gid=1314823394
imgur.com/a/oPuKD
desiresensor.com/
sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex
mediafire.com/download/289k64sca0aeqw4/Athena's *SS MH4U 1.09b.rar
i.imgur.com/sSRW7q6.png
i.imgur.com/wD2OUug.png
i.imgur.com/qf79jKs.png
pastebin.com/kvLN7Fni
steamcommunity.com/groups/8chmohun
monhun.corgiorgy.com/
sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh3gdex
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Resources:

>Weapon tutorials and more: youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA/videos

>Information on item drop rates, skills, monsters, etc: kiranico.com/en/mh4u

>MH Wiki: monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki

>MH4U Relic Chart: i.imgur.com/KJezI7p.png

>MH4U Relic Chart Detailed version: i.imgur.com/qwPzsnw.png

>MH4U Relic Spreadsheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-oyh86FG6V4-T5zegGIZuX0b-_tyy7_TIe8Wv8jkfZE/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#gid=1520165799

>Charm Values (AKA "Is that charm legit?): docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Km915kzKU-_LyyQlbF1rV_PtGALYhAFZ8_UJ6SPuYMU/edit#gid=1314823394

>MH4U Moveset Charts: imgur.com/a/oPuKD

>How many times will I have to hunt in order to get _?: desiresensor.com/

>Ping's MH4G Dex: sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex

>Athena's ASS for MH4G and MH4U: mediafire.com/download/289k64sca0aeqw4/Athena's *SS MH4U 1.09b.rar

>Attack Stat Stack Chart: i.imgur.com/sSRW7q6.png

>Kinsect Flowchart: i.imgur.com/wD2OUug.png

>Kinsect Ingredients list: i.imgur.com/qf79jKs.png

>Arena Armor Recipes and Requirements : pastebin.com/kvLN7Fni

>Steam Group: steamcommunity.com/groups/8chmohun

>Hunting Music: monhun.corgiorgy.com/

1st for time to get back to the daily grind.

Speaking of.

It's a good thread starter, if anything.

Does anyone have a working version of Ping's 3G Dex? Everytime I try to download it says there's a virus

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh3gdex

Like I said, everytime I try to download it, it says there's a virus

But there's no virus

I've tried downloading the version from both locations multiple times over the past couple months - the Mediafire one downloads but then Avast auto-quarantines it, while the OneDrive link can't be downloaded at all because the site itself says it's got a virus. None of the other Dexes have this problem.

Good shit, m8.

Well shit dude, all versions work fine for me and I haven't encountered any dolphins. Do you want me to put the dex in the volafile or will Avast delete it?

It's certainly worth a shot if you don't mind.

Stop using shitty anti virus. You don't really need any form of anti virus unless you share your computer. Just get malwarebytes.

Well shit, it downloaded fine, but upon unzipping Avast autokilled the executable because of malware. Thanks for trying though user! Went ahead and shot the dev an email, hopefully I'll hear back from him.

I've got Malwarebytes as well, plus Spybot, and I'm running NoScript on top of that. I use my own computer, but I've had problems in the past, so I prefer to play it safe.

Shit taste. Either go full vanilla and have a hunter or go full monsterfag with an anthro tama, not shitty "fused" art. That just makes you a closet furry.

I'll make a MHX or MH4U lobby if anyone wants

Here you go, have more human women in costumes

Why not just fuck the actual monster though?

Monsters are for slaying while cute human girls wear their parts. This is a Monster Hunter thread

Bump
I miss the days when MH4U came out, these threads used to be lively ;_;

ye MHX is kind of meh so it's killed the thread a little

where do you get edgemaster / honed blade gems?

How? I've had a blast with it.

I'm fresh G2 and i just made a white monoblos armor, is that better than having a regios armor at this point?

b-but it was a legit question

bend over

The variants which are the whole draw for endgame are mediocre
I never really think "oh wow they're fun fights", I usually think, oh this fight… again… for the 28th time, soon the armor set won't be 100% useless! (but all the parts of the armor set are worse compared to frankensets pure skill wise, Blizzard Lambongi is the exception because that's pretty much Aerial style's wet dream.)

I mean they're not Kirin bad but I wouldn't say they're on the whole they're fun either, usually they outstay their welcome just from the sheer amount of HP they have.

It never really gets harder after the initial jump to HR 7

Some styles neuter some monsters, and while I'm fine with monsters being easier/harder with a certain weapon you at least had to learn and build the weapon so it's a decent time investment.

The weapon hunter arts range from The best striker is OP, to The literal worst just go bushido to save yourself from having an empty slot. Like GS has a single good art because of how HA attacks don't count as draws for the purpose of crit draw. DS has some good ones, Hammers are ehh, HH is "why the fuck would you use any of these, just throw in one of the generic ones"
That being said the generic HAs are okay, but underwhelming. Some being flat "why the hell are you this desperate for Hunting Artes" like the one that inflicts you with frenzy, and while I see the use for it (affinity is nice). I just question why

By variants you mean the Two Name monsters? Admittedly I haven't had a chance to really sink my teeth into them beyond going all the rounds with Crimson Helm Aoashira, just a handful of fights with White Gale Nargakurga and Purple Poison Princess Rioleia. They seem fun, certainly more to them than most Ashu monsters had, but I haven't gone full tilt on them yet so can't say much. I do know I'll get sick of the theme for them though, especially since I'd much rather hear Dinovalde's theme for his Two Name fight.

