Nipponese Learning Thread

Why aren't you learning Nipponese user? Don't you want to play all those Nipponese only games that will never be released in English? Don't you want to play games without incomprehensible accents, new bugs, memes, ellipses only conversations, wild personality changes, pickles or slappyface? You can't learn Japanese, it has to come from hard work and guts.

how do I learn Nipponese

bitlasers.com/djt

docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true

Random Nipponese only game of the thread: Yakuza Inshin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y8dph5zeQw8
dlsite.com/soft/circle/profile/=/maker_id/VG01562.html
ankiweb.net/shared/info/798002504
nihilist.org.uk/
jgram.org/pages/viewList.php
youtube.com/user/NTDChinaUncensored
jisho.org/search/がや
dansyaku.cagami.net/dansyaku_majin1_EDsyuu.shtml
hukumusume.com/douwa/betu/
umich.edu/~umichjlp/kana.html
realkana.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Gikun
raw.senmanga.com/
jisho.org/word/十日
nihongoichiban.com/2011/10/05/particle-が-ga/
youtube.com/watch?v=fQKy44eVYT4
nova.co.jp/hd/teachinjapan/home.html
exhentai.org/g/933745/de0b776a75/
8ch.net/a/res/474923.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't learn Japanese, but at least I have subs.

I think it's time
To learn nipponese,
Kiddo.

you can't learn japanese

So apparently they kept all the shit in FE14 in the European translations

The absolute madmen!

As in the EU version isn't censored and missing gameplay?

Oh and I've been studying Jap for nearly 2 months now (just focusing on Kanji and vocab and once I have at least 1k Kanji and 2/3k vocab somewhat mastered I'm going to start working on grammar).

i'm under no illusion that after i've attained a decent comprehension of jap that i'll have any more love for vidya than I do now, which is none. I'm learning just for the sake of learning.

Head up for the more advanced learners, Yakuza 1 is alright to read as far as difficulty goes but Yakuza 2 might be a nightmare for people who have a hard time with Kansai-ban.

Seriously, most of the dialogue is in it.

How do I start into kanji and grammar efficiently?
Also, please post more Genki "you can't learn jap" girl

By reading the guide.

Seriously though, who's the nip QT?

Why aren't you learning Arabic user? Don't you want to play all those halal only games that will never be released in English? Don't you want to play games without incomprehensible kuffiers , new bugs, infidels , ellipses only conversations, wild personality changes, pickles or slappyface? You can't learn Arabic, it has to come from hard work and guts.

because sandnigger-speak is ever so slightly less useful to me than nip

Lol

Never ever forget to do your reps! It's super gay!

In a month I'll have been learning for a full year.

Feels weird.

I've been here for about 2 months. Can you read things yet? What can I look forward to?

Send help.

I'm at the point where most shit I can manage to get the gist of while reading it. I'm nowhere near perfect yet, but the further along you get the easier it is to remember shit.

if you can understand 20% of a language's most popular words, you can read/listen to 80% of a language. It gets exponentially harder from there.

post your anki stats fags

i just got past 下 a couple days ago, that was a fucking SHITSHOW

FUCKING 下り、下がる、下げる、下る、AND OTHERS I DON'T FUCKING REMEMBER. WHY THE FUCK IS DOWNTOWN THE CENTRAL AREA OF A CITY ANYWAYS I DON'T UNDERSTAND I'VE LIVED IN A TOWN WHERE DOWNTOWN IS LITERALLY DOWN IN A VALLEY PRACTICALLY MY WHOLE LIFE.

Who maintains the djt doc? a 4ch board?
the link shortener leads to something new.

First image is my first kanji deck that I finished ages ago, second is my vocab deck, third is a new RTK deck I just started literally a few days ago to brush up on my kanji again.

No, it's fucked.

こんばんわ みなさん
I'm looking for shows with people speaking slowly and with easily identifiable subjects. That's how I got a hold on learning English, I watched (mostly) movies reviews and that helped me a lot.
Now I want to do the same with Japanese and anime simply don't help, the characters speak too fast and often is about something plot related, hard to get. I already know hiragana and katakana and I'm learning the easiest kanjis at the moment.
If the show is on youtube or nico, that would be even better. I'll begin if Gamecenter GX, but I'd appreciate more suggestions.

