So, can we call Gotham a proto-Batman show now?

Bruce is like, what, 16-17 and they already have him going full vigilante.

And what the shit is with Catwoman being a crime-fighter too, now? She's a fucking thief, stop trying to make her into a heroine, DC.

Ivy's fucking hot, though. They really scored on the casting with that one.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/maggiegeha/status/901979466242678784
instagram.com/maggiegeha/
tvline.com/2017/09/01/gotham-season-4-professor-pyg-michael-cerveris/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So they've gotten rid of the idea that they can make a show about Gotham before batman ever shows up? Maybe It can actually be good now.

That Scarecrow CGI looked alright.
Based solely on that and the first 3 episodes of S1 being watched, I'll eventually catch up on this series.

There's a whole lotta crap for you to go through. Good luck.

When is someone going to make a fan edit showing just the Penguin shit?

No.

Yes.

I'm not sure what's more baffling.. the fact that they thought some 14 year old in a padded leather jacket is a compelling action hero, or the fact that this show is on it's 4th season and actually somewhat popular.

It's the Young Justice effect, the show panders to fangirls and the Tumblr audience something fierce, who are keeping it alive. Then you have the shipper segment, namely Bruce/Selina lovers and the Oswald/Nygma faggotry lovers plus the Gordon/Thompkins segment, but the show shat all over them in Season 3, so they hate it now.

Among actual Batman fans, I only found a handful who actually watch it and most of them either keep up to see how much worse it can get or in a "it's so bad, it's good" capacity.

6/10 at best.

Reminder that this character is technically supposed to be Catgirl's age but they decided to recast her as an older hotter actress because that'd be better for ratings. They literally just had her fall in some toxicsortaweirdjuice stuff and she emerged as a hottie. Then she goes around seducing people even though she's supposed to be like 13 mentally lol

Yeah, that part's really fucked up. They pretend like she doesn't do anything with the rich older guys she strings along but with some of the shit that happens, there's a pretty strong implication that she at least kisses them if not outright has sex with them.

I don't know why they really needed BW in the first place…do they think you can't have a Gotham show without Batman?

What the fuck? They actually thought they could get away that.

Retarded. But it's always nice to see perfect validation for skipping a shitty show.

Gotham is fucked up when it comes to actor drama behind the scenes.

You don't believe me, do you user?

Vivian?

Nah her colors are green and purple.

Its ridiculous how they keep changing stuff to fit their actors. I can get it with the X files where Scully's actress got pregnant so they had to write in an alien impregnation subplot but making Penguin gay because of his actor is just stupid.

Does Penguin get fatter eventually?

God Penguin is such a pussy. Glad I never watched this show.

The worst thing about the Penguin shit is that now all the Tumblrinas and fags have latched onto it and started claiming that Pengers was always a character with gay undertones along with the Riddler. Much like Poison Ivy got retroactively turned into a fucking dyke feminist because of B:TAS and Harley Quinn when she was originally an erotomaniac eco-terrorist with an obsession with Batman.

Well Batman villains are supposed to be mentally ill so them being faggots makes sense

I know on another thread some user posted pics showing that Penguin and Riddler were just friends.

Kick-Ass was part of the Batman mythos?

And retarded cousin Gilda!
With some image editing, turn the hoodie white and make the googles become red and blue upvote/downvote fluff balls.

They can still turn her into a thief during the season. There's so much insane stuff happening in Gotham, anything could happen.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the show ends like New 52 "Endgame".

Also "full vigilante" - to be fair, he just wore a sock mask in Year One.

This show would be a good (or atleast interesting) if it would be as they interpreted it first. Only Gordon, only early villains, only down to ground mafia villany.
But no… those talentless faggots needed more shekels…

It really wouldn't. The only interesting thing about Gotham is the presence of superheroes and supervillains and all kinds of crazy supernatural-cult/science-gone-wrong shit. A show about the GCPD fighting the underworld in a battle they are destined to lose until Batman shows up would struggle to keep people's attention beyond two episodes. Three, if they are lucky.