Eh, I feel each Style is challenging enough to learn with each weapon, I can't get Bushido down to save my life at all. Striker I just never bother with because I haven't really found any Hunting Skills I like, and I don't want to waste ZL and ZR on them.

Wow these threads are pretty dead lately. I hope things pick up when MHGenerations drops

The game is a grind-infensted weeaboo pile of trash. No thanks

Impolite downvote sage

At least you're self-aware, but that doesn't make it any better.

Monster Hunter is a grindfest and isn't for everyone. Plain and simple. It's a niche game series for a reason, and still one of the better casual-filter games out there it's leagues better than Dark Souls ever was at filtering casuals, that's for sure.

also, pretty shitty for a shitpost. You could've at least tried for dubs, 1/10 shitpost.

moarples

>Using "weeaboo" unironically and incorrectly

Reddit really is nothing but cancer

OP doesnt know the Tama's we see in game are all boys

All the Tamamitsunes encountered in MHX are male. Females have more muted colour.

In turn, all the Gamutos encountered in MHX are females.

Ok.

Are we talking about MH? If so your'are casuls, because only your skill determines if you are required to grind or not. If you are not a scrub its entirely possible to complete any ultimate entry in the series without being bothered by gem or hvnly scl farming.

Tammy is loev

Tammy is better as a guy anyway.

fuck that I am still gonna play MH4U

I don't think the foreign release will do much, everyone's been playing Cross and most likely the foreign version won't be able to link with the game so anyone interested in multiplayer will be skipping out on it.

MH4U HUNTING
I'm helping a HR 30 G1 user
Room: 16-7161-5042-6974
Pass: 8888

Would you receive a footjob from your favorite monster?

HR 9
Haven't played in a while
My only g-rank armor is the Lagombi set
Using a Barroth Hammer
Love the Rathian
Hate the Dalamadur

Good hunts

B-be gentle…

Just out of curiosity, anyone wanna help me improve my game and grind pink rath with me?

I fell asleep but if you're still here I'll hunt with you

Alright, fuckers, I'm a bit of a beginner who first touched the series back when my brother bought Tri. At first I sucked using anything that wasn't SnS and couldn't really get into it, but years later I found out about 3U and MH became one of the only series I give a fuck about now.

Now with that blogshit out of the way, I'm a GS main with Dios Blade+ stuck at Alatreon who tears my Yamato armor that got me through High Rank to shreds, so I'm making Agnaktor S since it's almost as strong, has none of its weaknesses, Agnaktor's one of my favorite monsters I no longer kill and water is the only element the fucker doesn't use. Would I be taking the scrubs' way out by just moving to HR6 to get much better armor? Mark of a Hero and The Brilliant Darkness are only after the credits yet I get the feeling I should only use what Moga has to offer quest wise otherwise I'm making it too easy and I've done exactly that for the former. I've prided myself on not looking up basically anything and I was planning on only dipping my feet into the infamous G Rank only after I skinned the divine faggot for all he's worth, so I can test just how hard everything hits.

Fuck me, that Brachydios is adorable.

Fuck, I should have been posting in these threads sooner. They've really slowed down.

Same poster here. I'm available for hunt again. Anyone like to play?

I'm at a crossroads and both of the paths are the hard way. I decided to go with hunting the Fatalis at the moment since I kinda feel like going solo and I imagine that a guild Dalamadur will be incredibly difficult to take down with my current gear if I'm going to go solo.

I have a full set of level 6 or so Velociprey S armor which all gives me 59 defense each. Before I used the Heroic Sword since it had high affinity but I tried my Extraordinary Cross this time and I believe I hit him enough to make him change his fighting style. He was definitely a lot more wary but, I ended up abandoning the quest when I had like 30 seconds left and I was going to die and lost my last cart due to having blastblight, and one of his meteors heading straight towards me. I quit before I lost so I got to keep the items I used, thankfully, but, I didn't beat him.

I believe that if I try enough I'll eventually make it, as it always has been with any challenge in a game. The goal might be directly in front of me, but the path to getting there might be hard to the point where what seems like a 20 minute task will take hours due to failing that path and having to walk it again, and learn how to be safe on it. It just feels kind of soul crushing when you spend so long fighting and getting incredibly hyped up at the last few minutes only to lose or abandon.

Any tips for what gear I should be using? My Vprey armor has done me very, very well and I think I can continue using it since I'm wary enough of the Fatalis's tricks. The autotracker + XL attack bonus that it gives me is very handy for battle too, even if it does make me squishy. I know my weapon could use some upgrades and generally if I'm nervous about a monster I use SnS since it gives me versatility, fast attacks for a hit-and-run playstyle and the ability to block and use items with my weapon drawn. I definitely should experiment more and it's really silly to ask for help when I can just do this on my own given enough time, but I'm still curious as to if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance

Make a room

sure, give me a minute

lag is not cooperating with me tonight. I'll come back to this or the next thread another night.
LET ME POST

These threads are usually dead and my huntbros are too

people move on to other stuff, user.