Thank me later user!
youtube.com/watch?v=y8dph5zeQw8

Daily reminder that you can't learn Japanese.

don't discourage him like that

I hate myself sometimes

What are even some good nip only games? I am under the impression most good ones have been at least fantranslated since thats just a fruit of their practice. What are some with absolutely no english fanpatches, no english translations, or anything major cut outside of censorship (which japan may be even worse about than even the US)?

Say I was moving some files around on my computer, and somehow ended up deleting my user data, making me lose months worth of progress because I didn't make any backups, what would I do?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

And I forgot to mention I'm talking about Anki.

Have you guys tried memrise for learning the kana? I find it really helpful.

You don't have your Anki deck synced to the web? If not you may have to start over.

I've been using AnkiDroid. Is Memrise any better?

カウンターバンプ

Anki automatically makes backups, I think it's every time you close it or sync. In anki folder under user profile folder. Synching with ankiweb is also a good idea.

It's good for a total beginner, but AnkiDroid might be better if it's specialized. Memrise is more for any language.

Use a file recovery program.

Thanks for your input; I've come to a resolution.

Come back to it in a few months and you'll feel a lot better. Come back in a year and you'll feel great.

I ran into Kansai-ben a couple times like, two or so years ago. It was a huge pain in the ass, so I read every goddamn thing on kansaiben.com (or something like that anyway). Since then, I've barely seen any, so I'll probably have to read it all again if I ever play/read anything with a good amount of Kansai-ben again. I'm not as shit as I was before, but it can still be annoying, I had to ask a Japanese guy a couple questions when confronted with a character in Dragon Quest IX that spoke Oosaka-ben about six month ago.

But your post reminded me of Fatal Frame. Fatal Frame I and II weren't that bad. Had to look up words and kanji a lot, but it wasn't that hard to understand most of the time. Fatal Frame III though had a bunch of old Japanese in it which I knew nothing about at the time (and I don't know much more now to be honest), so it was a real pain in the ass, I hated going to Rei's house because it'd mean spending 30 minutes reading 10 pages of stuff full of old Japanese or something. These things written in what was supposed to be really old poetic Japanese I admit I wouldn't have understood had I not looked up the English translations.

Anki is terribly boring. I think about giving up on it now and then. One of the best translators I know didn't even know about Anki until I told him about it a couple months ago, he definitely doesn't need it.

Doom doesn't have a Japanese scene, despite being ripe for Japanese NEETs to come in and triple the aesthetics.

Hello, I needed this phrase translated, and since I don't know glorious moon runes I used google translate, could any of you wonderful weaboos tell me if it is correct?

たわごとは、私がめちゃくちゃ! 逃げる!

Literally should mean "Shit, I fucked up! Run away!"

bump

Why Kyaroru ? Surely カ would suffice ?

English "ca" sounds are generally transcribed into Japanese as 「キャ」.
I think it's both an attempt of approximation and to make up for their lack of vowel sounds, since "cu" as in "cut" is already written as 「カ」, so カット would be cut and キャット would be cat.

Fucking Kanji how do they work? is there some kind of logic behind them?

Is there something that gives me an idea on what the kanji means in combination with kana or other kanji, I mean does knowing the parts it's made of (I think it's called radicals) help me to get the meaning?

I mean there are words with similar meaning using the same Kanji but I can't really see the pattern.

RTK and I assume similar methods focus on that. You learn the radicals and how to use them to remember the kanji.

no
yes to both questions
and HELL no

Learn how to create mnemonics especially using the radicals their made out of. If you know most of the radicals, you can make dumb little phrases or stories out of them.

honestly though i just wing it most of the time, i don't even write them because i'm too damn lazy. the general shape of the kanji is just burned into my mind like a picture and the word is recalled.

trips of truth

time to bleach my eyes

ゴンドラ

dlsite.com/soft/circle/profile/=/maker_id/VG01562.html

DLsite is having a 50% off sale on all Falcom games. The only one of these I've played in Japanese is Zwei!! but I'd recommend that one as it's not too difficult to understand. The Kiseki games are a lot harder apparently. The first 5 Eiyuu Densetsu games aren't as bad though from what I hear. The second game isn't on PC, sadly.

If you want some cheap learning material, get on it.

Can anyone more advanced help me?
The guide has too many options.
I just want to play Yakuza.

Read through tae kim's guide and download basic kanji sets for anki, there should be downloads in the guide.