People tune in to cape-related shows for the cape stuff. If you take that out, Gotham has nothing separating it from your run of the mill procedural cop show, except some familiar names. And why would anyone bother to watch that when they can just tune into CSI/NCIS/Law & Order/etc?

This. I only keep watching that cheesy show to see the references and crazyness.
Why watch it if it's CSI: Gotham?

I don't even get it, why not introduce all the villains so Bruce gets to know them before he's finally able to defeat them?
Their more or less tragic backstory is still intact, even though it's sometimes absolute bullshit (Ivy, Mad Hatter).
If Batman is an 18 to 20 year old Bruce, that wouldn't make his opponents too old in comparison and gives him time to develop his tools and skills. And he'd be in a better shape than his mid 30s. Actually makes sense to me.
The only issue we have is that Bruce looks like a whimp and should look more buff and adult, that's the downside of seeing him get old throughout the show, too.
See Harry Potter for example, in the last movies I just couldn't see him as a badass, skilled wizard because all I remember is that little kid he was in movie 1. Same with Bruce now.

And why not have a pseudo-Joker with Jerome? I mean seriously, when people think of Gotham City and Batman, they immediately think of Joker. So a Joker-style character is a must-have.

The show borrows much stuff that would happen way later, but consider this: We wouldn't see this, because there won't be a Batman TV show. Whatever happens there that contradicts the Batman continuity doesn't even matter - because Batman doesn't really matter in Gotham either.

I don't think the UK got the later seasons. Last season I saw a bunch of Court of Owl mutants got out, and one of them looked like Bruce.

Penguin started off OK. He's at the bottom rung, so he kisses up while scheming.

Problem is- he doesn't do anything better than other crime bosses. He's been tricked, so he's not as smart. He's been called on his bluffs, so he's not as charismatic. The only thing he does better than other bosses is his viciousness- and that's only because we've seen his work on screen.

However- I do like how when he does get on top- he gets arrogant and fucks up, kinda fits (and I imagine when he's permenantly on top he'll start eating rich food too often to get fatter. However, other media has shown him thinner before- like that Telltale game IIRC). The writers are trying to make him "most dangerous when he wants something". Problem is- half the time he's playing nice with people. He's very sniveling and when he DOES get on top, he doesn't hit hard enough. It'd be lazy writing to show him bitching about someone behind their back, but at least we could tell what he is thinking. Otherwise, we just get how Oz wants to look in front of people, or blind rage.

As for that Webm- it just seems like his typical sniveling to get what he wants- to stay live. But who knows, wouldn't shock me. I am mad Riddler's just killing someone. Sure he's angry, but I'd have expected him to make SOME basic death-trap for Penguin. And lord knows why he's growling here. It also makes this the second time Penguin's been shot and left for dead- he was even tossed in the river IIRC. Had amnesia and was taken in by a family, and once they killed the dad who wanted to give the inheritance to Oz, Oz regained his memories and butchered them.

Even though the show badly suffers from crow-baring in a lot of characters too early in their development/criminal careers, if they had to do Joker they did it in the best way. Same with the Red Hood Gang. Hell, the idea his act inspired the real Joker later on kind of makes sense. Whether he was always a maniac, or the footage faded into his subconscious.

I just can't take him seriously if he isn't dressed up as a giant bat with his own logo painted on his chest

I didn't like the Joker "curse" because it reminded me too much of the Red Hood episode. I felt more like that the hood itself inspires potential Jokers.
The hood thing though, which was kinda psychological, was brilliant. One of the few actually very good things in Gotham.

I like to think that the kid watching TV is the future Joker and that the footage, as you said, somehow faded into his subconscious and slowly comes back over the years and turns his life around.
Would be an interesting story to tell, actually.

And at the same time, it wouldn't give the Joker some kind of issues or motivations.
Maybe the Joker, before he becomes Joker, joins the Red Hood gang because of madness turning into curiosity for crime, and then he ends up like in Killing Joke. Mad from the footage and the hood alike.