I stopped making these threads and let someone take over on making the OPs because I got burned out and played something elseNow that i'm back everyone is gone

Can anyone please give me their opinion on this?

Yeah I've moved on to MH3G, on the 3DS. No multiplayer and no hype means there's not much point hanging around threads.

Having played FU, 3U, 4U, and MHX I am now convinced that 3U was the best. It runs better, it looks better, it sounds better, and to be perfectly honest I feel like mounting and jumping and the IG just don't feel like "Monster Hunter". Having multiple villages is nice and all, but it ends up making them all watered down and small. Whoever composed the music in the 4th gen games fucked up the soundstage so much that it has no bass, no percussion, no energy. Feels like the bottom got knocked out of every new song. Copypaste Hollow is THE single worst area in the entire franchise, and I'm not particularly fond of 2nd gen's volcano either. Speaking of second gen shit: spring raptors. Hated those cunts in FU, was glad that they were gone in 3U, and now they're all back with no end in sight. Meanwhile some of the best monsters from 2nd Gen aren't even in MHX, like Diablos.

I could probably go on and on about how much I dislike 4U's insane RNG overload, or how the Ace Hunters are MonHan's Lightning, or how shitty online with pubs turned out to be, or how dumb Ferocious and Apex gimmicks are, or how they seem to have just removed hitstop in favor of hitflash – but I've gone on long enough.

I came in here and there during the MH4U threads. That game burned me out on hunting games maybe for the rest of my life. Over a hundred hours of life spent on the same game is a long time for someone who works for a living, especially when the returns were diminishing over time. Was fun while it lasted but I knew I wouldn't be back for Cross, or whatever they changed it to.

Diablos is 1st gen.

Personally, I really enjoy Cross, though I think I need to give it time to see if it tops my all time favorite Portable 3rd I'll agree on the music for 4th gen, but the themes for the Shitennou in Cross are fucking amazing, especially Dinovalde's.

Disagreed, I do the same thing and I've easily dumped over 700 hours into 4G alone, and have almost 200 racked up on Cross already. God knows how many hours I've dumped into this franchise as a whole and it's still nowhere close to how much I've spent playing Super Robot Wars

I enjoyed Cross too, it was a big improvement over 4U in many ways, but it suffers in many ways too. Lack of G-rank is crippling for the longevity of the title, and I feel like I've already maxed out and done everything short of autistically grinding to HR999 . Styles and Arts don't really balance the bizarre difficulty of Ferocious and Variant monsters, who feel like they have G-rank health, semi-G-rank attack, and only High Rank speed and aggression. Grinding armor and weapon levels to upgrade them can become really tedious, which compounds with the bloated monster HP pools and lack of speed to keep you interested.

I like Cross MUCH more than 4U, but at the end of the day it's unsatisfying. Like an appetizer with no meal to follow.

And now I'm forced to ignore your opinion.

I wish someone would at least answer me. I'm literally not asking for help in any way.

holy shit is this accurate? why is this game so long??

a lot of grinding to get everything.
A lot of grinding

am i the only one who doesn't feel to play monster hunter anymore? knowing that i will be forced to play muliplayer is killing me, especially when it comes down to variant and ferocius type. Is there a mode or cheat so you can balance the life of monster in online match so i can do it alone? it takes so much time doing the work of 4 people

You're never forced to do multiplayer, it's fully possible to solo everything in the game and far more rewarding that way

the game is literally doing same shit over and over again to get items to make items to then beat stronger monsters to grind and get more items

that's it

not really more rewarding, its just more time consuming. The only difference between highrank monsters in village and guild his the health, which means it's just a longer fight when you do it solo. By the time it takes to bring down a HR monster in guild you could have kill him twice in village (always HR)

The time consuming thing is part of the difficulty though, since you have to accomplish the hunt with the same resources, be it healing items, ammunition for Gunners, etc. If you got boosted health and defense and the like to compensate and it just made the hunts run longer, that'd be one thing, but it being a battle of attrition is part of the challenge.

i get what you're saying but i still don't think so, since you don't really run out of resource like: being able to bring a lot of different healing items, materials to recombine the one used and all the map resource plus the fact that you can just go away, rest and come back. That makes it just the same monster, no new moves, no other challenge, just higher hp=longer fights. If i'm not mistaking, the formula for your attacks in guild also changes so you don't make as much damage.

For me the challenge in moster hunter, and the reward, is knowing i was able to beat a beast because i was able to master my skills, not because i had enough patience to repeat the same actions for a longer period of time.

Maybe I'm just bad, because while soloing high G Rank quests I've run out of Greats all the time, even including a fresh batch made from combines. Running to bed is an option to be sure, assuming Poison isn't wearing you down, but in G Rank doing it too much can actually make you time over, goodness knows I've run the clock down to the wire before.

This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this.