Will do user.
Thank you very much.

On a related note; I recently installed/ activated the Japanese keyboard option on my PC an must say that I'm shocked at how easy it is to write in Japanese.
It obviously doesn't get me very far since I don't know any actual words.

If you still want to splash around in the shallow end, do Heisig's RTK on Anki.

You're gonna have to start grinding grammar at some point, though.

I will.
All with due time.
I have to learn Kanji first.
I really like these threads.

Kanji is going to take you a fair while. Knowing some basic grammar and being able to understand a few things will hopefully inspire you to keep going.

おい
I read the guides but I found no recommended Anki decks for Kanji. What should I be using? I use core for vocab.

If someone could tell me how to upload a deck, I could give you the one I use that isn't online anymore. Or you could just make your own. Meaning on the front, kanji on the back.

どもありがと、みすた。ろぼと

Please do upload it friend.

ども。

bump

I have no idea if it will come out right, but here you go. I've edited a few cards, and added a few.
www.dropbox.com/s/if5j8wvxrbtqfmf/Heisig%20RTK%2016th%20edition.apkg?dl=0

Lmao thanks anyway friend. I want a kanji deck in jyouyou order with strokes and readings. It's hard to fine. Best I found was

ankiweb.net/shared/info/798002504

Why would you want readings in a kanji deck? You use the kanji deck to learn stroke order and meaning, and the vocab deck and reading practice to learn readings.

Huh good point. Fuck readings then. Nonetheless, neither that deck nor

Has stroke order.

I can't tell you which decks have stroke orders or not, but you are aware that there's a special font you need to install to get them, yes?

くそ外国人、基本的な漢字も読むことできないよ。新米のように振舞うべきで「Tuttleの漢字と仮名」と[まさひろたにもりのEssential Japanese Grammar」を得ないと駄目だよ。

No I was not. Why do I need a font? Know the name?

nihilist.org.uk/

Pretty sure this is it.

ウホッ! いい女…

やらないか?

Theres no pattern. Just gotta memorize that shit.

うんち大好き

I'm thinking about going to Japan for a year to learn Japanese.
I just lost my job anyway and I could pay for it using a small amount of my savings.

Oh god I want to do this but I'm not sure if it is needed or if it'll help me to find a to find a job in the future.
I want to do something related to Japan for a living, either work there, do business with Japan or something like that.

You could always translate

Just do it.

Worst case scenario, you open a portal to Gensyoko in the spoopy suicide forest.

I just installed Anki and the deck from the guide.
What do I do now?
How do I give an answer?

Fuck wrong image.

I have the same question, I learned hiragana and katakana and I want to start kanji and grammar and I don't know what to do.

Please help

help with what? You study the kanji with your resource, write it down 50 fucking times, open the anki deck and try to guess right when it appears. If you're correct good, if not press the again button.

I hate to discourage people, but this has to be done. I know a guy who was stuck in a dead end job here in the US, so he decided to teach English in Japan for a few years. His thinking was that foreign work experience would show companies that he could adapt do new situations, could overcome problems as big as language barriers, and stuff like that, which he figured would make him much more marketable. He's now back in the US and jumping from one shitty, low pay temp job to another because US companies don't give two fucks about work experience if it happened outside US borders.

read eroge VNs maybe learns some vocab first

It's actually a good way to build vocab. Just use a text hooker for quick and easy definitions, and add all the words to your anki deck.

Study grammar from online sights like this one.

jgram.org/pages/viewList.php

All of the ED games are brutal. They use
常用外漢字 (non-general use kanji) liberally.

It's complete gibberish.

テスティングwwww
IMEs are neat

How bad are they if you have a dictionary ready? For me, when reading something the grammar and/or slang is what makes it difficult rather than vocabulary.

日本語の馬鹿

If you can get a text hook to just copy all the kanji or something, maybe not that bad.

OATS AND GAINS

Hello?

こんばんわ

こんばんわ、ともだち

Trying to power through Tai Kim's guide. It's pretty dense, so I re-read whatever I covered later in the day to see if anything slipped out of my head.

Hopefully I'll retain enough by the time I start reading.

finished げんき2, what do i do now

going to japan for 2 months at the end of the month

>こんばんわ
>わ
>わ
>〝は じゃない
(--〆)

Nerd.

Are these two the same?
Also what does they mean?