I'm not sure if I like his story or not.
On one hand, it's nice when he thinks he's fooling everyone, but the crime bosses turn out to be one step ahead and his plan is ruined.
On the other hand, he loses too often. I was highly satisfied when he e.g. shoots elderly people with a shotgun or violently stabs someone in rage, or tricks someone, because you don't expect it from this whimp.

But recently, all the whining about Riddler and screwing up all the time was way too much.
And HOLY CRAP his story would have been so much better if they killed off Mooney early in the show. Whenever she turned up I rolled my eyes. Almost completely ruined the show. Her acting annoyed me hard, too.

Why even hope for nice things?

>They finally turned Batman into black Spiderman.
>Static Shock never.
Truely, there has never been a superhero with such Utility as batman.

They tried that, and it only worked for half of the first season. The police procedural side of it was pretty fun for awhile, seeing the only honest cop in the city trying to solve crimes, but you could have done that better by making a show not related to any superheroes. So they started hinting at the rise of power for villains. Except you can't have them continually rise to power without them actually becoming the villains, which is the point we're at now.

I hated how the red hood episode had the only guy who was believable as a potential future Joker, and then they killed him immediately in the episode.

Wait, she was turned into bisexual who had a relationship with Harley Quinn. Did her new stupid costume came along with turning her into full blown dyke?

Ivy and Harley being together is the absolute worst thing DC has ever done and I hope anyone who promotes that shit burns in hell.

Sorta. If you look at the comics, half of Ivy's portrayals either go full dyke (such as the Harley Quinn comic) or half-dyke where she is still a carpet muncher but also seduces dudes occasionally. Unfortunately, more than half of the Ivy fandom is comprised of lesbian nutjobs, who keep demanding that DC completely ruin Ivy and turn her into Harley's cutesy BFF with benefits because they hate Poison Ivy's original (and best) characterization.

And to think, this cancer began as mere fetish fuel that spun out of control.

This

Is he going to sacrifice his loved ones, tie down his male friend and rape his girlfriend before his eyes until she turns into a potato?

Well, that's a shame.

It would not be nearly that bad if she would just seduce people to use them, regardless of gender. Harley romance needs to go either way, unless Ivy was using Harley for something, but it would still be sort of retarded.

The fact they tried to do a Batman series without Batman is disappointing. Season 1 should have been about Batman's Zero Year or Year One. Would have made it much more interesting.

But DC and Warner Bro's wanna keep Batman off the small screen.

And now they have no choice as all their live aciton media is falling apart.

This show is still on Television?

that goes for all "lesbian" romance

Woah, she's actually vegan. This girl is a 10/10 for sure then

twitter.com/maggiegeha/status/901979466242678784
instagram.com/maggiegeha/

Why are there so many blatantly gay faggots on this site that refuse to call an attractive woman attractive because he doesn't like the thing she's in? 'Man jaw' is always the go-to insult. It's just called a jaw, faggot.
I've heard people say the same thing about Daisy Ridley. Say what you want about Rey, but the actress herself isn't unattractive. Though she's got a funky-ass smile and mostly looks cute when she looks serious.
You can tell it's all based on opinions about their character rather than their looks themselves, because I've never once see anyone call Carrie Fisher ugly.

Looking at those pictures I can tell she was probably teased as a girl for having high ears.

Huge.

Rey is only attractive if you like feminine boys. Everything that makes women attractive, femininity, is missing in Daisy Ridley.

Confirmed owner of small dick.

Daisy Ridley is fugly and when she doesn't have bitch face she looks straight-up retarded. Fap to her if you're a weird type of masochist or something I guess.

True and Maggie Geha doesn't even have anything close to a manjaw.

…and you call other people faggots.

In the case of Maggie, she has a fairly feminine, cute face and a womanly body. Daisy Ridley has the face of a meth-addicted cockney whore and the body of a 12 year-old boy.

Clearly you haven't looked hard enough.