I guess part of the question is "how long is long enough?" If it's just a question of "can you dodge each attack type it can do and/or can you hit it in every zone once" that's obviously not a very satisfying fight, so some longevity has to come into play. Personally, I've always thought of the village quests as a tutorial, with the gathering place quests being meant to be done solo with the option of multiplayer thrown in because, well, that's what's popular these days.

Guild monsters have more defense, which equates to you doing less damage.

Also yes you grind to fuck in monster hunter games, you want that fucking weapon have fun killing the same monster 90+ times for that 5% drop

Again, first I've heard this, considering hitzone charts and the like have never differentiated based on the monster's rank. In the end, there might not be a huge difference between "higher defense" and "more HP" assuming all defenses go up or down at an equivalent rate though.

Then why bother? If you're not enjoying hunting a monster, hunt something else. It's not like there's any shortage of monsters to fight in the game, and the large majority of them are all basically boss fights. If you're that driven to get a specific part anyway, it's not like you can't tilt the odds in your favor, either by focusing on breaking specific parts, or capturing versus killing, or choosing specific quests that also have a chance of dropping that part in the rewards, etc.

It's still grinding
Just because "you can make it slightly easier" still means it's a grind.

more defense is pretty much more HP though, the two are pretty much interchangeable aside from the stagger points being slightly different

Also I just want to point out how stupid that statement is, it took me awhile to process how immensely retarded that was

What I'm saying is that you seem focused on trying to make every item in the game for some reason. I mean, if you want to do that, more power to you I guess, but that's hardly an accurate representation of how progression in the game goes normally. If you're grinding in Monster Hunter, simply put, you're doing it wrong.

Not at all.
Say you're upgrading a specific weapon or aiming for an armor set?
All the parts aren't dropping and it requires more than 2-3 kills?
Congratulations you're grinding that monster for drops.

It's literally a core feature of the game because it's near impossible to get all the drops for any end game weapon/armor in one go.

There is no grind until the end of g rank and even there you can perform well without having anything that requires drops with a chance of 5% or less.
Stop being bad, picky or dumb.

Oh you're just pretending to be retarded got it.

You've either never played the game period or you're just starting out.
Given your previous posts you're just starting out.

HR will require some grinding for either the weapon or armor you want.

and here's some examples from the Grankless MH:gen/MHX
You want to upgrade any armor usually the higher tiers require a gem or some such.
Usually also require ferocious parts.
Variant Sets require you to hunt the monster 30 times to make the full set not useless 24 times if you're only going 4 pieces.

i just started playing

anybody wanna git gud and have some fug? i'm at hr 4

which game faggot 3U,4U, or X

4u

If you're US give me a minute and I'll hop in.

IS WHAT I WOULD SAY IF I COULD FIND MY DAMN CASE.
I'm actually really sorry also super pissed.

So you chose to stay dumb then, got it.

No, it doesn't. Usually keyquests lead you to hunting the same monster several times so you are bound to have the materials for making something out of him. And even if you don't like the equipment from said monsters there are alternatives. For example, there is no way that you'd get no rare drops at all for the entire playthrough. And one said drop is enough to save you from killing the same monster more than 3 times and you don't even have to do the same quest.

>example
And what about monsters that don't have gems, plates and hvnly scales? Surely, you, the player with so much experience in the series that no one can compare, couldn't have missed that? Oh no. You actually did! But it's alright, I'll pretend that nothing of sorts have ever happened.

You know gem is the generic term for the 5% right?
Wait I got it, let me post an anime girl, that'll prove I'm not talking out of my ass.

Seriously you're arguing semantics because you can't even think of a reason of "You have to kill the same monster over and over again" isn't grinding

Look, I know you are retarded, you know that you are retarded, maybe we could stop playing this charade?
But it looks like that it is just my wishful thinking, I guess.
Then, show me an equivalent of a 5% drop item in any of the pics. Though, don't forget, you are playing dumb here, good luck!

Khezu has Wyvern gems and Large wyvern gems.

I like how you tried really hard to pick monsters without any low% drops but failed even at that

I bet some tail parts or claws are more rare than these.

hey you said show me a 5% drop.
and look there's a 5% drop that you have to grind.
5% from literally almost anything

Oh, right, I forgot that I told you to play dumb and you are doing exactly that, that's a miss on my part. Good job.

Jesus christ, I'm waiting for the eventual "I was just pretending to be retarded" from you, because no one can be deluded enough to think that Monster Hunter doesn't have any grinding in it.

I thought a person who is knowledgeable of mh knows the difference between body carve and tail carve/capture. So that is at least 3 times better drop chances. Now if we include quest rewards(5 times better %) and a variety of monsters that drop said item it'd be around 100 times better drop rates in general. 95%^100=0.59% - a chance that you will not get it if you've played the game normally, compared to 99%^5=95% for rath family ruby without going for it and 95%^12*99%^5=51% while breaking every part, carving a tail and capturing them
In my honest opinion it doesn't even stand close.