A

>子供の日
>not 少年の日

It is called こどもの日 (or 子供の日) in Japan though, not 少年の日.

少年 is for boys
子供 is neutral

Did I translate this correctly? If not, what did I get wrong? I did a Google search to check and I got a lot of phrases close to it popping up, but tl not this translation itself, so I figure that I did something wrong, but it seems like a very basic sentence.

only due to SJW shits saying girls shouldnt be chained in the scullery for their life

jew-kunは侍に恐れさせられます。

jews are forced by samurai to fear (against their will)

Does anyone have a link to all of the Namasensei videos again? I apparently deleted them.

搖搖頭 老實說 家庭

I don't want to learn chink, I want to learn jap.

Yes.
a.

你會不會完成與豬狗語言的任何東西

Alright, now you're just being rude, get the fuck out.

Fuck off.
China is a cancer on the planet.

Oh, after 2 years I will finally know the basics!

AB ZUM GAS WEEBS

Nice trips, but you appear to have had a stroke.

Es scheint wir haben einen Bolschewisten unter uns.

Ich hoffe du hast da irgendwas falsch verstanden.

aslo
Germany had very good relations with Kuomintang durning interwal peroid, but Japs told you to stop investing in China, and you did so.

Aww, everyone's so green and just starting out, it's adorable! There's no WaniKani memeing, not even arguing over decks…it's surreal!

can't wait for next year when there's a book club and gunsmith threads and shitposting over distros and RMS

You know, if you're that bored, you can always play some video games.

できないならどうする?

Heh.

You don't understand, I'm excited! If I posted pic related on /djt/ I'd have a half-dozen anons yelling at me for not using the *hot new* deck of the week. I can't wait to see what new and exciting forms of shitposting we'll develop! also

or is this the first?

There used to be RMS threads, but people made it abundantly clear that they don't really care about Linux because they want to play games. Linux fags would argue "WINE AND VIRTUALIZATION" but most people agreed, they'd rather just have shit work than use a half-assed slow method like virtualization.

Every now and again Linux fags will surge up and try it again, but nobody really acknowledges them.

Thanks, and how do these sound as well?

I hadn't considered this at all.
That does sound like it could have potential.
Looking forward to it.

nice dubs, but what the hell are you gonna play in Mandarin?

im not going to play mandarin games
im gonna make and sell them to the chinks themselves

Kuomintang was corrupt as fuck though, just like the CCP.

Japan actually bothered to modernize the countries they took over, while Chiang Kai-shek and his wife bled their own countrymen dry, and played the victim card overseas for more American dosh for the war against Japan (an idea which was heavily supported by Soviet Russia too, might I add).

大日本帝国 was a far better ally than the shithole that is China, if not the more moral one.

some rape, a little genocide, and a few five year plans never hurt no one

Japs are the most morally just people on earth. Right after Hitler and Joseph "20 million" Stalin.

here
i usually go to work 40 mins early and do cram sessions/catch up on what i didn't finish. all my breaks are just vocab sessions, it works really well.

also how do i stop being so lazy and into grammar?
everytime i start i get really fucking lazy. I understand some basic things, but the copious amount of verb types and adjective types crushes my will.

good luck anons

Chinese soldier committing crimes while wearing civilian clothes' gonna get executed. Fucking Japanese, how dare they.

Yeah I'm sure the Koreans and Chinese are real happy with their breadlines and being used as slave labor.

Feel free to stop anytime, Wong.

I don't even know if I'm approaching kanji correctly.

Basically I finished a deck that helped me memorize all the radicals so that's out of the way, so I loaded up the Core 2k/6k deck for vocab along with Kanjidamages deck for learning kanji.

I do about 15 new cards of each two decks every day, but I can't shake the feeling that kanjidamage is unnecessary since the vocab deck introduces kanji either way.

Would it really be necessary to memorize all kunyomi and onyomi readings? Some kanji have a gorillion readings.

Learn readings through words. You'll start to get a sense for it and be able to guess the readings of some new words when they're made of kanji you know. There will always be exceptions but generally it's not as bad as it seems.

Also, if you feel like you aren't getting as much from learning kanji by themselves as you would from just getting more vocabulary in then just go with more vocab. You'll be able to get the kanji from the vocabulary and you'll be learning more actual words which will get you to being able to actually read things faster. Of course, everyone learns a bit differently so do what works for you.