In the examples you brought up, she's not the ugliest thing I've ever seen (certainly not the most attractive, though, those ears are pretty nasty), but as soon she tries to make an expression beyond neutral (like the ones you posted, sans the third one where she starts to look on the nastier side), she looks disgusting.

Also while the jaw is certainly part of it, the large forehead and weird-looking ears aren't really aesthetically pleasing.

You're proving my point here, fago.

I'm sorry that you find ugly chimps attractive. Please seek help.

Go back to 4chan with that racism - OH WAIT it's a cuck place now and I actually miss the time when it was fucking racist.

Anything proves your point because your a retard not wanting people to insult your waifu.

Fuck not really user. I would actually watch Bullock-Montoya plus recruit buddy cop series dealing with shit over their head and still having to be normal cops..
You just need to not show any capeshit, so the attention stays on normal people, I think there was a comic that had a bar or something like that where the owner was normal but the place was full of capeshit
BatmanVsuperman had a good opening scene where all the attention was on the cop being terrify of entering the house with Batman there

user was talking about a pre-Batman show where none of the villains or the cool supernatural/science stuff exists. Just cops vs. mafia in Gotham.

In that regard, he is completely correct. No one would watch that shit.

Maybe certain fanboys would…as a comic book miniseries

Well, at least he's wearing a costume. It looks like shit, but it could be worse. With Smallville, we had to wait until the very end of the series to see anything that remotely looked something like the comic.

Oh….shit then I've completely misread that

What? People watch mafia and cop shows all the fucking time. Sell a show as "The Sopranos v.s. NYPD Blue", following the lives of both the mob and the police, like The Departed or Heat as a series, and the proles would eat that shit up.
Hell, I put it like that and I'd watch it.

"The Sopranos v.s. NYPD Blue" would totally be a cool show. But that's not what a pre-Batman Gotham would be about. A show like that would be about terrible shitty criminals getting away with crimes because the entire police department is rotten to the core, and no one actually does anything or solves anything. Even if you decided to focus on the criminal element "winning," you still have to make them unrepentant assholes to show the necessity of Batman showing up some time in the future, and even if you could manage to root for them, you'd know that Batman is going to come swooping in in the next few years and kick their fucking teeth in before getting them tossed in the slammer. It's be an edgy grimdark show that would come off as written by a 13 year old who just lost his parents in a carjacking.

A *good* Gotham would have spent all this time showing as Gordon rose up in the ranks in the Gotham PD, slowly unfucking the corruption of it, except being unable to do much because of the stranglehold the crime families have. He gets the Gotham PD to have cops that want to do genuine good but can't, because there aren't enough people willing to put themselves in direct danger by going against the mobs, and as Gordon is about to give up hope for his police department, they start getting word of some crazy asshole knocking around mob enforcers that no one has been willingly to approach for years. Then slowly introduce Batman with awe and mystique from the cops perspective.

In the show Nygma was straight which basically made them enemies at a later point (after Oswald killed Nygma's gf.), as for the webm, Nygma pulled some mind tricks on Penguin before that scene took place, later turns out Ivy used some kind of healing stuff to cure his wound this time around, the first time Gordon didn't shoot him, just pretended to.

Also, Gotham literally assassinated every other character, Gordon is no longer "by the book", Tompkins never became Bruce's surrogate mother, and now it turns out Batman was Al'Ghul's (or whatever his name was) idea all along.

All they had to do was make a Gotham Central show. That's it. They didn't need to do a pre-Batman version of Gotham Central featuring baby villains and baby Batman, not when the GCPD gets shit on constantly even with Batman around.

Literally my fetish.

It's Pyg time.

tvline.com/2017/09/01/gotham-season-4-professor-pyg-michael-cerveris/

Is this what so many people call a butter face?

This will be interesting.

What the fuck is with the push Professor Pyg keeps receiving? I see him all over the place now and he's basically just a cheap knock-off the Mad Hatter with a "too edgy for you" gimmick.

Along with the Court of Owls, it's like DC insists on latching onto their writers' shittiest ideas.