You can't account for the "100 times better drop rate" because you pulled that number out of your ass first off.
And second off, >fighting the same 12 monsters 100 times in G rank

How is that not grinding

Ok, since you are and idiot, it was quite bad of me to not make a through explanation. So here we go.
But first a note, I went a lil wrong with calculating the chances, but mistakes are so small that its quite irrelevant in the comparison.

Lets assume that average item drop is 5%, 95% that you will not get the item. We get 3 checks for body carve(even though gravios has 4 and more likely to drop the gem) and around ~9 for item rewards. 8 monsters that drop wg. Chance of getting it from quest rewards is 5%. So we get
(95%^(3*8))*(95%^(9*8))=(95%^24)*(95%^72)=95%^96=0,7% chance that we don't get any wyvern gem if we are playing normally(all monsters are usually featured at least once in the key quests).

Lets assume that average item drop is 5%. There are 3 types of rathaloses, 1 check for tail carve, 1 check for each body part break(so 2), ~3 for capture. Quest reward chance is 1%.
(95%^(3*3))*(99%^(9*3))=48% if you try to get the ruby and 99%^(9*3)=76% if you don't.

You are more likely to get 1 wyvern gem from 108 times easier to 68 compared to ruby.
If my memories about probability theory aren't wrong, then to calculate for several drops you'd have to divide the probability exponent by number of drops, so chance of geting 3 wyvern gems in a playthrough where you don't kill the same monsters repeatedly would be 81% and getting 2 rath rubies 13%(not trying)-31%(trying).

You're dodging the main issue here.
Your math is shit because you're assuming a perfect probability curve. You can't assume that when you're actually doing something.

But that's besides the point.
I want to know how in the fuck that isn't grinding
you can argue all day that you have a higher chance to get the gem than a mantle or plate.

I just want to know how that somehow isn't grinding

Its you who is dodging the main issue. My point is that you are pretty much guaranteed to get all the wyvern gems you need without even trying, while for things like plates and rubies you are lucky if you get one even if you try.

You are not killing the same monster several times, you get the materials from just playing the game, how is just playing the game = grinding?

you said "point out a low % drop on the table" and I did, the RNG's really bad in this game sometimes hence the Desire Sensor joke that gets chucked around. People go 20+ hunts with no 75% back breaks, it's not uncommon.

Also the 9 items isn't forced, especially if you like you're saying normally play, you're only forced 3 for item box, the pay is different and caps exclude the carves. Ultra lucky isn't even a forced 9 either so you're assuming perfect case scenario.

You've still failed to prove at any point that killing 8 monsters multiple times to get a drop isn't grinding.
You've failed to prove that you will always be able to make a armor/weapon from a single kill. If you cannot get what you need in a single kill, you will have to kill the same monster, same rank, same area, multiple times.

That is called grinding.

Its not uncommon because its common for people to talk about uncommon stuff. Didn't you think about that? Desire sensor joke works for anything rng related, since you start paying attention to the unwanted income without having a context for previous rolls.

Neither is 3 cap rewards, I'll admit my lack of research for the reward screen drop amount(around 7 is the average), but this mistake is still quite irrelevant. So percentages for not getting the items will change to around 1.6% 12% 25% and 55%-81% 74%-90%.

This is not relevant since there is no chance of getting a ruby from the body carve.

If you were able to read, you'd see that I've never said that you are killing 8 monsters multiple times, hell, I even stated that you are killing each monster ONLY ONCE since they are presented at least these many times in a normal playthrough.

That wasn't the goal for the time being, first thing was being able to prove that there are monsters which can give you availability for their equipment in at least 2-3 hunts.
Now to disprove
I'd have to simply say that outside of keyquests and just quests that feature a new monster there are advanced, frenzy, apex, hunt-a-thon and event types of quests that require to kill the same monster, but in a such a way that it would be in no way grinding, especially if the quest unlocks something like wycoon stuff or kitchen food. You are guaranteed to get the materials for the appropriate weapon without even trying, and for something like armor it may take from 0 to 5 additional hunts depending on your ability to determine the easiest way to obtain the most items in the fewest hunts possible around 2-3 being average, which can barely be called grinding since compared to advancing through the game it takes barely any time.

Well hunting everything should give you enough rank points… oh wait that doesn't put you at high enough HR either.

Well guess the game ends there, you don't grind out HR you need for the last couple hunts.

That's just a complete lie. also
Oh wait you mean I have to kill the same monster more than once…
wouldn't that be GRINDING THE MONSTER

"go kill this monster", "kill it again in the exact same area" totally different, just like "get me 5 bear asses" is completely different from "get me 5 different bear asses"

Is the user who says monhun doesn't have grind ok? i'm genuinely worried about his mental health

1. There are no unlocked HR requirements in the uuuu. Well, now that I think about it there is a few quests on high rank and that's it, but I bet after (2.) you will have high enough HR.
2. If you are talking about crowns then at that point in the game you are free to explore the guild quests that give you all the required scroll points in no time.

And it is a lie because..?
Surely you know that term comes from the mmos, but I doubt you'd hear anyone call getting a few common materials - grinding, usually its about an indefinite amount, but I digress since that indeed would be arguing semantics.