You make a good point. I'll drop kanjidamage for now (put it on hold), increase my vocab cards per day and work on that for a while to see how it'll work out.

Man, it sure takes a while to find out what works out for you the best.

>in MY nihongo thread?!
It's more likely than you think.

youtube.com/user/NTDChinaUncensored

Stay river-froged, china man.

How are the Professor Layton games for someone who has already played them in English? Don't they have some different puzzles in the Japanese version?

What kanas are these supposed to be?
Looks like "gaya" but I'm not sure.

Yea, its gaya.
jisho.org/search/がや

Do japanese have standardised onomatopoeias?

What does this mean?
The first two sounds seem like どす which would be like "threatening" but I can't find what the whole thing is.

maybe it is:
どすっ
どすん

This makes the most sense given the context but the chicken scratch in the manga looks nothing like ん :-/

It's どすっっ(どすっ). The second っ isn't much different from using thummppp instead of thump, only it functions like っ normally does.

You're in for some tough times ahead if you think that's chicken scratch.

The small tsu ッっ when tacked on to the end like that usually adds intensity, sort of like an exclamation point. In JRPGs with voiced dialogue and subtitles, most of the lines ending with it are shouted or something like that.

ユダヤ人は侍が怖い is probably the most natural way to say it.

Why not just find the video and listen to what the jap nazi says in there?

Because I'm doing this to learn, I don't actually care about the phrase itself, it's just a funny thing to practice with.

怖い is an adjective, are you dropping an implied copula?

Does anyone else feel a bit of shame when playing a Japanese game in English now when you could be playing it in Japanese and improving? Usually the games I'm playing in English are too above my skill level but I still kind of feel it.

I only started trying to learn the kanas yesterday so yeah, all of that looks like chicken scratch to me.
Nevertheless, I remain undaunted ツ

is nekopara a good VN to practice grammar for beginners?

You guys and your persistence, even in your slow threads have animated me!
I learned a bit of baguette-speak je ne comprende pas francais trop bien but I don't use it at all….

I might as well check in on this thread when I do my shitposting rounds

There's some not grade school level speech, but it's good what with a built in translation. Tokyo School Life is another with dual language.

Whatever language you choose to learn, you'd better study it every day.

Well, that's the thing. I did practice french every day for about six months. I even get my news french-style. However, I just don't feel like I'm using that much, even with that.

I mean, it kinda kicks but that I understand it as written and can pronounce it slowly as shit and so on, but it's been ages since I've actually spoken it to a real human bean….

Hmm I seem to have had a stroke and missed a few words there. Hopefully the meaning is clear.

This happen to anyone else?

Where do people go to find Raws of mangas?
I've been doing okay and want some more practice reading, but I don't know where to look when it comes to getting raws of some the not as popular mangas i want to read.

Nope. The i ending in i-adjectives basically already has that function. You can add です for extra politeness, but if you add だ it's incorrect.

The guide should mention something about the Cornucopia of Resources which contains a number of manga raws, novels, textbooks & a few movies. If not, you should be able to find it via 4chan /a/'s daily Japanese thread.

Other than that, you should be able to find a few sites & lot of manga by Googling the title of the manga + raws or checking nyaa or something. If you still can't find it, you can always buy it on Amazon or something.

I kind of want to play Majin Tensei but I find the lack of kanji a bit scary. I've been avoiding games without kanji because it makes words harder to look up in my experience. Is there anything I can do to make games like that a bit easier? Are there places online where I can find the scripts with kanji added in or something?

see

I'm not anywhere near as far as you and I feel that way. Only ones I don't feel guilty about are things like Metal Gear Solid, Souls, or Platinum games where the English translation feels like it was the large focus rather than an afterthought and it fits the setting.

Did all those things before asking. I was just looking for other sources
Does nipland not have the ridiculous comic scanning scene Us comics have?
Guess it's getting it off amazon then.

Though man every time I'm searching for raws half the sites listed are the usual mangafox/here/etc

I recently discovered this, thought I'd share, it's extremely fucking funny

Some future releases may add kanji (like Devil Children's PS1 release or the GBA Final Fantasy re-releases) but I know of no universal tool for that.