Court of Owls was awesome, just not in this show, there it was godawful.

Kill yourself.

It really wasn't.

Just to diversify the villain roster, you can only have so many Joker episodes.

Joker's barely in the show and there are about seven or eight other villains I'd pick before even considering Professor Pyg.

I wish Gotham was good.
I could only tolerate it up until Strange brings Fish back
Seriously fuck that. I was so glad when that character was no longer on the show, but then they bring them back on. Fuck.

Yeah, but DC barely remembers any of them past the Joker.

Seen this gallery? Kinda nice.

Casual faggotry.

I know the writers of BTAS hated having to use DeVito's version of Penguin, but that doesn't explain why they let Birds of a Feather happen, an episode that relies entirely on Penguin being a mutant freak. I don't really like when writers try to make Penguin a mob boss type. All he does is sit in the Iceberg Lounge, Batman foils a plot that he has some involvement in, then he's set loose because Batman doesn't know how to stop "legitimate businessmen".

I don't even get why Burton made him a freak in the first place.

You are the casual faggot here

It doesn't "rely" on Penguin being a mutant freak. Plenty of Penguin stories, even before Batman Returns, played on his social problems and insecurities over his appearence. Burton wasn't the one who came up with the idea of Penguin being freakish and weird, the comics did. Burton just exaggerated it and gave him other issues to try and make him more interesting.

WB did force the TAS team to use the Returns design, and people use this argument to complain about Batman Returns, but it holds little weight to it. They got around to it eventually and learned to use it in their favor. I'd say it was even a good thing WB made them do it, because their original plans for Penguin (making him a Norman Bates type who Batman called mama's boy) weren't great.
And Birds Of A Feather is considered the best episode featuring Penguin from TAS (and it's the only one that is really about him).

Casual.

The thing was though that The Penguin wasn't "freakish and weird". The artists of early Batman were heavily influenced by the art of Chester Gould, and The Penguin reflects it. His look is basically a caricature of snooty rich people.

It's only when comics started to shift to "realistic" art, and subsequently populated by less talented artists, was he suddenly considered a "freak". His appearance didn't fit with their limited visual art skills.

Because that's Burton's Modus Operandi.
Look at his movies, Beetlejuice: weird and freakish story and characters.
Nightmare Before Christmas: he might not have directed it, but it has the hallmarks of a film touched by Burton.
Sleepy Hollow: weird and freakish retelling of the Headless Horseman story.
Alice in Wonderland: weird and freakish retelling of the books
So making the Penguin a mutant freak is par for the course when it comes to Burton.

Meredith is a god and will forever be the definitive Penguin. There is no disputing this.
But I will speak out against people who hate DeVito Penguin for "NOT MUH" reasons especially if they are Gotham casuals who couldn't give a shit about the character until he was cute and marketable.

His first appearence in Detective Comics #58 literally introduces him with, and I quote

The panel I posted above where Penguin calls himself a "freak" comes from The Penguin Affair, published two years before Batman Returns.
Just because Penguin pretends to be a perfectly normal citizen doesn't mean he is one. And even when he doesn't think of himself as a monster, he is. A hateful creature through and through. That's honestly a really big part of what makes the character.

Actually…

all three of them are great in their own way.

This is the correct response.

Reddit user, I wouldn't call Danny's proformance anything like the Penguin, he played a character called the Penguin but it was no Penguin.

Not really.

Ok listen here dumbass who probably still cries because his mom threw all his 80s comics away.

Danny's penguin was a good penguin within that crazy Burton world. I hated that they perverted him up and he was way over the top, but the look wasn't bad. And he had his helicopter-umbrella. And penguin-friends. They'd never put that into any movie anymore nowadays, but it's not unlike e.g. TAS. He's not clever, that's sucked, but on the other hand the movie juggled 3 villains like a Spiderman 3. Within that movie, it fit well.

And now to drop a bomb:
I actually hate the Burton-Joker and like the second movie more.