I'm not saying that mh doesn't have a grind, I'm saying that you can play it properly without grinding. And I'm alright, thanks for worrying.

How exactly isn't that grinding.
The common or uncommon nature doesn't change the fact that you're killing a specific monster for specific drops.

Also that's a bold faced lie because you, in spite of your horrible grasp of probability and blatant overlooking of random chance involved, are saying that by playing through at a semi-completionist pace you somehow will never be short on materials.

"you can play normally without grinding" except not grinding leaves you with next to no monster kills period. Certainly not enough to get through your weapon of choice's entire tree without hitting a point where you go "oh I need to kill X monster a few more times"
You're grinding out Key quests, you're grinding materials, you're grinding out HR, You're grinding out left over quests. You're grinding your quest level up.
This game is 100% about grinding, there's no way around it.

SEREGIOS CB IS TOTALLY LEGIT WEAPON CHOICE AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING

MonHun qualifies as a souls-like :^)

Why did they decide to add this pointless shit in?

Step up, evade CB is pretty fucking strong :^)

Apparently GL was outperforming all the other weapon types, so they decided to add another layer of shenanigans for it to do the same damage.
Oh wait

slash axe is still for gays but

makes my balls come out of my dick

I don't use SnS because it's just not satisfying like it was when I started out. With CB you get both a reliable defense far better than it and a more fun moveset. This thing is a dream.

I found I love GS because it's all you need. Slash or beat the shit out of everything and hold it flat in front of you to tank the full force of either something's bulk or a superpowered blast. This thing is all a hunter would need to survive out in the wild.

What was it like when Seregios was revealed? The fact they made an a great wyvern design out of a fucking pinecone is in itself accomplishment.

There's a dude at my work who complains that Monster Hunter is bad because of the grinding involved to get the equipment that you want.

That's what all the normalfags say. It's bad because there's grinding, not because they are too shit to play it successfully and too retarded to understand that you need 10 points to activate a skill.

I'd say the game's not for everyone.
If you don't like grinding then the game's not for you.
I personally love the games, but I can see why people don't like it

I utterly detest grinding. It's the reason I hate JRPGs and MMOs despite being a huge wreaboo.

Monster Hunter doesn't do that to me. A 5% drop rate (that gets rolled for multiple box slots or carve events per hunt) is HUGE compared to the 0.0000005% rate that gets rolled once at the end of a raid like you'd see in an MMO. You almost never get stuck behind a "level wall" and get forced to grind the same worthless trash for two hours just to proceed like you do in JRPGs. Money is plentiful enough to not be an issue at all, so there's no grinding for that either.

In Monster Hunter you are rately prevented from doing the core event in the game (hunting monsters) because of arbitrary number counter and RNG walls. That's what I consider grinding. This is actually one of the reasons I disliked a lot of 4U, because between RNG guild quests and FUCKING Advanced Quests they were constantly stopping me from hunting monsters.

Now if you don't LIKE hunting monsters, and you're angry about having to hunt monsters more than once, then there's no helping you. Monster Hunter just isn't the game for you. I don't know what you expected.

Even if it's not RO card grinding I'd still call it grinding.
fuck card grinding in RO
it's only a 1/256 chance on killing bosses with a 12+ hour respawn don't worry about it

They want a linear unlock tree that gives them a new tool after every kill and probably want monster HP bars displayed.

Theres a manual on the cart and the hunters notes also the internet. No excuses.
Or they skip straight to online because caravan gets too hard after 6*.

The good news is that most of the carried hunters or people who just don't know how shit works tend to quit at bronze crown, due to being fucking booted constantly and flailing around on apex fights due to no wystones.

This is my first monster hunter game, I just finished all of the weapon tutorial missions, and I really liked the bow guns, but I'm worried that i'll end up doing 0 total damage at some point in the game. Should I stay worried? Should I just use the hammer?

You can use bowguns the whole game only problem is they don't really come into their own damage wise until late high early G.
They're nice to have in groups if the person knows what they're doing

It feels like light is better for solo play but heavy's better for team play (since in team people can keep aggro off the heavy gunner) the game's super fun but the learning curve is pretty heavy

I prefer just going Blademaster solo honestly.
Light's the King of Status ailments which you only can really make things happen when you're in groups
Heavy does good damage but its hard getting good shots in against certain monsters.

Both as I said though are super viable and if you want to play them more power to you.
I mean shit I play solo Hunting horn half the damn time so "clear time viability" doesn't fucking matter

Unless, y'know, the grinding puts them off and makes them have no interest in it.

Its actually the opposite. HBG is best for solo play because it shits out the damage needed to kill the monster fast. LBG is better in online because status effects like paralysis are WAY better with a group than when alone.

You'll want to find the skill Evade Extender. It makes life with the HBG so much nicer.

Good riddance it's not for everyone. Fuck "inclusivity" in games. Let the people with money have the gameplay and mechanics they want and pay for.

As someone who's been almost purely swordsman since 2G, I've been doing a run in 4G purely as a gunner, and I can say for sure that if you want to solo with the Light Bow Gun, you absolutely can tear through things, especially if you pay attention to your elements, though if you focus on it, rapid firing the level 2 default shot can be plenty potent too.