Yeah, MGS, Dark Souls, Resident Evil, and some other games are the exceptional ones since everything seems so western (though I might play MGS in Japanese someday, I do like Akio Otsuka and some of the other Japanese VAs). Though pretty much everyone I know who's studied Japanese longer than me and are better than I am usually play games in English unless they're a really compelling reason to play them in Japanese. I can understand that, it's nice to not even have to think about reading, though experiencing something in its original language is also great.

Sometimes. Try looking up the game title plus セリフ. That's how I've found some Final Fantasy game scripts, but I've had little luck finding scripts for games that aren't Final Fantasy, it doesn't seem that making game scripts was popular among the Japanese like it was English people before Youtube killed them.

T-thanks user. That really brightened my day.

Trying that I found one for the second game which isn't all that useful since it already has kanji. Closest thing I could find for the first one is this.

dansyaku.cagami.net/dansyaku_majin1_EDsyuu.shtml

It's depressing, please tell me what I have to do, to finally be able to use Japanese.

I want to learn by using it, that's how I learned English, I barely knew anything and had to check words all the time but it was fun learning a new language by using it to play games or read books.

Force yourself to read. I just read Dragon Ball and played JRPGs. Even the simplest things were very difficult at first (it took me 9 hours to get halfway through the first chapter of Dragon Ball. I called it quits, tried again a few months later, and got through the whole thing in four hours), but that's just how it has to be.

how many new words are you learning a day?
it takes much longer than just 3 months for things to really start picking up. you can easily start learning new words by reading children's folktales.

hukumusume.com/douwa/betu/
they even got tracks included with people reading them, hella rad stuff.

Of course you're going to feel burned out if you think you can learn one of the most challenging languages on Earth in just 3 months. Stop overestimating yourself for starters, then pick up some apps to learn some of the basics. Like getting gud at a video game, you'll get there once you invest enough time in it.

Any ideas why that せ at the end seems to have a handakuten rather than a dakuten?

Low resolution font. It's ぜ.

dekinai chan

Is it really bad to start by learning to speak/understanding it before anything else ?
I'm learning to construct sentences only with sound for now, I take notes so I can directly know how to say the words, like:
kino = yesterday
shigoto = work
ikimashita = to go (past)
ka = ?
Then I use it to form sentences on my own like:
"kino shigoto ni ikimashita ka"

I'm very bad with visual things, so I don't believe writing/reading is the way to go for me. I bought a kana and kanji writing book but I'm keeping it for later if I don't give up before

so, uh, say I start trying to learn moon, what if I just do it for like 30 minutes a day, will that be enough? Must I take formal courses? If I don't take formal courses, how long do you think it would take to grasp a basic level of comprehension so that I could at the very least read and watch in moon without any engrish translation?

How hard is it to learn a new language? I only know engrish and have never seriously tried to learn another language. Rosetta Stone a shit, is there some actual worthwhile software I could use to aid my learning process?

I only been doing this for two months straight but I'll try to help
start with hiragana and katakana, it's the basics and easy to learn. After you feel confident with that, try to learn basic vocab. try to play some games or read some doujinshi in Japanese

That's long enough as long as you keep at it. Keep in mind that it is going to take years to learn.

Hiragana and Katakana are the basic alphabet which you'll need to start reading shit. It's pretty easy.

umich.edu/~umichjlp/kana.html
Go here, click on ひらがな, then start from the right and study one column at a time. Get some scratch paper and write each character down a few times (Please don't actually do it 50 times.) There's also sound clips which will tell you the pronunciation. Once you've done that, go to realkana.com/ , then click the little checkboxes at the bottom to select the ones you currently know, then review until you get pretty comfortable with what you know. It may be helpful to speak each character aloud each time you review it.

Rinse and repeat until you've gotten all of Hiragana, then move on to Katakana and do the same thing. If you work hard, you can cover it all in a couple of days.

That will get you started. Refer to the links in the OP for further learning; it has everything you need.

That's right, do it 250 times each.
It's what I did. Worked for me.

The fact that people have learned how to read this nightmare of a language impresses me.

General question, but one thing I notice in some manga is a word will be written in a different way using words that mean different things. Death Note main character's Light thing was an example.

How does that work and is the only way to express that in writing?

Are they using words that sound the same but look different and/or are inflected differently? It's a very interesting concept just cause it seems like a kind of pun.

I'm going through Tae Kim's grammar guide and I have a question:
Does this mean "didn't go everywhere" or "went nowhere" based on the context?