Penguin is supposed to be short

Let me see if I got this right: you read Pain and Prejudice or Joker's Asylum and watched Gotham and that's the understanding you have of Penguin, correct ?
That's why you dismiss Burton's version as "not muh Penguin", right ? Because you think Penguin has to be one specific way otherwise he's not Penguin, and that specific way is the way you came to like him, correct ?
And then you call me "reddit" even though you have such a idiotic and normie opinion ? Most normies hate Batman Returns for this exact dumb reason.

Just because you didn't care about Penguin until Gotham made it cool to like him and Joker's Asylum made him an edgelord doesn't mean you get to decide what makes for a proper Penguin or not, especially when you seem so blindingly ignorant to the character's history and the characterization that the movie helped expand on.

I've watched the first 2 seasons, and I'm really glad I dropped it. I enjoyed atmosphere and the set designs. Harvey and especially Alfred were well-done. But the rest of the series is an edgy mess, see the eye-gouging scenes. Penguin was okay when he wasn't sperging out nearly all the time. But the rest of the villains seemed rather flat. Also, Bruce's arc feels rushed at times and sometimes nonsensical, finding out who killed his parents and why by the end of season 2. I never expected this show to be good, and it's good to have something meet my expectations for once.

I can see that. Joker felt more like Jack Nicholson being Jack Nicholson.

He is much more bestial and unhinged than most versions but he's not a retard. He is still doing classic Penguin things like playing people for sympathy, framing Batman for crimes he commits (something he did in his very first appearence), blackmailing and backstabbing his partners and pretending to be more gullible and harmless than he really is.
He gets manipulated by Shreck and gets sidetracked (from planning genocide as revenge to legitimately wanting to be mayor), but guess what, that's a recurring thing of the character too. Plenty of the things that make Oswald Cobblepot an interesting character (and not just his gimmicks as a villain) were present in the movie or introduced by it.

The only actual villain of the movie is Max Shreck.
Penguin and Catwoman are just as central to the story as Batman, arguably more so. I'd argue that the movie's problems with it's script (which is messy I'll admit) mostly come from trying to juggle 3 main characters.

I don't hate him but I wasn't very fond of him either. I can agree with that.

Penguin terrorizes Gotham, murders the Ice Princess, and tries to kill all the kids in the city. He's definitely a villain.

That isn't what I meant but I should have worded it better.
What I did mean to say is that Penguin, in the movie, is more than just the villain. He's one of the main characters of the story that literally starts with his birth and the movie treats him as such. He and Catwoman get more focus than Batman does (I'd argue Catwoman ended up being the real protagonist of the movie and both Batman and Penguin acted as the respective ends of justice and monstrosity she was split between, but I digress).
Max Shreck is a more straight up villain for the majority of the movie up until the third act.

Oh, I get you. Yeah, that's true. Batman's pretty much a supporting character in that movie.

Would you say Penguin being in character was intentional by the director/writer, or accidental?

It was a little bit of both. And although it was a departure, the movie helped to firmly establish some of Penguin's most prominent character traits (even if it had to discard others to make it happen).
Daniel Waters and Wesley Strick definitely knew more about comics Batman than Burton did and they are the ones who wrote the majority of the movie (Waters in particular was a big fan of The Dark Knight Rises). Danny DeVito also deserves credit because he was a genuine fan of the character and the comics prior to working in the film, and he offered suggestions and quirks that ended up shaping the character.
Burton's knowledge of the character was mostly what he saw in the 66 show, and he went on record stating that he wasn't really fond of the character before working in the movie (he didn't outright dislike Penguin he just didn't think there was much to him as a character). He took what he knew from the show and envisioned Penguin as an outcast and deformed manchild, a combination of a German Expressionist villain, Richard III and Edward Scissorhands, and emphasized him as a dark reflection of Bruce Wayne, and that, to him, made the character more interesting. He stated

Of course, Burton didn't know that Penguin in the comics already had duality and tragedy going on as well. In fact all he had to do was just read The Killing Peck and he probably would have connected more with the comics version instead of making up a different backstory.
A lonely, physically unattractive man who grew up alone and bullied with nothing but his mother and his pets for company and developed a fixation on power while craving affection he is unable to respond to because of his upbringing ? That seems tailor made to appeal to Tim Burton.