Assomeone who almost exclusively uses both bow guns, the HBG will ALWAYS top the LBG in damage output. Even when both guns have the same raw, the HBG has straight up better modifiers. Elemental LBG is not "bad", but it's still beaten by raw HBG every time.

Even with Rapid? I was under the impression that bursts of 3 did roughly double the damage of an individual shell, so I thought HBG would run out of ammo too often. Is that not the case?

The issue with rapid fire is that it does double damage while taking triple the time. It's good for conserving ammo, but for straight DPS its mediocre.

HBG never has much of a problem with ammo because you can carry so many combines for Normal Lv2. It only every becomes an issue in super long 3+ monster hunts, but even then you have Normal Lv3 and assorted Pierce as backup, or visa versa for Pierce sets. Add to this the fact that you can usually load 10 or more of your primary shot type and you're cutting down on reload downtime too.

Yes even with rapid.
LGB is better for statuses
HBG for damage
motion values are a hell of a thing.

Though the damage with an elemental LGB is still higher than the hunting horn, but Hunting horn's damage isn't really it's draw

Technically, LBG and HBG have the same motion values, the difference in power comes from two points:

HBG has the a power barrel (+10% damage) with almost no reason to use the shield over it, while the LBG has to decide between the long barrel (about +6.5% damage) vs the silencer (recoil down + sneak).

HBG in siege mode (about 2x firing rate) or normal firing with the limiter removed (larger clips + another ~13%? damage boost) does more dps than LBG rapid firing or normal firing.

Also LBG being for element shots is a meme, there's nothing in particular that makes element shots better than normal or pierce on LBG.

Huh is that so, I just always assumed HBG had better motion values from how drastic the damage difference was.

But yeah, I know that LBG isn't for elemental, I was just saying even if you did focus on it, you'd still be better than a HH

I honestly love all the collection. It makes every little thing I do feel like progress towards something I want or need to achieve, like going out in 3U and gathering Spider Webs or Stones before I found out Iron Ore can substitute because those little things are necessary for making traps.

When I was stuck on Mark of a Hero I leisurely enjoyed the pretty damn good sounds of nature in Moga while I gathered individually little things like Blue Mushrooms and Honey. The way everything came together for me quickly made this one of my favorite series and caused me to sink in nearly 200 hours and about to enter G Rank in less than 3 months since buying it at Christmas.

I fear the day that will need to go on hunts filled with dungbombs and every other item that are not potions. As a hoarder I tend not to use my items.

I feel a little proud of never once having to throw literal shit just to beat him.

And I personally dream of the day Deviljho gets a subspecies that can swim and fly. Of course, they have to fix those shit underwater controls first.

Yes.

MH4U HUNTING
Room: 48-4001-2443-8832

good hunts

bump

MH4U HUNTING
Room: 57-0501-8861-4054

I've always wondered why they don't let foreign regions connect with each other. Is it because of the DLC for things like Macross or JoJo?

Good hunts

Do you prefer Light or Heavy?

I found I loved LBG after trying it out in 4U's tutorial because of its agile movement and load that constantly needs managing when given the chance where it would probably annoy other people. I might try HBG someday. It seems to have a high skill ceiling to use properly on tougher monsters.

The only weapons I don't enjoy at all are Long Sword and Gunlance.

What the fuck did I do to get a 2000+ hour save back in the day.

Heavy every time. HBG shits all over LBG in basically all cases. GS and Hammer are the undisputed kings of blademastery.

Although recently I've migrated towards "awkward medium". I used Hammer for so long, but now I'm toying with Hunting Horn just for a change. It's amazing how much easier it is to get KO's when you have a moveset that can actually hit heads.

I've heard Hunting Horn described as a "feel good" weapon like the Switch Axe, which in particular I agree with.

So now that I can get free 3DS games, I want to into Monster Hunter, never played it before but people say its good and I need more 3DS games

What should I download first?

What can I expect?

Emulate the PSP one on your computer and play with friends.

Incredibly good fun.

The first one on the 3DS would be 3G, then there's 4 and 4G, with 4G containing all of 4's content, then Cross. All are worth playing, as are the PSP titles. I would personally start with either Portable or Portable 2G, then move on to Portable 3rd before jumping onto the 3DS titles.

I've played most of the PSP Monster Hunter games, but now I want to try some of the 3ds ones. I got my eyes on the new 3ds xl, but I heard some stuff about different kinds of displays. Does the display really matter? What do I need to know if I want to buy a 3ds?

Are there any good resources on homebrew and hacking your 3ds?

Display is a crapshoot. You get what you get and there's no way to tell until you get it, although if it's any consolation I've gone through one 3DS XL (NA) and two N3DS XL's (NA and JP) and none of their screens have had issues.

Homebrew and CFW: github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

For homebrew/hacking there's usually a recurring thread here. Check out

I recommend the New 3DS for the better load times, though I find the old 3DS LL with the Slide Pad Pro attachment more comfortable personally. Such is life though.