You mean this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Gikun

Not finding any results on google.

I never said I want to know everything after 3months, but it sucks when you can't read ANYTHING like every time it is like this

Guess I'll try to read something that has furigana when I got enough spare time left, I'm kinda busy these past weeks.

You'll learn words wrong, you'll probably pronounce some words wrong when you don't know how to properly write AND say them.
Like you usually drop the "u" in "desu" and the second "i" in "hajimemashite"

Also in case that you write just kino instead of kinou or kinō (like you just did) there won't be anything to indicate that the vowel "o" is supposed to be pronounced different from a normal o.

If you want to be able to read shit do it like everyone else and learn kana and kanji user.

raw.senmanga.com/

look up /a/ archives from half chan

my waifu

Thanks but i had already checked that
Still cant find anything working but amazon links for one of the ones i'm looking for, even though the artist is kinda known for his other work.
Found some for a different manga but its missing a few chapters

This is the example from Tae Kim:

My question: Let's say you went to Comiket last weekend - could saying the same sentence also mean "This weekend, I didn't go everywhere (at the convention)"?

This is one of those fundamental differences between Japanese and English that confuse me. Word by word it means "everywhere, didn't go" but what can it actually mean?

Rather than "everywhere," I think maybe "anywhere" would be a better word for どこにも. Making it "didn't go anywhere."

To break どこにも up into pieces, どこ is kind of like "somewhere," refers to some uncertain place. に is kind of like "to," or "at," it indicates the direction of motion or place of existence. も is, in this case, like "even," like in the phrase "not even a fly." So, all in all, it's something like "(didn't go) even to somewhere."

Hopefully that explanation is alright.

Thanks for the explanation, it seems like どこも is actually less specific than I thought, Tae Kim introduced it as "Everywhere" but Jisho shows:
"Everywhere, wherever; nowhere (with neg. verb), nothing"

It sounds like that sentence could mean even more things than I thought, depending on context.

Thanks for sharing that link, this is is exactly what I needed.

So about a month ago, I posted on one of these threads that I was going to be living in Japan and being a big ol' scumbag, by teaching English.

Turns out it's actually pretty rad. The student's have all been great. I'm pretty sure I just got lucky as balls, but yeah. I'm mostly just posting because screw that guy who said my students would despise me.

Also, I've started buying/trying to read JoJo because I live right next to a second-hand manga store.

What the fuck, how is this related to 十(じゅう) or 日(にち)

jisho.org/word/十日
Look at the kun'yomi listing of the kanji.

So my deck doesn't tell me everything? Do I have to Google each one to learn them properly?

No, just remember that each kanji has multiple readings. You'll learn them instinctively as you continue to learn vocab.

I've been doing the same for about a year now and mostly having a blast, so yeah, can confirm it's a good way to go.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to use fcitx-mozc?
There's plenty around on how to get it running but I haven't found any on how to actually use it.

Been there. I knew it was a problem when I debated on playing the King's Field series in Japanese despite the small amount of text.

Related: Apparently the new Kirby game detects the language of your 3DS and sets the in-game language automatically. Can it be changed in-game or circumvented?

If you're using luma3ds yes. look up changing locales with it
If not you have to use NTR, look up how to change languages with that.

Ha, I'm still using rxTools 2.6 (haven't used my 3DS in months). I need to upgrade, not sure what to. From what I hear I even need to upgrade my OFW to 9.0, I'm on 7.X still.

can you recommend a good way to learn the が particle? I'm sort of struggling with it

nihongoichiban.com/2011/10/05/particle-が-ga/

Just looked this up. I was a bit confused about it myself.

It would seem its usage is more general than what I thought. According to this, it can be used to introduce any new subject to the discussion.

That didnt help much but thanks anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=fQKy44eVYT4

Can anybody help me with Fortune Summoners? I downloaded the game, and every time I try to run it, I get pic related.

it translates to literally 'you are a faggot'

try turning it off and on.

I know enough to understand what it says. Are you going to help or not, faggot?

Maybe you need to change your system locale or run it under compatibility mode.

You need to install a Japanese version of Windows.

I'm learning Spanish

plebs

Have the Spaniards even done anything in vidya recently besides ruin Castlevania?

Just started learning hiragana.

How good will my Japanese be after I'm done with that deck? (let's say I'm done with the grammar as well)
I mean there are 1608 kanji in that deck, but there exist quite a few more than that.