Remember the time Gail Simone wrote the Penguin to be an actual virgin because apparently he's just too ugly to ever get laid?

No, user. I'd rather not remember anything Gail Simone ever did.

And it's not like it matters because Pengers clearly had sex before and he even had a bastard in a recent Batgirl story.

Was there doubt about that?

There's a post right above the one you're replying to, user.

Says a lot about her thought process really.
Side note: I'd love to peer into the alternate universe where the genders in this page were flipped. I love shit storms.

No matter how ugly he is, he's rich.
And women are predictable. Sooo…

I like this depiction of the Penguin as a noble gangster.

You misogynist shitlords!

I quite liked this show. I actually enjoyed it a lot. Then Season 1 ended.

I enjoyed Season 1 as well.

What they should have done was had Bruce leave at the end of season 1, and begin his training abroad. Wouldn't have even had to remove his POV from the show. We'd just see what he went through.

Fast forward 4 or 5 seasons, and he's starting to represent an early Batman. Different actor though (as the current one couldn't bulk to save his life), to demonstrate how far he'd come.

Thing is, I probably would agree with that assessment…were it not for the fact that Gail Simone herself is probably as fat as The Penguin and she has a son.

You know when I first heard of her name I thought she was black.

Just curious what did you guys think of the portrayal of the Penguin in The Batman? I didn't like the whole martial arts flip but I did like his personality.

I liked the design and VA a lot, and having him sit in the umbrella like a rocket instead of hanging from it like a propeller was a nice touch.
Making him able to go toe-to-toe was inevitable, but it would have been nice seeing him rely on tricks to fight (though how tricky do you make him until batman looks dumb?)
I didn't like Marlyn Manson Riddler, but liked Chimpanzee Joker. I actually think his straightjacket costume was better than his normal costume minus shoes. The long sleeves gave him move fun shit for animation and using that long-sleeve martial art style + whips.
My taste isn't totally shit. The Season 2 and onwards opening theme was better

He falls in the middle for me. There's plenty I like and plenty I dislike.
I didn't really mind him being able to fight Batman. I thought Teh Batman turning everyone into a ninja master was stupid and it kind of ties into one of the bigger problems with the show (how toyetic it tries to be) but I think it was a decent return to form. I liked some of the changes made to his backstory that brought him closer to Bruce Wayne, I liked his antagonistic relationship with Alfred and I liked the Kabuki Twins.

I didn't care much for his personality because he was just a standard cartoon joke villain. His personality was interchangeable with that of any other villain and although I like Tom Kenny as a voice actor, I didn't think his work on Penguin was anything stellar. He was evil Spongebob who at times almost veered closer to Burgess Meredith but without charm.
Most of the time he just appeared almost seemingly tacked on to episodes that would otherwise be fine without him, which is a recurring problem with the character that writers just use him to fill in space instead of actually doing something with the character.
I also have problems with the design. Teh Batman as a whole is abysmally ugly and while Penguin's look wasn't horrible (it's pretty hard to fuck up Penguin's design) it wasn't very good either
All they did was exaggerate and cartoonify the Batman Returns design but throw in that stupid hair. It's a fuzzy little clump of orange tacked into a design built entirely on monochrome elements because they thought they were being clever by making him look like a rockhopper penguin, and making it in turn stand out too much when it shouldn't. It's the kind of dumb decision a kid would make by mistake on a coloring book. And they didn't really try to match it with the rest of the show's colors either so most of the time he has a dull lack of contrast in the colors going. They could have made him more colorful, like Silver Age Penguin, or maybe even given him the purple top hat to bring him closer to Burgess Meredith.

He's not the best but he's not the worst either, he just falls in the middle for me.

They should have used everything from the movies

best batsuit
best catwoman

they're clearly a bunch of nostalgiafags