For the games themselves, I do recommend playing them in order, though you can of course skip 4 and go straight to 4G since it has all the same content plus more. 3G will more familiar to you overall, plus you'll understand what people are talking about when we talk about underwater combat and why most of us are glad it's gone, and the other changes will make the transition to 4/G and then Cross easier.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

I'm probably going to jump right into 4G since I've already played Tri and Portable 3rd. 3G just looks like Tri + 3rd with G rank slapped on.

Ah yeah, if you've played Tri and P3rd, you've got the general idea of 3G. Still fun, but nothing you haven't seen before really. Go ahead and jump on to 4G.

>opens VIDEO GAME thread with furshit
You're a faggot, OP.

MH4U HUNTING
Room: 43-0314-1545-9113

good hunts

You're not worthy to post Trump. Fuck off.

Why haven't you settled down with a nice human girl, user?

You could get one from a rally! Maybe church is more of your angle?

Have an Angel then user

You're not even trying to stay on-topic, anymore.

The least you could do is let the people from before handle this. Spinning out like the usual furfaggot only detracts legitimate posters, and attracts shitposters to further persecute you for your tastes. Terrible!

Let the professionals handle these threads, next time. Okay?

That's why I saged

That's an unorthodox depiction of an Abrahamic angel, by the way, heretic. For shame!

You should really reconsider being OP, next time.

Whatever floats your boat.

Do you want to play Monster Hunter or are you going to continue derailing?

You're obnoxious.

Not with you, and your buttbuddy below you. That's for sure.

Quit being so jelly.

Where's this from?

Just don't reply to him, he's not talking anything monster hunter related at all

Vid related

Why is YouTube embed so fucking terrible on mobile? 4chan had the exact same problem back when I still browsed.

It has shitty quality in computer too

bump

Dead game

Yeah, no.

Seems kinda quiet so here is a MHX room to stir up the soup
I kinda suck though

Room ID: 47-0900-8996-6533
Pass: 3555

If it's still up, let me reboot my 3DS

Good hunts, I'll hunt again tomorrow if you're still around.

What time will you guys be hunting? I might be able to join in

I can probably make another room around 9-10 AM

In what time zone though? For me, that's 12 hours from now, which I presume is not the case for you

In EST time

So wouldn't that be around now then? Or is my math completely falling apart?

Yeah it's around right about now so in that case here is the room

Room ID: 58-8625-9540-7338
Pass: 3555

Unfortunately, I've a prior engagement right now, sorry. Thanks though, hopefully next time you do I'll be around~

bump

>finally got enough money to buy the n3ds xl and mh4u and yo-kai watch

Atleast the rewards for a mh4u save in Gen don't scale with HR right?

It's just a reward for having a save file at all.

Noice. I assumed so, because it was just like that with FU. Whelp, atleast i can get adjusted to the n3ds until then.

Do you guys think we'll get an MHX demo like Japan did, and like we did for MH4U? I really need to whet my appetite for all that rad-as-fuck shit I've seen like Bushido LS and Aerial DB.

are these the 3DS porn images? if so, got more?

Would this be a good frankensrt for a hammer user in MHX?

Garuga Mask S
Brachydios Mail S
Brachydios Braces S
Brachydios Faulds S
Garuga Greaves S

I would be able to get Earplugs but I would need a Spirit Jewel 1 to activate Challenger. There are probably better sets and Black Flame Rath's set looks very good but fuck fighting the variants and I hate fighting Rathalos

I have dozens, I'll post them if I ever make rooms on 4U or X/Gen

bump

>>>/n/

Finally beat Alatreon in 3U and took a break before tackling the rest of Guild.

I have just one question; is the Silver Rathalos hunt for the Wycoon a fucking G-Rank monster with less damage? It hit hard, moved insanely fast, bounced my Seregios CB unless I hit the legs or had the shield charged and finally most importantly has what appears to be a silver version of Rathalos X when I managed to weaken it just enough for capture. Almost every little opening I had to attack was getting a few cuts before moving away or immediately losing a chunk of health. I've never had that much difficulty with a Rathalos before.

Considering Seregios was 9 Star and Molten Tigrex hasn't appeared, so I couldn't have upgraded it yet it doesn't make sense that it would have bounced so easily even at white.

Metal Raths switch weakpoints. Their head becomes extremely hard and damage resistant and makes fucking everything bounce, while their backs become weaker.

The wings often bounced too, though when I knocked the faggot over. But is that thing's constant attacking a taste of a G-Rank Rathalos?

Oh yeah, Raths in general are huge fucking cunts in 4th gen. They went from complete fucking jokes in FU, to regular monsters in 3U, to bitch cunt whore cocksuckers in 4U.

Easily my most hated monster in the franchise right next to Kelbidrome.

Can't they do something about that fucking charge it spams constantly on the ground? It's the only thing I can't stand aside from zeroing in at lightspeed from anywhere on the map to poison you.

No, because how else would they waste so much of your god damn fucking time than by spamming full-body-hitbox charges that force you to wait for them to finish before you can retaliate?

At least they didn't give them Yian Garuga's charge hitbox. That thing. That god damn 2nd gen thing. The hitbox appears before the animation does.