Will I already be good enough, so I only add words I don't know every now and then, or do I have to go for another deck after that?

Your Japanese will truly improve only with practical application, such as reading, speaking, or writing. Everything else you do is just to enable that.

がんばって!

They want some of that BWC

Quick question. I started reading Yotsuba this morning and I've already run across two characters I've never seen. I can't even tell if they're kanji or kana, they look like kana though.

The first kinda looks like the shi/so/n/tsu katakana, but that's all I can get from it.

The second looks like either a backwards 'to', or a 'tsu' with a line out of it.

just delete the card

1st one: い
2nd one: う

could you help a nigga out and tell us how you scored that job

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
きようは

The bait in this post is most epic.

Not him, but I started doing something (probably) similar about a year ago. A big thing in Japan right now are what they call "Eikaiwa" or "English conversation" schools, which are basically places where people come to talk with native English speakers. I can't speak on exactly how every company does it, but the one I work for, Nova, has you "teach" a really basic lesson for about 40 minutes per session. Their recruitment site is here: nova.co.jp/hd/teachinjapan/home.html While I don't see it now, in the past it's said that they only want college graduates (regardless of degree) but considering the huge demand lately due to the Olympics and the lack of instructors, the absence of that requirement on the page could be meaningful. Either way, take a look at this, and if you've any questions I'll answer as best I can though I'm actually going to be heading out to work at said Eikaiwa in about an hour or so, so if I don't reply for a bit, that's why

Let us know how it went, buddy.

私はとても遅いと思います。あなた達の日本語の勉強はどうですか?

Eh, just another day at the office really. Luckily had mostly high level students today, so got to get a little more creative with a couple lessons since they have the ability. Last night was better though, spent half of my last lesson talking with a salaryman about how shitty it was that arcades are dying out and kids are playing on cell phones instead of consoles more and more.

たった一年でもうN3か?立派だと思うぜ。N3挑んだことはないけど、N2をやる勇気が湧いたのはもう九年の間勉強した頃だし、まだN1に挑んだことはない。でもまぁ、この際、進歩に必要なのは実戦経験で、仕事ではほとんど英語を使ってるんだから、地味に進むしかない。

….but I am learning japanese. In fact, I reccently stated translating this doujinshi.
exhentai.org/g/933745/de0b776a75/

y tho

you need Jesus

I was looking through it and i realized that with basic hiragana and katakana knowlege, plus knowing the kanji for 8man and Totsuka I could get the general gist of it.It was also a good way for me to start my word-hunt.

HAHAHA YOU'RE A FLAMING FUCKING FAGGOT LOSER

Neat, I'll keep an eye out for the upload.

nice job user!
keep at it.

I have a thread over at /a/ as well.
8ch.net/a/res/474923.html

Keep making dad proud, son.

Anyone here order from Play Asia or Yes Asia? How are they? I ordered from Play Asia once, but that was six years ago, companies can change. They still good? I was thinking about ordering from Yes Asia this time since it has free shipping and I can get some games cheaper from it than Play Asia. Is their service good? I've heard it's slow, it can take a week or two to ship out. Does it also take weeks to get your orders?

I haven't used anything other than Play Asia, but I like them. I ordered a package and it took one and a half days to arrive at my door from Hong Kong.

No I'm confused. In genki it's spelled きのう

It should be "Now I'm confused"

He is just a fucking idiot.

He should've written it either "kinō" or "kinou" or using Hiragana like anyone that isn't a retard would've done.

bump

So apparently if you are using ankidroid you're most likely getting fucked kanji sometimes.
You get chinese kanji to be exact.

Here are some examples.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification

Does anyone know how to fix this?

So I'm using an Anki Kanji deck and I see all the pronunciations of each Kanji, some of them more than others, is it recommended to learn every single one of them or should I learn what the meaning of the Kanji and just let the pronunciations be learned in the future when I'm using them in sentences and/or words?

whats a good jav with pegging?

see

It's pointless and basically impossible to learn all the readings of all the kanji like that. Learn them through practice.

anyone know what yuma asami is doing now?

i wanted to marry her someday but she cant have kids anymore so thats out

Ah that's a big relief to hear. At worst I'm learning atleast one reading so I can type it out on my computer.

Thank you very much for showing me his post.